Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 13, 2020 8:43 AM

Oct 2018
Finally, I've been waiting for this to air so much, and I'm not disappointed at all, this looks very promising!

Looking forward to the next episodes a lot

BTW I felt so sorry for that girl, I thought she was gonna be some badass character with insane skills, but she didn't even have time to react, she was so terrified :c
-Aincrad-Jan 13, 2020 8:58 AM
Jan 13, 2020 8:48 AM
Apr 2016
That was very strange, but interesting. A lot of mysteries are already set up and I'm curious.
Jan 13, 2020 9:00 AM
Jul 2018
I love everything about! From soundtrack to worldbuilding and character design. Just awesome!

So, Caiman's mouth is like an entrance to another dimension or something? Or this other guy really lives inside him? Wonder if their digestive system connected then...

Also, you can undo practice results by killing the sorcerer. It's genocide time then? Haha

Why not upload the whole season though... Netflix did it with other shows, why not with this one? Whole week of waiting is a real torture(
Jan 13, 2020 9:34 AM

Mar 2019
Man what a first episode. Gritty, gruesome, and dark. Great to see a dark fantasy that does not hold back.
Jan 13, 2020 9:35 AM

Apr 2014
Amazing first episode and great use of CGI. Orange this is how you make a cgi anime not that pixar wannabe shit.
Jan 13, 2020 9:43 AM

Dec 2014
Well in love with this anime
Jan 13, 2020 9:45 AM

Dec 2014
ok like wow..truly an amazing show... never expected to be this good
Jan 13, 2020 9:46 AM
Dec 2015
The manga is my favorite, and the anime is looking much better than I expected! The dream scene was AMAZING! It only gets better from now on! I am looking forward to episode 3... Since some crazy things are gonna happen around there... And I am loving the reception, almost everyone that watched this is liking it, if this keeps going than there is a good chance this is getting a second season!
FinkFrozenJan 13, 2020 9:52 AM
Jan 13, 2020 9:53 AM

Jan 2017
ok it was kinda weird, lizard dude seems cool tho
Jan 13, 2020 10:33 AM
Jul 2018
Loved the pacing. Didn't waste any time getting into the details of the world and establishing stakes. More please.
Jan 13, 2020 10:39 AM
Jan 2015
This is so disgusting I am just looking at the manga sadly wishing I never tainted my eyes with this abomination. I feel devastated. I'm just gonna stick with the manga and ignore this ever came into existence.
Jan 13, 2020 11:14 AM

Nov 2013
Kaiman's head is the only thing that looks ugly, otherwise the CGI isn't so bad.
You all need to watch Nami.

Jan 13, 2020 11:49 AM
Nov 2019
Not bad, this season is already far to full of "Drops" but this looks interesting,I've not read the Manga so don't know if its a good adaptation or not...

Jan 13, 2020 12:15 PM

May 2018
Man, this is bloody good.
Jan 13, 2020 12:37 PM
May 2018
Modernoir said:
Only managed to watch a good chunk of the epsiode through twitch unsubbed, but color me surprised, this actually does look pretty good. The CGI really isn't as jarring as I was expecting, I actually really dig the entire aesthetic of this show so far. Dare I say, this actually looks promising?
same the cgi isn't only used on the lizard men (forgot name since it's for me new :p) look forward for the next episode!
Jan 13, 2020 12:52 PM
May 2017
so many whining and complaining lmao fuck off losers, this was pretty neat.

Of course the manga is better, it's usually the case, why y'all acting like it's some shit ass adaptation when it clearly isn't? It's pretty good, actually.

but whatever yall a bunch of "CGI bad, hurr hurr" morons need to stfu already.
Jan 13, 2020 1:05 PM
Aug 2014
great to see shin and noi at the end!
Jan 13, 2020 1:41 PM

Mar 2013
I LOVE IT! This is exactly the atmosphere I wanted the anime to have. The crazy colours, the kooky music, and not at all apologetic for how buck wild everything is from the off. I really hope it keeps the manga's tone throughout.
Jan 13, 2020 1:47 PM
May 2019
That CGI makes my eyes bleed😣😣😣😣
I though that blondy was a boy at first LoL it's one of the ugliest female character design that I've seen since LOTGH.
Story wise I can't tell what is going on it seems to be one of those anime that's bizarre for the sake of being bizarre.
The world looks interesting it has a cyberpunk/dystopian feel to it.
Overall it's an edgefest I might stick around for few more episodes to see where this goes.
XstasyJan 13, 2020 2:05 PM
Jan 13, 2020 1:55 PM

Mar 2012
shiro_kai said:
The buzz around this one was pretty big but the episode was pretty meh. This together with the lack of subs and cheap CGI will probably make it a forgetable anime of this season

Xstasy said:
I though that blondy was a boy at first LoL it's one of the ugliest female character design that I've seen since LOTGH.
Story wise I can't tell what is going on it seems to be one of those anime that's bizarre for the sake of being bizarre.
Overall it's an edgefest I might stick around for few more episodes to see were this goes.

