Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jan 27, 2019 8:20 AM
Mar 2017
Darn it.. this was so damned good. That ending was like ‘Hey man! Let me just get right in your feels!’ I felt that, I felt it so bad. This show was truly amazing, I enjoyed it so much.

And to who’s grave Hitomi is visiting; I don’t think it matters who’s it is, it’s for everyone to decide that for themselves.
In my opinion it was Yuito’s, though, I wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out to be her mother’s.

As for what I rate the anime: it’s a solid 9/10
-Lex-Jan 27, 2019 8:25 AM
Jan 29, 2019 4:38 AM
Sep 2018
Do you remember this guy?

D3aThKiiDzJan 29, 2019 4:45 AM
Jan 30, 2019 1:51 AM
Jul 2014
Enjoyable show. Sweet visual, and the music. Although we didn't know what happened after it, where's the club members, etc.

Jan 30, 2019 3:58 AM
Sep 2018
Aprodith said:
Enjoyable show. Sweet visual, and the music. Although we didn't know what happened after it, where's the club members, etc.

May be not a Yuito's grave because Hitomi said to Kohaku "I want to find my mom and talk to her" i don't about her mom still alive or gone?
Jan 30, 2019 7:17 AM

Apr 2011
What a bittersweet ending. It was good, but if it has 1 more cour, I think it would have been much better.

THe quality, the colors, animations, background iwhere so beautiful. Its top tier. But the story felt it was crammed nearing the end.

Anyway, it was one heck of a magical and emotional ride.

8/10
Jan 30, 2019 7:49 AM
Jul 2018
I really liked it. ❤
It might had a too long part in the middle, but I liked the first two, three episodes and the last three the most.

That was really an emotional ending and I liked the bound they formed together.
The idea with the pictiure book was pretty great with very good and emotional visuals to back it up.

I'm so glad that Hitomi is finally able to see colors again and they did a really good job with keeping the color-symbolism throughout the whole story.

Now I'm sad, because of the grave-scene. :(
Jan 31, 2019 1:45 PM

Oct 2008
This was a pretty interesting watch. I was really glad that they actually wrapped up the story and gave it a proper ending, it was bittersweet but very fitting. I really wish they spent a bit more time on the future time line before and after the travel back, especially after would have been a good addition to see what all happened to everyone after the 60 years.
Jan 31, 2019 2:15 PM

Dec 2008
sXeblues said:
It was very much a happy, satisfying ending, if you cared anything for Hitomi’s emotional journey of self redemption, and finding herself... Those who wished to see Yuito travel to the future with her, must be forgetting how dangerous such a proposition would be — as we saw via Hitomi herself disappearing into limbo, which might’ve seen her lost forever. I’m glad she and Yuito didn’t kiss, because it shows both of them were mature enough not to pretend there could ever be anything there, even as badly as they wished for it.

Yes, I might’ve liked to explicitly see what the gang was up to, once she returned back to her own time. But, it did well enough to satisfy me with what they did show. (And no, that was NOT Yuito’s grave. It was Hitomi’s mother’s grave.)
Overall, this was a great series. I’m gonna miss it.

I gotta disagree with you-it was Yuito's grave and the general consensus is the same.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Feb 2, 2019 1:39 AM

Jan 2015
zrdb said:
I gotta disagree with you-it was Yuito's grave and the general consensus is the same.

You’re certainly free to disagree... But, whatever the consensus bears doesn’t matter one iota. It’s open to interpretation, until something official says otherwise.
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Feb 5, 2019 8:24 AM

Jan 2014
whoaa, that's a time paradox right?

Kohaku send her to past, then after all the events. she came back to the future just after she left. back home, and there's time capsule prepared for her, including a colored book from Aoi.

Hitomi said that's the only book she can see the colors. doesn't it mean, Kohaku already have the memories of Hitomi in the past even before she sent Hitomi?
Feb 5, 2019 4:39 PM

Sep 2011
Rorek said:

How did I not notice...? I did however thought of book store guy being Hitomi's grandfather for like the last 2-3 episodes, and I was right. Hitomi noticed it as well in the previous episode, but she probably didn't want to mention it.
Still, what I wonder about is why if Kohaku obviously knew all this about Hitomi's mom (at least I think she learnt if from her in the present) then why didn't she try to connect with her daughter (Hitomi's mom) more to ensure that she wouldn't leave Hitomi due to "jealousy"? Maybe fate couldn't be altered or time paradox or something...

