Forum Settings
Forums

Anime so good, you feel like there won't be anything like it again?

New
May 1, 2019 8:33 AM
Jul 2018
Ever since I watched Monster, I don't think I'll ever find anything as good as it. What about you guys? What anime did you watch that made you go, "Holy shit, this is so amazing, that I'll never find anything like it"?
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 1, 2019 8:37 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Shingeki no Kyojin is one that I was very confident nothing would excel above but over time a couple have made it over that line. Even now, though, very hard to imagine anything else taking over Shingeki no Kyojin.

Kaguya-sama: Love is War will probably be the best Rom-Com series for a long time coming too by the way and possibly Yuru Camp as an Iyashikei show too.

Edit: Needless to say, but these are of my own personal opinion.
Especially that 2nd Paragraph.
_MushiRock11_May 1, 2019 8:41 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

May 1, 2019 8:45 AM

Jan 2019
I think when you watch a brilliant show, doesn't even have to be anime, you always come away with some level of the same feeling.

That was great! Man, I'll never watch anything like that again! Etc, etc.

With most shows though, that feeling is transient. Sure, they might be great shows, but that feeling subsides as you start watching other great shows.

There are those though, where even years later, you still think the same.

Hard for me to say with anime yet, as I'm still new to it, but in terms of TV shows...the first season of True Detective, still the best 8 hours of TV I've ever watched. Easily.
May 1, 2019 8:53 AM

Apr 2017
Beautiful coincidence, I'm also currently watching Monster.

My favourite anime is One Piece. I have a huge degree of the feeling you described but it's quite weird. Whenever I put my eyes on a show that appears "mysterious" I always think deep into myself "maybe this will be the one". The show I feel that the strongest is Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu. I'll watch it during summer.

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

May 1, 2019 9:03 AM

Jun 2015
Monster instantly came to my mind, as well as Monogatari. Although it has flaws, I still think it’s a great series. The vibe and characters make it something I can’t stop watching, the dialogue is also poetic at times. Plus, it’s a nigh-flawless deconstruction of the harem genre
certainmiracleMay 1, 2019 11:32 AM
May 1, 2019 9:30 AM

Nov 2016
One Piece. It's not that I think anything else can't be as good qualitywise, but I don't think there will be another series which will offer so much and where I can get invested as I'm now.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 1, 2019 9:34 AM

Aug 2018
Shingeki no Kyojin and Death Note definitely

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

May 1, 2019 9:38 AM

Aug 2018
Monogatari Series. I remember when I watched Hunter x Hunter (2011) I said the only thing that could top it was probably going to be Monogatari and I hadn’t watched it at all at that point. I just had a feeling. That feeling turned out to be correct as nothing has even come close to Monogatari since
May 1, 2019 9:38 AM
Jan 2019
Code geass even though there is lot of flaws in this anime but the ending and characters are stucked in my mind like no other anime
Ricochet2000May 1, 2019 9:46 AM
May 1, 2019 9:44 AM

May 2015
I wouldn't say its a case of nothing will ever be as good as it, but I don't think another anime will ever be able to recreate the feeling Natsume Yuujinchou, Yuru Camp and YoriMoi give/gave me.

♡ artist
サコ
May 1, 2019 9:50 AM

Apr 2018
Monogatari and Kara no Kyoukai

Haven't watched Monster but its manga made me feel that way
May 1, 2019 9:51 AM

May 2009
Like I recently wrote in another thread, after I watched Kiddy Grade, I thought I could find something else like it, something else that had a similarly deep, transformative meaning to me, through its combination of iconic characters, well-written music, plot elements that range from lighthearted moments to ones that shake the very core of one's being, and so forth.

Some years later I finally came to the conclusion that I wouldn't ever find anything else like it, and it was singularly special, as are all series, honestly. Every story is going to be different, and no story is going to give me the same experienced that any other one has.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 1, 2019 9:54 AM

Oct 2010
None. I'm always positive that there can be at least something as good that hits the right notes as well as that particular show. But of course I expect all of them to have their own even slightly distinct charm.
May 1, 2019 9:55 AM

Feb 2018
Made in abyss. It may not be the best anime, but no anime will never generate the same feelings me.
May 1, 2019 9:58 AM
Oct 2015
OG Kino's Journey, the 2003 version. New one is good to but doesn't hold a candle to the original.
May 1, 2019 10:00 AM
Apr 2017
JoJo's Meme Adventure

Loved. Everything.

