Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 9, 2019 5:21 PM

May 2013
6 years. I was a kid going through the early stages of puberty when season 1 aired and I would watch this on Sunday mornings. 6 years I have waited for the basement revelation. Fast forward 6 years - I'm a fully grown adult.

After 56 episodes we FINALLY figure out what's in the basement. Only took 1/3rd of my life to figure out lmao. In all seriousness this was good but expected. I think everyone already had a feeling that human life (possibly completely different societies and civilizations?) existed outside the walls. Looking forward to the next ep!
*insert cringey anime reference here*
Jun 9, 2019 5:23 PM

Nov 2015
Gonna be the longest week on my life , fml
Jun 9, 2019 5:23 PM
Jul 2018
Sneako said:
After 6 years. I was a kid just getting puberty when season 1 started. Now I'm a fully grown adult. After 56 episodes we FINALLY figure out what's in the basement. Only took 1/3rd of my life to figure out lmao. In all seriousness this was good but expected. I think everyone already had a feeling that human life (possibly completely different societies and civilizations?) existed outside the walls. Looking forward to the next ep!
Nah, most people were considering there'd be a cure or some sort of apocalyptic society. No one thought that humanity would be doing JUST FINE outside the walls and living the good life.
Jun 9, 2019 5:32 PM
May 2016

Sasuga, Isayama.
Jun 9, 2019 5:41 PM
Apr 2013
I hope everyone had chills with the reveal!

They paced the episode nice and slow and what a build up. I hope to see a reactions video out there for this episode!
Jun 9, 2019 5:44 PM
Jul 2018
Any idea when the official subs come out?
Jun 9, 2019 5:51 PM

Oct 2013
ABDoesThings said:
Any idea when the official subs come out?

They should be out 10 minutes ago.
Jun 9, 2019 5:53 PM

Apr 2019
I think the reactions to next ep will be a lot crazier.
You son of a .. turtle

Jun 9, 2019 6:09 PM
Apr 2018
So, the asshole who spoiled this reveal to me on Facebook was right.

And Eren's father was Jew-ish something? Maybe the three walls are like a extreme concentration camp. Can't wait for next week's episode.
Jun 9, 2019 6:17 PM

Sep 2018
Anime only person here. I wasn not spoiled at all and this twist really hit me. Loved it.
Jun 9, 2019 6:18 PM
Jul 2018
SaiDrew said:

And Eren's father was Jew-ish something? Maybe the three walls are like a extreme concentration camp. Can't wait for next week's episode.
Nah that's quite fucked up lol. It's not a concentration camp that's for certain otherwise you'd be seeing them working like slaves.
Jun 9, 2019 6:31 PM
Apr 2018
ABDoesThings said:
SaiDrew said:

Nah that's quite fucked up lol. It's not a concentration camp that's for certain otherwise you'd be seeing them working like slaves.
Haha, yeah, that makes sense. It's just that when Grisha's flashback was shown, with the guardian next to the wall, that was the only thing that came to my mind; with the three walls being a sort of parallel to that city.
Jun 9, 2019 6:31 PM
Apr 2008
Definitely prefer the pacing here over the manga, and the extra content. There's for sure going to be a ton of sentimental moments walking to your home after that trauma, and that wasn't touched upon in manga.

Strap yourselves in, anime-onlies. You are witnessing the moment the story raises the bar.
Jun 9, 2019 6:32 PM
Jul 2018
SaiDrew said:
ABDoesThings said:
Haha, yeah, that makes sense. It's just that when Grisha's flashback was shown, with the guardian next to the wall, that was the only thing that came to my mind; with the three walls being a sort of parallel to that city.
Them Nazis be like "annihilate the Jews"
Jun 9, 2019 6:35 PM

Sep 2017
This episode felt pretty slow paced compared to normal tbh, but that end credits scene made up for it. Man it opens up so many possibilities like holy crap. I got a bunch of theories starting to brew, but I'm pretty sure the next episode will be entirely following Grisha in his home town so I might as well hold off.
Jun 9, 2019 6:40 PM

Oct 2013
Episode 7 didn't have astonishingly animated action scenes, but it was so much entertaining. Emotions and atmosphere were just real. You could feel the drama of Eren and Mikasa returning to their old home, years after titans demolished it; then you could perfectly feel the tension when they were in that basement at last.
While I'm not a huge fan of flashbacks because many of them are made badly or turn into "more complicated recap episode", this episode shows how a good anime episode with a lot of flashbacks should look and feel like.

Armin is having a hard time while trying to deal with that wicked situation of him becoming a titan who ate Bertholdt instead of the one who sacrificed himself in order to defeat Bertholdt.

