Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Case Study of Vanitas
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 3, 2021 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Jesus Christ, this Moreau guy is insane lol. Probably the strangest characters in the entire show, which is saying a lot considering the character cast.

Tbh, I think Vanitas and Noe made a surprisingly good team together. At least they were on the same page to deal with that freak. I like how they still managed to squeeze in some comedic moments into this episode though.
Sep 3, 2021 9:37 AM

Jul 2020
What an episode, thought vantias would be the weirdest guy in this anime but then we got this. End credits scene was intersting, decent bit of set up to say the least
Check out my channel @Criticiza on Youtube to watch my vids ;)

Sep 3, 2021 9:54 AM

Jul 2017
Yeah sure, Vanitas is Dr. Moreau's No. 69 HEH.

The illusive yet dramatically comical vampire doctor with the cunning human who has to play the fiddle of intersection, what a strange doctor whom escaped death at the thinnest thread and used Vanitas as his guinea pig for as long as he liked it to appease his interests.

And that's where it all links: Monsieur Spider, Charlatan and Naenia. The No. 71 that Moreau speaks of...Vanitas's "father" and "big brother"(?) trapped within the malnomen: Predateur "Shadow" which Vanitas, Noe and the Chasseurs all worked together to defeat internally and externally. I'd swear that the action kinda resembles a subpar Demon Slayer (with Roland being the obvious comedic Zenitsu character, even with the yellow hair), it gives me similar vibes. To think that Vantias and Noe's union leaves him amazed, I'm looking forward to more of Roland's antics.

The life of healing curse-bearers for Vanitas willl be increasingly burdened as time goes on, and it's clear that he needs a support deep down and his own salvation. And the enemy's real deal now is dealing with the vampire himself, Noe.
Sep 3, 2021 10:08 AM

Jun 2019
The scientist Moreau is a psycho as I thought from his personality and he wants to become a vampire himself. And, the things he did to Vanitas when he was his subject. Noe protecting Vanitas was not a surprise but I liked it either way. But, Monsieur Spider wasted no time getting there and saving the doctor.

Even vanitas has mysteries as I assumed belonging to Subject No. 71. Once again, Vanitas and Noe make a great duo when they work together like in this episode against that Shadow thingy. Roland is a nice guy.
Sep 3, 2021 10:20 AM
Feb 2021
Dr Moreau is a sadistic being. I felt for Vanitas this entire episode. The sheer will power he had to use just to sit there must have had his blood boiling. Noe my hero! I would've done the exact same thing. This episode was great. I loved it.
Sep 3, 2021 10:36 AM
Apr 2021
I've read the manga so I knew what would happen BUT I SWEAR I'VE NEVER FELT A STORNGER NEED TO KILL A FICTIONAL CHARACTER
MOREAU THAT SICK BASTARD

also Olivier is hot
Sep 3, 2021 11:22 AM

Jan 2021
Damn, Vanitas' willpower to be able to endure and pretend in front of the person who caused him so much suffering is admirable

And in the end it was all related...
Number 71, I guess they'll explain it to us, but it's not going to be easy for Vanitas

I really like Roland in the end, heheh
Very nice, excellent EP as always
Sep 3, 2021 11:32 AM
Sep 2015
What a twist! Not at the ending, but the fact that Roland already has a significant other, Olivier!
Sep 3, 2021 11:57 AM

Jul 2017
y'know that whole lab thing reminds me a lot about Kanou's lab raid in TG, even the scientists having similar viewpoints (that humans are inferior) and the presence of some abomination

though I guess TG's case ended with the character getting depressed whereas in this case Vantias seems to be more saved

also dayum that plot twist at the end lol, ngl thought sensei was gonna be the evil mastermind behind it all
Sep 3, 2021 12:11 PM

Apr 2018
The way I love Roland--

Also the soundtrack when Dr Moreau first lost it was amazing, big danganronpa-but-french vibes
Sep 3, 2021 12:40 PM
Feb 2021
Idk why but I feel like Noé is number 71, even though I’m most likely wrong.
Sep 3, 2021 12:48 PM

May 2020
That doctor gave me creeps with the way he was talking, and all those things about the past of Vanitas are coming into light now.

