Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 3, 2023 4:26 PM
Jul 2018
What are the best anime for wimmenz. And what makes an anime “female-friendly”?

Edit: Sailor Moon is one!
removed-userMar 3, 2023 4:59 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 3, 2023 4:28 PM
Dec 2010
Seriously? You need to ask?
When men strip off their clothes.
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Mar 3, 2023 4:29 PM
Jul 2018
Butterfly_White said:
U claim to be LGBT yet assume all women are hetero. Interesting..
Mar 3, 2023 4:30 PM

Sep 2020
Any anime that a woman wants to watch. Why is everything nowadays pointlessly gendered?
Mar 3, 2023 4:35 PM
Dec 2017
The real question to ask here should be this.  What is a woman?

Mar 3, 2023 4:46 PM

Nov 2019
Elaborate on what you mean by "for woman"
Mar 3, 2023 4:49 PM
Jul 2018
Bitesthedust777 said:
Well, women tend to be more highbrow while men hulk smash. So idk, I guess artsy stuff? Like ur avatar is gaming and a woman would prefer games like Spiritfarer.

Edit: Bam! I just remembered, Sailor Moon is one!
removed-userMar 3, 2023 5:01 PM
Mar 3, 2023 5:37 PM
Dec 2010
inebriation said:
Butterfly_White said:
Since when did I write the second part? 
Fyi, regardless of gender or sexual orientation, if you are of the same species, the same primate desires will apply. 

Romance is an ideal, just like how it's an illusion.
You shd know what this means when it's applied on the entire species.
Mar 3, 2023 5:41 PM

Jul 2022
I watch girly shows as a grown man, so I guess super manly shows would be best for women?
Mar 3, 2023 5:51 PM

Jan 2020
There are the demographies Shoujo and Josei that are aimed at girls and women respectively.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/25/Shoujo
https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/43/Josei

That's more like a suggestion because anyone can watch whatever they want in the end.

Also, there are untagged Josei like Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei (A rare case of an anime tagged as Seinen and Josei in AniDB) or Higashi no Eden. In my opinion Aggretsuko or Millennium Actress would also fit in Josei.
A few untagged Shoujo in MAL but tagged as Shoujo in other sites would include Shoujo Kakumei Utena, Jigoku Shoujo or Princess Tutu.
eblf2013Mar 3, 2023 5:59 PM
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Mar 3, 2023 5:53 PM

Jul 2013
Butterfly_White said:
Fyi, regardless of gender or sexual orientation, if you are of the same species, the same primate desires will apply. 

You shd know what this means when it's applied on the entire species

thanks for that asexual erasure friend
Mar 3, 2023 6:54 PM

Jul 2019
Bocchi the rock, lolishit recoil and any romcom anime.
Mar 3, 2023 6:58 PM
Dec 2022
In manga terminology, there is a word for "oriented towards the female adult demographics" and it's called josei.

There is a plenty of josei manga materials that have not become anime.
Mar 3, 2023 7:33 PM

May 2020
inebriation said:

Edit: Sailor Moon is one!
Typically I would say Shoujo or Josei shows, as those are tend to be female oriented by definition. Whether you enjoy those genres are another discussion.

Recently, there is a shift in preference. Shows like Spy x Family (Shonen), or Blue Period (Seinen), are really enjoyable, despite not being female oriented. 
A lot of my friends and I also enjoy shows with a full on male casts, like Bungou Stray Dogs (Seinen), or Haikyuu!! (Shonen). 

All up to your personal preferences. 

Mar 3, 2023 7:40 PM

Mar 2012
Butterfly_White said:
inebriation said:

Looks like I belong to a different species since my primate desires have completely failed me. I do not enjoy seeing men strip. My "ideal romance" is watching the two characters from a deep bond and enjoy each other's company and not just give in to carnal desires. I hate watching any kind of sexual content.
Mar 3, 2023 7:50 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Aku no Hana
there isn't much female dominance in physical form, Aku no Hana is full of psychological dominance .

