Forum Settings
Forums

Scientists Now Think They Know What Started China's Deadly Coronavirus: Bats

New
Jan 25, 2020 1:13 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xgqy3n/scientists-now-think-they-know-what-started-chinas-deadly-coronavirus-bats

“The first people who contracted the deadly new coronavirus sweeping through Asia were infected when the virus jumped from animals to humans, and a new report points to the original animal source: bats.

Scientists from the Wuhan Institute for Virology — located in China’s epicenter of the outbreak, now under quarantine — published a paper Thursday that confirmed the fast-spreading virus is in the same family as the severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) virus that hit Asia in 2003 and killed almost 800 people, and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS).”
“Ebola, the deadly virus that killed more than 11,000 people in West Africa between 2013 and 2016, is also believed to have originated from bats.

The researchers found that the new virus uses the same receptors as SARS to hack into a victim’s lungs, causing symptoms such as coughing, headaches, and pneumonia. This paper is the first to describe the new virus, dubbed nCoV-2019, in detail.”

Likely? Unlikely? Who knows. If so, it will at least serve as a reminder for people all throughout the world to beware what they do eat.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jan 25, 2020 1:16 PM

Jan 2009
i thought its snakes that was reported earlier

but damn bats again? bats is also the origin of the ebola virus
Jan 25, 2020 3:19 PM

Jul 2015
that one liveleak video of bat soup in china was digusting
is like the entire animal in there.
chinese version of uma delicia

Jan 25, 2020 3:21 PM

May 2018
@deg I heard it was snakes a well?

whatever it is the main priority should be stopping it spreading
Jan 25, 2020 3:42 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
deg said:
i thought its snakes that was reported earlier

but damn bats again? bats is also the origin of the ebola virus

It's less likely to be snakes but viruses can exchange genes. Bats were kept unnaturally close together with a bunch of other animals many of which might have carried viruses of their own.

Salvatia said:
that one liveleak video of bat soup in china was digusting
is like the entire animal in there.
chinese version of uma delicia

Maybe but if they just scrape the meat off how are you going to tell if it's bat or just some ordinary chicken? You don't know what bats taste like, I can put literally anything in there.
149597871Jan 25, 2020 3:46 PM
Jan 25, 2020 3:59 PM

Jul 2015
149597871 said:

Maybe but if they just scrape the meat off how are you going to tell if it's bat or just some ordinary chicken? You don't know what bats taste like, I can put literally anything in there.

whats the point of this question.
want me to say how you're hardcore for knowing that meat comes from animals? there's a clear visual distinction between mammals prepared whole compared to ones that are processed. the former of which I find disgusting especially when it's sitting in a bowl of soup with a facial expression like its having bad case of constipation.
meat that has been prepared in such a way that it's unrecognizable from its original form is less disgusting yes. in which case thank you el grande kapitan obvious for pointing that out.
Jan 25, 2020 4:30 PM

Nov 2008
It's probably time to ban the consumption of bats, bats are some of the worst vectors of disease imaginable.

Jan 25, 2020 9:02 PM

Jan 2009
@Seijatachiiii

the scientists are likely doing genome/genetic sequencing now so thats how they learn its origin so they are also gonna work on a vaccine fast if that is the case

@149597871

ye viruses evolves too anyway
Jan 25, 2020 10:02 PM

Mar 2008
Btw fruit bats are cute.
Jan 25, 2020 10:29 PM
Feb 2014
How incredibly racist and bigoted to link the cultural delicacy of bat soup to this illness. If white people had culture, then you'd stop eating beef and substitute it with delicacies like bat, snake, monkey brains, and slugs to save the environment like the eco-conscious Chinese! But seriously, what the actual fuck China? Care to explain the bamboo rats at Huanan Market as well?
https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-chinese-wet-market-photos-2020-1#the-huanan-seafood-market-in-wuhan-closed-on-january-1-after-it-was-found-to-be-the-most-likely-starting-point-for-the-outbreak-of-this-coronavirus-also-called-2019-ncov-1
Jan 26, 2020 1:20 AM

Sep 2018
People deserve to die if they eat bats, I feel sorry for the people who get it when it's not their fault.

It's amazing a few stupid people could wipe out the human race.
Jan 26, 2020 2:23 AM

Feb 2015
Looks like someone did a home run...
Jan 26, 2020 2:41 AM

Sep 2019
I heard it was snakes but now it's back to bats....

Hope the bats here aren't infected.

