Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 28, 2018 3:05 PM

Aug 2016
After seeing a post on here stating there aren't many cop/police shows it made me think. Currently we have Double Decker, but there really aren't any other buddy cop anime that I know about. Detective Conan has police characters and there was a 90's show called You're Under Arrest about female traffic cops, but I can't think of any others.

Can anybody else think of any? Also why do you think there aren't and do you wish more were made?

Personally I wonder if cops just aren't seen as interesting in Japan?
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 28, 2018 3:09 PM
Jul 2018
Psycho pass, in my opinion is the best Police anime that i've seen(even i haven't watch to many of them).

I'd like to see at least 1 Police anime in each season..
removed-userOct 28, 2018 3:12 PM
Oct 28, 2018 3:21 PM

Dec 2017
Can't bring much variety in the Police genre. We already have Ghost in the Shell; hard to create something better than that.
Oct 28, 2018 3:23 PM

Feb 2013
you're under arrest actually continued way into the mid 2000s

police shouldn't even be a genre imo .. its not that different from other profession related slice of life or such
Oct 28, 2018 3:24 PM

Apr 2011
Patlabor is the ultimate cop series.
Can not recommend it enough.

Hyper Police is pretty fun, more fanservice-y then my usual recommendations but still decent.

I think that like with any media, popular genres come and go, and I guess cops aren't cool anymore. (Too bad.)
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Oct 28, 2018 3:28 PM

Jan 2016
There is Onihei though the setting is the Tenmai era.
Oct 28, 2018 3:30 PM

Oct 2014
Invidioso said:
Psycho pass, in my opinion is the best Police anime that i've seen(even i haven't watch to many of them).

Psycho Pass is great, Ghost in the Shell is it's progenitor imo. If you're interested in the upcoming Psycho Pass movies or want to rewatch Psycho Pass, you should definitely check out GITS and Stand Alone Complex.
LunilahOct 28, 2018 6:04 PM

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Oct 28, 2018 3:32 PM

May 2015
Police is basically guy looking for criminals or doing detective work. Kinda hard to expand beyond that. Police probably isn't as popular because we already have plenty of super hero anime that do the same thing...except with super powers.

Also, I remember watching this anime when I was younger. And it's funny since despite its large episode count, it has less than 8,000 members on MAL. I should get back to it sometime because if I recall correctly, this anime is ridiculous as heck. I need to find that one episode where Ryotsu destroys a tall building with a wrecking ball floor by floor because I remember laughing my ass off on that scene.
TarotistOct 28, 2018 3:36 PM
Oct 28, 2018 3:33 PM
Jul 2018
Lunilah said:
Invidioso said:

Psycho Pass is great, the progenitor of Ghost in the Shell. If you're interested in the upcoming Psycho Pass movies or want to rewatch Psycho Pass, you should definitely check out GITS and Stand Alone Complex.

I've already Watched the 1st Movie of GITS. It wasn't Garbage neither was so awesome many people are saying it is.

I won't continue watching the remaining Seasons of it.

Thanks for recommendation anyways.
Oct 28, 2018 3:34 PM

Mar 2016
-Funland- said:
Can't bring much variety in the Police genre. We already have Ghost in the Shell; hard to create something better than that.

so we'll just stop trying to make a better one cause "there's already a masterpiece about that". I think that's a recipe for mediocrity and a very poor excuse to not even try.
NANACHO FOR PRESIDENT
Oct 28, 2018 3:37 PM

Aug 2018
I'm currently watching City hunter, I think that is pretty close to what you are asking. You should check it out, it's long af.

And yeah, I agree that it's a pretty uncommon genre.
Oct 28, 2018 3:46 PM

Feb 2010
Idk, I think there's a fair amount, although a lot of them have some sci-fi twist or setting. Patlabor, GITS, Psycho-Pass, Armitage III, Cyber City Oedo, AD Police, Appleseed, Parasite Dolls, Techno Police, Dominion Tank Police, Mad Bull 34, Top Secret, B: The Beginning for example.

