Forum Settings
Forums

How has your anime taste evolved? If not, what are your tastes currently like?

New
Jun 26, 2019 1:53 PM

Feb 2019
In the beginning, I was into shows like Fairy Tail and High School DxD for two obvious reasons...

However, as time went on I developed actual taste and realized that the plot development in those two shows was mediocre at best. How I primarily favor Romance/ Drama / Comedy. If the plot sounds interesting I will also watch Action.
Jun 26, 2019 1:56 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Futz_ said:
In the beginning, I was into shows like Fairy Tail and High School DxD for two obvious reasons...

However, as time went on I developed actual taste

To me, it just sounds like you stepped backwards tbh

Is this what de-evolution is like

Jun 26, 2019 2:03 PM

Oct 2010
I was into battle shonen like dragon ball and beyblade, then, into plot heavy stuff like Death Note, Kiddy Grade, FMA etc, then ecchi, then edgy romance. i consider myself an all rounder. Today I watch fairy Tail, Yawara, Samurai Girls, Boogiepop, Nagi no Asukara
Jun 26, 2019 2:13 PM

May 2014
I think it's pretty much the same. I've always been into all kinds of genres with horror being my favourite and i still love a good shonen.
Jun 26, 2019 2:20 PM

Jul 2013
My taste hasn't evolved as much as I thought it did, tbh. The first animes I watched were battle shounen and action series, and, although nowadays I'm a bit more open to watching other kind of anime, I'm still a sucker for those things.

To put an example, D. Gray Man was one of the first battle shounens (outside of the Big Three and Dragon Ball) that I watched, as well as one of the first anime series that I watched when I started to consume Japanese animation as a full-time hobby. I loved the series when I first watched (back in 2013, I think), but after that, I left it and went to the manga (and later Hallow) and I never rewatched it outside of some scenes and episodes. Thing is, that, these months I had the urge to rewatch some old series I liked, and I decided to rewatch DGM (the old anime and Hallow). I think I ended appreciating the series even more after watching it now than the first time that I finished it (the old anime at least, Hallow is another different story...).
Sometimes I start to think about this matter, and I realize I haven't changed as much than when I was a beginner. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Jun 26, 2019 2:22 PM

Aug 2009
I could argue that my taste in anime has devolved since I started watching ecchi in 2011, but then I notice the hentai that I've watched before 2011, so...

Jun 26, 2019 2:32 PM
Jul 2018
I am watching a bit of everything, always did.
Mystery is maybe my favorite genre nowadays.

I stopped watching romantic comedy years ago - I'd say that's the only thing ( along with CGDCT that I never liked ) that I cannot enjoy anymore.
Jun 26, 2019 3:35 PM

Sep 2018
I was originally attracted to Slice of Life/Comedy, but now I'm more into the Action/Sci-fi kind of stuff. Of course, if comedy is thrown into that mix, then that makes it all the better
"Literary experts revealed that reviews on sites like MyAnimeList kill more than 200 brain cells per second."

- Joey, "The Anime Man"
Jun 26, 2019 3:41 PM

Jul 2017
I think overall, my taste hasn't changed too much. Obviously there's gonna be a difference between now and the beginning simply because of how much anime experience there is, but I still find myself enjoying sappy romances

Manaban said:
Futz_ said:

However, as time went on I developed actual taste

To me, it just sounds like you stepped backwards tbh

Is this what de-evolution is like

No, de-evolution would be something more like going from enjoying preferring shows like Miru Tights, to preferring shows like Monster
Jun 26, 2019 3:51 PM
Jul 2018
Surprisingly, taste stayed more or less the same. Also I did not bother with anime from 1995 to 2004,so no Dbz, no later seasons of sm, no pokemon, no yugioh, no digimon, no Kenshin, no gundam wing etc
That isolation was for the better in developing my own taste.

Jun 26, 2019 3:51 PM

Jul 2011
When I made this account I used to be into mainstream anime like pretty much a lot of people. I had only watched anime on TV back then and watching anime online was new to me..but now hmm..I actually can't describe my taste. I prefer old-school anime more than ever and more in depth anime

Jun 26, 2019 3:54 PM

May 2009
In the beginning, I didn't know what my taste was like.

Nowadays I have a better idea of what I like. I like fantasy and sci-fi settings, and stories that can feel happy and/or sad but should be taken seriously (rather than comedic/parody ones), relatively "generic" character art, mixed-gender casts, slow-burn setups, and so on.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 26, 2019 3:56 PM

Oct 2013
Soooo...if you like Fairy Tail and Highschool DxD you have no taste. Noted.