Levi is such a charismatic person. I think he should be a leader after Erwin's death, though I agree with what he said: a hole created after Erwin's death cannot be easily fixed, ergo it will be hard to replace that caliber's person as Erwin with somebody else. Oh well, first in line to succeed Erwin is Hanji who became a leader automatically. Levi needs to wait, it seems, lol.

Going back to Levi, I loved him in this episode. xD I mean, this episode was serious and had perfect atmosphere, but his funny one-liners gave everything even more colours and added some loose elements to seriousness (it was necessary, the Basement's reveal is here at last!) of this episode.

About the reveal itself, it was good, but not something big for me. Like, we (I'm talking about anime-only viewers) don't know who titans are exactly (experiments? another specie?). Huge plus for story of "Shingeki no Kyojin" for confirming that the humanity did not fall and there are more people outside the walls who also have some high-tech in their hands. It makes the entire universe more real, because implying that whole humanity was almost erased because titans cornered them sounded maybe fun, buy after a while of thinking it started sounding quite ridicilous.

Good there were some informations anyway. I had in mind a scenario in which Eren's dad left... nothing. Just nothing, or maybe only a letter saying some words to him and briefly explaining their world's situation, but nothing more. It turned out to be different and I'm glad it went like this.

Another 10/10 episode. My jaw maybe did not land on the ground, but this episode was phenomenal. While some of previous questions were answered, even more questions are to be asked after this episode. Also, I loved similarities between Eren & Mikasa and Grisha & his friend. It was not only about concept, because we could see a lot of graphical similarities as well, just as @Modernoir showed in his post before.

I'm interested in episode oribiting around Grisha's life as a young boy. By the way, did he live in something like "ghetto of poverty"?
Jun 9, 2019 6:49 PM

Aug 2011
I got teary eyed just watching this episode. I wasn't sure how they would handle this episode since they would have to extend one chapter but WIT more than delivered. The director has done an incredible job with the adaptation. I can't even get mad over the content they cut for season 3 part 1.

Too many feels. Its been so long but the anime is finally here.
This episode is the calm before the storm, and what a storm it'll be.
Jun 9, 2019 6:55 PM

Apr 2019
@Adnash93 "By the way, did he live in something like "ghetto of poverty"?"
just wait till next week ;O as you said you can already guess its gonna revolve around him.

you guys still need to avoid spoilers for 3 weeks, don't think you are save ;O
You son of a .. turtle

Jun 9, 2019 7:02 PM

Oct 2015
Great episode overall, adaptation pretty much went the way I thought it would go. Only problem were the faces which people pointed out, but it's not too big since they will probably be fixed in the blu-ray version.

The tonal shift in the post-credits scene hit a lot harder than the manga. The manga essentially had the same art-style, which was the same in the episode, except music, colouring and lighting made the impact the most.
Jun 9, 2019 7:13 PM

Sep 2017
god damn here we go again. i love the pace, fillers, and new ost in the post credits was refreshing to hear. faye and grisha in their childhood is so adorable, i wonder who is the voice actors for them? cant wait for next ep!

Jun 9, 2019 7:16 PM
Pen

Mar 2018
Time to see what the world is like outside the walls in a steampunk world.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jun 9, 2019 7:18 PM

Oct 2015
Can't wait for the rest of the journal!

Armin is feeling the burden, poor guy.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jun 9, 2019 7:25 PM
Jun 2017
(NO SPOILERS PLEASE, IM AN ANIME ONLY)

Finally were here, the BASEMENT!!!! And the memories of eren and mikasa are flashing back while going to erens home...

and now the 1st part of the truth...

hange and the rest dont know what theyre holding with.. as they are saying its not a DRAWING since its so detailed... and a note at BACK!!!

ITS A PHOTOGRAPH (that means that kind of thing is not existing within the wall)...

and this means ONE THING--- THERE ARE PEOPLE OUTSIDE OF THE WALLS!!!

ohh and the scene post ED...

im so excited more to know the truth on that book... yeah!!1
Jun 9, 2019 7:28 PM

Aug 2018
When I started watching AOT, I thought we would know what lies in the basement at the end of the first season. Then I realized she should get it during the second season. Until I figured out it wouldn't be covered by the season 3 part 1. But on this month of June 2019, no more joking around : they finally entered this hella coveted basement !

It actually brought a capital information : there is a civilization outside the wall (at least a population). The after credits scene felt so special, I'm glad next episode will continue on this set.

