Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 7, 2023 9:32 AM

Nov 2011
Damn, I wish Megumi stayed around longer. She was getting along with everyone except maybe Sagara. Leaving a note like that seems out of character for her.

Still, I love how Yahiko intimidated his enemy while Kenshin took care of business like usual. Megumi got herself into some pretty messy drama.
Sep 7, 2023 9:32 AM

May 2020
Kind of goes without saying why Sanosuke’s so pissed off over Megumi, I mean it was that opium who she helped in making which ultimately resulted in the demise of his friend. She could reflect however she wants, but it’s the truth anyways. So, it might be the guilt, that’s why it didn’t take her even a second thought to take upon Kanryu’s offer or more like a threat, and return back to his base.

Though good guys being good guys, Kenshin and co, too didn’t even think twice before leaving for the rescue mission. Sanosuke might not be willing to cooperate in the beginning, but hey a pep talk is all it took. Though I find it kind of hilarious how Megumi decided to visit Kanryu in person to let him know about her true intentions of leaving him and his side lol, I mean the whole of oniwaban is by his side, so outsmarting Kanryu would’ve never happened anyways.

Now since Kenshin and everyone has already arrived, it didn’t take much long until they made a mess out of the whole of Kanryu’s army. Also, fool him trying to buy Kenshin lol, though it did nothing but made him more even more angry. Anyways, now the fights will start properly.
Sep 7, 2023 9:34 AM

Nov 2007
airing even later comparing to today, at 25:15 JST next.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Sep 7, 2023 11:30 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Megumi sure has intergrated herself into the dojo. Right down to facing the death glare from kaoru whenever she makes a move on Kenshin. Its gonna hard for Sano since his friend did pass due to the opium. Kanryu really knows how to build cages thats for sure. Yahiko though sure has guts. Kenshin's technique is akin to a small AOE attack lol. The airdrop Yahiko technique pioneered by Sano sure was effective. Looking forward to seeing Kenshin and co face the might of the Oniwaban as they storm the mansion.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 7, 2023 11:56 AM

Feb 2019
Another fire ruroni episode, we’re about to be in for some true peak over the next few weeks 🙏🏾

As usual Kaoru main priority is making sure Megumi doesn’t steal her man 😂 maybe learn to cook Ohagi as well as Megumi does and you won’t have to worry about it.

Even though the gang accepted Megumi and is willing to help her move forward with her life, it’s understandable that she would still have doubts about whether or not she deserves that redemption. No shock that Kanryū was able to play on her fears and get her to come back.

Sano being reluctant to help also makes sense. He went along with things for the past few weeks because Kanryū’s gang launched a direct attack on them. But as far as going after Megumi who willingly walked away I can understand that after losing a friend to the opium crisis, he’s not so inclined to help. It’s one thing to know about people in town dying vs actually knowing friends that have died. Makes it way more personal. In the end, a little talk no jutsu got him to do the right thing.

Megumi willing to go on a suicide mission is commendable. She knew she wasn’t coming out of that mansion and was willing to take Kanryu down with her. Im actually more surprised that he didn’t expect a potential assassination attempt. He must’ve thought he had her completely broken. A testament to the impact that Kenshin and the rest have had on her in such a short time.

Speaking of Kenshin, damn, he’s not playing around. Cutting down and throwing a lamp post, giving a firm hour deadline to release Megumi etc. The murderous intent was so palpable from his eyes. can’t wait to see him take on this mansion gauntlet. That ending was chills.
Marinate1016Sep 7, 2023 12:05 PM
Sep 7, 2023 12:03 PM
Sep 2016
Definitely the hardest end of episode to endure so far. It's getting really good.
Sep 7, 2023 12:09 PM

Dec 2021
I'm really enjoying the friendly rivalry and banter between Megumi and Kaoru. Poor Kenshin's stuck in the middle of it all, haha.

It's surprising that Kanryu would still try to mess with Megumi, knowing she's with Team Kenshin. He's practically asking for a beating, and Kenshin, Sano, and Yahiko are more than happy to oblige. He thought guns would save him, but they're no match for Kenshin.

