Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 1, 2021 8:14 PM
Oct 2018
Hope we will never see that annoying panda anymore
Oct 1, 2021 8:17 PM

Dec 2015
Suzune was so hyped to get this day started she woke up 3 in the morning. Find the other girls to be likeable. Aside from Suzune I'm especially taking a liking to Nodaka from Hokkaido already. Hope to see more to them as the show goes on.

It's sad to see Suzune make that mistake after making it so far.

It's kinda like Idoly Pride except it doesn't use an AI. The Yells concept is interesting. Like American "Idol"? www. All lame jokes aside...

Warning spoiler for Idoly Pride incoming:

hai_X_isOct 2, 2021 6:32 AM
Oct 1, 2021 9:24 PM

Dec 2020
reminds me a bit of pd101 lol, but with less contestants ofc. last part with mc singing while also crying broke me damn
Oct 1, 2021 9:31 PM

Oct 2008
oh god this again!? give me a break! there's a lot more good shows this Fall 2021 season...but definitely NOT this one!...

Oct 1, 2021 9:40 PM
Aug 2019
This episode is amazing. The first impression of this show is the best possible. I cried together with the Suzune in the final
Oct 1, 2021 10:08 PM

Jun 2019
I like the art on this anime, and the music so far is pretty good.
Oct 1, 2021 11:16 PM

Oct 2016
That was a really good start! Only the first episode and I am already feeling p a i n. Really rooting for Suzune, though I do like the Seira, but she obviously wanted Suzune to win. Seira is also not in the promotional materials or anything, so Suzune will definitely be brought back into the competition, the only question is how. The most probable answer is Seira gives her spot to Suzune.

Kinki area... heh. Overall, really enjoyed it and looking forward for more.
Oct 1, 2021 11:33 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
sorry for being 12 years old but, kinki block. lol

haven't really watched an idol anime through before, so not exactly sure what to expect. We are bombarded with several characters at once, so it kind of made everything feel empty, shallow, and meaningless. The end of this however, brought a little bit of life into this when who is I guess our main character doesn't in fact win in her block. That makes it interesting enough and hopefully it will stay this way throughout the series, as I've dropped a couple idol anime in the past. Maybe this one will be good enough to finish.

Wasn't even planning to watch this, didn't even know it existed since it's like near the bottom of the seasonal anime list here on mal, but it was there on 9anime and it looked decent and I gave the first episode a chance, and here we are. Gonna drop it the second I see some cgi though lol

NYANPASU
5700XT

Oct 2, 2021 12:20 AM

Oct 2018
That was a lot of characters introduced that I doubt I'm going to care about by the end

Oct 2, 2021 12:39 AM

Aug 2020
The animation and the song were both so good. I can't wait for the second episode. I got legit goosebumps when I was listening to the song

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Oct 2, 2021 12:49 AM

Aug 2013
I don't remember the last time when I heard so uninspiring and boring music in music anime series. I mean, everthing looks good, girls are interesting but music is just straight terrible. I'm talking about thier songs not background music.
Almost all music series composers are trying do something interesting with composition and arrangement. Not here.
Ashhk said:
It really feels like Idoly Pride

Except the songs, that are pretty much the opposite of Idoly Pride.
rsc-plOct 2, 2021 2:04 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 2, 2021 1:06 AM

Apr 2020
SEASONAL ANIME COMEBACK FOR ME! So the show that made me come back to the weekly grind is....an idol show....eh better than not being active for 6 months.

A national idol game show or (as we call it) a tournament arc is a cool idea. I'm sure idol connoisseurs have seen it before, but for a beginner like me, I think this idea is lit. And it's a Doga Kobo original so I expect that it looks cute.

Our 9 main girls is obviously at the forefront. And Suzune being the true main girl has an interesting reason why she signed up for this Selection Project. Sad that their first idol Akara passed away, and it's Saori Hayami voicing her too ugh, would have loved to hear her more. I think the designs are nice, and ofc each girl has her tro- I mean "distinction" from the crowd. That girl from Tokyo area (Rena) is like a mixture of Mei Aihara and Mai Sakurajima, which are both girls that I really love, HELL YES.