Wandering Witch is the best light novel ever!
Jan 26, 2020 2:53 AM

Feb 2019
Imagine eating bats and expecting everything with your body to be fine LMAO.
Jan 26, 2020 4:34 AM

Jan 2019
What's dangerous is not eating bats but killing and touching them. Well,there's no virus can live in 100℃ water.
Jan 26, 2020 4:58 AM

Jan 2019
Guastha said:
What's dangerous is not eating bats but killing and touching them. Well,there's no virus can live in 100℃ water.
Guastha said:

Call...@cythraul @QPR (つд⊂)
Jan 26, 2020 8:33 AM

Sep 2018
Guastha said:
Guastha said:
Guastha said:

How about a virus that can survive boiling acid that can totally dissolve a human body?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/07/170719132235.htm Boiling doesn't make you safe from bacteria either, it kills the bacteria but not the spores they produce which develop into other bacteria.
Jan 26, 2020 9:42 AM

Nov 2008
Rinshan-san said:
How incredibly racist and bigoted to link the cultural delicacy of bat soup to this illness. If white people had culture, then you'd stop eating beef and substitute it with delicacies like bat, snake, monkey brains, and slugs to save the environment like the eco-conscious Chinese! But seriously, what the actual fuck China? Care to explain the bamboo rats at Huanan Market as well?
https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-chinese-wet-market-photos-2020-1#the-huanan-seafood-market-in-wuhan-closed-on-january-1-after-it-was-found-to-be-the-most-likely-starting-point-for-the-outbreak-of-this-coronavirus-also-called-2019-ncov-1

Bamboo rat is a delicacy in Asia, unfortunately while it's not the vector of the coronavirus, it's a vector for a dangerous fungal disease that can kill (although most people who die have HIV/AIDS), I still wouldn't want a nasty fungal infection from something I ate.

Jan 26, 2020 10:36 AM

Sep 2019
For anyone interested in learning how such disease spreads, I'd recommend the movie Contagion. It's a little on the extreme and contains errors here and there, but overall portrays pandemics fairly well.
Jan 26, 2020 10:45 AM

Aug 2012
Dude, if you even tell me that bat soup was going to bestow upon my immortality, I'd yeet that shit off the table without second thought
Jan 26, 2020 11:33 PM

Mar 2008
Hoppy said:
Rinshan-san said:

Bamboo rat is a delicacy in Asia, unfortunately while it's not the vector of the coronavirus, it's a vector for a dangerous fungal disease that can kill (although most people who die have HIV/AIDS), I still wouldn't want a nasty fungal infection from something I ate.

They are considered pests so likely it's just a way to eliminate them without being wasteful. I am unsure you could get a fungal infection if meat is properly stored, handled and cooked because most mold dies at normal cooking temperatures (though mycotoxins can remain in species that produce it). Although it's uncertain if it's obtained from eating it my bet is more in inhalation of the mold spores from bamboo rat feces and from inadequate kitchen sanitation habits.
Jan 27, 2020 5:15 AM

Feb 2018
iluvtofu said:
For anyone interested in learning how such disease spreads, I'd recommend the movie Contagion. It's a little on the extreme and contains errors here and there, but overall portrays pandemics fairly well.

Yeh, when I found out I immediately thought of 'Contagion'... iirc at the end it even shows the bat as the primary progenitor...
Jan 27, 2020 6:03 AM

Jan 2019
QPR said:
Guastha said:

How about a virus that can survive boiling acid that can totally dissolve a human body?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/07/170719132235.htm Boiling doesn't make you safe from bacteria either, it kills the bacteria but not the spores they produce which develop into other bacteria.

I'm wrong, and thank you. (☆o☆)
Jan 27, 2020 6:32 AM

Nov 2016
I've heard other reports which suggested it was a highly contagious viral leak from a nearby science lab.

Although, bats have been known to be harbingers of disease.

On the subject of animals and diseases, it's interesting to know that Opposums are nearly immune to rabies, Lyme disease and snake venom.
Jan 27, 2020 8:14 AM

Oct 2017
Just stop eating/interacting with animals that predate bats.
Thinking that you can eat anything else and be fine is just silly.
Jan 27, 2020 11:20 AM
Feb 2017
QPR said:
People deserve to die if they eat bats, I feel sorry for the people who get it when it's not their fault.

I mean they’re a food source, why not?
Jan 27, 2020 2:17 PM

Dec 2016
SpamuraiSensei said:

On the subject of animals and diseases, it's interesting to know that Opposums are nearly immune to rabies, Lyme disease and snake venom.