No matter how powerful Aoshi is, he's not even in the same league as Kenshin. The same goes for his henchmen.

Sep 7, 2023 12:10 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So begins the assault on Kanryu's mansion by Team Kenshin after Kanryu's men threaten and kidnapped her. They managed to clear the 50 men that was stationed outside of the mansion, but as soon as the entered the building Han'nya was waiting for them leading to Kenshin to fight one on one against one of the members of the Oniwaban group.
Sep 7, 2023 12:11 PM
Jan 2021
Hell yeah, guys, the moment is finally coming!! I can't wait for the coming weeks!!
Sep 7, 2023 12:23 PM
May 2021
This arc was peak in the manga 😜
Sep 7, 2023 1:21 PM
May 2014
Good setup episode!
Sep 7, 2023 1:32 PM
Feb 2021
The score keeps getting lower lmao, so many dumb people around. Always respect Rurouni!
Sep 7, 2023 2:01 PM

Jul 2021
Hope the animation goes up a few notches next episode, need those fights to hit hard
Them storming the mansion reminded me of Arlong Park/Soul Society, I love me a good rescue arc
Sep 7, 2023 2:04 PM
Jun 2017
I hated how they skipped the fight between sanosuke and shikijo because I because I believe the moment it happened in the og anime was the best time for the battle. I honestly question now whether I'd like this iteration of rurouni Kenshin or not.
Sep 7, 2023 2:22 PM

Jan 2011
a bit too many stillshots this time
Sep 7, 2023 3:12 PM

Jun 2015
One simply does not mess with kenhis and his crew. Even ambivalent bad guy given Megumi a blade does not understand whats about to happen. They kinapped soneone precious forced into a trade, and now they think they can manipulate that story. Kensi sees true human spirit and he will crush anything in front of him to protect it!!!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Sep 7, 2023 4:01 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Leave it to Kenshin to overcome massive odds, of course we know he’s dealt with a large amount of swordsmen before but he even dealt with a firing squad lol, it was with the assistance of Sanosuke and Yahiko tho, I guess the way to win using a sword against a gun is to keep the gun from firing at all and using a person as a projectile lol. And I’m ngl I was surprised that Megumi managed to even get a weapon in the same room as Kanryu, you’d think they would have searched her but perhaps not, it was a good effort tho.

And despite Kanryu’s efforts to hire Kenshin instead of fighting, Kenshin was having none of that if slicing that lamppost didn’t make it obvious lol. It was also interesting seeing some conflict between Kanryu and the leader of the Oniwaban Group, I’m betting Kanryu isn’t gonna take that sitting down and it will probably involve whatever it was he got from the Americans last episode. And now our main trio is going to have to face the Oniwaban Group head on, I’m sure there are gonna be some very exciting fights!
Sep 7, 2023 5:04 PM
Aug 2020
i continue to enjoy this remake
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Sep 7, 2023 5:31 PM

Mar 2019
Megumi is the nicest girl, Kaoru is very annoying. :v
Sep 7, 2023 5:47 PM
Oct 2016
Team Kenshin will get Megumi back no matter what! Storming the evil Castle to rescue the stolen maiden, a tale as old as time. Things for quiet for a week as each aide recovered but now Kanryu makes his move to take back Megumi. Threatening to burn down Kaoru dojo if Megumi doesn't come with him. With her immense feeling of guilt she goes back to him, hoping to somehow atone foe creating the opium that has ravaged so many lives. Sanosuke is understandably upset after finding that out especially with his friend dying from that opium. I'm glad that Kenshin, Yahiko and Kaoru could convince Sanosuke to go help get Megumi back. Kenshin needs all the help he can get going against a private army like this one Kanryu has. They did well defeating fifty of them in front of the castle to start. Kenshin wasn't too happy at Kanryu trying to bribe his way out of this, Kenshin has too much integrity for something like that. His display of anger cutting the lamps post and sending it flying at the window was awesome. The leader of the group Kanryu hired having none of this foolishness and taking control of the situation. The ominous Hannryu will look to tale first blood from Kenshin!
Sep 7, 2023 6:10 PM