MAPPA destroying all good mangas again. :)
Apollon was a miracle..

Closet_Neeet said:
This is so disgusting I am just looking at the manga sadly wishing I never tainted my eyes with this abomination. I feel devastated. I'm just gonna stick with the manga and ignore this ever came into existence.

bro hug

Edit :
I overreact a bit because of Runway de Waratte and Kuutei Dragons. Hopefully backgrounds are amazing.
HaarWyvernJan 13, 2020 2:43 PM
Jan 13, 2020 1:57 PM
Sep 2018
I'm surprised the CGI isn't total dogshit so that's a first, the background art is absolutely amazing though and it presents such a strong and gritty atmosphere, I love it. It definitely is pretty zany and pretty out there. I do look forward to what more of this world will be explored in the anime and Wataru Takagi was definitely such a solid pick for the protagonist (at least in sub). I have a feeling I'll be able to judge this anime more properly once we get more episodes.
Jan 13, 2020 2:03 PM

Jun 2013
the OP is amazingly surreal
Jan 13, 2020 2:17 PM
Aug 2018
Let me just say that this was one of a hell good start!
The use of CG is totally decent. The design of the environment is way too good. In my opinion, the characters are too bright but still, their design is nice.
I'm super excited about this series and this may be the first time I'm saying this: "But you know, sometimes Mondays can be cool"
Jan 13, 2020 2:29 PM
Feb 2015
For people complaining about the CG: Shut the fuck up. It's far from bad and there's actually life in the characters. They're not stiff robots. After 2 minutes, I stopped caring about the CG, like it's not THAT bad. Stop over-exaggerating you dramatic ass weebs lmaooooo
Jan 13, 2020 2:29 PM
Dec 2019
Serlu said:
God damn. The manga was already a 10/10, and one of my favourite mangas. This adaptation is pretty awesome. I hope they adapt everything some day. Solid gold episode.

The only thing that bothered me a little bit is that it is too colourful, I thing less colour would fit more the theme already.

Too colourful?? You serious mate?? Have you even read the source material??? MAPPA's colours are spot on, perfect blend of dark and colours, just like the covers and the colour pages of the manga. Afterall it's the post-apocalyptic version of a Wizard of Oz-esque world, you gotta have them colours like the original movie, green skintones with the dark clothes (think Wicked Witch of the West), colourful socks/shoes (Fujita's shoe is a straight up tribute).

Jan 13, 2020 2:33 PM
Jul 2018
This is great! At first i thought the animation was a bit weird but was just an impression.
I love these good vibes mixed with the blood and gore elements.
Jan 13, 2020 2:34 PM

Jun 2013
Pretty good start
Jan 13, 2020 2:42 PM

May 2011
The first ep is looking great so far and the opening is really good.The only thing that threw me off was how colorful the show is.I was expecting everything to be a bit more toned down.

I can't wait to see Shin and Noi in action.>.<
''I was dead serious''

Jan 13, 2020 2:51 PM
Mar 2015
HaarWyvern said:
shiro_kai said:
The buzz around this one was pretty big but the episode was pretty meh. This together with the lack of subs and cheap CGI will probably make it a forgetable anime of this season

Xstasy said:
Overall it's an edgefest I might stick around for few more episodes to see were this goes.

Apollon was a miracle..

Closet_Neeet said:

bro hug

So, let me see if I got this right. You admit that you didn't watch the episode because you don't like MAPPA's anime. Then, not happy because your whining was largely ignored, you proceed to highlight the only 3 negative replies (three! out of 80+ responses to this thread) and act like the majority actually thinks the anime is bad? "Hurrr Duurrrr. MAPPA BaD. MAPPA RuInS eVeRyTHinG!"

Lol. Truly amazing.
Jan 13, 2020 2:54 PM

Dec 2016
Holly Molly!! This is giving me Banana Fish vibes! The art is similar, especially when you look at Nikaido. The violence is to the extreme but I kinda like this new adaptation from MAPPA and I believe they'll do a great job :)

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Jan 13, 2020 3:00 PM

Mar 2012
Ju87 said:
HaarWyvern said:

Apollon was a miracle..

bro hug

So, let me see if I got this right. You admit that you didn't watch the episode because you don't like MAPPA's anime. Then, not happy because your whining was largely ignored, you proceed to highlight the only 3 negative replies (three! out of 80+ responses to this thread) and act like the majority actually thinks the anime is bad? "Hurrr Duurrrr. MAPPA BaD. MAPPA RuInS eVeRyTHinG!"