The manga, The characters, The Soundtrack. EVERYTHING
May 1, 2019 10:02 AM

Jul 2017
A lot actually, most notably would be Monogatari. Bunny Girl Senpai came close but really it failed in the sense that the latter half of the girls weren't really that interesting entertaining at all

Another one would be Gintama. I had definitely laughed a lot at shows like Love Lab and Gekkan Shoujo, but I was nowhere near expecting to laugh as much as I did, especially since it's just copypasta straight man humor. Made me realize how bipolar that kind of humor really can be

Last one would probably be Tamako Love Story, mainly because that type of romance I think I've rarely seen in other anime so it came as a shock. Again, Hanasaku Iroha came close in that regard but the conclusion wasn't all too satisfying

Apr 2017
I love anime, I have watched a ton, but I know I'll never find an anime that makes me feel what Steins;Gate made me feel, God is that anime a masterpiece.
cunnysseur

Jan 2015
attack on titan without question, all the other anime are trash
May 1, 2019 10:10 AM

Apr 2018
San-gatsu no Lion is pretty much the pinnacle slice of life imo, especially S2.
May 1, 2019 10:10 AM

Nov 2013
CallMeHoot said:
I think when you watch a brilliant show, doesn't even have to be anime, you always come away with some level of the same feeling.

With most shows though, that feeling is transient. Sure, they might be great shows, but that feeling subsides as you start watching other great shows.

Hard for me to say with anime yet, as I'm still new to it, but in terms of TV shows...the first season of True Detective, still the best 8 hours of TV I've ever watched. Easily.

first season of TD was absolutely stellar. still remember the build up to the end of this episode like it was yesterday, remember turning to my friend when the credits rolled and just saying "holy fuck" lol

anyhow, ping pong the animation blew away anime for me. just nothing since, and even prior felt as emotionally stirring in animation as that series was. it's up there with some of my all-time favourite things i've experienced in any media really.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
May 1, 2019 10:14 AM

Mar 2019
Made in Abyss for seinen and Haikyuu for shonen. About this one I also wrote a very long review even though i have always thought "how con people write so much about just one show? It would be impossible for me"
May 1, 2019 10:58 AM

Apr 2010
Can make fun of me however you want but - Code Geass. I know it had it's own issues but positive side won it. It is still one of my favorite anime and I think it'll always be
May 1, 2019 11:09 AM
Jan 2019
CallMeHoot said:

mine is breaking bad holy shit i was so intrigued and tge ending was so beautiful
May 1, 2019 11:10 AM
Jul 2018
Haven't watched nearly enough to say that but I do feel I won't find something I love as much as my 10s for a while. But I'm definitely hopeful.
May 1, 2019 11:11 AM

Jan 2019
Sad said:
first season of TD was absolutely stellar. still remember the build up to the end of this episode like it was yesterday, remember turning to my friend when the credits rolled and just saying "holy fuck" lol

Yeah, man. The Reggie Ledoux shootout was just...fucking hell. Amazing acting all around.

Ricochet2000 said:
mine is breaking bad holy shit i was so intrigued and tge ending was so beautiful

Also a great TV show man :) I see there are men/women of culture in this thread! I think the only show that's done the "MC gradually becomes the villain" arc better was The Sopranos.
May 1, 2019 11:12 AM
Jan 2019
Tekakurika said:
Can make fun of me however you want but - Code Geass. I know it had it's own issues but positive side won it. It is still one of my favorite anime and I think it'll always be
same thing buddy #30characterlimit
May 1, 2019 11:15 AM
Jan 2019
CallMeHoot said:
Sad said:

Yeah, man. The Reggie Ledoux shootout was just...fucking hell. Amazing acting all around.

