Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 16, 2019 9:57 AM
Sep 2018
why does this show gains so much hate from anime fans? what was exactly the wrong thing it did to earn it?

in most places and forums you can see a hell lot of people trashtalking about it, but they do so like with anger, like if they were pissed by it or something.

in the reviews sections the negative reviews get more support than the positive reviews, the recent 3rd season despite having a very good score has 3/4 of its top 4 reviews being negative, one of them even a 1/10 in the 2nd place and it was one of the most recent ones.

also in the poll I made about annoying fanbases, the series got the 2nd place after Jojo and was the only one besides Jojo with over 10% of the votes.

why is this series so hated? is it just because it has become incredibly popular in recent years? what other reason could be? I just don't get it, the series is entertaining, charming, has a likable fun cast, no fillers, among other qualities, so what is it?

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 16, 2019 9:59 AM
Aug 2018
It’s not hated. It’s a great show, it’s just that the more popular something is the more haters it draws in.
Jul 16, 2019 10:04 AM

Nov 2013
I feel like I've seen this thread before.

Complaining when the average score of the show is very high.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jul 16, 2019 10:05 AM

Dec 2016
Haters are everywhere. One of the problems of fans of BnH is that they think the anime is more than what really is. And where you find talking trash of BnH u can see too who praise to much.
Tiago_KTJul 16, 2019 10:09 AM
Jul 16, 2019 10:10 AM

Oct 2017
Because it's popular.

Popular = bad is common on the internet.

Jul 16, 2019 10:13 AM

Sep 2011
I think it's less the show and more the fanbase, since it's one of the most toxic and obnoxious fanbases to come out of anything shonen in the last few years. Also because it's popular and all.
Jul 16, 2019 10:13 AM

Sep 2014
The popular thing always attracts a lot of extreme opinions. I can't imagine one genuinely thinking it's the worst show around, but well, whatever. It's the best circlejerk, to hate on bnha/snk/opm/re:zero or whatever is new and loved.

In any case, don't pay too much attention to the reviews on this site, at least their upvote number. The system is complete garbage and doesn't at all promote good reviews, only the ones from 'popular' reviewers, or upvote-beggars, or those who published their review first (in case of new shows). The top reviews often are a joke like that. Fairy Tail also has a really solid score but the top reviews are negative. So while you might see a lot of negative opinions around, it's the vocal minority, the shows aren't getting that much hate overall.
Jul 16, 2019 10:15 AM

Oct 2015
Heimur said:
Because it's popular.

Popular = bad is common on the internet.

Pretty much.

Some people will only hate a show for the sake of hating. But My Hero Academia is not everyone's cup of tea and I can understand why.

Deku can be a major cry baby at times.

It feels like certain ideas could have been done better, etc.

But I think it's an overall fun show. So I just wouldn't worry about the hate.
"Even if there isn't a God or meaning behind life. That doesn't mean you can't create your own meaning and make the best out of life."
Jul 16, 2019 10:17 AM
Oct 2018
Not everyone has the same tastes you can't expect every one to like what you like.

Also popular ≠ bad, it means that just like there are more people that like it there are more that hate it
Jul 16, 2019 10:19 AM

Jun 2016
Bad cliché characters, lazy writing, predictable jokes, insufferable animu clichés
Jul 16, 2019 10:20 AM

Apr 2019
I guess its because Jojo fanbase had to vote something, lol.
Jul 16, 2019 10:20 AM
Jul 2018
Because it's yet another generic battle anime, aimed at the shounen demographic. It never strays far enough from the formula to deserve praise.

