Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 13, 2019 8:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Interesting OP song...

Also, the info dump from Lord El-Melloi himself about the various families and modern magic. I'm curious to see how this show will handle Lord El-Melloi and Gray's relationship. Right now, Gray is an apprentice. Looks like they got a bloody murder case this episode. Lord El-Melloi's knowledge about magic and his intellect impresses me, especially when he analyzed the case.

Gray also showed some talents with her own magic.
Stark700Jul 13, 2019 9:46 AM
Jul 13, 2019 10:01 AM

Mar 2018
An OP without vocals is always interesting... and Yuki Kajiura is one of the very few that can actually put out this kind of amazing work and create suspense... Totally sold.
Normally, I'm not really an ED type of person, but this one is also really soothing to listen to. Soothing is the correct word for this!!

Seems Gray will also get more screentime with the "Can I rely on you?".
Nice classic murder episode.

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Jul 13, 2019 10:02 AM

Aug 2013
That was an interesting OP. The ED is nice

Gray's hairstyle is like that of saber. Though I wonder why she hides it.

So they had to solve a murder case.

Jul 13, 2019 10:04 AM

Apr 2016
Hmm i really do wonder what this first half of the season will bring, considering it's anime original, will it be just like this episode ? Im actually curious what the director and the staff can come up with. Like this was a fine episode and all, we got to see Add and Gray's "superpower" in action, oh and the engrish lol, but wonder if they show us the backstory of Gray, i hope they do cuz that ones's good.

Also come on, it was kinda given that the dude "killed" himself. And his daughter is as ambitious as her father lol.
SwagernatorJul 13, 2019 10:08 AM
Jul 13, 2019 10:12 AM

Nov 2010
Already better lesbian romance than all of KyoAnis yuri bait shows together. :D
Jul 13, 2019 10:13 AM

Dec 2013
Is English sub as bad as last week?
Jul 13, 2019 10:48 AM

Mar 2015
I'm happy that Kajiura stepped up her work for this show, as a fan, her recent works have been pretty lacking in the inspiration departament, hope it keeps getting better.

For the show, i'm already liking it more than Fate UBW.
Jul 13, 2019 11:02 AM
Mar 2018

Leo said:

You'll see why in the future. Unless you want spoilers which i can provide
Jul 13, 2019 11:07 AM
Oct 2018
Leo said:
That was an interesting OP. The ED is nice

So they had to solve a murder case.

Mod edit: added spoiler tag
BarnaldJul 13, 2019 11:55 AM
Jul 13, 2019 11:08 AM

Sep 2017
It's pretty weird for me to watch a mystery show where everything is basically just made-up magical logic. I mean, I can't see the fun of a detective story if there is no way you can participate in solving the puzzle. Nothing makes you think "oh that's clever!" because everything is ad hoc.
Jul 13, 2019 11:16 AM

Feb 2015
This was too fast paced, but it looked very nice. The seemingly nonsensical English was also kind of lame. This probably should have been stretched out to an episode or two, or completely ignored in favor of a bit more backstory.
Jul 13, 2019 11:24 AM

Nov 2009
Holy crap this was boring. Just when you thought Fate couldn't get any worse. They shit out a show that's exclusively about tediously delivered magical exposition starring the whiny brat from Fate/Zero. Then again, knowing the franchise, the fans would still eat this up as if it was some sort of holy grail.
Jul 13, 2019 11:34 AM
Aug 2017
To be honest, im dissapointed what Waver, one of my favourites in Zero, bacame.
He is stoic and boring and all of his charme is gone.
And why is he so big now? In Zero he was 1,57m with 19, now he looks like 1,90!

Im also dissapointed in the content of the episode. They were just sitting and talking and standing and talking and little bit of action at the end.
Jul 13, 2019 11:54 AM

Aug 2013
that plot twist in the end caught me of guard, I literally said "WOT" out loud kek
the daughter is fricking lesbian

the murder mystery is ok tho
Jul 13, 2019 12:04 PM

Jul 2015
Okay, this was an interesting episode.
I kinda liked all the info dump.
As a Fate/GO player, i thought i was going to see Olga Marie.. but :( it was fine nonetheless. I just know that she will appear in future episodes.
Also, that Seiba Face.. i was intrigued and interested in her back story but i read(red) the spoiler^ like a Baka..
Anyways.. I am kinda hyped for Next Week.
Jul 13, 2019 12:05 PM

Aug 2010
CHC said:
It's pretty weird for me to watch a mystery show where everything is basically just made-up magical logic. I mean, I can't see the fun of a detective story if there is no way you can participate in solving the puzzle. Nothing makes you think "oh that's clever!" because everything is ad hoc.