Ricochet2000 said:

Also an amazing TV show man :) I see there are men/women of culture in this thread!
you are right actually i don't want to stuck on one medium like only anime everyone should see some Western tv series they are great as well
May 1, 2019 11:25 AM

Jan 2019
Ricochet2000 said:
CallMeHoot said:

Also an amazing TV show man :) I see there are men/women of culture in this thread!
you are right actually i don't want to stuck on one medium like only anime everyone should see some Western tv series they are great as well

For sure. I mean this is an anime forum and an anime thread so this will be the last I say on it, but you should really check out True Detective (first season) and The Shield and if you're in the mood for a bit of sci-fi definitely check out Battlestar Galactica and Altered Carbon.

So, so good.

Anyway, to get back on topic with anime, I think so far Gurren Lagann is the show that's blown me away the most.
May 1, 2019 11:31 AM

Dec 2012
I also felt that way about Monster as well as Redline and a most of Satoshi Kon's works.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 1, 2019 11:41 AM

Oct 2013
I can't picture anything as amazing as Shakugan no Shana tbh

I used to feel like that with Clannad Afterstory also but not as much despite thinking its the best KEY anime still
May 1, 2019 11:47 AM
Jul 2018
Steins Gate, Jojos and maybe the first season of Psycho Pass.
May 1, 2019 11:52 AM
Jul 2018
Series, adapting full novels at 39-50 episodes similar to World Masterpiece Theater. Last one was Beyond Green Gables more than 10 years ago.
May 1, 2019 11:55 AM

May 2016
There will never be an isekai anime as good as Now and Then Here and There.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
May 1, 2019 11:56 AM

Mar 2012
I still cannot find something that able to top Rokujouma (LN). I want to be proven wrong so I keep searching but still haven't find any yet.

As for anime Shirobako have sequel movie even if it take years to be finished.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
May 1, 2019 11:58 AM

Jun 2014
I feel this way whenever I watch an anime that makes me feel nostalgic for some reason. Series such as Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok, Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru, Gakuen Alice, etc. But as I go on, I keep finding series that make me feel the same way, but after I finish a really good series, I do feel that way every time. So I get it.
May 1, 2019 12:03 PM

Apr 2017
Mushishi, no anime I have watched before or after I seen it made me feel that transcendental feeling I had while watching that show, and for all I know no other show will. But I hope that someone will release a show that good or better one day.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
May 1, 2019 12:08 PM

Aug 2018
LotGH, there is nothing as good as that one imo, I liked all of it... except some plot armor that certain character had...

Giulia14 said:
Made in Abyss for seinen.

Since when Made in abyss is considered Seinen?
May 1, 2019 12:51 PM

Nov 2011
Monster is not really unique, other Urasawa's mangas like 20th Century Boys and Pluto have similar atmosphere and equally good.. The sam thing with most animes mentioned here..

I only agree with LoGH and maybe Made in Abyss.. And I want to add Shinsekai yori ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
May 1, 2019 12:56 PM

Apr 2019
jojo's bizarre adventure and san-gatsu no lion
May 1, 2019 1:05 PM
Jul 2018
CallMeHoot said:

That occurred for me with the first few great anime I watched; initially after finishing the series I felt that they were so great that none other anime could top them, yet after getting into another great anime that feeling quickly dissipated.

One anime that I personally really enjoyed was Magi, with it's open-world layout (exploring new countries), and I don't believe I've watched another anime quite like it.
removed-userMay 1, 2019 1:19 PM
May 1, 2019 1:20 PM

Dec 2008
Gotta be Maison Ikkoku, The 12 Kingdoms, El Hazard-The Magnificent World, Blood + and Cardcaptor Sakura.
Life Is Short But Intense.
May 1, 2019 1:31 PM

Aug 2015
Anohana

Angel beats

Fairy tail

Naruto

Fate stay night

Another

Natsume yuujinchou

Mahou sensei negima(manga version)
May 1, 2019 1:37 PM

Nov 2014
The Original Steins;Gate really did it for me. That's one I will show to my kids when they are older, and exist.

"Another" is another one (heh) I will always go back to.

