Forum Settings
Forums

Anime so good, you feel like there won't be anything like it again?

New
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 1, 2019 2:09 PM

Jan 2018
I probably sound like a broken record at this point, mentioning it in every other thread, but Aria. It's the only perfect piece of media I've ever experienced. That applies to anime, film, television, literature, etc. And yeah, I know for a fact I'll never have the pleasure of seeing something so incredible again, but I'm just thankful I ever came across it in the first place.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

May 1, 2019 2:09 PM

Jan 2019
Man i have quite a few Anime that i find very special and unique and this list doesn't even cut it close S:

Code Geass
Steins Gate
FMAB
Attack on Titan
Dragon Ball
Fate Zero and UBW
Monster
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
Kara no Kyoukai
Inazuma Eleven
Cross Game
Madoka
Naruto
Death Note
Katekyo Hitman Reborn
Seriel Experiments Lain
Zetsuen no Tempest
Anohana
May 1, 2019 2:12 PM

Aug 2012
Higurashi. It's such a great, one of a kind franchise in general
May 1, 2019 2:13 PM
Jul 2018
CallMeHoot said:
KIRA2207 said:
There won't be anything like death note. NEVER EVER

That's a good thing, because it was bloody terrible :P

Don't mind me. I know it's not the popular opinion, and I get some stick about that, but I just have to say it. Every. Single. Time.

I'm sorry.

Huh I've never seen someone on this site have a negative opinion of Death Note. My opinion is mixed but what made you hate it if you don't mind me asking?
May 1, 2019 2:19 PM

Nov 2017
I agree with you on Monster.

It's a good one
ロード中です...

May 1, 2019 2:22 PM

Oct 2015
Monster certainly set the benchmark for anime quality back when I watched it, although now that quite a bit of time has passed I can't really say it's an absolute favorite of mine, but it will always be a special anime to me along with Mushishi.

I think most people have that feeling at times where they watch something really exceptional and think that nothing else will ever top it. But if you watch enough anime that feeling likely won't last forever as your taste develops/changes and you watch more and more as time goes on. You can have long-lasting favorites of course but you probably won't have a show be your "best anime ever" forever.
May 1, 2019 2:28 PM

Nov 2014
CallMeHoot said:
KIRA2207 said:
There won't be anything like death note. NEVER EVER

Don't mind me. I know it's not the popular opinion, and I get some stick about that, but I just have to say it. Every. Single. Time.

I'm sorry.

The great thing about anime, is that everyone will have different likes, dislikes, and opinions. As long as people respect that, its a great community to be apart of!
May 1, 2019 2:31 PM

Jan 2019
HungryForQuality said:
CallMeHoot said:

I'm sorry.

Huh I've never seen someone on this site have a negative opinion of Death Note. My opinion is mixed but what made you hate it if you don't mind me asking?

Well, since you asked I guess I gotta tell ya. Not gonna lie though, broseph. I relish any opportunity to bash Death Note.

Anyway, that's enough of that. As I say, I know a lot of people enjoy it and that's cool. I'm not judging those people in any way, shape or form.

I just really fucking hated it. Well, that's incorrect. I grew to hate it, over it's far too long run-time. Most of the time I was just bored, waiting for the next deus ex machina moment.

*Disclaimer : My bash of Death Note is my own personal opinion, stated here because I was directly asked. Please, if you wanna discuss it with me then PM me. Don't de-rail this thread. Cheers, people
May 1, 2019 2:32 PM
Sep 2017
There will be a show like Monster, is just a matter of time, what I´m scare is for JoJo.

JoJo is so unique that I can´t see another show replacing JoJo, is not like others shows ( Naruto end, BNHA starts; Fairy Tail ends, Black Clover starts. )
May 1, 2019 2:35 PM

Sep 2014
CallMeHoot said:
Comander-07 said:
Nice to see someone mentioning Battlestar Galactica in 2019! I have such a deep love for BG no western show ever reached it again. Like, sure Breaking Bad was good, but have you ever heard of Battlestar Galactica? There was a time when I watched it once a year, has been some time since. Sadly I dont really have the dedication to watch long shows anymore (also because I spend way too much time on anime) but BG might actually convince me.

So say we all.

*said in perfect imitation of the smooth and deep tones possessed by Edward James Olmos*
dont forget he made that shit up in the pilot movie. When the speech is over and he just keeps saying it till everyone does.
I really wish BSG would be more popular today, or simply would be newer (without any changes) so we could get all the merchandise other stuff gets. Like come one, octagonal paper!! OCTAGONAL BLU RAYS
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 1, 2019 2:37 PM
Jul 2018
I don't think I'll ever see an anime as beautiful as Clannad. Your Lie In April does come really close tho.
May 1, 2019 3:05 PM

Feb 2015
Greyleaf said:
I probably sound like a broken record at this point, mentioning it in every other thread, but Aria. It's the only perfect piece of media I've ever experienced. That applies to anime, film, television, literature, etc. And yeah, I know for a fact I'll never have the pleasure of seeing something so incredible again, but I'm just thankful I ever came across it in the first place.

