Forum Settings
Forums

Studio Trigger Reveals 'BNA' Anime Series for 2020 Premiere

New
Jul 5, 2019 9:15 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
An original anime series titled BNA (Brand New Animal) was announced by animation studio Trigger at its Anime Expo panel on Friday. A key visual (pictured) was also previewed at the panel. The television anime will air on Fuji TV's +Ultra programming block in 2020.

You Yoshinari—the original creator, director, and character designer for the Little Witch Academia anime franchise—is helming the production. Kazuki Nakashima, the veteran writer behind Kill la Kill and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, will be in charge of the script. This marks the first time Yoshinari and Nakashima are collaborating.

Yoshinari drew the character line art for the key visual. Canadian artist Genice Chan is credited for the background art and color design.

Studio Trigger was established by directors Hiroyuki Imaishi, Masahiko Otsuka, and producer Kazuya Masumoto in 2011 after they left Gainax. As a part of the 2013 Anime Mirai project, Trigger produced the short film Little Witch Academia, which later inspired a second film in 2015 and a television anime in 2017.

Trigger primarily produces original anime, beginning with Kill la Kill in 2013. The studio's first feature-length anime film, Promare, opened in Japan on May 24, earning a cumulative 731 million yen (approximately US$6.74 million) as of June 30.

Official site: https://bna-anime.com/

Source: Comic Natalie

News tip submitted by zagzee

Brand New Animal on MAL
VindstotMay 5, 2020 11:12 AM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 5, 2019 9:17 PM
Aug 2018
Looks promising, let's hope it pays off when it's released next year
Jul 5, 2019 9:19 PM
Ready to Ruffle

Oct 2014
Cyberpunk Zootopia, let's goooooooooooooooooooo.
Jul 5, 2019 9:23 PM

Nov 2008
It can go either way...
Jul 5, 2019 9:23 PM

Apr 2014
this is probably the one trigger anime that isnt for me. i am not into the furry stuff. kinda disappointed specially with how great yoh is.

hopefully they announce a second series today
Jul 5, 2019 9:26 PM
Jul 2017
First beastars and now this? Looks like Japan finally acknowledge furries in their anime lol. For real though I’m pretty excited for this.
Jul 5, 2019 9:40 PM
うまぴょい伝説

May 2017
Can't say no to Trigger originals, the visual looks cool too, and it's You, Imaishi's no.1 protégé.
Jul 5, 2019 10:00 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
I was waiting for this announcement to be made here, and it’s finally here!

Definitely going to check this out! Staff behind the show looks solid and compatible too, so hoping to see a dime!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 5, 2019 10:16 PM

Mar 2009
Yoshinari is great, but I really am not a fan of Nakashima's writing and it almost guarantees to me the female characters will be written badly lol.
Jul 5, 2019 10:19 PM

Apr 2017
Trigger is back with its upcoming anime. The poster looks good. I feel excited now.
Jul 5, 2019 10:26 PM

Feb 2011
This pretty much confirms that Trigger is creatively bankrupt
Jul 5, 2019 11:43 PM

Feb 2019
Key visual reminds me of Hotline Miami. I'm looking forward to this, it's Trigger, after all!
Jul 5, 2019 11:46 PM
Feb 2019
Looks interesting to be honest. I'm not as into furry stuff as an average furry fan would be (though I still love Twokinds), but I have been waiting for something like that. Anime and furries can easily work together, hope this one will be good.
Jul 5, 2019 11:53 PM

Jun 2014
Well, well, well, looks like Trigger is still creatively bankrupt. I do like that they're going for a cyberpunk aesthetic at least.
:3
Jul 6, 2019 12:39 AM

Sep 2013
I'll hold expectations, Trigger hasn't exactly been batting great.
Jul 6, 2019 1:08 AM

Aug 2008
Trigger has shit the bed so many times already, it's impossible to look forward to their new productions, let alone be excited. 8 years and nothing to show for itself. Former Gainax creator status can carry you only so far.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 6, 2019 1:32 AM
Dec 2010
>cyberpunk
yes

>furry
hell no
Jul 6, 2019 1:33 AM
Mar 2016
I don't get the entire ''furry'' backlash. Anthropomorphic animals have been existing in animated medium for a long ass time. Is Kung fu panda or Madagascar furry too now?.