That's a case of what knowledge of the Nasuverse does for enjoying a spin-off.

The moment the daughter Mary said "he was obsessed with eternity" and "Life is too short to reach the Root", I instantly went "Yup, he did it to himself."

There are at least 3 other people in the Nasuverse that did something very similar to themselves to reach the Root and/or other goals that require time that's beyond that of a single human's life span. These are Roa, Zouken, and Wallachia.

You didn't need to know how the made-up magic worked, but you needed to read between the lines and go wilder with your imagination or to just have background into that world.
Jul 13, 2019 12:32 PM

Sep 2017
astroprogs said:
CHC said:

The moment the daughter Mary said "he was obsessed with eternity" and "Life is too short to reach the Root", I instantly went "Yup, he did it to himself."

There are at least 3 other people in the Nasuverse that did something very similar to themselves to reach the Root and/or other goals that require time that's beyond that of a single human's life span. These are Roa, Zouken, and Wallachia.

You didn't need to know how the made-up magic worked, but you needed to read between the lines and go wilder with your imagination or to just have background into that world.

That's pretty obvious that he has done it to himself, but I mean, the charm of a mystery story comes from the deducting from the clues we are presented to every details of the procedure of the crime. You would never be able to come up with "ah, the Earth must represent the soul, and therefore his soul must be buried here!" You come up with an answer because it's an identifiable trope, not because the conclusion strictly follows from the given clues.

People go crazy because of a desire for eternity is in itself a pretty worn-out trope. If it's less meant to be a detective story and more about the psychological study of a character, then I don't think episode has presented anything very interesting in that respect either.

I guess it's more about the fascination with the world-building of type-moon universe for people who are already a big fan of the franchise?
Jul 13, 2019 12:36 PM

Sep 2014
Didn't expect the OP having no vocals but that's fine since the song is pretty good. ED was good too. The episode was fine but I think the mystery case could have been more interesting and less predictable. Gray looking like Saber caught me more off guard than the case's twist.
Jul 13, 2019 12:56 PM

Aug 2010
CHC said:
astroprogs said:

That's pretty obvious that he has done it to himself, but I mean, the charm of a mystery story comes from the deducting from the clues we are presented to every details of the procedure of the crime. You would never be able to come up with "ah, the Earth must represent the soul, and therefore his soul must be buried here!" You come up with an answer because it's an identifiable trope, not because the conclusion strictly follows from the given clues.

People go crazy because of a desire for eternity is in itself a pretty worn-out trope. If it's less meant to be a detective story and more about the psychological study of a character, then I don't think the episode has presented anything very interesting in that respect either.

I guess it's more about the fascination with the world-building of type-moon universe for people who are already a big fan of the franchise?

Ah, I get what you mean now.

I think the clues the show presented were geared more towards figuring out who did it, rather than how, because the answer will always be "Magic". I can definitely see how such a story would feel lackluster as a mystery story, but I'm fine with how such a short story introduced characters, concepts, a mystery, resolved said mystery with a twist and still came out coherent once all the threads are revealed, all in a single episode.

And yeah, a big part of why this how feels great to old fans is because of all the lore, concepts, and main character dynamics. The intrigue and mystery are definitely still there, but not every case will give you all the tools to solve them before Waver does. This particular case seems to be about demonstrating how Waver solved a Magecraft case and a glimpse of Gray's secrets. The episode didn't seem like it tried to present a solvable case, in terms of the howdunit, for the viewer in the first place and had different narrative targets and priorities. That's what makes me fine with it.

