Forum Settings
Forums

are there any animes where you guys prefer dubbed over subbed

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 15, 2019 5:27 AM

Jun 2019
No, I don't think there are any where I prefer dubbed. Even ones where I originally watched the dubbed version (Yu-Gi-Oh!, Dragon Ball Z, Ranma 1/2), I end up liking sub better after I give that a shot.

As others have said, you can typically feel the original intent more through the Japanese voice actors, and it typically feels like they put way more energy into their performance.

Jul 15, 2019 5:37 AM
Jul 2017
Ghost stories
Highschool of the dead

I can't say that these are better but they are at least on par with the sub or at least give a good fight:
FMAB
Highschool DxD
Code Geass
Death Note
Haganai
All childhood kid shows like Pokemon, Beyblade etc.
DBZ

I would love to see a good Gintama dub one day
"You are the result of 4 billion years of evolution. Act like it."
"Why don't you eat make up? Then you can be beautiful on the inside too."
"'Sick'? Call me 'twisted'. 'Sick' makes it sound like there's a cure."
"What's messed up isn't my thinking, what's messed up is this god damn world."
"The world isn't perfect, but its out there doing the best it can for us. That's what makes it so damn beautiful."
Jul 15, 2019 5:44 AM
Sep 2017
Any Dragon Ball Series, Black Lagoon, Steins Gate, and Death Note.
Overall I prefer subbed because it feels more genuine.
Jul 15, 2019 6:17 AM

Feb 2018
Ghost stories,samurai pizza cats,cowboy bebop,trigun,baccano,fairy tail,d gray man,initial d
The answer to 1984 is 1776
Jul 15, 2019 6:25 AM

Jan 2017
Most of the battle shounens. Coz voice of the MC in DUB suits more to me than the SUB version.
Jul 15, 2019 6:31 AM

Jun 2019
silent_knight98 said:
Most of the battle shounens. Coz voice of the MC in DUB suits more to me than the SUB version.

Even though I disagree, I definitely understand this opinion. The thing about shounens is that the protagonist is often a young boy or a teen, and they are given a female voice actress most of the time. It's something that takes getting used to and some people just can't, and that's understandable.

Jul 15, 2019 6:42 AM

Jan 2017
NickRedMachine said:
silent_knight98 said:

Even though I disagree, I definitely understand this opinion. The thing about shounens is that the protagonist is often a young boy or a teen, and they are given a female voice actress most of the time. It's something that takes getting used to and some people just can't, and that's understandable.
Yeah. Its not like i'm saying that DUB version of battle shounens is better than the SUB but characters' voices doesnt suit them most of the time if u ask me. I was never able to get used to Goku's SUB voice. MC's voice is either too childish (DBZ) or too mature (Attack On Titan and BNHA) for me to handle LOL. Only exception i can think of is Bleach where i actually enjoyed the Sub more.

But when it comes to voice acting Subs are way better no doubt.
Jul 15, 2019 6:50 AM

Dec 2015
DragonBall, can't stand Gokus japanes voice-actor. It makes my ears bleed.

Golden Boy and Great Teacher Onizuka got good dub too.
But it's not really that I prefer one over the another.
It's just that the voice-actors did a great job.

Nodame first season is best done with the dub verison.
As you can hear the characters that have a accent alot better.

Jul 15, 2019 8:26 AM

Mar 2019
Code Geass, Spice and Wolf, and Cowboy bebop are the only ones that I think where better, however the're are others that i consider equal, which I can watch ether way like the Raildex series and fate series( but not Kalied Liner, I can only watched that subbed, the voice for Illya isn't bad per say, just way to different then her other English voice.)
Jul 15, 2019 9:26 AM

Jun 2016
Dragon Ball. I don't like Goku's original voice
Jul 15, 2019 9:28 AM

Aug 2018
Not a single!
Professionals prefers original language of a show.

"The most amazing and interesting story in this world ever existed is the story of the world itself where all stories happened"
-Hassaan Lightstone-
Jul 15, 2019 10:14 AM
Jan 2018
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Fate/Zero /UBW
FMAB
Baccano
Code Geass
Hellsing Ultimate

Jul 15, 2019 11:19 AM

May 2016
I prefer the Spanish and Galician dubs of Crayon Shin Chan. The japanese one hurts my ears lol
Jul 15, 2019 12:03 PM

Jul 2016
Ghost Stories
and while I havent watched it in its entirety, based off the highlights id assume the DR3 dub is better than sub.