Roland was as good as he is always, then that ending. Surely a solid episode.
Softhenic03Dec 4, 2021 1:51 AM
Sep 3, 2021 1:34 PM

Sep 2015
This episode was great! I especially liked the scene of Noé and Vanitas sitting together at the end. It truly showed that Vanitas can let his guard down around Noé, which speaks volumes about their relationship to each other.

Then there's Roland... I loved his reactions. Honestly, the only thing I noticed was missing was
(Spoiler tagging it in the unlikely case it gets brought up later). It would have definitely served to flesh out Roland even more.

All in all, I loved it. I'm also looking forward to the next two episodes... and the whole of Cour 2 for that matter. It will be very interesting.
Sep 3, 2021 1:36 PM
Mar 2021
This is the first time I saw Vanitas is so vulnerable to the point he can't even move after Moreau talk about No. 71.

Vanitas is the one who need salvation the most, I wonder if in the end of story he will get that salvation.

I already want to see Roland again even if they just separate way :( And Olivier appear with Tomoaki Maeno's voice!! I can't wait to see both of them more
Sep 3, 2021 1:36 PM

Nov 2019
"That person" 's voice at the beginning of the episode was glorious. Who's the seiyuu?
Moreau, the a**hole escaped, but we got shortest glimpses of the inhuman torture Vanitas had to go through. His insecurities, the mask he puts on, and a crippled means of just trying to get motivated to stay alive are shown. Also hints of him accepting Noé as a friend he never thought to have deserved so far. Roland with his peak philosophy of life. Take that, church bad trope!
Something felt rushed, but I dunno. Things will really gonna get real hot now!

There's a post credits scene. Decent baddie reveal. But it's not totally about who. It's about "why".
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Sep 3, 2021 2:20 PM

Apr 2010
I was hoping they could get more flashbacks in this episode but I still enjoyed it :)
Forever hold this heart that I will give to you
Forever I will live for you
Sep 3, 2021 2:27 PM

Apr 2018
Dr.Moreau only cares about his research on vampires and the rest doesn't really matter to him. Seems like he's connected to Charlatan and the rest. They managed to slip out, alive and well. The Chasseurs will be helping Vanitas and Noé for a bit. Things are getting interesting. A bit more of Vanitas' past, disturbing as hell.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Sep 3, 2021 2:49 PM
Sep 2020
Roland at the end made it 100x better lol
Sep 3, 2021 2:50 PM

Aug 2021
After today's episode, I made sure that we don't know anything about Vanitas.
And the most shocking scene is that Ruthven and Charlatan are allies... That's really something unexpected.

Notice : There's a scene after the ending song, watch it.
tazountiSep 3, 2021 2:53 PM

Sep 3, 2021 3:02 PM

May 2021
Nobody said "Nice" when the doctor kept calling Vanitas 69 o_O

Sep 3, 2021 3:44 PM

May 2020
I'm just here to say I love Roland.

My cat is named Roland because of The Dark Tower so every time his name comes up in this show I think of my cat haha.
Sep 3, 2021 4:20 PM

Mar 2016
My favourite arc just ended. I am glad they didn't mess this one like they'd done with the previous arcs.

Vanitas should clearly have PTSD. I hope they explore it a bit more later. (I have almost completely forgotten what happens after this arc in the manga. I just remember some panels. lol)

I think Roland and Noe can be really wholesome friends.

Who's the long-hired guy? I don't remember him at all! The conversation that Roland has with him, I thought he had it with the woman who looks like Ellen DeGeneres. lol
Sep 3, 2021 4:39 PM

Oct 2019
A much better episode than the last one IMO. It wasn’t as rushed, and I really liked that they finally adapted that flashback scene at the beginning of the episode. Great stuff! My faith in this adaptation is restored fully.
Pandora Hearts is the best manga ever made and deserves an anime reboot
Sep 3, 2021 4:47 PM