Witch Craft Works

Witch Craft Works is about a powerful heroine that helps the hero to become a hero.

MM!
Mm is full of female-led scenes as well as plenty of comedy. Take a look at “MM! if you’re looking for something fun, lighthearted, and full of female-dominated anime

Shimoneta to Iu Gainen ga Sonnzai Shinai Taikutsu na Sekai..
Anime about A dystopian future is in the making. It is a dystopian future where the Japanese administration has passed stringent new morality laws.

Shoujo-tachi no Sadism The Animation

The Anime is about four female students who have an unhealthy interest in their teacher..

Mar 3, 2023 8:13 PM
Dec 2021
Women seem to love Banana Fish for some reason.
Mar 3, 2023 8:47 PM

Jul 2021
only the ones with pretty boys in it.

also redo of healer. when i first heard about this i was surprised but it's pretty based that many women love that anime (coming from someone who thinks redo of healer is a masterpiece).

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Mar 3, 2023 9:24 PM

May 2015
There're demographics shoujo and josei targeted at female audience, but just because it's targeted doesn't mean all females would enjoy it or that they won't be able to enjoy shounen or seinen. It's kind of weird to assume that there's a specific category for a whole group of people to enjoy or consider it said group friendly. Generalizing and stereotyping can never be good.
Mar 3, 2023 9:52 PM

Jul 2016
Revolutionary Girl Utena, Fruits Basket and Nana come to mind, at least the women anime fans I know love those
Mar 3, 2023 9:58 PM

Mar 2019
I think women deserve so much better than what they have. A few are good, like Snow white and red hair, maid sama (manga>>>), fruits basket (I've not seen it but I'll probably like it), romantic killer. Manga have better stories though. There are more I probably don't remember.

Most anime/manga for women are dogshit. Including the top rated ones. I've seen and read many shoujo and josei, and only a few are even worth looking at. I'd even argue that women main characters are better written in some shonens and seinens than most top rated shoujos and joseis.

Many of the ratings are skewed just because women have nothing else to watch representing them. They deserve so much more and so much better. You know shit is bad when classroom of the elite, one of the internet's 'male fantasy power trip' had better, deeper, well written characters like Suzune, Arisu, Honami, Kei and many more. Though anime misses this, many chapters in LN are from pov of girls and those are some of the best writing from female perspective I've seen.

Kaguya sama is a seinen and still has better written women than almost all of shoujo or josei.

Anime was it's best 20000 years ago, when cavemen drew art with real depth.
Modern anime is all garbage. I miss great old days of anime.
Mar 3, 2023 10:45 PM

Jul 2013
light_straight said:
Though anime misses this, many chapters in LN are from pov of girls and those are some of the best writing from female perspective I've seen.

holy shit anime must be doomed if comparatively women in LN's are considered "some of the best writing from female perspective I've seen." wat
Mar 3, 2023 10:48 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
XL Joushi is really recommended, 12 out of 10 women like it
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Mar 3, 2023 11:43 PM

Oct 2010
anime for women need to have sinbad the women "slayer"
Mar 4, 2023 12:18 AM

Dec 2019
I could be wrong, but most of the shippers are women, so maybe anime with a lot of possible pairing? smth like Boku no Hero Academia
Mar 4, 2023 12:38 AM

Sep 2009
xPerSeNN said:
I could be wrong, but most of the shippers are women, so maybe anime with a lot of possible pairing? smth like Boku no Hero Academia

Even though battle shounen anime made for males in general, majority of fanbase is women due to possiblity of shipping material.

Also even JoJo franchise has a large fanbase of women due to the same reason.

