Forum Settings
Forums

Why complain? Even if a character isn't "sexy" they'll be sexualised regardless.

New
Feb 25, 2021 6:01 PM
Feb 2017
This isn't a "But men get sexualised too!" post

Here and there you'll see people complain about the design of an anime character (usually girl) for being too sexualised. Chest too big, or a waist too thin. And sometimes I can agree but...

If we take a famous example like Levi, or the Haikyuu dudes, they get sexualised without even trying. They're fully clothed, but people still find them hot.

So if in the end:
Barely clothed, the character gets lewded
Fully clothed, the character gets lewded

What are we complaining for?

Is it realism? You're watching a show where a guy shoots tape out of his elbow....
It's Aiko!!!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 25, 2021 6:07 PM
Aug 2020
It's the anime community. Of course characters will be lewded whether the show they're in sexualizes them or not.
Feb 25, 2021 6:09 PM

Mar 2020
I call this a case of big horny that weebs have.
Feb 25, 2021 6:17 PM

May 2016
only westerners complain about sexy woman. they are not allowed an opinion so no one cares.
Feb 25, 2021 6:17 PM

Feb 2021
It's anime we're talking about why do people care if they are sexualized? It's nothing new in the industry. I already see some people complaining about Iruru design for her being 'not proportional' enough or 'little girls don't have boobs that big'. I'm sick of that. Deal with it.

My response to your post, yes, people shouldn't complain about sexualized anime characters.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Feb 25, 2021 6:23 PM
Feb 2017
Yuu_Kanzaki said:
It's anime we're talking about why do people care if they are sexualized? It's nothing new in the industry. I already see some people complaining about Iruru design for her being 'not proportional' enough or 'little girls don't have boobs that big'. I'm sick of that. Deal with it.

My response to your post, yes, people shouldn't complain about sexualized anime characters.

I'll be honest I do find Iruru kinda weird. I'm not gonna go rant about it, plus she is a dragon, but oppai lolis are kinda....idk....
It's Aiko!!!!
Feb 25, 2021 6:25 PM

Oct 2013
I completely agree. I'd say the same exact thing to people who complain about female outfits in games. I'm carrying around comically large swords and guns and killing hoards of monsters and people complain about the unrealistic armor. I'll never understand that.
FanofActionFeb 25, 2021 6:30 PM
Feb 25, 2021 6:27 PM

Mar 2020
FanofAction said:
I completely agree. I'd say the same exact thing to people who complain about female outfits in games. I'm caring around comically large swords and guns and killing hoards of monsters and people complain about the unrealistic armor. I'll never understand that.
I don't think many people complain about sexualization of armors as much as they ridicule the impracticality of it.
You are fighting monsters and your armor is a metal bikini, that's just hilarious and impractical.
Ridicule is not the same as complaining.
Feb 25, 2021 6:34 PM
Jan 2012
I think it's because some people have the misunderstanding that a character being sexy means the sex appeal was the priority or that the author didn't think the character could stand on their own from just the way they're in the story. Being sexy and being a good character aren't mutually exclusive, so these really are just misunderstandings.

I can maybe understand these kinds of criticisms if it's a sexy but completely one dimensional character in a cast of well written characters, but complaining about a good character being sexy doesn't feel like actual proper criticism unless it's just that distracting.
Feb 25, 2021 6:35 PM

Nov 2015
Quick question,

aren't haikyuu characters bishounen?
Feb 25, 2021 6:49 PM

Jun 2020
Judevin said:
FanofAction said:
I completely agree. I'd say the same exact thing to people who complain about female outfits in games. I'm caring around comically large swords and guns and killing hoards of monsters and people complain about the unrealistic armor. I'll never understand that.
I don't think many people complain about sexualization of armors as much as they ridicule the impracticality of it.
You are fighting monsters and your armor is a metal bikini, that's just hilarious and impractical.

we're just trying to see some voluptuous titties bounce mid-fight. we can't see them bounce with a full suit of armor my dude
Feb 25, 2021 6:53 PM

Mar 2020
waifusimpin said:
Judevin said:

we're just trying to see some voluptuous titties bounce mid-fight. we can't see them bounce with a full suit of armor my dude
No I get that, I'm down for fan service too.
But my point is people don't complain about sexualization in anime but make fun of how impractical it is.
As I said making fun of a design isn't the same as complaining.

