Forum Settings
Forums
New
Is the hype train a good thing?
May 13, 2021 10:04 PM

Dec 2019
Every time a new anime gets super popular on the internet, I honestly don't care. My taste is very different from the internet's taste (implying that the internet has a taste). But I can see that it could help anime and the anime community in the long run since it brings a lot of people to the medium, making anime more profitable and allowing more anime to be made.
But then again it could bring the wrong people. You know, toxic people. People who expect too much. People who refuse to try anything new. People who think they know everything. I know that there'll be those people anywhere you go, but I don't think that the hype train does anything to discourage that behavior, and maybe it even encourages that behavior.
May 13, 2021 10:07 PM

Aug 2019
I’m indifferent about it, but I do feel like it helps shows out sometimes like I don’t think Uzaki would’ve gotten a second season if not for the crazy amount of people talking about it when it was airing
May 13, 2021 10:08 PM
Dec 2017
Not really as it just creates disapointment and more haters.

May 13, 2021 10:12 PM
Jun 2020
99% of the time the anime doesn't live up to its hype
May 13, 2021 10:12 PM

Jul 2007
snowykevin said:
I’m indifferent about it, but I do feel like it helps shows out sometimes like I don’t think Uzaki would’ve gotten a second season if not for the crazy amount of people talking about it when it was airing

Uzaki-chan is one I'd probably never have planned to watch if it wasn't for all the memes.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

May 13, 2021 10:15 PM

Jul 2019
EndlessMaria said:
snowykevin said:

Uzaki-chan is one I'd probably never have planned to watch if it wasn't for all the memes.

Lol, even the memes turned me off. The overall design of the show had me disgusted for some reason.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
May 13, 2021 10:17 PM

Jul 2007
LordSozin said:
EndlessMaria said:

Lol, even the memes turned me off. The overall design of the show had me disgusted for some reason.

I thought it looked funny though I have a childish sense of humor lol
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

May 13, 2021 10:21 PM

Nov 2019
They do them, you do you. Who do we have to care? Well, I'm baited.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

May 13, 2021 10:22 PM
Jul 2018
The fact is you can't control the type of people who enter the anime community or any type of community. People have their own views, level of maturity, and interests that they like to assert.
May 13, 2021 10:22 PM

Jan 2020
Sometimes. It can easily lead to something being called "overrated" though

May 13, 2021 10:26 PM

Dec 2018
Personally, I avoid watching anything that is being hyped a lot, in case of seasonals (at least up until it finishes airing and hype cools down).
May 13, 2021 10:27 PM
#borntoboil

Jan 2021
Probably not a lot. Theses sometimes have good results (Beastars, JJBA), but most of the time it sucks (Nagatoro, Kaguya-sama, BNHA)
is it really worf to put things in here like nobody reads these

discord ~ ganjimex

May 13, 2021 10:30 PM

Mar 2020
I don't think hype is good or bad, it brings more attention to anime, more attention means more distribution of anime which basically means more access to anime worldwide.

fluffycow17 said:
You know, toxic people. People who expect too much. People who refuse to try anything new. People who think they know everything. I know that there'll be those people anywhere you go, but I don't think that the hype train does anything to discourage that behavior, and maybe it even encourages that behavior.
The anime elitists are way more toxic than newcomers to anime because they do literally all of what you described, a lot more than newcomers.
Newcomers will not try to critique an anime, anime elitists will do it simply because XYZ anime is overhyped.
May 13, 2021 10:37 PM

Feb 2021
I don't think it's necessarily bad. But I also don't think it's totally great. On one hand it brings more attention to anime as a whole and thus liking anime becomes more and more normalized (in my world at least). But it also brings toxic people, like you've said. But we got plenty of those already, so a few more wouldn't make that much of a difference.