Apr 2022
megumi still making moves on kenshin lol that early part of the episode was nice. but now kenshin, sanosuke and yahiko storm the bulding, wasn't as cool as i remember it in the '96 anime but still cool nonetheless.
Sep 7, 2023 6:36 PM
Dec 2013
Honestly shocking how unpopular this is compared to Fruits Basket (2019) after 10 episodes.
Sep 7, 2023 7:05 PM
Nov 2020
I loved that scene when Kensin sliced the light pole. I’m pretty excited for this series!
Sep 7, 2023 7:37 PM
Jan 2021
Reply to wildhood
Honestly shocking how unpopular this is compared to Fruits Basket (2019) after 10 episodes.
@wildhood

I completely agree! I don't understand either. I'm a big fan of the original series and the Manga is tied in first place with Fullmetal on my list too. I'm loving this remake and I hope they adapt all of the Manga this time, with no fillers, like what happened with Fullmetal.
People who went to the trouble of not recommending this series complained that it was too 90s...🙄🙄🙄 That's like saying "Well, you know, I would just prefer if the Sistine Chapel was less "renaissancy"
Sep 7, 2023 9:03 PM

Mar 2007
Another episode with good fights.

• Megumi is intimidated into meeting with Kanryuu
  • He threatens to burn down the dojo she's staying at, if she doesn't return to him because "trash" like her doesn't have any other place to be
  • Sanosuke is cold to Megumi, saying he can't eat anything made by Opium Girl, he holds her indirectly responsible for his friend's death. Can't really blame him since she did all breaking bad cooking meth opium all by herself.
  • Megumi leaves a note saying she's going home
  • She attempts to assassinate Kanryuu but is stopped by Aoshi, the master of the Ninja Oniwabanshū
  • Kenshin and gang quickly figure out what's going on, and he rushes to Kanryuu's mansion with Sanosuke and Yahiko.
  • Blam, the private army of cannon fodder are quickly swept aside
  • The whole 1 hour thing seems like it's not really going to happen
  • Aoshi dumps Megumi at the observatory, he only cares that "bait" like her managed to bring him Himura Battousai, a worthy opponent for him to fight! I love his voice, it's so deep and authoritative, just lovely.

I love the whole Yahiko / Sanosuke banter. The only thing I'm kind of missing is why Kaoru wasn't with them? Will she show up later or does 1 person need to stay back to protect the dojo?
Sep 7, 2023 11:16 PM

Nov 2021
Yahiko's "Don't fall behind" actually made me laugh lmao, and damn Kenshin slicing that lamppost was just badass
Sep 8, 2023 2:24 AM
Sep 2021
The battle against the onibawa group has just started excited for all the fights in this arc.
Sep 8, 2023 2:39 AM

Jan 2017
Taro-Tanaka said:
I hated how they skipped the fight between sanosuke and shikijo because I because I believe the moment it happened in the og anime was the best time for the battle.

That fight was good because it's Sano , who had a conflicted relationship with Megumi , that actually try to stop and save her.
But it was not too good , because Sano does not even hesitate , when he does not like or respect her much at that time...

Well , it was filler anyway , so like many small alterations the Original Anime made , we won't see them here.

Stormy_77 said:
The only thing I'm kind of missing is why Kaoru wasn't with them? Will she show up later or does 1 person need to stay back to protect the dojo?

Alexioos95Sep 8, 2023 11:20 AM
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Sep 8, 2023 5:53 AM
Oct 2019
The battle against Onibawa group just started.

I can't wait for Kenshin vs Aoshi.
Sep 8, 2023 7:13 AM

Jul 2016
Reply to jas-samaaa
This arc was peak in the manga 😜
@jas-samaaa

The ending was great (still to come) but I found this part quite slow and boring.
Sep 8, 2023 9:11 AM

May 2015
So this is the time to go in Aoshi's castle, the decisive battle is coming !
Sep 8, 2023 10:12 AM

Jun 2015
'Everyone but the pages is all outside.. Listen closely... That man is here!'
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Sep 8, 2023 1:52 PM

Mar 2007
Reply to Alexioos95
Taro-Tanaka said:
I hated how they skipped the fight between sanosuke and shikijo because I because I believe the moment it happened in the og anime was the best time for the battle.

