Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 21, 2020 7:04 PM

Jan 2020
I'm planning on writing a novel now , and I want to write a realistic and good heroine . Which female characters should I see ?
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 21, 2020 7:12 PM

Oct 2019
Hmm I guess Sakurajima Mai would be one. Her personality is kind of realistic imo.
Sep 21, 2020 7:13 PM
Jul 2018
View them as people not as waifus. That's all. With their own personality, mindset, backstory, desires and all that makes you a person.
Sep 21, 2020 7:17 PM
Jul 2013
When people grade "waifus" they just look at shallow stuff related to the female character, such as her looks, and how she treats the main character where they self-insert themselves in his place.

Don't write a female character with the intention of making her a waifu, she will fall flat and people who care a bit more about the story other than having a female who blindly follows the MC and supports him while appealing sexually to the viewers, won't like her as much.

You could mix "waifu" characteristics, but taking inspiration from the "waifu culture" is a bad idea IMO, unless you don't want your story to be taken seriously.

Either way, I don't have a specific female in my mind right now, but I do offer you a suggestion, when looking for inspiration regarding females, avoid harems/shounens at all costs. They never know how to write a female well. They just write a mascot with boobs that is supposed to appeal to the male audience for the most part.
ArmadosSep 21, 2020 7:23 PM
Sep 21, 2020 7:20 PM
Jul 2018
That's a hard question. I've chosen a lot of my waifus based on personality, backstory, and attractiveness. I think Kallen Kozuki from Code Geass is a pretty well-written character as far as her role in the series as well as her relationship with Lelouch.
removed-userSep 22, 2020 2:48 PM
Sep 21, 2020 8:09 PM

Oct 2010
Otonashi kyoko is the perfect waifu. Don't know if you are familiar with maison ikkoku but you better check her out.
Sep 21, 2020 8:11 PM
Aug 2018
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
View them as people not as waifus. That's all. With their own personality, mindset, backstory, desires and all that makes you a person.

I tried my best but I wasn't able to do it
Sep 21, 2020 8:12 PM

Aug 2015
Probably Asuka, she is really well written.
Sep 21, 2020 8:14 PM

Feb 2020
You should probably check out Megumi Katou from Saekano or Kyoko Kirigiri from the Danganronpa series.

And, just like the others say, try not to look at them as waifus and rather as a character or even someone you would see in real life.
Sep 21, 2020 8:15 PM
Jul 2020
I would probably pick Mai Sakurajima
Sep 21, 2020 8:16 PM
Jan 2018
Senjougahara hitagi from monogatari series has so many characteristics which make her feel like a real person
Sep 21, 2020 8:17 PM

Nov 2019
Its impossible to determine which is THE most realistically written waifu but if I had to choose one it would be Yamada Ayumi from Honey and clover

Sep 21, 2020 8:17 PM

Jul 2020
Saber fits the bill here. Look no further.

バンの一味
Sep 21, 2020 8:19 PM

Apr 2018
Many people choose waifu for some kind of fetish so I don't think popular characters are a good choice as an example of realistic well written character.
This manga has the most realistically well written female character I've ever found

https://myanimelist.net/manga/16188/Gozen_3-ji_no_Muhouchitai?q=3-goze&cat=manga
Sep 21, 2020 10:05 PM
Apr 2020
Basicallyurdad said:
Senjougahara hitagi from monogatari series has so many characteristics which make her feel like a real person

Like attacking a guy with stationery and stapling his mouth
Sep 21, 2020 10:10 PM

Nov 2019
Pronx said:
Basicallyurdad said:

Like attacking a guy with stationery and stapling his mouth
Completely Normal stuff...........

