Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 5, 2019 12:15 PM
Dec 2015
When you play a game that has both English and Japanese audio, do you use the Japanese audio like how you watch anime, or do you use the English audio?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 5, 2019 12:20 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
i've never seen a game that has both English and Japanese audio, so i have no idea
what games have these options?
Dec 5, 2019 12:46 PM

Jul 2017
Some games I do use the Jap. audio, if they have some notable VA's in them. I thought Hanae Natsuki as 9S in NieR:Automata was really well done.

Code Vein as well had a lot of notable VA's, Ai Kayano, Kaito Ishikawa, Aoi Koga, Yuuichirou Umehara, Lynn, Junichi Sawabe etc.

Sekiro too: Namikawa Daisuke, Shizuka Ito, Kenjiro Tsuda

Stuff like Metal Gear Solid though, I go with the english audio

Fario-P said:
i've never seen a game that has both English and Japanese audio, so i have no idea

Like.......most games lol. I'm pretty sure OP means changing your audio language settings to English vs. Japanese
Dec 5, 2019 1:07 PM

Oct 2018
Whenever I have that option, I play the games with Japanese audio. Although, a lot of the games I've played are "subbed only" >_>
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
Dec 5, 2019 1:28 PM

Feb 2015
It would depend on the type of game, and how necessary it is to understand what's being said. In an action game where my focus is on the gameplay, I would choose English audio if dialogues happen during the gameplay, at least for my first playthrough. But usually, if games offer the choice for either, I set it to Japanese audio because I find Japanese voice acting superior over English in most cases.
Dec 5, 2019 4:02 PM

May 2014
Most of the time i switch to Japanese voices if given the option, since a lot of games i play tend to use the same dub actors you see in a lot of anime, which i'm not a fan of. Always exceptions of course.

On a side note, playing Sekiro and switching to English voices is blasphemy! (Dub is still good though)
Dec 5, 2019 4:31 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Short_Circut said:

Fario-P said:

Like.......most games lol. I'm pretty sure OP means changing your audio language settings to English vs. Japanese

No I know what OP meant, but I just haven't seen any games around here that has this option. If you say most games have this option, can you please state which games have this? I'm honestly curious
Dec 5, 2019 4:43 PM

Jul 2011
As much as I like the japanese audio I also like the english audio a lot. Back then when I was playing Nier Automata I didn't even know how to change the language so I only played it in English and I loved it. The same goes for Fire Emblem games for example. The only games I only play with Japanese audio are games like Danganronpa or the Persona series.

Dec 5, 2019 4:44 PM

Feb 2019
If there's an option, I switch the audio to japanese. It helps getting more listening comprehension.
Dec 5, 2019 4:55 PM

Jul 2017
Fario-P said:
Short_Circut said:

No I know what OP meant, but I just haven't seen any games around here that has this option. If you say most games have this option, can you please state which games have this? I'm honestly curious

Almost every game that was made from a Japanese/Japanese related company and also some notable others. NieR:Automata, Frontsoft Games like Sekiro, Devil May Cry, Code Vein, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid series, Jak and Daxter, The Witcher 3 (fun fact, Sawashiro Miyuki actually voices Ciri), Until Dawn, BioShock Infinite etc.
Short_CircutDec 5, 2019 5:04 PM
Dec 5, 2019 6:51 PM

Dec 2014
I play games on their original language with English subtitles. This is true for all games like the Metro series, Russian/English subtitle. Witcher, Polish/English Subtitles, etc. So if a Japanese game has Japanese audio, I do that.
Dec 7, 2019 12:42 AM
Jul 2018
I usually use Japanese audio if it's available

their voice acting just generally sounds better
Dec 7, 2019 4:26 AM

Oct 2009
Yerr it's quite rare br0. But yes I go for japanese audio & English sub
Dec 7, 2019 4:54 AM
Jul 2018
i usually play with English, i don't looking at subs in gameplay, although i did play with Japanese audio in Sekiro.
Dec 8, 2019 1:52 AM
Jul 2018
If it's a Japanese game, I use the Japanese audio. I've got no inherent problem with English dubs of Japanese series, it's just that they're typically littered with garbage hollywood-style voice acting and mistranslations aplenty.
Dec 8, 2019 10:40 AM

Oct 2014
The first thing I do before I start a new game, is to go to the settings and switch the language to japanese (if it's available). I like my jrpgs better that way.
Dec 8, 2019 11:58 AM

Mar 2018
If made in Japan yes but if not then I'll stick with the English.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Dec 8, 2019 8:31 PM

Sep 2013
Generally speaking, Yes. If it's a Japanese game I will pay a game in Japanese with English subs with a few exceptions (mainly remaster of games I played when I was younger which only had and English dub), Also one of my fav game series is the Yakuza series (Tho I really have issue with the title and much prefer the Japanese title) and that is only in Japanese.