That fight was good because it's Sano , who had a conflicted relationship with Megumi , that actually try to stop and save her.
But it was not too good , because Sano does not even hesitate , when he does not like or respect her much at that time...

Well , it was filler anyway , so like many small alterations the Original Anime made , we won't see them here.

Stormy_77 said:
The only thing I'm kind of missing is why Kaoru wasn't with them? Will she show up later or does 1 person need to stay back to protect the dojo?

@Alexioos95 That whole bit with
still rubs me the wrong way, which is why I maybe preferred the older version.

She's supposed to be the heir to a sword style, not some shrinking violet housewife wannabe waiting and cooking dinner while the men fight.

The worst part is ... she may not be on the level of the enemy but neither is that child, Yahiko, and they let him go along because he's male?? Ugh.
Sep 8, 2023 2:11 PM

Feb 2012
Sano is naturally resentful for his friend's sake.
Megumi tries to assassinate Kanryu and have the secret of the opium die with them both but is prevented by Aoshi . Kanryu mentions how he went too far with his previous supplier.
Kenshin and Sano use sword, fists and human projectile Yahiko against Kanryu's private army in front of his mansion. The nighttime battle is as much a view here as in the movie.

Kenshin's walking away for Kanryu to "prepare" only to slice that lamppost was freaking badass.

I'm sure looking forward to the fight against the Oniwaban now Team Kenshin are inside the mansion.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Sep 8, 2023 2:55 PM

Jan 2017
Stormy_77 said:
She's supposed to be the heir to a sword style

She doesn't really care about that tho.
All she wants , is to be sure that the legacy of her father is not lost.

And making her take part in most fights would totally ruin what she's supposed to represent for Kenshin.
She's his whole support , someone he can find when he comes back home , and fight at his fullest knowing he's protecting her.
Well , she's also supposed to embody his haven of peace , which he has finally reached after his years of wandering (physical and mental) , but people just won't let him rest...

But Watsuki did admit that he could have done better , and he kinda fixed that in Tokuhitsuban.
She fight more , but her relationship with Kenshin is also weaker... It being a short Manga kinda impacted that too tho.

Stormy_77 said:
The worst part is ... she may not be on the level of the enemy but neither is that child, Yahiko, and they let him go along because he's male?? Ugh.

Initiatory journey !
Like near all Shounen Nekketsu , one of the major theme (cliche/code) is the initiatory journey (Growing from a young and "useless" kid , to an accomplished and successfull adult) of a character.

Rurouni Kenshin shattered the cliche by making the protagonist much older than all Shounen Mangas , and he even already had a life full of events , which makes him drown in regrets. But for the targeted readers , Kenshin is completely unrelatable... It would definitely impact the feelings of the reader , and thus , the sells of the Manga.

To fix this problem , Watsuki made an initiatory journey for one of his side-main character (Yahiko) instead.
A young kid , a beggar that has everything to learn , and will fight next to the strongest swordman , but will learn under a master specialized in protecting... That's inspiring for the kids who read this story. And of course , it has to be a male , because the reader is one too. (Or atleast , he was supposed to be)
That's the same for Goku in Dragon Ball , Naruto in Naruto , Luffy in One Piece , and even Gon in Hunter x Hunter.

Kaoru could have taken this role... but then , what about her romance with Kenshin ? What about what Kenshin sees in her ? It would not work.
Alexioos95Sep 8, 2023 3:02 PM
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Sep 8, 2023 8:19 PM

Jul 2022
What a great episode.
Love the battle, and more to come
Sep 8, 2023 9:19 PM

Mar 2007
Reply to Alexioos95
Stormy_77 said:
She's supposed to be the heir to a sword style

She doesn't really care about that tho.
All she wants , is to be sure that the legacy of her father is not lost.

And making her take part in most fights would totally ruin what she's supposed to represent for Kenshin.
She's his whole support , someone he can find when he comes back home , and fight at his fullest knowing he's protecting her.
Well , she's also supposed to embody his haven of peace , which he has finally reached after his years of wandering (physical and mental) , but people just won't let him rest...