You're Under Arrest is one of the only ones I know in a realistic setting. There's also Yakushiji Ryouko no Kaiki Jikenbo, but it has some supernatural elements involved.

Some others that might loosely qualify are Witch Hunter Robin, ACCA, Onihei, Jin-Rou.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 28, 2018 3:56 PM

May 2009
romagia said:
And it had an amazing savage genius OP for it's Full Throttle season!
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 28, 2018 4:00 PM

Feb 2016
There are actually quite a few of police anime with si-fi setting (most of them were mentioned by previous posters). What I actually miss a lot is something with a realistic setting. Kind of an old-school detective stuff with possibly noir feel, and preferably with Japanese neon-town setting.

The closest thing to an old-school detective stuff I have seen in anime is "A Detective Story" episode of Animatrix.
Oct 28, 2018 4:09 PM

Mar 2016
Lunilah said:
Psycho Pass is great, the progenitor of Ghost in the Shell..

wut, unless time travel is involved I don't see how this is possible. And I'm no expert on either.
Oct 28, 2018 4:13 PM

Oct 2014
syncrogazer said:
Lunilah said:
Psycho Pass is great, the progenitor of Ghost in the Shell..

wut, unless time travel is involved I don't see how this is possible. And I'm no expert on either.
I meant it as more of a spiritual successor to the genre. But progenitor sounds way more badass.

Oct 28, 2018 4:14 PM

Mar 2016
Lunilah said:
But progenitor sounds way more badass.

Okay, but that's literally the opposite of what the word means.
Oct 28, 2018 4:15 PM

Aug 2013
Japan doesn't have a "cop culture" like the US, there's not much violence nor live chases every day, so it's not a theme brought up frequently I guess.

There's Persona 4 though not focused on them, Dojima was a really fun cop character.
Oct 28, 2018 4:22 PM

Feb 2016
80s and 90s are more known for that genre, especially in a sci-fi setting, like AD police, Angle Cop, Cyber City Oedo..ect
Oct 28, 2018 4:23 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
ACCA, Ajin, Kindaichi, Sakon, Death Note
張大です for 張大勇督察
Oct 28, 2018 4:27 PM

Jun 2016
Death Note is still the best police anime to ever exist
Oct 28, 2018 4:28 PM

Mar 2018
I think Death Note, Psycho Pass and Ghost in the Shell do qualify as police anime. Other than that. Well, 80s and 90s have more of these shows; nowadays it's all bout the isekai with harem and fanservice 🎉
Silently waiting for WW3 to come and kill everyone while I die smoking weed and drinking coke 🚬👌
Oct 28, 2018 4:32 PM

May 2010
JokerVentura said:

Personally I wonder if cops just aren't seen as interesting in Japan?

I think it's probably because cops tend to be live action adaptations like dramas and films (mystery fiction is popular after all). Most of the cops I see in anime are usually cops in unrealistic settings.
Oct 28, 2018 4:34 PM

Apr 2011
DaCraziGuy said:
I'm currently watching City hunter, I think that is pretty close to what you are asking. You should check it out, it's long af.

Oh, yeah I agree. City Hunter deals with cops and corrupt politicians and good stuff like that. Not exactly a police show but definitely a private eye one. Also fantastic as a whole. How far along are you?
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.

Mar 2016

wut

You somehow posted the definition and are still using it wrong.

Jan 2017
Japan does not have a thriving pop culture for police themed shows because the theme goes against the country's idea of a peaceful community/society. When there are cops (the type in military gear), there is bound to be criminal violence. I think a Japanese citizen sees more of their local peacekeeper that oversees traffic in day-to-day business than one that would fit in a SWAT team.
Oct 28, 2018 4:49 PM

Jan 2017
Lunilah said:
syncrogazer said:

I meant it as more of a spiritual successor to the genre. But progenitor sounds way more badass.