⸢ if you meet your god,
tell him to leave me alone. ⸥

ベルセルク
May 13, 2021 10:43 PM

Dec 2018
LordSozin said:
EndlessMaria said:

Holy fucking shit throughout years of being on here I thought I was the only one who said this shit outright, even so people only saw it as a joke. I literally said Uzaki looked disgusting and I wanted to squash her stupid looking head and everyone would just 'haha nice joke' like no it's not a joke. She looks like the new Toho Godzilla with those uncanny eyes. I have no problem with ecchi but ecchi exists for a reason. With that kind of design I'd rather be a monk.
. . .
May 13, 2021 10:58 PM

Oct 2008
Hype is bad when it becomes a group activity. If kept as an individual activity, it isn't toxic.
Hype can lead to people spoiling others and plenty of other worthless behaviour.

Like with many of us here on MAL, when it came to spoilers about "Shingeki no Kyojin s4". To tell the truth I got a little spoiled concerning "Promised Neverland s2". By spoiled I mean, if the score wasn't bad enough, the random comments on forums are enough to kill your anticipation for wanting to watch it.
May 13, 2021 11:03 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Only good sometimes for anime I absolutely had never heard of before like Redo Healer or Jujutsu Kaisen before. It makes me check the show.

Totally not for already popular sequel like AoT final season.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
May 14, 2021 2:50 AM

Aug 2018
depends, hype can sometimes be a good thing
May 14, 2021 3:23 AM

May 2019
This is one of those posts to agree with.
May 14, 2021 3:26 AM

Jul 2019
Sometimes. It really pays off if the show itself is amazing. Like they built up hype and it delivered. Or it could go bad. They build up hype for something amazing and it really lacks everything. Like what happened with TPN s2. Hell Ex-Arm waged a war against all sci-fi shows and you saw where than ended up.
May 14, 2021 3:27 AM

Jul 2020
Demon slayer movie is that one anime that taught me to never trust the hype and popularity ever again.If an anime gets popular I'll always wait when the hype dies down and then watch it from now on.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
May 14, 2021 3:34 AM

Sep 2019
Scordolo said:
Demon slayer movie is that one anime that taught me to never trust the hype and popularity ever again.If an anime gets popular I'll always wait when the hype dies down and then watch it from now on.
what did it do to you? You watched it?
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
May 14, 2021 4:12 AM

May 2018
I don't care about taste, I am disgusted even by people who are hyped for shows I really love.
Hype makes people behave like cattle.
alshuMay 14, 2021 4:21 AM
May 14, 2021 4:19 AM
Jun 2020
definitely not, it can ruin the experience for the anime only, especially if it's a manga adaptation, spoilers and foreshadowing running around like crazy
plus, the anime might not be what they expected (different tastes and other factors), trailer too different from the actual animation (for those who care about such), etc.
look what happened with the webtoon adaptations (GoH, ToG) and other recent anime, regardless of it being an original or not
overhyping is unhealthy
Nissan 350Z
May 14, 2021 4:25 AM

Sep 2019
alshu said:
I don't care about taste, I am disgusted even by people who are hyped for shows I really love.
there should be a study on people who show/share over-excitement on fiction.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
May 14, 2021 4:25 AM

Jun 2016
I don't engage in hype culture and I don't like my internet feeds getting flooded by guys who are hyped so no I don't like it.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 14, 2021 4:29 AM

May 2018
Peeti said:
alshu said:
there should be a study on people who show/share over-excitement on fiction.

Yeah and there should be involuntary treatment for the most severe cases.
May 14, 2021 8:32 AM

Jul 2020
Peeti said:
Scordolo said:

Yeah,watched it but after completing it I never got the hype from it.So it taught me that I should only watch a popular anime only when the hype is dead.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
May 14, 2021 8:37 AM

Sep 2019
Scordolo said:
Peeti said:

Yeah,watched it but after completing it I never got the hype from it.So it taught me that I should only watch a popular anime only when the hype is dead.
you watched it on big screen or small screen?
May 14, 2021 8:38 AM

Jan 2009
in terms of capitalism or profit yes hype is really important as you describe
May 14, 2021 8:38 AM