Fario-P said:

I've seen a few games on PS3/PS4 have then and quite a few on PC.
The main one that's coming to mind ATM is Disgaea because I remember being dual audio on the PSP and was the same with the later entries.
...Also FFX since I replayed that on PC not that long ago.
Dec 8, 2019 8:41 PM
Jul 2018
I usually switch between the two at a whim if it lets me.
Dec 8, 2019 9:04 PM

Aug 2009
English preferred, but not strongly preferred. Like, 51% to 49% in favor of English.

Tales of Berseria is perfectly fine in English. And the Senran Kagura games do not need an English cast.

Dec 8, 2019 10:22 PM

Apr 2019
Most JRPGS have that feature, and I always preferred english.
It's a hassle to fight monsters and read what they're saying at the same time (English sub)

Currently playing YS - 8 which has those feautres
as well as Tales series, Final Fantasy Series comes to mind.

Dec 8, 2019 11:27 PM
Jul 2018
I think for me it generally depends on the series. For the most part, I play with English VA and it wouldn't feel the same if I didn't play games such as Persona 5 in english for example
Dec 8, 2019 11:32 PM

Apr 2013
Only game I played with an option like this so far was Street Fighter 4 and I used the English voices there.
Dec 8, 2019 11:42 PM
Oct 2019
Depends on the cast of characters and voice actors. Sometimes i'll use dubbed if it's a good cast but other times i might not
Dec 9, 2019 12:36 AM

Mar 2018
Depends on the game. If they're obvious anime games like Persona, HDN or SenKagu, I'd go with Japanese voices. But playing DMC5 with J-voice killed all of English-based mocks and swears so I'll never do that anymore.

Dec 9, 2019 1:01 AM

Dec 2018
Always Japanese . The English voice actors are often horrible and put me of ,sometimes they are ok but not very often

And sometimes when I cant chose i turn of the voice sound completely if it put me off

Crackdown 3 Is one example,, Cant stand it so turned it of =P

Japanese voice actors are much better

Dec 9, 2019 1:27 AM

Jul 2015
am prefer original audio(regardless of language) w/ english subtitles imo

when originally japan voice, need english subs
even if english voices, still want need english subs
!
Dec 9, 2019 3:01 AM
Jul 2018
Lionheadgames said:
When you play a game that has both English and Japanese audio, do you use the Japanese audio like how you watch anime, or do you use the English audio?

Nice of you to assume that I prefer to watch anime subbed. Well I got news for you. I don't.

However, with fighting games if there is an option for English voices and Japanese voices I choose per character whichever voice actor sounds less annoying or sounds more impactful.

Mod edit: removed abuse
BrandonDec 9, 2019 5:04 AM
Dec 9, 2019 3:11 AM

Oct 2016
I don't know that I have a preference. Just whatever I think sounds better, or whatever suits the characters better. I think the only game I've played with this option is Street Fighter, not that I ever go looking for it.

Oh... I have played a game where you could change the language setting on a per-character basis. That was cool. I forget what it was though. In that case, I just made the characters that were from english-speaking countries speak english, and everyone else japanese.
Dec 9, 2019 4:55 AM

Sep 2014
I always go for Japanese audio in JRPGs. It just feels right to me excluding maybe Final Fantasy XII which is probably the exception of that rule. Now for Japanese titles like Resident Evil or Ace Combat, I always go with English.
Dec 9, 2019 11:04 AM

May 2019
If there's an option for having Japanese Audio in-game, I'm always taking it; simple as that. Don't really enjoy dubs and I tend to get the story better from reading than listening.
Dec 9, 2019 4:30 PM

Apr 2016
Depends. Usually the Japanese audio, since English dubs always recycle the same "high pitched vanilla" sounding guy for every anime/JRPG. Example being ff15. I could not see myself enjoying that game as much as I did if I had played it in english.
Dec 10, 2019 2:08 AM
May 2018
I always choose original audio when available.

