Forum Settings
Forums

Quitting MAL. Why i have switched to Anilist.

New
Jul 13, 2019 5:08 PM

Mar 2018
The amount of customization for your lists and all that is amazing. I have always wanted a more refined/accurate scoring system than compared to MAL's 1-10 with no decimals, then AniList came around and in terms of these features, it is all I ever wanted. It has a handful different scoring options; you can go from a literal "thumbsup/thumbsdown" system all the way up to the site calculating a percentage/decimal score based on a number of (custom) categories. I spent few hours gloating over the features, when I switched.

And while they are not as important to me anymore as they used to be, the average scores for shows on AniList reflect the younger audience. Therefore I still use MAL to read up scores, reviews, VAs, news and so on. This kind of information tends to be way more complete and reliable there too.
AniList has better genre filtering, way more specific than what MAL currently offers.

Anilist users in my experience tend to be less toxic. Many users here start confrontations in the forum section (Which by the way, looks very dated for 2019.)
tldr;

AniList for personalization (lists, favourites etc.)

MAL for information (don't need an account for that tho)

AniList is also a little more aesthetically pleasing and the mobile app, Anitrend is a breeze to use.

Techon6002Jul 13, 2019 5:15 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 13, 2019 5:19 PM
Jul 2018
Yes, the scoring system and design options are amazing.
Also they have more manwha there, I think. There had been one manga and one manhwa, I added on MAL, but didn't find on anilist.
Compared to that there were five or six manhwa so far that I found on anilist, but not on MAL.
I'm using both, tho. The forum structure is clearer here. It works with tags on anilist.
Jul 13, 2019 5:23 PM

Jan 2009
the only reason im not switching completely to AniList is its low user activity (due to low number of users) and the slow response time (not yet optimize good yet)

but other than those nitpicks i have AniList is indeed better and even Kitsu is better than MAL too although Kitsu is dying anyway
Jul 13, 2019 5:41 PM

Aug 2014
I removed my scores because it diminished my enjoyment of anime (I only watch for my own enjoyment, after all), so a refined scoring system isn't even a feature I care about. MAL has a special place in my heart thanks to all the great friends I've met here. I'm sure other sites are more useful in certain ways, but personally, I have no interest in spreading my wings, so to speak.
Jul 13, 2019 6:02 PM

Dec 2013
If I actually bothered updating my list I might consider your argument :'D

I literally came here just for the forums and filled the list out of obligation.
Jul 13, 2019 6:06 PM

Jul 2007
We were all wondering where you'd gone.

Anilist looks like it was designed purely to be used on a small mobile phone. On my display I can fit a stonking 9 forum topics on my screen at any one time whereas on MAL it's more like 25. Apparently I need sodding Javascript turned on just to browse the website. No thanks.
Jul 13, 2019 6:40 PM

Apr 2015
Yo dude please don't go I already miss you so much
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Jul 13, 2019 6:47 PM

Jun 2014
The AniList forums are really hard on the eyes, and have that stupid "scroll down forever" thing that I hate.

Jul 13, 2019 8:06 PM

Oct 2014
Haven't been on AniList since the great MAL depression last year, but from what I remember I hated it with a passion. No idea if they've changed anything since then though.
Jul 13, 2019 8:13 PM
Feb 2017
Have a good time over there, your presence will be missed.
Jul 13, 2019 10:39 PM

Aug 2018
I like the look of Anilist but the forum structure is a mess and the user activity is too low. Also as you stated MAL's information and way of presenting it is better. I hope the activity improves over time, we need a good alternative to MAL. MAL's review system is a joke and the tagging system on MAL needs improvement. Forum activity and quality is also on a steep decline due to discord.
<Insert clever quote>
Jul 14, 2019 1:45 AM

