Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 17, 2019 8:57 AM
Jul 2018
Many of us are aware of the "modern" elitists that started popping up around 2012. They're easily identified by their concerns with objective standards, having favorites like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Serial Experiments Lain, Yuasa's works, etc., and a general disdain for popular new anime. From my years of mostly lurking within the anime community I've come across many who congregated around prolific MAL reviewers that write harsh reviews, in clubs dedicated to elitism, the comments section of the defunct ThatAnimeSnob's YouTube videos, and various other offshoots on the Internet.

Something interesting I've noticed is that over time stuff like Love Live, Aikatsu, Ojamajo Doremi, and Kantai Collection start showing up among their favorites, and more often than not they start to waifufag characters from those shows. Behaviors that they repudiated.

So why is this the case? Why is Love Live ok but not harem shows? Have they simply been pretending to have better taste than everyone else? Discuss.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 17, 2019 9:07 AM

Aug 2017
I'm not even sure what elitist means anymore. At this point it seems like literally anything that isn't entry level is called elitist.
ItsYaBoiSkanaFeb 17, 2019 9:48 AM

Jan 2018
DrunkPuffin said:
Many of us are aware of the "modern" elitists that started popping up around 2012. They're easily identified by their concerns with objective standards, having favorites like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Serial Experiments Lain, Yuasa's works, etc., and a general disdain for popular new anime. From my years of mostly lurking within the anime community I've come across many who congregated around prolific MAL reviewers that write harsh reviews, in clubs dedicated to elitism, the comments section of the defunct ThatAnimeSnob's YouTube videos, and various other offshoots on the Internet.

Something interesting I've noticed is that over time stuff like Love Live, Aikatsu, Ojamajo Doremi, and Kantai Collection start showing up among their favorites, and more often than not they start to waifufag characters from those shows. Behaviors that they repudiated.

So why is this the case? Why is Love Live ok but not harem shows? Have they simply been pretending to have better taste than everyone else? Discuss.

In the words of Creed Bratton from The Office: "It's because they're lame!"
Seriously, 'Elitists' are lame...

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Oct 2010
I have literally never seen a scheme like this, and I don't think that the idol fans are at all the same stereotypical people who would only watch dark and mature psychological shows to start with.
Feb 17, 2019 9:15 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
the only thing i can say if this is happening is that often times when people bash things, thats just a sign that theyre low-key into it and just ashamed

i would assume some of them are growing out of their shame

although idk about the idol vs harems part, since its more acceptable among the "look how/manly and mature i am" crowd, to like harems than it is to like idol anime
Feb 17, 2019 9:15 AM

Nov 2013
DrunkPuffin said:
Have they simply been pretending to have better taste than everyone else?

you know the answer already

this is such a weird topic anyway, elitists in the anime community have always existed and will always have certain shows they deem "better" and it doesn't matter one way or the other
Feb 17, 2019 9:18 AM

Jan 2016
Damn, we entered the 2019 and these bait threads about elitist are still a thing.
Feb 17, 2019 9:20 AM

Nov 2017
Cardcaptor Sakura, Princess Tutu, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magical, Revolutionary Girl Utena are the magical girl shows that passed as anime for elitists.
Feb 17, 2019 9:39 AM

Jul 2015
i don't know. Perhaps those people aren't as close to their ideal of perfect objectivity as they would like to be.

That being said, I think a lot of people who have technical knowledge like animators freelance writers etc. simply see points that stick out about a show more clearly than the average viewer. That just comes along with having a deeper understanding of the subect. I've seen people like that referred to as elitist when all they've done is judge something based on their experience and knowledge in the field.

