Forums

Does the anime community have space for Conseratives

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 25, 2018 7:25 PM

Apr 2018
Cabron said:
9mm_Revy said:
mmm some of my friends who identify as conservative if anything, seem to only prefer the older shows as in their eyes "it's the only animes worth watching and everything else that isn't hand drawn, is garbage". I've tried to get them to different anime but they're so tied to the fact that if it's not hand drawn anime it's not worth their time and viewing and shouldn't be considered anime period as it's more of a watered down cartoon or whatever they say.
Aka the good ol "cartoons are for kids" excuse?

yea... They're some good guys but damn sometimes I just smh so hard I concuss myself
Aug 25, 2018 7:41 PM

Oct 2012
The anime community, unless you live in a coastal state, is mostly conservative. Anime push conservative values with quirky, bumbling females quite literally falling for incels with no distinguishing characteristic. Fanservice was designed to maintain a patriarchal outlook. It's not surprising that, even in Japan, anime fans lean conservative (according to a poll I once read, sorry don't have a link). Most people on MAL lean conservative. So rest assured, you're in the company of your own kind, and I don't say that kindly. :/
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Aug 25, 2018 8:37 PM

May 2018
katsucats said:
The anime community, unless you live in a coastal state, is mostly conservative. Anime push conservative values with quirky, bumbling females quite literally falling for incels with no distinguishing characteristic. Fanservice was designed to maintain a patriarchal outlook. It's not surprising that, even in Japan, anime fans lean conservative (according to a poll I once read, sorry don't have a link). Most people on MAL lean conservative. So rest assured, you're in the company of your own kind, and I don't say that kindly. :/

This. The anime community as a whole is conservative, against feminist,hate Muslims,support Hitler and Nazi etc. Left wing/liberal in anime community are in minority. CR is bad evidence since it's not actually Japanese. High Guardian is not anime,just another western cartoon.
Papa_ScorchAug 25, 2018 8:54 PM
Aug 25, 2018 8:43 PM

Mar 2015
ahh.. uhh... anime is very progressive for japanese standard, which is conservative for US standard... how ironic...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 25, 2018 9:13 PM

May 2009
Kuma said:
ahh.. uhh... anime is very progressive for japanese standard, which is conservative for US standard... how ironic...
That's a faulty comparison because the points you're comparing are:
* that the anime medium is seen as "progressive" by Japanese standards of social properness because it doesn't fit rather strict standards of what's considered proper social behavior, but
* that the anime medium is seen as "conservative" by western standards of gender roles, a point which actually isn't all that solid because anime is also seen as "liberal" by western standards of sexuality and sexual exhibitionism

So basically, the labels aren't working right because you're trying to apply them to a situation that is doesn't fit into one single axis of conservatism vs. progressivism/liberalism. If everything fit into the same axis, then crazy Bible-thumper types would be all over anime. But real life doesn't fit neatly into a single axis of political ideology, in general.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 25, 2018 9:26 PM

Mar 2015
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Kuma said:
That's a faulty comparison because the points you're comparing are:
* that the anime medium is seen as "progressive" by Japanese standards of social properness because it doesn't fit rather strict standards of what's considered proper social behavior, but
* that the anime medium is seen as "conservative" by western standards of gender roles, a point which actually isn't all that solid because anime is also seen as "liberal" by western standards of sexuality and sexual exhibitionism

So basically, the labels aren't working right because you're trying to apply them to a situation that is doesn't fit into one single axis of conservatism vs. progressivism/liberalism. If everything fit into the same axis, then crazy Bible-thumper types would be all over anime. But real life doesn't fit neatly into a single axis of political ideology, in general.

that's exactly my point tho... considering how OP try to potray that...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 25, 2018 10:37 PM

Feb 2014
Let's get some things straight:

1- No, no one is "wild hunting" conservatives in the anime community, and that's good

2- The guy in the video possibly pulled the victim card

3- A good part of the active people in this forum is non-conservative, so circlejerk will occur

4- Please don't mix Conservatives with NeoCons

Conservatism isn't about being a redneck, conservatism is about being skeptical of ideologies that claim to "be able to solve everything in society" and prefers, intead, to use the empirical method in society, maintaining historical institutions made by individuals that work (i.e. the Family, the free market, etc) and abandoning things that don't have a place in society anymore (i.e slavery and absolutism) and is closelly related with essentialism.

