Forum Settings
Forums

Would you prefer a boring masterpiece or an entertaining shitshow?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 11, 2019 2:13 AM
Aug 2017
Both because if I watch too much masterpieces, It will makes me think the non-masterpieces are shit, and watching too much shitshow it will get boring over the time.
Jul 11, 2019 2:13 AM

May 2010
Unowen said:
hazecloud said:
Like studio ghibli movies could be wonderful but if you didn't watch it as a kid, you would probably think of it as childish or simply can't get into it.
I'm not too certain of that. As a kid (say when I was around 7) I'd rather have watched action-packed stuff like Yu Yu Hakusho I did back then (even if you're likely to consume whatever is airing at the moment) than something like a Ghibli movie that I easily enjoy and appreciate way more now as an adult.

Didn't watch my first Ghibli movie until like 2015 (Nausicaa) and went in chronological order. Loved the majority of them. About 5 or 6 of them are in my top 10 anime movies of all time

(Grave of the Fireflies, Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howls, Totoro, and Marnie).

Also agreed, when i was a kid my #1 was inuyasha, cause that was about the extent of my mental cognition

"LETS WATCH THIS HALF DEMON KILL FULL DEMONS SO HE CAN COLLECT THE SACRED JEWEL SHARD"

very simplistic shounen. fun stuff tho.

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 11, 2019 2:14 AM
Aug 2017
Both because if I watch too much masterpieces, It will makes me think the non-masterpieces are shit, and watching too much shitshow it will get boring over the time.
Jul 11, 2019 2:14 AM
Jul 2018
Johan said:
Peaceful_Critic said:
Glad you think that, now, if you would please do your part and stop quoting me that'll be great. Ty

Unfortunately I'm not too worried about what you would consider to be "Great" or not.

I'll tag whoever i feel like responding/replying to, whenever i want.

Your "wishes" or what you think is "Great" is literally the least of my concerns.

I promise. lol.
I get that, but if you aren't interested in discussing stuff with me, then why quote me and try to start a conversation? Wouldn't it be great for both of us, if you stopped replying? Y'know, if you want, you can get the last word in, and I'll stop replying 1st.
Jul 11, 2019 2:17 AM

Oct 2010
@Johan what can they do? Call me names and insult my intelligence? I'll never abide to them, it's my problem what I find boring and not boring.
Jul 11, 2019 2:18 AM

May 2010
Peaceful_Critic said:
Johan said:

Unfortunately I'm not too worried about what you would consider to be "Great" or not.

I'll tag whoever i feel like responding/replying to, whenever i want.

Your "wishes" or what you think is "Great" is literally the least of my concerns.

I promise. lol.
I get that, but if you aren't interested in discussing stuff with me, then why quote me and try to start a conversation? Wouldn't it be great for both of us, if you stopped replying? Y'know, if you want, you can get the last word in, and I'll stop replying 1st.

Okay but i literally agreed with you on this topic which is why i quoted you in the first place, and you decided to engage a separate argument i was having with someone else.

Then when it doesnt go well for you, or you get frustrated or w/e you get mad and want me to stop replying.

Look, i told you already I have nothing against you, and im willing to talk with you peacefully. Can you unblock me, so we can speak in private then?

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 11, 2019 2:19 AM
Nov 2015
There are no boring masterpiece or entertaining shitshow, it doesn't sound logical anyway
Jul 11, 2019 2:23 AM
Jul 2018
I'd rather watch an entertaining masterpiece and a boring shitshow
Jul 11, 2019 2:26 AM
Jul 2018
Johan said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

Okay but i literally agreed with you on this topic which is why i quoted you in the first place, and you decided to engage a separate argument i was having with someone else.

Then when it doesnt go well for you, or you get frustrated or w/e you get mad and want me to stop replying.

Look, i told you already I have nothing against you, and im willing to talk with you peacefully. Can you unblock me, so we can speak in private then?
You used me as a flexing tool(something along the lines of: "See, even this person who I owned in an argument agreed with me") Regardless, That's not the quote I'm talking about( it's #25).

Paint whatever narrative you want.

No.
removed-userJul 11, 2019 2:29 AM
Jul 11, 2019 2:29 AM

Jan 2018
Man these arguments are fucking hilarious. *grabs popcorn*

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jul 11, 2019 2:29 AM

May 2010
Peaceful_Critic said:
Johan said:

You used me as a flexing tool(something along the lines of: "See, even this person who I owned in an argument agreed with me") Regardless, That's not the quote I'm talking about(#25).

Paint whatever narrative you want.

No.

