Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 10, 2020 12:26 PM

Jul 2019
was on dord. speaking to someone, and discussion arises. basically focuses on the irony of anime elitism.

when I say FMAB, AOT or Re:Zero, those anime might not strike you as "elitist anime". maybe The Rose of Versailles, Legend of the Galactic Heroes or Tatami Galaxy would suit the title more. but the toxic part of these shounen anime fanbases would suggest otherwise.

toxic shounen fans tend to follow every stereotype of your typical elitist, and it is quite ironic really.
- accepting no opinion that doesn't follow their own
- proceeds to talk about your "shit taste"
- defends their anime with some by bruh moment means
- and other things I haven't said here

so what do you think? are toxic shounen/mainstream fans anime elitists? or maybe you would use a different word to describe them.
Dec 10, 2020 12:28 PM

Nov 2008
Oh that's easy 8D

Lump them all together and call them "asshole anime fans". xD

Elitists, shounen-tards, they ALL act the same. The irony is too strong.

Dec 10, 2020 12:31 PM

Oct 2018
Jeez, I'm fucked up.

I'm both an elitist and shounentard, especially a Narutard.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Dec 10, 2020 12:31 PM

Apr 2020
both of them say they dont care about scores, but some of them really do.
they are practically the same.
but people like their respective genres, so what are others supposed to do about it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 10, 2020 12:34 PM
May 2020
Ignore, else they're happy for getting insulted
Dec 10, 2020 12:34 PM

Jun 2016
I think the "people who actively spend time talking about the superiority of their taste" definition is better than the more common "guys who like lotgh and texhnolyze" definition. I think it's about atitude and not about liking certain anime the community has decided to dub "elitist".
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Dec 10, 2020 12:35 PM

Dec 2018
I’d say an elitist is just someone who is an asshole due to differentiating opinion. What kind of anime you like, how much you’ve seen, and how long you’ve been watching don’t contribute to whether you’re an elitist or not.
Dec 10, 2020 12:46 PM

Sep 2014
Uh? Elitism isn't related to what you like. And yes shounen fans tend to be the most elitist people of the community. Not all of them of course.
Dec 10, 2020 12:47 PM

Dec 2018
it's very true brother ..

but I feel that this has diminished a little, although for the average otaku that does not consume much of the media these titles are the "supreme sum of elitism"
Dec 10, 2020 12:52 PM
Apr 2020
I feel like popular shounen shows like SNK, KNY and Haikyuu all have their fair share of critics and I'm sure a lot of their fans, while desperately trying to defend the show, deep inside acknolwedge it's defects.

...this doesn't really apply for hxh fans, though. those people are as elitist as they get and they're RABID
Dec 10, 2020 12:57 PM

Oct 2010
I could talk about my fav anime like that, this word "elitism" gained a weird connotation, in real world it means something else but for the anime community it means "people that like logh-like shows and insult you for liking something else".
apparently you have t defend a show in a certain way to be cataloged an "elitist"
Dec 10, 2020 12:58 PM

Sep 2018
I would say all of those elitist series are great!
Dec 10, 2020 1:14 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Shounen elitists are a peculiar species, it's interesting to see them try to claim the high ground by writing essays on the blatantly obvious.
Dec 10, 2020 1:31 PM

Oct 2012
I don't recognize elitist anime or elitist anime fan bases. The behavior you note stems from certain individuals, period, and until someone shows me an objective study that isn't just anecdotal experience and confirmation bias that fans of a particular show are more inclined to being a fanboy, then all this seem very arbitrary.

I think the type of person you speak of are not "elitists", but people who feel outspoken and insecure, marginalized in whatever real life community they participate in, so they turn to anime for not only entertainment, but literally to attach their identity to something. They lash out at people who they perceive attack their identity.

You see this throughout every medium, the type of people who say Kpop, Re:Zero, Machine Gun Kelly, Eminem, Shawn Mendes, Justin Bieber, et. al. "saved their lives". And so any criticism of the art becomes like a criticism of their life. Any flaw from the anime become a flaw of their own person. The difference between opinions and factual assertions start to lack meaning when injury is at stake, so they project all the negativity back out towards the other.

In psychological terms, this is called splitting and projective identification (https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-splitting-425210)

And it applies to every "elitist"/"fanboy" outlined here. There's no use in even trying to categorize shounen or not.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 10, 2020 1:40 PM
Jul 2018
Jesus, the word elitism has gone down the drain. It literally doesn't mean what it's supposed to mean anymore.

