Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2019 10:02 AM

Apr 2015
Okay so I can tell the build up for the future episodes is going to be amazing! The OST and animation plus characterization build up (for a first episode) is amazing so far!

CGI might be a bit noticeable but I have seen much worse, and the CGs work well so far.

Really loved this episode and can't wait for the next two episodes to get subbed later today.
Jul 7, 2019 10:04 AM

Jun 2014
bbrian said:
is this getting dubbed or nah

Not anytime soon. It's being distributed by Amazon internationally and it takes a while for their stuff to get dubbed.
:3
Jul 7, 2019 10:07 AM
Sep 2013
alpha_shadow said:
bbrian said:
is this getting dubbed or nah

Not anytime soon. It's being distributed by Amazon internationally and it takes a while for their stuff to get dubbed.

word guess ill just watch it subbed
Jul 7, 2019 10:07 AM

Aug 2012
Fucking good start. Thors and Ylva are my favs.
Jul 7, 2019 10:08 AM
Sep 2015
I think Studio Wit make a perfect anime adaptation (even with all those 3DCG), however I still have a bad first impression. So the only one to blame is the source, which is manga from 14 years ago. I shouldn't have high hope on the old manga in the first place. But it also make me glad at the same time that the industry is improving all the time that the newer material is (on average) better than the older material. Otherwise we're gonna stuck in classics works and can't move on.
Jul 7, 2019 10:16 AM

Jun 2016
First episode was amazing! The opening was also great and the ending was by Aimer so yeah
Can't wait for the other ones.
Jul 7, 2019 10:16 AM
Jan 2018
The first 5 minutes was kinda pointless
Jul 7, 2019 10:29 AM

Mar 2018
Damn fantastic first episode. I only disliked the CGI where 3 soldiers get sliced at once, it was also the only ugly thing the trailer. The rest is all beatiful.

So it's obvious what's going to happen, it's Ned Stark type shit all over again.. love me some good tragedy

CrayonColorLife said:
So what was pointless about it? lol
poop
Jul 7, 2019 10:34 AM

Aug 2013
This was a great start.

The first part with all the actions looked great and was brutal the way people were getting sliced.

The OP & ED are great as well.

Jul 7, 2019 10:35 AM

May 2016
Had high expectations for it and it didn't betray me so far, Thors looks like he has some regrets and Thorffin is pretty cheerful despite the change in the op.

Ed song is my fav. 5/5
Jul 7, 2019 10:40 AM
Aug 2016
That was a good episode. The animation was great, but I felt that the pacing was slow (I am an anime only fan). Nevertheless, the opening is fantastic and the ending, too is good. Hoping to see the dark side of the anime soon. 4/5 for me.
Jul 7, 2019 10:47 AM
Aug 2016
CrayonColorLife said:

Depends on the context: Current story disclosed so far: Yes; future story: Maybe No :P
Jul 7, 2019 10:56 AM

Dec 2009
Phenomenal adaption by Wit Studio. Very faithful adaption to the manga, high exceptions going forward for the series.

Can't believe people are complaining about the CGI, it was very limited at select scenes but it was not bad at all. If anything I was impressed with the CGI. We've all seen worst....
Jul 7, 2019 10:57 AM

May 2017
that was simply amazing. The story telling is so so on point. You can tell by the little things how well this show is written, Halfdan would have have for sure attacked and most likely killed Thors in the debate about the slave in pretty much every other mediocre shounen story, the way this played out felt so mature. I mean Halfdan doesn't seem like the type to ambush him afterwards or anything but we can't be sure.

The character art and the backgrounds are in my eyes honestly perfect. The same goes for the music.. oh wow what a mesmerizing soundtrack so far.. and Aimer? Yea she dropped another masterpiece, will listen to this ending every single episode.

The animation was also on another level. So much character movement.

I'm giving this a 10/10 for now until the quality drops. Yes there's the CGI but as long as they keep it minimal like they did in this episode I think it won't interfere with my enjoyment too much.
Jul 7, 2019 11:00 AM

Feb 2017
Can't believe that Vinland Saga actually got a good adaptation (so far). If it continues like this, it will be amazing.
Jul 7, 2019 11:03 AM

Dec 2014
Incredible episode, holy shit.

I have heard so much praise for the manga but damn this was amazing. The atmosphere is fantastic. Even though this was just a build up episode, you can almost tell that you're in store for something great.

Already liking all the characters so far.

The soundtrack, especially at the end was absolutely stellar, wow. Great production too, the art is especially is beautiful.
I am genuinely very excited to see what's to come.
Jul 7, 2019 11:06 AM

Jul 2015
Fantastic episode, everything was to the mark.

They really brought out all the feelings of the characters that the characters have.

5/5 episode.