Mar 4, 2023 1:20 AM

May 2019
Perhaps, a yaoi or a shoujou anime ?!
Mar 4, 2023 2:21 AM

May 2018
"Anime for women"

Here some shoujo and josei shows I recommend - https://myanimelist.net/stacks/4647
Mar 4, 2023 3:27 AM

Feb 2014
I don't assume what they might like based on their gender, I ask the person what they are into or look up their favorites and then recommend them stuff that I think they might enjoy independently on if they are male or female.

But generally speaking, there are shounen & seinen (anime/manga targeting boys and men) and shoujo & josei (anime/manga targeting girls and women), so I guess that's a starting point if you're searching for stuff that's specifically designed to appeal to a certain gender.
Mar 4, 2023 3:38 AM

Apr 2022
I know japan started it with editorial target like shojo, josei etc...as previously mentionned but i do wish we grow over that mentality of gendering fiction that much...i do completely agree that anime for women is whatever anime some individual girl wants to watch/as enjoyed watching/enjoy watching right now whatever is its genre or for any reason she likes it. Women do not have a hive-mind we do like many different things for many different reasons because each women on earth have their personal taste and so are girls and women who enjoy anime...i feel like therefore any such take as "what anime a girl could like" will end up in stereotyped answer showing the most successful shojo/josei/yaoi etc...popular with a big fangirl fanbase which might not at all be what the peculiar women wanted to see in some new anime the most...it can sometimes be slighty better take of wanting a feminist leaned anime but what is that is pretty subjective tough many of the one most agreed upon where already quoted above...so i guess the best answer to that is know the girl/or yourself if your one asking that for herself...and guess what your taste are in fiction do you like sci-fi, fantasy, horror etc...and choose your next anime to watch based on that instead of some tired old gender cliché...at least that is my method as a women enjoying anime to decides on what to see next and it never got me disappointed so that is what i would recommend any woman wanting a way to choose a good new anime to watch for her to do.

Tifa Lockhart (FFVII) - Forum Signature by craftyaegis on DeviantArt

Mar 4, 2023 7:44 AM

Oct 2014
A lot of the female anime fans I've met seem to be into shounen stuff, ie. anime with hot guys being manly. This might not be the ideal anime for all women, but it does appeal to a lot of them.

Why people like things differs person to person. I think a lot of women do enjoy the same kinds of shows that men like, but they don't always like them for the same reasons. Obviously there's some shows that are particularly fanservicy that women don't like, but I've also heard one woman say she really liked Keijo because she saw the girls being confidently sexy as a sort of role model, in contrast to some harem girl who gets her clothes ripped off for tittilation.
Mar 4, 2023 7:49 AM

Apr 2013
Probably stuff with a female protagonist? At least in gaming I know women who prefer to play a female character, just how I prefer to play a male character.
Else probably stuff like "Free" if they enjoy looking at hot dudes just like I enjoy looking at hot girls.

In general though everyone can enjoy everything, regardless of gender.
Mar 4, 2023 8:01 AM

Mar 2017
Some of the replies here bring to mind a controversy that arose a couple of decades ago, when most people didn't have Internet (much less streaming services) and watched whatever the TV networks were airing at the times they were airing them. In those things, Saturday morning cartoons were still a thing. The controversy was that insofar as these cartoons targeted boys vs. girls, there were a lot more "boy shows" than "girl shows". When researchers went digging for the reasons for this disparity, one of their key findings was that most boys won't touch "girl shows", whereas girls were much more likely to cross over and watch "boy shows", and of course the TV networks took note as they tried to attract the most viewers.

There were exceptions. "Powerpuff Girls" was one of those rare examples of a "girl show" that a lot of boys liked to watch too. And then of course there was "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic", but that's getting much further into the Internet/streaming age. When viewers can watch whatever shows they want whenever they want, it becomes much more viable to produce shows that don't need to appeal to the widest possible range of viewers.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Mar 4, 2023 9:51 AM

May 2021
inebriation said:

What kind of question is that??