Okay you can say no, but then don't say im not the one willing to peacefully engage with you.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 11, 2019 2:30 AM

May 2010
Greyleaf said:
Man these arguments are fucking hilarious. *grabs popcorn*

LOL COMEON, GO WATCH YOUR MOVIE YOU FOOL.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 11, 2019 2:32 AM

Jun 2015
Johan said:
Unowen said:
I'm not too certain of that. As a kid (say when I was around 7) I'd rather have watched action-packed stuff like Yu Yu Hakusho I did back then (even if you're likely to consume whatever is airing at the moment) than something like a Ghibli movie that I easily enjoy and appreciate way more now as an adult.

Didn't watch my first Ghibli movie until like 2015 (Nausicaa) and went in chronological order. Loved the majority of them. About 5 or 6 of them are in my top 10 anime movies of all time

Also agreed, when i was a kid my #1 was inuyasha, cause that was about the extent of my mental cognition

"LETS WATCH THIS HALF DEMON KILL FULL DEMONS SO HE CAN COLLECT THE SACRED JEWEL SHARD"

This might sound funny but I don't think it's a matter of mental cognition after a certain age (it's variable depending on the kid, but I think they are smart enough to understand most from a movie/series quite early).

In my case at least I would say is 100% preference-oriented. If nowadays I prefer watching something that feels wholesome (or some bittersweet drama) odds are I'd have found it fucking boring 10-15 years ago, even if I'd understand all the actual events happening in them. And similarly today I have less patience for repetition and well, some silliness I'd probably not minded back then.
Jul 11, 2019 2:32 AM

Sep 2018
Boring Masterpiece is a contradiction in itself, the closest a show ever came to that is Texhnolyze but it got far more entertaining when you actually started analysing the shit out of it.

A entertaining shit show never gets above a 6 because its nothing of value, its just fun when you watch it and then you forget it after a day or two.

Every Season basicially everything is a enjoyable or boring shit show, i wouldn't say no to a breath of fresh air.
-Mullerio-Jul 11, 2019 2:45 AM
Jul 11, 2019 2:36 AM

May 2010
Unowen said:
Johan said:

This might sound funny but I don't think it's a matter of mental cognition after a certain age (it's variable depending on the kid, but I think they are smart enough to understand most from a movie/series quite early).

In my case at least I would say is 100% preference-oriented. If nowadays I prefer watching something that feels wholesome (or some bittersweet drama) odds are I'd have found it fucking boring 10-15 years ago, even if I'd understand all the actual events happening in them. And similarly today I have less patience for repetition and well, some silliness I'd probably not minded back then.

I gotta disagree, I don't believe your average 7, 9, 11, 13, even 15 year old can really watch those deep, deep shows like Mawaru Penguindrum or whatever and truly grasp all the concepts and themes of what the shows were trying to portray.

Now of course, no ghibli movies are quite on that level, but i do believe cognition is correlated to your ability to fully ascertain more complex anime.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 11, 2019 2:47 AM

Jun 2015
Johan said:
Unowen said:

I gotta disagree, I don't believe your average 7, 9, 11, 13, even 15 year old can really watch those deep, deep shows like Mawaru Penguindrum or whatever and truly grasp all the concepts and themes of what the shows were trying to portray.

Now of course, no ghibli movies are quite on that level, but i do believe cognition is correlated to your ability to fully ascertain more complex anime.
When I was around 8 I remember watching and enjoying Utena (which is from the same creator of Penguindrum) and I probably enjoyed it more than when I rewatched it 3 years ago. Yes it was less confusing and it made much more sense this second time around, but you're still getting something different from the experience. Getting all that surreal imagery when you're not used to it and in a more impressionable age is also a thing in its own you can't replicate. Utena was kind of targeted towards girls in their early teens anyway.

Hell even now when watching certain shows like that I don't bother with the meaning so much as I do with the watching experience. I didn't like Lain because it was cryptic or ''needs to be rewatched several times to be understood'' (I only watched it once after all) but because I enjoyed the style and got interested from the get-go with its really good opening theme. To this day I'm not too sure what I watched, but I don't care too much either.
Jul 11, 2019 2:56 AM
Apr 2017
In the sense of whether I preferred a show other people considered a masterpiece but I found boring, as compared to a show I thought was shite but still remained entertaining?

Well, I enjoyed atrocious crap like Satsuriku no tenshi, Psycho-pass 2 and Koi to uso much more than supposed masterpieces like death note and angel beats, which bored the living hell out of me, so the answer is obvious.

