Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Case Study of Vanitas
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 13, 2021 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Jeanne just can't resist biting into Vanitas LOL

This show still loves its dancing and music at big halls. It also loves to sell Vanitas' personality in the most entertaining way possible. On the other hand, there's more vulnerability shown in Domi's character. I still like how her relationship with Noe is protrayed in the showed though.
Aug 13, 2021 9:09 AM
Feb 2021
Bisexuals - the episode
It's perfect, they adapted this so well
Aug 13, 2021 9:38 AM
Sep 2020
Jeanne really is something... idk I might drop this anime, I love Jun and all her works, I’m a really huge fan but the anime is VERYY boring for some reason, but I wanna support Jun so I’ll try to watch as much, just for her. (Maybe a burnout?) Also I wanna see Chloe
Aug 13, 2021 9:56 AM

Jul 2017
The troubles are over or now, and Noe settles into the Atlus Paris life, starting with the delectable Tarte Tatin.

Of course, he has questions over the whole Bal Masque masquerade of curse-bearers and with Charlatan, but most of the blame falls onto Vanitas for acting out of behavior with Jeanne lols. But yet, Vanitas plays the cool Bishounen character with finesse, so much so that Luca misunderstood the whole trait with the teasing and jestering. Vanitas being an alpha male for assertion has no right to be funny, but it is. Jeanne's conditions ust be kept a secret, but the way that Vanitas tempts her is like a lover's trance in the most lavish way possible.

Noe cusps at the relationship between Vanitas and Jeanne to Domi, much alike the Yaoi feeling but between vampires. Never expect that kind of relationship between Domi and Noe, but much like Vanitas and Jeanne, they're one and the same.

Of course, what is 20th Century Paris without the elegance of dance and music within the walls of royalty. The girls and boys are paired with each other...and so, what is love? For Vanitas, it's impulse with tingling, but everyone has their own way of interpretation.

Man, I can never get enough of Jun Mochizuki's writing style that balances seriousness and comedy so well. This is pretty much only a 1 chapter adaptation, but man, what a pretty enjoyable relaxation of an episode that exudes the glamour and blitz.
Aug 13, 2021 10:10 AM

Jun 2019
Noe likes Tarte Tatin. Acts like a little child. Cute. Vanitas didn't like it though. Seeing Jeanne getting flustered like that was funny and cute. Vanitas doesn't hold back while teasing. Why is the blood-sucking scene so erotic every single time. I love it.

Domi is so cute as well as Noe. Love them both. Every character in this show is so lovable. Another amazing episode. I keep shipping them with each other with a different person every time. Loving this show so far. Looking forward to more of this.
Aug 13, 2021 10:24 AM

Apr 2018
Welp, everything is solved so it's time to rest and eat some Tarte Tatin. And of course, Vanitas has to teas everyone ther. Told them his relationship wih Jeanne LOL.

And then you have Domi and Noé. Their relationship is just wholesome. A pretty good episode once again.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Aug 13, 2021 10:30 AM
Sep 2020
The sexual tensions in this show really made me download tinder again oml
Aug 13, 2021 10:33 AM

Jul 2011
Jeanne is a pushover, not that is bad, but she is.

With this episode I began to like even more Domi as a character. But looks like she will be off-screen for a while(?).

Know what? FAQ it! Time to bake a Tarte Tatin and buy vanilla ice cream.
Aug 13, 2021 10:39 AM

Mar 2021
All I could say is that, they do be succin hard hehe ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Track 8 on The Notorious B.I.G's Ready To Die
Aug 13, 2021 10:49 AM
Jul 2021
I loved this episode sm 😩 we literally got everything we could’ve asked for, it was COMPLETE fan service
Aug 13, 2021 10:51 AM
Jul 2018
Good episode. Love was in the air well of course because the episode name was love.
When dancing happened beautiful colors showed up and Vanitas was doing Vanitas things. There were funny moments too.
I wondered what is going to happen in the next episode where death slumbers. I'm already thinking what is going to happen, I can't wait for the next episode.
removed-userAug 13, 2021 10:56 AM
Aug 13, 2021 10:57 AM
Dec 2011
I totally called vanitas getting into a relationship with Jeanne! Lol had to say it. One sided love is tough tho. Really liked this episode
Aug 13, 2021 10:58 AM

Jan 2021
Why does everyone go for Jeanne? Her reactions to Vanitas' teasing are cute but I don't like her that much. Dominique is quite obviously the best girl.

