Forum Settings
Forums

How do you stop thinking about unhealthy/junk food while dieting?

New
Oct 21, 2021 10:01 PM

Jun 2017
I've had weight problems and poor eating habits my whole life, i thought i'd try dieting and i think i'm doing ok but whenever i can manage to eat healthy for a day, all i can think of is junk food.

Like Pizza and Burgers and Tacos. I feel hungry thinking about the stuff, despite eating enough normal, healthy food throughout the day.

How to stop thinking about bad food?
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Oct 21, 2021 10:04 PM

May 2013
All ya gotta do is make delicious healthy food.

How I lost alot of weight was making vegetarian sandwiches on wheat bread. They were so good.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Oct 21, 2021 10:07 PM
Level 1 Otaku

Jan 2018
You don't, after some time you'll eventually stop thinking about junk food. Just don't give in to the cravings and it'll pass over.

Oct 21, 2021 10:20 PM
Apr 2021
Im not an expert on the subject, but I will tell you about my experience ...

I think you shouldn't change your habit too quickly. You can start eating less junk food little by little and replace it with healthier food.

In my case, I lost 15 KG by changing my diet little by little and doing cardio and strength exercises. First I started exercising two days a week, then three and so on until I got used to doing it 6 times a week. I would do cardio exercises one day and eat less to have a caloric deficit, and the next day I would do strength exercises and eat normally to try to maintain my muscles because when you lose weight you also lose muscle.

I began to replace junk foods with healthier ones that I liked and were more satisfying like bananas, fried eggs without oil, boiled potatoes, etc. You should also control the amount of healthy food you eat because if you consume a high amount of calories from healthy food, you can continue to gain weight.

The trick is to consume fewer calories and do cardio exercises to lose weight and strength exercises so that when you lose weight you dont lose muscle
rz21c97Oct 21, 2021 10:25 PM
Oct 21, 2021 11:08 PM

Mar 2008
Make healthier versions of what you want to eat.

_Nette_ said:

How I lost alot of weight was making vegetarian sandwiches on wheat bread. They were so good.

When you said vegetarian sandwich i thought of the saddest sandwich.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toast_sandwich

Actually I should try it some time.
Oct 21, 2021 11:14 PM

Jul 2016
traed said:
and this is why people make vegan chicken tender strips out of grapefruit peels.

disclaimer: i don't like chicken strips or grapefruit peels. it just makes me laugh when i see the lengths of what people will create to imitate the foods they actually want to eat.
Oct 21, 2021 11:16 PM

May 2013
traed said:

_Nette_ said:

When you said vegetarian sandwich i thought of the saddest sandwich.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toast_sandwich

Actually I should try it some time.

Lol a toast sandwich that is great.

Makes me hungry though. Been trying to eat less in general and just thinking of food drives me insane.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Oct 21, 2021 11:43 PM

May 2016
How I lost weight was just starving myself and I eat basically only shit.

I still do eat only shit but I keep it down now. Was like 190 something. Hit 155 and now 161.

I don't drink soda so that helps a lot
Oct 21, 2021 11:52 PM

Oct 2021
If you really like to stop the thought of eating unhealthy/junk food then try diverting it into something which has similar taste but differ in ingredients (healthy version of it). Like if you want sweet then why not try something like a honey-based food (something like that). But really, it's all about the mindset like if you think you want it to, then you'll have no progress at all. On the other hand, you may include unhealthy/junk food into smaller portions as a side dish/snack into your HEALTHY main dish. You won't have to exactly make yourself suffer. This time it's eating in moderation (having strict discipline). Hehe

BELIEVE you deserve it and the universe will serve it.
Oct 22, 2021 12:00 AM

Aug 2018
The easiest way is probably just to blow your brains out, that way you can stop thinking about it and also lose a lot of weight, although I guess it comes with a few downsides (don’t actually do this).

Otherwise, as another has mentioned, making healthier versions of stuff you already like seems like a good idea, i.e. adding healthy toppings on pizza and tacos. Compromise instead of restrain
Oct 22, 2021 12:09 AM
Jul 2018
I don't think dieting works, because you won't keep up with it forever.