Lol. Truly amazing.

I was talking to them I don't want to highlight something for the others. When you quote someone is that for people you haven't quote ?
I don't want to act like if the majority say that it was bad either. I see that the majority find it ok or good, and I'm not the typical MAL's liar who arrange the truth.

So you're wrong sorry but to I admit it's kind of laughable anyway.

+ I've watch it now.
Backgrounds are amazing, the atmosphere is here (even if it's feel even darker (not edgy tho) in manga), can't say about the pacing right now.
Buuut, what they did to my bro' Nikaidou the coolest girl ever. :'(

Not a big fan of the staging, the last plan with Shin and Noi for exemple is pretty average to me.
So I guss I will vote a 3/5 on the poll. Are you satisfied ? :')
Jan 13, 2020 3:06 PM

Sep 2012
I am a huge fan of the manga, but the anime just didn't feel right. Very laggy and meh. I blame CGI (same reason why I love the Kingdom manga and really dislike the anime). It's not that it's awful, but it's not good either. Just meh.
I am better than you.
Jan 13, 2020 3:12 PM

May 2013
This was kind of meh. Expected more.
Jan 13, 2020 3:33 PM
Oct 2017
This gives off the Blame! vibe of being completely unable to be adapted and capture the scenery, feel and talent that hayashida's artwork does in the manga. Still i'm glad to see more seinen on the scene, something different is rather nice.
Jan 13, 2020 4:54 PM

May 2017
Yeah

That was weird

Helo-chanJan 13, 2020 8:22 PM
Jan 13, 2020 5:29 PM
Dec 2012
I really liked the first episode. I am usually not a fan of CGI in anime but they have done a pretty good job. I thought dorohedoro was one of those manga you just cant adapt, but boy they proved me wrong. Good pacing and true to the manga except with a bit less of the violence shown.
Jan 13, 2020 5:32 PM

Apr 2007
I absolutely loved everything about this! Not a fan of CGI whatsoever, but I think it blends well with the background art so I can get used to it. The characters, atmosphere, comedy, action, music, voices, designs, it's amazing!

Honestly it's rare that I'm so blown away by something and it upsets me even more that I haven't read the manga despite being interested in it for a very long time (not a fan of reading), but if this keeps up I'll surely get around to finally reading it. Ahh~ can't wait for the full version of the ending~~
Jan 13, 2020 5:32 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
it was fun but i wasn't totally blown away by it. while the CG was far from the worst thing ever, there was some moment that was... off.

I dunno, i'll start with a 7/10. Easily can see it go to an 8/10 or a 9/10 tho.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 13, 2020 7:12 PM
Oct 2012
SebCyrSC2000 said:
Acernos said:

Some anime are broadcast like this on some channels, fortunately Tokyo MX has lately been broadcast anime with little censorship, if Dorohedoro were shown on TV Tokyo it would surely be totally censored.

The idea was that Dorohedoro was broadcast on AT-X or MBS. But yes, they showed on TV much more than I expected.

I didn’t even knew Tokyo MX barely censored anime. Thanks for the info. I am still surprised an anime didn’t air earlier in the manga’s run, but it was smart to wait until it concluded.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.

Yeah, it varies from series to series. Drifters, Jojo Part 5, Golden Kamuy had no problems. But Baki had some censored scenes at Tokyo MX. I don't know what standard they use, but at least it seems that Dorohedoro didn't have this problem, since the Japanese still watch a lot of TV I hope the series will gain popularity.

ps: A DVD from anime is among the top 50 on Amazon, of course the ranking varies over time, but that's a good sign when it appears in the top 100 ranking after the first episode.
Jan 13, 2020 7:38 PM

Nov 2011
Nothing special really. Reminded me of a more hardcore Kekkei Sensen. Didnt react much during episode 1. We'll see what happens the next two weeks.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jan 13, 2020 7:40 PM

May 2012
Very boring. I do not even understand the story! What they are trying to do ? Why the lizard man put people heads in his mouth. Feels so random and stupid
Jan 13, 2020 10:07 PM

Jan 2016
d0postma said:
Serlu said:
God damn. The manga was already a 10/10, and one of my favourite mangas. This adaptation is pretty awesome. I hope they adapt everything some day. Solid gold episode.