Why do childhood friends never win.
Aug 13, 2021 11:01 AM

Jan 2021
Yes Vanitas, we understand, you have a weird fetish, but we are not going to judge you 😂

I almost fell, I almost fell, for a moment it crossed my mind that Noe... Well, thank goodness it's a misunderstanding -.-

Chill episode, dedicated to love, and I loved it <3
Aug 13, 2021 11:14 AM
Jun 2020
Noé is so cute in this episode especially at the start! It was funny when his reaction to Jeanne and Vanitas fleeing was delayed and kept eating at first. Those kinds of scenes remind me of a tweet I saw that said Noé has signs of ADHD and idk much of ADHD except being easily distracted and he does seem easily distracted. Vanitas can turn from a cute chibi meme to a very serious and sly teasing human with a deep voice ;-; Vanitas saying he wants Jeanne to say his name lmaoo brooo stoooop and Jeanne saying his name right before OPENING HIS SHIRT omfg and sucking his blood bruhhh that's really some ero shiz 🥴🤧 Please stop lmao
Vanitas instantly laughing at Noé's question made me laugh too lmao
That scene with Noé and Domi was omg why do they have to make blood-sucking scenes so erotic HAHAHA I did not expect Noé to suck Domi's blood too I thought he was just removing her glove, which would be weird and sexual too. I don't really like the idea of Noé and Domi being lovers with the fact that they're basically family lmao but that's just me. For me, if you lived together since you were a child, like Eren and Mikasa, I expect them to see each other as close siblings/family because lovers just doesn't sit right with me lol
I almost thought Noé liked Jeanne with the amount of times he kept looking at her haha and how he almost asked her to dance (I think)

With this episode I realized the story progression really is slow and that they're more focused on characters 😆 So that's that

edit: The post below me mentioned about author respecting all kinds of relationships and Noe licking his lips. I didn't wanna talk about the obviously gay stuff that happens in this anime because people might start saying stuff like 'No! They're straight af!!! Jeanne x Vanitas is canon!' stuff like that as if gay people don't exist 🥴 Not everything has to be straight damn just ship your own ships it really isn't that deep. ANYWAY, Noé and Vanitas dancing was just *chef's kiss* very very cute and how Noé asked Vanitas what is love BRO fruity. On Noé licking his lips, bitch wtf I thought you were an innocent baby what was that focus about HAHAHA 🥲 And Noé saying he wants to taste Vanitas' blood hmmm yes pls 🥴
And Noé stepping on Vanitas' foot and Vanitas getting angry was funny af
umaruchan26Aug 14, 2021 8:55 AM
Aug 13, 2021 11:14 AM

Apr 2017
Today's episode was such a treat! I absolutely love how the author respects all kind of ships/love: straight romance lovers, BL romance lovers, and yuri romance lovers.

When Jeanne blushes literally my heart stops from how cute she is and Noe smiling like a happy child after he saw the cake is the cutest thing ever!! AHAHAHA Noe really wanted to get a taste of Vanitas' blood and man he was so serious about it, and the part between Noe and Domi was GOOD! I like how flustered Domi got when Noe started sucking her blood because she had let her guard down, Noe has very child-like moments but then seeing him show some sexiness with licking his lips after he tastes a bit of her must have been a critical hit! ☆★☆★

All in all, this episode was GREAT and so much fun!!!
Aug 13, 2021 11:17 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this episode being titled "love" was accurate as heck, to say the least. Jeanne - Vanitas interactions are just a treat to watch. Sadly for Vanitas, it's clear that she's falling for him slowly.

Meanwhile, hints being thrown into the air that Noe fancies Jeanne too. I highly doubt this is the case. Dominique, please.

And then there's the kid. Sadly for him, I doubt there's any chance.

All in all, a very interesting episode. Definitely didn't expect a whole barrage of this.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 13, 2021 11:20 AM

Nov 2014
A pretty wholesome episode so far, I like it *w*

The bisexual tension is in the air, I can feel it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 13, 2021 11:21 AM

Mar 2014
Chapter 12 finally adapted. I wish they added Noé's future narration in the last part of the dance about the stirring in his heart. It really adds a much more melancholic tone in the scene. But aside from that, the boys/girls dance was a treat <33
Aug 13, 2021 11:26 AM
Sep 2015
Are they bisexual?
Aug 13, 2021 11:40 AM

Jun 2020
Hoo boy, the fan artists and doujinkas are gonna have a field day with this episode lol...