Lunilah said:
syncrogazer said:

Okay, but that's literally the opposite of what the word means.
pro·gen·i·tor
noun
noun: progenitor; plural noun: progenitors
a person or thing from which a person, animal, or plant is descended or originates; an ancestor or parent.
"his sons and daughters were the progenitors of many of Scotland's leading noble families"
synonyms: ancestor, forefather, forebear, parent, primogenitor

a person who originates an artistic, political, or intellectual movement.
"the progenitor of modern jazz"
synonyms: originator, creator, founder, architect, inventor, pioneer

In terms of genre, it definitely fits. GITS is definitely THE pioneer of police sci-fi. Considering they're both animated by the same studios, i think it's more than a fair line to draw.

syncrogazer said:

wut

Yes, the definition of progenitor is used falsely for the one important aspect of the word's definition is there has to be a direct connection between subject A and subject B (e.g. "his sons and daughters were the progenitors of many of Scotland's leading noble families"; connection through bloodline). If a person argues there is a direct relation between Ghost in the Shell and Psycho Pass because Production I.G. is one of the producers for both shows, then that idea must apply to other shows from Production I.G. as well because Ghost in the Shell and Psycho Pass are not special cases within the context of Production I.G.'s library of products. How can someone explain a relation between Attack on Titan (shounen fantasy) and Kuroko no Basket then (shounen sports)? I disagree Ghost in the Shell directly inspires Psycho Pass in any relation when Psycho Pass's philosophy characteristic tumbled after the first season, yet Ghost in the Shell managed to keep its philosophical personality (more or less) in its various movies and shows since Ghost in the Shell (1995). The earlier indication that Psycho Pass is a spiritual successor, not a direct one, is more appropriate for the comparison of both shows.
LineraxOct 28, 2018 4:53 PM
Oct 28, 2018 4:56 PM

Oct 2014
Linerax said:
Lunilah said:

Lunilah said:
pro·gen·i·tor
noun
noun: progenitor; plural noun: progenitors
a person or thing from which a person, animal, or plant is descended or originates; an ancestor or parent.
"his sons and daughters were the progenitors of many of Scotland's leading noble families"
synonyms: ancestor, forefather, forebear, parent, primogenitor

a person who originates an artistic, political, or intellectual movement.
synonyms: originator, creator, founder, architect, inventor, pioneer

In terms of genre, it definitely fits. GITS is definitely THE pioneer of police sci-fi. Considering they're both animated by the same studios, i think it's more than a fair line to draw.

syncrogazer said:

wut

Yes, the definition of progenitor is used falsely for the one important aspect of the word's definition is there has to be a direct connection between subject A and subject B (e.g. "his sons and daughters were the progenitors of many of Scotland's leading noble families"; connection through bloodline). If a person argues there is a direct relation between Ghost in the Shell and Psycho Pass because Production I.G. is one of the producers for both shows, then that idea must apply to other shows from Production I.G. as well because Ghost in the Shell and Psycho Pass are not special cases within the context of Production I.G.'s library of products. How can someone explain a relation between Attack on Titan (shounen fantasy) and Kuroko no Basket then (shounen sports)? I disagree Ghost in the Shell directly inspires Psycho Pass in any relation when Psycho Pass's philosophy characteristic tumbled after the first season when Ghost in the Shell managed to keep its philosophical personality in its various movies and shows since Ghost in the Shell (1995). The earlier indication that Psycho Pass is a spiritual successor, not a direct one, is more appropriate for the comparison of both shows.
I did say the names backwards, my mistake. As for the fallout after season 1, i put fault on the original staff working on the movie while a different crew worked on season 2.

The direct connection is just a presumption that Psycho Pass wouldn't have been written without the influence of GITS.
LunilahOct 28, 2018 5:01 PM

Oct 28, 2018 5:05 PM

Dec 2012
Well, there's also:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Psycho-Pass
Birdy the Mighty: Decode
Patlabor
Appleseed
Armitage the 3rd
AACA: 13 Territory Inspection Dept.
B: The Beginning
Kiddy Grade
AD Police
Cyber City Oedo 808
Dominion Tank Police

But yeah, I'd like to see more of them too.
KruszerOct 28, 2018 5:14 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 28, 2018 5:13 PM
Jun 2016
Invidioso said:

I've already Watched the 1st Movie of GITS. It wasn't Garbage neither was so awesome many people are saying it is.