Some anime with "conservative" messages would, as i said earlier, Darling in the FranXX, another one would be Hakumei to Mikochi.
Aug 25, 2018 10:43 PM

Jan 2012
Then don't support liberal-trash companies with your hard-earned money...

...you can pirate anime with pride...
Aug 25, 2018 10:47 PM

Jan 2018
I didn't realize one needs to pick a political side in order to watch anime or stuffs that are made in japan. As for western agenda pushing out using entertainment, I couldn't care less.
Aug 25, 2018 10:50 PM

Jun 2017
That guy is exactly what I imagined RL nerds looked like.

Aug 25, 2018 10:57 PM

Dec 2016
蓼食う虫も好き好き (たでくうむしもすきずき)、Each to hiw own taste.

This is how I sum up this conclusion. The arguement of his man child is baseless in which he only argues for what he likes and not being considerate of the other spectrum of the opinion. Therefore, his arguements are linear and has no counter for his own. I remember a saying from a western professor, " Ameteurs argues their point to prove correctness. Professionals argue to prove they are wrong."
He basically has defeated himself at this point with his aggressive views of "One self as an example of all".

In the end, anime is for everyone. It is there because it brings people together and to share the love of the same. When, I first talked about anime, I did not make exclusions, rather people of the same fold. Who cares about politics? Ironically, anime as a media is entertainment and in the end, we should appreciate the work of the staff and their efforts. It hard enough already to make the show reach the silver screen.

Enjoy your show, but appreciate the people who brought it to you. Always be thankful.
Thank you for Reading.
Aug 25, 2018 11:04 PM

Apr 2017
What does it really matter? I mean the Crunchyroll anime will probably be garbage. Just don’t watch it if you are not interested in it. I highly doubt they care which side of the political spectrum their consumers are on. They just want you to buy the monthly subscription.
Aug 25, 2018 11:23 PM

Apr 2018
Japan is a conservative country ....so pretty sure we do
Most Anime are pretty conservative in general
And even yuri and yaoi anime aren't meant to satisfy the lgbtdjsksjskk+ community...yaoi is meant for girls and yuri for boys (or girls if it is just some cute stuff) as a form of fanservice

AkerakaiAug 25, 2018 11:34 PM
Aug 25, 2018 11:26 PM

May 2009
thewiru said:
Some anime with "conservative" messages would, as i said earlier, Darling in the FranXX, another one would be Hakumei to Mikochi.
Ever_Onward said:
There are shows with "conservative" elements. Like Hyouka.
I might be tempting fate here, since I want to watch FranXX and should be trying to avoid spoilers, but...

Can you please explain what you mean by these shows having "conservative" messages/elements?

The closest things to a specific political message (as opposed to a broader context of a moral message or simply an accepted portrayal of events) that I've found in anime are:
* Fresh Pretty Cure, whose ending could be seen as espousing individualism over conformity.
* Cross Ange, which is a particularly interesting example because a lot of people balked at the beginning of it while anti-SJW gits spent their time gloating at SJWs balking at it, but then (and I'm trying to avoid spoilers here) it turned out to be a story that could arguably be seen as a strong portrayal of female empowerment (though I don't hang out with feminists so I don't actually know what they think of it).
* The author of The Irregular at Magic High School is reportedly a conservative or liberatarian politically. I have no idea whether this relates at all to the story itself.

I can personally read political messages into some other things (e.g. Chain Chronicle: the Light of Haecceitas, RWBY season 3), but I kinda doubt that these were intended at all.

thewiru said:
3- A good part of the active people in this forum is non-conservative, so circlejerk will occur
"Circlejerks" can presumably occur with any group of people who share an opinion on anything, regardless of political ideology (and this includes conservatives too, of course), not to mention "non-conservative" basically is a catch-all for "everyone else" rather than a specific group.
GlennMagusHarveyAug 25, 2018 11:31 PM
Aug 25, 2018 11:27 PM

Oct 2013
Ehhhh, isn't Crunchyroll's "anime" just a cartoon? Modern cartoons have always pushed an agenda like that so this isn't really anything new.