Suzune tripped...well didn't expect that coming (lol). And those votes were oh so close, but gotta give it to the blondie, I'm sure she'll love being at the top. But once again, kinda sad for Suzune to lose that close, that song meant so much for her. And lastly, I appreciate the thing they did where instead of hearing her cry, they take the shot away far from her back and let the episode fades out, you gotta make note of that y'know.

Nice first episode, I hope this will be better than last year's Ochikobore Fruit Tart, and I guess let's see how this progress.
Oct 2, 2021 1:41 AM
Dec 2019
There's 2 main reasons why I'm going to watch it.
1. It feels like Idoly Pride. The characters look very similar and I think it's inspired from that one. Idoly Pride is my favourite Idol anime so I've high hopes from this one. Hope this one also pulls out something unexpected like Idoly Pride did.
2. It's an original from "Doga Kobo" studio. This studio has a great history with their original's. Both "Plastic memories" and "Tada never falls in love" are top-tier stuffs. So I'm looking forward to this one too. 🤗
Oct 2, 2021 2:11 AM

Oct 2019
Just cried a bit🥲
Oct 2, 2021 2:34 AM

Apr 2020
hai_X_is said:
Speaking of Idoly Pride, I really hope that this isn't another "I got a heart donation from someone important to the plot" plot twist.

First of all, bit of a spoil there for me, but eh I never got to watch IP again ever since Ep 1 came out. And second, now that I think about it.....yeah we kinda called it.
Oct 2, 2021 6:10 AM

Jul 2021
Actually loved this first episode, and a good return for me to get back into idol/music type animes. I loved the details on the scenery, and the graphics they used in the voting scenes were cute.

One big thing I noticed was there were plenty of atmospheric sounds, such as when characters were drinking water or putting lipstick on. I've never seen an anime that has had the sounds for every little bit and that really impressed me.

As for the characters, like someone else said why would they introduce all 9 at once, and whilst I also thought 'why would they do that?' I quite liked it, especially the part where we could hear all 9 characters singing the song at the same time. It's very clear from the first episode they all have very different personalities, backgrounds, upbringings and so far I think this will be a good anime.

Also I just wanna know what's happening with Seira, cause it's obvious that Suzune is gonna end up being the representative and Seira isn't even on the cover of the anime so what's gonna happen with her?
Oct 2, 2021 6:29 AM

Dec 2015
Idoly Pride spoiler below.

raiderublaze said:

First of all, bit of a spoil there for me, but eh I never got to watch IP again ever since Ep 1 came out. And second, now that I think about it.....yeah we kinda called it.

Sorry about that. I'll go and add a spoiler tag so others don't have the same fate.
hai_X_isOct 2, 2021 7:03 PM
Oct 2, 2021 9:54 AM

Dec 2016
As someone that loves Idol shows, I gotta say this was pretty mediocre to just average at best. Never been a fan of dumping a huge cast in the very first episode.

I'm still optimistic and waiting to see where this post selection stage with our main character being eliminated goes to.
Oct 2, 2021 10:18 AM

Sep 2015
Lmao, Idoly Pride copy pasta. MC got health issue? Check. Famous idol died due to car accident? Check.

At least this main group is not randomly scouted out of nowhere. The only downside is the popularity vote. This trash system ain’t gonna work IRL without being rigged. Might as well copy the AI system from Idoly Pride. At least it’s a fairer system.
Truth is absolute but human perception of truth is always relative.
Oct 2, 2021 12:44 PM

Apr 2018
Pretty good first episode seems like this will be similar to The Voice where each episode an idol will get kicked out. And the maingirl's health will affect her a lot. Every girl has your typical personality but alright. Looking forward for more.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Oct 2, 2021 10:26 PM
Jun 2021
Beautiful animation & binding episode amazing
Oct 2, 2021 11:32 PM

Jun 2016
Interesting opening episode, starting midway through the project's process.

I'm a bit wary of the giant cast of characters. Hopefully, they get decent screentime to be fleshed out a bit. The main girl Suzune seems like a sweet girl with some sorta health issue, which I hope they explain soon.

The character design for Shiori is almost too perfect. Possible best girl right there for me, lol.

