3It was OK
36.9%
2Disliked it
13.9%
1Hated it
9.2%
Average 3.2
588 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 5, 2022 7:30 AM

Nov 2011
Decent episode. Musashi has such a upbeat personality, especially during his childhood. He and Kojirou has such a close bond during their childhood as shown in their flashbacks.

In the present timeline, it looks like he maintains a cheerful mood although more aggressive when fighting. Episode is also lighthearted with its style of comedy. I think the show so far is trying to get viewers to like the main leads, especially Musashi.
Jan 5, 2022 7:30 AM

Jul 2017
From the creator of Magi, here comes Shinobu Ohtaka's next work: Orient, a story that has all her marks of Magi emblazoned into it, with the Demon Slayer feels in a Sengoku period.

In the Sengoku period where demons reign supreme, and everything is in sacifice to Kishin, there's brothers Musashi and Kojiro working their ass off on dreams of being demon slayers called Bushi-dan that just didn't materialize. Musashi has a lowly miner with a pickaxe that looks more like a demon-slaying Katana, and Kojiro has lived on being a Bushi which are maligned and treated like trash.

The "paradise" where demons are worshipped and humans are nothing but tools of worship and offering as sacrifice. And Musashi won't take this lying down, because his dream is to be a Bushi. Also, this is a show where the Power of Friendship is prevalent, so as tropey as it is that everyone hates it to the core, I can appreciate the use of it here as a power tool and a story narrative that's the standard of any Shounen show. The motorcycle scene kinda baffles me though.

I'm even more surprised that A.C.G.T could pull this off being all of its Shounen taste, but given the studio's history, I'm quite worried for the overall production values which looked rough on the edges. Regardless, this a decent start, and while this ain't Magi Season 3, I'm gonna keep being optimistic for what's to come, even if it's generic Shounen and less stellar than Magi. Good OST, and the ED slaps more than the OP.
KANLen09Jan 5, 2022 9:33 AM
Jan 5, 2022 7:31 AM
Mar 2021
The animation was very rough. Fully showing that it's made by a studio whose most notable work in the past 20 years is Freezing.
Jan 5, 2022 7:39 AM

Jul 2017
It was a pretty bland and uninspired start for a battle shounen series seemingly like this, everything about it from the dual protagonists and Musashi and Kojiro's respective personality traits and motivations, to the monsters themselves feel too formulaic from its many contemporaries.

Main thing I liked was the fact that the characters were called Musashi and Kojiro themselves, basing themselves on Miyamoto Musashi and Sasaki Kojiro in the first place. The mangaka for Orient also worked on Magi, and the general starting few episodes for that series had much more potential than this one for the setting and world building, characters, motivations for Alibaba and Aladdin, etc. This series in contrast feels lacking in that hook for a premiere for this kind of series, and given the premiere, I don't see a fun hook coming from this series anytime soon.

Visuals were as cheap and uninspired as the premiere itself. It looked really rough and janky. A.C.G.T are not the best studio for a series like this.
Jan 5, 2022 7:42 AM

Feb 2020
Decent start. The story and characters are interesting enough. :)
Jan 5, 2022 7:56 AM

Apr 2018
I haven't seen Magi yet but I did see a few clips here and there and this is clearly not on the same level. Not the right studio for a shounen like this. Visuals were really cheap and not sure how ''scary'' the oni's were in the manga because they just look like adorable cats in the anime. Aside from the visuals, the characters are pretty bland. It's a typical situation where one side is hated to death and discriminated until they've done something amazing to regain their status. Kojiro and Musashi are both great names and hopefully the characters can live up to their names because at the moment, nothing is really special about this.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jan 5, 2022 7:58 AM
Sep 2015
If they want to differentiate this anime from dozens of similar anime they should go full BL. I've enough of a show full of hot character designs, I want hot interections.
Jan 5, 2022 7:59 AM

Feb 2019
Pretty ok episode.
Some parts were predictable.
Jan 5, 2022 8:24 AM

May 2020
Well it has a feeling of your typical battle shounen, and ngl this first episode was good enough to have us introduce the setting this show will keep.

