Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fruits Basket Collector's Edition
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 26, 2019 9:41 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
More exclusive insight on Arisa's past life as an yankee. I think at this point, she realized how kind Tohru really is as a friend.

Personally, I think this episode (and previous one) to be both important for it establishes more of Arisa's personality and change. She seems to be getting along with Tohru's mom as well. Arisa's life as an yankee was pretty damn tough if you ask me.
Stark700Jul 28, 2019 8:44 AM
Jul 26, 2019 10:30 AM
Sep 2015
It's so unfair. BoyXBoy relationships are treated as a joke while GirlXGirl relationships seem like a real deal. I demand equality in this part!
Jul 26, 2019 10:35 AM

Aug 2013
We get to see more of Arisa's past and her relationships with both Tohru and her mother. Overall a great episode. The after credit bits with the delinquent girls was funny, trying to act like Arisa.

Jul 26, 2019 10:36 AM

May 2019
I definitely agree that this episode and this last episode is important to establish her backstory and what made two opposite personalities like Uo and Tohru even become friends in the first place. I also really like these two episodes because it truly shows how important Tohru's mom was to Uo and gives us all a bigger idea of what type of person Kyoko was.
Jul 26, 2019 10:48 AM

Sep 2015
So this is the first episode that I’ve teared up during in this new season. It was quite unexpected, but Uo talking about growing up with Tohru & Kyoko & then the light going off in the apartment. It just got to me.

I loved the bit with the 3 younger girls. & I’m curious if they’ll show up in a later episode that they show up in the manga for...
Jul 26, 2019 11:10 AM

Feb 2018
I really like Arisa and her backstory. I hope she doesn't fade into the background now.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Jul 26, 2019 11:11 AM

Jun 2014
Another good episode. More Kyouko is always welcome. I hope we finally meet Kisa in the next episode.
Waiting for Gundam SEED Movie..... (ಥ‿ಥ)

Waiting for Sailor Moon Cosmos..... o(≧▽≦)o
Jul 26, 2019 11:17 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Feel-some episode, this definitely activated my tear glands for the first time in this series and I’ve no qualms against it whatsoever.

Uo-Chan’s life as a Yankee was definitely rough but it’s a good thing that she managed to pull out of that pit hole in time, thanks to the presence of Tohru, Kyoko-san and that caring Senpai. Some masterful words from Kyoko-san during the piggyback ride too, kind of reminds me of that one song by Passenger - “you only need the light when it’s dark” etc. Some wonderful depiction of family-hood from her side with the Hondas, and then seeing the lights off there was just .. heart-wrenching. I think my tears gave away before that even but that whole buildup just pummelled me to the ground, I suppose. I wonder how Kyoko-san managed to get away from those Yankees though, did she go berserk there and activate her past prime form or something lol? On a more serious note, I’m looking forward to seeing Hanajima’s side of things next! Lol @ those three kouhai Yankees though, the after credit scene was just gold! I hope to see more of this little mischievous group in the coming episodes.

Having a couple of episodes to open up her side of things really did pay off and I’m just hoping Hana-Chan’s backstory gets a similar amount of focus. Looking forward to more Furuba!

Easy 5/5 Episode!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 26, 2019 12:28 PM

Nov 2018
axel360 said:
I really like Arisa and her backstory. I hope she doesn't fade into the background now.

she's gonna have her own storyline! ;)
Jul 26, 2019 1:11 PM

Sep 2008
This episode continues exploring Arisa's past from the prior episode and adapts the second half of Chapter 40 and the entirety of Chapter 41 from the manga. Did notice some scenes being expanded a bit for the anime, but nothing that altered the plot at all. Here were differences I observed from this episode...

