Forum Settings
Forums

Anyone else still hold any or all of the first 1-3 anime they ever saw as their absolute favorites?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Aug 10, 2019 5:23 PM
Jul 2018
Rei_III said:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Hell no... the first two shows I watched were Captain Tsubasa and Saint Seiya. After that, probably Sailor Moon. Or Doraemon.

I wouldn't watch any of them now.

Reading this could lead people to think the St Seiya and Sailor Moon animated series have no quality.

You're right. That wasn't really my intention.

If you're watching them for the first time, they still have value. But I've moved on to better things, and those shows are extremely low on my re-watch list.
I honestly wouldn't pick them back up, unless I somehow ran out of superior action / magic anime, of which there are plenty.
Aug 10, 2019 5:48 PM

Aug 2018
My first anime was Evangelion and my fifth one was Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and those are two of my favorites.
Aug 10, 2019 5:55 PM
Dec 2017
Nope. My first three were probably Inuyasha, Pokemon, and Bakugan and none of them are my favorites. Dragon Ball and Yu-Gi-Oh (which were probably my fourth and fifth anime) are way higher up on my list than the first three I watched. (Also, I like Inuyasha. It interested me even as a kid. Pokemon on the other hand was just something I watched because I heard about it. I really just thought Pokemon was overrated. Lol. As for Bakugan, I liked it but I never went back to it like I did with Inuyasha. I think I grew out of it.)
Aug 10, 2019 6:17 PM

Oct 2017
No my first ever anime shows were Saint Seiya and DBZ and none are on my absolute favorites, btw I gave them a sentimental score.
''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
Aug 10, 2019 6:25 PM

Mar 2016
no, but I will say that my 4th or 5th ever anime watched was Yugioh 5Ds way back, and it’s still an all-time favorite.
Aug 10, 2019 6:44 PM

Sep 2018
My first anime was Death Note which is still a favorite, but after that one the next 5-ish animes I watched were actually some of the worst I've seen.
Aug 10, 2019 7:04 PM

Aug 2016
My first 3 that I finished were Digimon, transformers, and totoro. None of them were in my favorites. Closest favorite was Digimon s1 but that was as a casual fan at the time
Aug 10, 2019 8:10 PM
Dec 2018
I watched a lot of animes before 2007 via TV but tbh at that time I didn't exactly recognize it as "Anime" and more like cartoons. ;>

Deathnote,Black Lagoon and Code Geass where kinda the first 3 I watched online knowing they where "Anime" back in 2008.(Elfenlied is somewhere in between but I really can't remember anymore if I first watched BL or Elfenlied.)

As absolute favorites maybe not, but I still enjoy watching Code Geass from time to time. Same goes for Black Lagoon.

On the other hand even if I enjoyed Deathnote a lot back than I didn't watched it since ~2008. It's kinda a one trick pony and the pathing(and lack of really good scenes) is just way too slow to rewatch it if you know what will happen.

I still have the dvd boxes of all of them and Elfenlied was so rare at that time as a dvd release in my country I had to pay around ~450$ for the season. oO
KelrazAug 10, 2019 8:19 PM
Aug 10, 2019 8:18 PM

Jul 2016
They were: DBZ, Naruto, Pokemon and Death Note, and... Nah, but I still can enjoy them tbh(the one that I would enjoy the least is prob Pokemon.).

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

Aug 10, 2019 8:38 PM
魏无羡

Aug 2015
Yes! I wouldn't count DBZ, Digimon, Pokemon, etc; as I was too young to really recall any of it or even follow it, but the first anime I actually sat and watched in it's entirety was Inuyasha and I still hold it dear. Obviously I cherish it partially for nostalgic reasons, but separating myself from that, I still fully enjoy it, no matter how many times I watch it. I'm well aware of it's flaws but there's just something about it I can't help but love. It just resonated with me, and has stuck this whole time.

