Forum Settings
Forums

Being an Anime Fan, is it something you are proud of?

New
Mar 27, 2020 10:27 AM

Aug 2015
Personally, not a lot of people I know I watch anime and read manga as I am worried of the social stigma that comes from being labelled as a "weeb" despite the definition being blown out of proportion. I am thankful for MAL for providing a platform where I can discuss with people who enjoy the same nature of content as I do.

Would you gladly profess your love for anime/manga? Why or why not?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 27, 2020 10:31 AM

Jul 2016
LightningSoul said:
Personally, not a lot of people I know I watch anime and read manga as I am worried of the social stigma that comes from being labelled as a "weeb" despite the definition being blown out of proportion. I am thankful for MAL for providing a platform where I can discuss with people who enjoy the same nature of content as I do.

Honestly,why care about what other people think at this point when they're going to criticize you for not fitting their definition of what being normal means.
Mar 27, 2020 10:33 AM

Aug 2015
Missaliensan said:
LightningSoul said:

Honestly,why care about what other people think at this point when they're going to criticize you for not fitting their definition of what being normal means.

Well ideally this would be the case, however I've found that it is sometimes necessary to not disclose some of your hobbies in order to fit in to other groups of people.

For example, it would be weird to bring up anime/manga when most of your friends are into k-drama, games and other hobbies.
Mar 27, 2020 10:35 AM

Jul 2019
Nothing to be proud of.

This is character count part.
Mar 27, 2020 10:37 AM

Jul 2016
LightningSoul said:
Missaliensan said:

Well ideally this would be the case, however I've found that it is sometimes necessary to not disclose some of your hobbies in order to fit in to other groups of people.

For example, it would be weird to bring up anime/manga when most of your friends are into k-drama, games and other hobbies.

See,I understand the k pop example but i don't understand how it would awkward to bring up anime to a gamer,since lots of games are technically anime.
Mar 27, 2020 10:42 AM

Aug 2015
Missaliensan said:
LightningSoul said:

See,I understand the k pop example but i don't understand how it would awkward to bring up anime to a gamer,since lots of games are technically anime.

I'm kind of in an awkward state tbh, the friends who have introduced me to anime used to be hardcore anime fans. Now that I am the anime fan, they have moved on to TV dramas from Korea and China.
Mar 27, 2020 10:45 AM

Dec 2018
I’m proud of it personally, I’ve made a lot of friends through anime and it’s one of my favourite forms of entertainment. Do I openly express that I like it? No, I don’t want to be seen as a degenerate (regardless if I am or not) but to say I wish I wasn’t an anime fan would be lying.
Mar 27, 2020 10:50 AM

Aug 2018
Proud of it? No, it's not as if watching anime requires any talent. But I see what you're getting at. Most anime fans should know by now what the normals would think if they knew you watched anime so it's probably for the best to not be too pushy about it.

Even legitimate degenerates, drug addicts, casual criminals, etc will judge you for it. I am a member of a small heavy metal discord server and the guys there have some of the most bizarre, unhealthy fetishes and inhumane political views but damn it if I'm not the freak of nature for admitting that I like Clannad.
Mar 27, 2020 10:52 AM

Feb 2019
No, definitely not. Although it is a lot better than being a normie. Actually, anything is better than being a normie.
Mar 27, 2020 10:54 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I mean, in the first place, calling myself an anime fan would be including myself with a group of people I've never considered myself a part of or felt included in. So of course I'm not proud of it, there's nothing there at all.

I do like being an ecchi fan, but I wouldn't say I'm proud of that. I just actually like that fandom and what it stands for and does and the friends I've made there that I feel like I can actually talk to like other people. In contrast, I dislike the concept of the anime fandom - I don't even think it *exists* and is more an umbrella construct for the various sub-fandoms and niches that encompass anime's audience - I dislike the way a lot of people act, and I don't think I can level with a lot of people I meet on places like AD.

Then there's just the sheer stupidity of being proud of your hobby. I'm not proud for being a strategy game fan. I'm not proud for being a TES fan. They're just fun things I do. I like them a lot, sure, but it's not like I've done something to be proud of just by liking them.