Id love to see a dub of Banana Fish tho! since its set in America-
Jul 15, 2019 2:13 PM

Dec 2013
Aggretsuko was pretty awesome dubbed. It really added to the show especially the heavy metal parts.
Jul 15, 2019 2:38 PM

Mar 2016
I generally prefer sub over dub in general, because when my eyes aren't pulled to (sometimes lengthy) subtitles I can appreciate the art better, and if I'm not watching it for the first time I'm able to multi-task and still know what's going on by listening and taking glances.

I'll still try subs though for sure, particularly if I watched the dubbed version and enjoyed it enough or if there is no dub at all but I want to watch it. I find it especially worth-while to try the original if the english dub was really toned down, like with Shaman King, and it is indeed nice to hear characters as they were more intended to sound. When I watch a series subbed and nothing else it's almost tough to imagine them having as fitting a voice in any other language.

Anyways, the one dub I'd as of now say for a fact was an overwhelmingly better than the sub is Ghost Stories, as somebody already mentioned. None of the others especially jumped out to me. Well, I liked being able to hear all the accents in Hetalia; I couldn't pick them up nearly as well in the original. So, actually, that too. :>
oyamuJul 15, 2019 2:51 PM

"πš’πš πš—πš˜πš‹πš˜πšπš’ πšŒπšŠπš›πšŽπšœ 𝚝𝚘 πšŠπšŒπšŒπšŽπš™πš 𝚒𝚘𝚞 πšŠπš—πš πš πšŠπš—πšπšœ 𝚒𝚘𝚞 πš’πš— πšπš‘πš’πšœ πš πš˜πš›πš•πš, πšŠπšŒπšŒπšŽπš™πš πš’πš˜πšžπš›πšœπšŽπš•πš πšŠπš—πš 𝚒𝚘𝚞 πš πš’πš•πš• 𝚜𝚎𝚎 πšπš‘πšŠπš 𝚒𝚘𝚞 πšπš˜πš—'𝚝 πš—πšŽπšŽπš πšπš‘πšŽπš– πšŠπš—πš πšπš‘πšŽπš’πš› πšœπšŽπš•πšπš’πšœπš‘ πš’πšπšŽπšŠπš•πšœ"
- πšŠπš•πš’πš‹πšŠπš‹πšŠ πšœπšŠπš•πšžπš“πšŠ
Jul 15, 2019 2:59 PM

Dec 2018
jdc37162 said:
Just_A_ManBOi said:
every single anime, except fan dubs some of those are real bad
You should check out the subs for BNHA or anything else with a lot of emotion. Usually sub is pretty fantastic.
im a slow reader, and im pretty stupid so i usually misread sometimes so i tend to avoid subs
Jul 15, 2019 3:38 PM

Dec 2017
Appreciate all the replies everyone!
Jul 15, 2019 5:07 PM

Jun 2019
The only ones I'll watch in dub are the ones I watched and experienced for the first time in dub, which is generally when I was young and didn't know anime was foreign.

For me it's only:

Pokemon (first season, Indigo League)
Spirited Away from Ghibli

That's about all.

I really cannot stomach localization. I have a seething hatred for it actually. I don't want a bunch of Japanese characters in a Japanese show to talk like American country roughnecks from Arkansas. It makes the entire experience feel weird and jarring as hell.
Jul 15, 2019 5:27 PM

Jan 2017
None for me because I love a lot of Japanese voice actors and would rather listen to them.
Jul 15, 2019 5:36 PM

Oct 2010
I thought the Steins;Gate dub was amazing! I preferred it to the subs. I also felt the same about FMAB and Code Geass.
Jun 14, 2020 9:03 AM

Jan 2020
I know English dubbed has been bashed on CONSTANTLY, but I don't find it too bad, some of it is amazing but in rare cases the dubbed is better than the subbed. What anime do you guys think the dubbed is better? For me, its has to be Soul Eater, THE DUBBED GO HARD
ο»Ώ
✦ MyAnimeList Profile βœ¦ Anime Listο»Ώ βœ¦ Manga Listο»Ώο»Ώ βœ¦ο»Ώ
Jun 14, 2020 9:06 AM
Jul 2018
Personally, I really enjoyed the dubbed version of Mob Psycho 100. Reigen's voice actor is absolutely hilarious.
Jun 14, 2020 9:08 AM
Mar 2020
I ~personally~ like the My Hero Academia dub better than the sub lol. Just compare Bakugo's rescue scene... idk i ~personally~ like the difference.

sub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH0XHC2Ddmw

dub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS-sZY8Dyao

I hope no one comes after me idk how popular this opinion is :/
Jun 14, 2020 9:09 AM

Aug 2009
Basically any show that isn't ecchi or slice of life. But to give a more specific, and easy answer: Black Lagoon. The sub cigarettes are completely out of their fucking minds trying to defend that one.