- That being said, series like Metal Gear has extremely good dub, and its voice actors are super iconic; still, dub makes characters a lot different from their original selves.
Dec 10, 2019 10:20 AM

Jan 2018
In Resident Evil i usually go for Japanese audio because the english VA's are just annoying and unrealistic
Dec 10, 2019 1:04 PM

Sep 2007
If the game has audio and Japanese characters, I always choose it by default. The few exception are the Resident Evil or Metal Gear who has American characters so I play them in English.
Dec 18, 2019 1:38 AM

Oct 2013
Depends on the game I'm playing. If the english voice acting is absolutely horrendous, then obviously I'll stick to the Japanese voices.
Dec 23, 2019 5:02 PM

May 2009
Lionheadgames said:
In terms of the voicework?

I usually go with English audio, though I have no qualms about turning voicework off entirely, since (1) I'm used to headvoicing characters myself and sometimes when voices are added they don't fit right (and this is regardless of language), and (2) I often read faster than the voices recite the lines so then I have the odd problem of either waiting for the voice line to finish or cutting it off early (this is a problem with English voicework since I understand English, while I don't understand Japanese voicework so it isn't a problem in that case).

It's probably a little odd that I don't give a crap on a personal level about having characters voiced in video games, but that is my opinion.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 24, 2019 5:21 PM

Dec 2014
I generally decide based off the game's origin. I prefer playing Japanese made games in Japanese and Western games in English.

Though if a western game has Japanese audio, I might try it out for the fun of it in case there are any seiyuu I like. So overall, it's mostly a case by case basis.
Dec 24, 2019 5:50 PM

Sep 2018
I usually use english dubbed for games though I do occassionally play some undub games like with Tales of Eternia.
Dec 24, 2019 5:52 PM

Nov 2011
Depends, some game is better in English like Devil May Cry.

Dec 25, 2019 11:04 PM
Feb 2014
basically every Final Fantasy game, but i always go for English audio.
Not all who wander are lost.
Dec 27, 2019 4:45 AM

Mar 2014
Japanese audio, always. (Or any original language that isn't dubbed) This is why the ps4 dragon quest makes me sad, they voiced it in english when japanese has no voices so there's no way to remove it.
Dec 27, 2019 6:01 AM
Jul 2018
English audio, if it is good. If not, Japanese audio and English subtitles masterrace.
Dec 28, 2019 7:30 PM

Oct 2008
Almost always JP voice over EN voice.
Dec 29, 2019 11:17 AM

Jul 2011
Always use English.

I also prefer watching Dub over sub anime too.
Dec 29, 2019 12:09 PM

Feb 2015
Well it's not like I pay attention to the cut scenes in the game...
Dec 29, 2019 1:56 PM

Dec 2016
I will enable the subtitles anyways, just like I invert the vertical axis from so much time playing flight sims. Other than that if the English is terribad I will do so, if I switch and the Japanese sounds terribad, mute voice.
Dec 30, 2019 12:05 PM

Nov 2016
I mostly read comments about it then watch couple of comparison videos if i still didn't decide i just try both of them a bit then decide.

Most of the time english dub is good enough at least at AAA games since their target is the whole world.

There are some games that i do prefer JP or whatever it's original audio is but that's really rare.
Jan 7, 2020 8:49 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
I'm not a massive fucking weeb so I listen to my games in English just like any other normal person would. Only reason to ever listen to the Japanese audio is if the game was originally made in Japan AND the English dub has some truly awful voice acting to the point where it's ruining the experience of the game. But this is RARELY the case, and the Japanese voice acting could be just as awful, you just can't tell because you don't speak the language so when you hear all that emotion they let out it doesn't sound like overacting instead it sounds cool.
Jan 7, 2020 11:42 PM

Jan 2016
If it is an anime style game, I'll definitely use japanese dub with english subs.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Exploring the Intersection of Games, Computers, and Tech Support: A Guide for Android App Development Companies in Saudi Arabia

johnsrp - 1 hour ago

0 by johnsrp »»
1 hour ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
3 hours ago

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
6 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
7 hours ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.