Personally, I can watch anything from Darker Than Black to Keijo. As long as it fits into one of my favorite genre, action, sci-fi, fantasy, adventure or supernatural, I'll give it a try.
Jun 26, 2019 4:05 PM

May 2015
Maybe its not exactly 'taste' but when I first got into anime I used to care more about the popularity of a show than the genre it was. These days I couldn't care less if a show is popular or not, if its a genre I really dislike then I'm not gonna watch it just because everyone else is.

♡ artist
サコ
Jun 26, 2019 4:16 PM

Jul 2017
i was a huge shounen fan back in 2010s
since i got introduced to lain and mononoke i was obsessed with psychological/thriller anime
now my taste has changed a lot over these years and i don't mind watching any genres of anime if i think they can intrigue me
Jun 26, 2019 4:17 PM

Nov 2017
In the beginning, i only like action anime such hxh, fmab, sao, etc

Nowaday, i watch every genre that i think it is good. I don't think my taste has evolved whatsoever.
Jun 26, 2019 4:18 PM
Jul 2018
Setsuei said:
Soooo...if you like Fairy Tail and Highschool DxD you have no taste. Noted.

Only if you watch DxD for the ED. What an absolute banger.

On a more serious note... yes, my taste changed.
I went from stuff like Saint Seiya and Sailor Moon to mostly Slice of Life. The older I got, the more I started appreciating relaxing shows. Flashy fights don't really excite me much anymore.
Jun 26, 2019 4:42 PM

Apr 2018
I went from small brain ecchi (High school DXD) to big brain ecchi (Bakemonogatari)

That's it, nothing else really. I still love me battle shounens like Naruto (Except the new ones, they're wack)
Jun 26, 2019 4:53 PM

May 2018
Digimon is still one of my favorite anime of all time after all these years. Taste change but not much.
Jun 26, 2019 5:10 PM
Jul 2018
I dont think it can evolve, I just like good stories or flashy little heart string tugs, I have watched a couple psychological thriller types since last fall, and that was new for me. I don't feel modified though. I still seek the same base emotional responses from my entertainment, I am just a bit more open to suggestions now.
Jun 26, 2019 5:15 PM
Mar 2016
My taste hasn't changed. I still like simple, fun anime
Jun 26, 2019 5:16 PM

Oct 2008
I watched primarily shounen and hentai, now and since 2011 I look for Drama, Psychological, military, mistery. Finally in 2016 my taste progressed further and reached 17+ violence and profanity. That is my main interest.
Jun 26, 2019 5:38 PM

Jul 2017
i used to like trash shows with a generic kirito like main character, add to that some good old shounen,harem and ecchi and thats basicly my taste.

now, shows like sao,death march, smartphone isekai,date a live just bore me to death with how mediocore and generic they are,
as for now, basicly everything that is good, as for genres it'll be something like that (in order of what i tend to watch the most cuz i don't think any genre is better than the others):
action>romance>seinen>drama>shounen>horror>slice of life>isekai>psychological>sports>mecha>historical.

i would also enjoy guilty pleasure and trash shows that got something interesting going on (highschool dxd for example, so bad yet so good)
Jun 26, 2019 5:46 PM
Jan 2019
Before i watched action stuff

But now watching more rom's & slice of life
Jun 26, 2019 5:48 PM

Dec 2016
It hasn't changed that much tbh. It's more like I just learned how to enjoy shows with ecchi harem and Sols.
Jun 26, 2019 7:40 PM

May 2018
Well, in a year and a half, my taste has changed drastically. I have watched many mainstream shows such as sao, tg and snk. Then I fell in love with ecchi-harems for obvious reasons, with a short breaks for comedies, slice of life and dramas. After 2-3 months, I started to watch pseudo-intelligent series such as code geass, because I wanted to be appreciated for having a "good taste" lmao. Later on, I became a typical shonentard (irony ofc) and I couldn't imagine a good show without action and fighting. My penultimate epoch in the evolution of my taste was the period of watching psychological and mystery series. Instead of loving op mc's with a harem of hot, 100yo legal lolis, I liked intelligent characters instead. Nowadays I've started to appreciate older shows because I've put the quality of the plot and characters above the reluctance to older graphics I guess. I also loved the "tough" drama series and the dementia genre itself after seeing evangelion and sel and I'll definitely watch more of them in the future.

Between my last two periods I watched A TON of isekais for about 2 weeks, because I loved the idea of moving to another world in a fantasy climate, unfortunately I had to give up, because none of the titles I was interested in turned out to be a good productions imo (except maybe a grimgar, which was a bit boring).

