Forum Settings
Forums

So fellow weebs, How good is your Japanese?

New
Dec 25, 2022 6:40 AM

Jun 2021
I do duolingo everyday (Nihon Shimasu!) and I watched Edens Zero on NETFLIX without subtitles and got the gist of it. How 'bout u?
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 25, 2022 6:43 AM

Nov 2019
My buddy Google says  日本人は吸う、そしてあなたのペニスもそうです
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Dec 25, 2022 6:43 AM

Feb 2020
why of course it's very sugoi dekai desuyo 
小学生は最高だぜ! (means hello)

Dec 25, 2022 6:46 AM
Nov 2022
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaka
Dec 25, 2022 6:48 AM

Aug 2019
Nihongo ga sukoshi wakarimasu
I've been studying japanese for sometime so i can somewhat understand the dialogues if the anime's in raw

Dec 25, 2022 6:49 AM

Jun 2021
あほいぇしゅああなたわあいします。
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

Dec 25, 2022 6:49 AM
Jul 2018
日本語読めない喋らない書かない理解できない無学無識だ
Dec 25, 2022 6:55 AM

Dec 2021
I’ve been studying Japanese for over seven years (albeit at a slow pace) which was way before I actually got into anime. I was forced to study Japanese at school.

I wish I was at more of a higher level though. I do use subtitles, but I have watched whole episodes raw when the subtitles have been formatted poorly and I have managed. One of my goals for next year is to be more adventurous in this regard and watch more anime/read more manga raw. I also want to take one of those JLPT tests to see truly how proficient I am.

SaiteiDaOretteDec 25, 2022 6:58 AM
Dec 25, 2022 6:58 AM

Jun 2021
@Syuraaps Shounen pAwa! Konno Yaro!

Dec 25, 2022 7:02 AM

Apr 2010
You can learn a lot of phrases from watching anime with subs but it's quite impossible to learn Japanese that way. I guarantee that if you tried to talk to a native Japanese person with only what you know from anime you'd like like a fool.
Dec 25, 2022 7:03 AM

Aug 2017
I know some words.

Learning Japanese would be interesting, as German, Russian and Esperanto would be, but time consuming and I have other life priorities at the moment.
Dec 25, 2022 7:08 AM

Dec 2021
Tried to learn Japanese like 4-5 months ago and did that for one whole month. I learnt only the hiragana and basic grammar. Forgot most of the words.

Duolingo is not that good for grammar.
Dec 25, 2022 7:11 AM

Sep 2020
I can read or listen to simpler Japanese, my level is around N4 to N3, and I'm going to take the test next year.
Dec 25, 2022 7:12 AM

Jun 2021
How many Kanji do you guys have memorized (writting, listening, meaning, homophones)?

Iknow 234 and I master Hiragana and Katakana.

Dec 25, 2022 7:16 AM

Sep 2021
non existent beyond simple words, will I ever study Japanese? I don't know but I don't see it coming 
Dec 25, 2022 7:20 AM

Jul 2021
i watch yt specials of various animes and can understand most of it.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Dec 25, 2022 7:20 AM

Aug 2013
MysteryFan89 said:
You can learn a lot of phrases from watching anime with subs but it's quite impossible to learn Japanese that way. I guarantee that if you tried to talk to a native Japanese person with only what you know from anime you'd like like a fool.

I agree wholeheartedly, but consider the fact that many people learn mainly to understand (because let's not deceive ourselves, most translations are just bad and very different from the original - this, by the way, was also my main motivation for learning, both English and Japanese) . Besides, when you learn any foreign language, you first learn to understand, and only later comes speaking.
That doesn't change the fact that anime is a great source for learning, but you have to have a lot of sources. It works well for vocabulary and testing your skills, but grammar that will allow you to understand more than just the general sense has to be learned separately.

How many Kanji do you guys have memorized (writting, listening, meaning, homophones)?
Iknow 234 and I master Hiragana and Katakana.