Anyway, this was a great last episode, the only thing I missed was Hitomi not meeting anybody else. I mean she only visited one grave, probably Yuito's, so I guess the others might still be alive. It would have been fun to see them reunite, and not just their granddaughters as we saw now.

As for the whole show, I felt like it was a very mixed bag of great and boring/unnecessary scenes and episodes. I think the first few were pretty boring other than the premise of her colorblindness, which felt like a pretty fresh idea. Kohaku's arrival once again lifted the story, as I found her and Asagi the best characters here. Hitomi is okay, and got better by the end, but unfortunately I often found her to be too bland for me. The others were all decent, nothing much, not even Yuito, who seemed to be similar to Hitomi in being a bit boring to watch.
The middle episodes were also slow and really unnecessary with the pointless love triangle that had no place in the story. Yuito's and Hitomi's relationship was more than enough, and perhaps they could show Shou and Asagi and the other two become closer or something.
The last 2-3 episodes were once again quite good, mostly thanks to the story and some great scenes like the paper plane, the end of the previous episode, and the second half of this last episode.

I wish we were shown more of the magic used in this world. I liked the idea of it being an everyday stuff you can just buy and nobody really bats an eye. The magic time clock thing was a pretty cool design as well. I would have just wanted to see a bit more of what they use these for. Hell I would have loved a series just with Kohaku and her shenanigans and adventures.

All in all, I liked the anime, but I can't say it grew on me as much as I would have hoped. I considered an 8, but I'll have to give it a 7/10 when I think about the boring episodes and bland characters we had most of the time. The main story and its premise, the ending itself and Kohaku (and Asagi) were all that made me interested mostly, so I'm happy to have went on this ride, but I can only wish the anime would have used more of its potential.
Feb 6, 2019 2:20 PM

May 2012
Quite a lovely ending and conclusion of this story I must say! Really liked it quite well, and the fact that the main "problem" of her not seeing the world in colour got resolved sure was quite lovely to see!

The anime had its ups and downs to be honest, as it was a bit lacking around the middle but then got back good on track near the end.

So all in all a pretty solid anime I must say!
Feb 6, 2019 4:48 PM
Oct 2012
RazielZero said:
Rorek said:

How did I not notice...? I did however thought of book store guy being Hitomi's grandfather for like the last 2-3 episodes, and I was right. Hitomi noticed it as well in the previous episode, but she probably didn't want to mention it.
Still, what I wonder about is why if Kohaku obviously knew all this about Hitomi's mom (at least I think she learnt if from her in the present) then why didn't she try to connect with her daughter (Hitomi's mom) more to ensure that she wouldn't leave Hitomi due to "jealousy"? Maybe fate couldn't be altered or time paradox or something...

Anyway, this was a great last episode, the only thing I missed was Hitomi not meeting anybody else. I mean she only visited one grave, probably Yuito's, so I guess the others might still be alive. It would have been fun to see them reunite, and not just their granddaughters as we saw now.

As for the whole show, I felt like it was a very mixed bag of great and boring/unnecessary scenes and episodes. I think the first few were pretty boring other than the premise of her colorblindness, which felt like a pretty fresh idea. Kohaku's arrival once again lifted the story, as I found her and Asagi the best characters here. Hitomi is okay, and got better by the end, but unfortunately I often found her to be too bland for me. The others were all decent, nothing much, not even Yuito, who seemed to be similar to Hitomi in being a bit boring to watch.
The middle episodes were also slow and really unnecessary with the pointless love triangle that had no place in the story. Yuito's and Hitomi's relationship was more than enough, and perhaps they could show Shou and Asagi and the other two become closer or something.
The last 2-3 episodes were once again quite good, mostly thanks to the story and some great scenes like the paper plane, the end of the previous episode, and the second half of this last episode.

I wish we were shown more of the magic used in this world. I liked the idea of it being an everyday stuff you can just buy and nobody really bats an eye. The magic time clock thing was a pretty cool design as well. I would have just wanted to see a bit more of what they use these for. Hell I would have loved a series just with Kohaku and her shenanigans and adventures.