It's more useful to change your habits into eating healthier in general instead of dieting, if that means that you abstain from certain food.
You still can eat junk food and sweets, but not so often anymore.

Also pizza doesn't have to be junk food. Sometimes I make my own instead of eating this trash you can buy in the supermarket.
Oct 22, 2021 3:02 AM

Feb 2018
Willpower. How badly do you want to follow your diet? If you don't have the resolve then even a diet that is maintained for a long time can be easily broken

If you are a friend. Visit my profile to recommend me something to watch ( ^▽^)ψ__
Oct 22, 2021 3:17 AM

Jun 2010
Stay active is one of the key elements to lose and maintain your weight. Incorporate everyday activities to be part of your daily exercise regime. Depending how you define dieting, if it is to starve yourself for hours and hours, then it is not gonna work in the long run. If you go on diet that restricts food that is of high level of calories, it will be helpful.

Personally, my daily activities is my exercise programme. I walk a lot and walk fast. I walk up and down stairs whenever there is an opportunity to. For instance, when I am in the mall, I will use the stairs instead of the elevator. Or if there are escalators, I will also climb up and down when using them.

Intensity in exercising also plays a part. When you walk fast, you tend to burn more calories. When I go to the supermarket, I don't drive there. It's about 15 minutes walk. It's easier to walk there empty-handed. When I finish my shopping, I will carry all the stuff I bought and walk home. Boy, the groceries are heavy and my muscles get the workout (hahaha).

Then there is housework chores. They are great exercises. Vacuuming, mopping, dusting, wiping windows, washing dishes, laundry, yard work, gardening, and many more are good for burning calories.

Don't sit at the computer or the couch whole day. Get up and do some exercises. You don't need to go for high impact for starter but do something simple like walking or jogging in the park or garden or near the beach or anywhere that is relaxing. Do it early in the morning where there are less vehicles and the air is still fresh.

Next, it is about the food consumption. I personally love to eat but I don't eat out or buy takeaways. I prefer to cook myself. Food operators do not use good quality ingredients. For example, when I prepare my own sandwiches or burgers, I can choose what kind of oil to use and how much to use. I can also choose the type of condiments like unsalted butter instead of salted butter for instance. If I cook a dish, I can put in more vegetables and less meat. I can choose lean meat that has less fat. If I bake say chocolate cake, I reduce the ingredients such as sugar and salt. Having high level of sugar and salt in your body may potentially cause a lot of health issues in the long term.

Well, having said so much above, I'm not an expert in dieting or cooking. I'm sharing my own experience to keep myself healthy. There are many food that we can eat, I only modify them and cook myself. So even french fries and burgers are tasty and healthy when I cook them myself. Even lasagna does not make me put on weight (hahaha).

I hope you will be able to find some activities that will help you stay active everyday. Sitting at the computer or in front of the TV screen and eating are not going to help you reduce weight. Go outside, take a walk in the park. If there is no park, walk around the neighbourhood for half an hour and do it everyday. If you don't like the outside, then do walking exercise at home. There is something called "power walking" exercise where you can do it at home. You can find this exercise on youtube.

Oh one more thing, stock up your fridge with fruits and if you like snacks, you can get some healthy ones. Get some healthy drinks like low fat milk and fruit juice instead of soda drinks. In fact, drinking plain water is the best. I drink a lot myself.

Do share how your progress goes after some time. All the best to you!
Oct 22, 2021 3:44 AM
Jul 2018
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

It's more useful to change your habits into eating healthier in general instead of dieting, if that means that you abstain from certain food.

Also pizza doesn't have to be junk food. Sometimes I make my own instead of eating this trash you can buy in the supermarket.
I agree, this is a really great approach. Changing habits and incorporating healthy options into your lifestyle, including exercise. I don’t think dieting or completely cutting out foods you enjoy works but changing your habits into healthier ones will have more of a long term effect.
Oct 22, 2021 5:18 AM
Jul 2018
_meimei said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

I agree, this is a really great approach. Changing habits and incorporating healthy options into your lifestyle, including exercise. I don’t think dieting or completely cutting out foods you enjoy works but changing your habits into healthier ones will have more of a long term effect.