Will this change in the upcoming episodes and start focusing on the cases once all the necessary introductions are done? Perhaps. People I know who read the source material compare Case Files a lot to Detective Conan in terms of how cases are solved, and god knows how that show certainly doesn't present all the facts beforehand in every single case Conan solves.
astroprogsJul 13, 2019 1:03 PM
Jul 13, 2019 1:23 PM

Sep 2018
Oh, great. Another tedious exposition dump on how the magic system works that fails to explain anything at all. More overuse of bad English. Yet another Saberface. And, of course, an abundance of stupid character names. Excellent audio and visuals, but that's a given and doesn't really make up for the poor worldbuilding and other Fate tropes. I really don't know why I bother with this franchise.

This episode really suffered from what I like to call the "Sherlock" problem. As CHC mentioned above, it's impossible for the viewer to truly "participate" in the mystery and try to solve it for themselves (which, for me, is where a lot of the fun in the detective/mystery genre comes from) because most of the clues are hidden behind poorly-explained Nasuverse magibabble and other plot elements the viewer could never guess or figure out on their own.
Jul 13, 2019 1:28 PM
Jul 2015
Did they ever explain why the brother was killed?

Not sure why they are doing anime original material when there are 10 volumes of books they could adapt. I really like Waver and the mystery setting, but I think this could be even better if there was less Nasu-verse magic babble and a less episodic formula(which appears will be the case for the 1st few episodes)
Jul 13, 2019 1:30 PM

Jul 2016
Great episode. Liked the atmosphere in these series. Gray is cute, and she showed her power. Waver is cool this episode, helping his student. OP is good but ED is great. Overall great first case.

Jul 13, 2019 1:37 PM

Dec 2013
ED lyrics anyone?
Jul 13, 2019 2:03 PM
Dec 2015
YoshiYogurt said:
Did they ever explain why the brother was killed?

Not sure why they are doing anime original material when there are 10 volumes of books they could adapt. I really like Waver and the mystery setting, but I think this could be even better if there was less Nasu-verse magic babble and a less episodic formula(which appears will be the case for the 1st few episodes)

The deceased also said he wanted the life of his daughter, so I guess it was the same with the cousin.
Jul 13, 2019 2:38 PM

Oct 2010
Engrish was really lame lol. Entire boss fight was lame.
Jul 13, 2019 2:42 PM
Sep 2016
OP and ED were great, and I really like the episode itself, I hope the following stories happens over more than one ep so thay we learn more about the characters.
Jul 13, 2019 2:52 PM

Jul 2013
I don't like Gray much. Independently of her backstory, she's just another excuse to introduce another Saberface into a Fate-related work, which was not really necessary in this spin-off.

I'm glad to see I recognized M.A.O's character (the maid), just in the moment she talked. Also the cousin of that girl had what is probably the most ridiculous design Typemoon has ever made since Lion-Edison of FGO.
Jul 13, 2019 3:01 PM

Jul 2017
I'm really liking it this far. Waver has a wide range of knowledge, and that really helped to solve this murder case swiftly. My boy has matured a lot! And Gray's scene was amazing, she looks like Saber, but i wonder why she hides her hair, she really is a mysterious one.. i hope we get to learn more about her throughout the series. Waiting for the next episode!
Jul 13, 2019 3:11 PM

Aug 2010
Illyricus said:
I don't like Gray much. Independently of her backstory, she's just another excuse to introduce another Saberface into a Fate-related work, which was not really necessary in this spin-off.

You're basically saying "If we took away all the plot reasons she's a Saberface, there's no reason she's a Saberface".

Come again?

I mean, yeah, duh, of course. Unless I'm misunderstanding your point, this sentence doesn't make any sense.
Jul 13, 2019 3:39 PM
Jul 2018
Just finished the episode with a friend and I do have to admit, for a series that takes a character from Zero (which I don't think is that good aside from the sequel which is zero 2nd season), I am actually intrigued how they handled him in here. The writing isn't fantastic by any means, but the sense of mystery and progress is there, and it does show some form of growth towards him as a character.

Also, Gray is probably one of my favorites thus far, especially with her fight even if it's small. And with her mentioning that chant I felt a chill on my spine. That's pretty neat to see.
Jul 13, 2019 3:40 PM

Jun 2015
The ED was super cute. And the Engrish was hilarious. It's also pretty interesting to see a main protagonist that acts as a mentor to people like Mary rather than a mentee continuously growing. It's a fresh dynamic that we don't really see much in anime.

Otherwise, it was an okay episode.

