Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Toilet-bound Hanako-kun
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 9, 2020 2:22 PM

Jul 2017
I'll have to check out the director of this series, because I think it's unique directing style, as well as the color palette and stylistic choices, did a lot to really make the first episode special.
Jan 9, 2020 2:49 PM

Jan 2017
Wow, just WOW! That art style, that OP and THAT ED!!!

This was way beyond my wildest expectations!
Jan 9, 2020 2:53 PM

May 2015
The art style is just so *chefs kiss*

The comedy landed with me too, so I have no complaints whatsoever. Looking forward to more.

♡ artist
サコ
Jan 9, 2020 2:58 PM

Sep 2017
Pretty cool premier. Very stylish and an interesting premise. I'm glad the show moved away from a romance focusing on the senpai. That would have been much less interesting, especially since it was clear she barely even knew this guy. It's nice that she even had this exact revelation.
Jan 9, 2020 3:19 PM

Dec 2018
Great art style and it seems really interesting
Jan 9, 2020 3:21 PM

May 2019
nice first episode
good art style
but the animation is meh its more like reading the manga with voice actors
”A fight isn't won once a victor is decided, it's won when someone loses.” – Izayoi Sakamaki

I don’t even know the real names of the two… no, three that I killed back then. I just closed my eyes, put my hands over my ears and tried to forget it all.” – Kirito

MY ANIME LIST
Jan 9, 2020 3:30 PM

May 2016
What a great first episode! Even if there's not much animation, the cutesy artwork more than makes up for it.
Lerche has really been stepping up their game recently, first with Kanata no Astra and Given back in the summer season, and now with Hanako-kun.
Jan 9, 2020 3:49 PM

Oct 2013
Well that was disappointing. Never trust manga hype trains.
Jan 9, 2020 4:16 PM

Jan 2008
Just repeating others but am liking the visuals but do wish the animation was a bit more. It appears to be quite minimal, which is a shame. With their designs, it would be have been a treat. Despite the unique style, this might just end up as something I just watch while doing something else.
Jan 9, 2020 4:51 PM
Jun 2017
This series looks cute... im going to watch this one
Jan 9, 2020 4:57 PM
Dec 2018
I fell in love with the art style, it was coming from another world and it's beautiful, the voice acting and the sound effects were awesome and combined with the atmosphere of the show was great, I love the main cast. Hell it wasn't 5 minutes and I laughed so much, 9/10 for me, waiting for more.
HelaLoveJan 9, 2020 5:00 PM
Jan 9, 2020 5:31 PM
Aug 2019
Wow the art style is really unique I really like the use of panels, I for one don't really mind the animation, also the story looks really cute.

Jan 9, 2020 5:34 PM
Dec 2019
That was a really good start. The two protagonists are great between them, they make a good relationship. It made me laugh at many points, the mix between comedy/fantasy/action is pretty great made.
Both OP & ED songs are epic. The animation and the drawings style is just perfect, so many details and great environments.

98/100
Jan 9, 2020 6:07 PM

Jan 2018
emraanash said:
sometimes it feels like dark sometimes comedy ,whats happening?

Buckle up because that's Hanako-kun in a nutshell. It gets dark but manages to still feel fluffy. You ain't seen anything yet.

Hatsuyuki said:
That felt quite lackluster for a first episode. Like, I'm not hooked, at all. I wonder if this is going to turn into an episodic anime where they deal with wishes from random students every week. If that's the case then I'm not interested. Nice art thought. Guess I'll give it two more episodes.

It's not. Literally the only time a wish is ever is the manga is Nene's wish. It centers around the 7 mysteries of the school along with some other plot lines entangled within.

Overall I liked it, but Hanako's voice is going to have to grow on me. It's the only thing that felt off. Nene's adorable, though. I just hope it doesn't move to fast. There were some characters in the OP I was surprised to see for this being only 12 episodes.
Jan 9, 2020 6:14 PM

Jul 2016
Absolutely love the show's aesthetics. The animation indeed looks "limited" but it's not a big deal, being honest.