Sep 21, 2020 11:10 PM

Apr 2019
Faye Valentine from Cowboy bebop is my pick for one of the most realistic anime woman out there. Mima Kirigoe from perfect blue is pretty realistically written as well. Finally I would recommend checking out Ghibli movies as most of Miyazaki female characters are pretty awesome.
Sep 21, 2020 11:16 PM
Jun 2020
Each waifu is realistic if you want it to be.
Sep 21, 2020 11:17 PM
Feb 2019
Any female character that doesn't immedietly thinks of love with the MC can be said to be more realistical. For me, I think their realism depends on when you think "yeah, I could see a person like this in real life aswell", meaning most of the one-dimensional dere girls, dojikko girls, etc. are crossed out, especially when they're over 18 (as in after 18, one would definitely lower that obvious tendency to keep their pride). But again, I have no idea what kind of girls reside in Japan, so it's just my opinion.
HunLeptoSep 21, 2020 11:23 PM
Sep 21, 2020 11:23 PM

Aug 2016
OP: OK guys, do you know some realistic waifus? I need it for my novel.

Everyone who replied: Lmao did you hear something? Yeah me neither.

Katou from Saekano
Nao from Charlotte
People who uses MAL forums are mostly bug people, take their speech with a grain of salt.
Professional Supreme Gentleman - 恋人はあなたが選んだ兄弟です
https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimeElitism/ (AnimeElitism Reddit)
https://discord.gg/4kdGsFG (Dead Discord)
2静か先生88#7307
Sep 21, 2020 11:34 PM

Feb 2013
https://myanimelist.net/character/2169/Konata_Izumi
She is a cute otaku just like me.. This character could not possibly be anymore me. It's me, and nobody can convince me otherwise
Sep 21, 2020 11:46 PM
Jan 2019
"Waifus" are girls that weebs simp over. They don't need to be realistic, people want virtuous, good-looking, or sweet girls to swoon over. Weebs like to self-insert, and thus, even shallow or unrealistic characters make the cut for them.

For writing realistic characters, their personality, backstory, struggles, and development are important. It is better if they are flawed, because 100% angelic characters come off as unrealistic.

Here're some realistic and well written female characters (my opinion obviously):

Apart from this, Studio Ghibli creates realistic female characters, but I don't personally think they are developed that well.
Sep 22, 2020 12:04 AM
Sep 2018
Hanekawa Tsubasa, Sakura Matou and Makise Kurisu come up first when I think about it. Well all of them sure have a lot of problems faced in the past (especially Sakura) but seeing their current state and how they interact with the main character makes you feel something for them (and by something I don't mean pity).
Sep 22, 2020 12:05 AM

Apr 2020
realistic and well written waifu is contradictory
waifus are supposed to be part of escapism fantasy

Sep 22, 2020 12:17 AM

Jun 2020
If there's one show that has well-written female characters, it probs would be the Monogatari series. It was the first show I took seriously with female characteristics, morals, and development.
Sep 22, 2020 12:26 AM

Jun 2016
Ogiso Setsuna from White Album 2 (a visual novel) is the most complex yet realistic character I've ever seen in any japanese fiction.
Sep 22, 2020 12:30 AM

Jun 2016
Sheryl Nome is the best written girl with the best written music.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 22, 2020 4:58 AM

Jul 2013
Gonna level with you here, you can't call a realistic character a waifu since the term means a idealistic character. And idealistic characters can't be realistic.

Sep 22, 2020 2:40 PM

Jun 2017
Dr_Guts said:
Hanekawa Tsubasa, Sakura Matou and Makise Kurisu come up first when I think about it. Well all of them sure have a lot of problems faced in the past (especially Sakura) but seeing their current state and how they interact with the main character makes you feel something for them (and by something I don't mean pity).
This guy definitely knows what he's saying
Sep 22, 2020 2:54 PM

May 2016
A female character that's both waifu and well written? Homura Akemi <3
Also Erza, if it's not for that infinite nakama armor
Sep 22, 2020 3:02 PM

Jan 2020
I'd say Yukino from Oregairu is not too waifu-esque but also a very interesting and appealing character. Yeah, I'd say Oregairu is the most realistic when it comes to emotion, If you want the heroine to be intelligent then Shinomyia from love is war would make some good reference, A troubled girl, Asuka from NGE, A quiet girl, Tenshi from Angel beats, etc..
This is probably the best advice I can give, Good luck on the novel dude.
I don't speak English that much, so please cut me some slack
Sep 22, 2020 3:10 PM

Aug 2018
Chizuru from rental girlfriend is pretty realistic and Misato from NGE. Most people already named the other ones that comes to mind so I'm not gonna repeat what they said.

