Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 11, 2023 9:59 AM

Nov 2011
They gave Helck a badass intro, or at least for the first few minutes. That OP song is also kinda catchy.

However, I find Vamirio much more amusing to watch because of her personality and some of her overreactions. I do love some of the talent Helck has shown already in this first episode already though. He's living up to the title's name. Pretty entertaining stuff imo.
Jul 11, 2023 9:59 AM

Jul 2017
At long last, mangaka Nanaki Nanao's Helck is due for a full adaptation since the manga's end in 2017, and wait 6.5 years, we finally get Satelight's 2-cour back-to-back adaptation.

In a distant land, the Demon Lord is defeated by a lone hero, and humankind reels in joy, while the Demon Realm has to crown a new Lord in replacement of the one that the Hero killed. In the pursuit, the tournament's manager Vermilio of Red (in replacement of Azudra) and sub-manager Hon assessing the current candidates, though finding a human hero by the name of Helck who abhors humans, Vermilio is furious, though rules have been placed beforehand like the Deep Green Contract, Helck just blazing through the preliminaries to become the next Demon Lord does not sit right with her, much ado being the favourite to win with a level of 99, and being friendly with the demons as well. As to be expected, a human hero infiltrating the ranks is not good, but Hon suggests that he play cards with Vampirio to try and quell her anger. NGL, Vermilio's anger is quite the hilarity to see her be so disingenuous with Helck's behaviours.

As Vermilio's infomant of demonkin Asta investgates on anything about Helck to her twin Ista through drinking coffee, the next Demon Lord challenge in forming a literate house of poker cards, it's a test of patience and skill, though Helck does this in a display of valour by blowing everyone's movements away into super concentration mode. The other candidates thinking that Helck is cheating, another competitor of Kenros the Godspeed makes the point clear that it's the same logic as the protecting the Demon Lord's Castle, it's quite a sound judgement...that the others are now in retaliation against him and Helck. With that, Helck continues to completely dominate the competition from cards to even cooking...the demon realm is so fun! At this point, Vermilio is beyond her anger control, though what the twins found that apart from being the worst criminal with a huge bounty on his head for committing fratricide, he's the brother of the legendary Hero Cress who defeated the Demon Lord Thor, that there were actually more than 1 hero at the time.

Other than Asta and Ista's report being confusing as heck, more reports come in of another demon kingdom's falling...is Helck being a decoy while more heroes defeat more demon realms, what's the deal behind Helck's participation in a demon-only event?

Decent adaptation of the manga aside, this an interesting show that'll give its audience a run for its money. Gonna be sticking around for more.
KANLen09Jul 11, 2023 12:24 PM
Jul 11, 2023 11:03 AM

Jul 2021
Well I find it understandable how Vamirio heavily despises Helck, she was very loud. But he is just that guy man. Thought it was a such a strat when he blowed up everyone's *almost done* card towers and the other participants started showing such a speed of light. Still I wonder what other kind of crimes Helck would commit, I know he's dangerous amongst others in history and he even killed his own brother...
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jul 11, 2023 11:51 AM
Jul 2021
Pretty good first episode! I would've never expected the random card game in the tournament...lol Vamilio + Hon trying to find ways to disqualify Helck but he proved he's just better than other contestants. Helck and Vamirio seem so hilarious though I don't see the comedy tag. Plot seems very intriguing, surely kept me interested! 5/5
Jul 11, 2023 11:59 AM
Mar 2021
this was pretty funny and entertaining. I'll be keeping an eye on this
Jul 11, 2023 12:08 PM

Aug 2013
Gave me some Hunter X Hunter vibes.

This looks really good. Has epicness and comedy. Good animation and character design. Also nice music.

Hype.
Jul 11, 2023 12:10 PM
May 2020
Pretty interesting, looking forward to the next ep.
Jul 11, 2023 12:12 PM

Jul 2011
Hey, they may be demons, but they have no space for racism.