I will echo the sentiment that being unable to figure out the HOWDUNNIT does detract from the mystique of a mystery case. There's a reason, for example, why FGO's mystery collab event involved no magic at all, and that's because you really can't write a convincing mystery case with magic unless the magical system is completely clear and transparent. And Nasuverse magic is definitely not clear and transparent in many cases, especially when it's written by several different authors.

And the WHO/WHYDUNNIT in this case gets pretty obvious early in, so the mystery itself just falls flat.

I'm not too charmed with the visuals this episode either. Everything seems too blurry and bright, to the point where most of the daytime scenes look washed-out. They need to add some darker shades, because outside of the fight scene, the visuals look drab.

Jul 13, 2019 3:49 PM

Apr 2015
Interesting approach for the Opening, only instrumental. I like it, nice change of pace. With the way the Anime is setup, I can see why they choose for such an opening.

The case was kind of interesting, yet slightly predictable.

Visuals and sound are pretty good.

Gray being a saberface surprised me. I sure don't mind that though!
Jul 13, 2019 4:00 PM

Oct 2012
A lot better than previous filler introductory episode. It didn't really worked as mystery episode (I believe they kinda struggled to capture the atmosphere of Poirot stories) because the viewer wasn't given enough information to guess it on their own (and it was bit rushed) but it was still enjoyable as the events of episode unfolded into rather bittersweet ending.

If this series follows this episode structure (one case a week) I would probably keep watching even further as each episode would be fresh.

Oh, and to see Arturia reborn, what a shock. Kinda interested in how she came to be and what she can do now. How long this is after the 4thHGW again? She is probably about 15, wasn't she already alive during the both wars?
Jul 13, 2019 4:31 PM
Jul 2018
Kuyashii
Another Saber clone, at least I expected some assassin but not an effing Saber, got me mad as hell because everything until that was awesome
Jul 13, 2019 4:49 PM

Jul 2015
Mystery was kind of flat, they made it very obvious, so I'm hoping that whatever comes after this, if it's mystery stuff like this, really ups the game. That being said, I always enjoy seeing fate stuff when I do see it despite not being all that into the series to really keep up with where things are.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jul 13, 2019 5:24 PM
Mar 2017
Well, this episode I liked a lot, Lord Melloi II solving a new case imposed by his lenders, a very particular murder if you ask me, I liked how Lord Meloi's hypothesis suggested that everyone had a motive and he did not focus full on a single individual, I like that he shuffles all the options.

The mysterious atmosphere that was given to the mansion I liked very much, gave the impression that something unpredictable would happen at any time.

Mary surprised me when Lord the Melloi accused her of being a suspect at the end of the episode and she insinuated the possibility that she had let her father do the ritual knowing that he would fail, but most of all, I liked that part where we see as she and Claire hold hands as if they celebrate their freedom by the death of the father and lord who mistreated and tormented them for so long.

Gray on the other hand left me amazed by her incredible combat ability and that scythe she owns, but without doubt I was intrigued by her resemblance with Saber (king Arthur), I think it's the first time I see her hair, with the hood i never come to think that she looks like Saber, now I'm curious to know why this resemblance with her.

The OP without vocals was nice, especially the visuals that we see during this, Reines is so beautiful, but I feel that she will go through some catastrophe that will attack her life (it's just my theory).
The ED is too beautiful, to see Gray go through all the seasons of the year with the people she knows and in the end her teacher arrives to cover her from the rain, besides the song is quite melancholic, ASCA sometimes has that effect on me when I listen to her songs.
Jul 13, 2019 5:51 PM

Jan 2015
Nice animation in the OP.
So this will be episodic I guess.
Jul 13, 2019 6:07 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
eh, it was a step down form last episode.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 13, 2019 7:17 PM

Oct 2015
Never thought the victim was the perpetrator all along! What's more surprising is that Mary, her daughter knew he was planning that taboo immortality ritual and never called him out. I get she wanted to make him see the futility of eternal existence, but why call the Lord and then hide it? The hypocrisy in her is sky high.