Any ways this looks cool, the aesthetics i mean; i am a sucker for sci-fi/cyberpunk settings.
Jul 6, 2019 3:49 AM

Sep 2014
Nakashima on the script makes it quite exciting news - he did it for Kill la Kill and TTGL, but without Imaishi's directing I don't know if his works can be quite that great, probably not. But You is pretty good and learned from him, so who knows.

I definitely expect something at least decent. It's pretty sure to be better than Kiznaiver or the stupid cooperation with A1.
Jul 6, 2019 3:57 AM
Jul 2019
Looks interesting and the poster is visually pleasing. I don't really mind if the characters will be furry, I'm more interested with the story specially because it's going to be cyberpunk.
Jul 6, 2019 4:01 AM

Mar 2015
kinda walking joke how it's rumored than they steal fire force idea, then now steal beastars.

i hope it's stop as a joke.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jul 6, 2019 4:01 AM

Mar 2015
kinda walking joke how it's rumored than they steal fire force idea, then now steal beastars.

"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jul 6, 2019 5:10 AM

Sep 2013
Asaeed said:

Kill la kill is their only good show.

Little Witch Academia is pretty good okay
Shirobako is AOTY 2015. Deal with it.
Jul 6, 2019 5:45 AM

Jul 2015
Good good. Nice neon colors, gimme synthwave please (^:
Jul 6, 2019 6:07 AM
Playing Violet

Jun 2017
YAS, NEW TRIGGER ANIIIMEEEEE!!!!!XV
Jul 6, 2019 8:01 AM
Mar 2015
Lol,theres even animal pun brand advs ala Zootopia
Kuma said:

I don't thinks it specifically copying Beastars rather they want Zootopia audiences.
Zootopia is a big thing in Japan you know,far bigger than Beastars.
Jul 6, 2019 9:06 AM

Jan 2013
Lmao anthropomorphic animals isn't anything new in anime.
It's been around since the 60s and even further back in the early 1900s.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jul 6, 2019 9:08 AM

May 2015
Show isn't coming out for another year and all we have to go off of is one image, and people are already shitting on it lol. Sasuga MAL.

Jul 6, 2019 9:38 AM

Mar 2011
Hatsuyuki said:
This pretty much confirms that Trigger is creatively bankrupt

You are not alone man.I think the same, Trigger went shit after Kill la Kill,they screwed Ninja Slayer with their Inferno Cop style animation.Promare or this will be last nail in the coffin before they go bankrupt.
Jul 6, 2019 9:42 AM

Aug 2012
Is this gonna be a neon noir Anime?
Jul 6, 2019 10:17 AM
Sep 2017
The character models look a lot like zootopia, though I do dig the neon aesthetic. Excited for another Yoshinari work after Little Witch was so AMAZING. Trigger can have some super expressive animation so I’m really hopeful for this new production as the character models look perfect for that style of animation. Furry stuff aside, I’m HYPED.
Jul 6, 2019 10:37 AM

Oct 2018
You are not alone man.I think the same, Trigger went shit after Kill la Kill,they screwed Ninja Slayer with their Inferno Cop style animation.Promare or this will be last nail in the coffin before they go bankrupt.
Trigger won't go bankrupt lol.
Jul 6, 2019 11:02 AM

Apr 2015
The hell with people going as if Trigger was going bankrupt after a single misstep with Promare ?

Pretty glad they'll continue forward with their original shows, they've been really great in this department (Kill la Kill, Little Witch Academia, Kiznaiver,etc ...). (Darling in the Franxx is not one of them) Without mentionning the excellent underlook piece that is Gridman.

Also, the more profuse presence of antropomorphic animals shouldn't make people stray away from these shows, especially when you have an award winning and excellent manga such as Beastars coming soon animated by the same studio as Land of the Lustrious.
Jul 6, 2019 12:09 PM
Jun 2019
mar1217 said:
The hell with people going as if Trigger was going bankrupt after a single misstep with Promare ?

Pretty glad they'll continue forward with their original shows, they've been really great in this department (Kill la Kill, Little Witch Academia, Kiznaiver,etc ...). (Darling in the Franxx is not one of them) Without mentionning the excellent underlook piece that is Gridman.

Also, the more profuse presence of antropomorphic animals shouldn't make people stray away from these shows, especially when you have an award winning and excellent manga such as Beastars coming soon animated by the same studio as Land of the Lustrious.
wait misstep ? what's going on
manofhonor1
Jul 6, 2019 1:28 PM

Aug 2018
ganomed said:
Kill la Kill is bad and so was Gurren Lagann.
Little Witch is great.