All in all, I liked the anime, but I can't say it grew on me as much as I would have hoped. I considered an 8, but I'll have to give it a 7/10 when I think about the boring episodes and bland characters we had most of the time. The main story and its premise, the ending itself and Kohaku (and Asagi) were all that made me interested mostly, so I'm happy to have went on this ride, but I can only wish the anime would have used more of its potential.

Correct me if im wrong, but I dont think hitomi ever said anything about the future, including why she was sent back to the young kohaku. So that means kohaku knows nothing about her future daughter/son and his/her broken family, and she also knows nothing about the reason why Hitomi ended up that way.

You can imagine how Kohaku felt when she apologizes to Hitomi at last eps when she said 'I do magic for people's happiness.. but I couldn't even do that for the people important to me'. That scene definitely made me tear up a bit. But....! the one that finished it up for me was when Kohaku said 'It was also an important memories for me.. now I can finally share it with you' .. definitely made me wept with that sentences and the photobooks shown to Hitomi

and.. honestly the romance in this show was shit and i wish they wouldnt force it to happen in the first place, but the other things in this show was great (at least to me)
Feb 6, 2019 8:24 PM

Dec 2008
Let's see-a time travel romantic slice of life coming of age science fiction anime series. I think that about covers all the bases-still it was damn good. It was my 2nd favorite series of the season.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Feb 9, 2019 1:46 PM
Dec 2018
ina-astral said:
Correct me if im wrong, but I dont think hitomi ever said anything about the future, including why she was sent back to the young kohaku. So that means kohaku knows nothing about her future daughter/son and his/her broken family, and she also knows nothing about the reason why Hitomi ended up that way.
I think you are probably on the right track. While Yuito got the whole story, it is never explictly shown what Kohaku and her family knew beyond that Hitomi was her grandaughter, was colorblind (not from birth), granny Kohaku sent her back and she didn't know what to do. Young Kohaku did tell Hitomi to not tell her the future because she didn't want to know. I am curious about the letter Granny K sent to her family in the past and what it said?

RazielZero said:

... I'm happy to have went on this ride, but I can only wish the anime would have used more of its potential.

I agree, I would like that to. Though perhaps we could see a more upbeat Hitomi getting into trouble with magic at school like Granny did and Granny Kohaku having to apologize, cue..."This seems familiar to me." Way too many unresolved questions and such a bittersweet ending for my taste.
WinterGR4Feb 10, 2019 6:12 AM
Feb 15, 2019 7:42 AM
Jun 2014
Rofl. Typical japanese shit it seems. Girl has problems. Guy spends time to help fix her problems. With problems fixed its "sayonara, guy!". Guy has sad times ahead.
Feb 17, 2019 2:53 PM
Feb 2012
I need to say that this time-travel shit was surprisingly well done (no paradoxes spotted). Though I can't believe that once Hitomi was born, not a single past-crew member came to simply BE there for her (fixing her childhood would be a paradox, but come on, can't you have a nice uncle/aunt??). And I don't believe that in advanced future all no-magical people die before level 77.
Plus we don't know whose grave it was, if it's her's mother's then what, if you cannot do magic you're bound to die early? Kill yourself? WTF?
That's good there're no paradoxes... but I feel like it could've been done better.
Feb 17, 2019 8:42 PM

Aug 2013
Forgot to give my thoughts on the show after it ended.

I honestly thought it was fucking terrific. I know some people complained about their being too much "going on" in the show, with the magic/romance/photography/art etc all being present in one show. But I think all of those different things fit together well with the way they were trying to tell the story. She couldn't see color. What better way to express her lack thereof, than by being in an art/photography club, something which has color at it's very core? And her lack of friends in the present day gives being in the club a reason. She doesn't like magic? Well she's put in situations where she has to learn it in order to overcome her past.

And I just love the way it all came together. Kohaku was waiting her whole life to send Hitomi back in the past to experience all of this so she could finally share those memories with her. It was Yuito who wrote the picture book, based on their group of friends that would fill her childhood memories. It was her first experience with romance and friendship that allowed her to finally break out of her shell.

