Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2018 5:24 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Man, I almost forgot how much some human characters in this series can be suck dicks.

I thought this episode had some colorful creatures. Some of them even have dynamic human traits which I find somewhat heartwarming to watch.
Sep 1, 2018 10:34 PM
Apr 2016
Hardly reply to MAL discussions anymore but I'll start back again now.

Sobbing, I loved this episode. Noticed that all of the years displayed were the years the past GeGeGe no Kitaro adaptations began (1968 - First, 1971 - Second, 1985 - Third). Also finally got to see Tofu-Kozo again! (He was the one that Mana saw on the Vampire Tree branch Kitaro turned into in episode one, he's at the end of this episode carrying a plate of tofu and talking to Sunakake-Babaa).

Good to see the other yokai in the apartment, too (Gangi-Kozo, Amamehagi, Iwanabozu)! <3
Kitaro blushing in the preview gives me life. Hilarious that he knows what marriage and everything related to it is but he can't pick up all the hints coming from Neko-Musume. >v<

In other news, it was revealed alongside this episode's broadcast news, the Great Yokai War/Western Yokai arc begins on October 7th! They're hyping this up so much and even have promo art for it. I can't wait. ;v;
Sep 2, 2018 12:16 AM
Jul 2018
Akaname look different in my head.

Sep 2, 2018 12:38 AM

Jun 2013
Sangaz said:

Sauce pls.

-----

This episode was very touching. I know that GGGnK has a fanbase but I think it's bigger in Japan and perhaps other Asian countries and non-English speaking countries. I currently live in the Philippines but I don't know if they've ever shown it here. I remember they showed it in South Korea when I lived there for a couple of years. Never saw it on American TV channels but then again I lived in the US back in the 90s from 90-2000 and back again in 2002-2005 and never saw it. I feel that GGGnK is underrated in most English-speaking countries and isn't appreciated as much since it's episodic with different themes per episode and doesn't have many arcs.

I loved how they showed a short timeline of Kitaro and friends in the 60s, 70s and 80s and of course now 2018. Even Neko Musume's clothes were so retro, I liked that nice touch. Also, Nezumi Otoko eating a burger and slightly complaining about the price back in the day, nowadays burgers are incredibly cheap.

The story of the three yokai who fell in love with the cute couple and helped them out was very touching. They were close to their granddaughter and treated her as their own but they were concerned she couldn't make friends with real people. Unfortunately, as an adult she ended up being temporarily engaged to the son of the same yakuza that tried to trick her grandparents.

I try to keep my comments short but GGGnK never fails to touch me and amuse me with each episode, perhaps because of its long history. I wish it had more viewers internationally.
臭い-
Sep 2, 2018 12:51 AM
Jul 2018
Bibimbapski said:

Sauce pls.

The artist is AHOBAKA, it was in an issue of Girls forM last year but I'm pretty sure it's included in his latest tankoubon.
Sep 2, 2018 12:53 AM

Jun 2013
Sangaz said:
Bibimbapski said:

Sauce pls.

The artist is AHOBAKA, it was in an issue of Girls forM last year but I'm pretty sure it's included in his latest tankoubon.

Thank you so much! :)
臭い-
Sep 2, 2018 7:12 AM

Jan 2013
Sangaz said:

Honestly this is my favorite Akaname.
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Sep 2, 2018 8:42 AM

Sep 2011
What a thoughtful, well-written episode. I just loved how the story progressed throughout the years.

I loved how the owners of the apartment building slowly opened up to those youkai that were trouble at first, but didn't mean any harm. And the way they learned to live in peace, respecting each other. And also the way Kitarou stood up for this family, and those youkai both then and now, teaching those yakuza a lesson. They changed their methods, but they only got even more despicable, sending a hot guy to seduce, and take advantage of a young woman like that. But it was satisfying to see that boss getting terriefied at Kitarou's sight, being the same after decades, I don't think they will ever try to get that land again.

And it was great that in the end she was able to recover her memories, and bonds with those three, and that now the apartment is lively and filled with youkai! I wonder if they pay rent... But this reminds me a lot of Youkai Apartment no Yuuga na Nichijou, and I love it.
Sep 2, 2018 8:54 AM

Mar 2015
Really great episode, probably my favorite so far. Long Neck Lady was so beautiful! The Frog woman more sensitive than you would think, and Umbrella Man was hilarious with his buffness and in your face attitude. It still seems to give the impression that yokai needed to be bested in combat in order to give anyone any respect though.

I originally I started watching this anime because I heard it put some yokai in a more positive light and also because I'm a Touhou fan I was interested in more yokai lore. This episode definitely delivered in both respects for me!