Interesting start overall. Really liking Hanako and Nene's dynamic so far.
Jan 9, 2020 6:44 PM

Jul 2014
This was way more entertaining than I thought it would be, I was initially interested in this because of the 2 main seiyuu, Kitou Akari and Ogata Megumi.
Story is nothing to write about but the artstyle and the way they execute scene to scene is nostalgic somehow, it soothes me.
Like everyone noticed the animation is pretty meh but for an anime like this, artwork seems to be more than enough to tell and do the stuffs it wants to do and the seiyuu upping the charm.
ED is somehow.... depressing but in a good way.
Jan 9, 2020 7:00 PM

Mar 2016
Absolutely loved it! Can't wait for more! <3
Jan 9, 2020 7:14 PM

Aug 2015
pretty meh first episode. the art style does have some kind of charm to it, but it's still pretty creepy that the 2 mcs are allegedly in high school yet look/act/sound like they're in grade school. the plot wasn't particularly interesting and the character personalities left a lot to be desired for me, as did the comedy if that's what this is intended to be. i honestly can't tell what it's supposed to be, tonally it was kind of a mess. definitely wouldn't call this a strong start by any means, but i do think it has some potential to get more interesting.
Jan 9, 2020 7:14 PM

Jan 2011
show sure has a look to it i'll take anything half decent this season lol
Jan 9, 2020 7:55 PM

Dec 2018
Wow! Virtually no experience with the manga, but I really liked the first episode! The art style and colors are gorgeous, I didn't even mind the lack of animation. The characters are fun, Hanako and Nene have some great comedic chemistry, and I personally love the sound of Hanako's voice (Megumi Ogata???!!!). Looking forward to this.
Jan 9, 2020 8:08 PM

Jun 2014
Wow it was just as good as I expected. Totally hit me in all the right spot, the animation, artstytle, music/songs and the direction. Definitively makes me want to read the manga but I'll refrain and experience this as an anime.

Truly a beautiful first episode 5/5 this is my AOTS I can feel it not that I watch many anime every season so it doesn't mean much
Jan 9, 2020 8:13 PM

Jan 2011
As usual, the winter season has some of the best shows.
The farming reminded me of Bakarina.
Jan 9, 2020 8:58 PM

Dec 2007
Fam this deserves a 10/10 for effort and execution. I did not know i loved bold black outlines so much till right now. And not segmenting a show in 2 or 3 but 15 to set the mood felt really good even if i didnt enjoy all of it.

This anime is gonna have to go so down hill from this point to make me fall out of love with it.
Jan 9, 2020 9:08 PM
Apr 2016
phantomfandom said:
I don't like the heterosexual element in this, otherwise it's ok.

What? What does this even mean?
Jan 9, 2020 9:22 PM
Jul 2019
Definitely super cute and highly stylized. Not sold on the charters or plot yet. OP and ED are fitting
Jan 9, 2020 9:26 PM
Jun 2013
Absolutely hilarious. One of the best shows of the season so far. Love the art style and the characters.
Jan 9, 2020 11:02 PM

Nov 2010
Loved the first episode, art, characters, voice acting, story so far. I'll give it careful 8 for now, though first episode was more of 9 for me.

Don't get what people are complaining about animation, I found it well animated. It doesn't look like show that needs more.
Jan 9, 2020 11:38 PM
Jun 2016
phantomfandom said:

Heterosexual element? Why phrase it like that??? And do you mean the potential romance between Hanako and Nene? If so then you should probably drop it if it's not your thing. This isn't really a yaoi type anime,
Jan 9, 2020 11:50 PM
Jun 2016
I dont understand why people aren't fond of Hanako's voice. It's literally perfect and the seiyuu does a great job between making Hanako switch between sounding sarcastic, comedic and caring to Nene. Is it because the seiyuu is a woman and not a man playing Hanako like Kou? Because that voice doesn't fit Hanako's design at all.
Jan 10, 2020 12:05 AM

Nov 2014
im loving the aesthetic of this show. colors and character designs are pleasing to the eye. Animation is a bit lacking but tbh that's fine for the first episode considering it's more dialogues than anything else.

Hanako's voice is quite suitable when he speaks in a low tone (the "behind you" in the trailer) but sometimes it sounds weird when he's just speaking normally.

i'm loving all the cameos of the important characters in the background lol

OP and ED are great. can't wait for next episode.