Aug 10, 2019 11:04 PM

Jul 2019
i was watching anime since i was 4 or 5 years , we had a tv channle called spacetoon, it presents anime with arabic dub , i can remember they had a lot of animes like case closed , dragon ball , hunter x hunter , Monster Rancher and alot , if acount all of them maybe a 1000 animes , but i wont count theam as my first , cause i did not finish all of them ,
i knew that , that kind of animation , is a japanese anime, like 6 years ago, i started watching my first anime with japanese audio and arabic sub that time (but Unfortunately i didn't know it s an addiction that time xD) . i started with death nore , hunter x hunter 2011 , naruto, those 3 anime are what made me otaku , they are definitely my absolute favs , and always will be
That old man surprised me with that bomb.

Aug 10, 2019 11:04 PM

Jun 2019
RAVl said:
Ythe first anime I actually sat and watched in it's entirety was Inuyasha and I still hold it dear. Obviously I cherish it partially for nostalgic reasons, but separating myself from that, I still fully enjoy it, no matter how many times I watch it. I'm well aware of it's flaws but there's just something about it I can't help but love. It just resonated with me, and has stuck this whole time.

You're preaching to the choir here, fellow Inuyasha aficionado. It was my second, remains in my #1 favorite slot, and with nary a prospective dislodge in sight. To me it was, is, and will likely remain the greatest story ever told. A lot of the complaints folks have about it are the filler and repetition, but I love filler and repetition if I love the characters and world enough, as I do with this show, so that doesn't bother me at all and is more of an asset if anything. I like that it takes its time to tell the story rather than a straight march from plot point A to B to C like a runaway train. Wandering around the feudal-era Japanese countryside with the gang is just charming, at times relaxing, at times exciting, and overall pleasant.
Aug 11, 2019 1:05 AM

Jul 2017
not absolute favorites but for sure most of the anime that got me into anime are super high rated and for the most part in my favorites
Aug 11, 2019 1:26 AM

Jun 2019
No. They would be Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, and the highest of those on my list is a 7.

I have that feeling with videogames, but not with anime for some reason. I think it's because I can still fully appreciate new anime, but I fell out of love with videogames so I can only look back fondly on old ones.

Aug 11, 2019 3:48 AM

Aug 2017
Fullmetal alchemist is still one of my favourite franchises. kill la kill isn't one of top ten, but it's still up there. squid girl isn't as good as i remember it, but it's not terrible.
Aug 11, 2019 7:04 AM

Aug 2018
Non of them in my favourites and not even in the top20. Maybe Noragami is good enough to be there, but nor Shimoneta or Kobayashi. Just found some better than them.

Aug 11, 2019 9:06 AM

Nov 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
FacelessVixen said:
If by "first 1-3 anime they ever saw" literally: No. I like Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Digimon and so on well enough. But unlike Escaflowne, I never felt the need to follow up on them after the Saturday morning cartoon era ended.

If by "first 1-3 anime they ever saw" when getting into anime: Yes. I first watched Neon Genesis Evangelion and Fullmetal Alchemist in the mid to late 2000's and they're both in my top three for being pretty decent shows to start off with.

I don't mean literally first anime you ever saw any minutes of. I saw a handful of Pokemon Indigo League episodes out of order on American television when I was 8 before I had the slightest concept of what anime was.

I'm talking about anime you consciously and purposefully sat down to watch in order to completion.

Then yes. I would say that the first anime I sat down to purposefully watch until completion was Death Note and it still remains a favorite.
Live-action Japanese media that I've seen: https://mydramalist.com/dramalist/AmandaBear
Non-Japanese movies & TV shows that I've seen: https://www.imdb.com/user/ur29585794
Aug 11, 2019 9:10 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
I don’t even remember the first anime I’ve watched.
Aug 11, 2019 9:11 AM

Jun 2011
DBZ, Naruto, Bleach and One Piece are the first 4 anime I've ever seen I think, and I still hold DBZ and Naruto dear to me, as well as One Piece even with its declining animation/directing quality. Naruto and DBZ were never my absolute favorite though so yeah.. Even though up to that point all I've seen was Naruto and DBZ, they never gave me the impression that they're the best of the best, but I do love those shows a lot.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Aug 11, 2019 9:31 AM

