Forum Settings
Forums

How do you feel about down-to-Earth, "normal" anime characters?

New
How do you feel about down-to-Earth, "normal" anime characters?
Sep 25, 2018 4:37 PM
Jul 2018
I mean characters like Shirou Emiya, Kenzo Tenma, Ginko, Takashi Natsume, who have very normal, humble, down-to-Earth personalities. Not cool or badass, or anything like that; characters who you can imagine as your friendly neighbor next door.

Personally, I love down-to-Earth normal anime characters like Ginko. I generally don't care for anime characters because of how quirky they tend to be.
Sep 25, 2018 4:46 PM

Aug 2017
They are pretty cool I like them enough
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2018 5:03 PM
Mar 2013
I find being down-to-earth a positive trait and I hate arrogance irl and anime, I see no reason why a character can't be cool and down-to-earth, However, I don't generally like weak willed characters and push overs and I feel sometimes those traits are confused with each other
Chigo_SenseiSep 25, 2018 10:17 PM
Sep 25, 2018 5:07 PM

Feb 2016
i also want to become a hero of justice. that's down to earth
Sep 25, 2018 5:18 PM

Nov 2013
Like everything they have their time and place. But sometimes they are plain boring.

Also, Shirou is a rather bad example. He's, above all, a simpleton and annoying idealist.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Sep 25, 2018 5:24 PM

Dec 2012
I generally find them somewhat refreshing. It's even better when they possess common sense too.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 25, 2018 5:30 PM

Sep 2014
I like my down-to-Earth waifu and I generally like characters who make normal decision and sometimes make mistakes and have visible weakness.
Sep 25, 2018 5:50 PM

Jul 2014
Is Shirou Emiya considered normal? He always seemed chaotic good to me.
Sep 25, 2018 5:55 PM

Jun 2017
Meh, I neither hate nor love them. As long as they have a good backstory/character development, Im fine with anything.
Sep 25, 2018 5:59 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
I don't mind them as long as they're not the true "main" character.
They make for great supporting/semi-main cast additions, but I don't see them as capable of carrying an entire show by themselves.
Sep 25, 2018 6:10 PM

Oct 2014
I don't like normal characters in adventure stories. In character driven narratives so they can grow, sure. Otherwise i prefer characters to look up to or despise.

I tend to never care for main characters that are normal, normality is the last thing i'm looking for in anime.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Sep 25, 2018 6:11 PM

Oct 2010
Of course. Hina from Hinamatsuri is an example of a great character who went down to Earth.
Sep 25, 2018 6:23 PM

Jul 2017
Shiro Emiya, "normal" Did we watch the same Fate/SN?

But I find those characters ok. Guaranteed their no annoying harem girl level but maybe sometimes they're "too normal" it becomes boring to watch
Sep 25, 2018 6:43 PM

Oct 2014
I love slice of life anime and naturally I also like normal characters. My favourite archetypes are genki girl and tsundere (and maybe magical girl, but that isn't so personality based as it is about circumstance. Magical girls can have a wide range of personalities). The power hungry type don't interest me.
Sep 25, 2018 6:44 PM

May 2009
HopefulNihilist said:
I mean characters like Shirou Emiya, Kenzo Tenma, Ginko, Takashi Natsume, who have very normal, humble, down-to-Earth personalities. Not cool or badass, or anything like that; characters who you can imagine as your friendly neighbor next door.

Personally, I love down-to-Earth normal anime characters like Ginko. I generally don't care for anime characters because of how quirky they tend to be.
I see you adopted my rating scale for anime, for your poll. :P Though I'd say in this case I'm not sure I can differentiate between "like" and "love", for a broad categorization like this. I use the 5-point scale for specific series (or, characters, in this context).

That said, I am inclined to agree with you -- the crazy quirky characters never entertain me much and I generally much prefer the "stable" characters, because they're just so much more relatable.

If anything, the crazy ones are the ones I interpret as showing off an appearance of crazy, often to hide other things in their lives.