That said, it's fine to be proud of things you've accomplished within a fandom. I'm proud of my accomplishments during my reign as the 4th Head Admin of H&E, but that was me actually doing something instead of just being proud of a passive association. For something probably more relatable to people, what if you write a review you think turned out really well and got a good feedback on? Being proud of that is fine. You actually did something and made something. Or hell, what if you write a forum post you think really got your point across and portrayed yourself and your stance exactly how you wanted to be portrayed? No shame in being proud of that. It's a little thing, sure, but it's something you did and feel like you did well in doing at that. Draw a piece of art you think turned out really well, write a fanfic, make an AMV? Being proud of that is all good.
ManabanMar 27, 2020 11:00 AM

Mar 27, 2020 11:35 AM
Aug 2013
LightningSoul said:

No - its not something I tell people. There is not a big anime and manga community from where I'm from, thus I don't encounter a lot of people I can share my interests with.
Mar 27, 2020 11:40 AM

Oct 2008
I am pretty straight forward about my enjoyment of Japanese anime. What people, including friends think about it, is irrelevant. However I am always starry-eyed when I find out a person is or was or plans to involve himself in anime.
Mar 27, 2020 11:55 AM

Jul 2019
Having a hobby is nothing to be proud of. Same as Manaban here:

Then there's just the sheer stupidity of being proud of your hobby. I'm not proud for being a strategy game fan. I'm not proud for being a TES fan. They're just fun things I do. I like them a lot, sure, but it's not like I've done something to be proud of just by liking them.

I had a friend which was really into bodybuilding and he'd pour his knowledge of the subject on me and I honestly didn't give a shit. Usually the "proud weebs" are the ones that give a bad image to anime fans. It's kind of like with the Jojo memes, the more you talk about it the worse it gets. Though I haven't been exposed to a lot of Jojo memes, I still see a lot of people that are annoyed by them.

Would I profess my love of anime? Only if you ask me, or if it seems appropriate to introduce in a conversation.
BiDiGiNMar 27, 2020 11:59 AM
Mar 27, 2020 12:03 PM
Feb 2017
I mean I don't say it openly. If someone says "What do you like to do?" I usually respond with "I watch TV Shows". If they ask for the name, I'll name off like "Code Geass" and they don't bat an eye. Unless they actually delve deeper into it I don't think they can ever find out. I will only talk about anime if I'm comfortable with the person, which is usually never since I don't have any friends lol.
Mar 27, 2020 12:10 PM

Feb 2010
Noone in normal society even knows what 'weeb' means, only anime fans use this term to insult themselves. If you're afraid of being labelled as such, I recommend not hanging out with other anime fans who have bad meme humour. Normal people don't know the term.

As for being proud, not really. As others have pointed out, pride is more of a concept associated with accomplishments and I don't get being proud of something that just 'IS' without you conributing anything to it, like where you were born, how well other people play sports in your city or what your hobby is. But that just as a sidenote.

If you're asking "Would you gladly profess your love for anime/manga?" then the answer is yes, as long as people are interested in hearing about it. I really don't like starting to just talk about my hobby without anyone asking about it. That's just bad manners. But I'm not gonna hide it if it comes up inconversation or anything like that. I like to talk about it if there's an interest there.

I also had to learn that joining an anime community or forum does not mean I will meet like-minded individuals who like the same stuff I do for the same reasons. Most people in the anime community are actually just part of specific sub-fandoms which revolve around specific genres or types of show. Almost noone is into anime as an extension of being into animation and storytelling in general like I am, just appreciating the artform and variety.

Most people are here because they're into a few specific types of shows and everything else is trash to them, including the remainder of the anime community who don't share their preferences and of course any and all western entertainment as well. So I wouldn't be too optimistic to find that many people who enjoy the same nature of content as you do. I certainly didn't find more than a few handful of people like that in 10 years on MAL.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 27, 2020 12:24 PM

Sep 2018
I am not "proud" of being a fan of anything, i enjoy what i enjoy and its not something i think anyone should be "proud" of. How can i be proud of something where i do nothing besides watching, i am proud of actually doing something or achieving something. Be proud of what you wanna be proud of thats just my view on it.

I treat anime as just a genre in cinema, i am not a "anime fan", or i dont see myself as such, i enjoy cinema as a whole and probably anyone that i know more or less closely knows this.
I am not shy about it nor do i profile myself with it, i discuss/recommend anime the same way i do movies and that i only do that for the ones that are discuss/recommend worthy.
-Mullerio-Mar 27, 2020 12:29 PM
Mar 27, 2020 12:48 PM

Jan 2010
LightningSoul said:

I don't talk anime with people unless they talk to me first or I know that they watch anime.

I don't go around telling ppl I'm a weeb (I'm not a weeb tho!). But I casually wear anime merchs in everyday life, from mug, notes, keychains, badge, t-shirt, jacket, etc.
Mug, notes, keychains, badge are just small things, ppl mostly don't pay attention to such items, however, for t-shirt and jacket, I chose design that are simple and can pass off as normal clothing without ppl noticing it's a "cartoon" clothing unless you are a fan of the anime.