Jun 14, 2020 9:13 AM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Such a dub does not exist. Sure there are good dubs for shows that make more sense to be dubbed because the setting is outside of Japan, but regardless I feel no dub can come close to the authentic feel of the original.

"πšƒπš’πš–πšŽ 𝚝𝚘 πš–πš’πš‘ πšπš›πš’πš—πš”πšœ πšŠπš—πš πšŒπš‘πšŠπš—πšπšŽ πš•πš’πšŸπšŽπšœ."
β˜† π™°πš—πš’πš–πšŽ π™»πš’πšœπš β˜†
β˜† πš…π™½π™³πš‹ β˜†
β˜† π™±πšŠπšŒπš”πš•πš˜πšπšπšŽπš›πš’ β˜†
Jun 14, 2020 9:15 AM

Mar 2019
Dragonball Z (grew up watching the dub, hearing goku's jap voice now is weird to me )
Pokemon ( cos of the names )

Mar 2019
There are loads actually, as when I start a new show I always try to sample the dub and the sub a few examples would be:
1. Black Lagoon
2. FLCL
3. The disatrous life of Saiki K (not the netflix dub though)
4. Hyouka
5. Yu Yu Hakusho

May 2018
"An Anime Where You Like The Dubbed more than the Subbed"
Never happened to me with anime.

Tho I liked the english dub of Totally Spies better than the original french one.
It's not that I dislike french dubs either, I prefer Wakfu in french (also the official english translation misses 50% of the content for some reason.).
Jun 14, 2020 9:17 AM

Feb 2019
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=234828
"Rating are for Casul"

"While masterpiece are for Pleb"

"But shit taste is enlightenment"

"Go watch School Days you Weebs"
Jun 14, 2020 9:17 AM

Jun 2016
I've only seen a couple of episodes of the dub but I liked the french dub of ie naki ko for its authenticity since it takes place in france, it's based on a 19th century french novel and it involves a fair bit of french geography. All the VAs except the ones who played remi and mrs. milligan were on parl or, in the case of the narrator, better than the original.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jun 14, 2020 9:21 AM

Sep 2019
F/Z, Baccano,Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood,Steins;Gate and DBZ(mostly due to nostalgia.) Honourable mentions: Monster and Yu Yu Hakusho.
CasualKarmaJun 14, 2020 9:26 AM
"No matter how hard we fight it we always return to where we're meant to be."
Jun 14, 2020 9:21 AM

Sep 2009
For Black Lagoon, Ouran High School Host Club, Fruits Basket, Konosuba, and FMA:B, I much prefer the dub.

For MHA and Owari no Seraph the subs and dubs are both good, but I still personally prefer the dub over the sub.

I think in general I tend to prefer dubs for comedy because a.) the subs come off really formal most the time and b.) the use of American slang and changes to some Japanese culturally-specific jokes makes it funnier to me.

I'd say in general I lean slightly more towards subs, but that's because a lot of English dubs really do suck.
Jun 14, 2020 9:22 AM

Apr 2020
I'm brazilian and watched Dragon Ball series at TV when I was a child. The dub is great. When I watched DB Super, it was very strange.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Jun 14, 2020 9:24 AM

Mar 2020
Afro Samurai because it has Samuel L. Jackson in it

Jun 14, 2020 9:26 AM

Aug 2016
I always recommend the Redline movie dubbed, it makes it easier to appreciate the glorious animation
Jun 14, 2020 9:29 AM
Mar 2018
Pretty much every anime tbh, but I think even sub fans can enjoy some anime dubbed like Monster, Steins;Gate, Code Geass etc
Jun 14, 2020 9:30 AM
Mar 2020
ghost stories dub is better than sub. its really funny wit its adult jokes.
Jun 14, 2020 9:30 AM
Jul 2018
Mostly more comedic anime and those where the setting are outside of Japan; I tend to prefer dubs; I’ll probably start an anime in dub and watch the sub later just for comparisons with the exception of anime that I watched as a kid; (it will always be English dub because of nostalgia).
Jun 14, 2020 9:31 AM

Sep 2009
skhylar said:
I ~personally~ like the My Hero Academia dub better than the sub lol. Just compare Bakugo's rescue scene... idk i ~personally~ like the difference.

sub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH0XHC2Ddmw

dub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS-sZY8Dyao

I hope no one comes after me idk how popular this opinion is :/

It seems like a pretty unpopular stance from what I've seen lol, especially since a lot of people are obsessed with Bakugo's Japanese VA. But I definitely agree. I like the dialogue way better in the dub.
Jun 14, 2020 9:33 AM