Everyone is funny.
Jul 11, 2023 12:14 PM
Dec 2020
w episode i heard it gets better
Jul 11, 2023 12:16 PM

Jul 2017
Read the manga around 3 and a half years ago and considering how burnt out I was with consuming bad fantasy anime/manga, this one was actually pretty solid. So hearing this get an anime announcement was nice, especially since it is a full adaptation of the manga. My only worries were how the adaptation was going to be since I didn't want this to be too rushed since they need to cover the whole source material.

As far as the first episode goes, wasn't too bad. A bit fast but nothing egregious whatsoever, animation was safe but fairly consistent too which is fine. Had some nice comedic moments with Vamirio constantly failing to stop Helck from dominating the tournament, even failing herself despite her attempt to rig the results due to a delicious dessert winning her over. Didn't get to see Helck speak much but he has got charisma for sure, definitely was there for the demon crowd to cheer him on wholeheartedly there. Was worried this could end up being a mess but for a start, pretty decent overall.

The next few episodes will be more telling though as to how the pacing of this adaptation is going to be. The story does improve after this initial phase so hopefully this adaptation can be done justice. If so, this could be the sleeper hit of the season for me.
Jul 11, 2023 12:18 PM

Jun 2015
Im sensing potential in this new trope of people going to the demon side and helping because humans do suck. And this one has a different approach as hes a hero born and not a millenia old death bot. Good get fun. Keep em coming, next eps pls!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Jul 11, 2023 12:28 PM

Dec 2012
Helck looks more like something of a He-Man instead of a typical anime character lol
Show was alright, not spectacular but it makes you want to discover his true intentions 
Jul 11, 2023 12:30 PM

Feb 2019
Wow I really liked this first episode, Hidive really been cooking lately with their seasonals.

At first glance, feels like a He-man or Conan the barbarian anime lol.

Another tale of two halves style premiere. First half leans heavily into the comedic side with gags about Helck being OP and human etc. Considering the demons are at war with humanity it makes sense why Vamirio would be sceptical.

The second half is where things really got interesting for me, though. They set up that there’s a lot more to Helck than meets the eye. His backstory is pretty sus, and then there’s the issue of what happened to the human realm. Where is everyone?

Also, it’s a bit funny that the demons in this world don’t know about angels?? A lot of questions after this first episode.

Animation and art were solid, premise is interesting, seems good.
Marinate1016Jul 11, 2023 12:38 PM
Jul 11, 2023 12:36 PM
Sep 2015
Is this a Japanese equivalent of Conan the Barbarian?

Anyway, muscular lead = I'm in, all the way in.

I won't assume Helck's true nature yet, it's too soon, but I believe he's good, but also a victim of a tragedy, probably from those angels.
Jul 11, 2023 12:38 PM

Jan 2022
lol damn I thought the mc was a bad ass granny this whole time 😅

edit: Yah, this show rocks, mystery, buff mc, and fighting and comedy! I guess they saved the best anime this season for last.
MariklynJul 11, 2023 12:58 PM
Jul 11, 2023 12:44 PM
Jun 2016
What a surprise! A show where I liked the original premise, thought it was going to be kind of average in spite of it, but then actually goes above my expectations. I haven't been this pleasantly surprised since Love After World Domination.
Jul 11, 2023 12:49 PM

Jan 2023
Thought it was really funny and really intriguing.
Love the mystery, love the jokes, and the voice actors are great imo.
Jul 11, 2023 12:51 PM

Aug 2017
This left a good impression, for the most part the focus was more on the comedic side which was amusing to see with the interactions between Vermilio and the submanager and her trying to stop the hero Helck. And then we got to the more serious part with the attack on the castle and the mystery surrounding Helck which I'm quite interested in and what happned to the humans. 
Jul 11, 2023 12:56 PM

Dec 2019
One word titles for anime >>>>

Wish more fantasy shows went for simple titles like this compared to what we get nowadays.
Jul 11, 2023 12:56 PM

Feb 2018
Well it looked as if it was just going to be a tournament thing at first, but now its seems like there might be a little more there.
Interested to find out more.
Jul 11, 2023 12:59 PM

Apr 2022
There's a lot of mystery surrounding Helck, and not a lot is explained in this episode. I liked it, but I'm hoping it'll pick up the pace and the focus shifts a little bit away from Vamirio. I'm already tired of her.
felixsifuriJul 11, 2023 1:03 PM
Jul 11, 2023 1:00 PM

Jun 2017
Vamirio best girl already, her explosive temper is hilarious in a good way.