Oct 3, 2021 10:47 AM

Oct 2017
They cropped the other two from their prefecture out of the recording lmao. Instead of all 4, they only showed 2 in some. They're cutting those two out a lot. xD
Oct 3, 2021 11:06 AM

Mar 2015
Suzune absolutely broke my heart breaking down as the episode ended. She held it together so long and wholeheartedly congratulated Seira, who could sense the sadness within Her.

We'll get em next time! <3
𝓙𝓾𝓼𝓽 𝓪𝓷 𝓞𝓽𝓪𝓴𝓾 𝓯𝓻𝓸𝓶 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓢𝓽𝓲𝓬𝓴𝓼. 𝓦𝓪𝓽𝓬𝓱𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓐𝓷𝓲𝓶𝓮 𝓱𝓪𝓼 𝓴𝓲𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓫𝓮𝓬𝓸𝓶𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓪𝔂 𝓸𝓯 𝓛𝓲𝓯𝓮 𝓪𝓽 𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓼 𝓹𝓸𝓲𝓷𝓽.

"ℍ𝕒𝕧𝕖 𝕒 𝔾𝕠𝕠𝕕 𝔻𝕒𝕪!" - 𝕂𝕖𝕧𝕚𝕟 𝕊𝕥𝕣𝕒𝕙𝕝𝕖; 𝕃𝔸 𝔹𝕖𝕒𝕤𝕥
Oct 3, 2021 4:26 PM
Aug 2021
i love this anime so much
Oct 3, 2021 7:43 PM
Aug 2019
It really reminded me of Idoly Pride lol. I loved the song quite a lot, too. Right now the characters that interest me the most is the protagonist, her design is so gorgeous!!! I'm curious of how will she end in the group
Oct 5, 2021 2:27 AM

Apr 2011
Its kinda Idoly Pride where the first idol passed away.

Sucks that Suzune lost because she felt dizzy and dropped. I dunno if its from nervousness or her health as she's sickly during her childhood.

I'm interested in this I dunno if I should continue or not since I still have to finish Idoly Pride and Love Live Nijigasaki Gakuen.
Oct 5, 2021 6:48 AM

Aug 2020
Look i want to like it , i really do . But you gotta admit they did a really bad job at hooking a person onto this series without them having extremely forgiving standards . 17 mins they took to introduce all the characters , 90% of them then being completely ignored and possibly will be for the rest of the anime . the pacing was really god awful . And maybe it was just me , but something about the sound directing felt really off . And for an idol anime , we got one song , and even that not fully completed .

The animation and art directing wasnt bad , in fact i looked at it again and the animation was actually very consistent . but all that is being wasted at this rate .
Oct 5, 2021 11:24 AM

Jan 2019
What a boring first episode. Why the hell did anyone think it would be a good idea to fill only 10% of the episode with the anime and 90% with the fictional reality show? I want to see the girls, not the damn show. It took up almost the entire time of the episode and that didn't give the anime time to do the least bit, which would be to give the audience some reason to care about some characters.
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every single time."
Oct 5, 2021 12:24 PM

Apr 2017
It's literally the anime version of The Voice xDD I really liked that episdoe, the girls were really cute. But the ending was really sad :( but I think it will not be the last time we will see her. Can't wait for the next episodes!
Oct 6, 2021 3:42 AM

Nov 2012
Good start, but the english is so forced and cringe man, until now I came to realize how jpn use it just to look "cool"

My Candies:

Oct 6, 2021 6:26 AM

Oct 2007
the singing is so short and the drama is plenty.. it feels toxic.
I generally avoid drama shows, and was caught by surprise by this (did not know it was drama)..

well, those things aside going to stick around for a few more... interested to see what happens to Suzune.

Liddo-kunOct 6, 2021 6:44 AM
Oct 6, 2021 8:44 AM

Dec 2018
This was horrible overall. I hate drama and to much rivalry in Idols. and I watch idols because I like the cute ""girls"" this have way to many males in it for my taste

To many characters introduced to quickly, and other problems

But there were some aspects I like. The animation was great . And there were some cute Yuri vibes between the idols

I usually love anime from Doga Kobo. I consider them to be one of the best studios. And only for that I am not dropping this yet, and hopefully I will enjoy the next episode

Yuri-CrusaderOct 6, 2021 8:48 AM
Oct 6, 2021 9:50 AM

Sep 2009
Arzetya said:
there is an absurd plot twist that is "Lack of one supporter"

Could you elaborate a bit on that? You might be onto something.
lizzziziz said:
reminds me a bit of pd101

Never heard of it before. I looked it up and...
kyou_on said:
The only downside is the popularity vote. This trash system ain’t gonna work IRL without being rigged.