There is no such thing as "the best for women" "female-friendly"

You can say that most women tend to like romance, drama, magic, which is why these genres are very present in shoujo and josei anime, but that's just a generalization of the majority female taste

The best anime for any woman is what she's interested in, plain and simple
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Mar 4, 2023 10:12 AM

Dec 2022
Almost any anime can be an anime that at least some women like. 

You have the ones who like sports anime, some like shounen and some like shoujo. 
Some of the most hardcore female anime fans seem to be shounen fans.

I like slice of life, some action series, some sports anime, but sometimes other genres as well if it's particularly good or funny.

Often guys think it's 'romance' which girls/women like, but I don't like typical romance stuff. There needs to be some kind of twist or part of an action story. 
Just drudgery about people meeting, missunderstandings etc and finally the big kiss is not really my thing.
I prefer an anime like Danganronpa where the female characters are at least as batshit insane as the male characters to some insipid boring heroine of some shoujo manga.

Crow_Black said:
The real question to ask here should be this.  What is a woman?

If you can't even understand that women are people too with hobbies and interests, then you are the problem. 
LionalandaMar 4, 2023 10:20 AM
This is your reminder to drink water 💦 or eat some fruit  🍒 🥝
Mar 4, 2023 11:00 AM
Dec 2021
Anything that has a good story, and well-written female characters who are relatable and aren’t objectified by fanservice.
Butterfly_White said:
That works too.
Mar 4, 2023 11:42 AM

Jan 2008
This entire thread is full of mines

I'm an adult 40 plus woman I like mindless battle shounen best 
Mar 4, 2023 11:48 AM

Dec 2022
mwalimu said:
Some of the replies here bring to mind a controversy that arose a couple of decades ago, when most people didn't have Internet (much less streaming services) and watched whatever the TV networks were airing at the times they were airing them. In those things, Saturday morning cartoons were still a thing. The controversy was that insofar as these cartoons targeted boys vs. girls, there were a lot more "boy shows" than "girl shows". When researchers went digging for the reasons for this disparity, one of their key findings was that most boys won't touch "girl shows", whereas girls were much more likely to cross over and watch "boy shows", and of course the TV networks took note as they tried to attract the most viewers.

There were exceptions. "Powerpuff Girls" was one of those rare examples of a "girl show" that a lot of boys liked to watch too. And then of course there was "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic", but that's getting much further into the Internet/streaming age. When viewers can watch whatever shows they want whenever they want, it becomes much more viable to produce shows that don't need to appeal to the widest possible range of viewers.
Good point. 

I think about 80-90% of the cartoons I grew up with were 'boy-shows'. 
Would have liked more shows with female action heroes/adventures etc. I still watched the boy shows, but got very excited in the rare case there was more of a group of adventurers that included at least two women (of course they were not the majority in ensemble shows, but at least it was something). 
This is part of the reason I got into anime, because there was (a little) more choice with that back then
This is your reminder to drink water 💦 or eat some fruit  🍒 🥝
Mar 4, 2023 12:27 PM

Nov 2019
inebriation said:
Bitesthedust777 said:
Well, women tend to be more highbrow while men hulk smash. So idk, I guess artsy stuff? Like ur avatar is gaming and a woman would prefer games like Spiritfarer.

Edit: Bam! I just remembered, Sailor Moon is one!
Try Odd Taxi

It's very well-written and unique, I don't think there's anything quite like it.
Mar 4, 2023 12:43 PM

May 2021
UberBat said:
This entire thread is full of mines

I'm an adult 40 plus woman I like mindless battle shounen best 

I'm gonna be just like you when i'm 40 :3
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Mar 4, 2023 12:56 PM