(That said, I don't specifically know any of the specific characters you've mentioned, sorry.)
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 25, 2018 7:20 PM
Jul 2018
Short_Circut said:

But I find those characters ok. Guaranteed their no annoying harem girl level but maybe sometimes they're "too normal" it becomes boring to watch

@TheBigGuy

@Healmeplz

@greymood

I was talking about Shirou's personality, not his mentality. Personality wise, Shirou is one of the most normal, down-to-Earth characters I've seen in anime: he's humble, polite, kind, helping. He's a character I can 100% imagine existing in real life.
Sep 25, 2018 7:29 PM

Aug 2015
Really like. I'm watching Patlabor and the character I like the most is this guy:

https://myanimelist.net/character/9028/Kiichi_Gotou

An example of a protagonist that I consider to be "normal":

https://myanimelist.net/character/143758/Jean_Otus
Sep 25, 2018 7:29 PM

Dec 2013
HopefulNihilist said:
I was talking about Shirou's personality, not his mentality. Personality wise, Shirou is one of the most normal, down-to-Earth characters I've seen in anime: he's humble, polite, kind, helping. He's a character I can 100% imagine existing in real life.

Isn't mentality a part of his personality...? I must agree with everyone else that Shirou doesn't really have anything to do with the other three. It says a lot that I hate Shirou and love the rest of them lol.

I think the distinction is to make here is between actually down-to-earth characters like your examples (minus Shirou) and characters with no personality, like modern protagonists with as few distinctive traits as possible. I love the former and hate the latter.
Sep 25, 2018 7:40 PM

Jul 2017
HopefulNihilist said:
Short_Circut said:

@TheBigGuy

@Healmeplz

@greymood

That sounds like the personality of 99% of generic harem protagonists

Now I'm not the biggest Fate know it all but from what I've seen/read, Shiro literally isn't down to earth at all. In SN he's constantly whining and causing drama over protecting Saber, in UBW he's stubborn as hell about his ideas (even when he sees the hypocrisy in them) and in Heavens Feel he just straight up says screw the world lmao

To me at least a more 'down-to-earth' character would be Ginko like you mentioned or Gin from Hotarubi
Sep 25, 2018 10:01 PM

Nov 2013
That's the problem with Shirou. He's humble, polite, kind and helping to a fault. That's not being down-to-earth, that's being a goody two-shoes. Inviting an enemy, that just tried to kill you, into your household isn't what a down-to-earth person would do.

Also, being able to imagine a character to exist in real life, has nothing to do with that character being down-to-earth or not.
TheBigGuySep 25, 2018 10:09 PM
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Sep 25, 2018 10:09 PM
Jul 2018
It always matters how someone is portrayed in general. Normally I don't like the "too good to be true"-characters, but I absolutely love Natsume (you mentioned him, that's why I also do this) and especially from this character type, Allen.
Because there is still more than these traits to them and they aren't too good to be true either, if you look closer.

Natsume has some temperament and can get a little bit harsh (for his personality lol) sometimes and has some problems on his own.
I didn't care for Ginko on the other hand. He was pretty okay, but I focused on the episodic stories. He is in the background and I think that's what he is supposed to do.
Usually, I'm a really, strongly character orientated person tho.
Some others of the "normal ones" I really like are Hiyori (Noragami), Lenalee (also D.Gray-man), and Kagome (Inuyasha) for example.

Anyway, to me, they don't feel bland and they are more real-human-like, they are smart and have opinions, and are with a full range of emotions.
But some typical protagonists share some of the same traits, but they do feel bland to me. I dunno, it depends on the character.

Tho, I also don't get your "most anime characters are too quirky"-opinion. Some of them are, ofc, but most are not too bad or over the top. That depends also on the writer, imo and some real people are much different from your description. So, I can imagine someone far away from being like that, existing in a similar form in real.
removed-userSep 26, 2018 1:37 AM
Sep 26, 2018 12:26 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
It can be fun, especially when that character has to interact with standard anime tropes, like Katou Megumi. Creates some fun situations. Other than that, I don't really have an opinion. I haven't seen enough of them I suppose.
Sep 26, 2018 12:30 AM

Aug 2018
greymood said:
i also want to become a hero of justice. that's down to earth

You can be both, like Kenji Endo from 20th Century Boys.