There are arguments that you can't win with opinion alone, even when theyre about a creative medium
It's okay to smirk

Feb 17, 2019 9:39 AM

Feb 2015
Everyone who likes or dislikes certain things is an elitist now? ok....
Feb 17, 2019 9:45 AM

Nov 2016
Every elitist has to have atleast 1 CGDCT show on their faves to balance things out. This is what we call [ C u t e E x c e p t i o n ] . The true Elite uses Love Live, Lucky Star, Nichijou, Little Witch Academia or Aria as their "[ C u t e E x c e p t i o n ]". The rest are just wannabes
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 17, 2019 9:47 AM

Jan 2019
The idea behind it is that only ANIME IS SERIOUS BUSINESS have favorites like LoGH, *Insert Old Mecha show*, Texhnolyze and that true anime fans watch anime with cute girls.

The anime community always makes fun of itself.
Feb 17, 2019 9:59 AM

May 2010
DrunkPuffin said:

I've never really seen a proper elitist with those shows in their favourites.

Afloo said:
Every elitist has to have atleast 1 CGDCT show on their faves to balance things out. This is what we call [ C u t e E x c e p t i o n ] . The true Elite uses Love Live, Lucky Star, Nichijou, Little Witch Academia or Aria as their "[ C u t e E x c e p t i o n ]". The rest are just wannabes

Aria is the one. I've never met an elitist who even likes Love Live, Lucky Star or Nichijou.

LWA they usually like, but not enough to consider it a favourite. It would still receive criticism if they put it in a 3x3

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 17, 2019 9:59 AM

Feb 2010
another thread for the ignore list.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 17, 2019 10:03 AM

May 2010
AshitaNoJonas said:
Everyone who likes or dislikes certain things is an elitist now? ok....

Why are you obfuscating? If what you ony like is acclaimed critical titles such as LotGH, SEL, Texhnolyse, Ergo Proxy, Haibane Renmei, Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong the Animation, Monster, Mushishi, Aria, Gankutsuo, Ashita no Joe, Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, Perfect Blue, etc

and you simultaneously hate nearly every single popular modern anime- SAO, Akame ga Kill, Erased, Re:Zero, Ano Hana, Shigatsu, Angel Beats, etc

Then yeah that's exactly what you are

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 17, 2019 10:04 AM

Jun 2017
I never saw any elitist who is a Mahou Shoujo fan
Feb 17, 2019 10:08 AM

May 2010
mhkr said:

Some of them will include Revolutionary Girl Utena among their favourites, but that's an ikuhara work so opinion is very divided.

very rarely you may see one with Madoka Magika in there- or sometimes Cardcaptor Sakura

Other than that yeah i pretty much agree

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 17, 2019 10:09 AM

May 2010
Skana said:
I'm not even sure what elitist means anymore. At this point it seems like literally anything that isn't entry level is called elitist.

I'd be glad to define elitism for you you :)

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 17, 2019 10:10 AM

Aug 2018
I don't know what you're smoking, but I want some.

All these what you call 'elitists" are nothing more but insecure dudes that know they are useless and has nothing else going on in their lives.
Move on. Next bullshit thread.
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Feb 17, 2019 10:33 AM

Apr 2015
This has to be one of the most ridiculous threads that I've ever seen in a while.
Feb 17, 2019 10:39 AM

Feb 2015
I guess OP is referring to people like this: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Christopher9

But I guess it's just another way of insulting people. If you only have critically acclaimed psychological anime in your favourites, people call you an elitist. If you have some anime that fit this stereotype and some that don't, you're an "elitist who also puts XYZ in their list". It doesn't matter what you do, some people will always judge for your faves I guess...

Also, the OP has Utena and Aria in his list... is he an elitist too????

@Johan
You don't know what the word elitist means. According to my definition (which isn't related to favourites), you are one too.

Feb 17, 2019 10:45 AM

May 2010
AshitaNoJonas said:
I guess OP is referring to people like this: https://myanimelist.net/profile/Christopher9

But I guess it's just another way of insulting people. If you only have critically acclaimed psychological anime in your favourites, people call you an elitist. If you have some anime that fit this stereotype and some that don't, you're an "elitist who also puts XYZ in their list". It doesn't matter what you do, some people will always judge for your faves I guess...