-Like last episode, all the masks worn by the delinquent girls are white in color in the manga instead of black.
-Arisa’s comment to Tohru in reaction to being saved and brought back to her apartment was slightly longer in the manga.
-Tohru’s tense reaction to Arisa proclaiming she can treat her own injuries was not shown in the anime.
-When Arisa observes the memorial photo of Tohru’s father, the manga showed a bit more of his face while still having some light obstructing parts of the photo.
-While Tohru was cooking in the manga, a small bit is removed showing her nervously reacting to the water boiling.
-The anime showed more of the weather report that Arisa was watching on TV.
-The footage shown of a frustrated Arisa confronting her father as she reflected on not being used to a happy family life like Tohru’s was added for the anime.
-Some of Arisa’s monologue during her self-reflection and Tohru reacting to her frustration over this were all added for the anime.
-When Kyoko arrived home to see Tohru and Arisa napping together, she woke them up in the manga.
-When Saki and Arisa hug Tohru back in the present, there is a removed bit in the manga showing Kyo and Yuki internally thinking “Enough” in reaction to the public display of affection.
-When the delinquent girls are discussing about wasting time with taking photos of Kyo and Yuki while attempting to confront Arisa, there is some difference in dialogue over how they are getting photos. In the manga, they mention not able to get the photos developed at a photo shop, while the anime has them complaining of taking too many angle shots of the boys with their cellphone camera.
-The scene showing Kyoko open up her apartment door to Arisa for various days in sequence was added for the anime.
-The scene showing Arisa giving Tohru practice questions for an upcoming test at school was expanded for the anime.
-The scene showing a teacher reacting to Arisa and Tohru being together was expanded a bit for the anime.
-Some more dialogue was added to the scene where Arisa’s delinquent gang questioned her absence within the gang for the anime.
-The anime removed some of the chatter between Tohru’s classmates over her hanging out with Arisa.
-There is more shown of the delinquents beating up Arisa for the anime.
-When Kyoko arrives on the scene, she didn’t yell out to the delinquents in the manga. Plus in the manga, Arisa is shown with some blood trickling down her head from being beaten up as she fades into unconsciousness.
-The anime removed showing Kyo and Yuki being internally annoyed with the commotion between the girls.
-The scene showing the delinquent girls reacting to Arisa casually fending them off was expanded a bit in the anime.
-The scene showing Arisa cooking for her father is slightly expanded in the anime.
-The ending scene with the three delinquent girls was changed for the anime. In the manga, the three are shown fawning over the photos they took of Kyo and Yuki, with one of them irritated that they got no photos taken of Arisa. In the anime, the three are trying to attempt to copy Arisa in varying capacities due to their new admiration of her, including one of the girls literally cosplaying as her when arriving on scene.
ggultra2764Jul 26, 2019 1:15 PM
Jul 26, 2019 1:31 PM

Oct 2008
LOLZ at those three wanna be delinquent girls at the last part! so hilarious!
The episode was wonderful the OST and the heart-warming interactions of the Mother of Tohru & Uo-chan!
5/5.

Jul 26, 2019 1:48 PM

Apr 2015
It makes all so much sense why Arisa looked up to Kyoko-san a lot. Friendships can be a strange thing. Eventho Tohru and Arisa are so different in personality, it's exactly that diversity that makes the best friendships. Honestly loved the backstory of Arisa even if it was a sad one.. The feels, the OST, it was all a perfect match and I was so damn close to weep like a little kid. Kyoko-san was a very admirable person. Very strong episode!
Jul 26, 2019 2:15 PM
Dec 2017
this show is getting better and better
we gonna be stones until stone ocean
Jul 26, 2019 2:16 PM

Oct 2017
Man I loved Uo chans whole story. After watching her story I love her even more now. Both Tohru and Kyoko san r such lovely girls.Also lol that last part after the ed was hilarious af.
Jul 26, 2019 2:30 PM

Jul 2015
Nothing like spending the whole episode trying not to cry, this backstory arc was incredible.
Jul 26, 2019 2:56 PM

Oct 2011
first time I read this part in the manga, I stopped suddenly to avoid cry in public, XD (I was reading in a bus )

this time I could cry freely :v ... really love Uotani's backstory... especially Kyouko's speech when is carrying her back home... and when she say that want to be Tohru's best friend
Jul 26, 2019 3:11 PM

Sep 2011
Tooru and Kyouko didn't save Uo-chan with words alone, they were there for her when she needed it the most. They showed her that another world really existed, and welcomed her to their lives with their seemingly boundless warmth and receptiveness. There were still sad moments, like when she almost distanced herself from Tooru so she wouldn't be judged for being her friend, but it was mostly wholesome stuff. What makes Kyouko being truly gone all the more painful.

She was so full of life, and love, and she felt so easy to approach while still being able to protect those who she cares about. Her death was really a tragedy, but I will try to not think about it too much since even Tooru is doing her best to move on. Kyouko lives on in the heart of her daughter, of her close friends, and also in everyone she touched in some way or another. Uo-chan memories were painful at first, but they were overflowing with light by the end, I loved it, I hope Hana-chan also gets a chance to reminisce about how she got to meet Tooru, Kyouko and Uo-chan too.
Jul 26, 2019 3:26 PM

Apr 2019
Kisa1208 said:
So this is the first episode that I’ve teared up during in this new season. It was quite unexpected, but Uo talking about growing up with Tohru & Kyoko & then the light going off in the apartment. It just got to me.