That's basically it. Not really hate, more like indifference I'd say.
Jul 16, 2019 10:25 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
SAO, Naruto, Tokyo Ghoul, Eromanga-sensei, Fairy Tail, Mirai Nikki, Akame ga Kill and the list goes on. All these shows are hated because they became internet famous and popular and thus anime fans decided as a collective entity that they could become 10x cooler if they started acting like they hated these shows 10x more than they actually do on the inside. And thus the domino effect is created and it just gets more and more exaggerated and no one can ever stop it

Is it childish? Yes, of course, but it's a naturally occuring phenomenon and there's not really a good solution to it. Best you can do is just ignore people like that
Jul 16, 2019 10:28 AM

Nov 2011
I just don't get why Jojo is hated.. Jojo is awesome anime, the characters design are great, sometimes can be really funny but at the other times can be really bizarre, and the best thing it can be bizarre and funny at the same time !

Lol, that voting is a different thing with most hated show, it is more about fanboys ...

For me personally, MHA is quite boring, nothing special about it, too formulaic ...
Jim_HeartJul 16, 2019 10:35 AM
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jul 16, 2019 10:31 AM
Nov 2017
It's not being hated, it's just because of the fanbase said this is so good, this is one of the best shonen, which for me, it is not. I don't know about someone that being toxic that said it is trash, but for a person like me, I enjoyed it a little bit, but not as the fanbase said. But, for some reason, I don't enjoy it as much as they are, it made them triggered for some reason.
Jul 16, 2019 10:32 AM

Jan 2019
I have never seen it, but from my experience it gets hate from some for supposedly catering to Western audiences.

Jul 16, 2019 10:36 AM

Oct 2018
Jim_Heart said:
I just don't get why Jojo is hated.. Jojo is awesome anime, the characters design are great, sometimes can be really funny but at the other times can be really bizarre, and the best thing it can be bizarre and funny at the same time !

Lol, that voting is a different thing with most hated show, it is more about fanboys ...
most of the haters I have seen in Internet had never fully watch it and think every jojo fans like those cringy jokes like kono dio da , when in the reality that thing has been dead since 2014 and it gets hated by the actual fans. I do agree jojo fans are annoying though but the show itself is awesome and it has many unique things like
and most of the people who don't like this show have only seen first three parts which are really average in my opinion, the fan of jojo over hype this show a lot though but it's still an entertaining series and honestly every over hype show gets hate these days, you can take attack on titan as a prime example but I actually see more hate for mha more than any mainstream show tbh.
Ri22rkJul 16, 2019 12:36 PM
Jul 16, 2019 10:42 AM

Jun 2019
I really liked the first season of BnH, but am struggling through the second season at the moment. I wouldn't go as far as to say I hate it, far from it, but I am the finding the Tournament Arc rather slow going in terms of story development.

I'll push through & complete the 2nd season, as I remember being satisfied with the 1st season, as even given the slow pacing and over-hyped battles, I do really enjoy the show and it's take on the whole super hero world. Just as with One Punch Man, a world where super heroes have become a daily reality is an interesting subject matter.

People that just hate because something is popular are just trying to be reactionary, to make themselves seem elitist and above the popular mainstream cultural shows.
Jul 16, 2019 10:48 AM

Jul 2017
"so hated"

> 1st season has 8.40
> 2nd season has 8.67
> 3rd season has 8.64

In any show, it's always the haters, which are usually the minority that are generall the most vocally expressive. Unless it's something like SnK S3 P2 where fans need to flex that it's the 2nd coming of christ, any popular show is bound to get a lot of vocal hate. Coupled with the fact that BnHA is a battle shounen, it's obviously bound to get that little bit more hate than other shows.

Judging by the fact that the fanbase was voted 2nd most annoying on your poll, that could also play a part. Idk how to explain it, but there's something about seeing people overpraise something, that kinda makes you want to not like the show.
Jul 16, 2019 10:50 AM

Nov 2016
Sure there might be some My Hero Academia fans that always hype up this anime like it’s the best anime ever which is why the anime gets a lot of hate because of the fans. It can happen to any popular animes in general. Then again, everybody is entitled to their own opinion and there's plenty of other reasons why people don't like the anime.

Jul 16, 2019 10:53 AM

Apr 2017
Could also be an oversaturation of shounen anime, that's kinda why I stopped watching. Too much of any 1 thing is never good...