That said, I'm a teensy bit put off by the sudden "eroticness" in the blood-sucking scenes in these past few episodes, it just keeps catching me off guard and is agonizingly awkward to watch lmao. Hopefully things get a bit more action-packed in the coming episodes, since that's what I was looking forward to most when I started this.
Aug 13, 2021 11:40 AM
Aug 2020
Ep 1 - Yeah, this is probably gonna be gay
Ep 2 - Oh this is a 100% gay
Ep 3 - Oh shit, this is actually not gay
Ep 4 - Damn, why was I thinking that this was gay
Ep 5 - Pain, Misery, Despair, Sorrow
Ep 6 - Aaaaand is back to being gay
Ep 7 - Oh so they're Bi now?

This show's being a rollercoster ngl
Aug 13, 2021 11:41 AM
Sep 2019
Loved the episode.
Also, whew, the tension is intense!
Aug 13, 2021 11:57 AM
Mar 2021
Vanitas face when he said, "Ama!" (amai) was so cute XD
I have watch a lot of anime with Natsuki Hanae but this is the first time I think his voice is dangerous lol maybe it's also because of the fact that Hanae was asked to speak as if he is singing.

We also learn more about the characters and also clue to Vanitas's problem, "I have zero interest in the sort of person who would love me."

I thought the new character will appear this week but he is not, please appear next weeeekkkkkk
Aug 13, 2021 12:42 PM

Oct 2018
I can't stand it anymore, I love Jeanne.

Why can't I have a Jeanne in my life, God? What did I ever do?
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Aug 13, 2021 12:45 PM

Jul 2015
I really love it when taundere is being teased. Glorious.

Aug 13, 2021 1:03 PM
Apr 2016
I think I drop this anime now feel bl bisexual fuckk this anime
Aug 13, 2021 1:10 PM

Nov 2017
This episode is very... romantique! 😍
Aug 13, 2021 1:27 PM
Mar 2021
I feel like the show becomes worse and worse each episode. The show has no clue what it wants to be. One episode it’s a vampire Shonen and the other it’s a romance slice of life. Then it’s a adventure story. Then it’s becomes a yaoi. The story has no direction anymore.
Aug 13, 2021 1:39 PM
Feb 2021
DaPlane said:
I feel like the show becomes worse and worse each episode. The show has no clue what it wants to be. One episode it’s a vampire Shonen and the other it’s a romance slice of life. Then it’s a adventure story. Then it’s becomes a yaoi. The story has no direction anymore.

It absolutely has direction. It's just not in a hurry to get there. A good story can be many things, because life is a mixture of many things. This story isn't "just" action shonen. It isn't "just" a romance. Like in real life, there are times when you need to take things seriously, and times when you can relax and enjoy yourself. It knows exactly what it wants to be, and it's doing it. What it doesn't want to be is constrained into needing to hit specific genre notes.
Aug 13, 2021 1:44 PM
Mar 2021
MugenNoShirayuki said:
DaPlane said:

It absolutely has direction. It's just not in a hurry to get there. A good story can be many things, because life is a mixture of many things. This story isn't "just" action shonen. It isn't "just" a romance. Like in real life, there are times when you need to take things seriously, and times when you can relax and enjoy yourself. It knows exactly what it wants to be, and it's doing it. What it doesn't want to be is constrained into needing to hit specific genre notes.
the plot has barely progressed and the show is more then half way done. The story needs to pick up and move forward. You can still have all these romance parts but the show focuses too much on them and not enough on what’s important. If the show wanted to take its time it would need to be longer
Aug 13, 2021 1:51 PM
Feb 2021
DaPlane said:
MugenNoShirayuki said:

the plot has barely progressed and the show is more then half way done. The story needs to pick up and move forward. You can still have all these romance parts but the show focuses too much on them and not enough on what’s important. If the show wanted to take its time it would need to be longer

24 episodes isn't long enough?
Aug 13, 2021 1:56 PM
May 2020
Mappa called they want their explanation trick back!
Aug 13, 2021 1:56 PM

Apr 2010
There is so much to be seen in this story but I get this feeling that we are wasting time. I want the plot to go faster XD

I guess what I need is another Chapter of manga.
Forever hold this heart that I will give to you
Forever I will live for you
Aug 13, 2021 2:10 PM

Nov 2019
DaPlane said:

It's more like you have no clue about what this show wants to be. Don't go on expecting every airing show carries the same template. The plot progresses at a very non-orthodox way before bursting forward. This episode showed the innocent sides of Noé, a hinted sadness of Domi, Vanitas' twisted view of love and Jeanne, a strong individual but haunted by her bourreau status and past. Plot wise, this episode is deceptively chill due to reasons you'll see in coming episodes.

