Forum Settings
Forums

Would you prefer a boring masterpiece or an entertaining shitshow?

New
Jul 10, 2019 11:11 PM

May 2018
An entertaining masterpiece is ideal ik but if i have to choose between these two i'd always choose the latter.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 10, 2019 11:14 PM

Jun 2017
Of course an entertaining shit show. That's why idc about elitists and their masterpieces much
Jul 10, 2019 11:19 PM
Feb 2019
It really depends sometimes. Sometimes I want to watch shows that take themselves seriously, question matters that can't be answered definitely, show something amazing, etc. But there are times when I just want the show itself to progress and entertain me in someway. That's why I also like the ecchi seasonals, like Ueno-san and Tejina-sempai.
Jul 10, 2019 11:31 PM
Jul 2017
I would say boring masterpiece. I feel like the payoff would be worth it if it’s considered a masterpiece. Texhnolyze has slow pace at times and is considered to be boring to a lot of people but it is one of my all time favorite animes. The final episode is like my number one finale I’ve seen in any anime.
Jul 10, 2019 11:36 PM

Oct 2014
A boring masterpiece is an oxymoron. But i would go with that if i had to pick.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jul 10, 2019 11:37 PM

Oct 2013
Weird question, why would someone want to watch something that bored the shit out of me? I almost completely dropped Mushishi and Hyouka because of that. I didn't think they were bad by any means, but man did they almost put me to sleep quite a few times to the point where I'm surprised I completed them.
Jul 10, 2019 11:42 PM

Mar 2012
It doesn't matter if it is good or not if the show didn't even let me to watch it.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 10, 2019 11:44 PM
Jul 2018
A boring masterpiece doesn't exist in my world. In order to be a masterpiece, it'll have to be at least good enough to entertain. An entertaining bad show also doesn't seem to exist from what've seen. Entertainment is tied to quality.
Jul 10, 2019 11:45 PM
Jan 2018
Lunilah said:

I'm guessing it's supposed to be a show that is considered a masterpiece but you find boring
Jul 10, 2019 11:47 PM

Jan 2018
Waifwu said:
An entertaining masterpiece is ideal ik but if i have to choose between these two i'd always choose the latter.

What kinda masterpiece is boring anyway? If its boring, it aint a masterpiece...

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jul 10, 2019 11:52 PM

Apr 2013
I agree with people saying that if a show is boring, it's no masterpiece.

But to still answer the question, I'd always go for the entertaining show.
Jul 10, 2019 11:59 PM

May 2010
This is oxymoron.

How can a show be boring if it's a masterpiece?

Lunilah said:

Wow made my reply before reading the others. LOL

But ye 100%

Peaceful_Critic said:
A boring masterpiece doesn't exist in my world. In order to be a masterpiece, it'll have to be at least good enough to entertain. An entertaining bad show also doesn't seem to exist from what've seen. Entertainment is tied to quality.

Even this person who i've disagree with - and owned vehemently in the past, is correct.

Entertainment and quality are directly correlated.

What's fun is usually good - and what's good is usually fun.

Very simple.

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 11, 2019 12:38 AM

May 2009
If a show is boring, I wouldn't consider it a "masterpiece". I guess it could be something that other people tell me is a masterpiece...

Similarly, if something's entertaining me, I probably won't regard it as a "shitshow" either. To be fair, I'm usually not that much into riffing on stuff, but rather I try to take a story seriously, though if it's sufficiently sassy, or in some cases sufficiently bizarre (consider YouTube Poop for example), I can quite enjoy that too, and I don't think of it as a "shitshow", even if I'm aware that the humor of something like a YTP can be described as "cheap".
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 11, 2019 12:39 AM

Jan 2016
If it's boring for me, it ain't a masterpiece but I'll watch trash that will keep me reasonably entertained more than a snoozefest.

There's a reason I dropped Cowboy Bebop and rate Eromanga Sensei quite high.
Jul 11, 2019 12:44 AM

May 2010
CapitalistGod said:
If it's boring for me, it ain't a masterpiece but I'll watch trash that will keep me reasonably entertained more than a snoozefest.

Probably because you don't understand quality.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 11, 2019 12:46 AM

Oct 2012
So what you're asking is would I rather watch a show that other people consider a masterpiece but I consider a shitshow, or a show that other people consider a shitshow but I consider a masterpiece?

Well, I guess if I hated myself, I might be inclined to believe a random guy on the internet over myself.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 11, 2019 12:47 AM

Sep 2014
I decide what I consider is a masterpiece or not, based on the experience I get from the show itself. If it's boring to me, it ain't a masterpiece.
Jul 11, 2019 12:49 AM

Apr 2017
If it's a masterpiece it isn't boring...