I've been watching 2007 and 2018 back to back, and I can really see the tone differences. I always find myself either getting teary eyed (rare) or smiling at the beautiful touching moments this show has. It really is a wonderful series! 2007 seems to be more light hearted and 2018 is seems more grim and depressing than 2007. There is a lot more yokai being shown in 2007 as well, which I like.

In some cases I prefer the 2007 version, like the Train to Hell, 2007 was much more endearing and bittersweet to me. However in 2018 we get to see Daddy Eyeball in his full adult body which was freaking awesome! So it's hard to say which I prefer. I don't think I'll go back farther than 2007 though, didn't like the 1996's style for Neko Musume.

I wonder how many more episode remakes there will be? I remember a 2007 episode about the Sand Witch owning the hotel this time, with the same 3 yokai in there with her. Is there a timeline? Kitaro is much more negative in 2018. In 2007 he was all for yokai being pals with humans, but now not so much. He also used to personally greet us viewers at the beginning of every episode, which I miss. :( Now it's just the same "look out behind you...".

So far I think (aka in my opinion) Mana is the worst part of the show. She just seems to shoved in, and after seeing 2007, it's tough to not compare. At first 2018's Ratman was getting annoying since he was in almost every early episode, but lately in the newer episodes the show seems to be just getting better and better with more character diversity. Neko Musume seems the rarest though. I kinda miss the chipper happy ever present Neko Musume though..but I guess the smart phone generation got to her too as is shown with Mana haha..and she grew up.
Raven_WingzSep 2, 2018 8:59 AM
Sep 2, 2018 10:23 AM
Apr 2016
Raven_Wingz said:
So far I think (aka in my opinion) Mana is the worst part of the show. She just seems to shoved in, and after seeing 2007, it's tough to not compare. At first 2018's Ratman was getting annoying since he was in almost every early episode, but lately in the newer episodes the show seems to be just getting better and better with more character diversity. Neko Musume seems the rarest though. I kinda miss the chipper happy ever present Neko Musume though..but I guess the smart phone generation got to her too as is shown with Mana haha..and she grew up.

I grew up with GGGnK and have seen at least most of all of the previous adaptations, so after that you really start to love and appreciate Mana. In the 1985 anime, there was a human girl named Yumeko, who generally couldn't help much at all (sorry Yumeko). I still loved the 80's but I have to say they're doing well with Mana. Mana's actually able to help, and if she trips up she is determined to make up for it. I personally love her, especially in comparison to previous human allies of the Kitaro Family.

2007 is a favorite of mine, too. I've seen the entire thing and it's sad that it had to be cancelled at 100 episodes. :c Like you said, they both have great qualities so its hard to choose between them, but I still think 2018 might be the best for me after having a taste of them all.
Sep 2, 2018 10:35 AM

Jan 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed this episode... And, the whole time, I kept thinking of the anime ‘Elegant Yokai Apartment Life’, lol.
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Sep 2, 2018 11:02 AM

Mar 2015
I only heard of this anime because it replaced DB, so I don't have a large history. I think it's funny and great that so many DB CVs are in it though. :D

I am hoping all the foreshadowing on Mana will give a her a solid meaning to the show. If so, that will be really great. Otherwise I'm mostly seeing her as a human self insert type of character. Yokai have got to be so attracted to her for SOME reason. Even the Wally Wall loves her..haha. I don't dislike her character itself, but so many episodes became "Save Mana-chan!" that I grew a little bored with it. That's what I meant by the worst part of the show.

In this episode, I didn't care for the hotel landlady. However, she grew on me quickly with her past attachment to yokai and seeing how she was having such a bad time of her life, only to be saved by them in the end. Her life would have been tragic without them saving her, I think! I feel Mana needs more solid development and backstory like her. I need to see more of Mana and what made her so determined and courageous at such a young age compared to the rest of her classmates. Her Devil's Own Luck must have an origin...maybe? Hmm.
Raven_WingzSep 2, 2018 11:07 AM
Sep 2, 2018 12:28 PM
Apr 2016
Raven_Wingz said:
I feel Mana needs more solid development and backstory like her. I need to see more of Mana and what made her so determined and courageous at such a young age compared to the rest of her classmates. Her Devil's Own Luck must have an origin...maybe? Hmm.

Agree, we haven't got much on Mana in that sense. Keeping an eye out for it though. On her official description, it reads this: "She is highly curious and becomes fascinated with Kitarō and the other yōkai. While at first glance she may seem like just another friend of Kitarō's, there might be more to her..."
She grew more determined to help Kitaro after he sacrificed himself for her in the first episode, but before that she was still brave, too.