FanofAction said:
Judevin said:

It was mostly a response to that last bit at the end rather than the post as a whole. I know it's not just about the sexualization. But going back to anime, I'm expected to believe that within these worlds, it's perfectly normal for a shirtless or barely clothed character to take on entire armies or giant monsters and come out relatively ok. I don't see why that logic shouldn't be applied to games as well.
Again, if you just take Iruru's example.
Her design is ridiculous, like comically funny, even the manga makes fun of her design.
So people calling her design weird aren't complaining but rather just making fun and commenting on her design.
I think a lot of people don't understand the difference between a complaint and mockery.
Feb 25, 2021 7:00 PM

Oct 2013
Judevin said:
waifusimpin said:

But my point is people don't complain about sexualization in anime but make fun of how impractical it is.

FanofAction said:

It was mostly a response to that last bit at the end rather than the post as a whole. I know it's not just about the sexualization. But going back to anime, I'm expected to believe that within these worlds, it's perfectly normal for a shirtless or barely clothed character to take on entire armies or giant monsters and come out relatively ok. I don't see why that logic shouldn't be applied to games as well.
Her design is ridiculous, like comically funny, even the manga makes fun of her design.
So people calling her design weird aren't complaining but rather just making fun and commenting on her design.
I think a lot of people don't understand the difference between a complaint and mockery.

I get that .I just find weird that people would focus on one specific aspect. If you're going to poke fun at something, you might as well poke fun at the whole thing. How is skimpy armor any more ridiculous than anything else that's happening is these games?
Feb 25, 2021 7:06 PM

Mar 2020
FanofAction said:
Judevin said:

I get that .I just find weird that people would focus on one specific aspect. If you're going to poke fun at something, you might as well poke fun at the whole thing. How is skimpy armor any more ridiculous than anything else that's happening is these games?
I think ridiculous games own up to it often.
Take Dante from DMC or Bayonetta, they know their games are over the top.
They own it, you know they're weird because the MCs literally admit they're weird.
Their designs are sexualized and pure fan service as well.

Problem with anime or say some games is that they try to present themselves as much serious, but then the character designs are goofy looking and you're just left feeling confused.

You either dedicate everything to being weird or you dedicate everything to being serious.
If you half-ass either it just becomes shitty writing.

That is the problem with some RPG games, they have this serious foreboding plot, and then your character is running around in a metal bikini, it creates a disconnect in the universe.
Doesn't have to be the female either, a guy wearing just pants fighting monsters bare chested would be just as weird, because it doesn't fit the theme of the story.
Feb 25, 2021 7:17 PM

Oct 2013
Judevin said:
FanofAction said:

I think ridiculous games own up to it often.
Take Dante from DMC or Bayonetta, they know their games are over the top.
They own it, you know they're weird because the MCs literally admit they're weird.
Their designs are sexualized and pure fan service as well.

Problem with anime or say some games is that they try to present themselves as much serious, but then the character designs are goofy looking and you're just left feeling confused.

You either dedicate everything to being weird or you dedicate everything to being serious.
If you half-ass either it just becomes shitty writing.

That is the problem with some RPG games, they have this serious foreboding plot, and then your character is running around in a metal bikini, it creates a disconnect in the universe.
Doesn't have to be the female either, a guy wearing just pants fighting monsters bare chested would be just as weird, because it doesn't fit the theme of the story.

Ok, that's completely fair. I just prefer to look at these as worlds that aren't restricted by the same logic as ours. I've heard it helps some people to just assume that there's some kind of magical element at play. This isn't "normal" armor but instead "magic" armor. Sure, it's a lame way to explain things, but it works to an extent.
Feb 25, 2021 10:04 PM

Jan 2010
Obviously because we want more sexy topless men.

If we can't then you shouldn't too.
Feb 25, 2021 11:45 PM

May 2009
If a person's opinion is just their personal taste, it's kinda rude for someone else to tell them what they should or shouldn't like. And this goes both ways, both for stuff like "you shouldn't like this because it's objectifying" and for stuff like "you shouldn't dislike this because sexualization complaints make no sense".