As long as there is a market for more traditional anime it will be created and sold. I doubt Crunchyroll's series will influence too many people to eliminate the market, especially, those in Japan...

Your complaint mostly resolves around current hate in western countries around conservative views. Diversity is promoted but not in speech. Could it influence anime? The only fear would be if some stupid law was implemented but so far things look strong. For example: Japanese Response To UN Proposed Ban For Media from the Japanese Women’s Institute Of Contemporary Media Culture.
Aug 25, 2018 11:28 PM

Aug 2009
Don't care, as long as they keep their political agendas away from me, I'm good.

Aug 25, 2018 11:32 PM

Dec 2015
I think that anime is conservative in the Japanese way. If it wasn't then more series like Hourou Musuko or Kuragehime would come out. Whether the creators are aware of this themselves however is a completely different issue and whether it actually alignes with their own stance is probably completely irrelevant. Anime studios don't choose the series they make anyway but pick whatever they can get their hands on.

The fanbase however is pretty conservative. I don't know about the Japanese fanbase but at least MAL gives me the impression I'm a political minority amongst Western fans.
Aug 25, 2018 11:33 PM

May 2009
Ever_Onward said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I might be tempting fate here, since I want to watch FranXX and should be trying to avoid spoilers, but...

Can you please explain what you mean by these shows having "conservative" messages/elements?

The show contains a lot of tradition to begin with (relatively), but it's mainly Eru's choice at the end. I'm not going to dive into it because of spoilers.

Also, it's been quite a few years since I watched it so I may be misremembering something.
Ah, fair enough. There's a chance I might end up watching it at some point since I DO like the OP.

holysauron said:
I think that anime is conservative in the Japanese way. If it wasn't then more series like Hourou Musuko or Kuragehime would come out. Whether the creators are aware of this themselves however is a completely different issue and whether it actually alignes with their own stance is probably completely irrelevant. Anime studios don't choose the series they make anyway but pick whatever they can get their hands on.
By "conservative in the Japanese way" do you mean that they make business decisions such that they err on the side of caution and doing something perceived to be safe as far as creative ideas go?
Aug 26, 2018 12:14 AM

May 2010
About the video: the intolerance to differing opinion is a societal problem though, not wholly anime.

I find this a strange discussion because Japanese media can be so diverse. Not only this, everyone who gets into anime is a bit open-minded to another country's ideology and culture. Pushing a group of people out due to funding new media is a bit strange because #notallanime exists.

I mean, the enemies/antagonists in 70s mecha shows like Gundam or Combattler V have Caucasian features. And then black folks can be the sweetest people ever in anime. Plus, there's a lot of shoutouts to Axis countries like Hetalia. Then you have heroines like Chocolat in Sugar Sugar Rune.

If Americans are SO obsessed with the idea of increased diversity and representation, why aren't they celebrating what's existing already? Are people so blind to this because they only want a certain type of representation?
Aug 26, 2018 12:28 AM

Aug 2009
@GlennMagusHarvey

Talking about why the gender of their writers room or creative roles matter is divisive. Most people are simply not identitarians and don't care about issues around gender/race/sexuality etc. and the trailer was blatantly pushing the narrative that it wanted to push this identity driven idea on to it's viewers. Also there is the hypocrisy of wanting to be "diverse" and advocate for voices that are not represented, but they seem to be 100% white and mostly female. The point is agenda-driven politics in shows doesn't work. If they wanted people to watch their show for the story and characters they probably should have talked about that instead of their political agenda.

This isn't to say anime hasn't had feminist themes in it before, but they're not shoved in your face and they're not so blatant or intentional. There are a lot of ways to insert something political into an anime without leaning one way or the other and instead leave things up to the audience's interpretation, but they clearly want you to think one way in order to enjoy the anime. Maybe my perspective is just skewed, but this seems like a clear case of entryism, similar to how feminists infiltrated the gaming and comics communities.