Jul 16, 2019 11:01 AM

Aug 2017
The fandom is trash,they will assult everybody who doesn't agree with them(If I don't remember correctly they even threatened the author for a draw made by him).The show is really weak and lazy:clichè character with stupid characters arc which most of them doesn't even get it,the story has been already told thousands of times.Also I'm particulary bothered the terrible similarity between the character of Todoroki and the one of Zuko (also the resemblance between Azula and Dabi)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2019 11:05 AM

Aug 2018
I love BnHA, but it's overhyped due to its popularity (like a lot of things now thanks to social media), and I think that's really what people hate the most about it. Everything nowadays that garners even a little bit of mainstream appeal is deemed the "MOST EPIC" or "G.O.A.T".
Jul 16, 2019 11:05 AM
Jul 2018
They are of course pissed bc of the fandom. I also started hating some animes more bc of interacting with the toxic fans.
Jul 16, 2019 11:30 AM

Mar 2015
The more well known something is the more vocal haters it is bound to have.
Jul 16, 2019 11:48 AM

May 2016
Over popularity can lead to mainstream shows getting hated by those who like other shows with not overrated contant.

I admit my self MHA is a show with flaws.
Jul 16, 2019 12:45 PM
Jan 2017
As much as I enjoy BNHA, it is far from being a well written show. Pretty mcuh every character is unoriginal, and there is nothing truly intriguing about the plot. It basically just has nothing going for it, at least in terms of writing quality, so I don't really blame others for not liking it. It doesn't help that the fans are always praising it as the greatest shounen, even comparing it to Hunter x Hunter as if it's on the same level.
Jul 16, 2019 1:01 PM
May 2019
It isn't hated the amount of anime fans that do like it by far outweighs the amount of fans that don't like it.
And why do some anime fans not like it, cause they have a different taste and some fans don't like mainstream shonen anime in general.
Jul 16, 2019 1:17 PM

May 2010
HaXXspetten said:
SAO, Naruto, Tokyo Ghoul, Eromanga-sensei, Fairy Tail, Mirai Nikki, Akame ga Kill and the list goes on. All these shows are hated because they became internet famous and popular and thus anime fans decided as a collective entity that they could become 10x cooler if they started acting like they hated these shows 10x more than they actually do on the inside. And thus the domino effect is created and it just gets more and more exaggerated and no one can ever stop it

Is it childish? Yes, of course, but it's a naturally occuring phenomenon and there's not really a good solution to it. Best you can do is just ignore people like that

LOL wow this is the harshest comment I've seen you give on something like this in years. I'm guessing something irritated you recently?

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 16, 2019 1:26 PM

May 2014
It's a super mid series with a massive and toxic fanbase. Some people hate it because it's popular, some people hate it because the fans, some people just genuinely dislike it and think it's way overblown.

Also you still get hipster cred for hating battle shounen.
Jul 16, 2019 1:30 PM

Jan 2014
I always see people talking about all the haters for this show but I never actually see any real haters LOL
☆・。・。☆・(* ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ~Aphotic ☆・。・。☆・゜
Jul 16, 2019 1:31 PM

Jun 2015
Most popular battle shounen have this sort of reception. It's mostly due to their fans comparing it to other similar shounen and causing a reaction or because avid fans of other shounen try this series with the mindset of "no way this is better than Naruto/AoT/whatever". And this later group use to be kinda vocal even though they might be a minority compared to fans of the genre that just enjoy both their favorite and the new thing.

