Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 12, 2022 4:44 AM

Oct 2016
Well, as I've said on another episode forum, I didn't find it as polished in terms of directing, comedy or thematic exploration as the previous entries of the franchise or the original movie it adapts. Despite that, it was fine, and this last episode, which isn't part of the movie, so I assume it's part of the novel or an anime original, was the best, it tied up things nicely even with the original anime series.
Oct 12, 2022 4:48 AM
Mar 2018
That was a pretty short, but fun ride.

Hopefully we get more from this series in the future.

Oct 12, 2022 6:49 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, so it turned out to be a movie made by Akashi-san, xD. I feel like there was more to it, given Watashi's clear interest in Akashi and whatnot...

I had a blast watching these six episodes, the time travel story was engaging, we get to see more of the characters and their intriguing interactions, and the comedy + monologue combo was on point. Tamura-kun was an interesting addition to the cast and his final moments ("time traveler pride") sealed the deal for me.

More Tatami Galaxy content is always a plus. Don't think there'll be any more after this but I'm willing to wait a dozen years if need be, lol.

8/10 from here. Going to miss the Op & ED as well, I thought they were really good. Op took a while to became a banger but the ED clicked instantly and I love the main ost too.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 12, 2022 8:07 AM

Mar 2020
The finale just felt like an episode of Tatami Galaxy, and it was nice. Overall, the series just felt like a wave of nostalgia, just a fun series, nothing more.
Oct 12, 2022 8:17 AM

Jan 2021
I wantttt more !!!!!
Super fun.
8/10
Oct 12, 2022 8:42 AM
Dec 2017
Really good! Shingo Natsume and team did a great job picking up where Masaki Yuasa and co. left off. This fits almost seamlessly with the 2010 series, certainly more than the 2017 spin-off film.
Oct 12, 2022 12:28 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Lol I loved that train part club, Ozu being his usual self xD Will miss this spin-off I definitely need more, I already rewatched the main TV series but that was great to have some content that felt like proper Tatami Galaxy episodes and they still kept the same style so it felt like it has been made at the same time as the TV series
Oct 12, 2022 12:36 PM

Oct 2020
Im going to repeat myself but i really loved it.

9/10
Oct 12, 2022 12:41 PM

Apr 2019
Well that was a nice prologue-epilogue to end the series. Loved how it
was told in the format of a Galaxy episode; kinda nice how it segways into the main story of this spinoff.

The Keifuku Railway Research Club sure was an interesting club for Watashi to join, and leave it to Ozu to get Watashi off course.

Loved how they used the piano verison of 'Watashi' no Theme; definitely my favourite version of the track. Also like how they used the regular version for the previous episodes to differentiate between the spinoff story and Galaxy's.

Also loved how they went to Neko Ramen; wouldn't be a Galaxy episode without it.

Really had fun watching this series. Absolutely loved everything about it. Shingo Natsume did a fantastic job directing and Makoto Ueda did a stellar job on the script. Will really miss this series. 9/10
Oct 12, 2022 3:21 PM

Dec 2017
I really loved how it tied itself back to the original in the final episode, in the end it was another of Watashi's loops through his college years.
Oct 12, 2022 7:53 PM
Jul 2020
THEY DID THE THING AAAAAAHHHH
Oct 12, 2022 11:21 PM

Jan 2008
A literal love letter to Tatami Galaxy. A short, yet memorable mini-series and I can safely say now that anything can be sold to me as long as these characters are in.

Solid 7/10
Use your brain before using your keyboard!
Oct 13, 2022 2:15 AM
Mar 2021
Sad to see it gone again hopefully they’ll be more
Oct 13, 2022 3:08 AM

Apr 2016
most refreshing anime i've seen in ages
Oct 13, 2022 3:41 AM
Jan 2020
This episode felt like something from Shaft
Oct 13, 2022 10:34 AM
Sep 2018
It's not as amazing as Tatami galaxy, but it was still a great fanservice for people who enjoyed the original serie years ago.
Oct 13, 2022 12:07 PM

Jun 2022
It's was so great to see such an artistic an visionary series as Tatami Galaxy return. Definitely going to be a strong contender for my favorite anime of this year
I'd like to make myself believe that Planet Earth turns slowly
Oct 13, 2022 6:08 PM

Mar 2012
A relaxing epilogue after all the time travel commotion, that felt like a lost episode of the Tatami Galaxy.
Aww, you can tell how happy Akashi-san was when he agreed to let her use his apartment as the filming location but turns around before it really shows on her face.

"The Mackerel Highway Line existed in the hearts of each member like a railway to their subconscious." + that floating mess of railroad tracks = a blue Mementos
Either that or Persona 5 has influenced me too much. XD

Out of the chaos Ozu caused, they successfully made another b-movie: Summer Time Machine Blues.
So did it turn out to be a masterpiece, the likes Jougasaki would never understand? You betcha.
A good author leaves the audience enough material to be satisfied with, yet yearning for more.
Oct 15, 2022 5:05 AM
Mar 2021
A great finishing episode to a great series.
Oct 15, 2022 2:22 PM

Jul 2017
Finished this and while this final episode felt a bit forced on compared to how the 5th episode gave sufficient closure, it was still decent and wrapped up this portion of this franchise enough. It wasn't a masterpiece by any means and felt a lot more simpler, consumable and less 'fascinating' per say but I enjoyed it quite a bit still. Definitely one of the standout shows of this year although I wouldn't say it's close to that AoTY level with these 6 episodes. It was really good to experience nostalgia again, explore the characters in a group-fashion throughout the series a lot more with a more refreshing perspective of the protagonist and the others and the fun, wacky and weirdly relaxing tone of the series to go alongside the mysteries and time-travel elements that were simple but executed well enough.