Nice bait m8. There's a reason those two are so iconic and integrated in modern anime culture.
Jul 6, 2019 1:45 PM

Jun 2015
Vindstot said:
earning a cumulative 7.3 million yen (approximately US$6.74 million) as of June 30.
The exchange rate is incorrect. It should either be 730 million yen (6.74 million US$) or 7.3 million yen (67.400 US$).
Jul 6, 2019 2:57 PM

Oct 2015
ganomed said:
2Sleepy said:

Nice bait m8. There's a reason those two are so iconic and integrated in modern anime culture.
Of course I'm talking for myself as an anime enthusiast, if 12yo kids like these stultifying entertainment I won't judge them, we all went through this one day. ;)

holy fudge, you sound so pretentious.
those big words become pretty irrelevant when you can't speak proper english btw
also funny you should mention people being 12 with attack on titan in your top 10 lol norm
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
Jul 6, 2019 2:59 PM
Apr 2016
Interesting. Let's see how that turns out.
Jul 6, 2019 5:09 PM

Oct 2013
Anime cyberpunk furries edition ahaha
Imagine it's for the release of Cyberpunk 2077
TitadouJul 6, 2019 5:14 PM
Jul 6, 2019 7:12 PM

Sep 2014
ganomed said:
Sjo said:

those big words become pretty irrelevant when you can't speak proper english btw
also funny you should mention people being 12 with attack on titan in your top 10 lol norm

I didn't say that whatever is popular is shit, I'm not this kind of person.
Maybe you didn't see through it, but SnK is not really your generic anime full of fan service. In fact the author applies itself to make the exact opposite of everything you expect, it's quite audacious, not everyone can deal with the frustration.
While stuff like Guren Laggan or Code Geass for example (maybe you like this one too?) are just commercial products whose only purpose is to make lot of money by pleasing the largest possible audience, you'll understand that taking risks is not an option so they're just a collection of proven and bland anime clichés.
Some would argue that the purpose of every anime is to make money but on one hand we have the vision of an artist creating something new and unique that you might dislike and on the other a bunch of people industrially applying a well known recipe, that's pretty different.
When you'll grown a bit older you should try to rewatch your currents favorites to perhaps realize they have no soul.

What a stupid post, honestly. Glossing over the pathetic 'lol u are kid and have shit taste' tone and the previous passive agressive post, implying Imaishi's work are soulless or anything less than pure passion for the medium is being fucking blind. I would argue that SnK is way more of a 'appeal to the masses' thing with very little risks taken, and its directing lacks anything unique. That is a product. While you can instantly spot Imaishi's work because he, unlike the snk guy, actually has unique style, he's one of a kind. Araki does what? Just adaptations, and brings little from himself to these. He directed fucking guilty crown, lol.
Anyway, whatever, I'm not doing any more bickering over whose favourites are better, but this 'no soul' argument leads to nothing, because it can't even be properly backed up, and is such a vague accusation it's just stupid to use. Bring something concrete, or just go away with meaningless posts.
Jul 6, 2019 7:29 PM

Oct 2018
Nick-Knight said:
Furry in the FranXX. No thanks.
What does FranXX have to do with BNA?
Jul 6, 2019 7:31 PM
Jul 2018
zagzee said:
Nick-Knight said:
Furry in the FranXX. No thanks.

It is from the same studio.
Jul 6, 2019 7:44 PM

Sep 2014
Nick-Knight said:
zagzee said:

It's more of a A-1 anime, no?. AFAIK Trigger is only credited with animation production for episodes 2 to 14.
Either way, people involved are much more important than the studio, basically every studio has some garbage in their works. And the 2 guys mentioned in the news have pretty much only great stuff in their portfolios
Jul 6, 2019 7:44 PM

Oct 2018
Nick-Knight said:
zagzee said:

It's a co-production between Trigger and A-1. With Trigger having little or nothing to do with the plot.
Starting with DARLING in the FRANXX, Wakabayashi gave a quick postmortem on the project and Trigger's involvement. He continued to emphasize that Trigger was only part of the beginning planning, behind the core designs and the earlier half of the show with A-1 Pictures taking the larger heft of the responsibility. Wakabayashi added they received comments that the story was very “Trigger-like,” but said it was primarily from the director Atsushi Nishigori. “Everyone says it was Trigger's fault that it ended up in space, but that's not true!”
Jul 6, 2019 9:23 PM