But Watsuki did admit that he could have done better , and he kinda fixed that in Tokuhitsuban.
She fight more , but her relationship with Kenshin is also weaker... It being a short Manga kinda impacted that too tho.

Stormy_77 said:

Initiatory journey !
Like near all Shounen Nekketsu , one of the major theme (cliche/code) is the initiatory journey (Growing from a young and "useless" kid , to an accomplished and successfull adult) of a character.

Rurouni Kenshin shattered the cliche by making the protagonist much older than all Shounen Mangas , and he even already had a life full of events , which makes him drown in regrets. But for the targeted readers , Kenshin is completely unrelatable... It would definitely impact the feelings of the reader , and thus , the sells of the Manga.

To fix this problem , Watsuki made an initiatory journey for one of his side-main character (Yahiko) instead.
A young kid , a beggar that has everything to learn , and will fight next to the strongest swordman , but will learn under a master specialized in protecting... That's inspiring for the kids who read this story. And of course , it has to be a male , because the reader is one too. (Or atleast , he was supposed to be)
That's the same for Goku in Dragon Ball , Naruto in Naruto , Luffy in One Piece , and even Gon in Hunter x Hunter.

Kaoru could have taken this role... but then , what about her romance with Kenshin ? What about what Kenshin sees in her ? It would not work.
@Alexioos95

Well Kaoru is totally failing at keeping her father's sword style alive. She does zero marketing (fighting) and thus has no paying students, except this one random kid who is a freeloader. IDK how she's going to manage to run the business, repair the dojo or anything else. All I've seen her do in the new season is sell / pawn off her father's belongings to have enough money for food to feed the boys. Personally I find this aggraving in many levels.

I don't read manga (as a general rule, due to lack of time) so I get why you're passionate about explaining why certain things are depicted the way they are, aka Kaoro reduced to supporting weak AF "taskete" love interest + cringe jealousy for comedic effect, also why Yahiko is proxy for shounen readers. It still doesn't detract from the fact that this is still a problem with the writing / characters. I know this is a shounen, and I'm more in the adult demographic, but I still feel there are problems with things being depicted thus.

IMO Kenshin should have outgrown the events in Trust x Betrayal, where all he wanted was some meek housewife (who ended up being ... much more devious than he gave her credit for). He may want to protect helpless women, but I've always thought what drew him to Kaoru is not the fact that she's helpless, but rather, that she's much LESS helpless than most women of that era, thus earning some of his respect. She's still not going to be super OP, but she's already better than 99.9% of the females of that time, thus making her special to him.
Sep 8, 2023 9:41 PM
Mar 2015
Now the real boss the Oniwaban group
Sep 9, 2023 12:17 AM

Jan 2017
Stormy_77 said:
Well Kaoru is totally failing at keeping her father's sword style alive.

Her business was running extremely fine just before the start of the story.
And Yahiko alone is more than enough now. He's fated to become one of the strongest swordman ever.

Stormy_77 said:
IDK how she's going to manage to run the business, repair the dojo or anything else. All I've seen her do in the new season is sell / pawn off her father's belongings to have enough money for food to feed the boys.

Yes , and it's actually never explained.
Some people speculate that the paiting she sold was extremely pricey , or that she gets paid when she trains in another dojo.

But it's not important for the story , and thus is just magically solved in the background.

Stormy_77 said:
It still doesn't detract from the fact that this is still a problem with the writing / characters. I know this is a shounen, and I'm more in the adult demographic, but I still feel there are problems with things being depicted thus.

That's true , but that's just how it is.
Absolutely all Shounen Nekketsu are like that , even nowadays.

Stormy_77 said:
thus earning some of his respect.

She did , but not because of her fighting ability , but her strong will and her mindset.

To begin with , he stays in her dojo because he was impacted by how she tells him she does not need to know hist past , and made his decision when she learned that he was Battosai , but still wanted "the Rurouni" to stay.