@Johan
You don't know what the word elitist means. According to my definition (which isn't related to favourites), you are one too.

You need a better definition then. I'm literally one of the furthest people this website can possibly have from an elitist. I spend the majority of my time defending popular titles like SAO, ERased, RE:Zero, Akame ga Kill, etc.

How is it literally possible for that to make me "an elitist"?

This is what you true elitists do though, obfuscate and confuse the issue by calling everyone else an elitist that rejects your bullshit philosophy.

Go rewatch Haibane Renmei, and stop arguing in the forums.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 17, 2019 10:55 AM
Jul 2018
Johan said:
AshitaNoJonas said:

@Johan

You need a better definition then. I'm literally one of the furthest people this website can possibly have from an elitist. I spend the majority of my time defending popular titles like SAO, ERased, RE:Zero, Akame ga Kill, etc.

This is what you true elitists do though, obfuscate and confuse the issue by calling everyone else an elitist that rejects your bullshit philosophy.

I don't know if you are one, but you don't know what it means to be one. What they like isn't what makes an elitist, it's their attitude towards what they like. If they dislike this thing it is objectively bad, and anyone who likes it has terrible tastes with no critical thinking skills. If they like something, it is objectively good, and anyone with decent taste would be able to see that. Elitists are egocentric, that is what makes one.
Feb 17, 2019 11:07 AM

May 2010
Peaceful_Critic said:
Johan said:

I don't know if you are one, but you don't know what it means to be one. What they like isn't what makes an elitist, it's their attitude towards what they like. If they dislike this thing it is objectively bad, and anyone who likes it has terrible tastes with no critical thinking skills. If they like something, it is objectively good, and anyone with decent taste would be able to see that. Elitists are egocentric, that is what makes one.

That's just completely false. I've been on this site and at the forefront of discourse on this topic probably since you were in middle school.

Your Ego/attitude could literally be the furthest thing from what makes you an elitist.

What if you're a 14 year old that says

"NARUTO IS THE BEST ANIME EVER, AND IF YOU CAN'T SEE THAT THEN YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT"

Does that make you an elitist?

Of course not, and aboslutely every rational functioning human being wouldn't claim that guy to be an elitist.

But what if you say this

"Legend of the Galactic Heroes incorporates such a wide array of themes that are well constructed and composed with deep, intellectual characters that drive the plot forward. Shows like Code Geass are just a failed attempt at drawing inspiration from LoTGH and no anime can ever recapture its brilliance." "Lelouch is just an edgy edgelord and the writing in Code Geass panders to the highest common denominator of anime fans.

Yupp that's p much elitsm.

What if you don't say that directly ? Would you agree scores can tell someone's perception? Well a near consensus would say yes, at the very least scores condenses what someone thought of a show into a number.

What happens when someone has ONLY those social consensus "good" shows with high scores / favourites and has a disdain for every single other popular show that deviates from that consensus?

For example if someone has

LotGH, Texhnolyse, Ergo Proxy, Haibane Renmei, Ashita no Joe, Aria, Ping Pong, Tatami Galaxy, Monster, Mushishi, etc their only shows scored 8 or higher

And then consistently takes the most popular shows every season, every year and rates them 4 or below

What kind of information can we ascertain about that person?

Not sure why people try so hard to obfuscate on this topic.

I literally promise your ego has 0.00% of whether you're an elitist or not.

Ecchi/Casual fans can be some of the worst human beings alive. Jerks, assholes, serial killers w/e - i don't care what they do but they'll never be an eliist.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 17, 2019 11:11 AM

Nov 2016
It's been a while since I've seen such a retarded thread ok, it actually hasn't been that long

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 17, 2019 11:15 AM

Aug 2017
Yeah, I too have stumbled upon many profiles with with seemingly cute shows like Love live, K-on, Hibike, Ojamajo in favs among others. Whether they are being ironic or serious isn't clear. Not that there's inherently wrong with keeping them in favourites though. But then again, ironically, OP's forum avatar is from hidamari sketch. Oh well.
efeuilleFeb 17, 2019 11:21 AM
Feb 17, 2019 11:16 AM

May 2018
Elitists don't watch anime tho, so you're probably wrong.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Feb 17, 2019 11:22 AM

May 2010
Sachyan said:

>>Elitists don't watch anime tho, so you're probably wrong.