Bushi slaying down oni's or oni masters, well that's the fate of our main duo. So really looking forward to this. Also nice OP and ED there.
Jan 5, 2022 8:45 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
It's not different than most shounen so far even though the universe looks quite simple, the Oni being giant cats with weird mouths is kinda ridiculous xD and the usual backstory for the blond guy being persecuted etc, but I'm sure they'll be a good Bushi duo, I like the fact that the MC is fighting with his giant pickaxe to be honest
Jan 5, 2022 8:50 AM
Jan 2020
At least it's kind of decent enough for me to actually pay attention. But, eh, the animation looks cheap.

Well, I'll look forward to whatever this show might offer.
Jan 5, 2022 8:50 AM

Oct 2017
Generic shounen start, not bad but nothing out of ordinary. Animation was lacking as well with many still scenes. I do like the mc and artstyle thou. Hopefully this'll get better.
Jan 5, 2022 8:54 AM

Jun 2019
First of all, the OP is fire. Musashi is pretty cool looking in character design and to think he doesn't want to become a miner but is doing it anyway is quite relatable. On the other hand, we got to see the backstory on Kojiro which was sad.

The plot twist was the Oni they all were thinking about to be something else ended up as the Oni monsters. Musashi got beaten to a pulp but Kojiro came just in time for him. We also got to see Musashi's sword skills with his pickaxe. Oni boss is approaching. The OST in this show is really fricking good. A generic but good start to the show IMO. Looking forward to more.
Jan 5, 2022 8:56 AM

Sep 2018
That was painful to watch.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jan 5, 2022 9:09 AM

Mar 2018
At least it has some "so bad it is funny moments". The main characters designs in comparison with all the other characters is hilarious, like they don't even fit in their own anime. The motorcycle made me fall over in laughter. Other then that this is pretty generic with poor animation, some funny moments and stupid forced drama.
Jan 5, 2022 9:17 AM

Oct 2013
As a manga reader this is quite disappointing, the animation is literally seven deadly sins s3/s4 level. I'm probably gonna stick to the manga.

I don't want to be that guy and shill the manga, its pretty dogshit until like 40 chaps in but its at best a 6.
Jan 5, 2022 9:23 AM

Nov 2016
Did the oni masters remind someone else of

I've only seen 7 episodes of Magi with a friend, yet already the first episode seemed more promising than Orient. But who knows, I wasn't fond of Black Clover in the beginning either and it turned out to be one of my favorites. Even if it's unlikely, this could grow on me the same way. I'm bound to give this a shot as a battle shounen enthusiast. Ending was kinda hype despite the limited production and the fact that I'm not yet invested in the characters.
FMmatronJan 5, 2022 9:26 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 5, 2022 9:41 AM

Jul 2021
The anime seems to be pretty random, in addition to being an average first episode.
Hope it gets better in the next episodes.
asdasdsadad
Jan 5, 2022 9:42 AM

Aug 2012
So many things wrong with this I do not know where to start:
1. The Bushi/smaurai were indeed abusing the normal citizens. Now was this better or not than the new regime is unknown . Of course the fact that most people are ok with the oni is debatable if is better or not
2. motocycles in warring states japan
3. Warring States period was caused by samurai
4. the Oni are grotesque cats?
5. The war scythe or war pick would not look like this . A war pick would be usable in battle but not like this. It would be quite inefficient for doing the moves intended in the anime and mechanically almost impossible. The pick-axe has a completely different weight and mass distribution to a glaive or a sword. So that thing in his hand could not be used as a pickaxe either
6. they are starving but have a motocycle? really?
Jan 5, 2022 9:57 AM

Mar 2016
What an uninspiring and soulless display. To get this out of the way, the production value of this show is already in the dirt from the get-go considering that the producers are both Crunchyroll and billibilli.
Second off, this premise is essentially the most blatant carbon copy of literally every other notable shounen in existence. Generic caricatural characters, bland and impractical concepts, superficial historical-based setting, the typical infuriating shounen tropes that you'd see everywhere you go, and just no sense of identity for itself. Even Fairy Tail was never this bad.
As someone who enjoyed the Magi anime, I'm disappointed by the same author's new venture being just an inferior clone.

