Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2019 9:33 PM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
"Kanini & Kanino" Episode Discussion

My least favorite out of the three shorts. I do find the river environment absolutely beautiful and there are some tender moments between the two crab children, but damn does it end anticlimactically.

Also that CGI fish is really jarring, kinda reminds me of the 2012 Gyo, lol.
Jan 12, 2019 3:32 PM

Nov 2007
Omg yeah I can see the Gyo comparison as well. I did think the story in this one was pretty lacking but as a visual spectacle, I enjoyed it. Kind of a combo of Ponyo and Arrietty.

Jan 16, 2019 11:23 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I think this was an interesting concept but for some reason didn't flow or feel as complete even for a short. For some reason I knew deep down this was directed by Yonebayashi; all of his works leave me feeling like this was a draft of a final version.

That CGI fish was WOAH though, I'm glad Ponoc is steering into good integration of the medium but it still could use some more polish.
Mar 26, 2019 1:52 AM

Apr 2016
What a happy little crab family.
Mar 28, 2019 10:34 PM
Jan 2016
i don't mind it i probably like it compared to other people, however i don't really see anything too unique compared to his other works ( because he's an established director). I feel like this one out of the 3 needed to be longer tbh.
Mar 28, 2019 11:34 PM

Dec 2015
Like the others:
- great aquatic environment,
- ugly CGI fish, giving it an eerie and alien look that suits the situation well,

3/5 An okay and pretty looking short coming -of-age.

@Stripes Do you think this seems incomplete?

Nerd_Zone1 said:
i don't really see anything too unique compared to his other works ( because he's an established director).

I never noticed something unique in his works.
Mar 29, 2019 12:18 AM
Jan 2016
Rei366 said:
Like the others:
- ugly CGI fish, giving it an eerie and alien look that suits the situation well,

Nerd_Zone1 said:
i don't really see anything too unique compared to his other works ( because he's an established director).

I never noticed something unique in his works.

i think less to do with his characters but his environments example this youtube video does a good job, i kinda discussed it in my review

but here a good video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKSuFYWcSs4&t=231s
Apr 1, 2019 4:00 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Rei366 said:
Like the others:

I'd say it was far too simple. Which is saying something cause I think shorts and simplicity really draws out the creativity. Something like the Pixar shorts with Bao and Kittybull brought me to tears.

I guess the transparency of "i know where this is going" like no way the father is dead and of course the kids find him easily.

The problem with Yonebayashi is that he doesn't tell very unique stories, they have good umbrella concepts which all his directorials are based off books like Arrietty, Marnie, and Mary but his translation of those concepts are weak and have no emotional tug on me whatsoever.

Obviously the man has talent and vision but like I say with most these kinda talents, he needs someone to collaborate with and stay in his lane and pull his strengths.
Apr 3, 2019 3:29 PM

Dec 2016
This is like if A Bug's Life and Finding Nemo combined, and then were made into an anime lol. But man I gotta say in terms of visuals Studio Ponoc did an amazing job and I'm super excited to see how they develop as a studio
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 10, 2019 8:54 PM
Mar 2012
Similar vibe to Arrietty by Yonebayashi, very SOL/travel centric. Minimal dialogue (no translations) may be a good choice to keep the tiny crab people mysterious, but feels like the long sol moments can benefit from some subbed/verbal banter. Simple story of family & survival, with goregeous water scenery. Maybe the very interesting world, crab people culture, & sol are more suitable in feature length or TV.
Sep 7, 2019 9:53 PM

Oct 2016
Beautiful to watch and listen to but it was very lighthearted to the point I felt nothing really happened, on to the second one.
Sep 18, 2019 1:03 PM

Apr 2016
That was good. I liked the river environment because it was really beautiful, especially the water. Moreover, the fish was good.
Sep 23, 2019 3:01 PM

May 2012
Damn that was quite something, especially the second part! Really bittersweet if you ask me! Amazingly animated and quite the story! Really looking forwards to see what the following episodes will offer!
Jan 31, 2020 11:50 PM

Dec 2014
Such beautiful animation... nicely made
Mar 2, 2020 4:57 PM

May 2019
finding nemo meets arrietty.
Nice, although the "bird ex-machina" was a bit forced.
Jul 3, 2020 8:55 AM

Nov 2010
I feel this was made for a very young audience, and beyond the visuals there wasn't much else to enjoy. But the animation was great, especially the water. Bit of a letdown compared to Yonebayashi's other works, but it was still a nice watch with nothing to really complain about.
Jul 22, 2020 6:58 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
I feel stupid enough for nothing to understand the whole story this episode. Its lack the background story, lack of story details, and lack of voice acted to explain everything. Even it had no narrates. What could i do to understand this episode? Nothing. Damn. 2/10 for the storyline. Art, sounds felt nice, but its not enough, 7/10. Character were all a blank dot for me, 3/10. Enjoyment? Thanks for the art, this had a chance to keep in 5 scores. In the end, it should fixed a lot in 4.25
Edit: 5/10 must be good. Plus some addition to show my respect for the decision to had a nice little landscapes there. Thats it.
badabassJul 22, 2020 7:46 AM
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 23, 2022 6:48 PM

Jun 2014
This was quite good. Surviving in nature is a very difficult thing, especially if there are predators that are much larger than you. The visuals were also really well done.

Apr 22, 2022 5:57 PM
Mar 2019
Episode without any need for Subtitles.
The fish looked so scary, thanks to the Crane ( Was it?? ) they survived.
Good opener.
May 2, 2022 10:43 AM

Mar 2010
Hmm i dunno i was a bit bored as it was indeed anticlimatic. If they kept the father dead, it would be a tearjerker. Now it felt a bit meh.. but even then, there was no attachment to any or background to em..
Also cgi fish bothered me too, usually cgi is noticeable but this was beyond just noticeable ><

Nice visuals indeed. But still..
i wont judge yet as there are 2 more shorts :)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chiisana Eiyuu: Kani to Tamago to Toumei Ningen Episode 3 Discussion

LightQuill - Jan 10, 2019

29 by X_Lynn_X »»
Jun 19, 2023 6:40 PM

Poll: » Chiisana Eiyuu: Kani to Tamago to Toumei Ningen Episode 2 Discussion

LightQuill - Jan 10, 2019

19 by joshiyomi »»
Sep 30, 2022 6:34 PM

» Does anyone know where I can watch this?

merukomu11 - Mar 19, 2019

7 by Rickyyy007 »»
Aug 15, 2021 8:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.