Yet your forum set is full of YKK... Then, as I was about to call you a traitor, I checked your profile, and now I'm confused.
So... Which should I believe? :p

Joking aside, I agree, though I'm more reserved with the "finding something as incredible again" part(how could they if I'm not even open to the idea haha).
Also read your blog post related to it, and it's amazing how so many reviews share the same feedback. Genuinely wondering how many lives Aria changed by now, and I try to rewatch it yearly just so I won't forget what it brought me.
rahillimitciMay 1, 2019 3:09 PM
May 1, 2019 3:43 PM

Mar 2019
DaCraziGuy said:
LotGH, there is nothing as good as that one imo, I liked all of it... except some plot armor that certain character had...

Giulia14 said:
Made in Abyss for seinen.

Since when Made in abyss is considered Seinen?

Since… Always? If you see in Mal it says (+17 for violence and profanity). And the scene of episode 10

Mod edit: added spoiler
BrandonMay 3, 2019 11:20 PM
May 1, 2019 3:50 PM

Sep 2018
I'm still quite new to anime but Shingeki no Kyojin certainly has a special place in my heart.
To answer your question, I don't think there will be a show like Shingeki no Kyojin for a long time atleast. (For me atleast) ^^
May 1, 2019 4:02 PM

Jun 2016
All the time but once a year you discover a show or something new comes out and you be like DAMN why didn't I find this sooner?
May 1, 2019 4:08 PM

Jan 2018
Aemnesias said:
Greyleaf said:

Yet your forum set is full of YKK... Then, as I was about to call you a traitor, I checked your profile, and now I'm confused.
So... Which should I believe? :p

Joking aside, I agree, though I'm more reserved with the "finding something as incredible again" part(how could they if I'm not even open to the idea haha).
Also read your blog post related to it, and it's amazing how so many reviews share the same feedback. Genuinely wondering how many lives Aria changed by now, and I try to rewatch it yearly just so I won't forget what it brought me.

Haha, I actually just recently read YKK so it's kind of my latest obsession (and I'm thankful, because I never really read much manga prior to it, but it's really piqued my interest in the medium). Even then, I'll probably keep this forum set for a while, because I just love Alpha to death. ^_^

But nah, that in no way undermines my love for Aria, and while I may have been exaggerating to some degree about coming to terms with never finding something as great as it in the future, that statement still rings true in many ways. That series pulled a certain emotion out of me that I can't quite describe- one that I had never experienced from any form of entertainment before that. If you read my blog (thanks for checking it out btw, lol) you probably already have a good understanding of what I mean by this. It just opened my eyes to a lot of things- much more than I was expecting upon going in to it. I'm sure a lot of people have that one show, movie, book, or whatever that really felt like a life-altering experience in some regard; that was Aria for me. :)

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

May 1, 2019 4:13 PM

Aug 2018
I feel like the style of the 80's and 90's is pretty well gone for good which is a shame. However I have no reason to think that anime with newer sensibilities can't be as good or better. Neon Genesis is a fairly exceptional case, I think it will be some time before anything can compare to it.
May 1, 2019 4:19 PM

Oct 2017
No LOTR to me was the best piece of fiction I have ever read and still means a lot to me. I read those books as a kid before I even really really got into anime.

I judge things on their own merits sure not every story is going to be really impactful or maybe as good as some stuff I have enjoyed in the past but that doesn't negate their ability to stand on their own as enjoyable works.

Just because I have looked at the Pieta for instance doesn't mean all art is ruined for me. I can't really see how you can think like that.
May 1, 2019 4:21 PM

Apr 2018
Hunter x Hunter (2011), no contest.
A lone warrior surviving hundreds of battles, when it comes to losing, I'm the strongest.
May 1, 2019 4:40 PM

May 2018
I saw someone else mention this but Shingeki no Kyojin is pretty much in a league of it's own - it has the highest calibre artwork and OST as well tension, excitement, and deep and involving characters. I just watched the first episode of the new season - wow, it totally blew me away with it's brilliance and grandeur!
May 1, 2019 4:43 PM

Dec 2016
There will never be anything greater than Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion.
May 1, 2019 4:46 PM
Jul 2018
I'm really surprised by the amount of big Attack On Titan fans. I thought that show last most of its fanbase after season 2.
May 1, 2019 4:59 PM

Jul 2014
Cowboy Bebop, it's the feeling of older animation plus the incredible production quality that that anime had, added with the jazzy-blues soundtrack, can't be surpassed at least not in the near future with the current trends being taken.

