3It was OK
14.2%
2Disliked it
3.2%
1Hated it
2.1%
Average 4.2
1,013 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 11, 2020 7:37 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
First episode is up on Japan Netflix.

A thrilling start with the main setting introduced with Ebisu, one of the main characters. So glad to see Kaiman animated! The music adds an unsettling eerie vibe to the series but I think it works quite well. The background art also looks surreal. There's also some minor fan service and blood.

The OP song is also really catchy. With a cliffhangerish ending, I'm curious how they'll adapt this into 12 episodes.
Stark700Jan 11, 2020 7:48 AM
Jan 11, 2020 8:29 AM
Dec 2017
You can watch on only on japanese Netflix or at any region?
Jan 11, 2020 9:59 AM

Jan 2017
Stark700 said:
I'm curious how they'll adapt this into 12 episodes.

It will be one 12 episode cour. A second release will be released if season one receives support from fans.

Source- https://dorohedoro.net/news/news_20200106_01.php
Jan 11, 2020 10:48 AM
May 2016
Only managed to watch a good chunk of the epsiode through twitch unsubbed, but color me surprised, this actually does look pretty good. The CGI really isn't as jarring as I was expecting, I actually really dig the entire aesthetic of this show so far. Dare I say, this actually looks promising?
Jan 11, 2020 2:15 PM

Oct 2019
Oh my god. This...this is everything I wanted. I can’t say enough good things about how this exceeded my expectations. It’s definitely gonna be censored on Japanese TV, the gore’s mostly intact.
Pandora Hearts is the best manga ever made and deserves an anime reboot
Jan 11, 2020 10:35 PM
May 2016
SebCyrSC2000 said:
Oh my god. This...this is everything I wanted. I can’t say enough good things about how this exceeded my expectations. It’s definitely gonna be censored on Japanese TV, the gore’s mostly intact.

They actually handled the gore in a pretty awesome way. Call it censorship if you want but they handled it in a more artistic way so it comes across as more horrifying rather than bloody, which I think worked super well.
Jan 12, 2020 5:01 AM
Sep 2016
Episode 1 was really amazing!
the anime looks really well paced and well made, very close to the manga.
the violence and blood are there but cuts and damage seems more suggested than shown
that is......... Dorohedoro
Jan 12, 2020 7:25 AM

Dec 2017
overall a pretty good episode. the cg blend was awkward-looking at times, the backgrounds are great, but these digital backgrounds fade in comparison to how gritty the original sketchy backgrounds were. the op is fucking amazing

the pacing seemed a little fast for me even tho it adapted only 3 chapters
also, they've changed the place where the door that leads to hole is? it looks totally differently now
Jan 12, 2020 7:42 AM

Oct 2018
Couldn’t be happier about this first episode! The adaptation is very faithful to Hayashida’s work and the CG was actually really good! Art direction was amazing and so was the soundtrack. Totally love the OP and ED! Can’t wait for next week :D !!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2020 7:42 AM
Dec 2019
Amazing
They censored Ebisu's face damage
But still amazing.
Jan 12, 2020 8:06 AM

Nov 2016
Great start, I pretty much liked everything about it and as for now it definitely has the potential to become my favorite this season. I just hope that the narrative continues to flesh out the worldbuilding.

Dat crazy opening, tho xD
FMmatronJan 12, 2020 8:10 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 12, 2020 9:04 AM
Dec 2017
I wonder if those who are giving Dorohedoro (or any else show without watching it) low scores ever had fun.
SondferJan 12, 2020 9:18 AM
Jan 12, 2020 9:05 AM

Oct 2019
Sondfer said:
I wonder if those who are giving Dorohedoro (or any else show without watchin it) low scores ever had fun.

Exactly. The score should be like, a lowish 8 score or higher than 7.73.
Jan 12, 2020 9:33 AM
Oct 2012
SebCyrSC2000 said:

Jojo part 5 was much more violent and was broadcast on Japanese TV without problems. By the way, dorohedoro ep 1 was aired on Tokyo MX and not from what I saw there was no censorship.