(Disclaimer: I read the manga, it's just as bad and doesn't improve, but at least the art in that one is decent)
Jan 5, 2022 10:16 AM
Sep 2019
A good start for sure, Decent OP, and a good ED, exciting to see how it unfolds, with a good plot setup
Jan 5, 2022 10:36 AM

May 2021
Great episode! I really enjoyed the first episode and will continue to watch Musashi and Kojiro on their journies to slay Oni as a Bushi band!

Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Jan 5, 2022 10:52 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm so monsters invade sengoku era japan huh. Cool concept but one thats already been used for the famed Warriors Orochi series. Its ironic that despite their brave stand after the Kishin won that the samurai would be seen as the villains. Its funny that Musashi's pick of choice is actually a scythe. Changing history is also a given too. That bout between little Musashi and Kojiro was pretty cute. Funny that the Kishin at the mines were giant monster teddies though. Gotta hand it to Musashi and Kojiro though that was one hell of a statement that they made there though. Bits its their upcoming fight with a Kishin that will be the determining factor. Overall an interesting opening ep that introduced a pretty interesting if not original concept. Musashi looks to be the brash mc while Kojiro will be the one that stabilizes their bond.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 5, 2022 11:00 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Makes me happy to see Shinobu Ohtaka have another one of her series be animated :'')

But overall this was a decent first episode, animation could be better but it's by no means bad, and I like both of our main characters already (But having the names Musashi and Kojiro kinda scares me into thinking that they'll end up like their historical namesakes and that would hurt a lot lol)

The lore behind the world was neat too so I'm looking forward to seeing more and getting introduced to new characters on both sides of the field
Jan 5, 2022 11:03 AM
Dec 2013
Well, here it is. From the creator of Magi, we have Orient. It's nice to see the Magi artstyle again. I've read a bit of the manga for this and in the manga, Kojiro is always smoking cigarettes. But of course, the anime ended up having to censor it out completely, though I do understand why they had to. At least the anime doesn't censor blood. The animation is average, which is unfortunate, especially since this is a battle shounen. Would've been better if A-1 Pictures did this instead, as they're the same studio that did Magi.

I wonder how the pacing will be. Will it be the same rushed pacing as Magi, which adapted chapters 2-115 (114 chapters) in 25 episodes? Or will the pacing be slower? Will it be 2 cour or 1 cour? I have no idea. But the manga is serialised in a weekly magazine. Well, I'm just looking forward to the content that I haven't read in the manga. I enjoyed Magi, and I'm hoping I'll enjoy this just as much.
wildhoodJan 5, 2022 12:59 PM
Jan 5, 2022 11:24 AM

Jul 2011
This anime is strange in the bad way. Why a miners-to-be-slaves need school? And the Bushi descendant get slavery exception?

Jan 5, 2022 11:43 AM
Sep 2020
Well, I gotta say, that initial setup was interesting. I couldn't help but empathize with the MC throughout this episode. Imagine having to suppress your most deeply held values every day, for fear of being ostracized or worse.
Still, it'd have been much more badass if he dared to openly reveal his dreams before the true nature of onis was revealed. Guess he feared becoming an outcast more than he feared the man-eating monsters.
For that matter, why in the world did he give his cherished weapon away before coming through the gates? That stinks of lazy writing.

Come to think of it, why did his friend come on a motorcycle? Supposedly he just wanted to return some notes and had no idea he'd have to come to his friend's rescue. So why risk riding an illegal motorcycle through town just to deliver a bag to his friend?