Maybe Subaru from Mayo-chiki could also be considered kinda realistic.
Sep 22, 2020 3:16 PM

Jul 2017
I don't think there is one that is written like, i feel like that most are written in a way to fall under tropes you wouldn't exactly find irl but most similar to what you are lookin for is probably Mai Sakurajima (minus the being famous part ofc)
Sep 27, 2020 7:15 AM

Mar 2016
There’s no such thing as a perfectly realistic fictional heroine, and getting too close to realism can actually hurt the identity or format of the show, tbh.
Sep 27, 2020 7:25 AM

Mar 2016
Megumi Kato, Mai Sakurajima and Iroha Isski.

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Sep 27, 2020 7:30 AM

May 2009
Guys, remember times when waifu wasn't throwaway word that lost any meaning? Nowadays it's used instead "female character" or "anime girl".
DaCraziGuy said:
Chizuru from rental girlfriend is pretty realistic

Bullshit, if she was realistic she would be a prostitute (since it's outlawed in Japan they working as rental girlfriends too).
Sep 27, 2020 7:32 AM

Nov 2018
Yukino Yukinoshita-Realistic in every way.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Sep 27, 2020 9:02 AM

Aug 2018
bastek66 said:
Guys, remember times when waifu wasn't throwaway word that lost any meaning? Nowadays it's used instead "female character" or "anime girl".
DaCraziGuy said:
Chizuru from rental girlfriend is pretty realistic

Bullshit, if she was realistic she would be a prostitute (since it's outlawed in Japan they working as rental girlfriends too).
I meant her personality, and there are some boderline stuff like "rental girlfriend" in japan. I remember some cafe that have some lap pillow stuff or with kinky stuff similar to that, also the famous hostess bar where a cute girl drinks with you. If I remember correctly, gambling is forbidden but pachinko is allowed despite that... so yeah, they have that kind of boderline stuff there so I can imagine stuff like that could happen. Also, doing stuff like that doesn't mean that she should be a prostitute even though they are pretty close to being one.
Sep 27, 2020 9:17 AM

May 2009
DaCraziGuy said:
I meant her personality, and there are some boderline stuff like "rental girlfriend" in japan. I remember some cafe that have some lap pillow stuff or with kinky stuff similar to that, also the famous hostess bar where a cute girl drinks with you. If I remember correctly, gambling is forbidden but pachinko is allowed despite that... so yeah, they have that kind of boderline stuff there so I can imagine stuff like that could happen. Also, doing stuff like that doesn't mean that she should be a prostitute even though they are pretty close to being one.

Yes, gambling is illegal but things like pachinko or Horse races bets are legal usually due to government stinky hands taking part in it. Same cancer is in my country - gambling is officially illegal so that RDR2 had poker removed or official poker championships are in neighbour country. It's same with whores in Japan, there is always some backdoor, like in that clip from Family Guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPSWQFv9LgU
Sep 27, 2020 9:25 AM

Oct 2017
GalacticMagna said:
Gonna level with you here, you can't call a realistic character a waifu since the term means a idealistic character. And idealistic characters can't be realistic.

Gonna have to second this. The point of a waifu character isn't to be realistic. Or rather... isn't to be typical of the average IRL woman. There's a difference, because there's some very popular waifus whose personalities are very realistic, but not very common. Like, at all.

When people talk about realistic characters, they often mean closest to normal every-day people.

Assuming OP wants a well-written character who is realistic in terms of how they act, and representative of a type of personality found in the real world, though not necessarily commonly found, then...