@katsucats You really find a way to lump Re:ZERO in whatever you're saying. Can't blame you, I used to do the same.
Dec 10, 2020 1:44 PM

Jan 2008
The only elitist I don't particularly like are those who insist that you watch a show they think it's brilliant when you say you don't want to.

I tell people I found Attack on Titan OK but not enough to watch beyond season 1 and yet I constantly getting told I'm missing out or it's the best anime and I MUST watch it. No. If I say I'm not interested, please respect that.

Dec 10, 2020 1:49 PM
Jul 2018
At this point just hearing the terms "elitism" and "shit taste" just make me cringe tbh.
Dec 10, 2020 1:52 PM

Jan 2009
Dec 10, 2020 1:53 PM

Apr 2016
To add onto the discussion in a public manner similar to when I was having the convo with OP, it's definitely not just some shounen fans that exhibit these trait since a lot of mainstream anime fans to do this in general and frankly, yeah, frankly it's better to just call people a snobbish asshole than an elitist at this point cuz the word has become a dead buzzword. Them and 2000s style "I only watch INTELLECTUAL anime like Ergo Proxy, not that Naruto shit" are all basically assholes and should be treated as such. Shitting on people for presenting an opinion on entertainment media (unless it's a legitimately harmful one) is stupid and douchey, whether they're reviewing or just talking about a show. Some people just go BALLISTIC about that. They're all douchebags at the end of the day. It's just that some are assholes to different people. Some are assholes to other fans or fans of other mainstream properties.

Some are assholes towards me and my people because they see a sub-6 on our profile or a 5-below on a review and they get incredibly nasty and reactionary over it.

Also "elitist anime" is a vomit-inducing designation and no one should ever partake in it. The 2000s elitist boogeyman stereotype is largely outdated nowadays anyway and those people aren't as prevalent or vocal as they were in....the 2000s.
CodeBlazeFateDec 10, 2020 2:08 PM
Dec 10, 2020 1:56 PM

Sep 2020
"YOU'RE DUMB BECAUSE YOU DONT WATCH THE SAME KIDS CARTOON SHOWS AS MEEE!!!!!!!!!!"
Dec 10, 2020 2:00 PM

Feb 2020
NextUniverse said:
was on dord. speaking to someone, and discussion arises. basically focuses on the irony of anime elitism.

when I say FMAB, AOT or Re:Zero, those anime might not strike you as "elitist anime". maybe The Rose of Versailles, Legend of the Galactic Heroes or Tatami Galaxy would suit the title more. but the toxic part of these shounen anime fanbases would suggest otherwise.

toxic shounen fans tend to follow every stereotype of your typical elitist, and it is quite ironic really.

so what do you think? are toxic shounen/mainstream fans anime elitists? or maybe you would use a different word to describe them.

The entire thing is a reverse psychology statement. The only thing ironical right is this discussion.
Every person has their own opinion. They wont be talked in calling other anime are better than there own taste (aka elite). Just blaming everything on shonen is basically trying to be elitists from sidelines.
Pretty sure most conversation in Mal refers seinen or old content as elite anime instead of shonen. Of course a shonen fan(me included) won't stand of such baseless assumption. That doesnt mean you are wrong that only means everyone has there own standards for elite anime. So why are u being bugged by that?
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Dec 10, 2020 2:03 PM

Apr 2016
Adampk said:
NextUniverse said:

The entire thing is a reverse psychology statement. The only thing ironical right is this discussion.
Every person has their own opinion. They wont be talked in calling other anime are better than there own taste (aka elite). Just blaming everything on shonen is basically trying to be elitists from sidelines.
Pretty sure most conversation in Mal refers seinen or old content as elite anime instead of shonen. Of course a shonen fan(me included) won't stand of such baseless assumption. That doesnt mean you are wrong that only means everyone has there own standards for elite anime. So why are u being bugged by that?
I don't think the topic was presented 100% clearly but he's not saying shounen fans in general exhibit these tendencies. However, some of them and some mainstream fans are very much this, either towards fans of other mainstream properties, or towards reviewers/anyone who criticizes a certain anime. The idea that "x show is elite/elitist show" is utterly asinine and petty just for the sake of an "us vs them" mentality.