And where tf was yaoi? I keep reading these comments, and there's only sex in your minds, huh?
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Aug 13, 2021 2:14 PM

Mar 2021
I super love this anime. Every episode was amazing, it keeps getting better and better. Not to mention the relationship between Jeanne and Vanitas, they are the best couple for me. Every scene that they're in makes me flutter. With Vanitas' teasing and Jeanne's blushing, it's the perfect combination hahahaha
Aug 13, 2021 2:16 PM

Mar 2020
Tbh they could have easily adapted the meeting for this one..Felt quite slow to me and nothing important really happens here so thats another thing..However the episode and the backgrounds were good
Aug 13, 2021 2:18 PM

Mar 2020
MugenNoShirayuki said:
DaPlane said:

24 episodes isn't long enough?
Well they are kinda enough to adapt the first major arc of the series and almmost catching up to the manga in other words the story has just gotten out of its intro fase
Aug 13, 2021 2:58 PM

Apr 2015
Best episode so far, visually it was stunning all the way through!

Love was the theme of the episode and in all honesty, they smashed it! Interactions between Vanitas and, well everyone else, are fucking gold. Especially the moment Jeanne took Vanitas away for an explanation on why he lied. Her blush though is not good for my heart, it's so damn adorable!

To make things more complicated, we get also a moment between Noe and Domi. For some reason I loved that more than the Vanitas x Jeanne moment, but at the same time I felt pain. It's clear that Domi loves Noe but the way Noe has been looking at Jeanne this episode makes me feel sad for Domi. Unless it's Noe's way of trying to understand why Vanitas loves Jeanne, all is possible.

Either way, they all do love a good sucking! This episode was horny AF. Time to go to horny jail
Aug 13, 2021 3:40 PM
Nov 2017
The sucking is back!

Chill episode. Liked the romance parts of the episode. Vanitas' opinion on love is interesting, but unfortunately I can see Jeanne falling for him.

Is it me, or does it look like Noe is also into Jeanne? The way he stares at her while her and Vanitas are walking back to the hotel, and while her and Domi are dancing give me strong "crushing" vibes. Also, the way Domi looks sad when she sees that Noe is staring at Jeanne and not her while dancing gives me those same vibes. Well, I guess we have to wait a bit for more lovey dovey stuff since next episode looks serious.
Aug 13, 2021 4:02 PM
Feb 2021
Every week the episodes never fail to entertain, this one was…interesting to say the least.😏
Aug 13, 2021 4:15 PM

Nov 2019
The7thOne said:

Is it me, or does it look like Noe is also into Jeanne? The way he stares at her while her and Vanitas are walking back to the hotel, and while her and Domi are dancing give me strong "crushing" vibes. Also, the way Domi looks sad when she sees that Noe is staring at Jeanne and not her while dancing gives me those same vibes. Well, I guess we have to wait a bit for more lovey dovey stuff since next episode looks serious.

Nice, through suggestions of the episode myself, and being accustomed to Jun's writing style, I personally deduced the following. You may choose not to read it if you want to decipher the show by yourself. But again, you can stay with your deductions after reading mine.

A part of Noé is a child that Domi knows, but also is concerned about (which is why she's protective of him). She also suspects he haven't got a concrete feeling of something deep as love with his innocent attitude, and is worried that either he won't recognize her love (dismissing it as platonic relationship), or fall for the charms of another woman. She already internally considers Jeanne to be a good rival which was hinted by her appreciation during the dance.

On the other hand, Noé is more than just a child in the body of a hulking man. He doesn't follow any tropes, vague concepts, etc, which makes love a novel and complicated subject to him. His teacher instructed to assess Vanitas, and the people around him count too. Love seems to be a big factor in this. Considering he (at least thinks) had already figured out a part of Vanitas, he wanted to understand what in Jeanne attracts him. Both Noé and Vani found Jeanne attractive, so Noé was anticipating to see whether he'll get the same feelings looking at Jeanne (But love doesn't work that way). Noé wants to define the concept of love from ab initio - he's that type of character. Maybe this unbiased, basic approach of Noé, along with his curiosity of everything led to his teacher choosing him to assess the Book.