>>Elitists shouldn't watch anime tho, so you're probably wrong.

Corrected that one for you boss <3

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 17, 2019 11:26 AM
Jul 2018
Johan said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

That's just completely false. I've been on this site and at the forefront of discourse on this topic probably since you were in middle school.

Your Ego/attitude could literally be the furthest thing from what makes you an elitist.

"NARUTO IS THE BEST ANIME EVER, AND IF YOU CAN'T SEE THAT THEN YOU'RE A FUCKING IDIOT"

Of course not, and aboslutely every rational functioning human being wouldn't claim that guy to be an elitist.

But what if you say this

"Legend of the Galactic Heroes incorporates such a wide array of themes that are well constructed and composed with deep, intellectual characters that drive the plot forward. Shows like Code Geass are just a failed attempt at drawing inspiration from LoTGH and no anime can ever recapture its brilliance." "Lelouch is just an edgy edgelord and the writing in Code Geass panders to the highest common denominator of anime fans.

What if you don't say that directly ? Would you agree scores can tell someone's perception? Well a near consensus would say yes, at the very least scores condenses what someone thought of a show into a number.

What happens when someone has ONLY those social consensus "good" shows with high scores / favourites and has a disdain for every single other popular show that deviates from that consensus?

LotGH, Texhnolyse, Ergo Proxy, Haibane Renmei, Ashita no Joe, Aria, Ping Pong, Tatami Galaxy, Monster, Mushishi, etc their only shows scored 8 or higher

And then consistently takes the most popular shows every season, every year and rates them 4 or below

Ecchi/Casual fans can be some of the worst human beings alive. Jerks, assholes, serial killers w/e - i don't care what they do but they'll never be an eliist.

You are confusing the trends of an elitist with an elitist themselves. Elitist wanting to appear superior would want to pick shows everyone agrees is good, it ruins their credibility if they have non conforming tastes. That is a trend among them. However, by their definition, that's not what makes one:

"(of a person or class of persons) considered superior by others or by themselves, as in intellect, talent, power, wealth, or position in society"-Dictonary.com

" A person who believes that they are superior to others (and thus deserve favored status) because of their intellect, social status, wealth, or other factors."-Urban Dictionary

"Demonstrating a superior attitude or behavior "-First thing that showed up on the google search.

Superiority and ego, has all to do what makes someone an elite, so yes even that child claiming that Naruto is the best, fits the standard definition. That adult using complex word choices and comparisons isn't an elitist, they just stated their opinion, in a way they saw fit.
Feb 17, 2019 11:26 AM

May 2018
Johan said:
Sachyan said:

>>Elitists don't watch anime tho, so you're probably wrong.

>>Elitists shouldn't watch anime tho, so you're probably wrong.

Corrected that one for you boss <3

good for you m8, teach me how to be so funny later pls.

Feb 17, 2019 11:32 AM

May 2010
Peaceful_Critic said:
Johan said:

But what if you say this

You are confusing the trends of an elitist with an elitist themselves. Elitist wanting to appear superior would want to pick shows everyone agrees is good, it ruins their credibility if they have non conforming tastes. That is a trend among them. However, by their definition, that's not what makes one:

"(of a person or class of persons) considered superior by others or by themselves, as in intellect, talent, power, wealth, or position in society"-Dictonary.com

" A person who believes that they are superior to others (and thus deserve favored status) because of their intellect, social status, wealth, or other factors."-Urban Dictionary

"Demonstrating a superior attitude or behavior "-First thing that showed up on the google search.