As for your whole "why do you care". It seems obvious that they don't care about making a good show or the characters or story, because that isn't what is highlighted in the trailer. Furthermore they disabled comments and rating, because it was getting a negative response and the creators are actively heckling people that have anything negative to say about the trailer on twitter. It's because bringing blatant political agendas into a community is divisive and toxic and it will tear communities apart and polarize them. It will make it so the creators have less creative freedom and eventually they will create lack-luster products as it has done in both the comics and gaming communities. I don't think you'll understand my perspective, but here are some more videos with a more "emotional" response to the whole thing.

LoneWolfAug 26, 2018 12:36 AM

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aug 26, 2018 12:37 AM

Apr 2016
Its anime community OP, you can slap as many political shit in it as possible.

Unfortunately.
Aug 26, 2018 12:46 AM

Feb 2018
No there isn't a big push by the "left" to kick out all conservatives or at least if there is one I don't know about it. Where can I sign up ? Cuz I wouldn't mind kicking out everyone that keeps crying about the "left" being so mean to them.
And most companies don't really give a fuck as long as they can sell their stuff.
Aug 26, 2018 12:52 AM
Jul 2018
ill probably quit watching anime if the all the MCs go black lmao
Aug 26, 2018 12:54 AM

Apr 2016
Teekyuu said:

I told myself the same thing but instead of black it was gay, and well ... anime industry really wants me to quit watching anime as i can see.
Aug 26, 2018 12:55 AM

Dec 2015
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Ever_Onward said:

The show contains a lot of tradition to begin with (relatively), but it's mainly Eru's choice at the end. I'm not going to dive into it because of spoilers.

Also, it's been quite a few years since I watched it so I may be misremembering something.
Ah, fair enough. There's a chance I might end up watching it at some point since I DO like the OP.

holysauron said:
By "conservative in the Japanese way" do you mean that they make business decisions such that they err on the side of caution and doing something perceived to be safe as far as creative ideas go?

Not really, but I guess you can include that too. What I meant was politically and sociologically conservative in the Japanese way. Japanese culture has historically had different views than ours and anime tends to not stray away from those. One example of this is Shinsekai Yori where homosexuality is seen as a good way to experiment amongst teens but non-existent amongst adults. This is conform traditional Japanese views as homosexuality there has always been seen as just experimenting. Actual gay marriage and such were and still are heavily frowned upon.
Aug 26, 2018 12:58 AM

Mar 2016
hands up if you think this ""controversy"" was started by people in crunchyroll itself in order to publicize what looks like a generic mahou shoujo anime because god knows nobody would watch or even hear of it otherwise
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Aug 26, 2018 1:17 AM
Jul 2018
i had a dude tell me that his friends who are super conservative watch anime too
but ofc they don't watch anime with ecchi and shit
Aug 26, 2018 1:36 AM

May 2009
LoneWolf said:
@GlennMagusHarvey

Talking about why the gender of their writers room or creative roles matter is divisive. Most people are simply not identitarians and don't care about issues around gender/race/sexuality etc. and the trailer was blatantly pushing the narrative that it wanted to push this identity driven idea on to it's viewers.
See, the thing is, I don't care about this "identitarianism" (or whatever its new name is these days; I thought it was called "identity politics"?) at all, so that line...simply had no meaning to me, as I mentioned above.

I don't see how it becomes "divisive" unless you start out opposing this "identitarian" thing, rather than just being indifferent to it. In which case you also have an agenda to begin with, so then, pot meet kettle, basically.

LoneWolf said:
Also there is the hypocrisy of wanting to be "diverse" and advocate for voices that are not represented, but they seem to be 100% white and mostly female.
They did mention that their studio is 50% female, so (assuming that's true, and I have no reason to do otherwise at this time) credit to them on that, but I agree with your criticism that the group itself seems to be mostly white (possibly not entirely, not to mention that "white" is actually a bunch of different ethnicities itself) and is (as they explicitly said) 100% female in the writing team.

