Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 30, 2020 6:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, Kiroranke's storytelling about his past is interesting. If only all family can live in peace.

Tbh, this felt like a really important episode that explores storytelling about life outside of the battlefield. Life just never seems easy for anyone in this show. On the other hand, we also got some action in the form of a shootout. All those bodies falling to the floor...

Nov 30, 2020 8:36 AM
Oct 2016
That episode was crazy!! The twist ending holy hell!! Tsurumi was Souichi the whole time?!?!? Well that begins to explain how he's so twisted up by the time we meet him, along with his disliking of the Japanese government. That was nuts! Did not see that coming at all. Still shocked by that. We did learn a lot this episode about Wilk and young Kiroranke along with Sofia how they operated back in the day. Relatively peaceful episode, until the end, with them just learning Japanese to be able to live over there after their infiltration. The three did seem to enjoy their time at the photographer's place. Especially Sofia with that little baby, can definitely see why that effected her so much thinking she killed the baby.

I was hoping Fina wouldn't return after seeing that poster but of course that'd be too good to be true. Those secret police being there for Tsurumi all along was crazy. Wilk, Kiroranke and Sofia didn't even have to start blasting it just went sideways so fast. Glad that modern Kiroranke told Asirpa that story so we could learn more about the past he went through with Wilk and Sofia. Just gotta bust her out and run across the ice.
Nov 30, 2020 8:48 AM
Sep 2015
I like how characters' younger forms are so hot, like Tsurumi, but I've to say that there's too much story going on here, can we get back to "Show, don't tell"? principle?
Nov 30, 2020 8:49 AM

Jul 2017
The rescue mission of Sofia in Ako Prison commences for Asirpa's group, while Sugimoto's group are trailing them from behind.

A Russian photographer studio's infiltration from Kiroranke's past, super interesting to add onto Golden Kamuy's world-building lore. Russians teaching Japanese to Russians...POOP!, and evenutally the assassination of the Russian Emperor by Wilk.

No wonder it was revolutionary, it was mere politics that converted people into revolutionaries to fight against the Russian Empire's whims of "high figures". Even roping the studio photographer Japanese spy Hasegawa into this anti-government movement, the Russians being completely fooled and his wife and newborn child lost in the gunfire, truly wasted when you turn and go back to where you come from.

Out of love, Sofia stayed back while Wilk and young Kiroranke moved on was one moment of regret.
But Hasegawa all along...was TSURUMI...WHAT!? HOLY SHIT, WHAT A TWIST.
KANLen09Nov 30, 2020 8:52 AM
Nov 30, 2020 8:51 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Omg that end of episode when he said that he's Tsurumi Tokushirou... it was absolutely great once again, I really didn't expect something like this
Nov 30, 2020 9:03 AM

Sep 2019
Wtf, I didn’t expect that plot twist. The guy who taught japanese to Wilk was TSURUMI, that caught me off guard and I’m still shocked. Great episode.
Nov 30, 2020 10:00 AM

Jun 2009
The flashback was far better in the manga. Here it felt like a big infodump.

Anyone noticed Finas missing finger in the last scene?
Nov 30, 2020 10:40 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Been waiting eagerly to seeing that big reveal at the end and it did not disappoint.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 30, 2020 10:40 AM

Dec 2009
That was a shocking twist at the end!! What a small world!

And a question: So Wilk, Kiroranke and Sofia were approximately of similar age as I see from the reminiscing scenes. But. How come that the present Kiroranke is still a sexy guy, while Sofia is an old hag? Or did I miss out on something?
Nov 30, 2020 10:41 AM

Oct 2017
Bruh!!! That was Tsurumi?

Welp that was quite depressing but a rock solid episode with some great plot twists.
Nov 30, 2020 10:53 AM
Apr 2015
Chiezuru said:

End scene better in anime for me
Nov 30, 2020 10:54 AM
Apr 2015
Chiezuru said:

I don't agree
End scene was better in anime
Nov 30, 2020 11:43 AM

Feb 2018
Yes! This was THE episode I was eagerly waiting to be adapted.
Nov 30, 2020 11:55 AM

May 2018
Didn't liked the twist reveal, kind of forced.
It would make more sense to me if he was just some spy and nothing more.
Nov 30, 2020 11:57 AM

Feb 2015
Wow did not see that twist at the end. Loved the season so far. Have to say I'm looking forward to Aspira and Sugimoto reuniting, I've missed the banter between them.
Nov 30, 2020 12:03 PM

Nov 2018
damn, everything that's going on in this series surprised me. gotta hit the manga after this season!
Nov 30, 2020 12:24 PM

Apr 2015
That was quite a tragic story, I can't blame Sofia for feeling that she was responsible for that baby's death, even if there was a chance it wasn't her shot that killed it. Can't wait to see them break her out of jail and reunite.