Though, I really got tiny chills when watching the ED, all these shots showing S1 moments actually made me think "it was such a longtime ago" (so many different fates for characters who were at first recruits : Annie now being like Disney's "Sleeping Beauty", Bertolt finished eaten, Reiner being a traitor, Krista became Historia & then a Queen, ... etc).
Jun 9, 2019 7:35 PM

Oct 2015
Truly one of the greatest shows of the past decade. I really hope they do a complete adaptation in the near future and in good hands at that. Was the wall at the post credit scene the berlin wall? Feels like it is
Jun 9, 2019 7:44 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode as always.

I loved the sequence with Eren and Mikasa walking towards the house and reminiscing about all their times in the house.

I do recall that at some point in the series it was mentioned that humanity exists outside the walls but what I didn't expect was to see how advanced humanity outside actually is. This is actually what doesn't make sense to me at this point, if humanity outside the wall is so advanced why would they let this small portion of humanity inside the walls suffer the way they do? There are only two reasons I can come up with for now.

First, humanity outside the walls was met with some sort of post apocalyptic event wiping or converting a lot of the people into titans with technology regressing because knowledge was lost, however this doesn't seem to match up with the whole royal family brainwashing and founding titan stuff which I thought existed from the beginning of the world. The only way to explain that would be if said post apocalyptic event somehow triggered that but given that Grisha was in the post credit sequence, it seems like this flashback isn't actually from too long ago.

Second, the whole humanity inside the walls thing is just some elaborate experiment for what purpose I do not know but it matches up with what we've heard from the titan shifters about humanity inside the walls needing to die. However, I can't really figure out a plausible reason as to why an experiment like this would be necessary.

Excited to see what the real truth is, hopefully it's nothing I've thought of. Next week should be fantastic.

Soundtrack was really on point this episode.
Jun 9, 2019 7:54 PM
May 2019
EGOIST said:
Truly one of the greatest shows of the past decade. I really hope they do a complete adaptation in the near future and in good hands at that. Was the wall at the post credit scene the berlin wall? Feels like it is

Complete adaptaion of Manga you mean? If so, then it's not possible since manga hasn't finisihed yet at the level of complete "revelation". The revelation will not only told via backstory, but also throughout the story. What makes AoT even more amazing is when you think they finisihed tell you all the revelation, there's more waiting you. By the way, the story is original, you will so hard to predict it.
KaizenzenJun 9, 2019 7:57 PM
Jun 9, 2019 7:55 PM

Dec 2015
The reveal is finally here my dudes, after so many years. Good episode.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jun 9, 2019 7:57 PM
Jul 2018
God, I can't believe this is finally being animated. These three seasons all together is going to be such an amazing package of story telling. This is some godly shit.
Jun 9, 2019 8:01 PM

Jan 2019
This is where I was upto in the manga I think, or maybe bits of next episode. Will be fun being anime only again.
Jun 9, 2019 8:01 PM
Jul 2018
Im liking the way they're handling the tonal shift of the series. Oh my god. Im so excited for the future of this anime.
Jun 9, 2019 8:05 PM

Mar 2016
Didn't think this episode would just be one chapter with some anime original scenes. Well, they added some scenes from the next chapter after the end credits.

Eren hugged Armin the same way Mikasa had hugged Eren in season 1.

They changed the appearance of the lock in the basement quite a bit. lol.

I think the basement scene was more tense in the manga because of the use of short dialogues and camera angles that made almost every panel look like it would be the last one. Maybe the anime was equally good, but I just didn't realise it because I already knew the story. (Although, this never happened with the previous seasons.)
Jun 9, 2019 8:08 PM
Mar 2017
oohhh. I'm so looking forward for the next 3 episodes. I believe this upcoming episodes will surely grow this anime into way more and more beyond my expectation. From what I had gathered here for the past six years, I had my hopes and several insights of how this anime will somehow goes. But this episode, like everyone also says, the Tonal Shift will gonna blow us on next eps, especially I, one who don't often read the manga. Much love for this anime! MASTERPIECE!!
Jun 9, 2019 8:10 PM

Jan 2011
dayum feels great to not have been spoiled after all these years ,so shit they really are going this way huh i never really picked up on all the foreshadowing but the last season teaser raised some serious what the hell is going on questioning like is there some kind of parallel world shit happening when i saw that Napoleon uniform.

i have no idea what's in store but it looks like shit is gonna change a lot now
Jun 9, 2019 8:11 PM

Mar 2019
About time they make it to the basement xD took long enough lol. Very well done episode though, music suited the scenes at the end and the after credit scene has my really excited for where the show might lead next
Jun 9, 2019 8:18 PM
Mar 2016
seeing the blimp made me so happy

I've been waiting for that for 2 years

and that line before the ED "humanity has not yet perished" made me pretty fulfilled.