(for some reason the art reminds me of Demon Slayer... apparently the ED "Tiny Light" is sang by Akari Kitou, the voice actress of Nezuko XD
Jan 10, 2020 12:05 AM

Aug 2016
I am loving this art!
Jan 10, 2020 12:07 AM
Nov 2017
this was a really good first episode imo

the art and animation style looked like the manga just colored which is different but it suits this type of story. the fight scene was also well animated albeit a little short. the colors tho, uffff they were so beautiful

i really enjoy the VAs! really cutesy voices which makes the humor more funny imo. hearing hanako and nene animated really was so cute.

the first episode was a bit slow but gave a good introduction, so i think by next episode things should pick up!
Jan 10, 2020 12:15 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Hatsuyuki said:
That felt quite lackluster for a first episode. Like, I'm not hooked, at all. I wonder if this is going to turn into an episodic anime where they deal with wishes from random students every week. If that's the case then I'm not interested. Nice art thought. Guess I'll give it two more episodes.

I share the same sentiment. The art style is cute, I like the color palette and even the panels are cute (can't remember specific examples aside from Hakumei to Mikochi). I don't mind the "lack" of animation that some people are mentioning, either. But the story definitely didn't hook me. I found myself wanting the episode to end not even half way through, and it doesn't take much for me to have a positive first episode impression. Maybe it's because of the hype, or maybe nothing about the characters interests me so far. I am interested, however, in some of the side characters, some which haven't shown up yet.

Anyways, it's just the set up episode, there's a likelihood that the rest will be more enjoyable :> I guess I'd rather have a lackluster beginning becoming better than good beginning becoming worse. There's obviously also much more to this, such as who is Jibaku really and why is he (stuck?) granting wishes. And there's the 7 Wonders of the school being mentioned, maybe we'll see more of that.
Jan 10, 2020 1:06 AM

Apr 2019
You have no idea how relieved and excited I was when I watched the first episode, Lerche really did a great job with replicating the original style of Aida Iro, the ost sounded pretty great, the va’s sounded great, and the op and ending are both bops too. I loved how much symbolism the ending had, and a certain part of it made me think that one of the theories I have for the show could possibly be true? Which is really damn cool. I hope and pray that this show get the appreciation it deserves so much.

I think the only concern that I have right now is the animation, which is what I was initially worried about. I’ve not ever been super impressed with Lerche’s animation, and this series contains a lot more action than you’d think at first glance, I’m kind if worried about how some of the scenes in the manga that looked incredible in my head will turn out, hopefully Lerche will surprise us.
WeezneezJan 10, 2020 1:28 AM
Jan 10, 2020 1:36 AM

Oct 2013
Yes! Finally! It's here! It's adapted so well! uwu! I love seeing yashiro and hanako come alive in anime form! Everything is perfect!
Jan 10, 2020 2:23 AM

Aug 2018
Wow. WTF did i just watch!!?? Amazing. I have no words to express my excitement towards first episode. My mind was absolutely blown by the animation.

The first episode was like a dream. So beautiful, so cute, so kind and left me with a warm feeling inside my heart. This is the dream that you'd never want an end. The characters are stunningly well-written and are just too cute.

This will definitely be one of my favourites of all time
NeonDeviluke09Jan 10, 2020 2:27 AM
Jan 10, 2020 2:28 AM
Swallowtail

Feb 2014
I’d watch it just for the art style and Ogata Megumi as Hanako-kun. The chemistry between the characters is amazing indeed and to be fair I was sold as soon as I heard urban legends being mentioned.
Jan 10, 2020 2:30 AM
Oct 2019
I am one of manga readers and really hype when I see this. The soundtrack really feels like so supernatural and the art too is justice! Aslo the voice actors is perfect!

Why is everyone complaining about the animation using panels? It's rare so why not try to enjoy it? For me, I don't really have a problem with that except the battle scene in the end. Too short.

Also for anyone who thought this is gonna be a comedy anime or something like that,
Jan 10, 2020 2:32 AM
Oct 2019
I am one of manga readers and really hype when I see this. The soundtrack really feels like so supernatural and the art too is justice! Aslo the voice actors is perfect!

Why is everyone complaining about the animation using panels? It's rare so why not try to enjoy it? For me, I don't really have a problem with that except the battle scene in the end. Too short. Overall, I hope this stay good for the rest episode.