In the sense of shows I consider masterpieces well, stupid question because I obviously can't find them boring if I rate them that highly.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Jul 11, 2019 12:50 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
I’d rather watch something I find entertaining than something I find boring.
Jul 11, 2019 1:12 PM
May 2019
I prefer anime that are entertaining to watch.
Jul 11, 2019 1:53 PM
Jul 2018
boring masterpiece so i can rate it 5 and show everyone how insanely epic i am for being so different and having a Special contradictory rating to the Average Person

no but seriously the fact that people really be making threads like this says a lot about our society
Jul 11, 2019 1:56 PM

Jun 2019
Waifwu said:
An entertaining masterpiece is ideal ik but if i have to choose between these two i'd always choose the latter.

I'd be interested to know what shows you consider to be a "boring masterpiece"?
Jul 11, 2019 2:02 PM
Jul 2018
The answer is neither! Possibly more so in the entertaining shitshow category.
Jul 11, 2019 2:20 PM

Dec 2018
I d say there is no such thing as a boring masterpiece. But if there were, I'd choose that for clout.
Jul 11, 2019 2:24 PM

Oct 2017
There is not such thing as boring masterpiece or an entertaining shitshow.

That is bullshit peddled by self-important, snobbish anime "fans" who think certain tropes or genres cannot be good. They have a narrow-minded indea of what counts as "high art". Certain shows I won't name, because they present themselves in a certain way and have high production value, become known as "high quality". But if they don't entertain people they are worthless outside of being a wanking sock for the ego.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jul 11, 2019 2:24 PM
Jan 2015
It isn't a masterpiece if its boring and something can't be shit if its entertaining.
My Queens

Jul 11, 2019 2:28 PM

Dec 2018
Johan said:
Unowen said:

Using the words 'deep' and 'complex' is something I find dumb because there is no true quantification for it. Why can a person not understand Penguindrum just because it has a lot of themes and ideas packed into it? Hunter x Hunter has loads of complicated themes and concepts in it but it's easily accessible and not to difficult to diagnose even for a kid. What you are labelling as 'deep' is literally just a difference in how said themes are presented
Jul 11, 2019 2:29 PM

Aug 2009
I'm down for some entertaining trash. It just might take me a while to get to it, that's all.

Jul 11, 2019 2:51 PM
Mar 2016
entertaining shitshow, basically my favorite anime One Piece
Jul 11, 2019 2:55 PM
Apr 2018
i'm sorry i just dont get how a masterpiece could be boring in any sort of way......but kill time shit show that entertains me and makes me laugh like crazy i can get.......any way i'm not good with options so i'll take both
Jul 11, 2019 3:54 PM

May 2018
Oh nooo, the elitist scare again.

How about disagreeing something being masterpiece? Having your own opinion?

And how about the opposite situation - everybody says that some title is shitty but entertaining...but you only see it as very stupid.
What do you do?
You pretend to like it because you are afraid that everybody will think you are dumb and misunderstood it?
Or because you fear retribution by its fans?
Or because you want to be part of the hype train?
Jul 11, 2019 4:04 PM

Mar 2015
An entertaining shitshow.

Boring things are boring.
woah there
Jul 11, 2019 4:17 PM
Sep 2018
if something is considered a masterpiece then it can't be boring, if it's boring then I don't see why it should be considered good in the first place

boring shows are all bad, period, anime is made to entertain people
Jul 11, 2019 4:56 PM

Dec 2017
Boring masterpiece doesn't make sense but if it did exist I'd say entertaining shitshow

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Jul 11, 2019 7:36 PM

Feb 2015
Jul 11, 2019 9:20 PM

Aug 2018
Boring Masterpiece. Because I hate to waste my time on useless things.

"The most amazing and interesting story in this world ever existed is the story of the world itself where all stories happened"
-Hassaan Lightstone-
Jul 11, 2019 9:44 PM

Feb 2017
an entertaining shitshow for sure. call me crazy but i think the most important thing entertainment should be is entertaining.
Jul 11, 2019 9:50 PM

Jan 2019
I would ask for further clarification on what you mean by boring before answering. Like just having a slower pace than you would feel comfortable with doesn't necessarily make something boring, especially if they are using that slow pace to build tension, the world, or the characters. But then again, I watched a lot of regular cinema people would consider boring before getting into anime and, most times at least, I usually always got something out of it.
Jul 12, 2019 12:48 AM

Dec 2018
"Boring masterpiece"? What does that even mean?

I'll assume that you were trying to say a widely acclaimed show/movie by critics and viewers, but it's boring in your opinion. Well, if it's boring then of course it's not gonna work out. Choose the latter one then.