They are however highly vulnerable to car tires. That is why we have roving packs of coyotes. They are like natures janitors. Also apparently a pack of them can maul a pit bull. They are like mini wolves that run 43 miles per hour.
Jan 27, 2020 7:01 PM

Mar 2011
iluvtofu said:
Exactly what I was thinking also lol

"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Jan 27, 2020 11:10 PM

Mar 2008
QPR said:

You can apply the same logic to any animal to some degree. I dont recall hearing anyone ever getting a virus from fruits and vegetables. Mold and bacteria would still be a risk though.

SpamuraiSensei said:
I've heard other reports which suggested it was a highly contagious viral leak from a nearby science lab.

Where did you hear that?

Btw if true Lyme disease isn't surprising unless you mean the European variety. The American variety the bacteria doesn't produce toxins all harm from the immune system itself so it would only effect humans and other animals with strong immune systems.
Jan 28, 2020 12:17 AM

Nov 2016
traed said:
QPR said:

You can apply the same logic to any animal to some degree. I dont recall hearing anyone ever getting a virus from fruits and vegetables. Mold and bacteria would still be a risk though.

SpamuraiSensei said:

Where did you hear that?

Btw if true Lyme disease isn't surprising unless you mean the European variety. The American variety the bacteria doesn't produce toxins all harm from the immune system itself so it would only effect humans and other animals with strong immune systems.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jan/26/coronavirus-link-china-biowarfare-program-possible/

https://www.ccn.com/scientists-pinpoint-2-causes-behind-chinas-deadly-coronavirus-theyre-both-shocking/

there's various sources saying similar things all around.

Apparently the lab is in the heart of Wuhan city and is near a fish market.

Jan 28, 2020 12:53 AM

Jun 2019
One day it would be a pure pleasure to have the privilege of living in a world in which bats, snakes and reptiles generally, and spiders are not demonized as some vile form of existence.

This is like the rabies fear in rural parts of the United States and Canada around old barns and farming communities especially, until the incidents there and in suburbia of zoonotic transference from foxes and skunks kept rising and rising dramatically.
Jan 28, 2020 1:20 AM

Sep 2018
A Chinese scientist illegally sent deadly virii to that lab from the US but i thought it was a bit too conspiracy theory and the most likely cause is still that market.
Jan 29, 2020 10:02 PM

Jul 2009
Had a hunch that the virus came from animals, but I'd have never expected bats to be the culprit. Honestly thought it originated from common animals that frequently make human contact, such as birds and rats.
Jan 30, 2020 12:32 AM

Mar 2019
Hoppy said:
It's probably time to ban the consumption of bats, bats are some of the worst vectors of disease imaginable.

It wasn't legal to begin with in China but in some cities and regions, the sale of them is ignored by the local authorities.

I hope, if this virus doesn't end up killing an appalling number of people, that the Chinese government will finally learn its lesson and crack down on this industry.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2020 12:44 AM

Nov 2011
This is all happened because chinese love to eat all animals.

Jan 30, 2020 1:58 PM

Oct 2019
Can't say I saw this one coming.
Jan 30, 2020 3:00 PM

Oct 2017
Wuhan Top bio-warfare laboratory is the cause. They probably tried to test effects and how to contain it in some government buildings, therefore they failed to contain the virus.

While China has denied having any offensive biological weapons, the US State Department said last year it suspected such undercover work, the news outlet’s national security correspondent and author of six books Bill Gertz has said.

The report cited Gao Fu, director of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, as telling Chinese state-controlled media that initial signs indicated the virus originated from wild animals sold at a seafood market in Wuhan.

The Wuhan facility was reported to have studied coronaviruses in the past, including the strain that causes Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, or SARS, the H5N1 influenza virus, Japanese encephalitis, and dengue.

“In principle, outward virus infiltration might take place either as leakage or as an indoor unnoticed infection of a person that normally went out of the concerned facility,” Shoham has told Gertz. “This could have been the case with the Wuhan Institute of Virology, but so far there isn’t evidence or indication for such incident.”

The SARS virus had escaped from high-level containment facilities in Beijing multiple times, reported newsmax.com Jan 25, citing Richard Ebright, a molecular biologist at Rutgers University in Piscataway, NJ, and the Nature magazine.

http://www.tibetanreview.net/did-the-wuhan-virus-escape-from-chinas-bio-weapons-lab/
''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.