There's a reason OP said "toxic shounen fans" and not "snounen fans" though. They keyword here is "toxic" cuz damn, some people who cry "muh elitist" are hella toxic and are basically exactly what they decry.
Dec 10, 2020 2:08 PM

Dec 2018
You are wrong, AOT after final season will be elitists anime and we gonna drink tea together with LOGH and Monster fans laughing of other anime fans. But not some cheap tea, expensive one because we are elite.
Dec 10, 2020 2:11 PM

Jan 2016
They'll kick me out of the cool clubs if I don't watch SnK, RZ, and RoV, eh? Help.
Dec 10, 2020 2:11 PM

May 2013
Oh dear, its just anime really. I dont have time to involve myself with these people so i really have no experience with Interacting with one because other than anime I have my life to live. For me, i do love anime and i do have special animes that i held close to my heart and thats about it. Since its my gateway to stress and all shot there is to my life, i dont plan on tainting my anime world with toxic people (theres plenty of them already to deal with in the world out there) so what i can say is i dont understand it why it bothers so much, but just have fun and ignore people treating you like trash. If i find friends through anime thats wonderful! But if it becomes toxic let go and ignore.

Dec 10, 2020 2:12 PM

Oct 2012
WNchad said:
Jesus, the word elitism has gone down the drain. It literally doesn't mean what it's supposed to mean anymore.

@katsucats You really find a way to lump Re:ZERO in whatever you're saying. Can't blame you, I used to do the same.
I don't have anything particularly against Re:Zero. Call it recency bias. If people start talking about Fate/Zero again, that's what I 'd start citing in my examples.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 10, 2020 2:24 PM

Feb 2020
CodeBlazeFate said:
Adampk said:

I don't think the topic was presented 100% clearly but he's not saying shounen fans in general exhibit these tendencies. However, some of them and some mainstream fans are very much this, either towards fans of other mainstream properties, or towards reviewers/anyone who criticizes a certain anime. The idea that "x show is elite/elitist show" is utterly asinine and petty just for the sake of an "us vs them" mentality.

There's a reason OP said "toxic shounen fans" and not "snounen fans" though. They keyword here is "toxic" cuz damn, some people who cry "muh elitist" are hella toxic and are basically exactly what they decry.

Being toxic is bad. But Shonen fans aren't the only ones who can be toxic. So...
I hope just as u said the topic being not presented clearly be case here...
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Dec 10, 2020 2:27 PM

Jun 2015
An elitist shaming thread, that's new.
Dec 10, 2020 2:27 PM

Jun 2020
No, I'm not an elitist. Why would you assume I'm an elitist? Stfu
This anime shit is addictive
Dec 10, 2020 2:41 PM
Mar 2019
eistod said:
AoT 100 % strikes me as an elitist anime..

Anime doesn't equal elitism, it's people thinking they are/their taste is better than someone else.

It's the same thing with people like myself who prefer dub over sub, i've watched subbed anime but i prefer dubbed, that's just how i like it. What gives people so much pleasure about giving people grief for what they like?
Dec 10, 2020 2:47 PM

Nov 2016
I think that according to these criterias we should just call all of society elitist and be done with it.
Dec 10, 2020 2:48 PM

May 2018
spectrojan said:
Why would you assume I'm an elitist?

Your avatar wearing fedora is a sign of elit...waiiit.
Dec 10, 2020 2:49 PM

Apr 2017
AxeMeNicely said:
eistod said:
AoT 100 % strikes me as an elitist anime..

Anime doesn't equal elitism, it's people thinking they are/their taste is better than someone else.

It's the same thing with people like myself who prefer dub over sub, i've watched subbed anime but i prefer dubbed, that's just how i like it. What gives people so much pleasure about giving people grief for what they like?

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Even if you like dub and I like sub doesn't mean we can't see eye to eye. What's with all the eye poking?

Dec 10, 2020 2:51 PM
Mar 2019
AnimeAnima said:
AxeMeNicely said:

Even if you like dub and I like sub doesn't mean we can't see eye to eye. What's with all the eye poking?

As negative as this may sound i expected someone to quote me with an insult to dubbed anime.

I like you sir. My eye itches now thanks.
Dec 10, 2020 2:53 PM

Jul 2019
Jakuzure_Nonon said:
I feel like popular shounen shows like SNK, KNY and Haikyuu all have their fair share of critics and I'm sure a lot of their fans, while desperately trying to defend the show, deep inside acknolwedge it's defects.
I don't think you have given the best examples tbh, especially AOT... I mean, look at the forums and reviews the lastest season.