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Jul 11, 2019 12:51 AM

Jan 2016
Johan said:
CapitalistGod said:

First 8 episodes were meaningless episodic stuff that fails to entertain. Well, I can't argue if you find it great but I'm the only judge of quality for myself soooo.... yeah, let's see if I can find two fucks about your idea of quality.
Jul 11, 2019 1:02 AM

Sep 2018
The latter, I really enjoyed killing bites even though it may be considered trash by some. It was very entertaining and knew what type of anime it was.
Jul 11, 2019 1:04 AM

May 2010
CapitalistGod said:
Johan said:

First 8 episodes were meaningless episodic stuff that fails to entertain. Well, I can't argue if you find it great but I'm the only judge of quality for myself soooo.... yeah, let's see if I can find two fucks about your idea of quality.

Uh huh. I'm glad you don't give two fucks about my idea of quality, cause i wasn't speaking of my idea of quality.

I can guarantee you on, God, 100% of anime fans would confess that Cowboy Bebop is better than Ero manga sensei

If you want to keep denying reality, then go for it.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 11, 2019 1:09 AM
Oct 2017
Thing is I would never call a boring show a masterpiece in the first place.
Jul 11, 2019 1:10 AM

Jan 2016
Johan said:
CapitalistGod said:

Uh huh. I'm glad you don't give two fucks about my idea of quality, cause i wasn't speaking of my idea of quality.

I can guarantee you on, God, 100% of anime fans would confess that Cowboy Bebop is better than Ero manga sensei

If you want to keep denying reality, then go for it.

What reality? Quality is subjective. The fact that mine differ from "everyone" is a testament to that. So am I supposed to just agree with these people? Don't think so.
Jul 11, 2019 1:12 AM
Jul 2018
CapitalistGod said:
Johan said:

Can't help, but to notice you are about to argue with Johan. My recommendation is to block him. Here's the debate he "owned" me at btw:
To give you an idea who you are dealing with
Jul 11, 2019 1:15 AM

May 2010
Peaceful_Critic said:
CapitalistGod said:

Can't help, but to notice you are about to argue with Johan. My recommendation is to block him. Here's the debate he "owned" me at btw:

Thank you for posting that. Im very proud re-reading those threads. Saved me the effort of finding them myself LOL

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 11, 2019 1:19 AM
Jul 2018
Johan said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

Thank you for posting that. Im very proud re-reading those threads. Saved me the effort of finding them myself LOL
You're welcome, stop quoting me. If I haven't made it crystal clear already, I'm going to do so now:
I don't want to talk to you.
Jul 11, 2019 1:19 AM
Jul 2018
a boring masterpiece, i rarely enjoy watching anything anyway, and when i finish that kind of anime, at least i feel satisfied bc of the visuals and the dialogues and rate it 9/10
as for the entertaining shitshows, they're on thin ice.
idc about entertainment if it's an eyesore
Jul 11, 2019 1:22 AM

Jun 2011
How can something boring be a masterpiece? XD
Jul 11, 2019 1:25 AM
Oct 2018
Lunilah said:

I personally don't think it's an oxymoron, but it's highly subjective - especially the "boring" aspect.
Jul 11, 2019 1:27 AM

May 2010
Peaceful_Critic said:
Johan said:

You're welcome, stop quoting me. If I haven't made it crystal clear already, I'm going to do so now:

I would really like to know what i did to make you so angry LOL;

Really holding a big grudge here, its all bantz to me.

Weren't you supposed to be peaceful or tranquil or whatever? ;]

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 11, 2019 1:28 AM

Dec 2011
Peaceful_Critic said:
CapitalistGod said:

I wonder if he still believes that he isn't an elitist, when "because you don't understand quality" is literally the most elitist "point" (in the quotation marks are necessary as it isn't actually saying anything of value except about the attitude of the person saying it) you could possibly make in any argument.

--

Anyway, regarding the thread, I wouldn't consider something a masterpiece if it bores me, so the first option does not exist. Therefore the second option wins by default.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jul 11, 2019 1:33 AM
Jul 2018
Johan said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

I mean you clearly haven't changed, so why do you think my opinion of you would?
Besides that, I told you pretty straightforwardly here:

"So you used a personal term you and a good friend use on me? When you view me as hostile and unfriendly, you know what, I'm going fall to the devils that are assumptions, and call BS. Even if it was positive in the context you used on your friend, I'm pretty sure, at the very least you don't place on that level importance, and you obviously don't like me(seeing how you stated you didn't even know me).