FanofAction said:
I just find weird that people would focus on one specific aspect. If you're going to poke fun at something, you might as well poke fun at the whole thing. How is skimpy armor any more ridiculous than anything else that's happening is these games?
Regarding a criticism based on realism, i.e. "It's bad because it's not realistic", I agree.

Though, I think people should just come out and say they prefer or disprefer something on a personal basis. It's just their taste. If they would prefer a certain thing to look more realistic, that's just their taste. And people (and other people) should acknowledge that other people can have different tastes than themselves.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 25, 2021 11:50 PM

Dec 2020
It is not really a problem of finding characters who are not sexualized sexualized, but rather misinterpreting the term "sexualizing".

Progressives especially, tend to think that making a character cute or handsome is sexualizing him and gaining commercialization based on that. It is not that they are hot people, but people so delicate with beauty that they cannot see something beautiful and call it sexualized or exploited.
Feb 25, 2021 11:51 PM

May 2020
Well you can't really expect realism in anime . There isn't a point in complaining .

Something that’s supposed to die and doesn’t… will eventually rot away , whether it’s a man or a nation
Feb 25, 2021 11:59 PM

Apr 2018
Well, they don't call it Rule 34 for nothing.
Feb 26, 2021 12:03 AM

Oct 2013
GlennMagusHarvey said:
If a person's opinion is just their personal taste, it's kinda rude for someone else to tell them what they should or shouldn't like. And this goes both ways, both for stuff like "you shouldn't like this because it's objectifying" and for stuff like "you shouldn't dislike this because sexualization complaints make no sense".

FanofAction said:
I just find weird that people would focus on one specific aspect. If you're going to poke fun at something, you might as well poke fun at the whole thing. How is skimpy armor any more ridiculous than anything else that's happening is these games?
Regarding a criticism based on realism, i.e. "It's bad because it's not realistic", I agree.

Though, I think people should just come out and say they prefer or disprefer something on a personal basis. It's just their taste. If they would prefer a certain thing to look more realistic, that's just their taste. And people (and other people) should acknowledge that other people can have different tastes than themselves.

Agree that people should be more willing to accept not everyone likes/dislikes the same things, nor should they. Too many times I've come across people with the "I hate this therefore it should not exist" mentality.
Feb 26, 2021 3:46 AM

Jun 2020
MinorTatu said:
This isn't a "But men get sexualised too!" post

Here and there you'll see people complain about the design of an anime character (usually girl) for being too sexualised. Chest too big, or a waist too thin. And sometimes I can agree but...

If we take a famous example like Levi, or the Haikyuu dudes, they get sexualised without even trying. They're fully clothed, but people still find them hot.

So if in the end:

Is it realism? You're watching a show where a guy shoots tape out of his elbow....

This is the STUPEDEST thing I've heard all day LOOOL are u serious? Why is this even a discussion?
Do u even know the meaning of sexualised?

There's a HUGE difference between PURPOSFULLY trying to make a character look sexy & making them LOOK LIKE HUMANS/have certain personalities.
It's not about what the viewers think or feel because no one can fully control that, rather it's about what the ARTIST IS TRYING TO DO.

And I will complain & keep complaining.
Hydre_ItoFeb 26, 2021 4:10 AM
Feb 26, 2021 3:49 AM

Nov 2016
People will sexualize everyone and everything

Source trust me bro, I was on rule 34

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 26, 2021 6:09 AM

Oct 2008
"They'll be sexualised regardless", I completely agree. If I had anything to complain about it would be one of two things:

1.Characters from certain anime get their designs unnecessarily changed (some times more, some times less). In fan-art and diujinshi.

2.More characters from more anime should be sexualised. An anime like SAO gets plenty of sexualisation. While "Nagi no Asukara" doesn't get enough, or gets only a sliver.
Feb 26, 2021 6:19 AM
Shattered Angel

Mar 2015
You have a point... I mean, rule34 exists for a reason. Even if a character has normal proportions, is wearing a lot of clothing at all times, and is not a seductive or flirty kind of character SOMEONE out there is going to draw rule34 NSFW art of that character. Just the way things go lol.
Feb 26, 2021 6:23 AM

Jun 2014
CrimsonMidnight said:

Listen, I'm as horny for Makoto as the next guy, but what's the point of looking at someone topless?