Violet Evergarden had a powerful story, stunning visuals and great voice acting to back it up.

Ofc, all my opinion.
May 1, 2019 1:44 PM

Sep 2014
Would be Code Geass for me and indeed nothing ever beat it, I guess the most perfect ending of all time makes it harder to beat as well.

Otherwise the Monogatari series is amazing. But I never had the feeling of "nothing will ever come close" maybe because its rather long, so you feel satisfied. Or because you know there is more coming at some point. I did get a bit sad at the end of zoku owari though .. and I started Kizu again

Also Sangatsu no Lion season 2. 10/10 from beginning to end. 10/10 every second. 10/10 every frame. I hope shaft will bless us with more seasons.

I want to mention just how much I loved oldschool Gainax as well, its sad to think there will be no studio like it probably ever.

And everything touched by shaft is gold.
Zelkiiro said:
There will never be an isekai anime as good as Now and Then Here and There.
I watched this show this year and it gave me depression. Its really something else.

Tekakurika said:
Ricochet2000 said:
Code geass even though there is lot of flaws in this anime but the ending and characters are stucked in my mind like no other anime
have some pride! Code Geass is simply that amazing.

Kuraya said:
Beautiful coincidence, I'm also currently watching Monster. The show I feel that the strongest is Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu. I'll watch it during summer.

If you want to watch LoGH be aware it isnt nearly as perfect as many plebs claim. It has some serious flaws. if you have the mindset "this is the number one anime it will be perfect" you will be disappointed. ALSO NEVER EVER WATCH THE PREVIEWS AT THE END OF THE EPISODES like holy hell what were they thinking, it spoils everything!

Ironically I had to drop monster around ep18 or so. I was just so bored to death by it.
CallMeHoot said:

For sure. I mean this is an anime forum and an anime thread so this will be the last I say on it, but you should really check out True Detective (first season) and The Shield and if you're in the mood for a bit of sci-fi definitely check out Battlestar Galactica and Altered Carbon.

Nice to see someone mentioning Battlestar Galactica in 2019! I have such a deep love for BG no western show ever reached it again. Like, sure Breaking Bad was good, but have you ever heard of Battlestar Galactica? There was a time when I watched it once a year, has been some time since. Sadly I dont really have the dedication to watch long shows anymore (also because I spend way too much time on anime) but BG might actually convince me.

PS: For some time I thought anime had peaked in the past, but we do get absolutely amazing series still. Like A Place Further Than The Universe. And its an original!
Comander-07May 1, 2019 1:47 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 1, 2019 1:50 PM
Oct 2018
There won't be anything like death note. NEVER EVER
May 1, 2019 1:52 PM

Jan 2019
Comander-07 said:
Nice to see someone mentioning Battlestar Galactica in 2019! I have such a deep love for BG no western show ever reached it again. Like, sure Breaking Bad was good, but have you ever heard of Battlestar Galactica? There was a time when I watched it once a year, has been some time since. Sadly I dont really have the dedication to watch long shows anymore (also because I spend way too much time on anime) but BG might actually convince me.

So say we all.

*said in perfect imitation of the smooth and deep tones possessed by Edward James Olmos*
May 1, 2019 1:53 PM

Jan 2019
KIRA2207 said:
There won't be anything like death note. NEVER EVER

That's a good thing, because it was bloody terrible :P

Don't mind me. I know it's not the popular opinion, and I get some stick about that, but I just have to say it. Every. Single. Time.

I'm sorry.
May 1, 2019 1:57 PM

Feb 2013
a good percent of my favourites
in particular i'd like to give mentions to Ima Soko ni Iru Boku, The Tatami Galaxy, Yoru wa Mijikashi and Midori-ko
May 1, 2019 2:04 PM

Jun 2017
I don't know but about Clannad After Story I don't think I ever cry like that again...

I haven't seen much enough anime to say that strong sentence
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

24 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
22 seconds ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - Today

20 by Oofmastre9000 »»
15 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

20 by AverageRiceFan »»
17 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 2 hours ago

3 by AverageRiceFan »»
21 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

196 by ISeeLifePeople »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.