That is exactly what happened with Produce 101: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnet_vote_manipulation_investigation

The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
Oct 6, 2021 10:26 PM

Dec 2020
Kikoman589 said:
Arzetya said:
there is an absurd plot twist that is "Lack of one supporter"

Could you elaborate a bit on that? You might be onto something.
lizzziziz said:
reminds me a bit of pd101

Never heard of it before. I looked it up and...
kyou_on said:
The only downside is the popularity vote. This trash system ain’t gonna work IRL without being rigged.

That is exactly what happened with Produce 101: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnet_vote_manipulation_investigation

yepp lmao the latest group from that show even got disbanded bc of that even after they already debuted. feelsbadman
Oct 6, 2021 10:37 PM

Jan 2016
so... this episode... episode 1 is counted as episode 0?

From the hospital bed, and then the next scene is the last audition for each block before the final. Then she lost that last audition.

And others are like an introduction for each main character who success in the last audition...

So I'm waiting for the next episode to see what happens to that failed girl, is she focused main character or not...?
Yay!
Oct 7, 2021 10:39 AM

Nov 2015
Ah yes~ that usual moments when the winner will decide to quit because she think the other person deserve to win. Not the most bullshit reason I ever know, but anyways... it's been a while after the last time I watch idol anime a few years ago.

Hopefully this can stay consistent at minimum.
Oct 7, 2021 11:06 AM

Nov 2015
Short_Circut said:

but that ending with how MC didn't end up making the finals makes me wonder what kind of direction this series will go. Will it go the shitty love live, idolmaster etc. route (most probably) or will it actually end up being amazing like idolish7? Or maybe it just says fuk it and go the abomination 22/7 route lmao

Which Idolmaster though? 765 (2011), or 346 (2015), or both?

I really love 765, but I don't want to touch that 346. From a few clips of 346 important moments on Youtube, I have a guess that 346 lacks a lot of things that make me love 765. So I won't waste my time to watch 346 (Most of 346 doujin are better though :D).
As for Love Live, no comment.
Oct 7, 2021 12:21 PM

Jul 2017
Yuvensius said:
Short_Circut said:

but that ending with how MC didn't end up making the finals makes me wonder what kind of direction this series will go. Will it go the shitty love live, idolmaster etc. route (most probably) or will it actually end up being amazing like idolish7? Or maybe it just says fuk it and go the abomination 22/7 route lmao

Which Idolmaster though? 765 (2011), or 346 (2015), or both?

I really love 765, but I don't want to touch that 346. From a few clips of 346 important moments on Youtube, I have a guess that 346 lacks a lot of things that make me love 765. So I won't waste my time to watch 346 (Most of 346 doujin are better though :D).
As for Love Live, no comment.

765. SideM and Cinderella Girls (at least the 1st season) weren't too bad but 765 was something else alright. At least from what I remember
Oct 7, 2021 12:50 PM

May 2009
Same shit like Idoly Pride minus guy manager and ghost idol. Waste of Dogakobo
Oct 7, 2021 6:46 PM

Jan 2011
idoly Pride but it's DOGA!
i liked it i was hoping it wasn't gonna be idols but just like singers musicians but i'll take it

funny to see it is the Rent a girlfriend char designer they looked so much like them
Oct 8, 2021 6:00 AM

Feb 2018
Just want to say what the heck with the winner contest? ahhh shit... thats hurt, lets watch eps 2
Oct 8, 2021 11:40 AM

Nov 2015
Short_Circut said:

765. SideM and Cinderella Girls (at least the 1st season) weren't too bad but 765 was something else alright. At least from what I remember

Hooh, interesting... you include SideM too huh? Sadly I didn't watch any male idol anime, so I can't comment on that.
About 765 being "something else", in good way or bad way?
Oct 8, 2021 2:15 PM

Jul 2017
Yuvensius said:
Short_Circut said:

Hooh, interesting... you include SideM too huh? Sadly I didn't watch any male idol anime, so I can't comment on that.
About 765 being "something else", in good way or bad way?

well obviously bad way else I wouldn't have mentioned it in the first place :P
Oct 12, 2021 7:46 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Alright, folks, finally i decide to jump into the idol rabbit hole show for once again. Man, i am not even starting the previous season Love Live, but here i am using an excuse to start another idol show. How silly of me!