Some t-shirt I owned:

So, instead of a t-shirt of Bakugou picture printed on it, I prefer design of what he is wearing instead, or just a simple kanji is enough.
Mar 27, 2020 1:04 PM

Nov 2016
I'm definitely not ashamed, but neither am I proud of it. Just do it because I like it.

I associate being proud with people who build their identity around their hobbies and these people are pretty cringe most of the time, at least from my experience.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 27, 2020 1:14 PM
Jul 2018
I dont care either way. I'm not proud of my hobby and neither am I ashamed of it. It's a hobby. I tell people around me that I like watching anime if hobbies come up. I mean, I'm 31 years old, I dont think people's opinion of me depends on what I like to do in my spare time.
Mar 27, 2020 1:39 PM

Jul 2016
Shicchi said:
LightningSoul said:

I don't talk anime with people unless they talk to me first or I know that they watch anime.

I don't go around telling ppl I'm a weeb (I'm not a weeb tho!). But I casually wear anime merchs in everyday life, from mug, notes, keychains, badge, t-shirt, jacket, etc.
Mug, notes, keychains, badge are just small things, ppl mostly don't pay attention to such items, however, for t-shirt and jacket, I chose design that are simple and can pass off as normal clothing without ppl noticing it's a "cartoon" clothing unless you are a fan of the anime.

Some t-shirt I owned:

So, instead of a t-shirt of Bakugou picture printed on it, I prefer design of what he is wearing instead, or just a simple kanji is enough.

It's a good way of communicating to someone that you like anime without outright telling them.Though the shirts i wear are a bit more on the nose,since there's actual anime characters on the design.
Mar 27, 2020 1:41 PM

Feb 2018
I honestly don't care much about it.

Mar 27, 2020 2:00 PM

Jul 2012
zieek said:
I am pretty straight forward about my enjoyment of Japanese anime. What people, including friends think about it, is irrelevant. However I am always starry-eyed when I find out a person is or was or plans to involve himself in anime.

Same. I never cared what people thought about my hobbies or the things I'm a fan of. If someone has an issue with something as harmless as that, then that's their problem.

I think nowadays watching anime is not as stigmatized as it used to be, though. I remember back in the day when I said I liked anime people gave me weird looks or thought it was childish whereas now it's people telling me they've watched Attack on Titan or asking me for recommendations or asking me what was JoJo about after I explained that one of my tattoos is because of it lol (literally my three last interactions with people where anime came into the conversation)
Mar 27, 2020 2:13 PM

May 2016
I don't have anime shirts but I have tons of titty figures and anime shit all over my room. I've had strangers walk in and see it and it doesn't embarrass me.
Mar 27, 2020 2:15 PM

Apr 2015
You've as much to be proud of being an anime fan as you have with eating rice for breakfast.
Mar 27, 2020 2:25 PM

Sep 2014
I'm not directly proud of watching anime. I'm more proud for not brainlessly following the mainstream and consume only ultra high budget Hollywood movies as a primary source of entertainment. And I'm also proud of eating rice for breakfast.
Mar 27, 2020 2:27 PM

Aug 2018
I wouldn't say I go around showing off I'm a weeb but I don't mind telling people I am. I think people are fine with you liking anime as long as your not the obnoxious type of weeb who is just plain annoying and creepy.
Mar 27, 2020 2:30 PM
Jul 2018
Of being an anime fan?
No, of course not.

Of the amount of abuse I've taken over the years just for loving anime/manga (even though I would rather donate my left nut to science than shove my personal interests down some poor sap's throat) without being phased by it in the slightest?

I guess. The fact that I've endured some... interesting shit, without giving a shit myself... I suppose that warrants at least some pride.
Mar 27, 2020 2:37 PM

Mar 2016
It's not something I am proud of, but it's also not something I am ashamed of. It's just a part of me.

Yes, I would gladly tell people about my love for anime. No one has ever called me a 'weeb' or anything. Rather, I started making friends after revealing my love for anime (not the crazy people, but the mature ones).
Mar 27, 2020 2:42 PM

Oct 2010
I think only anime fans use the word weeb, if a regular joe finds out that you watch anime he'll be like: oh, so you watch cartoons, what language is that?