But, frankly speaking, I don't really care about the demographics of their staff. That all is mere trivia. If they do an effective job, they do a effective job. I literally pick the anime I watch without looking at any of the people who've worked on it -- no studio names, no writer names, etc.. Okay...maybe the soundtrack composer's name. Maybe.

LoneWolf said:
The point is agenda-driven politics in shows doesn't work. If they wanted people to watch their show for the story and characters they probably should have talked about that instead of their political agenda.
My take on this is that, if you or anyone else wants to make an agenda-driven political show, go ahead, make it. I'll decide after it comes out whether I like it or not. I don't see any problem with it simply existing; if I don't watch it, it'll just end up like the millions of other things out there that I don't give a damn about; if I do watch it and I don't like it, it still will be one among many things I don't like. And I enjoy it, then I had a good time and I'm satisfied.

LoneWolf said:
Maybe my perspective is just skewed, but this seems like a clear case of entryism, similar to how feminists infiltrated the gaming and comics communities.
I think your perspective is skewed, and the way you're saying all this smacks of the presumption that feminists are some sort of evil cabal hell-bent on reshaping the world according to their own twisted desires and are somehow more insidious than any other average Joe off the street who has an opinion on whatever. The video you posted is, like you suggested, a similar (in my opinion) overreaction. But I guess, since I'm here, I gave it a full watch.

I agree with that guy that the trailer had very little info on the show, aside from the aesthetics, and I would have liked to find out more.

(Sidenote: I came up with the same comparison that it looked like a combination of LWA and Steven Universe. Kinda amused that he echoed it.)

That said, like he himself pointed out, at least half of the trailer was just introducing some general "creators' perspective" info and talking about the show's premise, but then later he goes on and complains that "a majority, maybe seventy-five percent of this video is more focused about" that agenda/diversity/etc. thing. He just directly contradicted himself there, and just goes to show that he ends up with an outsized impression of how much of the trailer was dedicated to this agenda thing.

He gets very much into intent, and maybe there's also this other point to be made that...I just don't really think that matters that much. Yeah, it's good and all that the FLCL Progressive folks showed their enthusiasm for the work, but it's not like it really changes what they did, does it? And the same goes for pretty much every show. At some point, High Guardian Spice is gonna come out and I'm gonna decide whether or not I like it then, or whenever I get around to watching it.

(Y'know this is also reminding me of the big controversies over one of the Mighty No. 9 staffers drawing a picture of Mega Man as a girl. I have the game, for what it's worth; I think it's sorta meh, ironically meh in a way similar to the early Mega Man games, arguably because the backers demanded wayyyy to hard (and Inafking intended intended way too hard) for this thing to be some sort of Mega Man clone overall rather than standing on its own. Also it's poorly optimized and the controls interface could use some work. But my criticisms of it have jack-all to do with any alleged "feminist agenda". If anything, I criticize it for sticking too closely to the Mega Man source material! -- and that's not a criticism I had until AFTER the game had released and I had personally gotten a chance to play it. And yes, I was a backer, and in fact I don't regret being a backer.)

I've seen this same "emotional" response to a number of other things that involved some sort of change to some social grouping scene. I've been on Steam for years and I've seen people complain bitterly about how indie games showing up there and changing the whole "feel"/"identity"/"experience" of the Steam store and wanting all the pixelated 2D platformer "trash" gone. And this happened yet again when visual novels went big on Steam a few years after that; heck many people just hated on "anime games" in general.

I guess the difference is, I don't harbor any "suspicions" or such about this. I just don't care about this whole internet argument over these supposed agendas at all. (I also don't look at some girl with short hair dyed crazy colors and think "feminist".) I don't feel supported, I don't feel betrayed. So you can say what you want about these agendas and it basically falls flat on me. Don't like, don't watch; simple as that; no outrage necessary.

I'd be mightily surprised if Crunchyroll actually tried to force any of its users to watch this. By any even half-baked understanding of the entertainment business, they wouldn't, of course, which means that "don't like, don't watch" is in full effect, and -- unlike what the video you posted says -- Crunchyroll wouldn't be "pushing" this on anyone. Even if you go all the way to say that they supposedly have money that they could have spent on bringing more anime over...well, let's be pretty bluntly honest, there's always piracy on the high seas of the internet.