Besides that, I've been watching fantasy, magic, adventure and sci-fi for as long as I can remember and they are still my favourite and most enjoyable genres. They are my all-rounders I'd say, mostly when I've got no idea what to watch next, or I'm simply bored.
reformed
Jun 26, 2019 7:52 PM

Aug 2017
I still have to understand how my taste changed from cute magical anime girls fightin for their lifes(madoka magica) to big muscled flamboyant effeminate bizzarre men doing some strange shit (JoJo)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 26, 2019 7:57 PM

Sep 2009
My taste hasn't changed for the last 10 years of anime watching. I still watch and love action and comedy mostly, only now I have higher standards. That's it. But I also have more appreciation when everything's done right.
Jun 26, 2019 8:07 PM
Jul 2018
My taste is the same, mainly watch action and slice of life
Jun 26, 2019 8:17 PM

Nov 2013
I started with mostly mainstream action shows and shounen, but now I'll give anything a try if it seems entertaining. I can enjoy pretty much every genre except for Shounen-Ai.
Jun 26, 2019 8:44 PM

Apr 2019
My taste pretty much stayed the same since 2009, the difference is I just got more open to other genre's.

Before, I'd watch Anything with Romance in it and won't consider watching anything without it.
Now I watch most genre's, but still with Romance as the preferred one.

Jun 27, 2019 12:18 AM
Completionist

Nov 2018
I’ll watch anything, no matter the genre, or score, but in the beginning, I was more into romance, shoujo ai, shounen and harem than anything else, but now I’m more into darker/serious toned series, such as Psycho-Pass, Ghost in the Shell, Texhnolyze, etc., more experimental/artsy series, seinen, psychological, “dementia”, science fiction, and straight up slice of life/iyashikei.
Jun 27, 2019 2:12 AM

May 2018
Well there are different periods in my anime watching experience.

When I was kid there weren't many anime titles available.

Somewhere around the end of high school and the beginning of the university I got more access and watched more ambitious stuff which can pass for high art.

Nowadays my taste degraded to just entertainment and I am watching anime mainly to unwind.

I was always interested in action, adventure, mystery, comedy and sci-fi.
I tend to avoid drama and overly emotional stuff. Like I would make an expectation only for quality drama like Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, Hachimitsu to Clover or Fate/Zero.
alshuJun 27, 2019 2:18 AM
Jun 27, 2019 2:39 AM

Feb 2014
When I first started watching anime, I avoided high school anime like the plague. I was also not interested in the usual "otaku pandering" anime. I mostly stuck to sci-fi, action, an occasional mecha, slice of life drama like Usagi Drop, Nana, anime movies, and artsy-fartsy off beat stuff like Lain, Ergo Proxy, Paranoia Agent, Texhnolyze etc. Then I watched Bakemonogatari. That eased me into the genre. Stumbled onto Sakura Trick on a streaming site when it was airing. Kind of liked it (mostly because of the yuri). Checked out some more high school anime like K-On, Azumanga Daioh, Angel Beats, Index/Railgun. And these days, I watch pretty much anything, even ecchi. Except shounen. Can't get into the vast majority of them.
Jun 27, 2019 2:47 AM

Jun 2017
Not changed much but at least I know I wasn't a CGDCT fan at first
Jun 27, 2019 2:56 AM

Jan 2016
it's widening, i only liked actions at first, now i liked slice of life (cgdct) and anything except gore and horror or similar to that.
basically, my taste went from Naruto to Steins;Gate.
Jun 30, 2019 7:07 AM

Apr 2017
8 years ago, I used to overload myself with Fantasy, Supernatural and Action series and it got me hyped. And I despised Slice of Life series.

I enjoyed most of them until last year... I cannot keep up with any fantasy genre.
I just simply go with Slice of Life or simple series. lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 30, 2019 7:12 AM
Jul 2018
I watch anything but i started with Bosuo Renkin that i liked a lot and with High School DxD, and then i wanted something different now im just watching old animes, that i really like.

Jun 30, 2019 7:23 AM
May 2015
From action/comedy, I moved into drama/romance/war. I expended my tastes, I guess, but I still prefer action/comedy.
Jul 1, 2019 7:44 AM
Jul 2019
I like to think my tastes have chnged in the last few years. I was into Fairy Tail and similar things which i don't think is uncommon!

I have gotten into Ishizuka Shinichi's blue giant recently and I am so happy because he is coming to London now!
Jul 1, 2019 8:51 AM

Jul 2014
Was a big shonen only fan, like back then whenever I see any moe, SoL or pure ecchi shiz I tend to avert from it.
Slowly tho my taste widened up, now SoL, comedy and sadly moe are a big part of my anime list..
Jul 1, 2019 8:44 PM

Jul 2014
I think when I started watching less mainstream Anime I was more into Harems & Slice of Life.

But now, I don't think I really have any particular taste to be honest. If I enjoy it, I consider it to be good. The characters, setting & especially music play a big part for me.
Jul 2, 2019 2:28 AM

Aug 2018
When I first started watching anime, it had to have blood, gore, or some kind of violence in it. The reason why was because that's how anime was initially advertised to me.