There were also quite a few idiotic elements in the worldbuilding:
- So, people go to the mines, and are never heard from ever again? Don't these guys have friends or family who wonder what happened to them?
- These hellish mines seem to be like, a stone's throw from the city gates, but nobody has ever bothered to look inside, and nobody hears the screams of the devoured miners?
- Broke: Disarming your fearsome enemies. Woke: Literally forcing your enemies by law to remain armed at all times.
- What even is taught at that miner school? Do you really need five years of education to bang a pickaxe against rocks?

I guess I'm getting too old for such kiddie shows...
Jan 5, 2022 11:44 AM

Mar 2018
First episode is just a big exposition dump with pretty bad perspective in some fight scenes.
Jan 5, 2022 11:45 AM
Mar 2021
Decent start, really set up the world nicely. The main characters seem interesting. The only thing that bothered me is that where tf did he get the motorcycle and the oni's look not scary at all. But I'm interested where the story leads. The OP is fire tho!
Jan 5, 2022 11:56 AM

Oct 2014
Really nice to finally see this series animated after following the manga from the day it started publishing. I wish a better studio had taken this on though, the animation is really poor compared to the quality of the series it's taking on.

The opening song was good though and the voice actors did a good job. I was always going to watch this but I can't say I'm not a little disappointed with the animation quality although admittedly I did see this coming based on the trailers.
Jan 5, 2022 11:57 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
I don't get how people can think it was decent after watching that first episode, it was really bad lmao.

Below average animation, laughable story, and boring cliche shounen stuff

Ez skip
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 5, 2022 12:18 PM

Jun 2016
You can smell the shounen off of this one from a mile away, lol. It was just not a great first episode. I mean, just the visual quality itself is a worrying sign. I hope, for this shows sake, that the generic opening episode becomes less predictable and branches off in an interesting direction from the standard formula.

Kojiro looked like he was ready to duel on that Kitetsu Unit, and why do the oni neko's have a crystal on their ass? Also, Bushi Band sounds like a name a card game company would have, or a group of shamisen players would come up with.

Lots of unintentionally funny moments with some of the cuts. Like please, for the love of God, don't cut straight to a character making a goofy face. It's not visually good at all.

Initial thoughts: This one's gonna be a fucking mess.

A-Simple-SquireJan 5, 2022 12:22 PM

Jan 5, 2022 12:41 PM
Dec 2021
The series has an interesting premise i guess but this is painfully bland and uninspiring. Both musashi and his friend are somewhat painfully 2D. They really tried hard making them deep and relatable but it came off as generic. The speeches themselves were very generic and shoen-y. Everything just went by.. off.. jumping from the school kids plotpoint with lame generic bushi discrimination to suddenly in 10 seconds these weird teddybear monsters and people mining like slaves.

Weird stuff. Weird pacing. Not very good characters. Ill still watch a few more episodes because the story itself interests me kinda. Might get better with more characters
Jan 5, 2022 12:53 PM

Dec 2020
Musashi has trained with his childhood friend Kojirou. They are wanted to be Bushi to destroy the Oni.

His Katana looks nice lol. Idk what to tell more.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Jan 5, 2022 1:10 PM

Feb 2021
well damn this is terrible lmao orient deserved better.
*simping over 2D characters*
Jan 5, 2022 1:10 PM

Jan 2014
Honestly interesting start, with an interesting premise, as I did like the episode, but wasn't completely blown away, or impressed by anything so far. It all depends how the main characters carry the show, and how it progresses from here. Could be worth a watch, even if it feels a bit mid so far.
Jan 5, 2022 1:40 PM

Jul 2017
for a brief moment the intro part gave Drifters vibes but that was quickly squashed lmao. I knew those character designs looked familiar but nice to see it was from the same author as Magi

but eh ok start I guess. I really did love the colour palette used lmao but it's a shame the animation didn't really live up to the art inb4 they pull a Black Clover where the animation improves massively later on
Jan 5, 2022 1:47 PM