I loved the bit with the 3 younger girls. & I’m curious if they’ll show up in a later episode that they show up in the manga for...

Or the 3 girls just exist to give Uo an opportunity to show how mature she is now...but I may be wrong, idk

But I'm with you about the light turning off scene...that hit right in the feels
Jul 26, 2019 3:31 PM

Jul 2019
OMG the feels in this episode. They hit all the right emotional strings for me. Uo-chan has really grown as person and her loyalty to Tohru is even more precious to me.

The comedy gold of the delinquents at the end was more HILARIOUS than it should've been. I was not expecting to go from crying to laughing so quickly.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 26, 2019 3:39 PM

Jun 2007
i gotta be honest for me these two episodes about Arisa are the only ones decent in the show so far
see you, space cowperson . . .
Jul 26, 2019 3:53 PM

Sep 2011
Sorvarin said:
i gotta be honest for me these two episodes about Arisa are the only ones decent in the show so far

I wouldn't go that far, but they are by far the best episodes. They were extremely heavy. Honestly I don't think they would have had the same impact without the other episodes.
Jul 26, 2019 4:15 PM

Feb 2018
Two episodes about Arisa are my favorite right now. So heartwarming to watch.
Jul 26, 2019 4:48 PM

Jan 2011
i spent half the episode forcibly holding back tears...i love arisa and her friendship with tohru even more now, and that final scene with her dad was nice to see too ;-;

i hope saki's backstory is just as touching
Jul 26, 2019 4:58 PM
Mar 2015
Kyoko and Torhu really did save Uo-cahn
Jul 26, 2019 5:07 PM

Mar 2018
wank said:
i spent half the episode forcibly holding back tears...i love arisa and her friendship with tohru even more now, and that final scene with her dad was nice to see too ;-;

i hope saki's backstory is just as touching
Same dude. Was trying to hold back the tears for the latter of the episode and man it was tough lol.
Jul 26, 2019 5:58 PM

Sep 2015
LuizFelipeNM said:
Kisa1208 said:

Or the 3 girls just exist to give Uo an opportunity to show how mature she is now...but I may be wrong, idk

But I'm with you about the light turning off scene...that hit right in the feels

I would say that is their main purpose, but they show up in the next manga chapter after these chapters,
but because they moved this up I’m not sure when that chapter is going to be done. Well anyways, it’s not really that important. Haha.
Jul 26, 2019 6:03 PM
Sep 2017
Kyoko was truly a wonderful person - beautiful inside and out. It was lovely seeing how close she, Arisa and Tohru became, and how with what she learned from them, Arisa was able to make things better with her own dad, too. What a heartfelt episode! The speech that Kyoko gave while carrying Arisa piggyback was just absolutely beautiful. Big lump in my throat through a great portion of it!
Jul 26, 2019 6:48 PM

Feb 2016
This anime is so Goddamn heartwarming. Kyoko is Best Mom ever, why she had to die? ;_; And Dam, Uo-chan really grew a lot when she met Tohru (who wouldn't? Tohru is absolutely Adorable and Heartwarming)

The more I watch this, the more I'm confused by the top and the 4th review for this anime on this site. Like, how are they missing the point that hard?
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jul 26, 2019 6:51 PM

Feb 2016
phantomfandom said:
It's so unfair. BoyXBoy relationships are treated as a joke while GirlXGirl relationships seem like a real deal. I demand equality in this part!

If that's your demand, then you might be missing the point entirely

"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jul 26, 2019 7:04 PM

Apr 2014
Man. This episode really knows how to freaking tug my heart strings.
Jul 26, 2019 7:18 PM

Aug 2018
So that concludes Arisa Uotani's backstory : we learned mostly everything we could about herself, that was really interesting ! I don't think there'll be the same for Saki Hanajima (or if it happens, only a single episode), but I'd really like to have the same sort of episode.

I smiled at the end when we discovered her apartment she shares with her father was enlightened and everything seemed back as it was during the good ol' days.
Jul 26, 2019 8:30 PM
Jul 2017
Please tell me that Kisa is next week. 🙏 I will be really mad if Kisa isn’t next. I waited all season plus two more weeks for Kisa.
Jul 26, 2019 9:10 PM

Feb 2014
Uo-chan came all the way from darkness back to seeth the light. Her experiences made her be who she is today.

ggultra2764 said:
This episode continues exploring Arisa's past from the prior episode and adapts the second half of Chapter 40 and the entirety of Chapter 41 from the manga. Did notice some scenes being expanded a bit for the anime, but nothing that altered the plot at all. Here were differences I observed from this episode...