Feb 26, 2021 8:07 AM
Feb 2017
Ikan1a said:
This is the STUPEDEST thing I've heard all day LOOOL are u serious? Why is this even a discussion?
Do u even know the meaning of sexualised?

There's a HUGE difference between PURPOSFULLY trying to make a character look sexy & making them LOOK LIKE HUMANS/have certain personalities.
It's not about what the viewers think or feel because no one can fully control that, rather it's about what the ARTIST IS TRYING TO DO.

And I will complain & keep complaining.

Hey come one man you didn't have to call me stupid

So the issue is the artist's intentions? But if the artist hasn't said their intentions out loud in the end in comes down to the audience's perception and interpretation. The audience will then figure out the artist's intentions and whether a character was sexualised or not based on how they reacted when they saw it. So the viewer does play a part in deciding whether a character is sexualised or not.

Secondly, what if the aritst set out to make a sexy character, but the character has a pretty simple design. To the artist something as such could be sexy. In that sense, they've sexualised a character, but is there anything wrong with that? If Levi was made to be sexy, despite the fact that he's not flashy, is it wrong to have such a character because that was the artist's intentions?
It's Aiko!!!!
Feb 26, 2021 9:35 AM

Apr 2015
I'm pretty sure the reason changes from person to person. But I find your comparisons weird, since your male examples are characters who to my knowledge don't get sexualized by the marketing nor in the actual show and it's just fan(girl)s creating their own content. Actually I think I have seen quite often on MAL people complaining about those fans who do that, and usually it involves some comment how they're ruining the show/character for the commenter.

If I am complaining how a character gets treated or about their design (in this case making it overtly sexual), I'd say it's more about how I feel the writer/artist doesn't actually want to treat said character beyond blank object to insert their wants and that only definite trait of said character is they're sexy. It is even more glaring to me if other characters (often male characters) will get their own scenes to shine. Having a character who has big tits isn't in itself sexualizing, writing that character in a way where all her scenes involve something about that fact is more like it. Like lets take a male character here. I doubt anyone would call character Guts sexualized because in the movies we had few scenes of his bara tits jiggling and people have created gifs of those for people to ogle at. However if every scene where camera was on him included that yes he would be sexualized). Other is if there's no variety in characters and everyone gets the sexy treatment, then it's just boring to me.

I'm not a big fan on idea just because some female character has big breasts people call it lewd or whatever. For some reason I have seen more people doing that, I blame hentai.
Feb 26, 2021 9:53 AM
Feb 2017
konkelo said:
I'm pretty sure the reason changes from person to person. But I find your comparisons weird, since your male examples are characters who to my knowledge don't get sexualized by the marketing nor in the actual show and it's just fan(girl)s creating their own content. Actually I think I have seen quite often on MAL people complaining about those fans who do that, and usually it involves some comment how they're ruining the show/character for the commenter.

If I am complaining how a character gets treated or about their design (in this case making it overtly sexual), I'd say it's more about how I feel the writer/artist doesn't actually want to treat said character beyond blank object to insert their wants and that only definite trait of said character is they're sexy. It is even more glaring to me if other characters (often male characters) will get their own scenes to shine. Having a character who has big tits isn't in itself sexualizing, writing that character in a way where all her scenes involve something about that fact is more like it. Like lets take a male character here. I doubt anyone would call character Guts sexualized because in the movies we had few scenes of his bara tits jiggling and people have created gifs of those for people to ogle at. However if every scene where camera was on him included that yes he would be sexualized). Other is if there's no variety in characters and everyone gets the sexy treatment, then it's just boring to me.

I'm not a big fan on idea just because some female character has big breasts people call it lewd or whatever. For some reason I have seen more people doing that, I blame hentai.

The comparison holds because sexualisation doesn't always need to be overt. It can subtle as well. Haikyuu boys and Levi are examples of this. Just because it isn't in your face doesn't mean the characters aren't being designed with the intent of arousing certain people. If you look up Levi official art, there's this picture of him sitting on a chair holding some paper over his head. Yeah, his dick isn't swinging around but he's (arguably) still drawn to make the viewer feel some kind of way. Guts and his man titties could be an example of that. It's not overt, but it's still there.

