Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 28, 2019 5:25 PM

Jan 2017
Of all the shows in anime history, what three shows had the best first episode?
(has to be first season)
and what made it so good?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 28, 2019 5:34 PM

Jul 2017
It'd probably be Hanasaku Iroha, because I did not expect to like the protag as much as I did after the first ep. Love Lab because I did not expect it to be as funny as it was. Or, Parasyte cause that also surprised me with how good it was
Mar 28, 2019 5:39 PM

Nov 2016
Cross Game, it completely caught me off guard and hit me in the heart.
Mar 28, 2019 5:40 PM

May 2014
Osomatsu-san's first episode is one of the most memorable opening episodes i've ever seen.
Mar 28, 2019 5:41 PM

Jul 2017
I'm gonna say Zankyou no Terror, was hooked immediately from the first episode.

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Mar 28, 2019 5:42 PM
Jul 2016
Idk if I would say best, but Death Parade definitely had the biggest impact on me with its first episode. I wasn’t expecting how intense it was gonna actually be
Mar 28, 2019 5:43 PM

Jul 2015
Those for sure:
- Ga-Rei-Zero
- Cross Game
- Gakkougurashi
- Elfen Lied
- Akame ga Kill
- Promised Neverland
- Death Parade

Mar 28, 2019 5:44 PM

Jan 2018
My two picks would be Kill la Kill and Ping Pong the Animation.

Kill la Kill is such a far cry from what I normally watch (over-the-top in every way imaginable- fanservice, action, etc.), but I was laughing my ass off at how utterly absurd it was. Somehow it all just worked for me, right from the first episode. Ep. 1 felt like it went by in 5 minutes.

Ping Pong was a show I was skeptical about when I started it (as with most, it had to do with the art style, and I'm also not big on sports), but the first episode was all I needed to realize I was watching something brilliant. I loved the animation and the way they sequenced the shots, and I ended up binging the whole series right there in a single sitting.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Mar 28, 2019 5:53 PM

Jan 2013
Probably Usagi Drop. In just 13 minutes it made me care so much about the characters to the point where I was tearing up when Rin started crying in front of her father's coffin. That's more than most shows manage to do during their entire run time.

As for some others, Attack on Titan would probably be near the top for how quickly it manages to completely hook you into the show when shit starts going down. I'd also put NGE there for similar reasons. And maybe Death Note for the concept alone.
Mar 28, 2019 6:01 PM

Dec 2018
in my opinion:
- Shingeki no Kyojin
- Yakusoku no Neverland
- Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

Mar 28, 2019 6:05 PM

Aug 2015
Osomatsu-san tbh fucking hilarious!

Mar 28, 2019 6:16 PM
Nov 2018
Probably Erased. Made in abyss, FLCL and maybe Shigatsu wa kimi na uso or the tatami galaxy had good first episodes too.
Eventually, you'll fall into death's embrace anyway, so it's stupid to be bound by useless ideals.

Mar 28, 2019 6:16 PM
Mar 2018
For me, Attack on Titan had the best first episode. Still give me the chills every time I watch it.
Mar 28, 2019 6:34 PM
Sep 2018
Shingeki no Kyojin without a doubt had the best first episode IMO. In the very first episode, you see exactly what the anime is about and what you will face along the series
Mar 28, 2019 6:41 PM

Jun 2013
Texhnolyze is definitely up there, but my pick is Haibane Renmei. It's a beautiful introduction to the world and characters that will leave you intrigued, bewildered and wanting more.
Mar 28, 2019 6:50 PM
Mar 2016
LeWind_God said:

same it was so good, sht almost had me in tears
Mar 28, 2019 6:51 PM
Jan 2012
Ping Pong the Animation had a really strong first episode, and Boku Dake/Erased did too. Bakemonogatari kinda did too.

Ping Pong the Animation made me fall in love with the show immediately. I never thought I'd care about a ping pong match, yet I was absolutely enamored by that first ping pong battle.

Erased's first episode wasn't the most original out there, but it was very, very well executed. It's strong first episode is what led me to be so much more critical of the show than I should have, after how disappointed I was at the show as a whole. My standard for the show was created by that first episode, and the second half didn't even live up to a quarter of that standard. That first episode really hooked me, and was a shining example to me of originality being far less important than execution.

I've grown tired of the Monogatari series, even though I watch every single season, but I still love Bakemonogatari. That first episode did such a good job at showing us what kind of show it was, and getting me interested. It was so new and fresh that I couldn't help but want more, and unlike Erased, actually delivered on that promise of quality for at least an entire season.
Mar 28, 2019 7:05 PM

May 2013
SAO
Goblin Slayer

Because other happy-go-lucky isekai/adventuring shows are cliched and boring AF.