I also thought this would only be a tournament thing so I was pleasantly surprised that part is just the intro.
Jul 11, 2023 1:03 PM

Jul 2020
God I love this manga and it seems the anime adaptation is in good hands. I hope everyone gives this show a chance to find its footing.
Jul 11, 2023 1:05 PM
May 2020
Great start and build-up
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
A literal strong start to Helck and I never thought he would say that he hates humans with a straight face though. Seems like Helck is going to win the tournament to become the new demon lord given how overpowered he is at level 99. We don't know Helck's true intentions yet, but Vermilo doesn't trust him as a human in the demon realm especially when she learns that Helck has a bounty on his head for killing his brother Cress who is the real Legendary Hero that killed Demon Lord Thor. To make matters worse, another Demon Kingdom has fallen to the angel knights which makes Vermilo more suspicious of Helck.

I'm glad that this is a back to back two cour show which makes me wonder is it possible for the manga to get a full adaptation with 12 volumes, but of course that depends on the pacing.
AddaeAkonoJul 11, 2023 1:20 PM

May 2020
Keeping the loudmouth aside, I just want they keep showing Helck for the better part going forward.

Though that still doesn't take away the kind of hilarious start we had. Looking forward and cool title by the way. Good to have this two-cour as well.
Softhenic03Jul 11, 2023 1:10 PM
Jul 11, 2023 1:06 PM
Aug 2020
I enjoyed this fist episode, it was Interesting. I want to know more…
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jul 11, 2023 1:07 PM
Apr 2016
Really solid adaptation as a manga reader. 1:1 with sllightly slower pacing and adding some scenes to setup the plot.
Jul 11, 2023 1:11 PM
Mar 2013
I read this a long time ago and didn't complete it because the translations were too slow so I only remember how I felt about the manga, however I do remember feeling that the story was quite deep.

So far the first episode has been really enjoyable so I'm looking forward to the following episodes.

I'm loving the chemistry between Helck and Kenros. Two goofy people hanging doing goofy stuff is always funny.

Jul 11, 2023 1:14 PM

Jul 2007
Had mixed feelings about the episode but will continue watching because of the bomb they dropped towards the end there. I know this show doesn't fall under the mystery genre but not knowing Helck's intentions and the slaying of his brother is what's mainly keeping me around. I also saw that the manga is rated well so I'm assuming the story gets better.
Jul 11, 2023 1:15 PM

Dec 2021
Holy shit, based on this first episode, my first impression of Helck leads me to believe that this anime will be an enjoyable watch. 

As humanity rejoices over the lone hero's triumph in defeating the Demon King, the inhabitants of the demon world brace themselves for a momentous event—a tournament that will determine the rightful successor to the title of Demon King hosted by Vamirio and . I understand where Vamirio is coming from, but I find Helck to be a rather fascinating individual. Sure, he harbors a desire to annihilate humans, but let's be honest, who among us hasn't entertained such thoughts at least once, right? Lol.

Card towers, chess, wood carving, cooking... is there anything Helck can't do? That parfait he made looked particularly delicious, and even Vermillio couldn't deny it. Apart from Vermillio, it seems like everyone else has grown quite fond of Helck. The opening and OP also gives a really strong old school RPG vibe. They don't stick with it the entire episode, but I dig it nonetheless.

Beneath his goofiness, it's evident that Helck carries a complex past. I wonder if his alleged involvement in his brother's murder has any connection to the angels' invasion or the mysterious disappearance of these human towns?