About 2000. I learned kana in 1 week (both katakana and hiragana).
It gets harder when you already know ~1000.

I still need (Japanese) subtitles so I don't have a problem trying to understand by ear. I doubt this will change anytime soon. It's a shame that so few series actually have Japanese subtitles.
rsc-plDec 25, 2022 7:29 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 25, 2022 7:22 AM

Jul 2021
My Japanese is just fine arigathanks
Dec 25, 2022 7:35 AM

Dec 2015
I can sing in Japanese and somewhat correctly pronounce phrases, but don't understand it at all. Would like to improve on it.
Dec 25, 2022 7:46 AM

May 2019
I know some Japanglish:

Konichi Wassup
Arigathanks
Yamete Kodastop
See You Nara
Chotto Minute
Sorry Masen
Arigathanks Gozaimuch

Dec 25, 2022 8:11 AM

Sep 2008
I picked up on a decent number of words, the honorifics, and some of the basic sentence structure through following anime and looking up stuff online while in college. Even found a list of words and honorifics that I found off a site that I would update with new words I picked up or learning various elements of Japanese culture. I'm at least efficient enough with my cultural knowledge and the language where I can follow things generally if I'm watching an anime raw without subtitles or dubbing. But if things get too deep with series lore or cultural elements I'm unfamiliar with, then I'll get lost following what's going on.
Dec 25, 2022 8:17 AM

Apr 2018
I know some words don't know how to read or write kanji, but I won't waste my time learning it either since it has no use in my daily life.

Dec 25, 2022 8:19 AM

Jan 2009
正直に言うと, 小学生理解できるレベルくらいなら..それくらい大丈夫そう ..だと思う
アニメを見るだけで日本語をどんどん理解できましたが, やっぱ .. まだ足りないなぁ
喋り方とか文章とかいろいろ, まだまだ. 真面目に勉強しないとだめだよなぁ

yeah, something along those lines
Dec 25, 2022 8:27 AM

Nov 2021
is that even a question? nihongo jouzu, of course
if i had a flower for every time i think of you, i could walk in my garden forever.
Dec 25, 2022 9:01 AM

Oct 2014
It's poor. I do watch a lot of anime raw since I often can't find subs for them, but I don't understand them very well like that. I can only understand a couple hundred words.
Dec 25, 2022 9:03 AM

Mar 2012
I passed JLPT N3 back in 2016 and stopped studying after that. I try to make some time to read a bit of raw manga but my Japanese is pretty much rusty right now.
Dec 25, 2022 9:03 AM

Jun 2021
Is it too late now to say Gomen!? Cuz you know the rest of this hogwash.

Dec 25, 2022 9:39 AM
Oct 2019
I wouldn't say it's particularly good, as I don't go out of my way to study the language (at least, not yet. I'd definitely start if I ever planned to visit Japan though.) There are a few words that I've picked up from watching subbed anime, but I don't feel confident in my ability to have a proper conversation in Japanese. (Additionally, I can only understand spoken words. I can't read any Japanese at all)
Dec 25, 2022 9:46 AM

Jun 2021
They don't accept macaroni in a pots there.

Dec 25, 2022 9:57 AM

Feb 2020
Not great. I used to be able to count to twenty in Japanese and knew some colour names, but that's it and I'm probably rusty by now.
Dec 25, 2022 10:11 AM
Jul 2018
I've taken a few Japanese classes through my local college's continuing education program. Last year I enrolled in one online class that was only during the summertime. It was like a crash course in the first 3 lessons of the Genki 1 book. I learned a lot but also forgot much of what I learned right away, so I decided to get back in a new class this January.

