Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 17, 2018 10:36 PM

Jul 2016
Another good episode. So, it seems Anti can deal with lots of Kaiju in a better way than Gridman dealing with only one. Go Gridnight! His scenes in this episode were really nice.

Also, Utsumi received some good character development although it's a bit late for me to care about him. I have always seen him as a "third wheel" in the series so unfortunately, this development won't change my mind about him either.

The revelation regarding Yuuta was good although I wonder why he was the chosen one in the first place. I hope we receive some more background information about him before Gridman took his body and before waking up in Rikka's house in ep. 1.

One more ep. to go. I'm really looking forward to seeing a possible fusion between Gridman and Gridknight for the final battle. If that's the case, it will be awesome.
Dec 18, 2018 5:27 AM

Jun 2017
Lol, Yuuta being connected to junk, only to be revealed that it was only Gridman dwelling inside of Yuuta, lolwut. The only thing that I liked was Akane getting turned into a Kaiju, you deserved that you Pathetic excuse of a God, your thiccness redeems you though.... Will this become a trainwreck or will it redeem itself? Find out what happens next in the last and final episode.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Dec 18, 2018 7:32 AM

Apr 2014
anyone know whats the song at 15:30?
Dec 18, 2018 9:46 AM

Dec 2015
This episode made me remember why this show was one of the worst of the season when it only had 3 episodes. Extremely boring direction, random plot twists in order to make the show look clever (but it's just lazy writing), random characters relationships and drama (for real, every subplot of this episode was just created, instead of being a following of previous episodes) and of course, a lot of cringe mecha fights
BetterTasteDec 18, 2018 9:50 AM
Dec 18, 2018 12:34 PM

Jan 2013
thiago52192 said:
This episode made me remember why this show was one of the worst of the season when it only had 3 episodes. Extremely boring direction, random plot twists in order to make the show look clever (but it's just lazy writing), random characters relationships and drama (for real, every subplot of this episode was just created, instead of being a following of previous episodes) and of course, a lot of cringe mecha fights
Yeah say this but never elaborate.
How were the mecha fights "cringe"?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Dec 21, 2018 1:09 PM

Dec 2010
This is a really good anime but if I am to consider the emotional side of this show it is just okay and nothing more. The tension is pretty low. Compared to DitF I do not care about those characters. Also the backstory and their past is definitely lacking.

But the plot is coherent this time and you can absolutely feel that they put a lot effort to make the scenario decent and cohesive. So compared to DitF, Gridman is better written and composed.

The plot twists are pretty sparse if you ask me. And most of the time they are nothing spectacular. No idea why people are complaining about this.

Cabron said:
thiago52192 said:
Yeah say this but never elaborate.
How were the mecha fights "cringe"?

The mecha fights are pretty good. Fluid and fast with a lot of things happening. Almost every fight incorporate something new, be it flying or rockets or combining etc. Not a mech expert but you can`t do it much better IMO. And they aren`t overstaying their welcome. No point in hating. Or maybe just nitpicking. But then one should know better than starting a mecha anime if they will hate it.
Dec 22, 2018 12:29 AM

May 2016
Going pretty smoothly so far hope the finale will be good.
Dec 22, 2018 11:16 AM

Jul 2008
So Yuta was never Yuta....huh. Well the craziness keeps going, and I hope the don't choke with the finale.
Dec 23, 2018 9:10 PM

Oct 2008
Another great episode!
Gridknight Calibur is so awesome!
Yuta is back, but it's the consciousness of gridman instead!
LOL the mom of Rikka witnessed everything and accepted it like nothing! badass mom!
So looks Akane would be the turned into a kaiju herself! what a sly alien!
5/5.

Dec 27, 2018 12:50 PM

Oct 2013
Oh shit... final boss Akane? The only character in this series I genuinely care about is going to RIP in the finale probably. :'(

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 1, 2019 4:20 PM

Dec 2015
Obviously , it had to come to a fight with Akane... What is it going to be? A big speech to persuade her that she has peoples for her?

4/5

@thiago52192 The direction seems "boring" because it's notably reminiscent of Anno's work on Evangelion, I guess. (I was myself a bit annoyed by the way it seems to do nothing more than borrow from Eva's scenes/style to sometimes do nothing interested with it)

Farabeuf said:

Although I'm well aware about the weird priorities and worldview of MAL'ers, it still surprises me that a show like this can rank almost a point and a half lower than Slime. Shouldn't they be around the same?