Dec 2012
why wont these bitches give me a 2nd season of LWA

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Jul 6, 2019 11:56 PM

Jan 2018
Imaishi said:
ganomed said:

Maybe you didn't see through it, but SnK is not really your generic anime full of fan service. In fact the author applies itself to make the exact opposite of everything you expect, it's quite audacious, not everyone can deal with the frustration.
While stuff like Guren Laggan or Code Geass for example (maybe you like this one too?) are just commercial products whose only purpose is to make lot of money by pleasing the largest possible audience, you'll understand that taking risks is not an option so they're just a collection of proven and bland anime clichés.
Some would argue that the purpose of every anime is to make money but on one hand we have the vision of an artist creating something new and unique that you might dislike and on the other a bunch of people industrially applying a well known recipe, that's pretty different.
When you'll grown a bit older you should try to rewatch your currents favorites to perhaps realize they have no soul.

What a stupid post, honestly. Glossing over the pathetic 'lol u are kid and have shit taste' tone and the previous passive agressive post, implying Imaishi's work are soulless or anything less than pure passion for the medium is being fucking blind. I would argue that SnK is way more of a 'appeal to the masses' thing with very little risks taken, and its directing lacks anything unique. That is a product. While you can instantly spot Imaishi's work because he, unlike the snk guy, actually has unique style, he's one of a kind. Araki does what? Just adaptations, and brings little from himself to these. He directed fucking guilty crown, lol.
Anyway, whatever, I'm not doing any more bickering over whose favourites are better, but this 'no soul' argument leads to nothing, because it can't even be properly backed up, and is such a vague accusation it's just stupid to use. Bring something concrete, or just go away with meaningless posts.

Dude's obviously just trying to get a rise out of people. No one in their right mind gives TTGL a 1, unless—as you said—they're blind.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jul 7, 2019 12:28 AM

Aug 2018
ganomed said:
Sjo said:

You just proved his/her point by typing a wall of pretentious moaning that no one would dare bother to even read. Quite the hoity toity anime connoisseur you must be, huh?
Jul 7, 2019 1:53 AM
Jul 2018
Well this thread is... mega o o f to say the least.

To be quite frank we don't know how things will go for this series but the bold idea of "Trigger is creatively going bankrupt" uh... you do realize that these are taken at face value, correct?

And even if people were correct, it's still going to be at face value (at least as of writing this) since we ain't sure how this will be seen as. And with the creativity put into play... well, execution matters the most. I can get that the concept isn't for everyone especially for those that aren't into furries (I'm friends with some of them, but I'm not a furry myself), but I feel like people are just massively shooting for bullets.

Not trying to be mean here in the thread, but I feel rather awkward with the statements being made here.
Jul 7, 2019 2:42 AM

Oct 2015
I'm of the opinion Trigger was ALWAYS rubbish. The more they produce the more I've come to think Gurren Lagann was just a fortunate accident, and I don't even think its that good. Kiznaiver could be blamed on Mari Okada but I doubt it would fare much better if left completely to Imaishi and Otsuka since they have a habit of reusing overused tropes and killing of their best plots/characters for bigger explosions.
MoonStar9Jul 7, 2019 2:45 AM
Jul 7, 2019 5:50 AM

Feb 2019
I'm not saying that trigger right now is copying plots of popular manga or with a lot of reputation with announced adaptation a long time ago and now decide to make an anime with the same topic, but considering how condescending their fans, they believe: "trigger is the most original thing that exists, like Gainax and invented whole genres", I still see people who believe that Gainax invented the mecha with evangelion (because it is the only mecha they know) and because few people consult sources to confirm the truth.
I think that in a certain way it is a psychological strategy so that people continue believing that they are the first in everything.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Apr 25

9 by Playcool »»
1 hour ago

» 'Arknights: Rise From Ember' TV Anime Announced

DatRandomDude - 4 hours ago

4 by Yona_Runcandel »»
2 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

7 by EcchiGodMamster »»
4 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

17 by RobertBobert »»
4 hours ago

» 'Overlord: Sei Oukoku-hen' Movie Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer, Fall 2024 Premiere

Doshigatai - Mar 22

5 by Entity72 »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.