-Like last episode, all the masks worn by the delinquent girls are white in color in the manga instead of black.
-Arisa’s comment to Tohru in reaction to being saved and brought back to her apartment was slightly longer in the manga.
-Tohru’s tense reaction to Arisa proclaiming she can treat her own injuries was not shown in the anime.
-When Arisa observes the memorial photo of Tohru’s father, the manga showed a bit more of his face while still having some light obstructing parts of the photo.
-While Tohru was cooking in the manga, a small bit is removed showing her nervously reacting to the water boiling.
-The anime showed more of the weather report that Arisa was watching on TV.
-The footage shown of a frustrated Arisa confronting her father as she reflected on not being used to a happy family life like Tohru’s was added for the anime.
-Some of Arisa’s monologue during her self-reflection and Tohru reacting to her frustration over this were all added for the anime.
-When Kyoko arrived home to see Tohru and Arisa napping together, she woke them up in the manga.
-When Saki and Arisa hug Tohru back in the present, there is a removed bit in the manga showing Kyo and Yuki internally thinking “Enough” in reaction to the public display of affection.
-When the delinquent girls are discussing about wasting time with taking photos of Kyo and Yuki while attempting to confront Arisa, there is some difference in dialogue over how they are getting photos. In the manga, they mention not able to get the photos developed at a photo shop, while the anime has them complaining of taking too many angle shots of the boys with their cellphone camera.
-The scene showing Kyoko open up her apartment door to Arisa for various days in sequence was added for the anime.
-The scene showing Arisa giving Tohru practice questions for an upcoming test at school was expanded for the anime.
-The scene showing a teacher reacting to Arisa and Tohru being together was expanded a bit for the anime.
-Some more dialogue was added to the scene where Arisa’s delinquent gang questioned her absence within the gang for the anime.
-The anime removed some of the chatter between Tohru’s classmates over her hanging out with Arisa.
-There is more shown of the delinquents beating up Arisa for the anime.
-When Kyoko arrives on the scene, she didn’t yell out to the delinquents in the manga. Plus in the manga, Arisa is shown with some blood trickling down her head from being beaten up as she fades into unconsciousness.
-The anime removed showing Kyo and Yuki being internally annoyed with the commotion between the girls.
-The scene showing the delinquent girls reacting to Arisa casually fending them off was expanded a bit in the anime.
-The scene showing Arisa cooking for her father is slightly expanded in the anime.
-The ending scene with the three delinquent girls was changed for the anime. In the manga, the three are shown fawning over the photos they took of Kyo and Yuki, with one of them irritated that they got no photos taken of Arisa. In the anime, the three are trying to attempt to copy Arisa in varying capacities due to their new admiration of her, including one of the girls literally cosplaying as her when arriving on scene.

Thanks for pointing out the changes.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jul 26, 2019 9:48 PM

Oct 2015
I just love how this show produces quality drama, the best since 3-gatsu no lion! It builds well and is able to engage the viewer with meaningful insights on characters.

I'm glad Uotani didn't leave her father. Tohru and Kyoko really changed her life, more especially Kyoko who said meaningful changing words to her in that piggyback ride.

This show is throwing real blazing storylines right now. If I had an award I would give it!
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 26, 2019 10:56 PM

Apr 2016
Uotani's father seems alright. Your beloved betraying you and running off with some other guy is one of the most crushing things to experience in life. He drinks but doesn't seem to be an angry alcoholic, more like he's just continually depressed and too lethargic to do much. He cooks food for his daughter, which is a blessing many children don't get. He'd be pretty interesting to see more of, but alas that is not the focus of the show.

The fact that Kyoko was still spoken of highly within gang circles - that she is still so well known that the punks of the modern age can recognize her by her description - says a lot about how legendary she is. She'd have to be in the upper echelons of gang lore, or otherwise maybe the gang community is just so small she is one of their few folk heroes anyway.

Too bad Torhu's dad isn't explored. You'd have to wonder what kind of man would make Kyoko drop her thug life to settle down with him. He sounded like a total normie :)

I'm thoroughly enjoying the series thus far. My one complaint is that at times, the dialogue is quite unnatural, with long stretches of uninterrupted monologues apparently spoken out loud to another person and the other person or people don't interrupt or think "oooookay, this guy is off on a long tangent about how people don't recognize there is no shadow without light" and such.
Jul 27, 2019 1:55 AM

Mar 2018
Kyoko's theory on life.
I feel like this could be on some top anime quotes thread
Interesting backstory. I fear what future will hold xd

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Jul 27, 2019 2:23 AM

Aug 2013
Kyouko truly impactful figure in the life of our leads. Man the feels
Don't believe the hype.
Jul 27, 2019 4:41 AM
Mar 2016
So much love for this anime, another heart-warming episode <3
Jul 27, 2019 4:47 AM

Jun 2013
Loved the episode as usual. We didn't have this in the 2001 Anime version.