With anime girls who are focused on around being sexy and do nothing meaningful, the problem isn't even sexualisation, it's poor writing. The character is one note. Many one note characters in anime aren't uninteresting to the viewers. It's a reason why some people don't understand the Mikasa hype. It;s the reason why Eren wasn't as popular as he is now among the AoT fanbase during the early years. Now, he's much more complex, and more more likeable. I think there's nothing wrong with a scene of anime girls.... idk shaking their boobs or something. It's just that if it feels forced, and if it feels out of characters or if it feels unnecessary, it'll offputting. And it's very easy for the sexualisation of a character to feel unnecessary

It's Aiko!!!!
Feb 26, 2021 10:14 AM

Oct 2010
I still don't get why people want plain looking characters in dragon maid, if you remove the sexiness, that show would not have been so popular, look at sansha sanyou, who the hell knows that that anime exists. Dragon Maid was intended to be sexy, adding another big chested chick in the next season is a no brainer, it's like adding another waifu in your usual harem anime, people get bored of the same chicks.
Feb 26, 2021 11:16 AM

Apr 2015
@MinorTatu if we're going to call having attractive characters as sexualizing then every Disney movie would also be sexualized. I think idealized word would fit better in that context and sexualization would start to lose its meaning if it's used to describe something like hq! male characters. And I'm not up to date with aot merchandising, since it's far from my favorite show, but if fans didn't find Levi attractive would you then say he's not sexualized? Since I'd imagine any merch is done due to demand. I know plenty of people went all horny over the scene where Levi beats Eren in season 1, but I doubt it was the main intent to get out of that scene.

Ah if my comment came out as sounding me thinking sexualization itself is a problem, that isn't the case. While in some few cases it could be done in bad taste I don't believe it is a bane in media or pop culture. That's overall just my "issue" with characters designed to be sexy in media also beyond anime. Mostly how female characters get written, sometimes how male character is written.
Feb 26, 2021 11:57 AM

Nov 2008
Probably because they are insecure about their own bodies. xD

I personally don't like the new character in Dragon Maid's body proportions...because it just looks really ridiculous. So I'll critique it from an artist's POV instead of an SJW's.

Uzaki-chan looked fine but this new girl looks pregnant in the wrong place.

Feb 26, 2021 9:24 PM

Jan 2010
Seiya said:
CrimsonMidnight said:

Listen, I'm as horny for Makoto as the next guy, but what's the point of looking at someone topless?

The same point of looking at someone big boobs?
Feb 27, 2021 12:09 AM

Jan 2019
You see, if it was that simple, every character could be fully naked and that wouldn't impact your experience. In fact, I believe that's feasible in a sense, and it's sort of how I felt towards Kill la Kill - everyone was so "undressed" all the time that it just didn't matter anymore.

The problem, in my opinion, is when animes start adding scenes and dialogue just for the sexualization and objectification of characters. It's very common. It makes characters poor and annoying, and often derails the story, and spoils my enjoyment.

In short, I don't care if you want to add a hot woman/man who is always naked in your cast, just don't make the characters and their participation in the story stupid and useless because of that aspect.
Feb 27, 2021 5:23 AM
Feb 2017
konkelo said:
@MinorTatu if we're going to call having attractive characters as sexualizing then every Disney movie would also be sexualized. I think idealized word would fit better in that context and sexualization would start to lose its meaning if it's used to describe something like hq! male characters. And I'm not up to date with aot merchandising, since it's far from my favorite show, but if fans didn't find Levi attractive would you then say he's not sexualized? Since I'd imagine any merch is done due to demand. I know plenty of people went all horny over the scene where Levi beats Eren in season 1, but I doubt it was the main intent to get out of that scene.

Ah if my comment came out as sounding me thinking sexualization itself is a problem, that isn't the case. While in some few cases it could be done in bad taste I don't believe it is a bane in media or pop culture. That's overall just my "issue" with characters designed to be sexy in media also beyond anime. Mostly how female characters get written, sometimes how male character is written.