Mod edit: Removed link to full episode on YouTube.
DeadlyRavenJan 12, 2020 10:52 PM
Jan 12, 2020 9:41 AM

Aug 2013
is the anime full CGI?
Jan 12, 2020 9:50 AM

Oct 2019
Acernos said:
SebCyrSC2000 said:

Jojo part 5 was much more violent and was broadcast on Japanese TV without problems. By the way, dorohedoro ep 1 was aired on Tokyo MX and not from what I saw there was no censorship.

Huh. That’s interesting...

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
DeadlyRavenJan 12, 2020 10:51 PM
Jan 12, 2020 9:57 AM

Jun 2015
Adibash said:
is the anime full CGI?

No, it's a mixture between 2D and 3D. I would say the CGI is a bit off sometimes, but the amazing backgrounds are helping a lot.
OttesJan 12, 2020 10:06 AM
Jan 12, 2020 10:04 AM
Oct 2012
SebCyrSC2000 said:
Acernos said:

Some anime are broadcast like this on some channels, fortunately Tokyo MX has lately been broadcast anime with little censorship, if Dorohedoro were shown on TV Tokyo it would surely be totally censored.

The idea was that Dorohedoro was broadcast on AT-X or MBS. But yes, they showed on TV much more than I expected.

Jan 12, 2020 10:12 AM

Oct 2019
Acernos said:
SebCyrSC2000 said:

Some anime are broadcast like this on some channels, fortunately Tokyo MX has lately been broadcast anime with little censorship, if Dorohedoro were shown on TV Tokyo it would surely be totally censored.

The idea was that Dorohedoro was broadcast on AT-X or MBS. But yes, they showed on TV much more than I expected.

I didn’t even knew Tokyo MX barely censored anime. Thanks for the info. I am still surprised an anime didn’t air earlier in the manga’s run, but it was smart to wait until it concluded.

Jan 12, 2020 10:46 AM

Oct 2017
Well it's finally here, been waiting to see Kaiman animated for long. This turned out better than I expected. The op and ed were okay, Nikaido looked hot in the op.
MegamiRemJan 14, 2020 3:01 AM
Jan 12, 2020 3:38 PM

Mar 2012
I'm so affraid to watch this, the manga is soooo good and I don't like MAPPA's works. :'(
Jan 12, 2020 3:52 PM
Apr 2015
HaarWyvern said:
I'm so affraid to watch this, the manga is soooo good and I don't like MAPPA's works. :'(

Mappa have hajime no ippo s3
Jan 12, 2020 4:36 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Ok it was actually very great I loved this first episode, can't wait to see the other ones
Jan 12, 2020 5:24 PM
Aug 2019
Weird show but, I really like the style and atmosphere it has. Can’t wait for episode 2
Jan 12, 2020 5:31 PM
Jan 2018
Wow, the plot is insane.
The animation got [intentionally] choppy at times, but besides that, it actually looks very good.
Jan 12, 2020 5:55 PM

Sep 2017
Pretty interesting start

I already really like the atmosphere and the characters and the story seems promising
I'm surprised by the animation but it's well done in general, and that CGI looked really good sometimes
(I think I'll need a few episodes to get used to the two MC's animation which is slightly different from the other characters'). The OP and the ED sure are unique, don't know if I like the OP or not but it's definitively a great one

I knew this anime would be a bit gore, however I didn't expect the torn-off face at the end (it was surprising yet fun to watch)
Jan 12, 2020 6:59 PM
Jul 2017
The first episode was "okay", there is not much censorship, it was faithful to the original work and it surprised me a lot, I expected less.
Jan 12, 2020 7:21 PM

Mar 2012
TGAvi said:
HaarWyvern said:

Mappa have hajime no ippo s3

I've just watch 30 episodes of HnI for now..
Jan 12, 2020 9:34 PM

Mar 2016
The fuck did I just watch? I thought this would be an instant drop but I kinda liked it, cgi doesn't look awful and the ED song is good.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jan 12, 2020 10:59 PM

May 2009
Thread Cleaned

Please do not ask when the subs will be released or where to watch an episode. Posting links to streaming websites isn't allowed on the website either and might result in the post being removed and/or a warning. See the Site & Forum Guidelines for more details.