Superiority and ego, has all to do what makes someone an elite, so yes even that child claiming that Naruto is the best, fits the standard definition. That adult using complex word choices and comparisons isn't an elitist, they just stated their opinion, in a way they saw fit.

And it's people like you who have confused the issue and made it so that noone knows how to apply the word elitist anymore. Congrats. That's exactly what the elitists want. The right to hide behind their elitism and claim anyone and everyone can be an elitist. See I'm not the real elitist.

If you think you can have or be perceived to have superior intellect/taste based on saying Naruto is the best anime ever, then there's nothing further to discuss with you.

Like i said I've been at the forefront of dealing with this discourse since you started secondary.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 17, 2019 11:33 AM

Jan 2016
At least a true elitist appeared.

Thanks Johan for your educational replies.
Feb 17, 2019 11:33 AM

Dec 2016
It is because elitists are not truly elitists, but rather tsundere for anime in general.

What's the difference?
Feb 17, 2019 11:36 AM

May 2010
Johnnyd3rp said:
At least a true elitist appeared.

Thanks Johan for your educational replies.

Probably the dumbest post on this thread.

Everyone with a half functioning brain, again knows i'm literlly the furthest thing from an elitist.

But let's obfuscate and call the guy calling out true elitism an elitist to attempt to discredit him.

Standard diversion rhetoric.

Boring.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 17, 2019 11:41 AM
Jul 2018
Johan said:
Peaceful_Critic said:

And it's people like you who have confused the issue and made it so that noone knows how to apply the word elitist anymore. Congrats. That's exactly what the elitists want. The right to hide behind their elitism and claim anyone and everyone can be an elitist. See I'm not the real elitist.

If you think you can have or be perceived to have superior intellect/taste based on saying Naruto is the best anime ever, then there's nothing further to discuss with you.

Like i said I've been at the forefront of dealing with this discourse since you started secondary.
I never claimed you are one, I stated quote on quote: "I don't know if you are one" right from the start. I used factual, well-trusted dictionaries to prove my point, blame them for confusing the definitions, not me if you feel so compelled to disagree with it. I stated that them thinking they are superior makes the kid an elitist, not that they are superior. Even if the kid liked Legend of the Galatic Heroes, he wouldn't be superior, as there is no taste better than another.
removed-userFeb 17, 2019 11:54 AM
Feb 17, 2019 12:11 PM
Jul 2018
jal90 said:
I have literally never seen a scheme like this, and I don't think that the idol fans are at all the same stereotypical people who would only watch dark and mature psychological shows to start with.
This does not apply to the vast majority of idol fans. I wanted to talk about those who were originally elitists that disapproved of the moe and escapist qualities of popular anime, only to enjoy idol anime themselves.

EcchiGodMamsterP said:
the only thing i can say if this is happening is that often times when people bash things, thats just a sign that theyre low-key into it and just ashamed
That's a reasoning I can get behind. Also something else to note is that in more recent times irony has become much more pervasive within the anime community. Maybe this allowed former elitists to be able to enjoy what they've always liked in the open with the additional veil of irony to hide behind rather than lashing out?

mhkr said:
Outside of the "dark" mahou shoujo shows like Utena and Princess Tutu, I've seen a lot of praise for Ojamajo Doremi and Cardcaptor Sakura from this group as well.

5tein said:
Yeah, I too have stumbled upon many profiles with with seemingly cute shows like Love live, K-on, Hibike, Ojamajo in favs among others. Whether they are being ironic or serious isn't clear. Not that there's inherently wrong with keeping them in favourites though. But then again, ironically, OP's forum avatar is from hidamari sketch. Oh well.
I never purported to being an elitist so I don't see what's ironic about my forum avatar.
Feb 17, 2019 12:18 PM
Jul 2018
OP why do you generalize a bunch of anime fans solely based on their favorite anime and talk about them like this is some kind of animal documentary? Or are you just baiting?

