Forum Settings
Forums

Do you Interpret Anime from an Emotional Standpoint, or an Intellectual One?

New
Oct 15, 2018 2:33 PM
a car

Jun 2017
Allow me to word the question better in the thread proper.

When you watch and react to anime, do you go with your gut instinct without hesitation, or do you try to process and take every piece of it apart and put it under a microscope?

I feel like there are a lot of anime that just wanna have a good time, and thus your brain needs to take a chill pill. However, there are also many times when anime- and basically all media in general- is willing to exploit your raw emotions to evoke a specific response that generally gives the creators more money.

And no I didn't come up with this thread because of Goblin Slayer.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 15, 2018 2:37 PM

Jan 2009
i let my suspension of disbelief activate to make me absorbed or be affected by immersion more so nah i do not try to be an intellectual when watching entertainment like anime
Oct 15, 2018 2:50 PM
Jul 2018
Your intellectual(trash) talk didn't get through me.
Oct 15, 2018 2:55 PM

Oct 2014
I believe the whole "turn off your brain" thing is an excuse for poor entertainment. Whether or not my suspension of disbelief gets broken, I treat everything the same.

Not entirely sure what you mean by the brain needing a chill pill. But for the other point, pretty sure that's how everything is made. Even if something couldn't be we're hardwired as humans to percieve it as such. There is much more than just angry, happy, sad.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Oct 15, 2018 2:56 PM

Jan 2018
It can be silly silly and if it made my day then it's a positive rating from me. If their reactions are logical for the stuffs that they are going through, then it's acceptable. If bad things go unpunished then surely it's going to affect my enjoyment.
Oct 15, 2018 3:03 PM

Oct 2018
Enjoyment, if an anime is boring it's gonna get a bad score, at least some bad anime are enjoyable.

All my favourite anime would be shit if I actually thought about them, so I guess emotional is the way to go? I mean I don't think emotional is the right word though.

Don't worry about being lame now, you were always lame anyway!

Oct 15, 2018 3:09 PM

Mar 2018
It depends on the anime. For example, an anime like Steins;Gate needs concentration and analysis to fully enjoy it and understand it. On the other hand, something like Free! is just a show you can enjoy without giving it much thought or intellectual interpretation because there is nothing complex about it.
Oct 15, 2018 3:10 PM

Sep 2017
My IQ is superior to almost everybody so of course I interpret it intellectually
Oct 15, 2018 3:13 PM

May 2013
No, it's hard to decide between the two. It mostly has to do with the kind of anime you are watching.

I don't thing every anime out there is supposed to be scrutinized under a microscope. For example, psychological anime tend to be more enjoyable from 'intellectual' standpoint as opposed to something like an action-adventure anime.

Some anime are capable of combining both. Furthermore, if some series catches your fancy or sits in your favourite list, you will automatically know which 'standpoint' gives you the best experience. I doubt you would go with one particular standpoint to interpret different anime.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 15, 2018 3:14 PM

May 2015
For some reason as soon as I finished reading your post and the "Hyundai" part of your name I as expecting you to be a Steins;Gate and Okabe fan which turned out to be true.

When you watch and react to anime, do you go with your gut instinct without hesitation, or do you try to process and take every piece of it apart and put it under a microscope?
I think your question starts wit a wrong assumption. I disagree with the notion that people go into some show/anime just to "put it under a microscope". (I guess it happens but I'd consider those rare cases/exceptions like people who are fanboys and will straight up like anything that franchise puts in front of them).

Instead of people putting anime/shows "under a microscope" what I think it happens is that when we aren't entertained/immersed/engaged but said show we tend to look at it more rationally since we don't feel personally involved and pull it apart if it doesn't make sense to us. I think nitpicking is fine as long as those voicing them are recognizing they are nitpicking. To ascertain the validity of said complaints/nitpick we'd need to discuss/look at the complaints but to me the very voicing of nitpicks is most of the time a sign that said show wasn't entertaining/immersing/engaging for the one voicing it.

I think that the whole argument of someone going into shows to "process and take every piece of it apart and put it under a microscope?" fails when faced with those people not putting other shows under a microscope. EVERY anime will fail somehow when put under a microscope but lets say (and lets go for the memes) the reason I wouldn't put Legend of the Galactic Heroes "under a microscope" but would put Goblin Slayer "under a microscope" is because I might find the first more entertaining. And I know a lot of people might say how can you find that bore of Legend of the Galactic heroes entertaining but you know taste is entertaining. Maybe I just don't find the dumb fun of Goblin Slayer... fun. However that doesn't mean I can't find other types of dumb fun like Dash! Kappei fun.