I love normal characters. They show us they are, above all things, people with human feelings and flaws.
Sep 26, 2018 12:47 AM

Nov 2017
Depends on his design and how well written the character is in the context of the story, let's take someone like the mc of Attack on Titan if you can call him down to earth which I would say he is to some level, he is an extremely on note character with a terrible design as well and then if we compare him to someone like Shinji who shows a lot of personality in Evangelion AOT's mc literally pales in comparison(mc from Mirai Nikki is another example). I don't have a preference but if you're gonna do a more relatable protagonist then it has to blend well with what the story is trying to say, there's no point in making a relatable protagonist just for the sake of giving the viewer a person to relate to because the story and the writing gives depth to the characters and if a story is not suited for this kind of character then he would lack depth.
Sep 26, 2018 1:06 AM
Jul 2018
they usually have pretty soothing personality, I like such characters
Sep 26, 2018 1:13 AM

Oct 2012
Except Shirou Emiya is arrogant and conceited as hell. Just another empty idealist. He might as well be Naruto in a different ending.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Sep 26, 2018 1:47 AM

May 2013
Not sure about Shirou Emiya as to whether he falls under that category. Perhaps. Maybe he might seem like that from Saber's Route in F:S/N. He is known for that epic 'People die when they are killed' mic-drop one-liner after all (I jest).

Regardless but I do like normal and down-to-earth characters a fair bit. They are easy to watch and understand, give off general feel-good vibes throughout and generate reasonable drama as a cause and effect. A good thing nevertheless.
KreatorXSep 26, 2018 2:31 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Sep 26, 2018 2:24 AM

May 2018
Shirou with his hero complex is noting close to down-to-earth character. He had some good and realistic offers to safe himself and exit this dangerous situation but he selected an uphill battle.

Dr Tenma also always throws himself against the odds.
Sep 26, 2018 2:54 AM
Jul 2018
i like them because i'm down-to-earth too
Sep 26, 2018 3:26 AM

Nov 2014
I feel like you got this the other way round. It's not that we relate to normal characters, it's that we find characters we relate to normal. The characters that we describe of as normal vary, because we relate to different characters. This is probably why some responses here are shocked at what characters you describe as normal.

Besides, a character doesn't have to be "normal" to have a down to earth personality.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Sep 26, 2018 7:02 AM
Jul 2018
BurningSpirit said:
I feel like you got this the other way round. It's not that we relate to normal characters, it's that we find characters we relate to normal. The characters that we describe of as normal vary, because we relate to different characters. This is probably why some responses here are shocked at what characters you describe as normal.

Besides, a character doesn't have to be "normal" to have a down to earth personality.

I think I understand what you mean. But I never asked anything about whether you guys relate to normal character. I think my definition of a "normal" down-to-Earth character, is different from you guys'.
When I think of a character who is "normal, down-to-Earth" I think of a character who has a calm, cool, temperament, but not "cool" as in, like a badass like Jotaro Kujo. In other words, I don't consider Shinji Ikari to be "down to Earth": he's incredibly shy, unstable, socially anxious, nervous.
Sep 26, 2018 7:10 AM

Apr 2014
I like them. They're characters I can support and enjoy.

I mean, most scenarios a person would get angsty, emotional, insane.. But who doesn't like a calm and collected character that makes the moment that much... Cooler?
Sep 26, 2018 7:14 AM

Mar 2016
Considering that smugness, badassery, etc. is obnoxious to me, I'd say that I prefer characters that are 'normal' though obviously there are exceptions and it's dependent on the story they're apart of.
Sep 29, 2018 2:17 PM

Jun 2011
It depends on what you mean by "normal" if you mean somebody who acts the age you expect (like a teenager who can be very childish, emotional and crazy), then no, I don't like those kind of characters. If you mean someone who is grounded, emotionally stable, and easygoing, then yes, I do like those type of characters. We need more characters like that rather than the hot-headed overconfident brat.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Sep 29, 2018 7:18 PM

Jul 2017
I like them because I too am down-to-earth as well.
Sep 29, 2018 9:58 PM

Jan 2010
HopefulNihilist said:

It's hard to judge by only that characteristic.