And when we know that Kenshin

It's not very clear when Kenshin starts to like her romantically tho.
Atleast , there is a very important scene in the last Arc of the Manga where it's the most probable he released it.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Sep 9, 2023 4:03 AM
Sep 2016
Huh, I might need to re-read the manga again sometime in the future. I remember seeing Shikijo fight on the gate, but I also remember the Shikijo fight took place on the stairways. The problem is, due to how the old anime changes things from the manga, I'm not really sure which one is the one from the manga. Due to how the new adaptation progresses (and that it's loyal towards the manga), I guess the Shikijo fight in the stairways is the one from the manga, huh.

The BGM from this EP's beginning (in the dojo, the one with the guitar), I'm failrly sure it was a rendition of one of the BGM from the old anime. Maybe I was wrong?

I always like the whipping-blunt-metalllic sound of the sakabatou hitting the opponent in this new adaptation. This EP has so many of the SE during the gate rush scene, it's so satisfying. I somehow can feel the blade hitting me just from the sound alone. The sakabatou can't cut, but from those sound alone, it does seem still would feel really hurt to be on its receiving end...
uncleqrowSep 9, 2023 4:08 AM
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Sep 9, 2023 4:41 AM

Jan 2017
uncleqrow said:
Due to how the new adaptation progresses (and that it's loyal towards the manga), I guess the Shikijo fight in the stairways is the one from the manga, huh.

Yes. The first showdown at the gates was filler.

uncleqrow said:
The BGM from this EP's beginning (in the dojo, the one with the guitar), I'm failrly sure it was a rendition of one of the BGM from the old anime. Maybe I was wrong?

Nah. I think the closest would be the Akabeko's OST , and it's already very different.
They already used this OST twice before tho , at the very beginning of Episode 04 and 06.
Alexioos95Sep 9, 2023 4:46 AM
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Sep 9, 2023 8:03 AM

Nov 2011
As a person who actually practices katana martial arts, I started wondering last times how Kenshin does "noto", which is putting sword back to saya. Because in most of traditional ways, he would just cut his fingers with reverse edge. I did some research on how to fight with sakaboto, and it's of course doable. But in animation, at least in this episode, I'm almost sure he would loose his finger. :p I'm going to put more attention to this from now on. xD
Sep 9, 2023 9:38 AM
Jul 2023
The way the rating of this anime is going down, I now have bad feelings about Aniplex will continue this anime to the last or not.
Sep 9, 2023 10:22 AM

Jan 2017
Miraz_Un_Nabi said:
The way the rating of this anime is going down, I now have bad feelings about Aniplex will continue this anime to the last or not.

The popularirty of a work outside of Japan has absolutely no weight in the decision of the producer , who cares only for their own market (Japan). So do not look at the ratings of MAL for that.

We'll have to see how well the Blu-rays sell in Japan.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Sep 9, 2023 5:58 PM

Aug 2011
excellent!!

well-executed episode!!
Sep 9, 2023 7:17 PM

Sep 2011
Reply to wildhood
@wildhood Fruits basket already had a couple of highs within 10 episodes, Episodes 5 and 7 hit like a truck whereas prior to that the reception was far more muted and had a score around where Kenshin is at. Kenshin really doesn't have any big emotional hooks this early in the series. past that its really comparing apples to oranges as a Supernatural slice of life dealing with extremely relatable explorations of grief and loss is gonna carry completely different audiences and appeals to an action shounen with a focus on a specific historical setting and atonement especially when said action is kind of just, fine, so its banking entirely on the whole setting and atonement thing which it hasn't really gotten into all that much yet.
JizzyHitlerSep 9, 2023 7:40 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 9, 2023 8:26 PM

Mar 2007
Reply to Alexioos95
Stormy_77 said:
Well Kaoru is totally failing at keeping her father's sword style alive.

Her business was running extremely fine just before the start of the story.
And Yahiko alone is more than enough now. He's fated to become one of the strongest swordman ever.

Stormy_77 said:
IDK how she's going to manage to run the business, repair the dojo or anything else. All I've seen her do in the new season is sell / pawn off her father's belongings to have enough money for food to feed the boys.