Jan 2013
Genrerally speaking it's better for something to be talked about than not, yeah.
May 14, 2021 8:42 AM

Apr 2020
I don't treat the hype like a bad thing so it's alright for me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 14, 2021 8:51 AM
Aug 2020
I would say they usually are so long as you don't immediately assume every hyped show is some sort of masterpiece and then get disappointed when it turns out to be above average but nothing special. Like Demon Slayer isn't a bad show or anything but it's just a decently animated battle shounen. AOT on the other hand is actually really good but even it is a little overhyped by people who constantly screamed about it being peak fiction.
May 14, 2021 8:54 AM

Apr 2019
From what I can tell it amounts to cheerleading for sequels of already popular shows.

For example, the "most stacked season ever" aka Winter 2021 consisted of 13 shows that currently have a rating of 8.00 or more, 9 of which were sequels.

Attack on Titan 4.1
Gore Isekai 3
Euro Camping 2
No Biriyani 3
Slime Isekai 2
Dr. Stone 2
Quintessential Quintuplets 2
World Trigger 2
Beastars 2

For the record the 4 original titles were: Paedo Isekai, Horimiya, Wonderful Eggs & Sk8.

Are these scores reflections of these shows quality, or just the hype train?
Personally, I cannot see any of these shows really standing the test of time, with the notable exception of AoT.
-rojazu-May 14, 2021 8:58 AM
Bleach is best consumed with your ears open and your eyes closed.
May 14, 2021 9:01 AM

Feb 2020
Hype is never a good at least from viewers perspective
-It just brings more hater.
-It just makes series look overrated or underrated to people thus clouding people's judgement
-Its always better to judge for urself than joining so shitty train of hype. U will get better at judging anime and exploring ur own taste by not joining the hype

Though positive hype is good from a production perspective
AdampkMay 14, 2021 9:15 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

May 14, 2021 10:18 AM

Jul 2020
Peeti said:
Scordolo said:

you watched it on big screen or small screen?

I watched it specifically on my Television.The only good thing from it was Rengoku vs Akaza the rest was mid.I wish I watched it when the hype died down but it's impossible because it's a big franchise and people won't stop talking about it.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
May 14, 2021 11:01 AM

May 2009
From a producer's standpoint, perhaps yes, as it lets them get more attention and thus more eventual sales of merch/DVDs/etc..

From my standpoint as a watcher, however, no, because it sets up expectations, and I'd rather go into a show without expectations. For most shows I think this works better. Less complaining about cliches and predictability, basically.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 14, 2021 11:14 AM

Jan 2014
I think its a good thing. Back then I wasn't into the quintessential quintuplets, but because of the hype surrounding it I decided to check it out. It didn't live up to the hype imo but it did one thing for me. It got me curious enough to read the manga, to which I really liked. So yeah I think there are some benefits to certain shows getting hyped.
Recommend me an anime
May 14, 2021 1:15 PM

Jul 2020
If it's the Nino Train then Yes.

I'M RIDING ON THE RAILS OF THE NINO TRAIN!
May 14, 2021 9:48 PM

Jul 2013
I like it when an anime I like gets people hyped and gains more fans who also like it because that means there'll finally be more fan content like fanarts and memes. Also having more fans sometimes means a greater likelihood of a second season

however hype trains usually means turning off some other people who prefer to watch obscure anime, it also sometimes brings the expectations WAY TOO HIGH which can be detrimental for future episode's enjoyment. also more hype also = more hate coming this way
May 14, 2021 10:16 PM

Apr 2017
Hype from trailers=good.
Hype from manga readers=bad.
Hype from LN elitists=omega bad please fuck off you fucking degenerates.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 10 hours ago

38 by _gt_ohn »»
28 seconds ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

30 by logopolis »»
55 seconds ago

» Advertise your favorite anime

Tannenbusch - 1 minute ago

0 by Tannenbusch »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 6 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
5 minutes ago

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

21 by xqXpx »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.