I'm not really proud, it's just a hobby / a choice in what media I follow
Mar 27, 2020 2:43 PM

Jun 2016
Liking a certain genre of entertainment isn't something to be proud of. Taking pride in something like this seems weird to me.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 27, 2020 6:45 PM

Sep 2018
I don't know if it's something I am "proud of". It just is what it is. A lot of people around me watch anime too (not nearly as much as me though) so being an anime fan doesn't feel abnormal whatsoever.
Mar 27, 2020 6:49 PM

Jan 2014
TheProblemIsntMe said:
I don't know if it's something I am "proud of". It just is what it is. A lot of people around me watch anime too (not nearly as much as me though) so being an anime fan doesn't feel abnormal whatsoever.

same, most of my friends watch it. i don't usually bring it up with new people i meet bc i find that awkward, but every now and then it comes up organically and turns out they watch anime too lol. so not anything special to be "proud of" really
Mar 27, 2020 8:38 PM

Jun 2015
Of course. I'm very proud of how much I've seen and the stuff I know. Anyone who tries to discredit me or whatnot is a fucking fuck.

πŸ’– 𝐼'𝓂 π’½π’Άπ“Žπ’Ήπ‘’π“ƒβ£ πŸ’–

⋆ Λšο½‘β‹†ΰ­¨ΰ­§Λš πŸ’ π’―π“Œπ’Ύπ“‰π“‰π‘’π“‡ πŸ’ π’΄π‘œπ“Šπ’―π“Šπ’·π‘’ πŸ’ Λšΰ­¨ΰ­§β‹†ο½‘Λš ⋆
πŸ’ π‘€π“ŽπΉπ’Ύπ‘”π“Šπ“‡π‘’π’žπ‘œπ“π“π‘’π’Έπ“‰π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒ πŸ’
Mar 27, 2020 10:02 PM

Aug 2015
Shicchi said:
LightningSoul said:

Some t-shirt I owned:

Same!! I try to be discreet with my anime merch which is limited to keychains.

Reanot said:
Sorry bro, not enough soylent in my blood to let the media that I consume define who I am.

I envy your confidence on how you are able to express it freely!
Mar 27, 2020 10:52 PM

Aug 2008
You could say I'm proud of my hobbies, but more precisely I'm proud of the effort I put into them.

Say you like electronics. If you use that by way of a hobby interest to create things, I believe that's something to be proud of. How do you use your hobbies to better yourself and those around you?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Mar 27, 2020 11:37 PM

Mar 2018
I try to be proud of everything I do, I don't care what other people say.
Mar 28, 2020 1:05 AM

Mar 2018
having watched 400+ anime is literally the only thing i'm proud of in my life. ofc i don't go telling that to everyone because i'd feel stupid, only to people i know that also watch anime (so i can feel validated, u know)
Mar 28, 2020 1:30 AM

Aug 2015
allypsa said:
having watched 400+ anime is literally the only thing i'm proud of in my life. ofc i don't go telling that to everyone because i'd feel stupid, only to people i know that also watch anime (so i can feel validated, u know)

aww, congrats on reaching 400 anime!
Mar 28, 2020 1:35 AM

Jun 2017
For me, i'm not really ashamed of it, ive always just viewed it as another art form like anything else, and im pretty open about anime and such to the people around me irl. This could have been helped by growing up with an older brother who introduced me to the medium and was a big gamer etc and so on into all sorts of things, i never saw it as abnormal because the people around me were into it too. Honestly when i was a kid i thought my cousins were the weird ones for not knowing say, what digimon or yugioh was or could only name the pokemon pikachu and charizard lol, that kinda stuff is what i grew up on.

But i also dont treat it like a Thing you know like i dont think anime is great because its Anime. Being one of the only artists in my extended family, animation has drastically effected my style and angle to what i want to achieve, what inspires me and what motivates me. When i was little i didnt know any different, i loved whatever animated thing that peaked my interest, it had always been something i resonated more than real people/live action, and that later reflected on my art when i just wasnt getting into realism. it was just more expressive, colorful, and engaging to me, and you can do so much with it. and also it was just harder for me to connect to reality based people and things, dunno why tho lol.

Basically, Animation is a passion of mine, and anime happens to be very dynamic and varied, endless styles and stories, its a lot easier to find a interesting anime than it is to find an interesting regular tv show in my book, the scenarios and characters are a lot more unique and engaging. When i approach it as this cool animated movie that happened to be from japan/subtitled stuff, for example say, my aunt in turn is all ears and will talk about how she watches foreign films all the time and thinks the stuff my art from sounds interesting etc. People have many different likes and dislikes! no harm in being interested or not interested in anime or anything else.

i dont worry about its image lol i think its cool and its helped me a lot in finding my passions, and i like to be open about that when im asked about my art/what im into, but i also know its not everyone's thing and can typically tell when someone wont be interested, so ill just be chill and honest ya know.
Mar 28, 2020 1:44 AM
Prideful Demon