Also, unlike that guy, I'm not presumptuous enough to say "I know exactly what it's gonna be like". I don't. The thing hasn't even been made, for cryin' out loud, and even after it is, my experiences tell me that my expectations for creative storytelling like TV shows (including anime) are always, at best missing something, at worst quite far off the mark. And frankly, that just makes it more fun.

(Sidenote: I do agree that the whole idea/wording of "[context] needs feminism" is presumptuous and pushy.)

(......also I thought this didn't even look all that anime. :P So by definition it can't be a "feminist anime series".)

(Another sidenote: at least this guy you showed me seems reasonably able to talk about his opinions on things without sounding like a smug douche, which can't be said about some other youtubers. Thanks for showing me the vid; maybe I'll have more procrastination fodder.)

Edit: I didn't see your first video linked there when I replied. And I need to finish up a write-up before I go to sleep so I will probably not watch the first vid. Sorry.

Swagernator said:
Teekyuu said:

I told myself the same thing but instead of black it was gay, and well ... anime industry really wants me to quit watching anime as i can see.
Don't we already have Free?

holysauron said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Not really, but I guess you can include that too. What I meant was politically and sociologically conservative in the Japanese way. Japanese culture has historically had different views than ours and anime tends to not stray away from those. One example of this is Shinsekai Yori where homosexuality is seen as a good way to experiment amongst teens but non-existent amongst adults. This is conform traditional Japanese views as homosexuality there has always been seen as just experimenting. Actual gay marriage and such were and still are heavily frowned upon.
Ah, I see what you mean. That reminds me of some commentary I once read about how magical girls are a thing but that hasn't translated into grown women taking on more prominent roles socially.
GlennMagusHarveyAug 26, 2018 1:45 AM
Aug 26, 2018 2:01 AM

Jun 2017
This is the stupidest thread I've seen so far on this website.
Aug 26, 2018 2:15 AM

Oct 2010
Japanese companies make anime with themes that sell, like echi, isekai, school. They don't care about usa. Apparently CR is making a cartoon to cater to a certain fandom, if it flops, that means they don't know bussiness and are retarded. Ig it goes well good for them. People should make media out of everything.
CatalanoAug 26, 2018 2:31 AM
Aug 26, 2018 2:58 AM

Aug 2014
holysauron said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Um, are you sure the Bonobo experiment on homosexuality extends its influence on larger part to Japanese communities, as opposed to the idea that a mere author just finds it interesting as narrative plot? Afaik, SSY revolves around a more postmodern approach to societal institutions, but in the form of "repression". The anime expressed its intent to show narrative tones of "going back" and delimiting progress, but I believe it's not the same as "conservatism". The more accurate depiction of Japanese conservatism in anime is Paranoia Agent, here it shows how the Japanese "represses" things in the society, eventually succumbing into the "culture of cute-ness" as a form of repression.

"The problem really is that this particular kind of conservatism is really uniquely american: You can relatively easily find liberal/libertarian paeans, as well as conservative/reactionary/fascist ones in most cultures, but america's strange mix of liberalism and conservatism is pretty much absent elsewhere."

You are right though to address that conservatism is in a relative position. Even I don't understand all these political ramblings from American folks. My understanding of conservatism is not a political, economical, fiscal, or legal-influenced one, but rather on matters of cultural sphere and historicity.

Meanwhile, as little as my knowledge of US history can follow through, I personally think that conservatism of the West, isn't necessarily how the Japanese 's appears to be. Conservatism in West is more like, outright taboo and elimination of laws that will protect the minority. (The North-South divide). Japan in a historical sense, has a form of rigidity that is anchored on traditions, so most likely, a phrase such as "conservative Japan" isn't right in most context, but can also be right on some. The misconception is that, Japan has different views from the West so they can be conservative. Not really, it's just Japan takes too much time to change from their old traditions and that does not automatically tells that they're highly conservatives.