Don't let it get under your skin if you like it, that's what ultimately matters.
Jul 16, 2019 1:48 PM

Dec 2016
Because it's a battle shounen and it's super popular. No more, no less.
Jul 16, 2019 2:03 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Johan said:
HaXXspetten said:

LOL wow this is the harshest comment I've seen you give on something like this in years. I'm guessing something irritated you recently?
Eh not really. I've always found it pretty pathetic when people bandwagon the general public opinion just to make sure they'll still feel accepted rather than to actually just say what they honestly think. Can apply the same logic to pretty much anything. Doesn't just have to be about anime. Could also be about music taste, your political stance, which football team you support or whatever. Anything opinion-oriented

Human beings are individuals. We're not a hive mind so why act like one. It's silly
Jul 16, 2019 2:05 PM

May 2010
HaXXspetten said:
Johan said:

Eh not really. I've always found it pretty pathetic when people bandwagon the general public opinion just to make sure they'll still feel accepted rather than to actually just say what they honestly think. Can apply the same logic to pretty much anything. Doesn't just have to be about anime

Yeah I don't disagree with you, you know I've been speaking about these issues for years lol.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 16, 2019 2:08 PM
Mar 2016
It's very popular and mainstream. and it's similar to other shounen anime.
From what I've observed, it has a silent majority that doesn't want their anime taste to be called mainstream and basic, so haters appear more vocal (at least on this website). The fanbase is kinda annoying too so maybe that influences more haters.
Jul 16, 2019 2:10 PM
Jun 2015
Because its boring garbage. The characters are as cliche as they come and the plot is for your dumb 25 year old millennial.
Jul 16, 2019 2:14 PM
Dec 2017
proletarian said:
why does this show gains so much hate from anime fans? what was exactly the wrong thing it did to earn it?

in most places and forums you can see a hell lot of people trashtalking about it, but they do so like with anger, like if they were pissed by it or something.

in the reviews sections the negative reviews get more support than the positive reviews, the recent 3rd season despite having a very good score has 3/4 of its top 4 reviews being negative, one of them even a 1/10 in the 2nd place and it was one of the most recent ones.

also in the poll I made about annoying fanbases, the series got the 2nd place after Jojo and was the only one besides Jojo with over 10% of the votes.

why is this series so hated? is it just because it has become incredibly popular in recent years? what other reason could be? I just don't get it, the series is entertaining, charming, has a likable fun cast, no fillers, among other qualities, so what is it?

childish , overrated , overhyped ,generic , the worst protagonist in anime history , sounds like a generic marvel comic .
is this reasons are enough for you ?
i can think of more reason tho....
Jul 16, 2019 2:23 PM
Jun 2015
I dont feel that the show is the primary reason for the hate i would say it's the fanbase that think the show is the best anime ever and that every other anime pales in comparison even though to me its just a average ass shounen. So the reason for the hate is the incredible ignorance and annoyance of the fanbase
Jul 16, 2019 3:10 PM

Jul 2013
Probably because shounen manga overrated and shounen manga are the reason why the anime industry are running out of ideas. Another reason it may be hated is because like all shounen manga, it may be monotonous.
Jul 16, 2019 3:14 PM

Jan 2015
because its the most generic trashy shounen with a whiny shithead main character
also the fanbase is incredibly dumb and obnoxious
Jul 16, 2019 3:18 PM

Oct 2017
Sorry Bro but it's son generic and cliché , Since episode 1 it's great but after of the chapter ... don't know xD
Each chapter of anime/manga is so bored and very predictable ans story very used

A boy who lives in a world where all of them have "qualities" the poor boy does not have (I cry) but out of nowhere he finds his great inspiration and RIN PAN of nothing, has better power than many but is clumsy and blah blah blah

It'ss story very bored guy and bad ,Green Naruto!

-_-ValJul 16, 2019 3:22 PM
Jul 16, 2019 3:22 PM
Jul 2018
@Johan
@Manaban
You two criticize my threads for asking people why they feel the way they do about something. Thread posters like the OP do literally the same thing.
Your logic is self-contradictory.

Anyway, back on topic, probably the biggest reason MHA gets hated is simply for how popular it is. But if I had to find a reason why someone would hate this series, maybe it's because of the corny tone, aesthetics, and premise.

Issmail22Lawfy said:
proletarian said:

childish , overrated , overhyped ,generic , the worst protagonist in anime history , sounds like a generic marvel comic .
is this reasons are enough for you ?
i can think of more reason tho....