Yes, I wouldn't recommend dieting or counting calories to anyone. ^^'

I had a phase, when I was obsessed with counting calories, eating at max 1.200 kcal a day, and doing sports, and as soon as you have some abs, it's quite hard to keep them.

I had quite strange eating disorder. I always worried that all the sports was for nothing, if I eat something unhealthy... or eat something at all that wasn't vegetables or so.

Not doing that anymore, that was awful. I wear one size bigger than at that time, but I'm feeling much better munching on a bit of chocolate or so everyday lol.

I'm still doing some sports circa three times a week, cook for myself and eat quite healthy, but only to maintain my weight and to feel good.

Also when I ate at best 1.200, mostly 1.000, kcal a day, I almost always was freezing and had problems with my circulatory system and had quite severe iron deficiency and low blood sugar level.

Tl;dr: Don't do this.
Oct 22, 2021 5:22 AM
Jul 2018
I have the opposite problem, I actually have to really force myself to think about food, otherwise, I'll be only drinking coffee and not eating or drinking anything else.
Oct 22, 2021 6:38 AM
Jul 2018
Well the general rule of thumb when it comes to kicking bad habits is distraction. If you find yourself thinking about junk food, find something to do that will take your mind off it.
Oct 22, 2021 7:15 AM

Nov 2020
I just ate way smaller portions of unhealthy foods. That did end up making me hungry af and was not healthy at all but I had enough self control from eating more.
You could try cheat day. Schedule one day you’ll eat like shit but I sometimes find that strategy hard.
Meal prep everything. It’ll be easier to not get off track since you got everything prepared and it’ll be cheaper for your wallet
Or just be creative and create low calorie version of junk food.
-Cauliflower crust pizza with low fat cheese
-Use a lean ground beef for your burgers and a low calorie bun or even better no bun
-use lettuce instead of a tortilla or make a egg tortilla
These will noway be as good but it’s probably enough to suppress your cravings
If there's a hole there's a goal-Master Oogway
Oct 22, 2021 7:37 AM
Dec 2017
Just keep on eating apples or whatver fruit you'll like and the thoughts of fast food get out of your head

Oct 22, 2021 7:43 AM

Dec 2016
You can't just resist the temptation until you get used to your new healthy diet, eventually you will stop thinking about it. It ain't easy losing weight so have some self control @TheBlockernator
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Oct 22, 2021 7:47 AM
Jul 2018
Simple answer is you need self control. Also If you don't know what to make just search healthy food recipes.
BallistikJuice said:
I have the opposite problem, I actually have to really force myself to think about food, otherwise, I'll be only drinking coffee and not eating or drinking anything else.

Same for me, I just have to eat even though I'm not feeling it. Also I don't drink coffee I drink water, juice and smoothie.
removed-userOct 22, 2021 7:58 AM
Oct 22, 2021 7:59 AM

May 2021
distract yourself with good food I guess
Oct 22, 2021 8:18 AM
Jul 2018
DonutCloud said:
The simple answer is you need self-control. Also If you don't know what to make just search for healthy food recipes.
BallistikJuice said:

Same for me, I just have to eat even though I'm not feeling it. Also, I don't drink coffee I drink water, juice, and smoothie.

I have to drink coffee a few times a day otherwise I feel dead.
Also, I never liked any fruit juices let alone fruits ever since I was a kid, so...yep.
Oct 22, 2021 9:10 AM
Jul 2018
BallistikJuice said:
DonutCloud said:
The simple answer is you need self-control. Also If you don't know what to make just search for healthy food recipes.

Same for me, I just have to eat even though I'm not feeling it. Also, I don't drink coffee I drink water, juice, and smoothie.

I have to drink coffee a few times a day otherwise I feel dead.
Also, I never liked any fruit juices let alone fruits ever since I was a kid, so...yep.

