Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 30, 2020 1:48 PM
Jul 2018
Call it whatever sometimes I've heard it been called hysteria.
Extreme example would be Ataque de nervios or "Puerto Rican syndrome" seems to affect Hispanic women like when they're shouting and screaming and it looks like they're going to have a brain aneurysm.
Or maybe a lesser one is just constant nagging or creating drama instead of having a rational discussion.
There's lots of such portrayal in media and also general banter among men. In my experience men are generally more passive. The only times I see men explode is due to overly internalising problems or suffering la folie circulaire "circular insanity" or folie à double forme "madness in double form". Or from maybe a spouse constantly nagging with no proper communication.

So just wondering if anyone thinks they may have an implicit bias to see men as more cool and collected and women perhaps the opposite.
It's not "wrong" or "right" to have a bias in this context, and it's better to just discuss your general views and what builds around them without assigning the blame that comes from acting according to your bias.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 30, 2020 1:54 PM

Jun 2007
Traditionally, yes, nowadays so many "men" are effeminate and purposefully try to mimic women that it's a lot more mixed now. The opposite is ironically true for women but always has been; a lot of their views are simply based on whatever the guys they like feel, and so they can't really argue properly because they don't know why they hold those views or what those views really mean. So in a debate situation they don't know what to do.
Aug 30, 2020 1:55 PM

Aug 2009
Men can be emotional, irrational and ignorant cunts too.

Everybody is a cunt these days. Here's a cunt. There's a cunt. Every where's a dumb cunt.

Aug 30, 2020 1:57 PM
Feb 2017
In general, yes women do overreact more.
Aug 30, 2020 1:58 PM

Jun 2019
I know about hysteria or "crise de nerfs" (well-studied by psychiatry since Freud), but I have never heard about the expression "folie circulaire" or "folie à double forme", where did you read or hear about those last two terms?
Aug 30, 2020 1:58 PM
Oct 2018
ah shit op you really had to ask this didnt you
time to grab some popcorn i guess

id say that even if it were true men and women both have their own set of emotional problems and traumas that require healing
--
Aug 30, 2020 2:02 PM
Jul 2018
Not to stereotype women or anyone for that matter, but in general women are usually more emotional or abrupt when it comes to reactions (and just in general.)
I mean just thinking about it, I'm sure *most* people who are familiar with both parents can say that their mom did a lot more nagging than their father
Aug 30, 2020 2:17 PM
Jul 2018
simone_eatsdirt said:
Not to stereotype women or anyone for that matter, but in general women are usually more emotional or abrupt when it comes to reactions (and just in general.)
I mean just thinking about it, I'm sure *most* people who are familiar with both parents can say that their mom did a lot more nagging than their father

Because in more traditional families she usually is or might be the one responsible for everything in the household and others sit on their lazy ass doing nothing. You have to see the reasons behind this kind of stereotypes.

I have seen sons of such families moving out and not even knowing how a bank account works or how to cook the simplest meals in the first year or the first few years. They usually live either in a chaotic mess too (not just chaotic but dirty and disgusting, because they have no concept and routine on how to clean on their own) or worse: mommy comes over to help her little boy cleaning and sometimes also with the cooking.
One university friend / my kinda ex boyfriend was like too and I kicked his ass (metaphorically - most times...) to grow the fuck up with 23 years. He said I complain as much as his mom. Then you know why they do lol.
I mean, at least now he knows how live like a fucking adult human being.
But he wasn't the only one. I witnessed this more often.
removed-userAug 30, 2020 2:26 PM
Aug 30, 2020 2:52 PM
Jul 2018
I'll say it's pretty equal. For example, competitive video games are full of men overreacting and freaking out because they got killed in a stupid game.
I wouldn't chop any of this up to gender if it feels like one gender tends to overreact to a specific thing more than another, it's usually a social/environmental reason. Like video games that are competitive, tend to have more men in them from the start which is why men are overrepresented in my example.
And @ _Maneki-Neko_ did a good job explaining the nagging stereotype.
removed-userAug 30, 2020 2:58 PM
Aug 30, 2020 2:57 PM
May 2019
It's a stereotype and just like with all stereotypes it's true for some and not for others. There is no way to prove conclusively which gender overacts more.
“I often wonder why the whole world is so prone to generalise. Generalisations are seldom if ever true and are usually utterly inaccurate.”
― Agatha Christie, Murder at the Vicarage
Aug 30, 2020 2:59 PM

May 2013
I can only speak for myself when I say I know I overreact to literally everything.