Apr 2020
Laplace_kun said:
"That person" 's voice at the beginning of the episode was glorious. Who's the seiyuu?
The seiyuu is Romi Park.
Sep 3, 2021 4:54 PM
Jul 2020
I liked the adaptation of this episode much more than the previous one, even if they cut out a few scenes (eh, they should have added 5 seconds to the scene with the plan or rescuing Noé Maria from the Shadow (...) However, they managed to keep the mood of these chapters. wildly sad, after what our main characters had to experience that night in the catacombs and lyrical. I notice a certain censorship of Moro's laboratory, there is no blood on the table, no torture chair ..
I don't really like Moro's voice acting and his drawing, in the manga he produced a more eerie impression, but here I personally do not have enough either deep emotions from the seiyuu, or a more human drawing of his face, he looks more like a puppet in anime than a person, because of this he does not scare.
my favorite chapters, not counting 53, I would like them to be given 2 episodes, not 1, but it turned out quite well. for some reason, in the comments he is perceived as a fool, although in the manga his intelligence and caution may be more noticeable (at least the way he played along with Vanitas and was the first to assess the situation).

I obviously imagined the voice of the moon differently, softer and more gentle, but I must give it credit, it sounds quite androgynous, which may be a plus.

The boys at the end, sitting back to back are the best moment, after these chapters I was finally imbued with the work.

P.S. after this episode I want to take Vani on handles, and bang Moreau...
Sep 3, 2021 5:16 PM

Jul 2013
Dream team Vanitas and Noe took down The Shadow monster.

It's cute how much of a fanboy Roland is. And indeed Olivier is handsome.

The after credits scene with Ruthven: shady vampire is shady.
Sep 3, 2021 5:27 PM

Apr 2015
Doctor Moreau is one crazy dude, entertaining watch though. If those experiments are true, which they are as Vanitas suffered flashes of PTSD, that a horrible way to be experimented on. No wonder Vanitas wants to kill the guy with his own hands.

Roland really does love the friendship he has with both Vanitas and Noe. They showed him a new world where a human and vampire can laugh and enjoy life together. He might become a really important and capable ally to them in the future.

Ruthven was shady after all, something felt off about him from the start.
Sep 3, 2021 5:38 PM
Jul 2018
Vanitas and other vampires were keeping an eye on the eyes of the people around him and there are a lot of Vampire eyes that that man collected.
Sep 3, 2021 6:57 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
This episode went on a surprisingly dark way for the "hehe funny number" title. I like the balance it has between the more tragic scenes and the comedic ones. Maybe I should rewatch some of the previous episodes to gather on the different details that on time seem to have become relevant.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Sep 3, 2021 8:18 PM

Jun 2019
I really liked how they subtly showed Vanitas’s hatred towards the doctor while he put on a front and acted to gain information. The tension right before Noe stood up for Vanitas was very well done.

The shadow thing was not handled as well. They beat it by jumping in its mouth and opening the book I guess? Pretty anticlimactic and having the characters acknowledge how it makes no sense that they’re alive doesn’t change that fact.
Sep 3, 2021 8:22 PM

Jun 2021
Fight scene was cool
Didn't care for the rest
Sep 3, 2021 8:43 PM

Jun 2014
Damn that doctor is a massive piece of shit, it's amazing that Vanitas was able to maintain his composure while he was saying all that ridiculous stuff.

Interesting post-ED scene with Ruthven.....
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 3, 2021 10:37 PM

Apr 2015
Great episode! That doctor is certainly quite eccentric yet incredibly annoying at the same time. The tension was real when he was reaching out to gouge Vanitas's eye out. Of course Noe stopped him before he could do anything, but it's pretty sad how Vanitas was probably going to let the doctor actually do it without even flinching. I really like how the show is slowly revealing Vanitas's past one piece at a time. This mysterious "71" brother is certainly going to become a relevant character in the future, I hope we'll be able to meet him soon.

Wasn't really invested in the fighting since it's another typical scene where the power duo somehow succeeded by going at it from the inside, but it served its purpose and the aftermath was heartwarming. The hug with Vanitas, Noe, and Roland is reminiscent of certain scenes in PH...I hope Roland would make his appearance again soon, I already like his character quite a bit. Aaaaand of course, the one OP dude turns out to be an enemy (?).