GITS SAC has the same characters (although different personalty) and the same setting, but it has a very different story and genre. Pretty enjoyable though (although some of the side plot episodes can be a little boring)
Oct 28, 2018 5:18 PM

Dec 2012
allogeneous said:
Invidioso said:

GITS SAC has the same characters (although different personalty) and the same setting, but it has a very different story and genre. Pretty enjoyable though (although some of the side plot episodes can be a little boring)

In my experience, if youre were not exactly thrilled with the original movie you may actually like Stand Alone Complex more as it's completely different, yet still maintains some of the same themes about humanity and technology whilst expanding on the universe and adding character depth.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 28, 2018 5:30 PM

Jul 2010
Naoki Urasawa's works are all police/mystery of highest caliber. Check out 20th Century Boys, Monster, Billy Bat, Pluto...
Oct 28, 2018 5:38 PM

Aug 2016
The hello hedgehog and 8 man after OVAs had private eyes

But the Wild 7 OVAs are badass Dirty Harry styled anime. Not as awesome as Mad bull, but still awesome.

Someone already mentioned Patlabor and I heavily second that suggestion. The original Appleseed OVA is great too.

Miami Guns is like the Panty and Stockings styled procedural where nothing makes sense but is still hilarious and fun.

And if you're going to watch AD Police, I recommend the earlier OVAs, the TV series made me drop after 1 episode
Somali_StrawhatOct 28, 2018 5:43 PM
Oct 28, 2018 5:56 PM

Jan 2016
Yeah. Good that I'm still following Detective Conan.
Oct 28, 2018 5:59 PM

Oct 2014
Kruszer said:
allogeneous said:

In my experience, if youre were not exactly thrilled with the original movie you may actually like Stand Alone Complex more as it's completely different, yet still maintains some of the same themes about humanity and technology whilst expanding on the universe and adding character depth.
I can definitely vouch for that. Although he doesn't rate anime, so i don't know if it matters or not.

To elaborate on Stand Alone Complex, the movies for SAC are mainly just the episodes that focus on the overall plot, whereas the other episodes stand alone as further character development and world building.

Oct 28, 2018 6:02 PM

Aug 2018
Lunilah said:
In terms of genre, it definitely fits.

I don't think you understand.
It's not possible for Psycho-Pass to be the progenitor of GitS. If anything, it's the other way around.
Oct 28, 2018 6:03 PM

Oct 2014
-Lightsbane- said:
Lunilah said:

In terms of genre, it definitely fits.

It's not possible for Psycho-Pass to be the progenitor of GitS. If anything, it's the other way around.
See post number 31. I got caught up on definition instead of my placing of words for my sentiment.

Oct 28, 2018 6:04 PM

Aug 2018
Lunilah said:
-Lightsbane- said:

See post number 31. I got caught up on definition instead of my placing of words for my sentiment.

Ah crap, I missed that one. My bad, then.
Oct 28, 2018 6:24 PM

Aug 2018
The only ones that I can think of are Psycho Pass (which is awesome) and the Ghost in the Shell franchise.

I'd love to see more cop based anime, but maybe the lack of of them is correlated with Japan being one of the safest countries in the world.
Oct 28, 2018 6:53 PM

Jul 2017
it's true that anime unlike series don't have a lot of police shows. well both have their own uniqueness and own genre so I guess that's one of the things we have to give up heh
romagia said:

police shouldn't even be a genre imo .. its not that different from other profession related slice of life or such
I think police should(or is? idk) be a genre on which police and detective are involved like death note for example.
Oonokami said:
Naoki Urasawa's works are all police/mystery of highest caliber. Check out 20th Century Boys, Monster, Billy Bat, Pluto...
ho yea that though not a lot of them got adapted unfortunatly exept monster
Oct 28, 2018 7:54 PM

Nov 2011
As far as semi-realistic police procedurals go, live action television has that genre well covered, so I don’t miss not having many in anime.

