Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2019 9:49 PM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"Invisible" Episode Discussion

Now this is something worth watching. "Invisible" is clearly my favorite short out of the bunch, with a fantastic segment where the Invisible Man goes airborne being the highlight of the film.
His plight of saving the baby is another moment worth mentioning.
Jan 16, 2019 11:34 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
This one blew me away and really staked my 8/10 on this small collection because I wish Ponoc would delve into this direction with animation despite it being a risk. The subject matter that Nishimura talks about in more explanation at the end, where people feel so invisible to those around them in their secluded life, that it makes you not feel grounded to the earth you're inhabiting.

And obviously the entire last minute with him driving to save the baby and flying through the air, the perspective shot Yamashita did going up through the pant leg to the glasses was mind blowing. And to think, he wasn't even sure if he could do a short with this magnitude having an invisible guy as the lead. He put his all into it.

I really hope Ponoc does more of these as a Director showcase. It really will give platforms to those who deserve the chance.
Mar 23, 2019 1:06 AM

Jan 2011
Even a couple days later I still can't stop thinking about this ep. Amazing animation work, I could feel the rain and wind on my own face.
Mar 24, 2019 4:09 PM
Jan 2016
honestly, hope this director is able to direct a tv show or a full featured film just due to the amount of talent he has. Also love that animation sequence where he saves the baby especially due to the transitions being unique as he is invisible brings out some fantasising animation. Also love the water effects where you can roughly see the shape of his face thing just have been a pain to draw and animate because if done wrong it would have looked awful due to inconsistency.
Mar 26, 2019 1:54 AM

Apr 2016
Yep, the world is full of invisible people, and no ... they dont have any superpowers or anything, its a common thing actually.

I like what this short did.
Mar 28, 2019 11:45 PM

Dec 2015
Obvious but good metaphor, served by a few excellent sequences or ideas.

4/5

Overall:
While the captain of this project failed to prove his point (showing a post-Ghibli start) himself, he had the good idea to follow his own work with a timid but promising try (the 2nd short) and to end the compilation with Yamashita's animation was the best proof it could be.
Score: 5/10 + 7/10 + 8/10 = 6.6+/10

@Stripes Where are those Nishimura speeches you keep mentioning please? Are there reports out there?
Rei_IIIMay 20, 2019 2:59 AM
Apr 1, 2019 3:51 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Rei366 said:

@Stripes Where are those Nishimura speeches you keep mentioning please? Are there reports out there?

I saw this in theaters, the interviews were done by GKIDS the distributors, and were at the end of the film. I tried reading some of the interviews he did with news network and others but they're definitely not as intimate.

He told a story on how the three directors were working basically along side one another in time frame and how they'd prod others in their department to see how the others were doing almost like a competition. It was really insightful all of it and really long? 10-15 and the small crowd that was in my theater all stayed.

They probably will come on the BR but I haven't seen anything on their website about it and they don't include these on their youtube which is kind of a shame.
Apr 3, 2019 5:25 PM

Dec 2016
Easily my favorite of the three, loved pretty much everything about it
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Apr 22, 2019 4:14 PM

Oct 2015
Beautiful visuals and art, Overall great animation. I guess at the end the baby was the one that saw him, really emotional there. I think this was a metaphorical episode, whereby people isolate you because of your lack of presence or aura.

All in all I enjoyed this movie, The crab family, Shun's allergy and the invisible man. The animation was breathtaking along with the art especially the background.

8/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 10, 2019 9:08 PM
Mar 2012
Man his life's depressing, but sprinkled with bits of comedy on that weightlessness, this was a joy to watch. Stylistically very cool with fisheye distortion, unusual camera work, distorted poses, and dynamic flying action.
Sep 7, 2019 11:06 PM

Oct 2016
This was definitely the most interesting of the bunch, with the highest amount of action and the most interesting story, but just like the other two, not much happens. I feel like the 3 stories would benefit from more runtime and higher stakes with more repercussions behind actions. The way they are they compose a just watchable little anthology.
Sep 18, 2019 1:10 PM

Apr 2016
Graphically beautiful, one of the best thing of this episode is the capacity to be serious but also a bit funny. Probably the one I like lesser of the three episodes but it’s nice too.
Sep 20, 2019 8:47 AM

Jul 2012
the egg one was prob the best lol

2 > 3 > 1

giving a 8/10 overall. good shorts!
Nov 5, 2019 2:53 AM

May 2015
Wasn't a huge fan of the other two but this one I enjoyed, if this was a full length show I'd defiantly watch it.
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso is shit
Dec 1, 2019 3:48 AM
Mar 2019
This was my favourite. On its own it is interesting, but what really did it for me was the music in the truck/baby sequence - loud thumping kicks and subtler more delicate tones put together in a nice energetic sequence. I wish I could find more music like that lol. That one scene is gonna bother me for days now!
Feb 2, 2020 5:02 AM

Dec 2014
did anyone else noticed that his hand was visible when he saved the baby
Mar 2, 2020 5:47 PM

May 2019
Perfect short animation, good for fiction, fantasy, adventure or metaphor.