Yeah I understand that the issue is whether the character being sexy is their sole purpose, a character like that is poor.
But yeah your first paragraph is my point on why sometimes it feels hard to critique it. Is it sexualisation because the fans perceived it that way or because the author intended for it to arouse the fans? If one and not the other is achieved, could we still call a character sexualised? Since there's no consensus, does it even matter?
It's Aiko!!!!
Feb 27, 2021 5:32 AM
Nov 2018
MinorTatu said:

I think it's because there are certain people who would want to avoid that sort of thing. For example, I personally don't like lewd characters, but I can stand them if a show is good. If I were to watch Demon Slayer and like Nezuko or Shinobu as a character, then I also might get the mindset that I don't want them to be lewded - and as such, I'd avoid any fanart or anything to do with them which might lewd them. If it's in the mainn product, then it's being exposed to both the people who will like that sort of thing and will hate or disagree with it. That's my take on it, but people are allowed to interpret it in a different way.
Feb 27, 2021 5:41 AM
May 2019
The male characters you are talking about are not sexualized by the anime but by the fujoshis, if you want an example of anime sexualizing men then Free is a good example but it is a fact that female characters are lot more oversexualixed than male characters to the point it's annoying and even uncomfortable, you may be completely fine with it but not everyone are going to be.
Feb 27, 2021 5:53 AM

Jun 2014
CrimsonMidnight said:
Seiya said:

Well, I'm not attracted to naked people. I only care about faces and hairsyles. I don't mind seeing someone in a sexy outfit, but if they take their clothes off, I get turned off. Am I the only person like this?

Feb 27, 2021 6:08 AM
Feb 2021
The issue at hand might be bad storytelling and frustrated expectations.

Some anime can pull off sexualizing characters if that's not the entire focus of the anime. If they can't pull that off, it seems like a cheap strategy to get views, making it detrimental.

And a few apples spoil the bunch. All you need is contact with a single anime that does that cheap trick and trauma installs itself in your brain.

I remember loving High School of The Dead for having the Romero approach to zombies, engaging survival activities, etc... Then the first few episodes ended and they simply left school... and there was some weird ballistic boobies? Also something about being peed on by a middle schooler...?!!! Then when they reached living together with a naked samurai girl on an apron I quit because the plot was never going to develop further from that.

Point is I might have missed the best storytelling ever (maybe? past that point...?) because the anime was too focused on fan-servicing to deliver what it promised: a good zombie flick with Japanese high-schoolers (just thinking about this concept makes me poop my pants in excitement).

And that actually pushed me off some good titles, because they would also focus on sexualization to a boiling point. It took me till last week to watch Tenkū Shinpan which was actually good entertainment. Nothing masterpiece material. But solid entertainment.
Feb 27, 2021 6:29 AM
Nov 2019
LegionCrow said:
The issue at hand might be bad storytelling and frustrated expectations.

Some anime can pull off sexualizing characters if that's not the entire focus of the anime. If they can't pull that off, it seems like a cheap strategy to get views, making it detrimental.

And a few apples spoil the bunch. All you need is contact with a single anime that does that cheap trick and trauma installs itself in your brain.

I remember loving High School of The Dead for having the Romero approach to zombies, engaging survival activities, etc... Then the first few episodes ended and they simply left school... and there was some weird ballistic boobies? Also something about being peed on by a middle schooler...?!!! Then when they reached living together with a naked samurai girl on an apron I quit because the plot was never going to develop further from that.

Point is I might have missed the best storytelling ever (maybe? past that point...?) because the anime was too focused on fan-servicing to deliver what it promised: a good zombie flick with Japanese high-schoolers (just thinking about this concept makes me poop my pants in excitement).

And that actually pushed me off some good titles, because they would also focus on sexualization to a boiling point. It took me till last week to watch Tenkū Shinpan which was actually good entertainment. Nothing masterpiece material. But solid entertainment.

I actually agree with you on this.
Sometimes shows with potential just mess up by oversexualizing characters and practically ignoring any form of plot. Although I think Highschool of the Dead was pretty good, the main story could have been portrayed at least 5x better if the budget was not blown on jiggly boobs.

I think complaining about it IS valid once it affects the actual story telling otherwise it's bless.
Feb 27, 2021 6:35 AM

Apr 2019
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
only westerners complain about sexy woman. they are not allowed an opinion so no one cares.
Says who? Of course there is a growing opposition against objectification of females and unequal roles in society and media in Japan as well. They are pretty much still stuck in the 1950s in that area but catching up quickly. It would be nice if somebody with extremist positions like yourself would not pose as a speaker for "the west" in sweeping nonsense statements about other cultures.