There were a couple of parts that got me choked up, but I think the one subtle detail that had me wide-eyed when I noticed it was during the goodbye scene. Everyone was saying their goodbyes to Hitomi and it was "oh I'll miss you, I'll write to the future you etc". Then it gets to Yuito's turn and he was just going to brush it off with a light goodbye. And immediately Kohaku says to him "are you alright with that? You'll never get another chance". Then when Hitomi awakes back in the present and talks with Kohaku about everything, you then see her with flowers going to visit a grave, which is most certainly Yuito's.
So whether or not through magic, a premonition, or a coincidence, Kohaku had essentially already known that Yuito wouldn't be alive when Hitomi would return to her time. She didn't say that to anybody else in the group, and they're all more or less the same age.

I really think the only thing the show could've done better was presenting Hitomi's internal conflict with her mother better, since they didn't touch on really until they needed to, so it felt like it kind of came out of nowhere. I also would've liked to have seen maybe one brief scene with Hitomi seeing everyone who was still alive when they were elderly. Yuito is the only one we know for sure died, and they're all the same age or within a year or two of Kohaku, so I can't imagine they'd all be dead as well.

Other than that I think this was a wonderful show from PA Works. It definitely wasn't as good as Nagi no Asukara, but I know that PA has been looking to try and recreate that kind of magic masterpiece ever since and I think they finally found it. Sakura Quest and Shirobako were great shows as well but those are kind of their own genres and own separate projects. They failed really REALLY hard with Glasslip when they were trying to make another NnA level show, but I think this attempt was a much better success. Honestly I think that this show was what they originally wanted Glasslip to be before that shit fell apart, because the two shows share a lot of similarities, it's just they were executed and written entirely different.
Feb 23, 2019 5:16 PM

Oct 2012
Not a bad ending, I kinda liked this series. Some things were left unexplained but maybe that's for the better. A lot of things were already dealt with before anyway.

So her mother is dead, eh? Now I kinda understand where her childhood trauma came from. Pretty interesting her grandad was actually the man from library, the scene where she met him when he brought the time crystal pretty much gave that away, nice moment. Wonder if everyone else got together but that's probably given, only Yuito was left alone on his way of children book illustrator but that's okay I guess.

All in all, not a bad watch. I kinda though the last episode would be tearjerker but it stayed firmly on the ground instead which is also fine. And subtle hints are always better than full fledged explanations I guess.

7/10 In the end it was pleasant series, not something overly special but good slice of life to watch.
Feb 26, 2019 7:37 AM
Mar 2017
It was kind of boring in the beginning and now I'm crying.
PA WORKS always playing with our feelings.

8/10
Feb 28, 2019 5:57 AM

Jun 2011
ugh, this series has been trash since episode 4, I can't even begin to describe my disappointment.

first off, the romance tag is a friggin scam. Screw not having them end up together just for some dramatic sob ending shit and "omg see how she has developed, she can live by herself now without depending on the friends she made in the past"

Then, ever since episode 4, the series has been very, and I mean, almost event by event generic. There have been hints that it would come to that eventually in earlier episodes but I was hoping it wouldn't. Shou fell in love with Hitomi because reasons, Asagi has always liked Shou cuz childhood, drama drama, confess, drama, rejection, more drama, and then the now we buddy buddy conclusion. The show is also forcing the Kurumi x Chigusa pairing way too hard, it's like every other generic romance where they force everyone in the group of friends to have a relationship with each other..

Then it all comes down to our main pairing, Hitomi and Yuito, like good lord I didn't even know when did they fall in love with each other, it's like, it was building towards it, but it's missing quite a couple of steps and just skipped right to it.

And lastly, the events. It's the generic
ep 10 - we're gonna have a cry fest ending
ep 11 - building towards it, tried to find solution to no avail
ep 12 - school festival lets enjoy our time for the last time
ep 13 - confession time, crying time, and one last farewell

the cringiest part is everyone had to voice their thoughts about her, like "omg look we've been through so much look at the weeks that we've spent together" in public. :l I've seen exactly the same scenario in plenty other generic anime out there. It just makes me cringe at how blatant they are at copy pasting the exact progression of a typical romance series.

I really thought this was gonna be pretty decent, well maybe with a happier ending. It just seems like a visual novel type of series where there's interaction with almost everyone equally and there's barely any time to build on the romance between the 2 main leads. Some of the events make no sense too as pointed out by several other members already in the episode discussion threads.