I can understand I know some people irl who needs coffee or they day is not started or ruined.
The opposite thing happened to me, I liked few fruits as a kid, but now I don't eat fruits almost at all. Because I don't like them that much anymore. That's why I drink smoothies now it's easier for me drink fruits than eat them.
removed-userOct 22, 2021 9:17 AM
Oct 22, 2021 9:42 AM
Feb 2020
Buy butter which is a minimum of 82% Fat. And put a lot of it on your wholegrain bread, wholegrain rice, wholegrain pasta, hard high fibre vegetables, etc.

Your body needs cholesterol and it needs fat soluble vitamins. Your brain cells are made of cholesterol. When you eat protein you can not digest it without bile. To make bile you need fat.

Fat is also the healthiest energy source for your body. Every bite of fat comes with all the supporting minerals and fat soluble vitamins you need to process sugar.

You see you can not use glucose or sugar without phosphorous, magnesium, b vitamins, etc.

When they add sugar to things they do not (they just don't) add the corresponding amount of extra magnesium and extra phosphorous you will need for you to process it without unbalancing your body's internal chemistry.

If you don't eat milk or dairy products then increase the amount of avocadoes, nuts, nut butter, fatty fish, eggs, etc you eat.

The fat in food is tremendously good for you. The fats in fatty fish will make you feel satisfied and they will make your brain work better.

The fat in butter and cheese if you're okay to eat butter and cheese will make your bones stronger because every piece of that fat holds a ton of calcium.

When the fastest animal in the world eats it's prey it eats all of it. Including the fat. Which it needs for it's high energy running.

If you eat more sugar than your body needs or can use, your body will easily turn it into fat.

It's just way too much time and effort for your body to break fat into a form that can be absorbed and convert it back into storable fat. Trying to get fat from eating fat is like trying to sell milk to a cow.

Seriously eat more fat. And be sure to eat strong vegetables and high fibre wholegrains with your fat (Fibre rich foods are very good for your heart).

Also eat more protein from plant foods like beans, peas, chickpeas, etc.

A good clean healthy snack is a can of chickpeas, drained, warmed in a microwave or lightly roasted in the oven even, and something like idk some carrot sticks or peppers or something.

Try this:

If you live near some where where they sell whole, quater or half cooked chickens (grilled, broiled or roasted chicken) buy half a small chicken and a box of tomato juice and just eat it.

You won't feel hungry for a very long time.

During that time you can go shopping and you will find it easier to not buy junk.

You'll also find it easier to cook or prepare a meal for when you do get hungry again.

A good thing to do if you have a freezer is to cook a lot of something say: A big pot of chilli, or a curry and freeze it in meal-size boxes you can take out of the freezer and heat up.

If your body is telling you to keep eating it is some times because:

What you're giving it does not have the specific nutrient it needs. If your body specifically needs X-grams of chromium, zinc, sulphur, copper, etc to be able to do some process it's trying to do right now, it is going to keep giving you the signal to keep eating. If you're growing your body will need more. If you're body is trying to add two inches to your height, or if it's trying to make your lungs bigger, it's going to need you to not starve it of good food.

Nutrient dense foods like hard vegetables, full fat fish, meat, milk and eggs, nuts, peas, beans and whole grains (most of the minerals in grains are in the hard outer shell of the grain) also (the skins of vegetables and fruit potatoes, berries, etc have a lot of vitamins).

Frozen and canned vegetables can be an easy way to boost your veg intake.

Frozen green beans are cheap and putting a lot of them on your plate will help keep you very satisfied.

Canned sweetcorn warmed in a microwave or in a saucepan and then served with butter smells good, tastes good and is sold by street food sellers in many countries.

When you eat healthy options for junk food remember to put fat on them.

If you're having a crunchy green apple. It will be better for you to have it with some nut butter (without a lot of sugar in it) or some cheese.

If you're having full fat yogurt, have a handful of berries to go with it. The fat will help you absorb all of the carotenoids in the berries which are good for every one's eyes, skin, etc.

Btw:

When you start eating high fibre foods this will help you:

Cut up a pineapple and keep it in the refrigerator. Have a slice with every meal. Also keep a tub of plain yogurt in the refregerator. Have a tablespoon with every meal.