All around great episodes this season
Jun 9, 2019 8:24 PM
Mar 2015
Armin is a whiner Now we have endure the results of the Elidia/Marley war instead of just worrying about the Titans outside the walls without knowing who they were or where they came from The last war gets to be fought all over again Hooray for progress
Jun 9, 2019 8:28 PM

Apr 2013
Oh wow. I thought something was off when the beast titan started making references to baseball and one hit KO's. I didn't think about it too much but holy moly.. Now I'm wondering how modern the world really is. So is it one hit KO's in video games he was referencing? or is it boxing? Oh man I can't wait.
Jun 9, 2019 8:38 PM
Sep 2017
Finnaly the prologue is over
Jun 9, 2019 8:42 PM
Feb 2019
NNNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII??????
Jun 9, 2019 8:42 PM

Jun 2015
its about time the books get revealed, i've been waiting. i'm suspecting the next three episodes will be focused on each individual book.
Jun 9, 2019 8:56 PM

Jan 2013
Can't believe that after so many years of waiting and so many deaths...it's finally here! the BASEMENT!!!
They didn't reveal much yet but those books probably will tell us Grisha's story and how all of this happened!

I was kinda surprised when the mom told Grisha to put the band on his arm...it kinda reminds me a lot of WW2, damn. I hope it's just a coincidence.

Can't wait for the next episode!
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jun 9, 2019 9:00 PM

Apr 2019
haoody said:
Nim0174 said:
I think the reactions to next ep will be a lot crazier.

the ymir backstory aired in the second season

i didn't say ymir
i said

different characters buddy

you read the manga
i am very confused why did you misunderstand me?

You son of a .. turtle

Jun 9, 2019 9:15 PM

Sep 2014
Honestly, this reveal is as underwhelming as it gets to me. The story takes ages to get to this point and makes a point of being super mysterious about it. Even the act of opening the book was turned into something mysterious and tense. But instead of a crazy, groundbreaking revelation... all this did was confirm the already-confirmed and obvious point that those in power had been lying and keeping secrets.

And here I was thinking it was going to be something along the lines of "at first there were only titans, but somebody found a way to turn them into humans and erase their memory to control them from within the walls" or something. Instead, my reaction was "so what?".

People were saying the series would get more complex with the reveal... well, I hope the series reaaaaaaaaaally elaborates on this, because so far things don't look much different at all.
Jun 9, 2019 9:18 PM
Oct 2017
Inside the walls is like living in the Brazilian Amazon and outside the walls is like living in Switzerland or some developed country xd

The truth is that I feel fortunate to have known the world of anime and to have been able to see such a masterpiece as SnK.
This is super addictive, each chapter leaves you wanting to see more, the hype this anime transmits is incredible.
On the other hand, I know that the studio will no longer be the same for the next season, but I hope that the studio that resumes the work of animating SnK will be as serious as Estudio Wit and don't swill like J.C. Staff did with so many other series.

Jun 9, 2019 9:19 PM
Apr 2017
They're really taking their bloody time with the pacing of these episodes, aren't they?
Jun 9, 2019 9:22 PM

Oct 2012
Looking forward to next episode although I feel the impact, whatever it is, would be much much greater if so many didn't say: the anime onlies will ...
Jun 9, 2019 9:29 PM

Feb 2008
Every episode that goes by, I end more empty inside. There's something about seeing Carla alive that makes me sad just by looking at her silhouette.

Excellent episode, first time I read the OP lyrics, and as always, Linked Horizon getting exactly to the point. It will be a long week to get the truth animated... let's see how many people hate the future direction of the series.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Jun 9, 2019 9:32 PM

Sep 2011
Modernoir said:
Nim0174 said:

the OST they played was amazing
i also didn't expect it to last 2 minutes

glad to see liberio finally in the anime :3

Agreed! God it felt like the start of a new anime, they've handled it so damn well already. I'm not ready for the next 3 weeks, bros.

3 weeks? It's going to take long for the next episode?
Jun 9, 2019 9:35 PM

Oct 2018
A chill episode after all that drama and action happened so far

I liked it, I'm really curious about the rest of the season
Many are saying here that the next episodes will change the entire series, I can't possibly imagine what will happen :o
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Question for the attack on titan fans

Mooogle - May 11

24 by Animesh007 »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Thorf - May 26, 2019

736 by wibugar »»
May 9, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2019

346 by GengarGrinn »»
Apr 26, 6:15 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2019

548 by ARTisANexplosion »»
Apr 25, 8:07 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2019

802 by jebras »»
Apr 23, 10:08 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.