Oct 2013
I mean...A woman can watch anything, so technically any anime is "for women".  I guess we still haven't figured out by now that something being targeted towards a specific demographic doesn't mean only that demographic can watch it....
Mar 4, 2023 1:04 PM
Oct 2019
"Osomatsu-san" was actually made for women to laugh at! Anyone can enjoy it though obviously. Lots of LGBT women (aka me) liked "Given" for it's not-yaoi portrayal of queer romance. Speaking of romance, a lot of them are targeted towards women (shojo) since most have a female lead (and those with male leads are usually harems). Uhhhhh, idk LOL, any anime can be for women. "Demon Slayer", "Beastars" (which the manga I love), "Full Metal Alchemist", and "Noragami", all different themes and style, and all made by a woman!
Mar 4, 2023 1:20 PM
Jun 2019
Oh no no no no. Everything depends on your personal preferences. It is not a question of gender.
haerinaMar 4, 2023 2:28 PM
Mar 4, 2023 2:24 PM
Dec 2010
Maou_heika said:
Butterfly_White said:

Looks like I belong to a different species since my primate desires have completely failed me. I do not enjoy seeing men strip. My "ideal romance" is watching the two characters from a deep bond and enjoy each other's company and not just give in to carnal desires. I hate watching any kind of sexual content.
Watching two characters form a sensual deep bond with hand holding is already a primate desire in itself. It's still a romantic desire. Beside, we know your story, and you hv a preconceived notion of that.
To put it in another point of view, you behave like the pristine type too, and this behaviour itself is like presenting yourself as a romantic ideal, very similar to what society expect.
Mar 5, 2023 2:33 AM

Mar 2012
Butterfly_White said:
Maou_heika said:
Watching two characters form a sensual deep bond with hand holding is already a primate desire in itself. It's still a romantic desire. Beside, we know your story, and you hv a preconceived notion of that.
To put it in another point of view, you behave like the pristine type too, and this behaviour itself is like presenting yourself as a romantic ideal, very similar to what society expect.
Sensual - connected with physical or sexual pleasure.
Like I already said I'm not interested in watching that, I don't really know how to put this but I guess I'd rather watch them form more of an emotional bond over a sexual one, I would be glad if they do end up together but I'm not interested in watching the physical side of it.
Mar 5, 2023 2:38 AM

Nov 2022
Any josei or shoujo really. They all about this romance thing women care so much for.

On the other hand these shows can spoil them with expectations from a man. Therefore it is best they do not watch these things at all.

Make them watch Gochiusa all day instead until they learn how to be cute from Syaro and Chino.
EmperorThorMar 6, 2023 3:30 AM
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Mar 5, 2023 4:25 AM

Jun 2020
Any anime they like are the best. Everyone has different tastes.

And about your question „What makes an anime ‚Female-friendly‘?“ I‘d wanna know why gender the question? I‘d ask „What makes an anime friendly in its portrayal of values?“ Maybe that might be better. And I‘d answer, probably just an awareness of the content that an anime shows. A presentation of characters that‘s not diminishing anyone.
If it‘s not on a plate, it can wait...
Mar 5, 2023 5:01 AM

Aug 2021
There is no anime that is perfect for women, women are different from each other, there are girls who love mahou shoujo, girls who are fujoshis or himejoshis, girls who don't like sexual content, girls who love gore and gothic things, there is no such thing let it be the best anime for women because every girl is different from each other.

Mar 5, 2023 5:44 AM

Feb 2020
Fruit Basket is a good "woman anime" when you ask me.

it has drama and some really heavy thematics, romantic, and also some wholesome scenes, many different character personalities.

its besides from the imaginatively elements a really realistic show, with realistic problems, like trusting people, abusive parents and self-hate.
Mar 5, 2023 5:48 AM

May 2017
just watch what you want to watch. all anime is women friendly. duh
lame bait
my candies:

bonus!:
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 3 hours ago

17 by kizumi91 »»
48 seconds ago

» Is there any specific setting or theme you’re biased to

nishant0 - 45 minutes ago

7 by Longnines »»
1 minute ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

61 by Saiunknown »»
5 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

49 by APolygons2 »»
11 minutes ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 3 hours ago

18 by Saiunknown »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.