This class was a bigger commitment as it's 6 mini-semesters per year. We were working on the Genki textbook at a slower, steady pace. It was slow to a point I started to get bored. Then I got too busy/overwhelmed with work. So I stopped paying attention and eventually dropped the classes a couple of months ago. I was debating on whether or not I'll go back in January. I'll have some catching up to do, but the teacher is patient and does his best to accommodate people's different levels, so it should be fine.
Dec 25, 2022 10:23 AM

Aug 2018
I have managed to let a Dutch person say "Ore wa ochinchin ga daisuki nandayo.", so we could say we're getting pretty serious with this. :^)

/s
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Dec 25, 2022 10:31 AM
Mar 2022
I can understand bits of words and phrases. I have no idea as to how to write though. I *might* study it seriously but not any sooner. I'm good learning it bit by bit on my own.
Dec 25, 2022 10:55 AM
Nov 2020
I can understand Japanese without subtitles and can read hiragana and katakana pretty well (I need some polishing though). I have to learn kanji but am busy with my daily life. I would be able to converse in the language. And my go to genre in music is Jpop, so i always listen to J music. I wanna learn how to read properly and one of my goals is to read light novels in Japanese!
Dec 25, 2022 10:57 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
I can understand most of simple dialogues. As I've watched tons of Anime I have to some extent fair enough hearing understanding of language. But as far as grammar, reading/writing etc... can't do shit. Did practice for few months kana and hira... but forgotten most.
Dec 25, 2022 11:12 AM
Dec 2020
DoisacChopper said:
小学生は最高だぜ!
Based. Also "ちんちんは小さいです" means what a nice day
Dec 25, 2022 11:19 AM

Jun 2021
Trolling not allowed. Questionin a man's masculity through his body part is a crime and a Sin.

Dec 25, 2022 11:48 AM

Aug 2017
I can fluently read hiragana and katakana, and there are a couple dozen kanji I know the meanings of but not how they are pronounced. I also know a few basic sayings and terms.
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
REST IN PEACE KENTAROU MIURA
Dec 25, 2022 11:53 AM

Jan 2021
Good enough to understand some spoken words and speak them.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Dec 25, 2022 11:54 AM

Mar 2015
Watashi no nihongo very sugoi desu ne
Dec 25, 2022 11:56 AM

Jun 2021
Chainsaw Man is a fuckin' crime against Humanity!

Dec 25, 2022 11:57 AM

Dec 2019
I can understand some of japanese verbally, but if you would give me paper sheet with japanese writing on it, there is no way I can translate it (if it's written in hiragana, katakana etc., I can translate romaji with like 70% accuracy tho).
Dec 25, 2022 12:34 PM
Sep 2022
SUGOI DEKAI 🙏‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎
Dec 25, 2022 12:43 PM

Jan 2022
Nihongo O hanashimasen. Gomenasai!
-insert NGE meme here-
Dec 25, 2022 1:03 PM

Mar 2021
can understand at least 50% of spoken. If I wasn't so addicted to gundam kits, I would be approaching fluency by now
Dec 25, 2022 5:00 PM

Jul 2013
アイ ドゥ ノット スピーク ウィーブ。
Dec 25, 2022 5:20 PM

Feb 2021
I'd say very good. I can read kanji, some which I don't see often I can't. I can write hiragana, katakana and kanji. When watching slice of life anime, I'm sure I understand what the characters are saying without subs. When reading manga, I still rely on furigana (the small hiragana/katakana right next to/above kanji chacater), especially when I rarely see the kanji character.  
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Dec 25, 2022 5:21 PM

Dec 2008
It's pretty good.  I have my JLPT N1.
Dec 25, 2022 5:30 PM
Jun 2019
I'm in this weird stage where sometimes i'm super fluent and sometimes i can't even introduce myself and i wholeheartedly dub that as my anime character quirk.
Dec 25, 2022 5:31 PM
Jul 2018
I can sorta understand words and phrases but can't actually speak it, sentences end up broken or just has really bad grammar and word choice.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Has anime made you erotophobic?

LenRea - 41 minutes ago

8 by TheMechaManiac »»
34 seconds ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - 14 minutes ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 11 hours ago

26 by TheMechaManiac »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

26 by TheMechaManiac »»
5 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 5 hours ago

22 by traed »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.