That may also be because I am in a state of being extremely hormonal constantly. But if we are talking women I know I dont particularly count, hence why I say I only speak for myself.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Aug 30, 2020 3:20 PM
Jul 2018
Meusnier said:
I know about hysteria or "crise de nerfs" (well-studied by psychiatry since Freud), but I have never heard about the expression "folie circulaire" or "folie à double forme", where did you read or hear about those last two terms?
it's the first conception of a biphasic mental illness causing recurrent oscillations between mania and melancholia, due to the confusion and mysticism around psychosis (which is a term used in the time of Freud as an important label, but has been largely discarded in favour of other terms which are still in flux). anyway, I avoid using the english term "bipolar" because of the associated misconceptions and negative connotations. like every anecdote i come across portrays the person as experiencing euphoric moods and increased productivity or creativity, when it's often not the case. the mania I refer to is agitation and irritability which is still increased psychomotor energy. this can also present in mood incongruence or inappropriate reactions and affective state vs situation at hand.

_Nette_ said:
I can only speak for myself when I say I know I overreact to literally everything.

That may also be because I am in a state of being extremely hormonal constantly. But if we are talking women I know I dont particularly count, hence why I say I only speak for myself.
nah you will probably be the least biased here from your perspective as you are now treated like a female and accordingly so

Peaceful_Critic said:
I'll say it's pretty equal. For example, competitive video games are full of men overreacting and freaking out because they got killed in a stupid game.
I wouldn't chop any of this up to gender if it feels like one gender tends to overreact to a specific thing more than another, it's usually a social/environmental reason. Like video games that are competitive, tend to have more men in them from the start which is why men are overrepresented in my example.
shit I've witnessed some scary gamer rage at small Lan events so that's some manchild type anecdotes.
as for the nagging stereotype, maybe the problem can be in part due to bad communication from the man or even lack thereof. I prefer to look at it from gender perspectives as this is still the current societal norm and most people live with the same unconscious distinction in mind
removed-userAug 30, 2020 3:52 PM
Aug 30, 2020 3:41 PM
Jul 2018
Eh, the women at my workplace are mostly calmer than the men. If there is such a stereotype, I haven't seen it in action. Bring forth the statistics.
Aug 30, 2020 4:21 PM
Jul 2018
@Korishi

I prefer to look at it from gender perspectives as this is still the current societal norm and most people live with the same unconscious distinction in mind

The reason why it is a societal norm has a lot to do with society itself. If you are going to stereotype, it's more helpful to look at it through that lens and not just end with: "women are more emotional" as that can be used for sexist beliefs.

Aug 30, 2020 4:27 PM
Jul 2018
@Peaceful_Critic what? like I said already, I'm not looking for wrong or right, just discussing why this stereotype exists. something like "nagging" could even just be a perceived experience by someone avoiding responsibility. maybe, or maybe not.
Aug 30, 2020 4:52 PM
Jul 2018
Korishi said:
@Peaceful_Critic what? like I said already, I'm not looking for wrong or right, just discussing why this stereotype exists. something like "nagging" could even just be a perceived experience by someone avoiding responsibility. maybe, or maybe not.
I meant that Society affects the way people act and I think that your OP probably shouldn't have just left it at: "women are more emotional imo" with little to no analysis because I'm worried about the ways it can be used.

If you want to discuss the reasons why this stereotype exists, that's fine by me. I have nothing against you personally. I'm just worried about what some people would take away from this thread.
Aug 30, 2020 4:57 PM

Jan 2009
its just traditional gender roles imo like we males grow up being taught to never show emotion as showing emotion is weakness (unless its anger that is considered good for battle) and etc while females do not have that taught to them
Aug 30, 2020 4:59 PM

Apr 2020
Yes, stereotypes exist for a reason, they have some truth in them, otherwise it wouldn't be a stereotype.
Aug 30, 2020 5:05 PM
Jul 2018
I've only had one calm woman the rest of them though... were Procedurally-Generated-overheating-reactors (constantly required a bucket of cold water at the top of their heads).
Aug 30, 2020 5:14 PM
Jul 2018
operationvalkyri said:
Eh, the women at my workplace are mostly calmer than the men. If there is such a stereotype, I haven't seen it in action. Bring forth the statistics.
I found the perfect statistical analysis for you then(https://www.icos.umich.edu/sites/default/files/lecturereadinglists/Leading_with_their_Hearts-Brescoll%20%282016%29%20Leadership%20Quarterly.pdf):