Feb 2019
Naruto was my 1st anime who i watched as a child, i did finished it tho. But its not in my favorite list. On the other hand, Summer Wars and K Project which was my 2nd and 3rd anime are in my favorites and i have no plan to remove them. Both gave me a really strong first impression to me and got me into anime.
Aug 11, 2019 9:56 AM

Jun 2016
Until like months ago, Death Note (which was the third anime I ever watched from internet) was in my top 10.
Aug 11, 2019 11:07 AM

Oct 2017
Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill are 2 of the first anime that I watched besides Pokemon, and they are still shows that I consider 10/10s to this day. The only thing that surpasses them for me is JoJo.
Aug 11, 2019 12:10 PM
Mar 2018
My first 3 were Vampire Knight, Gunslinger Girl, and Cowboy Bebop. I would only hold Cowboy Bebop as a favorite out of those 3.
I never liked Vampire Knight (yet for god knows why I watched the entire thing) even back then.
As for Gunslinger Girl, the problem is, I've read the Manga, and after having read the Manga, both seasons just feel so incomplete. So if I wanna re-experience Gunslinger Girl, I'm just going to read the manga tbh. However, I do still hold the Gunslinger Girl Manga as one of my favorites (which isn't saying much since I've only completed 7 manga's before)
Aug 11, 2019 12:17 PM

Nov 2018
My first three anime were Kirby Right Back at Ya!, Danganronpa 3 and Wattamote
The Kirby anime still has a special place in my heart but the other two I mentioned weren't that great so
Aug 11, 2019 1:07 PM

Apr 2015
Yes. Those shows have had important influence on me and I re-watch them time to time or at least episodes I liked a lot. Those series being Sailor Moon, Ginga Nagareboshi gin, Dragonball Z, Cyborg 009 2001 version, pokémon Indigo league and Moomins 90's version. Sailor Moon being most loved one tbh.
Aug 11, 2019 4:34 PM

Nov 2015
No, I first started watching anime for dumb reasons, and I'm now watching it for less dumb reasons
Aug 11, 2019 4:37 PM

Jun 2019
Yes, in fact, the anime that made me watch more anime, One Piece, is, easily on my top 5. I'll still consider it a classic, for probably, FOREVER.

I can't wait to see it getting finished, in 4047.
Aug 11, 2019 9:28 PM
Jul 2018
The first few anime I watched are shows like Scrapped Princess & Inuyasha, so definitely no.

The former was unmemorable and I don't have much patience/tolerance for the tropes the latter show has now.
Aug 12, 2019 12:57 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Nah. That's definitely not the case for me. I don't even remember what exactly they were, but I know whatever they are, they aren't my favorites.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Aug 12, 2019 8:11 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Durarara and Yugioh are probably the only one's I recall
Aug 12, 2019 8:16 PM

May 2018
I think my first three were GITS season 2, then season 1, then D Gray Man LOL. The first Ghost in the Shell was pretty darn good from what I remember, but no, sadly neither of my first anime is still an absolute favourite of mine. D Gray Man did have some ass kicking Rock tunes courtesy of Abington Boys School though!
Aug 12, 2019 8:20 PM
Jan 2018
My first two anime I watched when I became an anime fan were Madoka Magica and A Place Further than The Universe. Those are in my favorites.

The third one is probably Darling in The Franxx, and I dropped it.
Aug 12, 2019 10:28 PM
Jean Michel Salt

Oct 2015
For me my first 3 were probably DBZ, naruto and yu gi oh none of them are in my top 20 even the first 3 who really bring me to the medium witch are mirai niki, evangelion and sao. Plus i am curently watching legend of galatick heroes and this as the potential to be my #1 of all time after more than 1000 anime watched.
They are probably even more anime witch can take place in my top 20.

Aug 13, 2019 12:09 AM

Aug 2019
My first three were DBZ, Naruto and Hellsing, but no, there are better ones out there.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

130 by -YaoiBoy- »»
10 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

216 by Coaghim »»
18 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

33 by FanofAction »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 2 hours ago

7 by BitChilly »»
30 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 7 hours ago

24 by Coaghim »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.