But your point is valid. And to be fair, only a small percentage of people are extremely toxic as you have mentioned. It isn't so bad on the surface of things

----
CodeBlazeFate said:
To add onto the discussion in a public manner similar to when I was having the convo with OP, it's definitely not just some shounen fans that exhibit these trait since a lot of mainstream anime fans to do this in general and frankly, yeah, frankly it's better to just call people a snobbish asshole than an elitist at this point cuz the word has become a dead buzzword. Them and 2000s style "I only watch INTELLECTUAL anime like Ergo Proxy, not that Naruto shit" are all basically assholes and should be treated as such. Shitting on people for presenting an opinion on entertainment media (unless it's a legitimately harmful one) is stupid and douchey, whether they're reviewing or just talking about a show. Some people just go BALLISTIC about that. They're all douchebags at the end of the day. It's just that some are assholes to different people. Some are assholes to other fans or fans of other mainstream properties.

Some are assholes towards me and my people because they see a sub-6 on our profile or a 5-below on a review and they get incredibly nasty and reactionary over it.

Also "elitist anime" is a vomit-inducing designation and no one should ever partake in it. The 2000s elitist boogeyman stereotype is largely outdated nowadays anyway and those people aren't as prevalent or vocal as they were in....the 2000s.
yeah this does better job at explaining the point. They are just all assholes the anime community has seen frequently time and time again.

----
Catalano said:
I could talk about my fav anime like that, this word "elitism" gained a weird connotation, in real world it means something else but for the anime community it means "people that like logh-like shows and insult you for liking something else".
apparently you have t defend a show in a certain way to be cataloged an "elitist"
not surprised with how you would define elitism, part of the reason why this thread came to be.
Dec 10, 2020 3:02 PM

Apr 2017
AxeMeNicely said:
AnimeAnima said:

As negative as this may sound i expected someone to quote me with an insult to dubbed anime.

I like you sir. My eye itches now thanks.

Lucky my aging anti-dub bias didn't influence my post :p
Have a good day šŸ˜€

Dec 10, 2020 3:43 PM

Apr 2020
I still don't know what "elitist" means, perhaps someone can educate me on that matter.....

beep boop bop pow
Dec 10, 2020 4:04 PM
Apr 2020
NextUniverse said:
Jakuzure_Nonon said:
I don't think you have given the best examples tbh, especially AOT... I mean, look at the forums and reviews the lastest season.

But your point is valid. And to be fair, only a small percentage of people are extremely toxic as you have mentioned. It isn't so bad on the surface of things

Yeah, okay, maybe snk fans are a little extreme in terms of denial but i genuinely believe they deep inside know the series became shit after the uprising arc
Dec 10, 2020 8:50 PM
Jul 2020
That would be me. Except, I unironically look down on others opinions before even laying my eyes on they're spewing myself, lol.
Dec 10, 2020 8:52 PM

Jul 2020
Wow, you basically described a friend of mine right there. They are so stale to have a conversation with as they are so ignorant.
Dec 10, 2020 8:53 PM

Aug 2017
Shouldn't really care about anyone's opinions except your own cause at the end of the day you decide what you like it or not cause I know damn well some of the people hating on SAO or SNK are liking it behind the scenes while saying shit like it's bad and watching it secretly.
Dec 10, 2020 8:55 PM

Jul 2020
Chiibi said:
Oh that's easy 8D

Lump them all together and call them "asshole anime fans". xD

Elitists, shounen-tards, they ALL act the same. The irony is too strong.

That's it.Everyone can pack up their bags and go home now.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Dec 10, 2020 10:35 PM

Jul 2015
I'd argue that elitism is more of an attitude than a specific taste in anime, but my favorite anime is lotgh so maybe I'm just trying to not be lumped in with the snobbish fans of the series.
Nov 21, 2021 7:03 PM

Sep 2020
They are just fanboys. In order to be elitists, they need to watch anime with a critical view and don't be close minded.

More topics from this board

» Do you enjoy talking about anime you dislike?

Catalano - 4 minutes ago

4 by Serafos »»
44 seconds ago

» How far are you willing to forgive anime for its obvious (to you) disadvantages?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

27 by RobertBobert »»
46 seconds ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - Yesterday

68 by shiro-seishun »»
53 seconds ago

» Anime that reignited your passion for watching

Cammell - 1 hour ago

8 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » anime is trash and so am i

deg - 19 minutes ago

6 by rho34 »»
9 minutes ago
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.