That tackles why you might see women being calmer in the workplace(they have to hold it in more to not get backlash for leadership/workplace roles) and helps OP and others explain why women seem to overreact more in their experiences(they are naturally more perceived that way due to bias and they get backlash for also not being emotional enough as an expectation for women generally).
removed-userAug 30, 2020 5:51 PM
Aug 30, 2020 5:21 PM
Jul 2018
Peaceful_Critic said:

Thanks but I think these moms are kind at fault too. Some even enjoy to pamper their kids, especially sons and think in stereotypes themselves like: "A girl must learn this, but not a boy" or something. Even tho they get mad at their behavior on the other hand.

A guy I knew online was a grown ass young man with 18 years and then he complained: My mom doesn't understand anything! She always shouts that the food is ready when I want to keep playing the game - and then complaining and kinda insulting his mom.
I told him then that I would let him cook for himself at his age, if I were her or that he could just starve, if she cooks and he is that ungrateful lol it's not something that you should take for granted, if she still wants to cook for your grown-man ass.
But these pampered kids (I mean technically he's a grown up and I expect more from a man this age) take everything for granted, of course their mom will not be stand there and smile happily at this behavior in that moment. But many give in too easily as well.
Aug 30, 2020 5:33 PM
Jul 2018
@_Maneki-Neko_

No problem and I agree with everything you wrote in that response as well. Spoiling children too much is a parenting flaw and the mother, as you said, would also be in the wrong for doing so.
Aug 30, 2020 5:42 PM

May 2016
Yes. Woman and men are different. They aren't exactly the same.
Aug 30, 2020 5:45 PM

Apr 2020
have you seen men react to sports...?
Aug 30, 2020 11:08 PM
Jul 2018
Peaceful_Critic said:
operationvalkyri said:
I found the perfect statistical analysis for you then(https://www.icos.umich.edu/sites/default/files/lecturereadinglists/Leading_with_their_Hearts-Brescoll%20%282016%29%20Leadership%20Quarterly.pdf):

That tackles why you might see women being calmer in the workplace(they have to hold it in more to not get backlash for leadership/workplace roles) and helps OP and others explain why women seem to overreact more in their experiences(they are naturally more perceived that way due to bias and they get backlash for also not being emotional enough as an expectation for women generally).
Thank you for sharing the paper. The passages you quoted are telling indeed. It seems biased will always help paint women as weak be they exhibiting traditional female traits or not. I would also be interested in seeing any biological studies of differences of emotion between the two genders and what part hormones actually play.
Aug 30, 2020 11:22 PM

Dec 2016
My Mother is extremely disapproving of my occupation.
She tells me that I will never understand what it feels like to give life.
Only to destroy it.
I told her it was her own fault for being with a reptilian and making me a hybrid half-reptilian.

It is a learned behavior. Men are taught to control and suppress their emotions. It is essential to being a good Tetra Grammaton.

Aug 31, 2020 12:06 AM
Jan 2019
This stereotype goes around constantly,I've heard it mentioned many times in conversations. But I didn't actually experience it myself,so I don't know what to think of it. Or maybe I have,but didn't recognize it.

If anything else,my parents are the opposite. My mom always has to calm my dad down after a fight,and dad is the one nagging and having fits of explosive anger. You can't have a civilized discussion with him. I can't judge by myself either,as I've always been the calm collected one,in comparison to my brother.

How does the opposite look like exactly and in what situations? When women are the ones overreacting.
Aug 31, 2020 12:12 AM
Jul 2018
operationvalkyri said:
Thank you for sharing the paper. The passages you quoted are telling indeed. It seems biased will always help paint women as weak be they exhibiting traditional female traits or not. I would also be interested in seeing any biological studies of differences of emotion between the two genders and what part hormones actually play.
No problem, I actually find statistical analysis like that way more interesting then studies by themselves. Speaking of which here's a study(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5937254/):
Aug 31, 2020 12:55 AM

Jan 2009
There is a condition that used to be called "hysteria", but is nowadays called "histrionic personality disorder". It more often involves girls and women, because

- they are more likely to receive abuse and/or sexual violence and/or unwanted, sexual attention:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1861511