You know, there's tons of characters that fit this bill. It's pretty much the definition of a good character within any work that takes place in a non-fantasy world... but OK here we go:

All the Clannad girls.
All the Monogatari girls except the lolis who are well written but aren't representative of any real life people.
The main three Fate heroines (though as someone else said, the anime adaptations don't do them justice)
Shouko from Koe no Katachi
All the girls from A Place Further
The main two girls from Yesterday wo Utatte (not really seen as waifus, but very well written, realistic characters)
Rikka from SSSS Gridman
Kaori from Your Lie in April

Those are the ones which stuck out from my 7-10/10s.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Sep 27, 2020 9:32 AM

May 2020
Basicallyurdad said:

nah wym u kaiki is the realistic waifu in monogatari lol hahaha
Sep 27, 2020 9:44 AM

Jul 2014
Dont make a waifu actually attempt to write a female character that has her own goals and quirks that make her unique instead of the typical girl just falling for the MC and following him around like a pet dog.
Sep 27, 2020 12:06 PM
Mar 2013
Hmmm Yui from Oregairu and Aoyama Nanami from Sakurasou comes to mind
Sep 27, 2020 12:15 PM

Jan 2019
What kind of novel are you going to write? A visual novel, a light novel?
Or a written book novel? Because if so, then why would you search for inspiration in anime instead of other books?
Sep 27, 2020 12:16 PM
Jan 2018
Not really into judging wifus(can't even spell)
Some characters that I found realistic.

1) Sakurajima Mai ( Rascals does not dream of bunny girl senpai)

2) Megumi Katou (How to raise a boring girlfriend)

3) Furukawa Nagisa ( Clanned)

Female characters from My teem romantic comedy are really intriguing.
Subjectivity is a joke on MAL. If you implicitly bring in subjectivity in your counter argument, you've already lost the debate. Also this website is a fankid infestation , have pity on those kids by ignoring there quotes as they have absolutely no clue what exactly is going on.
Sep 27, 2020 12:16 PM
Jul 2018
Utena Tenjou most realistic girl in all of anime.
As well as Keiko from Yu Yu Hakusho.
Sep 27, 2020 12:19 PM
Jan 2018
Excalibur_1702 said:
"Waifus" are girls that weebs simp over. They don't need to be realistic, people want virtuous, good-looking, or sweet girls to swoon over. Weebs like to self-insert, and thus, even shallow or unrealistic characters make the cut for them.

For writing realistic characters, their personality, backstory, struggles, and development are important. It is better if they are flawed, because 100% angelic characters come off as unrealistic.

Here're some realistic and well written female characters (my opinion obviously):

Apart from this, Studio Ghibli creates realistic female characters, but I don't personally think they are developed that well.

I appreciate you including Krista.
Subjectivity is a joke on MAL. If you implicitly bring in subjectivity in your counter argument, you've already lost the debate. Also this website is a fankid infestation , have pity on those kids by ignoring there quotes as they have absolutely no clue what exactly is going on.
Sep 27, 2020 12:52 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
@MarcusRomain

Ayy. I'mma give you a huge tip. Focus on relatability of the character, not on how realistic it is. Depending on how the story is written, it should not rely on the logic of our world, but rather, the logic of that world. I get where you're coming from with realism, tho.
I'm gonna try and focus on characterization for this advice. I'm sure you have setting downpacked.

I personally do this; I write the characters before I write the story. I write their backstories, motivations, and literally hundreds of other things about the character until I decide I can put it forward. The thing about introducing so many elements is that you want to give them the best exposition, but not everyone is like me and wants to commit to a story. I also don't like very "linear" stories, but ones that put extra emphasis on the world and give each character importance. Basically, everything has a story arc; Settings, elements and characters. That would be introduction, exposition, and resolution or conclusion.

Remember to create conflicts. If you're looking for this "realism", they've gotta have some sort of struggle. It can be internal, external, or perhaps a mixture of both. These conflicts are part of what create that relatability.

Do you want your character to have a positive, negative or flat story arc? Do you want your character to start with a negative outlook that is changed (Zuko), or a positive outlook that is destroyed (insert example here)? Or does your character know who they are, what they are made of, and have events in the story challenge that unwavering decision that they know who they are with exposition that shows why they came to that conclusion (Monkey D. Luffy)? I believe there are sub-arcs and subversions to this as well, such as a character having a flat story arc which is eventually challenged for the worse (for example, a character that believes or knows their world is a certain way, but the world around them unfolds, and the truth changes them for either a while or forever; or even a rejection of the truth).