Jun 2014
Well this was quite literally the definition of average, especially for a premiere episode where the main purpose is to hook you in and impress you right away. The MCs are no different from most of your typical shounen protag/deuteragonist duos, the plot twist with the onis was obvious from miles away, and lol at that motorcycle 💀 oh yea and the animation was pretty meh as well. I'll stick with this but my expectations going forward are definitely much lower.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 5, 2022 1:48 PM

Jan 2015
That was so ass that it might even cross into the so bad it's good territory
Jan 5, 2022 2:15 PM

Jun 2013
Demon Slayer made in china
Jan 5, 2022 2:46 PM

Sep 2018
lol, can already tell this is going to be a mid 5/10 series, possibly even lower. Haven't seen a worse opening episode in a long time.
Jan 5, 2022 3:37 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Hmm. I kind of like the premise of the battle between the oni and bushi taking place during the Warring States period reminded me of the Onimusha games. However, it is going to take at least two more episodes to see where the plot is going.
Jan 5, 2022 4:21 PM

Apr 2011
Please don't tell me Kojiro will be using a tiny sword the whole series...
Jan 5, 2022 4:21 PM

Apr 2011
Please don't tell me Kojiro will be using a tiny sword the whole series...
Jan 5, 2022 4:38 PM
Jul 2021
i'm just happy it's not another isekai
Jan 5, 2022 5:13 PM
Jul 2021
Instant drop🤣🤝 i actually fall asleep watching the first Episode. Im going to watch Some good stuff🤝
Jan 5, 2022 5:13 PM
Feb 2018
the episode episode was pretty good. koijirou called musashi brother but he was not force to carry a kantana to mark him as a bushi and they spent time as children so maybe he some blood relation or an orphan dumped on Koijirou father to add to their misery. also the motorcycle make me thing that the oni force the human to revert to a feudal society to make them easier to control
Jan 5, 2022 5:59 PM
Jan 2022
Ryuseishun said:
What an uninspiring and soulless display. To get this out of the way, the production value of this show is already in the dirt from the get-go considering that the producers are both Crunchyroll and billibilli.
Second off, this premise is essentially the most blatant carbon copy of literally every other notable shounen in existence. Generic caricatural characters, bland and impractical concepts, superficial historical-based setting, the typical infuriating shounen tropes that you'd see everywhere you go, and just no sense of identity for itself. Even Fairy Tail was never this bad.
As someone who enjoyed the Magi anime, I'm disappointed by the same author's new venture being just an inferior clone.

(Disclaimer: I read the manga, it's just as bad and doesn't improve, but at least the art in that one is decent)

Thank you i really needed someone to justify the dumpster fire i just watched. At first i thought it was going to be nuanced. Like sure, the Oni might have made an empire, but they seemed to have abolished a a centuries old corrupt feudal system which really DID start the warring states period. Instead they were giant evil cats and corrupt administrators and then we get a nice slap in the face with the motorcycle. Not to mention all of the other problems like production quality, the mellowdrama etc.
Jan 5, 2022 6:14 PM
Dec 2021
Alright start, hope the 2nd episode will be fire for a change
Jan 5, 2022 6:47 PM

Oct 2008
hmmmm it was alright!
pick-axe-katana was clever huh...
3/5.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Orient Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2022

45 by Destroyer31 »»
Dec 5, 2023 9:30 PM

Poll: » Orient Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2022

45 by ionelHeredia »»
May 27, 2023 8:17 AM

Poll: » Orient Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2022

26 by ionelHeredia »»
May 25, 2023 9:16 PM

Poll: » Orient Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2022

19 by ionelHeredia »»
May 24, 2023 8:33 AM

Poll: » Orient Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 9, 2022

30 by andreariona »»
Feb 20, 2023 3:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.