While there are underlying sinister elements, Helck (alongside Vamirio) almost deceived me into thinking it was a lighthearted series. Considering the high ratings of the source material, I can see why. Given sufficient time to develop, this series has the potential to become quite impressive. 

Hence, I am pleased that it has been granted a 2-cour run consisting of 24 episodes!

Jul 11, 2023 1:23 PM

Aug 2008
Hmm, this episode adapted 3 chapters out of 100 and I felt like the pacing was a bit off. With only 20 episodes I'm afraid they will rush it, especially considering that later on story and action gets much more dense from what I remember after 4 years, since reading the manga. Hopefully it will be actually a 2 season series. Manga was amazing, so it would be a real shame if the adaptation was botched.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 11, 2023 1:27 PM

Jun 2021
Suspicious anime, I would like to see where this goes.....
Yandere_@lover
Jul 11, 2023 1:37 PM
May 2011
Having read the manga already, I found this first episode pretty nice, they are trying to get to the important parts rather fast, but the pacing feels natural. Vamirio and Helck's voices are amazing too.
That said, I was hoping for a better opening, but the ed makes up for it.

Also they added foreshadowing that wasn't in the manga during that first scene, but I am guess that without context it doesn't really matter. 
Jul 11, 2023 1:40 PM
Mar 2020
Promissing anime!
Jul 11, 2023 1:41 PM

May 2023
I'm crying it looks good this has saved my life in every way
Jul 11, 2023 1:47 PM

Nov 2013
This was epic.

Is Helck a traitor or a spy? :D Maybe he's against some third party?

Can't wait to find out.

Comedy+intrigue.
Jul 11, 2023 2:16 PM

Dec 2013
This was such a solid first episode, the comedy and mood of the show are so enjoyable, plenty of cute girls and it was cool to see that other demon lord sacrifice like they are not really the bad guys.

Vamirio with glasses is bae.
Jul 11, 2023 2:23 PM
Apr 2015
That was a surprisingly good first episode, aside from some unnecessary scenes in a first minute or so. 
Now let's just hope they won't screw up the pacing.
Jul 11, 2023 2:30 PM

Mar 2020
The comedy actually didn't really work for me, but the premise itself was interesting, especially at the end, with the mystery behind why the humans seems to have disappeared in some of the cities Asta visited. Helck himself seems very endearing and charismatic, which could lead to many people being fooled, as he might have some ulterior motives to all this. Yet another anime to keep an eye on.
Jul 11, 2023 3:13 PM

Apr 2018
Vamirio's explosive moments were funny. Helck is pretty odd compared to a conventional fantasy, and I love it for it. I want to see how they balance this in the following episodes.

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
Jul 11, 2023 3:16 PM
Feb 2020
Yo, the manga was absolute fire. I had no idea the story was FINALLY getting an anime adaptation after so long! On top of that both the voice acting and the animation are on point! This is gonna be fun!
Jul 11, 2023 4:10 PM
Oct 2020
Looks good so far. If done right Helck absolutely could be one of the best shows of the season!

I was so happy to see this get an adaptation and now seeing it actually animated.
Jul 11, 2023 5:08 PM

Sep 2020
Top-notch start for this anime adaptation and what do you know, things are only going to get better and better from the next episode onward.
Jul 11, 2023 5:33 PM
Jan 2022
Need more time to really grasp what this series is attempting to do, however its been good so far.
Jul 11, 2023 5:58 PM

Oct 2022
Helck. What the Heck. I would have enjoyed this if it had decent character designs, but it doesn’t. Some of the background characters look like someone took some screen caps of an old episode of Fairy Tail. I shouldn’t say that, it’s unfair to Fairly Tail…
Would have been interested if there was a good back-story before the whole competition crap, but as expected none was provided. That stupid narrator+parchment map thing has gotten so overused that it’s now just enraging to see. Lack of creativity. Would have been better if it was decently animated and looked good, but it isn’t and it doesn’t. Only two of the characters look decent, and none of them are well animated. This looks and acts like a Saturday morning cartoon. Why does it exist. Oh yes, there’s a manga. And the only people who will be fans of this thing (and will defend I’m sure) read that manga when they were bored teenagers back in 2018….
I didn’t even bother reading the subtitles. There was no need. Not because I’m some elite weeb with fluent skillz, but because it has the mentality of a kid’s show nothing they were saying was going to be profound. It was just all yelling and playing grabass.