Jul 7, 2019 11:14 AM
Dec 2015
Cool fight interesting start, not all slaves were treated like that, but k, also virgin Mary? Thought they'd praise viking gods so it confused me there. Is Maria a viking God? Or am I missing a history lesson, definitely interested for more 7/10 for now, I can see it improving but a viking should know a good deal from a bad deal.
Jul 7, 2019 11:17 AM

Jun 2016
The animation in this anime is gorgeous. Op song is lit. Stop listening to people that said the CGI was bad. I can already say that this show will be best summer anime.
Ylva is bae ♥️.
Jul 7, 2019 11:24 AM
Aug 2010
Ylva is best girl. And yes, I know of later characters, I stand by my stance. I never got why she wasn't married off by now.
Jul 7, 2019 11:29 AM

Sep 2017
Pretty good. I'm hyped for this. Though I'm not sure if it's accurate on the historical details. Like, is CPR already an establish practice in 10C? A quick research on wiki seems to suggest that it hasn't been around until 18C. There are also other things that make me feel like they are modern people thrown into a medieval setting, but it still does a much better job than many other anime shows in bringing out a historical setting. Plenty of details of their daily life. So far I would give it a 7/10.
Jul 7, 2019 11:32 AM

Jul 2014
Excellent first episode, by far and away the strongest I've seen this season. The production values are outstanding, so here's hoping Wit can maintain that for as long as possible. We didn't get too much plot this episode, but I'm already heavily invested. And it's been too long since I last heard an Aimer song attached to a show.

It's very tempting to go straight into episodes 2 and 3, but I think I'd rather wait and watch one per week so I'm not waiting around for three weeks to watch episode 4 after that.
Jul 7, 2019 11:37 AM
Jul 2017
Tsarko said:
Ch0taku said:
Where can I watch it sub

Nowhere for now because Amazon fucked up.

Bruh,the first 3 eps are available on kissanime subbed so, just relax and enjoy this amazing show
Jul 7, 2019 11:46 AM
Jul 2018
wow it ended up very different and nice than I remember. Enjoyed every moments and liking the slow plot development. Great AOTY potential contender.
Jul 7, 2019 12:00 PM

Nov 2018
it was pretty nice, i think i'm gonna watch a few eps and then devide if i'll continue. i'm not into dark shows
Jul 7, 2019 12:04 PM

Mar 2017
honeycrush said:
it was pretty nice, i think i'm gonna watch a few eps and then devide if i'll continue. i'm not into dark shows
Why do you watch AoT then lmao. It's just as dark as this, so you make zero sense.
Jul 7, 2019 12:04 PM

Apr 2017
oh i am loving this. as a mythology nerd this shit just dragged me in. the scenery is just GORGEOUS! and the action sequences are beautiful, i wouldn't expect anything less from wit.

and the OP done by SSTP and the ED done by aimer? um yes please.
Jul 7, 2019 12:05 PM

Mar 2017
I liked this episode, it really introduced the characters well and gave some good info about the Vikings and their history
Jul 7, 2019 12:10 PM

Aug 2013
Will probably be AOTY if adapted correctly. Hopefully Wit Studio will maintain the quality these three episodes had.
"Doubting everything that you take on... That is very important. Open your own eyes, clear out your ears, and look and listen to the world... And think using your own brain. After you've doubted everything, there is a possibility of something real to believe in. To believe in something, doubt everything."

Jul 7, 2019 12:10 PM
Sep 2017
Episode is top notch...made my day!
Jul 7, 2019 12:13 PM

Nov 2018
Brandon2149 said:
honeycrush said:
Why do you watch AoT then lmao. It's just as dark as this, so you make zero sense.

yeah, that's the exception. i avoided aot for years for that reason.
Jul 7, 2019 12:16 PM

Jan 2009
maybe this Vinland place is fiction since it sounds like a utopia during that time
Jul 7, 2019 12:23 PM

Nov 2016
What an epic start. The fight scenes, the violence, the attention to detail and the sense of adventure.

Characterwise I'm especially fond of Thors. He has quite the intimidating aura and is a badass on the battlefield while still being kind and composed. Definitely not the type of guy you want on your bad side. Makes me wonder to what kind of guy Thorfinn is going to grow up to.

This shows so much promise and I'm already sold.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 7, 2019 12:30 PM

Sep 2017

I liked!! only that CGI that does not convince me at all ... hopefully improve that: c
Jul 7, 2019 12:31 PM

Apr 2017
HYYYYYYYYYPE, I absolutely love the manga and was super excited when I saw that it was airing today, and then suddenly I see there's 3 whole episodes already!? My excitement cannot be contained right now. This first episode wasn't exactly what I had expected, but I understand why they've moved it around a little. The opening to the manga is one of my favorite chapters in any manga, but it does make more sense to start from this point rather than starting mid-story and then jumping back to the beginning later. All the characters look fantastic and the animation is amazing thus far. Hopefully it all keeps up and there won't be a massive quality drop. Ylva look great too ;)

I love to talk anime and manga, feel free to message me!
Jul 7, 2019 12:35 PM

Mar 2016
The ice actually made me feel cold even though it's freaking hot here.

The art is absolutely beautiful and the animation is quite well done.

The little Thorfinn reminded me of Falco (SnK) for some reason. They don't even look alike!