As always, posts with single phrases like "good episode" are removed without notice.

Jan 12, 2020 11:06 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
What we learned from this episode:
1. Dorohedoro is as wacky as the manga.
2. MAPPA did/is doing a fine job.
3. Ebisu best girl.

5/5. Potential AotY contender.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Jan 12, 2020 11:15 PM
Jul 2018
Its definitely felt surreal to see the once unthinkable adaptation finally animated and based upon my expectation from the PV it was not certainly solid but still was integrating to watch (because its been soo long I've read the manga like in 2015?). My main gripe felt like there was some awkward scene transition that are hard to overlooked or is it maybe I watched the cut version ? Also some story moments definitely felt needed more pause imo.

The music was decent and the background art was absolutely stellar (kinda reminds me of BBB). CGI's seemed fine to me. I think they did capture manga's atmosphere pretty well too. Overall so far the most fun show I've felt from this year.
Jan 12, 2020 11:16 PM

May 2016
HOLY SHIT this was so fucked and weird and AMAZING

Had NO IDEA they got the legendary Shinji Kimura (Akira, Totoro, Angel's Egg background art, Tekkon Kinkreet, Mutafukaz, Children of the Sea and Kekkai Sensen art director) on board as art director but FUCK YES. The background art here looks so predictably amazing.

AND THAT ED!!!!!

Really feels like a project with a very strong passion for the source from MAPPA!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2020 11:47 PM
Apr 2018
Impressive first episode!
Jan 12, 2020 11:59 PM

Jul 2017
Dorohedoro's manga was gritty, brutal yet beautiful and entertaining to read. So, going into this, I was nervous. The animation in the PV was not the most promising sign.

And whilst I still feel that the character designs and their animation is mediocre, the background art does atleast look great, and details/objects that don't involve the complicated character designs do look good.

I feel like the atmosphere of what Dorohedoro is about was nailed for the most part. It's world is incredibly weird, insane, unfiltered, brutal, yet full of creativity. The beginning of the opening song, the OSTs used, and the gritty colors used for the backgrounds, really did help build up that atmosphere needed for the world.

So, whilst its not a perfect adaptation of Dorohedoro, it still is a decent one. Wished the animation blew me away more, but the heart and essence is there. So, I can say that it's my favorite premiere episode of the season so far.

P.S: Kaiman and Nikaidou are the shit. I love them in the manga, and they're good here too.
Jan 13, 2020 12:16 AM
Mar 2014
I wasn't sure about the 3D and cleanliness of everything. But I think they did it pretty well. It's understandable they couldn't get the sketchiness of the manga. They nailed the city's look and atmosphere. I also liked how they showed some magic user victims walking around/ going about their lives. The stalk legged guy going across the tracks looked cool.

Kaiman's voice is a little weird to me for how over-the-top expressive he is, I imagined him slightly less hype but I guess it suits? Shin and Noi sounded fucking great though.

Oh and I gotta say I'm glad it's still gruesome, although less gruesome than the manga. They just approached it in a different way.

Jan 13, 2020 12:19 AM

May 2019
Damn, a pretty intense first ep. Clear goals, themes and characters established early on.

The setting 'Hole' looks really interesting and promising.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Jan 13, 2020 12:37 AM

Mar 2019
That was excellent. I am happy as a fan of the manga... Well, besides the Netflix not simulcasting fuckery.
Jan 13, 2020 2:32 AM

May 2014
That was weeeirrdd. I didn't manage to get into the manga, but i'll give this some episodes to see if it hooks me.
Jan 13, 2020 2:35 AM

Jan 2016
Pretty good episode, I love Kaiman already. Also pretty gore anime, it definitely looks like the manga was from the 2000s.
Can't wait for the next episode!
Jan 13, 2020 2:50 AM

Oct 2019
Dororun said:
Pretty good episode, I love Kaiman already. Also pretty gore anime, it definitely looks like the manga was from the 2000s.
Can't wait for the next episode!