I can like down to earth normal character if they are actually interesting and relevant to story. For example, Ginko. He is far from normal I think, even though he is calm and down to earth, he has depth and complexity too.

I tend to like "grey to black" characters more. I usually not a fan of self righteous goody two shoes. I tend to like the antagonists more since they are usually more complex and entertaining.

Also badass characters ofc. They might be overused but people do attracted to them.

Human flaws and complexities is what will attract me to a character I guess.

Also, a little bit crazy in the head is also my favorite.
Sep 30, 2018 8:54 AM
Jul 2018
Shicchi said:
HopefulNihilist said:

It's hard to judge by only that characteristic.

I can like down to earth normal character if they are actually interesting and relevant to story. For example, Ginko. He is far from normal I think, even though he is calm and down to earth, he has depth and complexity too.

I tend to like "grey to black" characters more. I usually not a fan of self righteous goody two shoes. I tend to like the antagonists more since they are usually more complex and entertaining.

Also badass characters ofc. They might be overused but people do attracted to them.

Human flaws and complexities is what will attract me to a character I guess.

Also, a little bit crazy in the head is also my favorite.

I didn't mean to imply that my idea of down-to-Earth characters meant they have no flaws. Natsume is down-to-Earth, but he has flaws too (difficulty being open with other people). If they have flaws, I mean flaws that...aren't out-there; subtle flaws, if that makes sense.
Although, I don't get how Ginko is "complex". I mean, it's kinda interesting how he switches between being an emotionally unattached observer vs someone more invested in a person's story.
Sep 30, 2018 8:58 AM

Sep 2014
Normay Guy Shirou Emiya aka wannabe protector of justice, master whiteknight and all that? He's no different than your average shonen protagonist, maybe even more of an idealist than that.
Sep 30, 2018 8:59 AM

Jun 2014
Wait, you mean that "down-to-Earth" Anime characters exist?

I never knew that "Hank Hill" was an Anime character.

Sep 30, 2018 9:14 AM

Oct 2015
Depends on the anime for me tbh, like Ginko and such. They really tend to work well with slice of life a lot since it’s more relaxing. I don’t know what you consider normal though lol

ALSO EMIYA DOWN TO EARTH???? LOOOOL
Go back to being a naked monkey, sweetie!

Sep 30, 2018 9:50 AM
Jul 2018
Well, looks like we all have a different definition from down-to-earth and normal.

Just want to add: I really liked Shion from No. 6 too. He grew up inside the city, so he is very sheltered, but with the progress of he story, he really tries to understand Nezumi and the situation from the people outside.
He doesn't complain about the loss of his sheltered life and wealth and tries to deal with his new circumstances there, he feels like he is more of an introvert and sometimes insecure what to do, but he isn't shy or weak, he is smart, but not pretentious and it's not over the top. Ofc, I would understand if he had reacted very differently and if he had complained and angsted more, but it didn't feel forced on him and he is not a "too good to believe"-character either, because he a full range of emotions and is able to get angry at people (although there is a reason behind it in some scenes).
Sep 30, 2018 9:53 AM

Sep 2018
Not very hot personality trait imo can't relate. Wouldn't fuck someone like this even if my life depended on it. Eh.

Sep 30, 2018 9:56 AM

Jan 2015
shirou is a piece of shit, stupid garbage retard LOL he is anything but normal.
Sep 30, 2018 10:25 AM
Sep 2018
TBH i like them but at the same time if its shonen animu then it would be hard to accomplish but i think that if a mangaka actually does make a shonen anime with a 'down-to-earth" MC then i really think it would turn out really good and probably sjyrocket .......anyone ever realize how they tried to make kazuto kirigaya a "normal" character smh make up your mind Reki...... im not one of those elitist SAO haters but i feel like they could use a bit of constructive criticism.....lol how did this turn into me talking shit about sao.....smh

More topics from this board

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

67 by Spunkert »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 8 hours ago

30 by Zarutaku »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

33 by deg »»
10 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

223 by iftsistrnn »»
27 minutes ago

» Do you consider the opening(s) and ending(s) when rating an anime? ( 1 2 )

Hacker075 - Mar 15

62 by _ATG_ »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.