The debate, as to why not so much anime that leans on conservatism is being produced in Japan, is I believe, a tactical mechanism (I would even suggest "therapeutical") since Japanese people are still embracing their practice of repressing things. There has to be some way of involvement from the society where the people can be introduced of newer things (not necessarily progressive or libertarian ones), something that gives them non-traditional ones.

It makes sense then, that conservatist elements in anime is more rare since it isn't actually shaping an emancipatory form of Japanese society which they've been stucked to ever since the WWII.

HaeduansAug 26, 2018 3:02 AM
Aug 26, 2018 3:00 AM

Apr 2017
"hah stupid liberals with your safe spaces, grow up"

"THE ANIME COMMUNITY DOESN'T MAKE ME FEEL LOVED"
mal's raccoon

boop !
‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ hell yeah !
from the distant
year of

the
are after me !
Aug 26, 2018 3:04 AM

Apr 2018
I thought anime stopped being such a propaganda way back
Aug 26, 2018 3:05 AM

Apr 2015
Never even heard of this dude but making 16 minutes long video to just say "I don't care about my audience's political stand" tells otherwise imo. Also lol this is about cartoons man.

As for politics in anime industry that's too late to cry about
Aimed at young kids in the 60's and cast more diverse than CR wet dream, mc is half-japanese who was sent to youth prison because he turned to criminality for not getting job due to being half-white and Japan is racist, anti-war theme over all to sent message about Cold War. Still popular and loved franchise.

Or go to the other end and you'll get Yoshinori Kobayashi's manga Neo Gōmanism which is nationalistic, anti-USA and twists historical happenings to suit his agenda. Caused quite controversy when published.

Anyway, if CR does bad customer service stop giving them money, that's all there is to do. And anime industry generally sides with current opposition as LDP isn't so big on freedom of expression and freedom of speech. Are we done yet with this "politics in my cartoons" topic?
Aug 26, 2018 3:28 AM

Dec 2015
Haeduans said:
holysauron said:

Um, are you sure the Bonobo experiment on homosexuality extends its influence on larger part to Japanese communities, as opposed to the idea that a mere author just finds it interesting as narrative plot? Afaik, SSY revolves around a more postmodern approach to societal institutions, but in the form of "repression". The anime expressed its intent to show narrative tones of "going back" and delimiting progress, but I believe it's not the same as "conservatism". The more accurate depiction of Japanese conservatism in anime is Paranoia Agent, here it shows how the Japanese "represses" things in the society, eventually succumbing into the "culture of cute-ness" as a form of repression.

"The problem really is that this particular kind of conservatism is really uniquely american: You can relatively easily find liberal/libertarian paeans, as well as conservative/reactionary/fascist ones in most cultures, but america's strange mix of liberalism and conservatism is pretty much absent elsewhere."

You are right though to address that conservatism is in a relative position. Even I don't understand all these political ramblings from American folks. My understanding of conservatism is not a political, economical, fiscal, or legal-influenced one, but rather on matters of cultural sphere and historicity.

Meanwhile, as little as my knowledge of US history can follow through, I personally think that conservatism of the West, isn't necessarily how the Japanese 's appears to be. Conservatism in West is more like, outright taboo and elimination of laws that will protect the minority. (The North-South divide). Japan in a historical sense, has a form of rigidity that is anchored on traditions, so most likely, a phrase such as "conservative Japan" isn't right in most context, but can also be right on some. The misconception is that, Japan has different views from the West so they can be conservative. Not really, it's just Japan takes too much time to change from their old traditions and that does not automatically tells that they're highly conservatives.

The debate, as to why not so much anime that leans on conservatism is being produced in Japan, is I believe, a tactical mechanism (I would even suggest "therapeutical") since Japanese people are still embracing their practice of repressing things. There has to be some way of involvement from the society where the people can be introduced of newer things (not necessarily progressive or libertarian ones), something that gives them non-traditional ones.

It makes sense then, that conservatist elements in anime is more rare since it isn't actually shaping an emancipatory form of Japanese society which they've been stucked to ever since the WWII.

To be honest I have never even heard of the bonobo experiment and the only thing I can find on the internet is about some monkey named Kanzi who, after a while, learned to communicate through lexicams. I guess that isn't what you meant though? As for Shinsekai Yori I forgot what it was all about. It's been two years since I've seen it after all. Thinking back though you're absolutely right.