Jan 2020
My Hero Academia has a brilliant dub. One of the enemy dubs I've ever seen.
VAs are really brilliant

Apart from mha, Deathnote, FMAB, Code Geass, Cowboy Bebop Assassination Classroom also have pretty amazing dubs
Jun 14, 2020 9:33 AM
Sep 2014
Yu yu hakusho is one of the few anime that I only watch dubbed/
Jun 14, 2020 9:35 AM

Oct 2019
If I were to watch it, I would say DBZ. I much prefer Goku's deeper voice compared to that ridiculous child voice.
Currently, I am rewatching shield Hero in dub and so far, it is quite good. But, not enough to be better than the sub.
The only other shows that I know that is better than the sub is Ghost Stories and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, but I have not really started watching ghost stories and I have not seen the latter in ages.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Jun 14, 2020 9:35 AM
Jul 2016
Steins:Gate. I can't stand the subbed voice of Daru.
Death Note.
Naruto and Bleach ain't bad.
Code Geass(i prefer Jonny Young )
Fma:b was pretty good, tho i have not seen the sub.
Highschool of the Dead is pretty well dubbed.
I loved the English Dub of Jojo Part 1.
Monster was very good even dubbed, tho i have not seen subbed, but .......its Monster, how can it possibly be bad?
SinOfSlothKingJun 14, 2020 9:40 AM
Jun 14, 2020 9:36 AM

Apr 2011
I don't watch dubs, not because of quality issues but rather because I believe that everything should be experienced in (or as close to) it's original form. To be, that is subbed (as I am not yet fully fluent in Japanese).

That being said, I have watched the Gakkou no Kaidan (Ghost Stories) dub and it is fucking brilliant. The absolute beauty of that dub is something any anime lover should experience at least once.
Jun 14, 2020 9:38 AM
Oct 2015
I see many so-called 'elitists' right above. They can whine all you want. I'm not gonna fuel in any pointless argument with 'em. But don't blind yourself so hard. I can list a number of anime where English dub is superior in every way. I watch anime both subbed and dubed. It's based on preferences regarding story, world, characters and because of some unique voice actors.

Anime I prefer dubed include Cowboy Bebop, Baccano, Beck, Space Dandy, Outlaw Star, Gurren Lagann, FMA:B, Death Note, Saiki Kuso (S1), Ass Class, Golden Boy, Ergo Proxy, Redline, Promare, FLCL, Black Lagoon etc.
Jun 14, 2020 9:39 AM
η©‚δΉƒζžœγ―η₯ž

Oct 2015
Fairy Tail, I think. I really enjoy the English audio. A good amount of ecchi anime I enjoy the dub for, as well.

I'll also argue against sub "elitists" here; LOL broski, you aren't getting the REAL experience, learn basic Japanese and watch your anime RAW then come back to me. *dab* (sorry for my awful sense of humor; Jokes aside you aren't having the real "original experience" if this is what you argue, as the dialogue translated to a dub can't really reach any further than a sub does. Anime was not intended to be watched subbed, rather for Japanese audiences who have a good understanding of how the language works, and you can almost never directly translate an entire sentence from Japanese to English 1:1. Plus, how words and voices are expressed in Japanese, including acting in general is very different from language-to-language.)
ChartTopper60Jun 14, 2020 9:43 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 14, 2020 9:52 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Posts 125-151 have been merged into this thread.

Section III: Forum Guidelines
Rule 7: Before making a new thread:
Use the search function to ensure your topic has not been created before.
Jun 14, 2020 11:49 AM

Aug 2017
Oh sure there some. Baccano, FMA(B), Black Lagoon
Jun 14, 2020 12:05 PM

Jul 2019
This is gonna be a huge list

Death Note
Ghost Stories
Assassination Classroom
Evangelion
Toradora
Redline
High School DxD. I find the script funnier. Also a lot of different words for boobs
Certain Scientific Railgun
Prison School
Cromartie High School
Grappler Baki
Berserk
Kuroshitsuji
Trinity Seven
Nanbaka
Yuri on Ice
Aggretsuko
High School of the Dead
Tokyo Ghoul
Noragami
Hajimete no Gal
Maken-Ki
Baccano
Medaka Box

There. There are a lot. I usually like Ecchi anime dubbed even tho many won't. I think the scripts can be more free and they usually are better. DxDs dub can just throw out synonyms for breasts.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 7 hours ago

32 by Dauphine »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - 9 hours ago

20 by Dauphine »»
3 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 6 hours ago

28 by Dauphine »»
7 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts. ( 1 2 )

Pinoffin - Yesterday

63 by GreatestSaltboy »»
8 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

115 by Voila_ »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.