By far the most interesting of the three.
May 26, 2020 6:46 PM

May 2015
That was pretty amazing.
Worthy of an Oscar nomination.
Jun 13, 2020 6:28 PM

Jun 2017
ibraheem234 said:
did anyone else noticed that his hand was visible when he saved the baby

I didn't even notice, I had to rewind to see. I guess that's when he began to feel more human.
Jun 20, 2020 4:41 PM

Jan 2014
Mayuka said:
the egg one was prob the best lol

2 > 3 > 1

giving a 8/10 overall. good shorts!

I agree with this. However I really disliked the first one so 6/10 overall
Jul 3, 2020 9:40 AM

Nov 2010
Loved the art style and animation of this one. Definitely my favourite out of the three films.

I'm not sure how well this succeeded as an anthology film. The different shorts were a bit to different in tone and style for them to really mix well. But I did enjoy all of them to a varying degree.
Jul 22, 2020 7:43 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
The last episode felt intrigueing used some short off an invisible thing a differenciate. However, it still lack some feeling. I don't know. Maybe i am too salty about this film. So, overall i am gonna say this one in 6.

3 separated movie:
Part 1 in 5, part 2 in 8, part 3 in 6. Overall shall be enough in 6/10. Thats it.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 24, 2021 2:00 AM

Mar 2019
The ending was left to interpretation I suppose. My fave episode due to the depiction of workplace dystopia. Since when has it been the dream to work? To feel invisible due to something like hiding depression or social anxiety. Good magic realism either way.
Feb 8, 2021 3:04 PM

Feb 2020
These shorts were great. These are some of the most awesome shorts I have ever scene.
2nd short was my favorite out of the three. while this third one was my least favorite probably because i found connection between invisibility and weightlessness very vague and also while ending can be interpreted as deep, the child came in picture out of nowhere.

Overall I really loved it.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Apr 22, 2021 2:30 AM

Feb 2013
The first two were all right, very pretty and functionally nothing negative about them really.
Invisible was really engaging though, for how short it was it was very very interesting.

I sort of wish they got separate treatment as short films because my rating for Modest Heroes overall can't quite reflect the difference in enjoyment between each.

If anything the film is worth watching just for this 3rd part.
Jan 23, 2022 7:28 PM

Jun 2014
This episode was interesting. To be so invisible that the wind could blow you away is a scary thought. I have a fear of both high ceilings and the sky, so if I look directly up into the sky, I get this feeling that I'm going to be sucked up there, and seeing this reminded me of that.

In the end, it appears that the man was a little more "visible."

These 3 animations were pretty good.

Apr 23, 2022 10:04 AM
Mar 2019
So Invisibility is not all it seems, everyone who has wished for it, Beware!!
At least one act of kindness Baby or not, can make your Day.
May 2, 2022 11:20 AM

Mar 2010
Hmm guess i feel stupid but i didnt get it lol
After reading comments here i can get a grasp but didnt link it to anything yet. But guess its act of kindness makes you visible for a bit? Or being depressed but when shown smile and care they feel visible and awhole again. I dunno it was too vague for me >< did enjoy it however. So 2&3 i enjoyed a lot,1 was visually ok but rest meh.

2>3>1

I give it a 7/10
Jun 25, 2022 1:29 PM
Jul 2018
Nah this shit was goated ong. A Genuine must watch 100%
Jun 19, 2023 6:40 PM
Jan 2021
Esse aqui quase chorei..!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chiisana Eiyuu: Kani to Tamago to Toumei Ningen Episode 2 Discussion

LightQuill - Jan 10, 2019

19 by joshiyomi »»
Sep 30, 2022 6:34 PM

Poll: » Chiisana Eiyuu: Kani to Tamago to Toumei Ningen Episode 1 Discussion

LightQuill - Jan 10, 2019

19 by Gyarutsundere »»
May 2, 2022 10:43 AM

» Does anyone know where I can watch this?

merukomu11 - Mar 19, 2019

7 by Rickyyy007 »»
Aug 15, 2021 8:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.