Liked Gray's badass mode though, she could be related to Saber somehow?
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 13, 2019 7:53 PM

Aug 2015
nice Kara no Kyoukai kinda feel, though we still have not gotten to the story promised in the teaser text which promised me Luvia, dammit

dammit Saber, you'd better not be moonlighting as another character
Jul 13, 2019 8:25 PM

Oct 2015
Mich666 said:
A lot better than previous filler introductory episode. It didn't really worked as mystery episode (I believe they kinda struggled to capture the atmosphere of Poirot stories) because the viewer wasn't given enough information to guess it on their own (and it was bit rushed) but it was still enjoyable as the events of episode unfolded into rather bittersweet ending.

If this series follows this episode structure (one case a week) I would probably keep watching even further as each episode would be fresh.

Oh, and to see Arturia reborn, what a shock. Kinda interested in how she came to be and what she can do now. How long this is after the 4thHGW again? She is probably about 15, wasn't she already alive during the both wars?

how they hell are you so close to gray's past , yet so far is waht i wanna know, damn 🤣🤣
but without spoilers, i would say your statement about gray arturia is half right

Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Jul 13, 2019 8:29 PM

Oct 2015
also lmao
i expected this amt of secondaries and comments about gray, so i cant really complain, especially since yea, its kinda justified to complain about her so fair enough

but the amt of goddamn intellectual rapist in this thread is fcking amazing
god, the one time im actually thankful deen ruined the umineko anime beyond belief so that the series will never be subjected to the idiots and bsery here

Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Jul 13, 2019 8:54 PM

Jul 2016
OP track made by Kajiura? I totally approve. And the ED song was truly beautiful as well.

Good episode overall. The mystery was indeed rather simple but I enjoyed it nevertheless. Can't wait for the next one!

Gray's badass moment was also rather nice to see and although I already know about her past, I really hope they animate her backstory and her encounter with Waver.
Jul 13, 2019 10:30 PM

Aug 2009
TenRX said:
Kuyashii
Another Saber clone, at least I expected some assassin but not an effing Saber, got me mad as hell because everything until that was awesome
You realize that Saberclones refer only to the face right?And that Saber clones dont have to be Servants right?

Jul 14, 2019 1:05 AM
Oct 2018
xenovibe said:
Holy crap this was boring. Just when you thought Fate couldn't get any worse. They shit out a show that's exclusively about tediously delivered magical exposition starring the whiny brat from Fate/Zero. Then again, knowing the franchise, the fans would still eat this up as if it was some sort of holy grail.

well, fate series had never been for everyone though..
Jul 14, 2019 1:08 AM
Oct 2018
Mei-o_Scarlett said:
also lmao
i expected this amt of secondaries and comments about gray, so i cant really complain, especially since yea, its kinda justified to complain about her so fair enough

but the amt of goddamn intellectual rapist in this thread is fcking amazing
god, the one time im actually thankful deen ruined the umineko anime beyond belief so that the series will never be subjected to the idiots and bsery here

i can feel you man, i can feel you....
Jul 14, 2019 1:10 AM
Oct 2018
OverEarth12 said:
This scene for what? I was sick with this cliche

what cliche again?
Jul 14, 2019 1:22 AM

Aug 2009
Renzoku_Rentou said:
OverEarth12 said:
This scene for what? I was sick with this cliche

what cliche again?

Hand Holding probably.
Jul 14, 2019 1:26 AM
Jun 2017
Nice episode, as this time we have seen Gray and her NOBLE PHANTASM (fate grand order)... hahaha... how i wish Waver also used his skill to buff Gray... hahaha..

Anyways like this episode...
Jul 14, 2019 1:32 AM

Jul 2012
What a climatic OP, you can sense the mistery in it.

Episode was a little confusing for me but still I've enjoyed it.

Also it seems like it will be episodic show.
Digimon is the best Isekai
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2019

86 by Karva1 »»
Feb 24, 2:22 PM

Poll: » Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 27, 2019

60 by Karva1 »»
Feb 24, 1:13 PM

Poll: » Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2019

102 by Karva1 »»
Feb 24, 9:30 AM

Poll: » Lord El-Melloi II Sei no Jikenbo: Rail Zeppelin Grace Note Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2019

100 by Trinity_07 »»
Jan 21, 4:19 PM

» Does anyone know why it’s called Grace Note?

the7threvival - Sep 7, 2023

3 by the7threvival »»
Sep 8, 2023 1:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.