I guess this was helped thanks to the lack of broadcast in other countries? At least, I didn't find any broadcaster here in France.

@Farabeuf Not at all, the potential audience has probably been judged too restricted. Apart from the sherifs, Bioman series and Jiban (armored police), no tokusatsu was ever broadcasted here. And that was back in the 80s/very early 90s.
Rei_IIIJan 2, 2019 7:46 AM
Jan 2, 2019 7:42 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Rei366 said:
Obviously , it had to come to a fight with Akane... What is it going to be? A big speech to persuade her that she has peoples for her?

4/5

@thiago52192 The direction seems "boring" because it's notably reminiscent of Anno's work on Evangelion, I guess. (I was myself a bit annoyed by the way it seems to do nothing more than borrow from Eva's scenes/style to sometimes do nothing interested with it)

Farabeuf said:

Although I'm well aware about the weird priorities and worldview of MAL'ers, it still surprises me that a show like this can rank almost a point and a half lower than Slime. Shouldn't they be around the same?

I guess this was helped thanks to the lack of broadcast in other countries? At least, I didn't find any broadcaster here in France.

As far as I can understand MAL's rankings, the location and total number of a shows viewers shouldn't affect its score so I doubt it's that, but what do I know?
Has the series not been licensed in any French speaking country?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 4, 2019 9:15 PM

Mar 2016
Farabeuf said:
Rei366 said:

4/5

As far as I can understand MAL's rankings, the location and total number of a shows viewers shouldn't affect its score so I doubt it's that, but what do I know?

I'm surprised how MAL reacts towards this show while in Japan and China, it was hype af. 🤔
Jan 5, 2019 3:00 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
YK97 said:
Farabeuf said:

I'm surprised how MAL reacts towards this show while in Japan and China, it was hype af. 🤔

YK97 said:
Farabeuf said:

A big part of the explanation is that a lot of people are not familiar/did not grow up with tokusatsu shows.This show is kind of an adaptation/re-imagining of one of them. So it's not surprising that there would be less interest/hype around it.
A second factor in my estimation, is that there seems to be a very sizeable community in here that loathes Trigger Studio's style. Check out some of their other productions, there is always a huuge number of people that are scathing about them. I reckon that even if Trigger brought out a true masterpiece (which Gridman isn't), there would still be a lot of bitchin and complainin about it.

Some other studios (think Kyo Ani) are very popular with the MAL demographic and don't get the same scathing reactions.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 5, 2019 10:01 PM

Mar 2016
@Farabeuf Like you said, from what I seen, the people who harp on Gridman aren't familiar with Tokusatsu nor the original material it was based on.

I find the plot of SSSS Gridman to be aligned with how Ultraman Nexus plot/ background story used to be delivered. It's in line with what the scripter Hasegawa Keiichi produced in the past. His most notable work being Ultraman Tiga, Dyna, Gaia, Cosmos and Nexus.

Nexus was the most gruesome one out of all Ultra series. It was produce for adults to consume. It was Hasegawa-san baby since he was in charge of the production. The storyline focused on humanities inner darkness and how light/hope can be passed on. Very similar to SSSS Gridman plot with Akane.

In many aspect, I find SSSS Grindman becomes easier to understand if you take the time to read some wiki pages, pay attention to OP/ED lyrics and voice drama + the references and their meaning.

That's just me ofc, growing up with Ultraman. But I don't find it hard to do the actions I listed to get a hold of the complete backstory of what happened before, the trigger of the events of SSSS Gridman and the meaning of the ending.