Absolutely disappointing. Studio/writers are too afraid of getting out of their comfort zone and actually write something that has unique properties of its own. After introducing a fairly unique premise, it went back to its normal formula of writing a romance series. I however, didn't mind how they dealt with Hitomi's problems though.
ToG25thBaamFeb 28, 2019 6:05 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 28, 2019 7:32 PM

Jun 2014
This was surprisingly good. 8/10

It really took advantage of the fact that it is an original anime, the visual presentation and the use of magic with the whole color theme was beautiful. The characters were likable and seeing their journey together suddenly come to an end was quite sad. It sucks when you finally find a place where you belong, you form some strong bonds with people and it's all ripped away from you, very cruel and bittersweet.

I really enjoyed Hitomi Tsukishiro as the protagonist, her seiyuu did a great job at bringing her to life.
alpha_shadowApr 2, 2019 3:33 PM
:3
Mar 3, 2019 7:15 AM

Mar 2015
I agree with everyone else, while at halfway the series lost itself, the last couple of episodes were very good, this one in special made my eyes a bit teary.

i think this would be a perfect show for Okada, it has her name written all over it, a shame she was not involved.
Mar 10, 2019 1:18 PM

Jun 2013
I though it was decent time travel show. And as with most if not all time travel shows I knew it was going to have a sad ending. But I just wished they worked more on character development and romance which felt kind of dull.

I would've like if they showed Hitomi meeting Yuito(assuming he is alive) after retuning from the past just to thank him for the picture book and maybe the other characters. At least that would've made the ending more meaningful instead of her just moving on with her life.
Apr 2, 2019 7:39 AM

Apr 2017
I wasnt planning to post anything about this show but i cant help it now i have to write something.
First of all i think it was an okay show overall. There were many times i got bored and there were many times i watched without any enjoyment but overally i liked watching it.
The last episode made me cry so bad. While Hitomi was reading the children art book i was just crying and couldnt even hear what she was telling (i should go watch that part again). I guess it was because i had many partings in my life and all of them affected me a lot. I just couldnt understand how they managed to live their lives happily ever after. I mean yeah they cant show hitomi being sad for a long time in an anime which has only 13 episodes but i was just disappointed. The anime managed to make me feel the emotions really well but i think it couldnt manage to show those emotions enough. I would expect to see more drama (lol). And after that Hitomi started a new life with the colours that her friends gave her. That was a really nice motive for her and gave a lot of meaning to the anime.

Secondly,
i would want to see the group in the future. Even for a minute, they should have shown up.
Apr 26, 2019 10:39 AM

Aug 2018
Hm, final words from every single one.. Interesting..
Em.. Still that opening up and being happy despite leaving.. Not relatable..
If nothing more is revealed.. I don't like grandma deciding to help Hitomi risking all her life.. She could disappear.. There were other ways to experience things she experienced.. And it's also questionable thing to present in anime at all, that you can only be fixed by being sent to the past.. There are other ways.. Changing place, having new relationships.. All these things are accessible right now..
Overall, anime very very enjoyable, made to think, and without traveling back psychological, moral, or however you'd call aspect - it was a good anime.. About relationships.. Motivation.. World of colors.. Worlds of art.. Being confident or not.. Having heavy feelings.. Running away.. Sometimes they weren't colored (as in seen from view or perspective) as I see them, but sometimes I got even maybe new colors, who knows.. Or refreshing with all kinds of them, whether I saw these colors or not, was nice as well.. Overall, yeah, really enjoyable.. ;p
May 4, 2019 12:03 AM
Apr 2019
not bad at all

7.5/10

edit: I forgot Old Kohaku sending Hitomi back to the past because another Hitomi was sent by another different Old Kohaku to Old Kohaku of episode 1 when she was still young creates a paradox right?
newbie001May 5, 2019 1:28 AM
May 15, 2019 1:07 PM