Feb 17, 2019 12:21 PM

May 2018
Mnn I never heard of any direct and general complaints about moe, cute things, idols, mahou shoujo, and other anime trends. Usually the ones you call "elitists" just despise very specific elements badly executed within the media itself, so is not about genres and thematic as a whole.

Feb 17, 2019 12:25 PM
Jul 2018
AshitaNoJonas said:

I'm not trying to insult anyone nor am I trying to make up different ways to call someone an elitist. Rather, I only intended to point out something I've encountered numerous times and figure out the rationale behind this phenomenon. A lot of Snob fans absolutely hated K-On and most waifu shows, held themselves to be objective purveyors of anime quality, only to turn around and fanboy over Nozomi. It's contradictory for sure. The why of this shift is something I'm interested in.
Feb 17, 2019 12:33 PM

May 2018
Actually elitists are pitiful dummies with no personality. Being an elitist means that your opinion MUST be 100% similar to your comrades. An elitist must love certain shows and must hate certain shows. For example, If you dare to dislike NGE or some of elitist's sacred shows, or you like the show that elitists say is shit, you are considered a pleb and don't belong to sect anymore.
So, basically, elitists are just pretentious fanboys who shouldn't be regarded seriously

Feb 17, 2019 12:34 PM
Jul 2018
Sachyan said:
Mnn I never heard of any direct and general complaints about moe, cute things, idols, mahou shoujo, and other anime trends. Usually the ones you call "elitists" just despise very specific elements badly executed within the media itself, so is not about genres and thematic as a whole.
Looking through this thread itself https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1767174&show=0 proves otherwise. Some gems include:

"Old anime are always better. Nowadays we see fucking ecchi/harems/isekai trash for each fucking season.

We gained nothing. We lost everything.l"

"You're a complete moron if you think new anime is anywhere close to old anime. Old anime is better and will always be better than new anime. What new anime made in the past 5 years is better than NGE, Bebop, LOGH, Macross, and Ergo Proxy? None of them. The new garbage that these idiots put out every year will never be remembered because they're all fucking trash. For example, The Promised Neverland. This anime is complete fucking garbage. None of the new shit will ever be as good as anime. Real anime fans with high levels of thinking such as myself know that old is the best."

If you go into the comments of certain YouTube videos, this same sentiment is prevalent throughout.
Feb 17, 2019 12:54 PM

Jun 2015
Love Live, iDOLM@STER and AKB0048 are among my favorite shows, because they're well done, fun as heck, know what they're doing, and are doing it beautifully.

I don't hate modern anime. I hate the acceptance of mediocrity that's so present nowadays. It's not about appreciating art these days, it's about consuming as much shit as possible while not giving a damn about quality. Most of the stuff that gets pumped out these days is low-effort, surface-appealing crap that's as low quality as it gets and is produced solely to spend the least and make the most money possible. The fact that drivel like Bunny Girl Senpai or Goblin Slayer can be beloved and praised is baffling.
I don't hate modern anime, I hate digging through heaps of crap to find actually good, passionately made, non-corporate stuff.
Feb 17, 2019 12:54 PM

May 2018
DrunkPuffin said:
Sachyan said:
Looking through this thread itself https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1767174&show=0 proves otherwise. Some gems include:

"Old anime are always better. Nowadays we see fucking ecchi/harems/isekai trash for each fucking season.

We gained nothing. We lost everything.l"

"You're a complete moron if you think new anime is anywhere close to old anime. Old anime is better and will always be better than new anime. What new anime made in the past 5 years is better than NGE, Bebop, LOGH, Macross, and Ergo Proxy? None of them. The new garbage that these idiots put out every year will never be remembered because they're all fucking trash. For example, The Promised Neverland. This anime is complete fucking garbage. None of the new shit will ever be as good as anime. Real anime fans with high levels of thinking such as myself know that old is the best."

If you go into the comments of certain YouTube videos, this same sentiment is prevalent throughout.