P.S.
anyone : meh this is just gonna be a comedy anime or some boring things and fluffy things
me : just wait for the deep part dude and lemme see your reaction :)
Jan 10, 2020 2:53 AM

Aug 2018
This was cute
🙀💥
Jan 10, 2020 3:03 AM

Jan 2015
Toilet Bound? More like Slideshow-bound. Can't they just drop the anime pretense and be more honest about the fact that it's actually an animated comic?
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Jan 10, 2020 3:44 AM

Apr 2019
phantomfandom said:

God dude, they’re kids.. this anime is more than just something to satisfy that kind of ‘fetish’.
Jan 10, 2020 3:50 AM
Sep 2015
Moonlitcritter said:
phantomfandom said:

Heterosexual element? Why phrase it like that??? And do you mean the potential romance between Hanako and Nene? If so then you should probably drop it if it's not your thing. This isn't really a yaoi type anime,

Demanding yaoi means I demand homosexual element, which is not my intention. Homosexual relationship is optional, not mandatory for me.
Jan 10, 2020 4:16 AM

Feb 2010
finally I get to see yashiro's daikon feet animated

Jan 10, 2020 4:23 AM
Dec 2019
They captured the art style perfectly!! Their voices was also as I imagined it to be! It was very enjoyable and made me laugh. The mermaid fight wasn’t as good though, since they shortened it. It made the fight seem like it was put in for the sake of having a fight. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed it. The overall vibe of the show so far is great.
Jan 10, 2020 4:24 AM

Sep 2011
Okay, this was great, and really funny too. I laughed out loud when she accidentally pushed that guy down the stairs, and with that creepy bentou she made. xD I also liked when even another guy wanted to give his button to that senpai. The last confront with the mermaid and stuff was cool too. And I like both the OP and the ED. The character design is also great, but her legs are weird indeed. I thought it was something characteristic of the design, but the other girls seem to have normal legs. The daikon jokes were kind of funny too. xD
Jan 10, 2020 4:27 AM

Jan 2018
Moonlitcritter said:
I dont understand why people aren't fond of Hanako's voice. It's literally perfect and the seiyuu does a great job between making Hanako switch between sounding sarcastic, comedic and caring to Nene. Is it because the seiyuu is a woman and not a man playing Hanako like Kou? Because that voice doesn't fit Hanako's design at all.

Has nothing to do with him being voiced by a woman. For me, it's just too airy. Hanako is sly and smooth in the manga and so the airy nature of the delivery isn't what I expected. I don't hate it, it's just a little off. There isn't much chance to show off any range in the mermaid story, so maybe when they get to some more dynamic moments the VA will get to show some more range.
Jan 10, 2020 5:07 AM

May 2012
Very boring. Bad comedy, not funny at all. Has no interesting plot

Also, I don't like the art
thepathJan 12, 2020 6:17 AM
Jan 10, 2020 5:24 AM

Jul 2017
WOAH, WOAH WOAH! What an epic start!

With Lerche's very distinctive and striking artstyles and animation, and one of the studio's prolific directors Ando Masaomi, this series is off to a fantastic start. Character wise, Hanako the infamous school ghost is as witty and funny as I remember from the manga.

The comedy aspect was good, pretty much mimicking the comic-book style which fits the manga to a T. Speaking of which, it's more than just a perfect adaptation, it's speaking volumes when the anime takes the manga and improves upon it, which is even rare in the industry space.

Definitely one of the best shows of the new season!
Jan 10, 2020 6:22 AM

Jun 2013
As manga reader, I enjoyed this episode a lot. Yes, like others have said multiple times, the animation is lacking but the art style and overall aesthetic make up for it. The voice acting cast is great, imo, because Ogata Megumi's voice gives Hanako a playful voice with an obvious latent sinister tone that can be executed at any moment. Nene sounds fucking adorable both in human and fish form.

We even got a peek of some characters who will show up later. I love the OP the most and the ED isn't too bad either. This will definitely be my number one feel good series of the season.
臭い-
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2020

124 by Inacio0101 »»
Apr 21, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Does the recently Aired spin off covered the missing parts of manga ? Or different story

chukesh007 - Jan 29

3 by emirw »»
Jan 30, 4:36 PM

» Can i get a song list

dicloflom - Dec 28, 2023

7 by dicloflom »»
Jan 12, 5:52 AM

Poll: » Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2020

139 by luviendsol »»
Dec 23, 2023 2:07 PM

Poll: » Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2020

54 by WELLERM »»
Dec 17, 2023 12:51 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.