I knew those young yankee girls were going to look up to Uo-chan, they still have a long way to go.

I hope they'll do a little more on Hanajima and her family. Also, I can't wait to see the other characters that weren't introduced in the 2001 version as well.

BibimbapskiJul 27, 2019 4:50 AM
臭い-
Jul 27, 2019 5:01 AM

Feb 2014
This episode was a powerful hit in the feels for me, and just like the manga version did, it still moved me to tears the same way. ^_^

Kyoko and Tohru were there to help Uotani to change the way she saw her life and started to take the right path. However, the other gang members that Uotani was in were constantly pissed off at Uotani's regular absent appearances, so they wanted to give her some hell for that.

And that moment came when Uotani wanted to leave the gang for good. She knew she was going to get beaten up pretty badly, but even then, it was a little difficult to watch her getting swatted left, right and centre by 20+ gang members.

Luckily, one of them slip away and told Kyoko what was happening to Uotani, so Kyoko went, alone, to rescue her. Not only was her entrance badass, but the fact that she fended the whole gang off AND successfully rescued Uotani and only suffering from a few scratches on her face shows just how powerful Kyoko is.

As she gave Uotani a piggy-back ride back to the Honda apartment, she gave Uotani her wisdom on the her theory of life and it was this segment of the episode that got me shedding the tears, and it certainly made Uotani weep a lot, too. =')

The episode still ended on a funny note, though. Uotani was able to give the wisdom passed to her from Kyoko to the three wannabe gangster girls and they all fell in love with her, with one of them going so far as to dress up the same way as Uotani did AND wear a wig that matches her hair. Creepiness, maybe, but it made me laugh a lot! XD
Jul 27, 2019 6:52 AM
Nov 2015
phantomfandom said:
oh yah ? so make a mowement called no womens, like edd bundy did ...
Jul 27, 2019 6:54 AM

Jan 2011
Best backstory so far on the show. They way they handle character development is magic on this show.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jul 27, 2019 7:31 AM

Dec 2015
Kyoko is such an amazing woman. It's no wonder everyone who knew her love her so much. She, and Uotani after her, are some definite role models.
Jul 27, 2019 8:34 AM

Sep 2017
Absolutely loved it. I'm such a sucker for these family bonding type stories. Probably my favorite episodes so far. Now we just need the Hanajima back story.
Jul 27, 2019 8:43 AM

Apr 2013
This story is so precious. This one and Fruits Basket as a whole.
Jul 27, 2019 11:18 AM

Oct 2017
Audinga23 said:

It's Al Bundy, played by Ed O'Neill
:P
Jul 27, 2019 11:40 AM

Apr 2013
phantomfandom said:

Nah, that's not true. Both are played for laughs. Especially if you count the googly eyed delinquent girl towards the end. You could even say there's quite a few boy/girl moments in this series used as jokes.

Jul 27, 2019 11:56 AM

Jul 2014
A decent enough continuation of last week's backstory, but much more interesting for what we learn about Kyoko than what we learn about Uotani in all honesty. Still, it was definitely a step up from the first half of it, but the overall backstory still feels like it's just slightly lacking the weight it was aiming for.
Jul 27, 2019 1:02 PM
Nov 2015
RainyShadow said:
Audinga23 said:

It's Al Bundy, played by Ed O'Neill
:P
y y i messed up the name my bad
Jul 27, 2019 1:22 PM

Dec 2014
Beautiful episode.

I teared up during the scene where Kyoko-san carried Uo-chan back to their house and when Uo-chan said she wanted to be Tohru's best friend.
I can stress enough how emotionally moving this episode was, Uo-chan trying to change herself because she was finally able to find a true friend and a place where she could belong was just so beautiful. :(
It's a simple thing but a small act of kindness can go a long way in someone's life.

Kyoko-san is such a wonderful person, real shame she had to die. :(
Thankfully, Tohru and Uo-chan carry with them, Kyoko-san's goodness and teachings.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2019

130 by razornamidablood »»
Apr 22, 4:47 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2019

117 by ashura_chan »»
Apr 9, 3:59 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 3, 2019

217 by bruh98hy89 »»
Mar 29, 8:39 AM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2019

231 by Ant161718 »»
Mar 17, 4:33 PM

Poll: » Fruits Basket (2019) Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2019

191 by Nova22 »»
Mar 9, 5:58 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.