And if you were trying to say a dubbed masterpiece but it's slow, thoughtful and can hardly be entertaining (but not boring), like Kubrick's or Fellini's, then well it's a completely different story. In this case, to me, it depends on what my current mood and what I want. If I want to mire in thoughts and themes, and to experience the art of cinema that people constantly praising, then I'd say I'll go for the dubbed masterpiece. But if I'm bored and just wanted a thoroughly fun and brainless experience, I'll go for the second one.

Anyway, I don't think your question was very clear, but if it's boring as stated then I'll pass.
. . .
Jul 12, 2019 12:53 AM

May 2018
First of all, a masterpiece can't be boring. It's either too complicated for somebody's silly brain or it's really boring and thus is not a masterpiece at all.
"Entertaining shitshows" are so-so. You can enjoy them at some point but shit remains shit anyway
Nemo_NiemandJul 12, 2019 12:56 AM

Jul 12, 2019 1:52 AM

May 2018
it depends on my mood i can handle both :D

Jul 12, 2019 1:54 AM

Jul 2009
I'll take Black Clover over Ghost in The Shell manga if that's what you're asking.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 2019 3:23 AM

Oct 2009
an entertaining shitshow.i need to rest my mind. there's enough crap going on outside society
Jul 12, 2019 3:24 AM

Nov 2016
Waifwu said:
An entertaining masterpiece is ideal ik but if i have to choose between these two i'd always choose the latter.

I think the word classic would've been a much better choice than masterpiece

Calling something a masterpiece is a personal choice you make and no one will call something that bores them to death that
JoyBoy_316Jul 12, 2019 3:32 AM
Jul 12, 2019 4:50 AM

Dec 2015
I like to think there is no such thing as a boring masterpiece. If the show is boring, there is a reason for it and therefore it can't be a masterpiece. But if you're saying something is a masterpiece only because most of people are saying it's a masterpiece, then I'd definitely choose a entertaining shitshow, since I've been disappointed with a lot of high praised shows lately
Jul 12, 2019 5:33 AM
Jun 2019
9/10 times I'll pick the shit show. Because there's just something extra special about a thing being so bad it's good. 1/10 times you can keep me if the animation is just phenomenal. I may not understand what the heck is going on, but I'm prone to staring at pretty pictures for a whole season anyway.
Jul 12, 2019 5:33 AM
Aug 2018
I'd go the entertaining shitshow rather than something that felt boring to me.

To give a heads up I dropped highly acclaimed "masterpiece" like NGE and Code Geass but I rate something like Noragami and Food Wars quite high up in my list because they felt quite entertaining to me.
Jul 12, 2019 5:43 AM
Apr 2016
I would never consider an anime or any other media a masterpiece if it is boring, it has to be entertaining to be considered a masterpiece, i recently thought about this when i recently saw the movie Roma from Alfonso Cuaron, it is considered by many people and critics one of the best movies in recent years but i found it very boring, it is a visual masterpiece i give them that but i found the story and characters to be really bland, to the point where i almost dropped it, so at least for me there can´t be a boring masterpiece, i need to have some fun watching the anime or movie for me to consider it a masterpiece.
Jul 12, 2019 5:46 AM

Oct 2015
I don't consider a boring show a masterpiece to begin with. At best I'll acknowledge the care and thought put into a show but if it didn't hit the marks for me it's still meh.
Jul 12, 2019 5:48 AM

Jul 2017
no, a masterpiece is still better. Idc about your fanservice if you don't provide a story
Jul 12, 2019 6:26 AM

Feb 2012
Masterpiece is not really a quality word, at least not one that is supposed to sit at the top of positive word hierarchy despite what MAL ratings say (which probably was something randomly copy/pasted from elsewhere ages ago). It has more to do what is the most well known and influential work of an artist or some kind of group. Or in other words - popularity, especially long lasting one. Yes, they can be boring and even horrible as age was not necessarily as kind to their way to entertain/engage as it was to their legacy.

Frankly speaking I would welcome removing the word from the ratings altogether.

As for the question, I rather not be bored out of my mind if possible.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which of the big 3 do you think has the best music?

Akuya - 1 hour ago

6 by Adnash »»
1 minute ago

» help

arhttr - 5 hours ago

25 by arhttr »»
2 minutes ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect.

Gashadokur0 - 3 hours ago

28 by BlueBullet178 »»
5 minutes ago

» Thoughts on NA?

lezbifriends - May 19

27 by FrusDiplo »»
8 minutes ago

» How much time do you spend discussing anime?

RobertBobert - May 6

31 by FanofAction »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.