The enzyme bromelain in fresh cut pineapples is very good for digestion. The friendly bacteria in yogurt will digest some of the fibre so we don't have to.

If you don't have any of these then it's best to take it slow... if you have lemon juice, vinegar or fresh fruits the acids they have will help soften the vegetables a little... but they aren't as ridiculously overpowered as pineapple or natural yogurt.

TLDR

Trying to eat healthy and Feel hungry?

Eat more Fat, Fibre and Protein (like your Ancestors).
Oct 22, 2021 10:44 AM

Jun 2016
Eat junk food once a week but have some low-calorie snacks/food in general in the fridge 24/7.

A diet is good when it's sustainable, you're just making it harder for yourself if you suddenly stop eating food you like. Yes, sacrifices have to be made, but it's better to have a diet that doesn't make you dread the idea of having a meal.

Have low-cal food around the house in very convenient places and hide (or ask someone to hide) the more calorie dense stuff in places you don't really frequent.

Also drink a lot, eat fibre rich food and distract yourself as best as you can.
Oatmeal can be amazing diet food and it keeps you full for a long arse time.

Keep it simple.

Simple simple simple.
Oct 22, 2021 10:53 AM

Feb 2010
<--- someone who actually does bulking and cutting (diet to lose fat).

Drink a lot of water, a gallon in the first half of the day, and zero sugar soda that's your lifeline. Eventually you don't worry about junk a lot.

Eat full meals so you're not hungry as often. On keto you could add a lot of zero sugar/low carb sauces and cheese, to make your meals (mostly meat) taste real good. Dieting other ways aren't nearly as effective btw and I've seen ppl fail them countless times or "relapse" lol

Should also be working out often so that meals really refuel you and you get really hungry. This makes food (even if bland) much more satisfying and you don't think about junk as often. You'll think about food more as fuel then just something that supposed to taste good for you to eat it.

Also try to never be around bad food in the first place
Oct 23, 2021 4:58 AM
The Color Morale

Apr 2018
Just stop being a fatass. It's that simple. *I say this while eating a cheese danish and drinking a redbull.
Oct 23, 2021 5:43 AM
Oct 2021
You will feel cravings because your body needs a vitamin or mineral. You can look up "food cravings chart" on google and find a bunch of infographics that explain what your body needs when you are craving aomthing unhealthy and what healthy foods to eat to get it, you can eat a small amoun of food with all the vitamins and minerals you need and feel satistifed. But you can also eat piles and piles of food with no nutrients and still feel hungry.

Also remember you are a drug addict, addicted to the chemical release you get in your brain. Not the food you eat. So managing this will help more than trying to deal with the eating part.

Also you are probably just bored. If you sit down all day and are not stimulated you will always be hungry, if you get up and practice some karate or somthing for half an hour you will probably uust forget you were feeling hungry.

Rui has the right idea. Good healthy fats are good for you, piles of carbs and processed foods are not. And your body cant really deal with processed oils. I would say dont eat microwaves food tho.

Cheat day: better to do cheat meals than days.

I used to just get a lot of donuts and eat them all at once to get sick on purpose like once every two weeks then i wouldnt want to eat any junk food for another couple weeks.

It will be easier for your body do deal with one badmeal then a whole day of bad eating and it will still help you deal with those cravings.

Also if you only eat clean food at home then allow yourself to get a treat when you go out with your homies it will help so you wont feel deprived not eating anything when everyone around you is having unhealthy but brain chemically pleasurable food.