Actually, I notice for a while, that you never really thought of me as anyone worth an effort of trying to explain something(dismissing me right off the bat because you simply had more experience arguing the topic: "...then there's nothing further to discuss with you"). I got too caught up, I'm just going to block you and delete your comments(I was an idiot for trying arguing with someone who refused to have his mind change from the start). Well, see ya, you clearly had fun "owning me" feed that to your ego.

BTW: I'm going to take your suggestion and change my name to Tranquil Critic(Maybe it'll stop such stupid burns such as "You hate everything, does that mean you hate yourself" or "You aren't peaceful, peacefulcritic :)"). Delete this comment at your leisure."-which you didn't delete(https://myanimelist.net/comments.php?id=324366&show=380)

As for the name, I decided against the change since I'm pretty attached to my current username.
kuuderes_shadow said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

I wonder if he still believes that he isn't an elitist, when "because you don't understand quality" is literally the most elitist "point" (in the quotation marks are necessary as it isn't actually saying anything of value except about the attitude of the person saying it) you could possibly make in any argument.

--

Anyway, regarding the thread, I wouldn't consider something a masterpiece if it bores me, so the first option does not exist. Therefore the second option wins by default.
He held that belief for a long time. Even before I argued with him on the topic, and he stated above he was proud of those threads, so I'm assuming he does.
removed-userJul 11, 2019 1:46 AM
Jul 11, 2019 1:45 AM

Jan 2018
I think a boring masterpiece is like how a show appeals to more mature audience but it could be boring to teens, you know the age gap. Like studio ghibli movies could be wonderful but if you didn't watch it as a kid, you would probably think of it as childish or simply can't get into it. Regardless of that, I still consider my own enjoyment value to say this or that is a masterpiece.

I'd pick the first but only because a shitshow isn't going to magically turn into a masterpiece.
Jul 11, 2019 1:48 AM
Aug 2017
An entertaining shitshow. Why would I bore myself to death for something others consider a masterpiece?
Jul 11, 2019 1:51 AM

May 2010
Peaceful_Critic said:
Johan said:

I mean you clearly haven't changed, so why do you think my opinion of you would?
Besides that, I told you pretty straightforwardly here:

"So you used a personal term you and a good friend use on me? When you view me as hostile and unfriendly, you know what, I'm going fall to the devils that are assumptions, and call BS. Even if it was positive in the context you used on your friend, I'm pretty sure, at the very least you don't place on that level importance, and you obviously don't like me(seeing how you stated you didn't even know me).

Actually, I notice for a while, that you never really thought of me as anyone worth an effort of trying to explain something(dismissing me right off the bat because you simply had more experience arguing the topic: "...then there's nothing further to discuss with you"). I got too caught up, I'm just going to block you and delete your comments(I was an idiot for trying arguing with someone who refused to have his mind change from the start). Well, see ya, you clearly had fun "owning me" feed that to your ego.

BTW: I'm going to take your suggestion and change my name to Tranquil Critic(Maybe it'll stop such stupid burns such as "You hate everything, does that mean you hate yourself" or "You aren't peaceful, peacefulcritic :)"). Delete this comment at your leisure."-which you didn't delete(https://myanimelist.net/comments.php?id=324366&show=380)

As for the name, I decided against the change since I'm pretty attached to my current username.
kuuderes_shadow said:

--

He held that belief for a long time. Even before I argued with him on the topic, and he stated above he was proud of those threads, so I'm assuming he does.

Maybe you should stop being so angry all the time. You came on to my turf and choose to start an argument, when i literally created these topics. That's why i'm universally recognised on here.

It's really weird. You come in to AD to try to call out one of the most prominent people, and then you think "oh they'll just be okay with it and change their mind"

If you brought value to the discussion, i would have valued you as someone to discuss with.

I'm not interested in discussing with teenagers who don't know what they're talking about and recite talking points they've heard in an "Animeeveryday" video on youtube.

Unlike you, I'm still open to peaceful dialect- but look at your own demeanour.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 11, 2019 1:54 AM

Jan 2016
@Peaceful_Critic Thanks though they're not even worth blocking tbh. Just took a little bit of issue at the assumption that someone can't understand quality knowing that quality is a subjective value. I'm planning to stop responding once I made this point explicit anyways.
Jul 11, 2019 1:55 AM

Jun 2016
There are not such things as boring masterpiece and entertaining shitshow. If it's boring, it's a shitshow. If it's really entertaining, it's a masterpiece.
Jul 11, 2019 1:56 AM

May 2010
CapitalistGod said:
@Peaceful_Critic Thanks though they're not even worth blocking tbh. Just took a little bit of issue at the assumption that someone can't understand quality knowing that quality is a subjective value. I'm planning to stop responding once I made this point anyways.