For movies, probably Ghost in the Shell, that scene on the boat, where she's looking at the city, the rain, everything is majestic hand drawn animation.
May 1, 2019 5:01 PM

Dec 2016
Geshtinanna said:
Shingeki no Kyojin is pretty much in a league of it's own - it has the highest calibre artwork

The artwork looks bad.... I mean there is mostly never consistency between the characters and the backgrounds, characters look like cut from somewhere else and then pasted onto another image with different style....

Look how the lighting and shading for the character looks one way and the ones for the background a completely different one... looks annnoying to watch, like a terrible green screen effect.
May 1, 2019 5:10 PM

Jul 2016
Easily New Game! and Konohana Kitan for me. Miss Kobayashi's dragon maid will always be really special too and is a favorite from how much laughter it gave me, plus watching it is what lead me to absolutely adore New Game! and Konohana.

Honestly, the Yugioh dark side of dimensions movie too. I randomly decided to start watching the dual monster anime like a year and a half ago, and my brother and I started to play again after I was watching it for a few weeks, and then I saw the movie a few months after finishing the show, and it just had a special flare to it, especially because I already decided to build a blue-eyes deck before I saw it, so I loved seeing Alternative and Chaos max (I actually built vanilla blue-eyes, though) on screen, even though the Cgi models didn't have the same feel as the hand drawn monsters.

Also, The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel). I loved the show and I decided to buy volume 1 of the novel around when I started watching, and it became my favorite ln/manga really quickly. Plus, it's the first light novel I ever read, and since I don't really read lns, it's one of only 2 I read that are listed on my account with Occultic;nine being dropped because even the novel just bothered me when the show didn't. The Your Name ln isn't in the database here since it doesn't have artwork, so it doesn't count much here.
KitsunehimeMilhiMay 1, 2019 5:15 PM

May 1, 2019 5:11 PM
Mar 2016
One Piece is just too much and too long and too great, it's hard to replicate xD
Attack on Titan
Your Lie in April
Food Wars, I feel like it's easy to replicate, but can't find an anime like it
May 1, 2019 5:14 PM

May 2018
Arkab said:
Geshtinanna said:
Shingeki no Kyojin is pretty much in a league of it's own - it has the highest calibre artwork

The artwork looks bad.... I mean there is mostly never consistency between the characters and the backgrounds, characters look like cut from somewhere else and then pasted onto another image with different style....

Look how the lighting and shading for the character looks one way and the ones for the background a completely different one... looks annnoying to watch, like a terrible green screen effect.

I've never noticed these 'faults' when the anime was in motion for any of the three seasons. If you look at anything through a microscope you will see rough edges - it is an anime after all, it's not supposed to be real humans filmed against a real backdrop/landscape lol. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess :D
May 1, 2019 5:31 PM
Nov 2009
Rodokami said:
Hunter x Hunter (2011), no contest.

That one is already worse than Hunter x Hunter (1999).
May 1, 2019 5:33 PM
May 2019
Cowboy Bebop for me straight up😢 I just watched it recently and that series was WAY ahead of its time. Even prior to this I have watched ALOT of different anime including mainstream greatness but this series is a different beast😨. I can't believe I waited this long to watch this masterpiece it's insanity😂.
May 1, 2019 5:39 PM
Jan 2013
Definitely Legend of The Galactic Heroes and Hunter x Hunter 2011. Haven't watched anything like the two in greatness since, but would love any recommendations.
May 1, 2019 5:46 PM

Mar 2019
I'm actually scared to watch the second season of Kingdom for precisely this reason lol. The first season was so amazing that I'm worried that when I finish the second season it'll be like "that's it" you can't get better than this.

I felt similarly with Death Note, that I'll never see an anime as good as Death Note. Kingdom is a major rival now though. I also wonder if there's an anime that will tug on my heartstrings the way Angel Beats did but I do feel confident that there's something out there that will.

Kingdom, however, I think you'd be very hard pressed to find an anime out there as epic as Kingdom.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 1, 2019 8:07 PM
Jan 2019
CallMeHoot said:
Ricochet2000 said:
you are right actually i don't want to stuck on one medium like only anime everyone should see some Western tv series they are great as well

For sure. I mean this is an anime forum and an anime thread so this will be the last I say on it, but you should really check out True Detective (first season) and The Shield and if you're in the mood for a bit of sci-fi definitely check out Battlestar Galactica and Altered Carbon.

So, so good.