Jan 2012
And so Hitomi completes her time traveling journey with her colors restored, and fond memories of the friends she made along the way. Boy that last episode had my emotions running overtime. I was teary eyed from start to finish, very powerful. And I think it's doubly surprising because this wasn't a particularly unique or daring series. Nearly everything that happened from a story and romantic aspect was predictable, but it was done well enough that I just couldn't help but fall under its emotional influence. Normally I don't really like romance drama, or doomed romances from beyond time, and while I don't think I'll ever bring myself to revisit this series I'm glad I experienced it at least once. Perhaps I'm being generous, but in this moment, fresh off the ride that was that ending, I want to give this an 8/10 so I think I will.
May 18, 2019 2:48 AM
Mar 2019
Really love how the end turn out to be, tho i didn't cry as much as the ppl that i see, it was still a very heartwarming fantastical anime

Yuito has become a very big part of hitomi world POV, thanks god she finally can see the colour (permanently) the time capsule was really emotional, is great that hitomi become more open to other and herself and finally achieved happiness! (You go girl!)

Overall this anime was a nice refresher, with a very spectacular art and music, the story may not be the best, but it was still good. Overall i'll give it 9/10 ^0^
Jun 8, 2019 12:45 PM

Oct 2013
Just gonna throw it out there, this show is boring af, but the last couple episodes were good tho. Slow character development and not even a kiss in the end *sighs*

i mean i didn't expect anything from an overly timid MCs, both Yuito and Hitomi, pretty suprised that they hugged in the end at least they progressed that far.

The only enjoyable thing of this show is the art and the penguin story in the end, like literally the penguin story tops the whole show, wtf

I don't mind bitter sweet ending in fact i like it just like Angel Beats and Your Lie in April, but to watch a show with slow character developments followed by bittersweet ending is just painfull to watch, almost drop this show halfway cuz of how boring it was, also both Yuito and Hitomi aren't talkative. As if the authors tryna force it into their storyline.

So i'm presumming it was Yuito's grave since we knew her dad is still alive and her mom ran off somewhere.

At least Hitomi is happy in the end, but the show is meh. that much is appreciatable

Overall score 5/10

Jun 16, 2019 5:06 PM

Jul 2015
Literally nothing happened in 13 episodes.
Definitely the most overrated show of 2018.

Jun 17, 2019 6:33 AM

Apr 2017
I see this anime is about someone's redemption, Kohaku Level 77's expression hits home. It must be tough for her.
Jun 21, 2019 12:08 PM

May 2009
I'm greedy and going to say that I really wished that we could see Hitomi visit the grandpa and grandma gang. I would especially be interested to see her visiting Yuito.

Overall an anime with ups and downs. Terrific animation/drawing/details, but storywise not an anime with astonishing progression or exciting story (until the last couple of episodes).

Still enjoyable for me. 7/10
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Jun 25, 2019 4:27 AM

Sep 2008
It was good but I'm not too happy with this ending. A lot of things were left unsaid or felt unfinished.

I wanted to see something begin to develop between Asagi and Shou. Asagi was my favourite character and it's disappointing to see that nothing actually happened.

Also I thought Yuito's father would have some relevance to this story since it seemed like he was the reason Yuito continued to draw after winning that award with the fish. But then they didn't even mention this stuff again and we don't know what happened to him. Maybe I missed something or forgot something since I had an 8 month gap in the middle of watching this, but why did Yuito even lose his motivation to draw? Why did he become so unhappy with everything? I don't remember them ever explaining it.
Jul 2, 2019 5:25 AM

Sep 2012
watched last part, main ends alone, well then its not worth seeing, i like happy enndings in romance incuding ships sailing, at least hints of it like 2 are still close at the end but still friendzoned due their shiness or lack of confidance like few show couples i know
Jul 14, 2019 1:16 PM

Jan 2016
here my scores:
art 10/10
ost 7/10
story 6/10
enjoyment 5/10

overall score 6/10
i think Hitomi visited Yuito's grave because her mother was alive
Jul 29, 2019 2:44 PM
May 2013
this really dragged on for like 3/4 of its run, but i'll be damned if the final stretch of 3 episodes didn't steal a 7/10 from me out of thin air.

seriously, by the time it was made clear that the MC's fate was unavoidable everyone just kicked into fourth gear and jumped from stupid scaredy cats to honest, easy-to-cheer-for characters that actually gave their feelings a freaking try. and what a powerful conclusion.
Aug 13, 2019 12:51 AM