The only thing that bothered me a little bit is that it is too colourful, I thing less colour would fit more the theme already.

Too colourful?? You serious mate?? Have you even read the source material??? MAPPA's colours are spot on, perfect blend of dark and colours, just like the covers and the colour pages of the manga. Afterall it's the post-apocalyptic version of a Wizard of Oz-esque world, you gotta have them colours like the original movie, green skintones with the dark clothes (think Wicked Witch of the West), colourful socks/shoes (Fujita's shoe is a straight up tribute).

Yeah I'm serious. Sorry for having an opinion I guess.
Jan 13, 2020 10:14 PM

Sep 2014
Good first episode. Definitely intriguing. Never been a fan of CGI but it's not terrible. Been hoping to see some darker shows so here's to hoping it succeeds so we can see more of these types of shows.
Jan 13, 2020 11:18 PM

Apr 2018
Well I guess it's good. MAPPA did a good job in animating this. I haven't read the manga, just heard a lot about this. Welp imma just continue watching this
Jan 13, 2020 11:31 PM

May 2013
A surprising hit in my book.

Nailed the tone of the series perfectly.

Although some of the scene transitions were awkward one could make the argument that was purposeful to match the chaotic pace of the manga.

Plus episode ends with best boi Shin and best girl Noi.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Jan 14, 2020 1:11 AM
Apr 2016
thepath said:
Very boring. I do not even understand the story! What they are trying to do ? Why the lizard man put people heads in his mouth. Feels so random and stupid

"I didn't pay attention to the episode while watching so now I don't understand anything, therefore it's bad!"

He literally said that he lost his memories and the guy in his mouth is a clue. Also part of the appeal of the series IS kinda the dark and nonsensical humour.
Jan 14, 2020 2:01 AM

May 2018
A promising beginning. Nice art, nice comedy, nice action, interesting twists. CG is ok, too. The fact that this is not isekai and mc is not an edgy teen is already a rare thing nowadays and catches interest.
But only 12 episodes? I guess this, like Beastars was, will be an introduction season, to watch viewers' response
Nemo_NiemandJan 14, 2020 2:05 AM

Jan 14, 2020 2:07 AM

Jul 2017
Impressive first episode, MAPPA! With all the gore and violence, this is sure to rile up the hype of the adaptation of the insane manga. Too bad it's stuck in Netflix jail as always.

OST is fire, and it's (K)NoW_NAME, so it's as great as usual.

The CGI on the other hand, isn't as weird like a lot of CGI anime do, but the dreary atmosphere gives it the unique touch.

Lizard-head Caiman is definitely strange but weird in a good way. But sorcerers are just as evil in this weird-ass dystopian world, taking down the people of "Hole".

To question the "man in his mouth", Caiman takes no chances to find out the truth after losing his memories, by asking sorcerers like a policeman without a warrant.

Dark series like this are the push, and this is great.
Jan 14, 2020 2:22 AM

Jun 2013
cchigu said:
What we learned from this episode:
1. Dorohedoro is as wacky as the manga.
2. MAPPA did/is doing a fine job.
3. Ebisu best girl.

5/5. Potential AotY contender.

This pretty much sums up everything I wanted to say. To be honest, I'm good with the CGI, I enjoyed Land of the Lustrous and Beastars with their CGI and this one is pretty good too. I'm a fan of the manga and I love how the anime captured the grittiness of the source material. I like the dirty, cyberpunk, post-apocalyptic setting and sci-fi tones. This is filling in a need that I haven't seen in Anime in a long time.

Kaiman and En's seiyuus are fucking perfect for them. Not gonna lie, the 90s style and vibe gives me flashbacks to when Wataru Takagi voiced Onizuka from GTO. Yes, the Anime itself was late 90s but the overall style was encapsulated the art of its decade.

And oh yes, Ebisu is best girl.
臭い-
Jan 14, 2020 2:28 AM

Mar 2016
I had been wanting to read its manga for around two years, but I kept procrastinating and now it's already an anime. lol.

Despite the messy and boring setting, the story and the characters really make this enjoyable.

Caimon is oddly cute despite looking the way he does.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dorohedoro Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2020

112 by Suckmypokeballs »»
May 4, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Dorohedoro Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

205 by scorpioniclibra »»
Apr 28, 1:37 PM

Poll: » Dorohedoro Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2020

66 by scorpioniclibra »»
Apr 28, 12:18 PM

Poll: » Dorohedoro Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2020

70 by scorpioniclibra »»
Apr 27, 4:47 PM

Poll: » Dorohedoro Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2020

99 by scorpioniclibra »»
Apr 26, 2:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.