This sounds more like either trolling, bait or nostalgia to me (and a lot of people are just circle jerking for fun because this kind of topic is already a meme), not elitism actually.

Feb 17, 2019 1:03 PM

Oct 2010
@DrunkPuffin So basically if they expand their tastes it's bad? Yeah tell me more. And show some examples, now that we are at it.

Even better if you don't quote a guy who registered yesterday, is an obvious troll/alt account and given how fast you were at quoting his obvious bait, it may very well be your alt.
Feb 17, 2019 1:59 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
DrunkPuffin said:
jal90 said:
This does not apply to the vast majority of idol fans. I wanted to talk about those who were originally elitists that disapproved of the moe and escapist qualities of popular anime, only to enjoy idol anime themselves.

EcchiGodMamsterP said:
That's a reasoning I can get behind. Also something else to note is that in more recent times irony has become much more pervasive within the anime community. Maybe this allowed former elitists to be able to enjoy what they've always liked in the open with the additional veil of irony to hide behind rather than lashing out?

mhkr said:
Outside of the "dark" mahou shoujo shows like Utena and Princess Tutu, I've seen a lot of praise for Ojamajo Doremi and Cardcaptor Sakura from this group as well.

5tein said:
I never purported to being an elitist so I don't see what's ironic about my forum avatar.

Knowing the shame nerds tend to have it can he hard yo tell whos being honest and whos not when it comes to safe spot anime

Ppl bash things they're ashamed to like so I can never know who to believe

A person w all ecchi or loli favorites seems like they have a lot less to hide than someone w all critical acclaim series

And it's not even that I dont believe ppl can actually just prefer the highest rated series it's just too many ppl dont admit things out of fear

Its honestly pretty annoying being told by ppl how much they love ecchi then I look at their list and its nothing but safe spot shows

How am I supposed to take that seriously?
Feb 17, 2019 2:30 PM

May 2009
The elitism meme is stupid.

Definition not found for "waifufag [verb]".
Concluding as shitpost.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 17, 2019 2:40 PM

Apr 2016
I actually believe elitist anime fans don't enjoy anime. They always have legend of the galactic heroes, serial experiments lein or whatever it's called, and also technolyze in their favorites. I really think their sole explanation as to why they like those anime, is to appear "intelligent" and edgy to their fellow peers. There is no way they actually enjoy those anime. They're beyond boring and provide nothing as a watching experience. That's just my theory anyway.

Edge will be edge.
Feb 17, 2019 2:43 PM

May 2010
-Senpapi said:
I actually believe elitist anime fans don't enjoy anime. They always have legend of the galactic heroes, serial experiments lein or whatever it's called, and also technolyze in their favorites. I really think their sole explanation as to why they like those anime, is to appear "intelligent" and edgy to their fellow peers. There is no way they actually enjoy those anime. They're beyond boring and provide nothing as a watching experience. That's just my theory anyway.

Edge will be edge.

I'm not even sure I myself would go THAT far but i do agree that their primary motive is to appear smart, edgy and different.

It's really sad actually

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 17, 2019 2:45 PM

Nov 2016
I'm actually amazed how twisted some of the assumptions about people favs are.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 17, 2019 2:47 PM

Apr 2018
Elitist is about mindset and attitude, not about what you like and don't like.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you think we should have more realistic anime?

ImNotAnOtaku1 - Apr 14

45 by Jonas-K »»
4 minutes ago

» The most beautiful series in visual/artistic aspect? Share your opinion :)

windyshadow - 51 minutes ago

5 by Ratris_Decision »»
4 minutes ago

» What anime do you refuse to watch since you have already read the source material?

Kushna - 2 hours ago

5 by Yonahim_Zz »»
12 minutes ago

» Blackmail netorare hentais are really dumb

Kingdom-ya - Yesterday

10 by Archean-Return »»
12 minutes ago

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 10 hours ago

49 by WatchTillTandava »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.