It went from wanting hyper-violence to it just needs to have a strong plot. No slice of life.

Now it just simply needs to have a compelling cast of characters, and I'll be satisfied with what I watched.
Jul 2, 2019 6:20 AM
Isekai Trash

Mar 2016
I wouldn’t say my anime taste has evolved it’s more so cyclical I guess, where based on my emotional state I’ll want to watch specific things like maybe I need a pick me up so I’ll watch some action or romance/ecchi, something easy to get down, and at times when I’m just feeling bored I’ll watch some slice of life. Though I will say my willingness to watch new anime and different genres has evolved from when I first started and would constantly just pass on anime because I assumed I wouldn’t like it and now I get surprised every so often because I try out a lot more than I would’ve in the beginning.
Jul 2, 2019 6:26 AM

Feb 2017
I am pretty sure my first dozen anime were all border line hentai tbh. Now I prefer the mystery/psychological or music/sports depending on the day I guess. A good action anime with a lot of blood are also good.

Jul 2, 2019 6:40 AM

Oct 2017
12 or so years ago: Death Note is pretty cool but it's the exception. Animes are is weird and foreign.

2 years ago: I keep hearing about Attack on Titan. Whatever, I'll check it out I guess. Ok, maybe there is something to this animoo stuff.

A little later: Talking to animay people suggests I should watch this show called Clannad. I'm skeptical but whatever... First season was alright I guess... OMG ANIME IS MY LIFE NOW.

At some point between then and now, it's all a big blur to be honest: Right I think I'm ready for the most anime anime to ever anime. I going to watch the Monogatari series... Why is Kanbaru just lying naked on a pile of books..? Wait what's going on down there..? Huh!? 2D > 3D!?

Since then my taste has become a little more defined. I thought I loved all anime but couldn't really get in to battle shounen like Naruto / MHA etc. I thought I would be a massive moe/CGDCT fan but most of those shows end up getting a 6 or 7 from me, even though I adore the asthetic. I love all anime and have no judgmental or nagative attitudes towards otaku culture at all, but as for what my favourite types of shows are? Hard to say but I wish there was more stuff like Shinsekai Yori and Ergo Proxy. Also it's a shame that the Monogatari seires is kind of a one-off in terms of a heavily sexual-themed show which takes itself seriously with complex characters and deep themes. I love how eager anime is to be sexy but it's played for laughs too often.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jul 2, 2019 9:38 AM

Feb 2019
Started off watching battle shounen anime like Hunter x Hunter, Bleach, and FMA:B, with a few other genres mixed in. Now, I am drawn in by slice of life type anime, though I still enjoy shounen a lot. I've also gotten way more open to watching ecchi and fanservice anime cause watching trashy anime is pretty entertaining.
Jul 2, 2019 7:13 PM

Jan 2016
Yes. I used to like really “artsy” (up to interpretation/Yuasa Masaaki-esque) anime shows & now I look for series with more substantive stories.
▾ Check Out My Original Series ▾

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
Jul 2, 2019 10:15 PM

Nov 2009
oooohhhh I have shit taste, just being honest...Its all over the place

I sometimes go for really weird anime. At least in my opinion.

Well I guess in the beginning, I would watch whatever was on Toonami. (Sailor Moon, DBZ, Gundam Wing and Tenchi Muyo). After I started getting even more into anime, I started watching ones like Hamutaro and Pokemon (we didnt have a computer till I was like 12-15 years old). My sister discovered manga at the library, so I got into shounen as well and read Rurouni Kenshin (still one of my faves despite the artist), even Love Hina (of all things to read, we even watched the anime and movies, LOL) . I REALLY started branching out once I turned 19 (I got my own computer after graduation). In my 20's I got into yaoi and ecchi. I wanted to watch "romance" with more "action". I eventually got tired of it tho, so I dont like them anymore.
毎日, 日本語を勉強する
Jul 2, 2019 10:19 PM

Feb 2016
Futz_ said:

However, as time went on I developed actual taste and realized that the plot development in those two shows was mediocre at best. How I primarily favor Romance/ Drama / Comedy. If the plot sounds interesting I will also watch Action.
I was the same. Fairy Tail and DxD were my two favorites. They were also two of the very first animes I watched when I joined MAL. Still love ecchi, but I love Rom/Com/SoL/Drama. I watch about anything though minus BL sorry BL lovers.
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you track anime milestons?

zombie_pegasus - 6 hours ago

10 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
39 seconds ago

» Let's Hope the Whole "Girls Golfing" Is A New Thing That Keeps Going...

simonitro - 6 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
2 minutes ago

» Tell me why older anime is better that newer anime. ( 1 2 )

fluffycow17 - Mar 24, 2021

63 by ToG25thBaam »»
2 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

63 by BroDa2545 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - Yesterday

21 by ToG25thBaam »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.