TL;DR People can't turn their brain off because the show wasn't entertaining enough for them.
zalOct 15, 2018 3:17 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 15, 2018 3:25 PM

Mar 2018
Intellectual of course. I mean what does "turn off your brain" even mean, is that what dumb people say when they push a button and go full retard?
poop
Oct 15, 2018 3:30 PM

May 2013
Esquirtit said:
Intellectual of course. I mean what does "turn off your brain" even mean, is that what dumb people say when they push a button and go full retard?

It's just how colloquial phrases in English are. It implies that one should not get too analytical about something. Telling someone 'use your brain' means you are suggesting them to think harder/analyse more.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Oct 15, 2018 3:30 PM

Jul 2013
If I ignore your actual post and only look at the two words emotional and intellectual part how about both? If I am emotionally connected to the characters I tend to love the show even more, and then after that I look deeper into the layers of the show to find out well the hidden meanings and important small details.
Oct 15, 2018 3:31 PM

May 2014
Neither, because anime is for losers.
Oct 15, 2018 3:32 PM

Aug 2017
I interpret anime from an quality standpoint. I only give good anime good scores
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 15, 2018 3:48 PM
Aug 2016
I watch anime with big titted hot anime babes to write 10 page long analyses.
Oct 16, 2018 1:56 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
From an emotional standpoint, I believe

Ericonator said:
Neither, because anime is for losers.

Careful with the edge there
Oct 16, 2018 1:58 PM

Feb 2018
It really depends on what kind of show I am watching. I won't try to analyze or pick apart a Sol comedy but certainly a thriller or mastery show.
Oct 16, 2018 1:59 PM

Feb 2010
Whatever provides me more enjoyment mate. It's really that simple for me.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 16, 2018 2:01 PM

Jul 2014
When it comes to evaluating whether I like the show that I am currently watching, my go-to questions are "in the confines of this world, does the story make sense?" and "are the characters acting and reacting in a reasonable and understandable way?" If I decide the answer to that question is "no" then the chances of me enjoying a show falls immediately. If there's any one thing I hate about storytelling, it is the presence of a nonsensical story.
Oct 16, 2018 2:03 PM

Aug 2018
A bit of both. I don't think i can rate fairly if i just use enjoyment as my criteria because there are some genres i like more than others and i'm very picky with my anime anyway, so i'm bound to like most of what i watch

Story and character writing are especially important to me
Oct 16, 2018 2:05 PM

Aug 2017
It's simple really. Intellectually emotional
Oct 16, 2018 2:08 PM

May 2009
If this is basically asking whether I "go into" the immersive experience of a story or "stand outside" and analyze it from a mechanical/storywriting-design perspective, then I pick immersion.

Analysis (the "intellectual" side of things) can reveal why immersion, enjoyment, etc. happen or don't happen. But to have the question of "why", you first need to know "what", and the "what" comes from an intuitive reaction to the story (which I guess OP means by "emotional").
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 16, 2018 2:23 PM

Oct 2017
I don't usually try to dissect anime in detail as that inevitably leads to finding apparent 'flaws' that don't actually mean much and just pollute my memory of the show. Any problems I find with shows I mostly find whilst watching them and as they affect my enjoyment of and satisfaction with the show I take them into account when rating (which is mostly by gut feeling with minor, but sometimes significant, logical input).
Oct 16, 2018 2:49 PM

Apr 2018
I don't watch anime to write a 20 pages of research paper, and I believe most people don't (?). If I want to write, I'd rather do the research in the 3th to 5th re-watching. But it's too much a bother and I am struggling in writing in English.
Oct 16, 2018 2:51 PM

Feb 2010
An0nim said:
I don't watch anime to write a 20 pages of research paper, and I believe most people don't (?). If I want to write, I'd rather do the research in the 3th to 5th re-watching. But it's too much a bother and I am struggling in writing in English.