EDIT PS: This is not about your and my position towards sexualization and objectification. I, for one, watched my share of anime of that type and enjoy it occasionally. The point you are randomly abusing this topic to spread extremist ideology and objective falsehoods.

inimFeb 27, 2021 7:07 AM

Feb 27, 2021 6:36 AM

Sep 2018
I agree with you completely. No matter how busty or flat a anime character is they usually get hentai either way.
Feb 27, 2021 6:56 AM

Nov 2016
At this point I have stopped trying to understand these people just few weeks ago everyone were gushing about the tall vampire lady from the upcoming RE game yet nobody bathed an eye at it.
Feb 27, 2021 7:26 AM
Nov 2013
I disagree with the OP. Haikyuu and Levi are not sexualized male character examples, fans finding them sexy is not sexualize them. That sexualization must come from the author side. Even showing them naked is not necessarily sexualizing them. But exagerated body proportions, panty shots and weird camera angles, absurd noises and faces, ridiculous outfits compared to the same show/game male counterparts. You don't get boxer shots from Levi, or the camera change angles to show you his ass.

Of course exists male examples like Free but even there is light in comparison. It is greatly unbalanced. The maximum expression of this can be seen in the harems vs "reverse harems"

Is not a SJW thing (absurd term) I understand that a lot of people like that stuff and is not bad that you enjoy it but that people must understand that with time morals change and more and more people are going to start feeling uncomfortable with this kind of stuff and "complain" (express their opinions) especially with anime becoming mainstream.

In my country 15 years ago it was normal to make jokes about gays or racist jokes and a lot of people laughted. Today most people will find it disgusting.

But rest easy you will have big bouncing boobs and panty shots for a while.
VikVik89Feb 27, 2021 7:31 AM
Feb 27, 2021 7:30 AM

Nov 2019
Rule 34 on the Internet: If something exists, there should be porn of it.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Feb 27, 2021 7:32 AM

Jun 2012
SgtBaitMan said:

Correction: If something exists, there should will be porn of it.
Feb 27, 2021 7:57 AM
Feb 2021
Glordit said:
SgtBaitMan said:

*Shivers* Dora... The Explorer...?
EDIT: I'M NOT GOOGLING THAT.
LegionCrowFeb 27, 2021 8:14 AM
Feb 27, 2021 8:14 AM
Feb 2021
I'm all about validating all complaining tho. No matter how alien it feels like, it helps get a feel of the fanbase/consumers. In the end of the day, everyone can complain about what they want, as long as its honest complaints (no trolling for attention).

That complaining might go places. People can change their future work if they see backlash from a certain point/subject/plot idea in certain works. And that backlash won't seem to "come out of nowhere" if people are pretty honest about how they feel.

Trying to hide complaints to save face on an anime you like will just be detrimental to future works.
Feb 27, 2021 9:59 AM

Nov 2019
Glordit said:
SgtBaitMan said:

Well should also means that there will be, won't they?
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Feb 27, 2021 9:13 PM

Jan 2010
Seiya said:
CrimsonMidnight said:

Well, I'm not attracted to naked people. I only care about faces and hairsyles. I don't mind seeing someone in a sexy outfit, but if they take their clothes off, I get turned off. Am I the only person like this?

ahahahaha i see, that's quite interesting!

not sure if you are the only one, probably not, the world is a big place, there are all kind of ppl out there xD

tho I'm too, prefer clothed over naked -the more clothing the better-, this, however doesn't cancel my love for big boobs and muscles lol. But yeah, topless men always a feast to my eyes, so it'd be great if the obligatory beach episode also feature topless muscled men :> this is another reason why I love shounen :D muscles, torn clothes, and all that yumm.

but ofc face and hairstyle also matter a lot, like, no offense to saitama fans but i cannot take his face and hair (or lack of it lmao) seriously, even tho his body is sexy lol.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Would you be surprised if someone said your favorite anime was the greatest anime of all time? ( 1 2 )

MeanMrMusician - Mar 28

57 by shiro-seishun »»
1 minute ago

» Skibidi toilet piece part 2 (the sequel)

Cyborgium - 3 hours ago

3 by Spunkert »»
1 minute ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

221 by PurplePants »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - Apr 24

30 by LenRea »»
6 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

65 by luckyrune »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.