Anyway, to get back on topic with anime, I think so far Gurren Lagann is the show that's blown me away the most.
watched all of them I'm a big fan of western tv series glad to see someone having good taste in tv series
May 1, 2019 8:20 PM
Jan 2019
Arkab said:
Geshtinanna said:

you rated snk- 3 by watching 3 episodes its pretty much sums up you are a big hater of this series so there is no need to cry out loud just keep it to yourself and let people enjoy this
May 1, 2019 8:32 PM
Oct 2018
lets be serious...STEINS;GATE takes the win,there will be no anime or anything other than anime that will be created to beat this masterpiece,that damned 12th episode and the fucking "time war" after that still chills my spine.whenever i hear to THE GATE OF STEINER, it feels just so epic,nothing will beat steins gate....but then again, quoting from S;G itself-
"No one knows what the future holds, that's why it's potential is infinite". who knows there may be some other masterpiece to overtake gate in the future........
May 1, 2019 8:42 PM

Oct 2015
a lot of retro anime tbh. but with modern anime i can only think of hunter x hunter.
⠀     ‧     ⠀
May 1, 2019 8:47 PM

Mar 2016
for me it will always be hxh and fma:b but when i watched mob psycho 100 it was like experiencing the entire range of human emotions at once. not to be dramatic tho but watching mp100 has been one of the most positive and healing experiences i’ve ever had.

May 1, 2019 8:49 PM
Mar 2018
Steins;Gate , it's a masterpiece and I'm obsessed with it
May 1, 2019 8:57 PM
Jul 2018
LottiePerson said:
for me it will always be hxh and fma:b but when i watched mob psycho 100 it was like experiencing the entire range of human emotions at once. not to be dramatic tho but watching mp100 has been one of the most positive and healing experiences i’ve ever had.

You're not being dramatic. Mob Psycho 100 almost gave me the same feeling. It's somehow able to be funny, dramatic, while still being really positive and uplifting.
May 1, 2019 9:49 PM

Jul 2007
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Dragon Ball Super
Clannad

If I were to include visual novels and manga I would also say Umineko no Naku Koro ni.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

May 1, 2019 10:01 PM
Mar 2019
Violet Evergarden, the music, character development, and the character stories no Anime will top that, it's a fucking Masterpiece.
May 1, 2019 10:10 PM

Jan 2017
It’s not my favorite but I’d say one piece with how epic the journey has become
May 1, 2019 10:19 PM
Apr 2018
1)Death Note
2)Psycho Pass
3)Samurai Champloo
4)Ping Pong the animation
5)Tatami Galaxy
May 1, 2019 11:22 PM
News Team
Demon Spawn

Apr 2017
Surprisingly mine is actually the first season of Mo Dao Zu Shi, which isn't even Japanese. But the way everything was paced, the character development, the story arc; it all happened in ways that I had always wanted to watch but could never find anything like it. I was waiting for it to change from what I was hoping would happen, but it never did. Seriously one of the most excited I felt watching a show
May 1, 2019 11:36 PM

Aug 2012
I do not think there were anime that made me go like this. There are extremely unique quality anime like Urusey Yatsura Inuyasha Slayers Gokudou and others but I would not have that reaction.
I am unsure how many eps into Monster I got years ago but I know for me was a real let down. It was mostly a way to demonize nazies. Some were indeed horrible but most of their practices were not uncommon before the Geneva convention and they were inspired mostly by what the americans did.

Edit: some people reminded me of Monogatari and Garden of sinners and yes there was nothing comparable to them since then. The only monogatari series I did not fully enjoy was Kixumonogatari. The manga version was way better done.
nightcrawlercypMay 1, 2019 11:40 PM
May 2, 2019 1:57 AM

Aug 2018
In music/slice of life category i will say K-ON! the impact while watchin and ending it like theres no other like it again
B O C C H I  S W E E P
May 2, 2019 2:03 AM

Apr 2019
Code Geass : The great action, heavy drama, multiple plot-twists this show offered me was unlike any other, with the most memorable ending in anime history sealing the deal.

Deathnote : Mastepiece writing with an original story. All the planning, the cunning, the strategic thinking of both parties was truly exceptional.

Nagi no Asu kara : One of only two anime's to give me a post anime depression

-ShinzoMay 2, 2019 2:23 AM

May 2, 2019 2:04 AM
Oct 2017
Evangelion, from the beginning to the end it's just a masterpiece.
May 2, 2019 2:05 AM
Oct 2017
Hunter X Hunter 2011. BEST. ANIME. EVER.
May 2, 2019 3:23 AM
May 2017
Tekakurika said:
Can make fun of me however you want but - Code Geass. I know it had it's own issues but positive side won it. It is still one of my favorite anime and I think it'll always be

despite all the problems it has, especially in R2, it has easily one of the best endings in anime ever. it perfectly caps off the themes of the series and the character arcs of Suzaku and Lelouch
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

120 by TransferUser »»
17 minutes ago

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 5 hours ago

14 by ProGoddess »»
22 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Apr 26

72 by TransferUser »»
25 minutes ago

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 6 hours ago

21 by Subarctic-Forest »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

81 by Spunkert »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.