Mar 28, 2019 7:16 PM

Dec 2018
The first thing that came to mind was Guilty Crown, which despite being terrible overall (imo), had an amazingly strong first episode.

The Future Diary comes to mind. The first episode’s initial value is meh, but after finishing and rewatching I think it’s excellent because of how it foreshadows the end.

I’m also fond of the first episode of Samurai Champloo
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Mar 28, 2019 7:29 PM

Jan 2018
Darling in the FranXX had a good opening episode, still a shame how that show turned out.
What a beautiful Duwang
Mar 28, 2019 7:43 PM

Dec 2016
Probably the first episode of Hunter x Hunter (1999 version). Now that's how you make a first episode that truly absorbs you into the screen and makes you want to genuinely press "next episode" to know how the story unfolds. Simply a beauty.
Mar 28, 2019 8:15 PM

Oct 2015
Off the top of my head, Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu.

Being 45 mins long definitely helped.
Mar 28, 2019 8:53 PM
Aug 2018
Made in abyss,kill la kill and erased my opinion
Mar 28, 2019 9:09 PM

May 2016
Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion had pretty iconic first episodes, if you ask me.

But everybody knows that. So I also nominate Black Lagoon, Chihayafuru, Kill la Kill, WataMote, Psycho-Pass, Death Parade, K-On! Season 2, and (hot take incoming) Steins;Gate.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Mar 29, 2019 12:38 AM
Jul 2018
Huh Ha, Lets do it. Throughout my anime history, I have seen a decent amount of shows. I am going to try and be as honest as I can be here, I just stared at my completed list (( what isn't that big )) and I meditated on all the shows and their offered first impressions. I am gonna value these episodes with a critique that separates them from the rest of their series,. My picks are in no way a reflection of my taste in anime as I could have a completely different opinion of the show in its entirety. So in no specific order,

1. Samurai Champloo:

2. Zombieland Saga:

3. KONOSUBA:

Honorable Mentions:
Mar 29, 2019 12:42 AM

Jan 2018
vegeta8639 said:
Probably Usagi Drop. In just 13 minutes it made me care so much about the characters to the point where I was tearing up when Rin started crying in front of her father's coffin. That's more than most shows manage to do during their entire run time.

Totally forgot to mention Usagi Drop... I couldn't agree with you more. Easily one of the best first episodes of all time. The show as a whole didn't blow me away per se, but it was such a sweet story. I really enjoyed it.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Mar 29, 2019 12:46 AM

Dec 2018
Centaur no Nayami. 4 seconds in and there it is, my girls are already kissing. From that moment i know this is going to be a awesome anime =) that's my favorite first episode of all time
Mar 29, 2019 12:46 AM
Feb 2018
Megalo Box, I have yet to meet a person who didn't felt interested in the upcoming episodes.
Mar 29, 2019 12:59 AM

Jul 2014
LeWind_God said:

This, really impressive how it made me care for the characters through drama in the very first episode.
Mar 29, 2019 1:53 AM

Mar 2015
Aldnoah.Zero

Especially the last few minutes are epic af. Too bad it was all downhill from there.
Mar 29, 2019 2:12 AM
Jul 2018
I think Naruto, Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill. Those episodes had the ability to force someone to watch more xD
Mar 29, 2019 2:27 AM

May 2018
Actually I don't remember, too much anime...
Only stuff that started really really great but after that totally disappointed me like: Dimension W, Kokkoku, SAO, Basquash!, Terra Formars: Bugs 2-hen (the pilot of Terra Formars), Kiss Dum: Engage Planet ect.
Mar 29, 2019 2:35 AM

Jan 2018
I second Samurai Champloo though I've yet to finish it. and add Detroit Metal City as it hit the absurdist comedy in episode one and never let up. I'm a metalhead who couldn't help but laugh at how that show portrayed my more 'enthusiastic' brothers and sisters.
You can make me grow old, but you can never make me grow up!
Mar 29, 2019 2:37 AM
Aug 2017
Definitely Attack on titan. I will never forget how intense it was, and how hooked I was after just that episode alone
Mar 29, 2019 3:32 AM
Jul 2018
Cardcaptor Sakura's first episode was really good.
Mar 29, 2019 3:47 AM

Oct 2009
Gakkougurashi has one of the best [redacted] right on the first episode, though it becomes too famous because of it that people mostly getting spoiled and diminish the magic of that episode.