Oct 23, 2021 7:18 AM
suii

Dec 2018
just to try it once i decided to try and lose weight with just eating junk food, i lost like 5 kg just by counting calories. i also once kept away from potato chips for like 6 months, (well didnt buy it myself, but ate with others) but on a more serious note, just can still eat unhealthy food, its just the amount of it you have to be carefull about, when i excersized hard to lose weight i still ate some unhealthy food, just the amount i cut down and i had like a - every 3-4 hours time between each food or meal to eat something time-table

calorie counting still hasnt let go of me though, though since i lost the weight, from 105 kg to about 72- 65-60 kg (fluctuating between them) i went actually underweight, to 54 kg after being a normal weight for years, then i went normal weight again, and after that i became overweight again, 89 kg, and now im probably down 10+ kg from that
without much excersize.

there's really no way other than to eat less just the amount, if i had junk food i always calculated the calories, so i always knew i'd lose weight. but i always kept it to the weekends. excersize in my mind helped me cut down on the junk food, keep my mind off it and keep me motivated, (i just put on some anime song and i was ready to go lol https://youtu.be/kinW1Ytm1Zg) maybe it can help you, i dunno. the others have excellent advice aswell.
evangelionfanOct 23, 2021 9:12 AM
Oct 23, 2021 7:23 AM
May 2021
When I participated in one of the fitness smartphones and followed a strict diet, my coach and I talked about the fact that for a very long time I will have to limit myself and I may fail in terms of food. That's why we did chitmil once a week or once every two weeks.
Nov 14, 2021 4:16 AM
Nov 2021
Oh, I understand you perfectly. It is challenging to give up this unhealthy crane. It is delicious to eat pizza and burgers, but we must also think about our bodies. Many diets include delicious food, of course not fast food, but very delicious homemade food. Personally, it was still hard for me not to eat pizzas, burgers, tacos, but I found جدول كيتو دايت that includes a wide variety of food. At first, the first month was a little hard for me, but I got used to it, and I lost about 15 kg in a year. Try to keep this keto diet, and I hope it is effective in your case as well.

natiegNov 15, 2021 3:22 AM
Nov 14, 2021 5:39 AM

Nov 2021
NEET more, watch more anime and stay in house dont eat food or drink, every 2 days you go to mc donalds, u can still eat bad food but will still lose weight
Nov 14, 2021 10:23 AM
Jul 2018
A hard question to answer bud. I always struggle with that whenever I try to go on diets.
Nov 14, 2021 10:32 AM
Oct 2020
i try to cook the sweets myself if i want them. if you do it yourself you will use butter and not the disgusting transfats that they put in the supermarket stuff, you will also use way less sugar. i did a simple shortbread yesterday. the standard recipee is 1/6 sugar, 2/6 butter and 3/6 flour. if you buy supermarket cookies they sometimes have, not 1/6, but 3 times the amount of sugar.
Dec 14, 2021 9:03 PM

Nov 2019
I usually add many condiments to increase the flavor especially if its something bland like chicken breast or asparagus
Dec 15, 2021 1:38 AM

Aug 2015
I usually count my burn calories at the gym. when i do a 1 hour workout, i usually burn just under 400 calories. Then i cannot but help count the calories of what I am eating and compare that with the 1 hour workout. Once i do that, i tend not to chose to eat high calorie dense foods.

idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
Dec 15, 2021 6:30 AM

Jul 2021
Just dont ever think about food and keep watching anime during your diet.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Dec 16, 2021 11:09 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
TheBlockernator said:
I've had weight problems and poor eating habits my whole life, i thought i'd try dieting and i think i'm doing ok but whenever i can manage to eat healthy for a day, all i can think of is junk food.

Like Pizza and Burgers and Tacos. I feel hungry thinking about the stuff, despite eating enough normal, healthy food throughout the day.

How to stop thinking about bad food?
I've lost a lot of weight over the past year despite also having weight problems my whole life, so maybe I can help!
Though there's honestly a lot of good tips in this thread already: make healthy recipes at home, slowly transition to healthier options and a more active lifestyle, avoid soda, use healthier alternatives, get off the computer sometimes and move around with some casual activities, distract yourself with things other than food, lower your portions, eat more fruit, limit your junk food to maybe once a week, drink more water and eat complete meals... genuinely surprised by how helpful the forums have been this time around, great work everyone!

Now that I've basically summed up the past posts that I thought were helpful, here are some of my experiences from the past year.