Holy shit that twist at the end, that was so unexpected!
Nov 30, 2020 12:27 PM

Aug 2013
Didn't expect the twist at the end with that guy being Tsurumi. Really unexpected.

I can't wait to see how Kiroranke and the rest will break Sofia out of prison.

Nov 30, 2020 12:31 PM

Feb 2014
Man, this episode was brutal and also rather sad, too.

We get a good insight into the past of Wilk, Kiroranke and Sofia, after their assassination of the Russian Emperor, which led them to a photographer's house, where they met Hasegawa, his wife and their baby.

While it was nice of Hasegawa to let the trio stay for a while, it wasn't long before the Russian police caught up. Although Hasegawa being a Japanese spy meant that he was prepared in terms of firepower, which was helpful, things took a depressing turn when Sofia accidentally shot Hasegawa's wife AND baby by complete mistake, thinking it was another policeman behind the tree.

You can see how much it hurt Sofia, which led to her staying in Russia rather than follow Wilk and Kiroranke to Hokkaido. It's only now in the present that the letter she received confirmed that Wilk was dead, which left her very upset.

However, I wasn't expecting the excellent plot twist at the end of the episode. Just before she died, Hasegawa's wife asked him who he really was and he told her his name was Tsurumi. That left me speechless for a while, just letting that fact sink into my brain. He then placed the lifeless body of his wife and baby in the building before setting it ablaze before walking off, with one of the most menacing faces I've seen this year. No wonder he went bloody crazy later on into the present story.

Not many episodes left now, so I'm praying that Asirpa and Sugimoto can be reunited again soon. =)
Nov 30, 2020 1:20 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
We got some more backstory involving Kiroranke, Wilk, and Sofia being on the run after the assassination of the Russian Czar. They meet up with Hasegawa and decided to stay at his place while Hasegawa teaches them Japanese. Turns out that Hasegawa was a Japanese spy and the Russian police have already tracked them down. They were able fight off the Russian police but Sofia ended up shooting Hasegawa's wife and baby by accident and the trio that was on the run went their separate ways.

The plot thickens when Hasegawa is revealed to be none other than Tsurumi and proceeded to leave his dead wife and baby in burning building, getting rid of any evidence that he was actually there.
Nov 30, 2020 1:39 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Another amazing history surrounding Sofia and his men resemblance at a core of Meiji restoration's explanations from Hasegawa. That photo, looked so great!

The liberation effort for Sofia and her men continued, when Sugimoto and his crews finally found Asirpa's trail to the right way. There was a chance they will met in Ako, so another Abashiri ending had a chance to be happening.

Well, the history from Kiroranke surely quite emotional. Its resolved surround their emotion as a revolutionary, but still kept their humanism in general. Especially with Sofia after she was facing against what happened at Hasegawa's home tragedy. As a kind noble of russian, that wanted to lifted up her men and got rid of a bad emperor (already killed him), its really really a depressing situations for her. So, thats the reason why Sofia insist for not joined the band, made everything sounds like a nice fate in the future. If only Sofia decided to join, there was no Asirpa, no Sugimoto, and then had no Golden Kamuy story at all. Good point there, Kiroranke xd.

That revelations of Hasegawa, tho, his identity was a shocking therapy for me. Thats how he had that kind of information related to Kiroranke at the second season, and the borderline event too. He was already there, even before Russo-Japaness war. Interesting. Still, Poor her wife's there, at least she deserved that kind of information before she joined in her baby at the afterlife place.

At the end, its understandable that he was looked so differently from what i see nowadays, Maybe its just a reflection after what happened there. Another justification for him. A great transformation from a Japanese spy at Russia, tried to bring a liberty at his own hands, via military approaching. What an amazing ambitions. A mere lonely wolf, at the unknown location with a strange languages. Then evolved to be one of insane being that needed to proves himself to be a better person. Thats what i call as a real madman.

Surely, i must show my condolence again here, before its too late. So, yeah, rip to your first wife and baby, Lieutenant ....
badabassNov 30, 2020 1:53 PM
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Nov 30, 2020 1:42 PM

Jul 2010
Chiezuru said:

OMG, Whaaaat! That is an amazing detail.