Can't you just, you know, think without having to write it down? I always thought everyone could do that but maybe I'm just particularly talented, idk.
Oct 16, 2018 2:54 PM

Oct 2016
I watch it for my enjoyment, going in depth on stuff is only if I'm that interested in something.. And that honestly has never happened on a TV show for me.
Oct 16, 2018 2:55 PM

Sep 2015
Pullman said:
An0nim said:

Can't you just, you know, think without having to write it down?

but if i don't write it down i'll forget it 20 years from now!
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Oct 16, 2018 2:58 PM

May 2009
Platypus7 said:
I don't usually try to dissect anime in detail as that inevitably leads to finding apparent 'flaws' that don't actually mean much and just pollute my memory of the show. Any problems I find with shows I mostly find whilst watching them and as they affect my enjoyment of and satisfaction with the show I take them into account when rating (which is mostly by gut feeling with minor, but sometimes significant, logical input).
Yeah, it's always possible to find "flaws" with something, but it's just not very fun, at least in my opinion.

The only time it really makes sense for me to go hunting for flaws is if I have a series on my hands that I didn't enjoy and I need to answer the question of why I didn't enjoy it.

I sorta take into account the notion that "nothing's perfect" in my rating system -- my highest score is a 9/10. But that's more so a result of how I've mapped a five-point rating system to the ten-point rating system; I had to choose to omit 1 or 10.
Oct 16, 2018 3:01 PM

Apr 2018
Pullman said:
An0nim said:

Can't you just, you know, think without having to write it down? I always thought everyone could do that but maybe I'm just particularly talented, idk.

Well, do people really can turn off their brain for a moment? I don't think so. I always think everyone has their brain functioning when watching but some people just choose not to care for a moment and enjoy themselves.
Oct 16, 2018 3:03 PM

Feb 2010
An0nim said:
Pullman said:

Well, do people really can turn off their brain for a moment? I don't think so. I always think everyone has their brain functioning when watching but some people just choose not to care for a moment and enjoy themselves.

When your brain turns off for a moment, you lose consciousness I think. Like when there's not enough blood flow/oxygen for the breain. That probably helps getting through some anime, but in general it doesn't deem a advisable strategy.
Oct 16, 2018 3:06 PM

May 2009
Pullman said:
An0nim said:

When your brain turns off for a moment, you lose consciousness I think. Like when there's not enough blood flow/oxygen for the breain. That probably helps getting through some anime, but in general it doesn't deem a advisable strategy.
It makes it harder to enjoy stuff too, unfortunately.
Oct 16, 2018 5:07 PM

Oct 2018
Depends on the anime but i prefer using both
Oct 16, 2018 5:12 PM

Jun 2012
Intellectually first, emotionally second.

People tend to be easily manipulated emotionally. I usually analyze how the show executes any given dramatic scene and how "manipulative" it is. If it's genuine, I am usually already invested and immersed. If not, I am usually very annoyed or angry that the creators were lazy enough not to care about their story's emotional driving force. Never half-ass or quarter-ass, or any-ass any scene. Go full force but be professional.
Welcome to club: Anime that Should Continue
http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=37045
Oct 16, 2018 7:21 PM

Dec 2015
Depends on the anime. I won't try to analyze stuff like Konosuba but with anime like Tenshi no Tamago it's just fun doing so.
Oct 16, 2018 7:25 PM

Jan 2016
My gut instinct defines what I think about a show, I dissect the show to figure out why I have that gut instinct. If I know a show is making me hyped or getting me excited, I try to figure out why. If it's leaving me lukewarm, I try to figure out why. But ultimately, whatever my initial impression was will stick.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Oct 16, 2018 9:23 PM

Jun 2015
I dont nitpick.

So obviously Im not gonna do that with thngs I like. like anime.

If I did, I would have wuit anime 10+ years ago.

no I let myself go, how else can you feel goosebumps when you hear fairytail muisc?
Oct 16, 2018 10:01 PM

Jul 2017
from both is what I would say
while i am viewing anime, I would generate thoughts and feelings at the same time and incorporate them into my understanding
Oct 16, 2018 10:13 PM