Yes , and it's actually never explained.
Some people speculate that the paiting she sold was extremely pricey , or that she gets paid when she trains in another dojo.

But it's not important for the story , and thus is just magically solved in the background.

Stormy_77 said:
It still doesn't detract from the fact that this is still a problem with the writing / characters. I know this is a shounen, and I'm more in the adult demographic, but I still feel there are problems with things being depicted thus.

That's true , but that's just how it is.
Absolutely all Shounen Nekketsu are like that , even nowadays.

Stormy_77 said:
thus earning some of his respect.

She did , but not because of her fighting ability , but her strong will and her mindset.

To begin with , he stays in her dojo because he was impacted by how she tells him she does not need to know hist past , and made his decision when she learned that he was Battosai , but still wanted "the Rurouni" to stay.

And when we know that Kenshin

It's not very clear when Kenshin starts to like her romantically tho.
Atleast , there is a very important scene in the last Arc of the Manga where it's the most probable he released it.
@Alexioos95

1. IDK about Yahiko being enough for now, it's not like he's a paying customer or anything.

2. Kaoru is a terrible businesswoman, IDK about this "other dojo" side hustle, but at some stage the $$ from the painting will run out.

3. I guess I was hoping that since it's a re-make, they have been given another opportunity to 'get with the times' and fix any issues with the source material to improve it. Not just brush up on the animation. So the new Kaoru feels like a step back than the previous version, even if she does keep her whole "I'm not judging your past actions" philosophy.
Sep 9, 2023 8:57 PM
Anime Archivist

Aug 2019
It's all come down to this, the Group with its underlings vs Kenshin + co. Of course the low level army mobs are little more than fodder for them. Even the kid gets to have a little action while obviously not getting thrown into any impossible situations.

I don't know what the businessman was thinking when he offered heaps of money in exchange for her, the guy did his research he should have known Kenshin wasn't motivated by money. Oh well. I guess the Group gave her a way out by returning her dagger, maybe that counts as some amount of humanity?

Regardless, I look forward to the moment where Kenshin and the others welcome her away from her role as the "opium girl". I think she deserves a break from the drug business.
Sep 9, 2023 11:29 PM

Jan 2017
Stormy_77 said:
1. IDK about Yahiko being enough for now, it's not like he's a paying customer or anything.

What i meant to say is that he's enough to keep the swordstyle alive.
As for money

Stormy_77 said:
3. I guess I was hoping that since it's a re-make, they have been given another opportunity to 'get with the times' and fix any issues with the source material to improve it. Not just brush up on the animation.

Progressivism is typically a Western thing (especially the USA). The rest of the world doesn't care , and definitely not Japan.
They have a very high amount of respect for the Authors and their creations , and won't change anything because "the world need to change".

Only very , very few Animes actually "re-actualized" the source material , and of the ones i know , they just changed the setting , not the characters.
This Kenshin adaptation's goal is to be closer to the source material , so it's definitely not one of them

And if you look at the recent works , none of them changed anything to those cliches/treatment of characters either.

I'd recommend you to read Tokuhitsuban.
It fixed some of the shortcomings (Like money or Kaoru's role) , and it's only 11 Chapters long.
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

– Edgar Allan Poe.

– Alexioos95.
Sep 10, 2023 7:16 AM

Sep 2008
I think this is the point where I'll be dropping this. While more faithful to the manga compared to the 90s anime in terms of story, it feels a bit too subdued with tone and musical choices (questionable J-pop OP not withstanding) compared to what the original series offered up, which I'll admit has started to kill my immersion into the series. Might revisit this series when its fully released and I can marathon through it. But for now, guess I'm tuning out of this.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How many episodes did this remake?

phantom346 - May 14

3 by Alexioos95 »»
May 14, 11:30 PM

» The sound design is epic

saikyozero - Jul 6, 2023

6 by banshee229 »»
Apr 21, 6:05 PM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan (2023) Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2023

101 by Jirokissaw »»
Apr 11, 3:28 PM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan (2023) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2023

70 by Videogamecoper »»
Apr 4, 3:59 PM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan (2023) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2023

290 by mdshies »»
Mar 31, 11:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.