Muv Luv Alternative is another title I had in mind, such a shame that the show itself never picked up on the excellent opening that you'd better off only watching the first few episode only.

Arakawa Under the Bridge is probably one of the best Shaft anime in presenting total chaos in just one episode, you'd abandon all sort of reasonable thinking and just go on with the crazy plot. It is quite a feat for priming the audience for all the comedic nonsense afterwards.
azzuReMar 29, 2019 3:52 AM
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Mar 29, 2019 4:26 AM

Nov 2011
Fate/Zero (not really new if you know Fate/Stay Night beforehand though)
Cross Game
Samurai Champloo
Made in Abyss
Erased (too bad it's quality dropped a lot in second half)
Jim_HeartMar 29, 2019 4:30 AM
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Mar 29, 2019 6:31 AM
Sep 2017
Of course ERASED. Even people who absolutely loathe the series, agree that the first episode was excellently executed. In fact, I think the first minute of the episode is perhaps the best first minute I've ever seen. Everything from the shot composition to the camera angles spoke volumes. And of course, the cliffhanger end. 10/10 episode.

Honourable mention: Ping Pong
“There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground ... and miss."
Mar 29, 2019 9:41 AM
A Monster

May 2018
For me, Saga of Tanya the Evil had one of the best 1st episodes i have seen. It is what cuased me to watch the entire series
"Never Give Up Without A Fight" By Zuko
Mar 29, 2019 9:47 AM
Jan 2019
"Kara no Kyoukai"
The BGM, animation, story and art were too good.
Mar 29, 2019 6:25 PM

Mar 2017
I'm surprised at how many people said Cross Game. That first episode was really something else.

There's plenty of recent anime that had great first episodes. I was hooked on Dororo and Shield Hero after the first episode. Although Dororo's OP did play a part in me getting hooked, but that's another topic.
What's your rush now? Everyone will have his day to die.
Mar 30, 2019 9:39 AM

Apr 2007
Erased, unfortunately it dipped pretty hard by the end.
Mar 30, 2019 9:41 AM

Jul 2016
Death Note - "And I... I will become this God of the new world"
Mar 31, 2019 2:23 AM

Jul 2014
Cowboy Bebop. It does a flawless job of establishing the overall tone, fleshing out the setting and introducing both Spike and Jet. Plus it contains one of anime's most kinetic and vibrant fight sequences.

Take care of yourself

Mar 31, 2019 3:17 AM
Mar 2019
For me is SNAFU. First ep changed me a lot, gave me a better "me"
Mar 31, 2019 3:24 AM

Aug 2017
I'd go with Shingeki no Kyojin or Death Parade.

After reading the topic, I also agree with Evangelion, Black LagoonDarling in the Franxx
Mar 31, 2019 3:24 AM

Dec 2018
Someone else already mentioned it, but the first episode of Gakkou Gurashi is an absolute masterpiece. I love how the entire thing makes you feel uneasy- it feels a little TOO moe, and there are a lot of things that don't add up until the reveal at the end. I knew about the twist beforehand and it still caught me off-guard with how well they executed it.
I MUST SOMEHOW MAKE SENSE OF OUR CONVOLUTED SITUATION
Mar 31, 2019 3:27 AM

Nov 2016
3-gatsu no Lion
Usagi Drop
Death Note
Erased
Attack on Titan
Tokyo Ghoul

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 31, 2019 3:27 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Single best first episode in my opinion belongs to Shingeki no Kyojin by far for sucking you in to the premise right away!

Oregairu, or Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru, is a close contender. Hikigaya Hachiman’s monologue at the start is just spot-on and I knew from that very moment that this show would go down as one of my favourites and unsurprisingly it certainly did.

Boku Dake ga Inai Machi had a good first episode or so but the second and third episodes completely hooked me in. Similarly, Koutetsujou no Kabenari and Youjo Senki really grew on me from a couple of episodes or so.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 31, 2019 3:35 AM

Apr 2017
Maybe
-Sword Art Online
-Shingeki no Kyojin
-Agame ga Kill!

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Endless eight and mental health concerns

trinitroglycerin - 8 hours ago

8 by trinitroglycerin »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Who is your favorite imas secretary?

Shizuna - Yesterday

19 by Shizuna »»
6 minutes ago

» Would you support AI generated Anime?

Dragevard - 11 hours ago

34 by Vaturna »»
9 minutes ago

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - Yesterday

63 by Hikinekomori »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » Your favourite romance ( 1 2 )

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 30

92 by Buny0058 »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.