Since there's already too much mention about an obvious one, i am trying to make something new on my writing. However, looks like i can't, so i will make this simple: bruh, is this a dejavu shit or what?

Tbh, this is not the strongest stand of premiere i've ever watch this season, especially this is the idol show. That twist of mc in the end kinda caught off guard me a little. Though, there must be something convenience happen to make everything easy for that girl that comes back from her youth sickness to comes back again to the stage. Still, idk why but keep my positivity in a good stand, cause, y'know, this is Doga Kobo, and this is an idol show.

So, hopefully the later episode can attract me more with their characters dynamics. Because, looks like the story plot kinda lacking my interest here with a certain generic drive and another else similarities. Lets prove me wrong next....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Oct 13, 2021 11:29 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Not a bad episode.

I'm usually the first to say an anime has too many characters, but I actually didn't think the amount of characters introduced was too bad. I don't even think they were introduced too quickly or in an out of place way. It all made sense and flowed with the story well enough. This was easier to take since each character is already connected to a region in Japan. They kinda just give you a brief glimpse to garner a little interest, but they don't go into some wild, deep backstory for each or anything.

I see a lot of people mentioning Idoly Pride, but despite some of the similarities, I'm actually not really getting the same vibe. Something about Selection Project feels a lot lighter and kinda even feels like it might go in some different direction. Heck, I feel like a large part of Idoly Pride's tone was set by the weight of how the characters were connected and so far we don't have that at all here. Now if we get some ghost stuff then yes, totally Idoly Pride, but for now I'm really only seeing similar props but not the same scene.

I find myself humming the song. It was a little song you might hear from a amateur (perhaps overseas) idol without many funds but just enough to make a decent song that doesn't sound bad. I'm not sure if that was intentional since these are, indeed, amateur idols-- if even that. Plus, I'm not sure if the idol who died was given a song from the project or brought her own. I'll have to hear the rest of the music in the show is, but it makes sense to have it simple at this point. They're not exactly idols yet and they're just testing them.

MEANWHILE, I'm actually rooting for Seira more than Suzune here. I really like Seira's style and I love her stage confidence, her personality, and everything. She's really selling herself short and blah with that "but Suzune has a strong voice" stuff. I'm not seeing Seira on the promotional materials and in that montage with all the winning girls, Seira ain't there. Don't rob Seira, please. She's actually a really sweet and supportive girl it seems. Please do the right thing, Doga Kobo. Do the right thing. Seira won fair and square and deserves her spot just as much as anyone else.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Oct 15, 2021 6:08 PM
Playing Violet

Jun 2017
Nov 2, 2021 6:08 PM

Jun 2009
I can't believe the first episode of an idol anime made me cry.
Nov 6, 2021 10:27 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
Major Produce 48 energy from the get go-- from the logo in the top left corner to Suzuna having a very Yena level childhood. But also a girl being named Mako...and thinking of NiziU. I know I'm drawing too many connections but...curious on if the similarities will help or make it worse.
Dec 27, 2021 2:03 PM

Mar 2018
Not even gonna lie, I was nervous right alongside her. It was
such a tragedy she couldn't finish her song.

Final scene on the bridge ;,(
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» A quick question about the “Mixed Media” description for the “Source” field

RudeRedis - Aug 17, 2023

1 by ItsukaShido16 »»
Aug 18, 2023 1:04 AM

Poll: » Selection Project Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Oct 8, 2021

53 by KOLDEET »»
Jun 2, 2023 7:41 PM

Poll: » Idoly Pride vs Selection Project

Kanishq42069 - Dec 24, 2021

12 by Gvendoline »»
Mar 8, 2023 4:29 AM

Poll: » Selection Project Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Dec 24, 2021

55 by Gvendoline »»
Mar 7, 2023 4:14 PM

Poll: » Selection Project Episode 12 Discussion

KANLen09 - Dec 17, 2021

34 by Gvendoline »»
Mar 5, 2023 1:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.