Nov 2014
Depends on the anime. There are some that will require you to use your brain and there are also those that doesn't need it. Not because it's (always) bad, but maybe that's how the creators want it to be. Something that doesn't require you to squeeze your brain too much and just enjoy watching. Even if it's something that looks "deep", I'm sure every experienced viewer will be able to tell if it really is or just being pretentious and not worth taking seriously.
Oct 16, 2018 10:34 PM
Jun 2015
Anime are all designed to elicit emotions through its story, characters, atmosphere or change their point of view through propaganda (themes). It depends on the individual on whether they see its effectiveness as positive or negative. I don't think anyone can have a consistent standard because there is so many variables that make up those opinions at any specific time. A person that says X scene is bad but Y similar scene is good could be a number of variables the person is unable to articulate or explain. It doesn't mean the person is a hypocrite either because there could be elements that makes Y scene better than X scene even if they look the same on first impression.
Oct 19, 2018 6:45 AM

Oct 2018
It all comes down to what mood the anime wants to put you in. If you are into Gintama, for example, you should just say: screw logic, copyrights and common humor, i want to laugh with some dark humor. Of course, when serious arcs comes, you activate your emotional side if you CARE for the characters.

Now if it is animes like, for example, Kara no Kyoukai, normally you deal with them seriously, because it is the tone that brings this side.
Oct 19, 2018 7:06 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
If the anime is able to overpower me with emotion and not make me think about what it’s doing wrong and just let me sit back. It’s doing a good fucking job. All too often I get into this frame of mind thinking what’s wrong with something or how certain scenes could’ve done certain aspects better. It’s called being an adult with a critical mind I suppose.
Oct 19, 2018 7:13 AM

Oct 2018
Stripes said:
If the anime is able to overpower me with emotion and not make me think about what it’s doing wrong and just let me sit back. It’s doing a good fucking job. All too often I get into this frame of mind thinking what’s wrong with something or how certain scenes could’ve done certain aspects better. It’s called being an adult with a critical mind I suppose.
Exactly.The more you invest into something you are enjoying, and then comes that punch in the gut when something epic happens, be awesome, be sad, be a happy one, the emotional side also comes from even from the most smart, intelligent
or comical animes.
BillthescytheOct 19, 2018 7:31 AM
Oct 19, 2018 7:14 AM

Nov 2016
Depending on what I'm watching I do both.

Pullman said:
An0nim said:

You're so amazing senpai.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 20, 2018 8:51 AM

Jul 2017
It depends mostly, some intellectual ones can be emotional though but who's to say that you can't have fun with anime right?
Oct 20, 2018 12:15 PM

Dec 2016
If I can't write a PhD thesis on an anime then it's trash.

What's the difference?
Oct 20, 2018 12:33 PM

Dec 2012
I attempt to incorporate both at once. I enjoy both the simple and complex titles each for different reasons.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 20, 2018 12:41 PM

Mar 2018
It depends largely on the show and also for how long the show has been going. Some shows don't really invite intellectual debates, others, however, do though I haven't seen any deep and meaningful discussions on this board. They usually degrade fairly early on because people start insulting each other. If the show is meant to be deep and complex then yes I analyse it mainly from an intellectual point of view and not so much from an emotional. In some cases it is, however, hard. This is what I meant when I wrote that it depends on how long the show has been going. We start to get attached to characters and hate to see them wronged. We know they might not be right but we love the character so much that we are ready to overlook certain things. I remember while watching BSG that I felt so frustrated because I loved Laura and Bill but some of their decisions were highly questionable.
huntress1013Oct 20, 2018 12:45 PM
Oct 20, 2018 12:43 PM

Aug 2017
What seems intersting I just analyze it with only intuition, because googling it for better explaination could lead to spoilers like it happened with Steins;Gate. I enjoy an anime way more when I rewind to understand a part better instead of just letting it go.
Oct 20, 2018 1:02 PM

Oct 2013
A bit of both or a mixture. Enjoyment and analysis/evaluating. Although I think I lean more often on the former. But it also depends on the genre or the direction of the anime I'm watching.

Regardless, I still think EQ and IQ is esstential in everything you do.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Don't you find the obsession with fictional characters in the anime community alarming? ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - May 10

110 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
41 seconds ago

» Will we get more anime's that reflect "Stoner Comedy"?

GoatPieceLuffy - 3 hours ago

19 by Coaghim »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you have a prejudice against people who watch ecchi/hentai? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - May 9

66 by creepylurker »»
15 minutes ago

» So, what's the oldest anime you've ever watched?

Gashadokur0 - 12 hours ago

37 by ManuelFragment »»
21 minutes ago

» Successor to "Isekai"

NostalgiaDrive94 - Yesterday

25 by Neterosan »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.