I haven't noticed it and I think most people would not notice either. I love how Golden Kamuy puts details here and there and does not care if nobody notices it.
OonokamiNov 30, 2020 1:56 PM
Nov 30, 2020 1:42 PM

May 2015
snowman_builder said:

And a question: So Wilk, Kiroranke and Sofia were approximately of similar age as I see from the reminiscing scenes. But. How come that the present Kiroranke is still a sexy guy, while Sofia is an old hag? Or did I miss out on something?

Probably because she's been in a Siberian prison for ages...Wilk didnt turn out so good either lol
Nov 30, 2020 1:48 PM
Nov 2018
snowman_builder said:

Isn't that normal for many woman in that area? A mix of genetics and some fat rich food. And she is in prison for a while but Kiroranke was keeping his body busy lol
PenteanoNov 30, 2020 2:01 PM
Nov 30, 2020 1:51 PM
Apr 2020
Amazing episode, amazing anime, amazing episode final, amazing ending song, amazing characters. I LOVE GOLDEN KAMUYYYYYY
Nov 30, 2020 2:00 PM

Feb 2016
Nice backstory, I can't believe that guy hide a MACHINE GUN inside a camera xDDDD. Damn, that was pretty rough, poor Sofia, must have been really tough to live through all that, and now she's being revealed that Wilk is dead... Oof. That twist at the end tho, didn't expect it at all, and gives so much to Tsurumi's character, I really need a Tsurumi only episode now.

alshu said:

You serious? it wouldn't have made sense if it was only a spy and nothing more, adding a random spy just to teach Wilk and Co Japanese would have been an awful disposable plot device with no purpose.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Nov 30, 2020 2:05 PM

May 2018
AdolZeppeli said:
would have been an awful disposable plot device with no purpose.

Naaah it would worked for me.
Now we are at Solo a Star Wars Story territory...
Nov 30, 2020 2:49 PM

Apr 2020
love how this show handles flashbacks to improve the characters and the background and is comfortable with the pace of the story's progress

but migosh, that plot twist *o.O

every week at least one thing to get tense. and it doesnt disappoint
Nov 30, 2020 3:03 PM

Sep 2018
Finally, Tsurumi's backstory.

Tsurumi was a normal soldier, until he found genuine happiness in his life with his wife and daughter, the people he loved the most in his life. Then they were killed because the Russians discovered he was a spy. Tsurumi undoubtedly blamed himself for their deaths, before shifting the blame to the Japanese military for sending him in that mission in the first place. This was not only the start of his feud, but also the beginning of his slip into madness.

The suicidal attack in the Siege of Port Arthur made him despise the Military even more, as they didn't care about the soldiers' lives and only about their own glory. Of course, he also lost his frontal lobe which made him even more deranged than he was, which explains his brutality in the current story.

And this is why I love him so much. Tsurumi has a genuine point behind his beliefs, he's a tragic character who lost so much and if he is the monster that he is today is because of the higher-ups' neglect and selfishness.
Nov 30, 2020 3:22 PM
Oct 2020
I watch it before 5 hours ago and im still shocked 🤯🤯

Tsurumi is legend
Nov 30, 2020 3:27 PM

May 2014
I fucking love GK so much. I'm hella picking the manga after this! I love the characters, comedy, characters and everything. It's one of the more brave stories with gay jokes and even gay characters too. I'm in for the long haul. Thank you studio Geno for doing this show justice and only trying to improve, even if the budget isn't the biggest.

That ending was heartbreaking followed by sheer shock. Tsurumi's VA is as incredible as ever.

SimoneST33 said:
Amazing episode, amazing anime, amazing episode final, amazing ending song, amazing characters. I LOVE GOLDEN KAMUYYYYYY

Your first post just to comment here. Good civ!

Nov 30, 2020 3:38 PM

Mar 2014
The prelude of the ending song is just too good.
Nov 30, 2020 4:26 PM
Nov 2010
KANLen09 said:
]But Hasegawa all along...was TSURUMI...WHAT!? HOLY SHIT, WHAT A TWIST.[/b]

Tell Me About it ...
I Just Froze When He Said His Name
Nov 30, 2020 4:27 PM

Jun 2012
That was a hell of a twist. Tsurumi is a great character.
Shoot first, think never.
Nov 30, 2020 4:48 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
What the fuck!!!!!
Nov 30, 2020 5:03 PM
Apr 2017
Chiezuru said:

i see the finger but i dont quite get this detail i think i forgot something
Nov 30, 2020 5:24 PM

Feb 2016
THIS was the chapter where Tsurumi became my all time fave villain, I love his character sm, he has so many layers behind him. The scene where he holds his dead baby breaks my heart.
The studio did a good job adapting the flashback, ngl.

rcozm said:
Chiezuru said:

i see the finger but i dont quite get this detail i think i forgot something

It's a little detail for something that gets kinda brought up later. You can kinda get the idea in the scene where he holds his baby and then Fina missing her pinky. Her pinky obviously didn't just randomly disappear, so you'd think that he keeps the pinkies of them with him in remembrance of his dead wife and child.
sumchiNov 30, 2020 5:28 PM
Nov 30, 2020 5:57 PM

Apr 2018
Oh my god! That ending alone was better than anything I've watched all season.