Oct 2016
I'm not proud of it, however, I'm not ashamed either. When asked about what I like to watch or the things I like, I'll openly admit that I enjoy anime and manga. Even if it means I'll be considered weird or whatever.
Mar 28, 2020 1:45 AM

Sep 2007
laputia said:
TheProblemIsntMe said:

same, most of my friends watch it. i don't usually bring it up with new people i meet bc i find that awkward, but every now and then it comes up organically and turns out they watch anime too lol. so not anything special to be "proud of" really

Pretty much the same here, it's just a matter of having time to watch anime when you have a job, school or a family; unless their interest in anime has wane over time.
Mar 28, 2020 4:22 AM

Apr 2015
Being proud of things that don't require effort and work is useless.

I don't even really call myself "anime fan", since one it's not like I care for everything anime or that I prefer it over other story telling. Two I don't go well with anime fans and its fandom "culture". Three latching myself into a group in general is a big fat no from me.
Mar 28, 2020 4:34 AM
Aug 2018
Don't openly tell everyone and I dont even share anything anime-related to my social media accounts. But followed crunchcyroll and other anime-info sites.

Dont tell anyone im a fan but if someone talks about it. Gonna ask for some recommendations.
Mar 28, 2020 5:20 AM
Jul 2018
I think the definition of anime fan is more hardcore than it sounds. So i'm definitely not one for just watching and follow up sequels. I'm only a regular anime viewer.

As for proudness i don't feel anything the same way as i watch a regular TV shows and movies, is just normal, but did have proud moment that i binged through Gintama under a month, and rewatched entire thing again because binging is bad.
Mar 28, 2020 5:40 AM
Jul 2018
In some cases yes. I even learned a bit of sewing and some stuff because of anime and I met my closest social environment in the community there.
Also it's quite a big part of me tbh, since it's my favorite and some kind of... "lifestyle"? I'm really into fandoms. I might watch some anime randomly and for most anime, I'm not into fandoms, but for some, I am.
I really like this medium more than other forms of fiction, although I do have a few other non-anime favorites as well.

I could say I'm proud in a way that I'm not ashamed or hiding of my hobbies or other stuff about me. Although anime is not that huge no-go for many people anymore.
I won't talk with everyone about it, but I have a few little key chains etc on my bags, cups etc... small things and shirts from cons, but mostly they are pyjama shirts or for sports.
But I also got the Golden Snitch, the Deathly Hallows, The Mockingjay, The Triforce and Majora's Mask as key chains... on different bags, not all on one. I also have earrings of the Deathly Hallows and should wear them again, and my phone case is the Hogwarts emblem. Now that I have FINALLY seen all of the Lord of the Rings movies, I want this leaf brooch from the elves as earrings or something.
Then I also got quite a lot anime key chains over the years, so people will rather think "a bit nerdy" than just "weeb". xD but because anime is my favorite medium, most of my stuff is still anime merch.

So this "pride" is more about showing what you like, imo. And because the stuff looks good, it's good to communicate, but they also look good as accessoires.
removed-userMar 28, 2020 5:46 AM
Mar 28, 2020 5:45 AM

Dec 2019
Well out of all the ppl i know irl that watch anime we can discuss a lot of things about it, and im proud i experience a lot of emotions from anime, but there are a lot of ppl that have a bad opinion about it but i couldn't care less, so yea you can say i am.
                                                         πŸ–€   

Mar 28, 2020 5:46 AM
Jul 2018
Not really. I don't hide the fact I watch anime, but it's not the thing I'll willingly tell people about - mostly because I dont want people to associate me with weebs/nerds/whatever.
Mar 28, 2020 6:51 AM

Feb 2018
LightningSoul said:
Being an Anime Fan, is it something you are proud of?

You Bet!!! as a fan of about 25 years now, Anime/Manga is responsible for bringing some of my most favorite things into my life;

Mar 28, 2020 7:02 AM

May 2009
I'm neither proud nor ashamed about liking anime.

But, I'm proud to be a fan of those specific series I like.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 28, 2020 7:07 AM
Jul 2018
If someone irl brings up anime topic I won't deny that I watch it but I'll never go out of my way to tell anyone that I watch anime unless they become my close friend
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 12 hours ago

21 by Orokanatenshi »»
8 minutes ago

» I really wish that more animes had re-caps

Atmogenic - 20 minutes ago

7 by Atmogenic »»
9 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 55 minutes ago

11 by MasterTasuke »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 5 hours ago

24 by APolygons2 »»
15 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 5 hours ago

21 by PlasticRobot »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.