Don't laugh at me here, but I highly recommend getting a fitness game.
Something like Wii Fit and Just Dance can actually encourage you to try and be more active, especially if you are more of a video gamer like several people are in these forums and the whole world (of course). I started my weight loss journey when someone got the family a Wii Balance board and a new-old-stock copy of Wii Fit U (yes, we actually do own a Wii U and still have and play on it). I'm sure @Craftys_List and @sewerslider can attest to how helpful and fun the Wii Fit games can be too.
When you get and start playing a Wii Fit game, the game will immediately encourage you to log your weight at roughly the same time of day every day and do at least 30 minutes' worth of daily exercise. Keeping a good idea of how much you weigh on a regular basis can really get you into the mindset of working on your physical health, and of course regular exercise can benefit to said health as it can keep your body fit and youthful instead of sluggish. Though keep in mind that exercise is actually not everything—I've found that my loss was more attributed to how I ate and lowered portions rather than how much I moved around; but moving around and being active can help burn off excess calories and build muscle, so of course it's still fairly important.

Something I've been doing for I believe 6+ years now was extremely limit visits to fast food joints to little to no times. I have not been to places to McDonald's for a long time, and as much as I love Five Guys burgers and fries, I go there so rarely that I legitimately can't remember the last time I went there. I do still go to restaurants, but even then those visits are mostly still special occasions like with family members. These days, I try to lower my food portions even on those special occasions; it can be really hard when we go out to some really damn good restaurants, but I do actually try to think about what stuff on the menu can I actually finish. (For example, I usually eat a plate of rice two or three times a day. I used to eat like 4 ladle spoons of rice, but I've managed to limit it to 2-3 spoons and that's been working fine.)
When I go outside by myself most of the time I don't even eat out at all, even though I'll be out for hours hunting for anime/manga/books to buy. When I do actually go eat out by myself, it's usually small places that don't really serve completely unhealthy food, like bubble tea places. I also try to actually walk distances to those places, even if they are fairly long walks and might take a while—hey, it's good exercise and it saves on subway swipe money.

And of course, someone already mentioned this, but just distract yourself with your hobbies for several hours. Like maybe just shitpost on the forums for a while, binge anime/games/manga/whatever, or do some productive hobby/job, and let the hours fly by. It's practically starving yourself, I know, but hey, you really don't (and shouldn't) need to think about food all the time. Just wait a while and then you can go eat again the moment you hear grumbling from your stomach.
Though at least drink some water. It can be difficult to drink 8 glasses of water a day, but somehow I've recently been managing to do that pretty easily. I don't drink water much after I'm finished eating for the day (oh yeah, make sure your last meal is at least 2 or 3 hours before bedtime, for example I make sure to stop eating by 10 or 11 pm), so I've been immediately drinking 4 cups of water in the morning. It does sometimes mean a lot of bathroom breaks, which is annoying, but at least you'll be hydrated for a while.
And make sure that you eat a bit more in the morning and gradually lower your portions as the day goes on, with much less in the night. You might go to bed soon after dinner, meaning you won't move around and therefore will not burn your calories much then as compared to earlier in the day. Not moving around and using up the calories you've just consumed will eventually turn into fat that your body will pocket for use later, so try not to eat so much then!

And... I guess that's about it. For now. Hope these all help!
Dec 16, 2021 3:47 PM

Dec 2021
you stop thinking about them when you lock yourself up in your room
Dec 17, 2021 11:29 AM

Oct 2019
Fario-P said:

Don't laugh at me here, but I highly recommend getting a fitness game.
Something like Wii Fit and Just Dance can actually encourage you to try and be more active, especially if you are more of a video gamer like several people are in these forums and the whole world (of course). I started my weight loss journey when someone got the family a Wii Balance board and a new-old-stock copy of Wii Fit U (yes, we actually do own a Wii U and still have and play on it). I'm sure @Craftys_List and @sewerslider can attest to how helpful and fun the Wii Fit games can be too.
When you get and start playing a Wii Fit game, the game will immediately encourage you to log your weight at roughly the same time of day every day and do at least 30 minutes' worth of daily exercise. Keeping a good idea of how much you weigh on a regular basis can really get you into the mindset of working on your physical health, and of course regular exercise can benefit to said health as it can keep your body fit and youthful instead of sluggish. Though keep in mind that exercise is actually not everything—I've found that my loss was more attributed to how I ate and lowered portions rather than how much I moved around; but moving around and being active can help burn off excess calories and build muscle, so of course it's still fairly important.