Obviously your characters can't relate to everyone, but if you're striving for realism, you should focus on your character being realistic to your story. That is to say, if your character is a rebel living in a futuristic dystopia, what would be a natural decision for them to make on the basis of the story arc that you chose for them, the personality that is presented to them, and the world surrounding them? What is their natural reaction to all of the things surrounding them? Plus, don't forget what are natural human habits. Curiosity, feeling defeat, projection. It's okay to create minor conflicts between characters, as well. Some of this is part of what people mean when they say creating a relatable character over a realistic one (I think). Once you get to a certain point in the story, remember to follow these principles, because when creators write a character into a corner, they often create a deus ex machina; A convention/plot device that saves the character from that corner. If that tool doesn't match the logic of the scenario, don't use it. In fact, I'd say just to let your character crash and burn at that point. It's okay, I get it, sometimes we want out characters to always win or succeed because we like them. But if you want your character to struggle, it's okay to force that character down once you reach such a corner. Let them learn from that experience, instead.

Here's an example (One Piece again). It's natural that Luffy has no fears of breaking into Impel Down, but the others do. We know that Luffy set out to sea because it's what he staked his life on. He's not afraid of death and fully embraces challenge. We know that he wants to be the King of the Pirates on the basis of wanting to be free. It's not like he cares about the rules or tactics of the Government, and after what Luffy staked his life on, he doesn't want to hesitate against something like that. However, we know that he has that hesitation inside of him from Chapter 1, and his story arc is challenged when he loses his friends pre-timeskip. Luffy loses that courage and forgets what he staked his life on, because of the friends he had gained. The writer (Oda) takes care into the fact that Luffy's carelessness can work for either the better or worse; An ultimate human duality. It's not unlikely for humans to base their strengths on the stability of others or external forces, as well.
Another scenario is in Impel Down, when

I know it seems pretty simple to say all of this, but it should never be forgotten that what the characters decide to do follows their logic and the world surrounding them. I'm also just using One Piece as an example, because it's what comes to mind first. I have others I could use, but might as well use this as my main examples.

(damn ADHD; I have so many smarts on this subject but end up forgetting about it when I really need to discuss it.)

Trust me. I take creative writing classes and I've written over 1000 full stories, so I've had a ton of trial-and-error, taking elements that I liked from stories that I disliked (or even loathed) and refining them over and over. Out of those 1000, maybe a dozen stand out, and maybe no more than five that I truly believe are phenomenal. Others are just alright, good-ish, bad-ish or a total pile of shit.

Edit: I'll also add that "muh nakama" is not unrealistic at all. It is not unlikely for people to reach their fullest potential for their friends or family. If their friends, family or even people they must protect have been their motivation from the get-go, it is not unlikely for them to commit their strength to that fight, such as Deku vs. Muscular. For example, in One Piece, Luffy constantly falls the first time when fighting villains, because he doesn't have motivation or meaning. If you know Luffy as a character, he doesn't care about most things, unless it means something he can understand; Something they've staked their lives and passion on, so of course he needs to find that meaning in himself to be motivated. If you don't actually understand what the anime/manga is going for, you won't. If you've ever had friends on this scale, you'd know just how motivational that they can truly be. For example, doing track and field and being motivated to run even faster and pushing yourself beyond limits you've set for yourself is something that I've done before. I also literally exhibit this in real life; I don't participate in physical action unless I have the need or motivation to. When I do... shit gets fucked up for people. Lol. Anyway, if it's momentary, it's totally undestandable.
ChartTopper60Sep 27, 2020 1:38 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 27, 2020 12:55 PM

May 2020
IDK about realistic but they are really one of the best for me❤

For Novel - Sakurajima Mai
For Manga - Tsukasa Yuzaki
My MALoween✟Mansion 2022 Candies :
Sep 29, 2020 7:59 AM
Jul 2020
Probably Asuka from Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 )

Catalano - Apr 25

53 by Lucifrost »»
3 minutes ago

» What if Your Favourite Anime had the Flaws of Your Least Favourite Anime?

APolygons2 - 2 hours ago

16 by FanofAction »»
12 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

36 by LostSpectre »»
15 minutes ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

60 by LostSpectre »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

71 by 23feanor »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.