Probably a strong 7/10 for me here (the rewatch of the original was a strong 8 for me, bordering 9 but not quite there). Nothing mindblowing and pretty safe/predictable in the grand scheme of things to prevent it from being a special/great entry, but it was still a really nice time overall with good characters, a good story and a good conclusion (albeit lacking in exciting twists compared to your regular old time-travel story). Shingo Natsume did a hell of a job in bringing out and respecting what made Yuasa's adaptation of the original to be so good here and did it with his own flair and style overall too. I like that this whole story while a bit more straightforward, had enough to offer to justify it being adapted rather than just being a weaker clone of the original from start to finish.
Oct 15, 2022 8:53 PM
May 2020
Bravo, Encore!
A great sequel!
Oct 17, 2022 6:11 PM

Oct 2018
It was so short, I could easily eat up hundreds of episodes with these characters.

This episode isn't necessarily the continuation but is used for giving extra information with a lot of tie-ins to the original.

I still prefer Tatami Galaxy overall, but even something like this existing is always great. Doubt there's going to be more.
Oct 20, 2022 7:45 AM
Feb 2021
I kind of love how it turns the entire film into one eccentric and extended Tatami Galaxy episode. Might as well be an early exit for Watashi who has a successfully romantic time travel adventure instead of more time looping
Dec 7, 2022 2:04 PM

Aug 2020
A funny way to close the Tatami universe. I'm going to miss this series.

Dec 12, 2022 11:15 AM

Jul 2014
What a genius ending. We get a bit of nostalgia from following the age-old Tatami Galaxy episode format, only to throw a surprise into the works by using it to perfectly close the time loop. And then it goes even further to confirm that this whole thing really was just one of the many time loops of the original Tatami Galaxy rather than an actual sequel (which answers my nagging questions about where exactly this all fit into the continuity of Tatami Galaxy).

I think this return to the Tatami universe is very much an 8/10, about as good as I could ask for it to be without Yuasa at the helm and when it didn't necessarily need to exist in the first place. The cleverness of this ending makes me seriously tempted to bump that to a 9 though.
Jan 26, 2023 1:39 PM
Oct 2017
I really liked the dynamic all these characters had as friends! I wish we can see more misadventures from them in the future!
Mar 10, 2023 6:05 PM
Mar 2019
Friends forever, through thick & thin.
Mar 20, 2023 8:27 PM

May 2015
I thought the final episode was gonna be about him and Akashi at the event, but we got the artistic finale which is more in line with what the series is like, which I respect.
9/10 hoping for more Tatami Galaxy in the future
Mar 30, 2023 5:52 PM
Jan 2019
A good way to finish the series.
Apr 6, 2023 10:18 AM

Feb 2020
Previous episode should have been the ending of anime. This felt off structure and trying to stretch to fit 6 episode.  Overall, Didn't reach the level of previous entry. But was quite enjoyable regardless
AdampkApr 6, 2023 10:33 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jun 21, 2023 7:52 AM

Sep 2014
Apple2k said:
Same here. It has been long since I have watched an anime that, at the same time, fully captivated me and was genuinely hilarious. Loved the writing and direction.
Jun 21, 2023 8:02 AM

Apr 2016
Miragee said:
Apple2k said:
Same here. It has been long since I have watched an anime that, at the same time, fully captivated me and was genuinely hilarious. Loved the writing and direction.
100% agree. while i enjoyed the direction in the prequel more (i can never forget my first viewing), it's still great and the same engaging and witty writing remained.
Sep 16, 2023 11:37 AM

Aug 2022
This was a great spin-off. Of course it's not as good as the main story, but it's still quite enjoyable and fun.
Nov 15, 2023 11:07 PM
May 2011
My hunger for more Yojouhan content is ceaseless. This episode was a nice diversion but for the final episode of a short season, and who knows when or if anything more will come out, this did little to sate my appetite.
Nov 23, 2023 3:26 AM

Sep 2007
Loved this show, was an unexpected treat to get to spend more time with this cast after the books had seemed to stop years ago. Can only hope more is written and Science SARU pick it up.

I'd say this series is a great gateway into anime if you love Wes Anderson movies.
Dec 7, 2023 3:30 AM

Jan 2009
ah there you go time is an illusion just like the frames in the movies

ozu is the devil though
Jan 28, 12:42 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
This show is so good. I wasn't able to stay away from it as soon as I started watching it. Such a fun time.

8/10
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yojouhan Time Machine Blues Episode 5 Discussion

Unowen - Oct 12, 2022

21 by deg »»
Dec 7, 2023 3:05 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Time Machine Blues Episode 4 Discussion

CodeMoon - Oct 5, 2022

21 by deg »»
Dec 7, 2023 1:24 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Time Machine Blues Episode 3 Discussion

CaptainKenshiro - Sep 28, 2022

17 by deg »»
Dec 7, 2023 12:50 AM

Poll: » Yojouhan Time Machine Blues Episode 2 Discussion

_MushiRock11_ - Sep 21, 2022

23 by deg »»
Dec 6, 2023 11:54 PM

Poll: » Yojouhan Time Machine Blues Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Mcsuper - Sep 14, 2022

54 by deg »»
Dec 6, 2023 8:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.