Yes Mars of Destruction is better than Neon Genesis Evangelion,

That's just my "opinion" bro

Please take me seriously when it comes to anime!

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 11, 2019 1:57 AM
Jul 2018
Johan said:
I'm not interested in discussing with teenagers who don't know what they're talking about and recite talking points they've heard in an "Animeeveryday" video on youtube.
Glad you think that, now, if you would please do your part and stop quoting me that'll be great. Ty
Jul 11, 2019 1:59 AM

May 2010
Peaceful_Critic said:
Johan said:
Glad you think that, now, if you would please do your part and stop quoting me that'll be great. Ty

Unfortunately I'm not too worried about what you would consider to be "Great" or not.

I'll tag whoever i feel like responding/replying to, whenever i want.

Your "wishes" or what you think is "Great" is literally the least of my concerns.

I promise. lol.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 11, 2019 2:00 AM

Mar 2015
A real masterpiece wouldn't be boring in the first place though.
Jul 11, 2019 2:00 AM

May 2018
Entertaining show is a instant masterpiece for me so sorry there's no such thing as entertaining shit show.
Jul 11, 2019 2:02 AM

Dec 2011
Johan said:

Unfortunately I'm not too worried about what you would consider to be "Great" or not.

Your "wishes" or what you think is "Great" is literally the least of my concerns.

I promise. lol.

Says the person who started this whole thing by attacking someone for daring to have a different opinion to their own.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jul 11, 2019 2:04 AM

Jan 2016
@Johan all judgment about quality is subjective thus it's all just opinions. Boy, what a shock!

What are you even getting at? Is there even a counter point you're making here or what. If there isn't then we're done here. Good day to you.
Jul 11, 2019 2:04 AM

May 2010
kuuderes_shadow said:
Johan said:

I promise. lol.

Says the person who started this whole thing by attacking someone for daring to have a different opinion to their own.

Yeah I don't even know who you are pal.

Actually i was agreeing with her in this thread, to which she wanted to post the previous thread i owned her in. Which was very thoughtful of her.

I'd ask who you are, but considering you're completely irrelevant, I'm really not interested.

People like you contribute literally nothing to anything and just involve yourself in other people's business/drama that doesn't involve you in the slighest; and then bitch about the drama/arguing.

What a hypocritical stooge.

I'm gonna forget your account name by tomorrow you unmemorable stooge. Now stop trying to insert yourself into a legend's debate for name recognition.

You're starting to look like John Delaney and Eric Swawell.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 11, 2019 2:06 AM

Jun 2016
Johan said:

Very simple.
A good excuse to have a shit taste 😎
Jul 11, 2019 2:08 AM

Oct 2010
How can a masterpiece be boring? I find logh boring but I bet the guys that scored it a 10 loved it a lot.
Jul 11, 2019 2:08 AM

May 2010
Edocchi said:
Johan said:

Very simple.
A good excuse to have a shit taste 😎

Orrrrrr an excuse to say i don't have fun watching something that's objectively poor. ;]

And what's objectively good, I can enjoy.

The better an anime is, the more i enjoy it. :)

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 11, 2019 2:09 AM

May 2010
Catalano said:
How can a masterpiece be boring? I find logh boring but I bet the guys that scored it a 10 loved it a lot.

I'd delete that comment before AnimeEveryday or Andocommando see it pal. It won't end well for you.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 11, 2019 2:10 AM

Jun 2015
hazecloud said:
Like studio ghibli movies could be wonderful but if you didn't watch it as a kid, you would probably think of it as childish or simply can't get into it.
I'm not too certain of that. As a kid (say when I was around 7) I'd rather have watched action-packed stuff like Yu Yu Hakusho I did back then (even if you're likely to consume whatever is airing at the moment) than something like a Ghibli movie that I easily enjoy and appreciate way more now as an adult.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - Apr 23

22 by LoveYourEyes »»
2 minutes ago

» who do you think is the best isekai mc and who is the worst ?

ame - 7 minutes ago

2 by tchitchouan »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » can anime influence your dark side?

deg - Apr 26

39 by Eleben »»
7 minutes ago

» Who are your allies in the anime industry/community?

Catalano - 5 hours ago

10 by tchitchouan »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

94 by ProGoddess »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.