Since she's the new human MC, I wouldn't be surprised if we get more information on her later on. The series is going to air for at least 50 episodes and the previous adaptations have aired for usually ~100, so there's still plenty of time for that, but I'm hoping we'll get some more soon.

-----

On another notice for everyone wondering, GeGeGe no Kitaro 2018's broadcast will be paused next week to make room for FNS 27 Hour TV in the morning. Expect the next episode (24) on the 16th of September (JST).
Riza_KurtaSep 2, 2018 12:33 PM
Sep 3, 2018 3:34 AM

Oct 2008
This was a surprisingly great episode!
Not All youkai are to be feared and bad! There are some good youkai that would really be a live saver to humans!
Mess with Kitarou...and it's your end game!
5/5.

Sep 8, 2018 10:35 AM

Mar 2009
Easily one of the best episodes of the series, and that's saying something for a series with so many stellar episodes. The human and yokai coexistence was truly a wonderful thing here. This is an anime that continues to be deeply affecting and moving, and it's quickly become my favorite running show right now. Only hope it will continue for a long time.

Disappointed in myself for only now getting into the GeGeGe no Kitaro series. Hopefully I can go back one day and watch the older shows.
Sep 8, 2018 5:11 PM

Nov 2011
No new episode this week. This show is on a one week break.
Sep 13, 2018 8:08 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I actually thought the way this episode was structured was kinda weird, BUT I did end up enjoying it in the end! ;o;

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Nov 16, 2018 3:18 PM

Dec 2010
Raven_Wingz said:
Really great episode, probably my favorite so far. Long Neck Lady was so beautiful! The Frog woman more sensitive than you would think, and Umbrella Man was hilarious with his buffness and in your face attitude. It still seems to give the impression that yokai needed to be bested in combat in order to give anyone any respect though.

I originally I started watching this anime because I heard it put some yokai in a more positive light and also because I'm a Touhou fan I was interested in more yokai lore. This episode definitely delivered in both respects for me!

I've been watching 2007 and 2018 back to back, and I can really see the tone differences. I always find myself either getting teary eyed (rare) or smiling at the beautiful touching moments this show has. It really is a wonderful series! 2007 seems to be more light hearted and 2018 is seems more grim and depressing than 2007. There is a lot more yokai being shown in 2007 as well, which I like.

In some cases I prefer the 2007 version, like the Train to Hell, 2007 was much more endearing and bittersweet to me. However in 2018 we get to see Daddy Eyeball in his full adult body which was freaking awesome! So it's hard to say which I prefer. I don't think I'll go back farther than 2007 though, didn't like the 1996's style for Neko Musume.

I wonder how many more episode remakes there will be? I remember a 2007 episode about the Sand Witch owning the hotel this time, with the same 3 yokai in there with her. Is there a timeline? Kitaro is much more negative in 2018. In 2007 he was all for yokai being pals with humans, but now not so much. He also used to personally greet us viewers at the beginning of every episode, which I miss. :( Now it's just the same "look out behind you...".

Sorry I am late but I so agree to this post,I am watching both 2007 and 2018 I think I like the new one but Mana is the only part of the 2018 show that I dislike I don't hate her but I prefer the episodes without her,she is such an insertive character shes everywhere even the battles is base around her I could count how many times she saves the day like they can't win without her its annoying.I have just watch episode 17 of the 2007 version and the battle was a team effort battle with kitaro yokai friends (not the 2018 version where mana needs to help everyone because they are losing) oh well I wish I could just skip her scenes but unfortunately shes in almost every episode/scene tagging along in every situation sooner of later they are going to reveal that she is special in some stupid way as an explanation of why she is a scene hog lol
hack5Nov 16, 2018 3:22 PM
Dec 11, 2018 5:20 AM

Jan 2011
Sangaz said:

Made me think of Tokimeki Mononoke Jogakkou.
Oct 17, 2021 11:22 PM

Jul 2019
Rokurokubi was really pretty! I wouldn't mind living with her. ;)

Overall, a nice episode.
May 7, 2022 2:16 AM

Dec 2021
I love how they flashed back to the air dates of prior Gegege no Kitaro adaptations. This was such a good episode, so cozy, and such a happy end.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

moodie - Mar 31, 2018

109 by TripleC »»
Oct 23, 2023 2:35 AM

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2018

27 by gabrielloki »»
Aug 31, 2023 5:38 PM

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 95 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2020

7 by Punkero »»
Mar 31, 2023 5:59 PM

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 93 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2020

10 by Punkero »»
Mar 29, 2023 5:35 PM

Poll: » Gegege no Kitarou (2018) Episode 88 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 11, 2020

8 by Punkero »»
Mar 8, 2023 5:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.