- unlike guys, they are expected to be open about their feelings

More often than not, any extreme over-reaction (excluding common frustrations with losing a game or when stuck in traffic) is the result of either trauma, (sexual) abuse or (parental) neglect

It doesn't have to become a full-fledged Grande Mal attack with the typical Arc de Cercle, but there can be other examples of a conversion disorder for which the symptoms of the inner life are "conversed" in the outside behaviour

But since girls/women are more likely to be treated badly and more likely to acknowledge that, they are more likely to develop a dissociative disorder or at the very least: experience dissociation

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4695775/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3480686/

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/dissociation-and-dissociative-disorders/about-dissociation/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4479361/

Conversion disorder is a condition where mental or emotional crises produce stress that converts to a physical problem. People diagnosed with conversion disorder are not feigning the symptoms; the symptoms are real. Therefore, it is important not to label patients with conversion disorder as manipulative.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/Conversion_disorder

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/The-circular-arc-arc-de-cercle-Paul-Richer-Etudes-cliniques-sur-lhystero-epilepsie_fig6_221926258

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/grand-mal-seizure/symptoms-causes/syc-20363458
NoboruAug 31, 2020 1:59 AM
Aug 31, 2020 2:08 AM

Oct 2010
Speaking from my exp, one time I cut myself and I was bleeding like mad, my mother was almost hysterical but my father was chill, he just called an ambulance, end of story.
But you should see me in front of tv when barça is playing. After the match against bayern I drank a full 6pack and started shouting insults and punching house objects. But I am usualy very calm
Aug 31, 2020 3:11 AM

Aug 2020
Yes women are on average more emotional and less logical than men and are prone to overreact. Not to say that there are no effeminate men that are just as emotional if not more than women especially in this day and age.

“There is great satisfaction in fighting for the sake of gaining power, but it’s joyless to fight for the sake of maintaining it.”
– Reinhard Von Lohengramm
Aug 31, 2020 3:12 AM
Jul 2018
Peaceful_Critic said:
Korishi said:
I meant that Society affects the way people act and I think that your OP probably shouldn't have just left it at: "women are more emotional imo" with little to no analysis because I'm worried about the ways it can be used.

If you want to discuss the reasons why this stereotype exists, that's fine by me. I have nothing against you personally. I'm just worried about what some people would take away from this thread.

don't really know what you mean because I didn't leave it at "women are more emotional"... I already explicitly stated that one should state their implicit bias and try to reason why they think it has formed in their mind.
so ye I'm personally not interested in stats for this one just more introspective analysis and one's own view of society
Aug 31, 2020 3:20 AM
Jul 2018
Korishi said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

don't really know what you mean because I didn't leave it at "women are more emotional"... I already explicitly stated that one should state their implicit bias and try to reason why they think it has formed in their mind.
so ye I'm personally not interested in stats for this one just more introspective analysis and one's own view of society
Alright, whatever. As I told you before, I have nothing against you personally. I guess I'm just going to leave it here. Thinking about it you probably would've gotten these replies no matter what you wrote as not everyone reads the OP or would even care enough to consider it. Have a nice day.
removed-userAug 31, 2020 3:28 AM
Aug 31, 2020 3:29 AM
Jul 2018
@Peaceful_Critic uh okay... lol you are still good with remaining objective like viewing society as a whole moving part so some interesting points but I prefer some personal reasoning too

Catalano said:
Speaking from my exp, one time I cut myself and I was bleeding like mad, my mother was almost hysterical but my father was chill, he just called an ambulance, end of story.
But you should see me in front of tv when barça is playing. After the match against bayern I drank a full 6pack and started shouting insults and punching house objects. But I am usualy very calm
lol these type of anecdotes hold true and at least it shows your mom cares a lot.

I still think sports and competition is more acceptable compared to general situations in interpersonal relationships like at home
Aug 31, 2020 3:32 AM

Apr 2020
Yes, clearly they do, there is evidence even on the MAL forums. In this thread even. God, women make me cringe.
Aug 31, 2020 3:37 AM