I can see enjoying this if you’re really young and EXTREMELY bored. And even then I can’t guarantee this could cure your boredom, it’s likely to make it worse.
Jul 11, 2023 6:21 PM

Jul 2019
SuperAdventure said:
I can see enjoying this if you’re really young and EXTREMELY bored. And even then I can’t guarantee this could cure your boredom, it’s likely to make it worse.

I see it as: This season so far has been terrible so might as well enjoy something like this. At least it's not like every cliche romance this season.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Jul 11, 2023 6:31 PM
May 2022
Heard the manga was good. And yeah it was a pretty solid, if comedy focused first episode. I can see it becoming really good down the line though. There’s definitely some intrigue on Helck, his brother and the humans. Looking forward to watching more. 24 episodes too so a lot to look forward to.
Jul 11, 2023 6:58 PM

Oct 2022
LordSozin said:
SuperAdventure said:

I see it as: This season so far has been terrible so might as well enjoy something like this. At least it's not like every cliche romance this season.

Yea it's fine I almost feel bad for ragging on this that much. I think after the disappointment from Dark Gathering, and all the terrible reviews I've read about the GoHands stuff, that I was really put off when this just dumped another huge pile of cliche in front of me. It can't be that hard to design characters! Why are they all so ugly! I definitely will not be watching this one, it just wasn't made for me. I do recommend One Room Hero though...
Jul 11, 2023 7:01 PM
Apr 2022
SuperAdventure said:
Helck. What the Heck. I would have enjoyed this if it had decent character designs, but it doesn’t. Some of the background characters look like someone took some screen caps of an old episode of Fairy Tail. I shouldn’t say that, it’s unfair to Fairly Tail…
Would have been interested if there was a good back-story before the whole competition crap, but as expected none was provided. That stupid narrator+parchment map thing has gotten so overused that it’s now just enraging to see. Lack of creativity. Would have been better if it was decently animated and looked good, but it isn’t and it doesn’t. Only two of the characters look decent, and none of them are well animated. This looks and acts like a Saturday morning cartoon. Why does it exist. Oh yes, there’s a manga. And the only people who will be fans of this thing (and will defend I’m sure) read that manga when they were bored teenagers back in 2018….
I didn’t even bother reading the subtitles. There was no need. Not because I’m some elite weeb with fluent skillz, but because it has the mentality of a kid’s show nothing they were saying was going to be profound. It was just all yelling and playing grabass.

So first off all, why would you do the backstory at the beginning? That sounds like the least interesting way to get a reader hooked. You let the mystery of the character linger for a while and then dump all of the backstories on the consumers(and yes btw the backstory is a banger). Also it is pretty well animated, not amazing but it’s a bit above average. And another thing, why are you insulting the fans of this? How did this very inoffensive show hurt you so bad that you felt the need to write 4 paragraphs just to shit on it. Could’ve said it was boring, left a 1/5 and accomplished the same effect without looking like an idiot. And one last thing. I know it’s subjective but the character designs are quite good and very different from the average isekai designs, sometimes less is more
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» English Dub Announced for April 2024

jorel262 - Mar 21

1 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 30, 11:00 PM

Poll: » Helck Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2023

117 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 30, 10:52 PM

Poll: » Helck Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 1, 2023

94 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 30, 10:08 PM

Poll: » Helck Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 25, 2023

127 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 30, 9:34 PM

Poll: » Helck Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2023

94 by Steve024 »»
Apr 16, 12:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.