Aug 2016
I hear about Anilist quite a lot, so after I've seen this post I registered there.
Disclaimer: I don't want to spend years customizing the site to my needs (like MAL css stuff...). Which means I am no styling expert neither for MAL nor for anilist. I gave anilist half an hour use time. Here are my impressions so far:

pros:
- Dark Mode everywhere! this is awesome. Idk why MAL does not have it. My favourite feature by far (don't have to use browser plugins)-
- overall more modern and nice looking design
- custom lists. Also more extensive list filters and ordering options
- Stats for your anime list, no need to use anime.graph
- Anime reviews can actually have a formatting, not just plain text like on MAL.
- filters seem to be much more extensive. You can search not only my members/score and date but also by other stuff. Search in general is much more convenient
- Randon button, which can be used on filtered lists. So finally I can use the RNG to determine my next anime from my PTW. Don't have to go to random.org for that. Awesome.

cons:
- the main page "browse" is sorted by seasonal anime by default. I don't really care about seasonals, since I watch only completed anime. Haven't found any way to change that.
- again the main page shows me big ass anime covers. I don't need this. MAL has a list with small thumbnails which is much nicer imo. You can see many more anime on one screen. Also the anime score percentages have small font size and are same color as the text. Haven't found any settng to change this.
- Forums are inactive, although not a big of a deal, since MAL/reddit exists
- Personal con: Different scoring systems. Instead of 1-10 we can choose to have 1-100 scale. I am not going to argue which scale system is the better one (they all suck imo). But at this point I will have to migrate all my 1-10 MAL scores and give the animes some decimal numbers. Too much work. I don't see the point to move to anilist just for the scoring system. It does not provide anything radically different.
- Anime list does not have numbering! Why??? I like MAL numbering my anime list, because then I can do stuff with it. anilist just tells me how many anime I have on my list. I need those numbers damn!
- Where is the "news" section? either it does not exist or I didn't find it. There is one in forums section but it looks like the same as news forum section here on MAL. I liked MAL news being on front page.

conclusion:
I think anilist is more pleasant stylistic-wise. Has better filters and is much more "cleaned-up". In future I may use anilist for tracking my anime and continue use MAL for occacional forum discussions.
Jul 14, 2019 8:24 PM
Jul 2018
I mean, it can't hurt to make a backup/secondary list on Anilist, but I'd definitely use MAL as the main anime list site, and definitely for participating in the forums. The forums on Anilist don't look that great.
Jul 14, 2019 8:45 PM

Jul 2014
Yeap I use Anilist as well, more modern looking and gives us more favorite lists, its really more pleasing to the eyes than MaL is, it also has more manga and manhwa there as I couldn't find some manhwa's and manga that I read here but found it there. There's also a favorite studio list so thats a plus.
MaL tho from my experience has a bigger community and better forum use.
So I use MAL for discussions but Anilist for keeping up with my favorite animu's/manga's/manhwa's and customizing.
Jul 14, 2019 10:37 PM

Oct 2013
That's great and all, but MAL fits my needs just fine. I don't really need all the extra list customization you mentioned. And you may be right about the Anilist people being a little nicer, but it's not like I can't deal with a few toxic idiots. Still not as bad as other platforms.
Jul 15, 2019 12:20 AM

Oct 2010
Were tou payed to make this ad for anilist? I like mal and nothing can change my mind.
Jul 15, 2019 2:44 AM

Oct 2016
Use whichever you want, dude. UI-wise, MAL is arguably more pleasing, but in terms of getting the actual job done (keeping track of your chinese cartoons) , both are perfectly adequate
Jul 15, 2019 2:46 AM

Nov 2011
I don't use MAL for listing. I don't even bother updating it until the series ends.