Feb 2018
Good soundtrack xD. Good bye Yuito.
Sep 15, 2019 11:56 PM
Jan 2016
I didnt quite understand the final
1- So the club makes like a time capsule box that Hitomi can check 60 years on the future right so the visite of Hitomi didnt change their temporal line.
2- The book that Hitomi readed as a child is based on her story and was made by Yuito if he handed the book being a teenager like we see on the episode would be quite impossible maybe he gifted the book to her being an old man already and she saw the colors on the book cause they were connected and destined to meet on her future but Yuito already knew that so he handed the book as a clue?.
3- The Tomb that Hitomi visites at the end of the chapter does someone know from who is it? And how can she still see the fish made by Yuito?
Sep 29, 2019 8:26 PM
Jan 2019
I think this anime deserves far more credit than it has- its something I've noticed more and more. Some 8 star animes haven't been great but lower scoring ones have. Perhaps it's down to lack of publicity.

This anime would have been even better if they at least got a glimpse of each other in the end. Its obvious to say the grave was his and that made for a gut wrenching ending into a refreshing romance anime.
Oct 3, 2019 9:29 AM

Nov 2012
Stormen said:
Rofl. Typical japanese shit it seems. Girl has problems. Guy spends time to help fix her problems. With problems fixed its "sayonara, guy!". Guy has sad times ahead.

I also agree to this. Haha
Oct 27, 2019 4:08 PM
Feb 2009
What a bittersweet ending it was quite sad that we didn't see Yuito in the future
Nov 28, 2019 8:12 AM

Dec 2010
One of the better PA Slice-of-Life works.

Rorek said:
Asagi&Shou and Kurumi&Chigusa Granddaughter
Whoa, I missed this one, I'm giving a bonus point for Chigusa winning over Kurumi.

1. Characters: 0.5 | I guess? There were a few characters I liked, like Shou and Chigusa, but the show didn't really have enough runtime to make me care a little bit more about people like Kurumi.
2. Atmosphere: +1 | PA works has always excelled with the feel their Slice-Of-Life-ish settings. Also, as always I'm a sucker for soft-blending magic into contemporary culture.
3. OST: +0.5 | Great ED, unquestionably the best one I heard from this Season. The OP was decent, and I guess that the score overall was okay too.
P.S. Actually I went and watched the ED after the final episode and I can say that if they had played in the end, it would have a much greater impact than the optimistic vibe that the opening song tried to convey in the end. I get that they tried to make us feel better about the completely sad resolution of Hitomi's magical journey, but the ED actually contains the essence of her journey and that of the finale itself as well. If the ED or some variation was played during the finale, I think that I would have given a full point for the score.
4. Animation: +1 | Nothing much to say here, the characters were well-drawn, the magic effects were beautiful, and "surprisingly" the show was full of bright colours which I usually like.
5. Background story: +0.5 | It was nice that we got some barebone backstory about Hitomi and a few other characters too, but it wasn't anything that great and honestly the story would work even without explaining those.
6. Storyline: +0.5 | I guess that people are right when they say that this show could use a 2-cour runtime to help better with Hitomi's progression. You can see the usual limitations of the modern 1-cour restriction, but then again even what we got wasn't half-bad. Maybe just a bit rushed.
7. Ending: 0.5 | I would lie if I say that I liked the ending. I understand the implications of giving us a full happy ending, but I can't just pretend that I'm okay with the story discarding every important character, save for Kohaku, from Hitomi's life, when every single one of those people helped her become the person she is in the end.
8. Drama: +0.5 | Yeah, it's really sad that Hitomi had to grow at the expense of forever being separated from every single one of her first friends, including her first love. But in a soft magical story like this, the writer can actually amend those issues to at least some extent, instead of using Magic just to move the plot forward.
9. Overall affect: +1 | This show is definitely more than a sum of its parts. There's at least a few things I don't like about it, but overall I actually loved the experience of following this story. I liked the past school setting so much with all of Hitomi's friends, I loved the Ending always reminding us of the issues Hitomi is suffering from even after the happiest episodes, and of course reminding us of the impending doom of her first happy experience in life.
10. Bonus Point: +1 | As I mentioned, Chigusa winning Kurumi made me feel just a bit better about this sad finale and the show in general. I really liked his character even though he was the least explored one. He managed to convey himself better through actions than most others through clear explanations and explorations.
7/10 is actually a bit more than I thought I would give it first, because I still hate the bittersweet finale for the most part, but at the same time 6/10 would be downplaying it, I guess.
Dec 10, 2019 7:17 PM
Jul 2018
need sson 2 ಥ‿ಥ
Jan 28, 2020 12:02 PM
Apr 2019
A good ending fitting for the series, the confession scene was emotional without being overly dramatic. In the end, Hitomi and Yuito broke down the walls that prevented them from growing and progressing. Yuito regained the illusion for painting, and Hitomi the perception of color, and thus the ability to open up to the world and be reconciled with her feelings. Hitomi returned to her present time with a much more positive attitude than when she travelled to the past.