This is just a personal opinion, but it felt like the op didn't fit the setting. It just sounded too modern for me. I think Kajiura Yuki would have done a great job if she got to compose the soundtracks for this anime.
Jul 7, 2019 12:37 PM
Jan 2018
Intresting start got a good feeling about this . Been considering to buy the manga at one point
Jul 7, 2019 1:23 PM

Dec 2012
I'm glad this turned out pretty well. Had my reservations after recent Berserk and Kingdom adaptations.
Jul 7, 2019 1:48 PM

Oct 2017
deg said:
maybe this Vinland place is fiction since it sounds like a utopia during that time

Vinland wasn't fiction. Leif Erikson was a real person (like a lot characters in this story including our MC) and did go to Vinland or North America likely to be theorized around Canada as that is where we have found Norse settlements. Leif could have landed further south though since the climate probably wouldn't fit his description. Of course in the story he is telling a mythological tale of exploits and ultimately he and Thors are hoping for a better place that is isolated away from their troubles but is also warmer than their current refuge.

Jul 7, 2019 1:55 PM

Jul 2019
That was an awesome first episode. I felt a little bad for the old guy everytime people called him a liar haha.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Jul 7, 2019 2:01 PM

Sep 2018
My most anticipated adaptation of the year, but i also had my problems getting hyped because i thought that animation couldnt do the art of the manga justice.

So here it is and what do i say...its truly BREATHTAKING.

But i am me and i complain about everything so here i go.

I dont have much to complaim about really, but why change the beginning and reveal a pretty big question for the viewer in the beginning, i hope they dont change to much in the future but who knows.The other thing to complain is...the animation is as expected from wit not bad but on the other hand it doesnt do the manga justice (to expected) and we got the glorious Wit CG back.

Great beginning to a AOTS and AOTY contender.

Yandere-Dragon said:
Seems like typical over the top bombastic action.

Dont know how much gets adapted in the first Season but somewhere in the 2nd if we get one the series changes tones from a over the top but good action show to a even better more SoL Character focussed Adventure show.
-Mullerio-Jul 7, 2019 2:09 PM
Jul 7, 2019 2:17 PM

Aug 2015
Great first episode. I liked the OST and the sounds. The visuals are also amazing. I don't think the CGI is perfect but it is way better than what you see in most other anime.

As a Swede this is a lot of fun to see, it's so cool to hear them mention parts of history. For those of you who don't know, Leif was a real person (though they spelled his name wrong, it's supposed to be with a K not C. And two S) and Vinland was a real thing (it's called Canada nowadays). I love how they went into such detail that the flowers they show on the ground are flowers that are very common in Scandinavia and the nordic countries.

I must say I don't really like the opening, neither the song (I don't like screaming) or the visuals (would have liked to see something more symbolic rather than battles), would have been cooler to get something that fit the viking theme more. ED is good though.
JokucJul 7, 2019 2:20 PM
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Jul 7, 2019 2:37 PM

Jul 2015
Good enough to continue watching. Let's see how it goes.
Jul 7, 2019 2:38 PM

Sep 2017
Now that was a good first episode. Easily the best so far that I've watched. Time to go onto the next.
Jul 7, 2019 2:38 PM

Oct 2017
Great I was hooked from the very beginning. Like the idea of it and that we've already got one time jump. Probably another one will happen very soon.
The Young Noble of the Field is currently watching - Diamond no Ace: Act II
Misugi-kun is also reading - Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Jul 7, 2019 2:54 PM

Jan 2018
Stunning. If I had to describe this show in one word, that would be it. The art and animation are top notch, the setting is really interesting, and the character designs are also great. The two years of waiting really payed off with this god tier first episode, and it's just going to constantly get better and better. I think we have the best new anime of 2019 right here and it's not even close. The music is really great, thanks to the composer of Tokyo Ghoul. I really hope the rest of the show is well done, because this experience will be one that I'll remember for many years to come. 10/10 episode.
Jul 7, 2019 3:26 PM

Jul 2016
Great start. Im not a fan of the OP, but the ED is nice.

Jul 7, 2019 3:45 PM

Aug 2018
Looks very promising, the vikings fictionnal anime/movies/games aren't that common (medevial era with knights & castles is more popular for instance) so they already earned a point in originality. Another positive point : vikings tended to like wars & slaughters, so I'm glad the censorship was minor this episode, especially with the guy mutilated with the chain.

Honest question here ( I did not do any kind of research) : how come did they release 3 episodes at once ? Not that I complain, but I honestly just hope we won't have to wait 3 weeks for 4th.
Jul 7, 2019 3:50 PM

Jun 2019
It was pretty easy to watch and get hooked on right away, nice contrast between the cg and 2d fights, Those 28 minutes kept me entertained and eager to see more
Jul 7, 2019 4:00 PM

Apr 2012
So, to some extent it will be the Scandinavian analogue of Dororo? I didn't read the original manga, but considering the overall studio and the seemingly similar message ... However, the first episode looks really pretty. I like the protagonist and his family, and as a resident of a country whose statehood was founded by Varangians, I even feel a certain “kinship” with them.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

408 by FarCritical »»
May 20, 3:21 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by FarCritical »»
May 20, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

166 by FarCritical »»
May 19, 11:16 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

801 by Lauverine »»
May 17, 12:44 PM

» English Sub or Dub?

Benassiesto - May 11

25 by Quv »»
May 12, 4:37 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.