Apr 2017
Nah, just look at Trump and his followers. If someone startles him by whistling, he will say it was an assassination attempt orchestrated by Obama.
The Little Mermaid being played played by a black girl in the upcoming live action adaptation, mostly males see it as a form of judgment day.
Aug 31, 2020 3:41 AM
Jul 2018
From my experience at various schools and also from parents who are teachers, women as school principals suffer and panic much more in general when under pressure. One even suffered a stroke right in front of us.
Aug 31, 2020 3:42 AM
Jul 2018
Zoldra0 said:
Nah, just look at Trump and his followers. If someone startles him by whistling, he will say it was an assassination attempt orchestrated by Obama.
The Little Mermaid being played played by a black girl in the upcoming live action adaptation, mostly males see it as a form of judgment day.
that's a good example of another explanation I have for overreacting negatively: it's perhaps caused by an upsetting feeling of not being in control and therefore insecure. Trump stuff is some paranoid schizoid type shit
Aug 31, 2020 5:38 AM
Jul 2018
Peaceful_Critic said:
operationvalkyri said:
No problem, I actually find statistical analysis like that way more interesting then studies by themselves. Speaking of which here's a study(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5937254/):
Thank you for sharing this also. I think my biggest takeaway from this study is what they say about there being large gaps in literature about gender differences in processing emotion. But I believe another significant conclusion that can be made is that both genders do differ in some aspects significantly, in what aspects and how much is yet to be scientifically determined. Very interesting reading. I must say we have had some stimulating discussions today.
Sep 8, 2020 11:24 AM
Dec 2017
I would say so yeah they overeact more due to different biological and societal norms.

Sep 8, 2020 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
On average? Probably, because males have way less estrogen, but more importantly because men are taught to suppress their emotions (except anger and confidence/pride).

I've seen men get super angry over petty shit though (video games are a good example of this) so I don't think the gap in emotionality between men and women is too big, they just express emotions in different ways
Sep 8, 2020 6:18 PM
Jul 2020
thats a sexist assumption. If u think so, u should study a bit about it and im 98% sure u will change ur opinion about it.
Sep 8, 2020 6:21 PM
Jul 2020
have u ever seen a guy arguing w a girl because of jealousy? Or two drunk guys fighting for stupid reasons?
Sep 8, 2020 9:34 PM
Sep 2019
no

dudes are equally guilty of being whiny a-holes. There is no limit to how petty humans can be.
Sep 8, 2020 9:52 PM

Dec 2016
They do present more of some behaviors that most would call overreaction but theres is two important things to think about:

Correlation does not mean causation and diferent people think and quantify overeacting diferently so if we don't ground the terms the response will change acording to the POV.
N04L1TYSep 8, 2020 10:14 PM
heh.
Sep 8, 2020 11:41 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
Hmmmm just by anecdotal evidence I'd say yes but it depends what we're reacting to. Is it TV? I overreact to TV shows as well. I know many guys that do as much as girls so I think it depends on what we're reacting to
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2020 11:46 AM

Oct 2012
Nothing I love more than a totally logical, non emotional man going on presumptuous tirades about half the worlds population because they're depressed about not being able to get laid. Don't worry boys, your insecurity isn't showing at all, it's definitely the women who are wrong for not loving you. Who wouldn't want to be in a relationship with such logical, emotionally mature individuals? Yes, they are all just so irrational. You're all so rational I'm literally drowning in the amount of logic and science in this thread

SargonTheGreat said:
Yes women overreact a shit ton and never stop nagging, then they proceed to blame you for their own mistakes.

Lol I don't even know you and I already want to break up with you
Sep 10, 2020 11:50 AM

Sep 2020
I guess you never seen how men behave during sports events.
Sep 10, 2020 11:58 AM

Oct 2015
Video games? Sports? Online flame wars? Literally anything competitive? Escalation of minor kerfuffles to full-blown fights? Display of disproportionate force in general? Rioting? Responses to rejection/being dumped? This thread shows so much disconnect honestly I don't know where to start.
Auron_Sep 10, 2020 12:04 PM
Sep 10, 2020 12:22 PM

Mar 2008
Both nales and females can overreact but because of cultural influences and maybe some averaged neurological differences they react to different things and may react in different ways. Males are more physically aggressive and females more psychologically aggressive. Females are more expressive on their feelings of sadness and males hold them in more. Males have wider tear ducts so it takes more tear volume for them to cry while females ducts are more narrow. Both can either drag out anger or let it out explosively. Stereotypes also alters perception of how the same behaviours are interpreted with a male vs a female
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

49 by CalmTeaTime »»
6 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

42 by Kamikaze_404 »»
12 minutes ago

» What sort of education did you get?

removed-user - Dec 23, 2019

48 by Rhaelynne »»
17 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

679 by Hitagi__Furude »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Do you care about your native culture?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 9

45 by Bruh69XD »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.