Jul 15, 2019 2:54 AM

Jan 2013
I'm sure your absence will be grieved.
Jul 15, 2019 2:59 AM
May 2019
It doesn't have to be either or you can use both, but if you prefer just anilist that is fine too😊

Jul 15, 2019 3:50 AM

Feb 2016
why even post your anilist link in your profile? no one fucking cares LOL
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jul 15, 2019 4:05 AM

Jul 2013
I got a lot of shit to say that people need to know so I stay on MAL. Funny though cause I looked at the scoring system of anilist and liked it so I decided to make an account only to find out that I already have one, who knows when I made that but I'm going to use it as backup.
Jul 15, 2019 10:18 AM
Jul 2018
So you make a whole thread dedicated to you moving to Anilist? Trying to convert people or something? You think you're some celebrity? Get the fuck out of here and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Jul 15, 2019 10:28 AM

May 2013
To be fair, MAL is the original listing site. So it's not like Anilist didn't just rip them off.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jul 15, 2019 12:02 PM

Jul 2017
im using both
each has their ups and downs anyway
Jul 16, 2019 2:33 AM

Jun 2019
Yeah I like anilist as well but mal has better forums.
Jul 16, 2019 9:14 AM

Jun 2016
MAL is a fine example of the free marketplace of ideas gone wrong.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2019 11:54 AM

Feb 2018
MAL is actually the very first anime-manga related site that I've signed in and honestly I am loving it way too much. I don't see myself leaving the site unless for a reason it goes down but only and then only dammit!
Jul 16, 2019 3:56 PM

Mar 2010
This is more like a advertisment then a casual discussion lol.

Only reason why I would move is because of the manga database but I still prefer MAL minimal style.
I am already using Anime Planet as a replacement for MALs database so myAnilist is staying as a backup. I used Anilist during the months without MAL but it didn't wow me into staying.

later op
Jul 16, 2019 4:40 PM

Apr 2014
cya later dood, have fun :]
ill meet u thar
Jul 17, 2019 7:41 AM

Oct 2012
I love scoring my anime and refine it obsessively. I'm gonna lose my fucking mind if I start thinking about half scores and shit lmao
Jul 17, 2019 4:37 PM
Jul 2019
9lTotally agree with you Buddy 👍 anilist has better features overall, and a less toxic community. Also the discord is friendly, user Maora is a boss :)
Jul 17, 2019 5:06 PM

Mar 2010
:/ for calling me out and then deleting your comment.
I was just saying it seemed more like a advertisement because he was posting all the good things about Anilist but didn't ask for anyone else's opinion and wrote it in the casual discussion forum.
Jul 17, 2019 5:11 PM

Sep 2010
I use both for scoring actually I like that I can rate everything like music,characters,animation,etc.. I use the 1~10 decimal system which give me more of an accurate score unlike here

As for here the forums are so much better and more organized over on Anilist not so much.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jul 17, 2019 11:52 PM

Aug 2017
I'm glad that you and 1% think so...

Don't come back.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 18, 2019 2:06 AM

Jan 2018
I only watch anime instead of reading manga. I'm also fine with the current scoring, the interface and all of MAL currently is easy to load/use/click so I find it enough for me. I want isekai as a genre :p

Just because some people throws insult here and there, now and then there would be many chill people here as well. If I respect them, it should be enough for them to stay here longer, even if it's just for a day.
Jul 20, 2019 10:09 AM

Nov 2008
Never heard of that site. That's the worst name for an anime site ever. Instantly thought of anilingus.

Jul 20, 2019 10:20 AM
May 2018
I don't know, for all its problems, MAL was good enough for me since 2007, and I dedicated a lot of my time to it, and also gained a lot from it...
Community is also, for most part, good.

So it is kind of too late to abandon it now.

I do visit ANN often, and rarely AniDB.
Jul 23, 2019 2:27 PM

Jul 2014
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion.

Casual Discussion Rules 1: Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage discussion.
Take care of yourself

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

46 by Dracowyn »»
5 minutes ago

» Looking for friends | Cultural exchange and otaku conversations

KMIR - 7 minutes ago

0 by KMIR »»
7 minutes ago

» What jobs do you all have? ( 1 2 )

AnxiousMike - Feb 11, 2023

83 by Dracowyn »»
13 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

34 by LoveYourEyes »»
21 minutes ago

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

37 by Voila_ »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.