Now the slightly unexplained things were his initial uneasiness at seeing the situation develop between Jeanne and Vani (was he feeling like he was missing something they have, like love?); and whether he felt the same "feverish" feeling when looking at Jeanne (we presume he doesn't because he tries again to have a look at her, as if confused).
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Aug 13, 2021 4:30 PM

Jan 2020
Good episode. The focus on the more romantic bits was pretty interesting and I liked the domi and noe parts.

The art looked nice as usual and I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to next week

The food looked super good too lol

Aug 13, 2021 4:31 PM
Dec 2016
I think this episode was fine, I already have read this chapter of the manga, and I think they did a nice adaptation of this chapter too, but made it a little off.
Like in the manga we can clearly tell that Noé has something towards Vanitas, and he is just jealous because of Jeanne. But in the anime they made it looks like he has something for Jeanne ?? But that's not the case.
Also I'm sad that Domi thinks Noé has feelings for Jeanne, and she is jealous too, and she will start to hate Jeanne because of this.. :(

And after reading some comments, I can agree with that it really focuses on the relationships between all of them. I feel like the plot went a little down, but don't kill me because of this. We can clearly tell now that the half of Vanitas no Carte is about sexual tension so far. But later it will get better.
Aug 13, 2021 4:47 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Very chill and very wholesome episode. A good moment of respite showing the relationships of the main characters so far. I truly like the art and direction for this episode, and I get to see more of Jeanne. <3 So many eyes on Jeanne today, and I love seeing her blushing face. Aahh, how wonderful! My body trembles~

Domi is a good partner for Noé although it looks like Noé has his eyes on something (or somebody) else.

This episode is so romantic too. Mmm, that Tarte Tatin looks yummy. :9
Aug 13, 2021 5:04 PM
Apr 2021
some great character development here

but damn this show is insanely steamy. Vampires + French aesthetic, I suppose it is to no one's surprise this show turned out the way it is. There are entire genres of romance and reality TV that are just beautiful people becoming attracted to one another's beauty, like magnets. I quite honestly despise it, to me it is an animalistic and lower form of romance. However in Vanitas there is almost an air of satire surrounding the extreme nature of the characters and setting.
Aug 13, 2021 5:33 PM
Feb 2021
Feliaqwq said:
I think this episode was fine, I already have read this chapter of the manga, and I think they did a nice adaptation of this chapter too, but made it a little off.
Like in the manga we can clearly tell that Noé has something towards Vanitas, and he is just jealous because of Jeanne. But in the anime they made it looks like he has something for Jeanne ?? But that's not the case.
Also I'm sad that Domi thinks Noé has feelings for Jeanne, and she is jealous too, and she will start to hate Jeanne because of this.. :(

And after reading some comments, I can agree with that it really focuses on the relationships between all of them. I feel like the plot went a little down, but don't kill me because of this. We can clearly tell now that the half of Vanitas no Carte is about sexual tension so far. But later it will get better.

All these scenes were scenes from the manga. Noe tried to ask her to dance there, too, and Domi intercepted Jeanne for that reason as well.
Aug 13, 2021 5:35 PM

Apr 2018
I'll be honest, the fact that so many people watched this episode and came away with "Noe likes Jeanne" is downright baffling. It's basically seeing the words 'red herring' and thinking you caught a whole damn fish.
But oh well, somebody else has pointed out already that the situation is a bit more clear in the manga.

Alice0006 said:

I thought the new character will appear this week but he is not, please appear next weeeekkkkkk

Please, golden retriever boy when!!
Aug 13, 2021 6:12 PM

Jul 2017
That was a.... steamy episode to say the least. Still a solid one.
Aug 13, 2021 6:17 PM
Jul 2018
Jeanne and Vanitas the best couple in the show, I'm really enjoying how Vanitas is acting in the episode.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2021

242 by Sasutaschi »»
Apr 6, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2021

158 by wallus81 »»
Mar 25, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Vanitas no Karte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2021

148 by wallus81 »»
Mar 24, 12:54 AM

Poll: » Vanitas no Carte Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2021

350 by wallus81 »»
Mar 18, 4:24 PM

» The Romance in this story... sucks. ( 1 2 )

AjiX101 - Jan 10, 2022

53 by tragedydesu »»
Mar 8, 9:52 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.