For general crime drama, as many have mentioned, there are a lot of sci-fi ones. ACCA was cool stuff too.
Oct 28, 2018 7:54 PM
Mar 2018
Think of what your asking, OP, if we had an appropriate number of cops in anime all MCs lusting after lolis or sisters, and all those involved in accidental sexual harassment would be arrested, with much of the series taking place in prison (though it did work for prison school)

One that comes to mind I think was AD police, I might be wrong, the one with much suits and pick pocket Chan.
Oh and I'm splitting hairs but GitS isn't about police, it's about a privately owned counter terrorist unit.
I don't think we'll see much police in anime with current trends
Oct 28, 2018 8:07 PM

Jul 2014
Tarotist said:
Police is basically guy looking for criminals or doing detective work. Kinda hard to expand beyond that. Police probably isn't as popular because we already have plenty of super hero anime that do the same thing...except with super powers.

Also, I remember watching this anime when I was younger. And it's funny since despite its large episode count, it has less than 8,000 members on MAL. I should get back to it sometime because if I recall correctly, this anime is ridiculous as heck. I need to find that one episode where Ryotsu destroys a tall building with a wrecking ball floor by floor because I remember laughing my ass off on that scene.

Speaking for myself, it'd be nice to have a show that doesn't include all of that extra stuff. I love Ghost in the Shell, but I'd really just like to watch a "basic" show like CBS' Criminal Minds. One of the shows that pissed me off the most this year was B: The Beginning. I was really interested in the idea of just following a bunch of cops doing what they do. Unfortunately, the showrunners decided to take that idea, run with it for a few episodes, and the abandon it in favor of following some superpowered emo kid looking to get revenge for his dead family. I felt bamboozled and felt like I'd been served a bait and switch. Which is a shame because the parts of the show that just focused on the cops were great.
Oct 28, 2018 8:30 PM

Aug 2018
AngelicTotoro said:
DaCraziGuy said:

Oh, yeah I agree. City Hunter deals with cops and corrupt politicians and good stuff like that. Not exactly a police show but definitely a private eye one. Also fantastic as a whole. How far along are you?

Ep 36 of the second season. I can't watch less than 4 episodes every time I start with it XD

Oct 29, 2018 2:31 AM

Sep 2018
Japan has a totally different culture, they have smaller police stations which are more like a small shop with just one or two people there.

They also don't have the blood lust of the US where teenagers have seen about 20,000 murders before they reach 18.

A thumbs up too for City Hunter, that was my first ever anime, it's a great old school show that focuses on a PI/sweeper but does also involve a cop friend of his.
Oct 29, 2018 3:05 AM
Jul 2018
Even though they're bounty hunters, I think Cowboy Bebop has somewhat similar or close feeling.
Oct 29, 2018 3:49 AM
May 2009
Patlabor.
Ghost In the Shell - Though more National Security then police.
Wild 7.
Samurai Flamenco - Sub Main character is police officer.
Oct 29, 2018 6:28 AM

Jul 2017
Pretty sure Death Note, Monster, City Hunter and etc. are police anime
Oct 29, 2018 4:52 PM

May 2016
I don't care about Detective Conan and blacklisted the show back in 2010
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Birthday gifts!!!

Yonahim_Zz - 4 hours ago

8 by LightWorker »»
23 seconds ago

» Any romance anime where you liked MC more than main girl? (Shojo/Josei excluded)

Sanjay63773 - Yesterday

6 by Zarutaku »»
15 minutes ago

» Woke Companies Force Japanese Sites to Censor Anime and Manga Content or Shutdown ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - May 9

72 by Tenderizer79 »»
19 minutes ago

» Are you involved in any fandom activity?

RobertBobert - 7 hours ago

18 by Theo1899 »»
21 minutes ago

» Do you feel just not excited for anime these days?

anizawa89 - Yesterday

28 by Ratris_Decision »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.