Regarding the grave Hitomi visits, I believe that both possibilities are feasible and, in the absence of evidence, we can only speculate. Perhaps this was the intention of the author, who knows. I am inclined to think it's the mother's because of the conversation Hitomi had with her grandmother about wanting to visit and talk to her.

Overall the series was quite enjoyable. The artistic part was beatifully executed. The story was interesting, but I think it could have been better, for I'd have liked the psychological sides of Hitomi and Yuito were further explored and a more in-depth approach to the reasons for the depression of the former and the insecurities of the latter.
Feb 17, 2020 3:06 PM

Jul 2019
Time travel, romance, and its problems. Might sound cliche and you probably would already know how it will end. However it has portioned everything well. Like they could have went for something more emotional in the end but they didn't because it doesnt suit at all imo. Credit for them on that because I've seen shows forcing it just for the sake of making a sad impression on the ending. And people somehow rate them high because of that. The show plays like it knows what the audiences is thinking while they're watching it. And it knows itself that people has watched something like this before. Thats why it did well. A nicelg executed show that needs to be appreciated. A cheeky 8/10 for me.
Mar 1, 2020 12:31 AM

Oct 2019
Ah another eye candy show from P.A Works. Good visual, good musics and good ending where everyone had a good time. Except maybe Yuito, nobody knows whether he got someone to marry or ended up as a lonely gramp. Thanks to him our female mc didn't color blind anymore and becomes lively as ever.

But seriously, good job to PA as they didn't try to make asspull having Yuito coming with Hitomi to the future and making forced happy ending.
I wasn't sure how romance bloom between Hitomi and Yuito to begin with, I thought on their first encounter, she only attached with his drawing because it has colors but then she started to blush everytime she see him.
But well, good for them.

Solid 7/10 from me.
andrearionaMar 1, 2020 3:42 AM
Mar 5, 2020 5:48 PM

Jan 2011
I think they could have built on some things a bit more, but the ambiguity does have a certain charm.
Apr 2, 2020 5:30 PM
Oct 2009
SailorJenny95 said:
Rorek said:
Asagi&Shou and Kurumi&Chigusa Granddaughter

I’d like to think it’s true! Even if it’s not I’m going to assume it is!

Anyway I loved this show. Shed a few tears. I just wish we knew more about what happened to the whole gang as adults. I’m assuming that was Yuitos grave at the end? Or was it her mother’s?

There isn't a single hint that they are Asagi&Shou and Kurumi&Chigusa Granddaughters, but you can find some resemblance, so i think it's lef for your imagination, however i find it hardly to believe that everyone lived happily ever after exept ... Too bad they haven't all met, as Kohaku said most of all her frieds passed away, but you think that a shop owner who was much older is still alive and wells as Kohaku's husbend ? There were no hints that Aoi met someone and was happy, kind of sad.
Apr 9, 2020 10:31 AM
Aug 2019
why so sad :') ı hate sad endings ı cant take it (╥_╥) ı want alternative ending
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 21, 2018

72 by basskiller »»
Dec 1, 2023 8:27 PM

Poll: » Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 14, 2018

97 by basskiller »»
Nov 28, 2023 5:18 PM

Poll: » Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

62 by basskiller »»
Nov 26, 2023 11:29 PM

Poll: » Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 30, 2018

114 by basskiller »»
Nov 25, 2023 7:28 PM

Poll: » Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 23, 2018

60 by basskiller »»
Nov 24, 2023 11:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.