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Sep 4, 2021 2:42 AM
Nov 2020
I love how this show slowly reveals things and keeps me wanting more. Vanitas backstory is so dark and who is number 71. Can’t wait to see the next episode
Sep 4, 2021 3:34 AM

Oct 2017
Pretty cool episode with good action. We got a glimpse of the vampire of the blue moon and Vanitas' backstory. Really made me curious to know more about it. Also wait what? So Ruthven was behind this? Woa.
Sep 4, 2021 7:16 AM

Oct 2016
They really nailed how much of a crazy bitch Dr. Moreau is, made me hate him even more, good shit. Really great episode! As always they cut some stuff, but nothing really super important. Now that this arc is over, we can now all collectively love Roland. Good to see Olivier now in anime form as well. Can't wait for the next episode.
Sep 4, 2021 8:55 AM

Apr 2020
Blue Moon (Dad? Mom?) little brother N71 & a person behind the shadow (after ending :D)
Sep 4, 2021 11:15 AM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
Good guy Roland. Also nice to see a weak side from Vanitas for once.

smoochie smoochie

Sep 4, 2021 12:44 PM

Mar 2017
With this small piece of Vanitas’s past revealed it makes me think that saving the vampires is some kind attempt at atonement for him, maybe for the kid who was saved alongside him. I feel like the more we learn about Vanitas the more I need to know about him.

I can’t describe how much I love Roland; he’s willingness to change according to what he observes is such a rare trait in characters and I like that he’s not afraid to admit that his views might be wrong and adapt to new ideas.
Sep 4, 2021 9:59 PM

Sep 2018
Still waiting for this show to "blow my mind". The way this show amplifies certain tropes, it's a bit much.... Still, pretty solid so far.
Sep 4, 2021 11:36 PM

Oct 2008
crazy mad scientist Moreau has really lost it especially when it comes to vamps! damn beyond insane!
5/5.

Sep 5, 2021 12:33 AM
Nov 2018
MuZe- said:
Nobody said "Nice" when the doctor kept calling Vanitas 69 o_O

Yeah for some reason laughed when the dr called vanitas No.69 tbh xD
Sep 5, 2021 6:02 AM

Jun 2020
Roland lol

Noé is so fucking cute that everyone loves him.

Wtf @ the after-credits scene. RUTHVEN YOURE HOT BUT DONT CHU HURT NOÉ

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Sep 5, 2021 10:27 AM
Nov 2020
Vanitas backstory is really dark this episode barely scratched the surface.
Sep 5, 2021 3:13 PM

Nov 2011
Wow...that after credits scene...what a sack of shit!!!
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Sep 6, 2021 10:19 PM

Jul 2016
Pretty nice episode overall. Was honestly expecting Vanitas' past to be fully explored but we only got a brief glimpse of it. Wonder if we will learn more about Number 71 before this cour ends.

On the other hand, last scene with Vanitas leaning on Noé's back while letting his guard down was nicely handled.

And that post-credits scene tho... Ruthven's acting sus.
Sep 8, 2021 8:22 AM

Mar 2020
My fav episode so far after 5. Everything was handeled well. ALso why is no one talking about that vanitas and noe scene(Best part imo)
Personally i love how they dont make a huge deal of something they face and come up with resonable solutions and everything in this case with the shadow until unless its actually dangerous not with in their bounds.
Also the flash backs were handeled extremly well with addition to I am a docter scene.
ALso Noe s smile was a chefs kiss
Sep 8, 2021 8:23 AM

Mar 2020
Nurularifin said:
Vanitas backstory is really dark this episode barely scratched the surface.
You got that right.(still its not fully revealed in the manga but my man went through alot)
Sep 8, 2021 8:23 AM

Jul 2015
roland is me everytime i see noe and vanitas together
Sep 10, 2021 4:46 PM

Jul 2019
Wow, that was something. Dr Something something sure is a wacky guy, he is kinda like Vanitas only more fucked in the head.

Nice tag team at the end with the duo, leading to that nice ending to spare :D
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2021

126 by nikki05 »»
Apr 15, 10:30 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2021

242 by Sasutaschi »»
Apr 6, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2021

158 by wallus81 »»
Mar 25, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2021

148 by wallus81 »»
Mar 24, 12:54 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Carte Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2021

350 by wallus81 »»
Mar 18, 4:24 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.