I understand childish, maybe generic marvel comic, but worst protagonist in anime history? I don't understand why anyone would hate Deku. He's a very conventional character, but nothing about him seems unlikable or bland.
Jul 16, 2019 4:51 PM

Jul 2017
Who cares about that. What matters is your own opinion of it. In my case, i really love the show, and i'm clearly not afraid to show my affection towards it, it was also one of the first anime i've watched when i've started to get into anime seriously. I just wonder why some people who hate the show just continue watching it past its 1st and 2nd seasons, that's just curious. And some of them even give the most pathetic and baseless opinions i've ever seen that i just feel sorry for them, but then again, there's no point in even arguing with those people, if they hate it, they hate it, that's all there is to it, might as well respect that and move on.
Jul 16, 2019 4:55 PM

Oct 2017
i don't think mha is hated at all. there's a small group of people who use it as a focal point to criticize the anime industry and the focus on blockbuster-type shows, but in general the show has seen wide acclaim and appreciation for its consistent level of quality.
Jul 16, 2019 4:59 PM

Mar 2015
From the way I see it, the show isn't really that hated. It's the fanbase that's hated.

woah there
Jul 16, 2019 5:00 PM

Mar 2018
It's not really the show that is hated but more the fandom surrounding the show that seems to receive more backlash. Don't let it stress you though, if you enjoy the show enjoy it!
Jul 16, 2019 5:03 PM

Oct 2017
HaXXspetten said:

oi man if these shows became hated by anime fans because of their surge in popularity then why isn't that the case for all 2010s shows that explode on the online anime community? there isn't a mass movement of haters for attack on titan, re:zero, one punch man, etc. despite these shows being popular just like those others.

what differentiates the former group from the latter group? because whatever it is distinguishes shows that receive hate from shows that don't. it's not hype or popularity because the latter category is just as hyped as the shows you mentioned.

sorry that a large number of people don't like the shows you do, but that doesn't mean they're hungry for clout. if you need something to hate, don't hate this imaginary anime counterculture movement you've dreamed up, and respect other people's legitimate preferences.
Jul 16, 2019 5:05 PM

Nov 2016
I don't really hate the show itself. I quite Love the Manga Actually. What Hate is the fanbase. Some people extern their hate for the fabase by rating the show iself lowly.

Its also another case of people thinking "Popular=Bad" when that is far from reality.

Dolabella said:

oi man if these shows became hated by anime fans because of their surge in popularity then why isn't that the case for all 2010s shows that explode on the online anime community? there isn't a mass movement of haters for attack on titan, re:zero, one punch man, etc. despite these shows being popular just like those others.

Seems like some one wasn't paying attention to the forums for some time. All of those shows have had Mass Hater Movements in the past. OPM just got its hater movement with S2 when that started. Re,Zero has a lot of Vocal Haters along with AOT. They May not be as easy to find but there a lots. Anything popular will also attract haters. That is just how popularity works.
GokaiKingJul 16, 2019 5:12 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2019 5:22 PM

May 2010
Afloo said:
I don't really hate the show itself. I quite Love the Manga Actually. What Hate is the fanbase. Some people extern their hate for the fabase by rating the show iself lowly.

Its also another case of people thinking "Popular=Bad" when that is far from reality.

Dolabella said:

Seems like some one wasn't paying attention to the forums for some time. All of those shows have had Mass Hater Movements in the past. OPM just got its hater movement with S2 when that started. Re,Zero has a lot of Vocal Haters along with AOT. They May not be as easy to find but there a lots. Anything popular will also attract haters. That is just how popularity works.

Lmfao Re:Zero is one of the 3 or 4 most hated anime of all time.

AoT though has never really seemed to generate the same level of animosity. Oddly enough.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 30 minutes ago

13 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 7 hours ago

18 by Catalano »»
6 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 14 minutes ago

1 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
7 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

65 by -YaoiBoy- »»
8 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

57 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.