@sewerslider is banned rn, but I await their response.

I think fitness games can be great for weight loss and even to build some muscle, especially if it's as fun as the games you're used to playing so that you go on for quite sometime without getting bored, which is something I found was an obstacle with normal exercises. Although I think the main thing that helped me to lose weight was irl sports and eating healthier. I was a bit chubby like 5 years ago, but now not and I lost the weight pretty quickly.

I'd say try your best to not give into cravings, it gets easier the longer you ignore them so try to keep yourself distracted.
If you make your healthy food taste good it also makes it easy to give up the unhealthy stuff.

If you crave the chewing sensation from eating food, but it's not an appropriate time to eat... I want to recommend bubblegum, as it doesn't have that much calories and you can burn calories from chewing(although very very little), but it contains sugars or artificial sweeteners which aren't good for you, especially the latter + I think it'd make the cravings worse. So I think popcorn would be good, it's extremely low calories, healthy(as long as you make your own and make sure the toppings are healthy), easy to make and full of fiber.
Craftys_ListDec 17, 2021 11:34 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 23, 2021 8:11 AM
Feb 2020
I mentioned in my post above:

Your Body is always trying to do some thing.

Example;

Every second of every day, your body works to keep itself at the best temperature for every thing to work well.

For us humans that's normally 37.5 Degrees Celcius.

You may need to burn 30% more Calories in Winter in places with very cold winters than would be neccessary in hot or warm months.

(There are other times when your body may need to work harder to raise your temperature.... for example: when you're fighting a virus)

If you're in a cold house in a cold country and you are cold. You will probably feel hungry more often than if you were sitting in front of a nice hot fire or if there is some other source of indoor heating... and/ or if you have blankets and warm clothes.

For those of us who experienced cold weather when we were younger:

I bet we can all remember an adult politely encouraging us to put on something warm.
Dec 23, 2021 11:45 AM

Mar 2020
Watch videos about how tasty can be healthy foods, or watch videos of how damaging can junk food be to your body

"I wonder if anything will ever change? Will that day ever come?"
- Okazaki, Tomoya
"Nothing can stay unchanged. Fun things… Happy things…
They can’t possibly remain the same."
- Furukawa, Nagisa
Dec 23, 2021 3:32 PM
Jul 2018
You just keep eating food that's good for you and eventually it tastes a whole lot better than whatever unhealthy stuff you were eating pre-diet.
Dec 27, 2021 5:54 PM

Aug 2011
I used to have a hard time too but making food for myself helped. Also getting healthier alternatives. Seeing a dietician also helped because they gave me ways to snack on things but better. I love chocolate, and I started getting this one chocolate that used no artificial sugars. Idk if it helps in the grand scheme of things but it made me more aware of putting better things in me body.
desu desu binches
Dec 27, 2021 8:32 PM

Jun 2008
honestly its mostly all math if youre focused on losing weight.

you just need less caloric intake so you can still have some days of eating junk food, but have a limit on what youre eating the rest of the day
Dec 28, 2021 12:55 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Burgers and pizza are not necessarily junk food. Do not get too obsessed with dieting and healthy eating. As long as you are staying in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Eat high protein foods as they make you feel more full for longer periods.
Dec 31, 2021 9:47 AM

Nov 2021
Burgers and pizza are not necessarily junk food. Do not get too obsessed with dieting and healthy eating. As long as you are staying in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Eat high protein foods as they make you feel more full for longer periods.

More topics from this board

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

36 by Crawlie »»
59 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

677 by Crawlie »»
1 hour ago

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

25 by bevarnow »»
2 hours ago

» Are you going to apologize?

LenRea - Mar 25

26 by LoveYourEyes »»
2 hours ago

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

46 by Dracowyn »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.