The manga premiered in November 2000 in Spirits Zōkan Ikki (Which later evolved into Monthly Ikki, also best known for Bokurano: Ours).
Jan 13, 2020 3:29 AM

Oct 2019
The CG didn't bother me that much, awkward at times but other then that its pretty fine. the pacing was pretty fine this episode adapted 3 chapters.
Jan 13, 2020 3:37 AM

Nov 2015
I really thought they did an excellent job on this -- obviously no way any production could get the detail of the manga just right, but I thought the character designs were perfectly fine and the backgrounds were fantastic. It's not my dream adaptation but I'm thoroughly satisfied so far. I just really hope there's no rushing. That would kill it fast for me.

OP and ED are total bangers, which is a nice touch. This show deserves excellent music.
Jan 13, 2020 5:43 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Phuck yeah! They did things well all things considered. Yeah, the CGI is choppy so one will have to get used to it. Seinen's (and specially one's as "ugly" as Dorohedoro) don't get the budget for beautiful animation. I think they did a great job in keeping the esthetic and feel of the manga. The character designs were on point, Kaiman's voice actor was perfectly cast too. Nikaido's voice is somewhat different to what I expected though.

cchigu said:
What we learned from this episode:
1. Dorohedoro is as wacky as the manga.
2. MAPPA did/is doing a fine job.
3. Ebisu best girl.

5/5. Potential AotY contender.

Totally agree but you spelt Noi wrong! :-)
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 13, 2020 6:01 AM

Mar 2018
Wew. Looks good. Worldbuilding and atmosphere is great so I am in.
TruceeJan 13, 2020 6:11 AM
Jan 13, 2020 6:32 AM

Aug 2013
Not a bad episode tbh. So much gore in a single episode. Honestly, I wasn't expecting Ebisu's face to come off.

Jan 13, 2020 6:48 AM

Apr 2015
Wow, I am hooked. The direction is pretty good overall and the CG is not bad. It isn't studio Orange level of CG but MAPPA is probably the next best studio for CG.

Hope production doesn't crash and burn halfway through.

5/5
Jan 13, 2020 7:37 AM

Aug 2013
Fantastic show already from the first episode I can tell this is going to be a wild ride. if you thought that No Guns Life was hardboiled then you will see transcendence here. The awesome thing about the CG is that while it looks choppy it unifies what makes Japanimation great. I need more of this, as fast as possible. I'm happy it's just a 1-cour, because after the anime I'll pick up the Manga.

Sound design is impeccable! I cringed so hard because of some very disgusting scenes and how everything was splashing and splooshing around. Art design is just top notch too.

Easy contender for AotS.
Jan 13, 2020 7:38 AM

Jan 2016
God damn. The manga was already a 10/10, and one of my favourite mangas. This adaptation is pretty awesome. I hope they adapt everything some day. Solid gold episode.

The only thing that bothered me a little bit is that it is too colourful, I thing less colour would fit more the theme already.
Jan 13, 2020 8:05 AM

Sep 2015
The buzz around this one was pretty big but the episode was pretty meh. This together with the lack of subs and cheap CGI will probably make it a forgetable anime of this season
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dorohedoro Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

204 by FarCritical »»
Mar 29, 5:06 PM

Poll: » Dorohedoro Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2020

65 by FarCritical »»
Mar 29, 3:12 PM

Poll: » Dorohedoro Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2020

69 by FarCritical »»
Mar 27, 12:01 PM

Poll: » Dorohedoro Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2020

70 by FarCritical »»
Mar 26, 9:43 PM

Poll: » Dorohedoro Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 29, 2020

75 by FarCritical »»
Mar 25, 5:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.