And my guess is that it's not a coincidence that Tsurumi taught Wilk and Kiroranke japanese. Probably the fact that he knows about the gold and so many details about everyone is linked to this early encounter. Tsurumi is definitively the most cunning character in this whole series. Nothing is random when he's around.
Nov 30, 2020 6:02 PM

Jan 2011
bruh, the fuck, still think Tsurumi is a great character but now i'm trying to guess how much more hes been involved with everyone else god damn
Nov 30, 2020 6:03 PM

Apr 2020
This episode was heavy with the backstory. But holy fucking shit that twist with Tsurumi being Hasegawa at the end.

I feel for Tsurumi. He fell in love and had a wife and child while he was spying. Now we know why he's become so twisted. I enjoyed how the anime has been using episodes to focus on many of the character's specific back stories. Episodes like this add so much depth.
Nov 30, 2020 6:54 PM

Feb 2013
The "twist" in Majo no Tabitabi ep 9 was super easy to figure out. Had the killer pegged from the get-go.

Now this...THIS is how you hit people with a twist. After that swerve by Ogata in the woods and now this, I just can't get enough. AotS for me.
Nov 30, 2020 6:55 PM

Jan 2017
Okay, this episode deserves a 10/10 for that twist alone.

Also, younger Sofia was beautiful.
*laughs in Dimple*
Nov 30, 2020 7:47 PM

Apr 2015
ButtSlapper said:
The prelude of the ending song is just too good.

Yes! Hunter X Hunter did the same. Makes much more hype for the next episode.
Nov 30, 2020 8:07 PM

Oct 2017
That reveal was huge. I felt it'd have been more dramatic if they'd given at reveal just as the ending credits were starting and then ended the ep. Everything after that reveal was unnecessary
Nov 30, 2020 8:10 PM

Aug 2019
honestly did not see that coming at all holy shit, now that’s how you do a plot twist
Nov 30, 2020 8:17 PM
Apr 2017
alshu said:

not so much why does that answer how Tsurumi knows so much about kiroranke and the way he is going
Nov 30, 2020 8:29 PM
Jul 2017
snowman_builder said:

In the flashback Kiroranke was like 15 which is why Sofia called him kid. Sofia was most likely in her 30s at the time. Why Kiroranke looked like a full grown man at 15, I don’t know XD.
Nov 30, 2020 8:42 PM
Mar 2015
Great back story for this group and Tsurimi
Nov 30, 2020 8:49 PM

Jul 2016
Wow, that twist at the end sure was for free, uh? Totally unexpected but I loved it. It's always nice to know more about Lt. Tsurumi's backgrounds and the way in how he ended up tragically losing both his wife and baby sure explains a lot regarding his mindset and the fact of his personality becoming this "twisted" now in the present.

Honestly, I shouldn't be surprised at this point but damn, another 5/5 episode. GK is always at its best when it comes to backstory episodes and this one with the focus being on Wilk, Kiroranke and Sofia's younger days was just another example of excellent execution. All in all, it was nice to know how their relationship was back then as well as the way in how they ended up parting ways.
I felt particularly bad for Sofia tho. The fact of her accidentally killing Lt. Tsurumi's wife and baby, which led to her decision of giving up on pursuing her happiness as a woman was really sad to see. Not to mention the scene with her finding out that her love, Wilk, was dead.
SouthRzVaNov 30, 2020 9:02 PM
Nov 30, 2020 9:07 PM

Jul 2012
Holy shit that plot twist at the end! Did not see that coming at all!
Great to see more of this backstory.

This show keeps getting better and better!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Golden Kamuy 3rd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2020

110 by Karva1 »»
Mar 20, 1:12 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy 3rd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2020

105 by Karva1 »»
Mar 20, 1:08 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy 3rd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2020

61 by Karva1 »»
Mar 19, 5:02 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy 3rd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2020

50 by Karva1 »»
Mar 19, 4:09 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy 3rd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2020

57 by Karva1 »»
Mar 19, 3:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.