It kinda feels watching a mashup between EVA and the late 90s to early 2000s Ultraman. I give Trigger and Tsuburaya being able to produce such anime and be up there with their old work.
Jan 23, 2019 8:07 PM

May 2012
Oh shit that ending! Well that sure was absolutely amazing! Really love the buildup to the end and with this I really do wonder how this series will end!
Jan 30, 2019 7:45 PM

Dec 2016
This Rikka/Akane relationship that they barely built throughout the show that they're now trying to make into this whole big thing is kind of annoying and dumb
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jun 2, 2019 11:14 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
If Akane was the God that made all of them and goes through such lengths to discuss friendship stuff and whatnot, then she's probably just an overcomplicated emo teenager that's been lost is some coma of hers. She needs to be wakened up before she's written as the psychopathic hoe she is.
Utsumi should go easy on himself, after all, he just said that he was just a normal human, with no superpowers that put him at an advantage on tough fights against Kaiju. JUts have faith in the people that can actually fight. That's more than okay.
Feb 28, 2020 8:45 AM

Jun 2015
So that's what the cutter in the opening was about.
I'm still not convinced by this Gridman living inside Yuta. This might lead to some inconsistencies in the Gridverse.
Apr 5, 2020 3:17 PM

Mar 2010
Rikka needed more air time, almost suffocated with all the explosions and unsurprising reveals.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 25, 2020 9:32 PM

May 2020
The end arc is coming. Gridknight can handle many Kaijuu alone he has a potential. Akane turn to Kaijuu it just beyond my opinion. Yuuta is a Gridman and the real Yuuta is still sleeping, well this is interesting hope it will be the epic end-story.
Jun 13, 2020 8:39 AM
Jan 2018
Bet alot of tokusatsu fans of gridman got excited when he said he was hyper agent
Oct 11, 2020 6:42 AM

Apr 2013
Who would've thought that Alexis was only using Akane? Well everybody, so the plot twist was no surprise at all.
Nov 18, 2020 3:58 AM
Jun 2013
I dont get why it's so hard to believe yuuta with everything else that's been going on. Also I sensed some sexual seduction going on during that pillow rub lol.
Jan 18, 2021 8:40 PM

Mar 2014
Well we got another Trigger twist. Yuta was Gridman in Yuta's body the whole time, he never had memories to begin with! That tease though when Gridman was about to say what Yuta was to Akane... probably because she likes him or something and that made him the only weakness in her heart to exploit/access and save her or something.

The final kaiju... is Akane herself!

Also lol that out-of-character moment when Calibur burst out laughing at Anti wanting to repay his debts. He'd been watching the kid all season, maybe he didn't expect the kid to actually learn some manners.
Mar 14, 2021 1:18 AM

Mar 2010
Well things got real with Akane becoming Kaiju. Anti can use calibur :0
Mar 28, 2021 5:30 PM
Feb 2021
I am kinda confused, overall the episode was good but I have a question. Has Yuuta been Gridman since the beginning of the series or did Gridman take over Yuuta's body?
Mar 31, 2021 7:06 AM

Oct 2016
Great episode! These past few episodes has been so fucking wild.

So Gridman has been possessing Yuuta all this time and he really didn't have amnesia damn. I haven't watched the old Gridman show nor watch any Ultraman show before, but when Gridman said he's a hyper agent, that shit was cool.

Well shit, Akane has been turned into a Kaiju, the last episode will be wild, let's fucking go.
Oct 19, 2021 11:36 AM

Jul 2019
Its episode 11 and I still dont know what is this broken home girl god Akane's problem. Shes absolutely irritating to watch
Oct 11, 2022 4:41 PM

Jan 2018
The story really should've picked up the paced more. Characters were still clueless after 9 episodes later about who the so called "villain" is of the story and that's Akane Shonjo. I really love the OST opening the most though and the music fits so well with the fighting sequence. I really like how they did Anti justice in the last few episodes with him being GridKnight.
May 6, 2023 5:13 AM

Dec 2018
crapload of info on the situation this episode but i still don't get how the world was made to begin with or if the town was just kind of transported to a place out of time.
Oct 24, 2023 9:18 AM

Dec 2022
For a second there I thought Rikka would finally receive some character development, or have an epiphany she should've had a few episodes ago. As it turns out, my expectations may have been premature.

Shaded Horizon

Feb 14, 10:51 PM

Dec 2022
amazing amazing yes it's all about discovery of the self all those lame snoozefest teen romance romcoms don't manage to capture it at all, this shit properly represents what having the mind of a teenager felt like, it's fucking TOUGH!
Apr 16, 7:37 PM

Jan 2015
Nice! The opening had changes!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2018

103 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 22, 10:24 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2018

162 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 22, 10:18 AM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2018

390 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 8:41 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2018

90 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 6:47 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

113 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 12:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.