About American conservationism: I think I have a decent grasp on it since I'm almost exclusively on the American side of the internet but it still baffles me everyday. It's so different from European conservationism after all. You're also partly right about Japan. However their government nowadays is what I would call very conservative with many politicians, including the prime minister, wanting to go back to pre-WWII Japan. I don't know how common this thought is amongst the average Japanese but if that isn't conservative or even backwards thinking I don't know what is, and I mean that in every cultural meaning of the word.
Aug 26, 2018 4:03 AM
Aug 2018
I think conservatives could just as well belong to the anime community as anyone, but as long as it's for entertainment, not politics. I'm also a bit conservative, but that doesn't influence what I like to watch and especially not my anime.
Aug 26, 2018 4:10 AM
Aug 2018
Ever_Onward said:
Honestly, conservatives don't exist anymore. Everyone's a progressive whether they like it or not. Lmao. As for the new "anime," what CR does doesn't really matter so much, as others have said.

Progressivism may as well be an unstoppable force at this point. Western civilization has been "progressing" in the social sense for, what, 500 years? Every now and then there's a meager resurgence of right-wing/traditional sentiment but that's about it.

May as well content yourself with the reality that anime will eventually begin to incorporate more progressive elements, since Japan may be resistant to progressivism but they're far from immune to it.

Conservatism basically means to keep things like they are, which isn't really possible because society continues to change. Only some rural communities like the Amish don't change. Many ''conservatives'' are only not content with the current change and so think it shouldn't have happened.
Aug 26, 2018 5:04 AM
Aug 2018
Ever_Onward said:
JohnviRomanum said:

Conservatism basically means to keep things like they are, which isn't really possible because society continues to change. Only some rural communities like the Amish don't change. Many ''conservatives'' are only not content with the current change and so think it shouldn't have happened.

My point is more that conservatives by modern standards are progressives by the standards of 50 years ago, and those conservatives from 50 years ago are progressives by the standards of 50 years before them, and so on.

I don't think modern conservatives are remotely conservative when placed along the entire spectrum of political belief. We're all progressives now.
Modern conservatives think bank to when they were young or eager bank to the times they never experienced.
Aug 26, 2018 5:20 AM

Aug 2013
Akerakai said:
And even yuri and yaoi anime aren't meant to satisfy the lgbtdjsksjskk+ community...yaoi is meant for girls and yuri for boys (or girls if it is just some cute stuff) as a form of fanservice

This.
Anime is not infected with SJW garbage and LGBTQWERTYWTF/leftie "values" (yet), thankfully. That's probably one of the reasons why so many people loves it.
I consider myself as conservative and I don't have any problems with reading yuri manga and watching ecchi stuff. It's a fiction.
JohnviRomanum said:

Conservatism basically means to keep things like they are

*Certain values + preserving own history, traditions and culture.
rsc-plAug 26, 2018 5:29 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Aug 26, 2018 5:32 AM

Feb 2013
yes im sure its plenty of conservatives around here and in production comittee (looking at you comitees who keep making 1 cour light novel adaptations)
Aug 26, 2018 5:35 AM
Aug 2018
rsc-pl said:
Akerakai said:

This.
Anime is not infected with SJW garbage and LGBTQWERTYWTF/leftie "values" (yet), thankfully. That's probably one of the reasons why so many people loves it.
I consider myself as conservative and I don't have any problems with reading yuri manga and watching ecchi stuff. It's a fiction.
JohnviRomanum said:

Conservatism basically means to keep things like they are

*Certain values + preserving own history, traditions and culture.
Preserving own culture is nationalism, because many conservatives often don't do that and even help breaking that down
Aug 26, 2018 7:11 AM

Aug 2007
Wahhhhhh help I'm a Conservative I'm being oppressed by the people I call snowflakes!!!!

Aug 26, 2018 8:28 AM

Aug 2018
LeWannabeOtaku said:
Considering the reaction to the recent crunchyroll anime I would be inclined to believe that the majority of the anime community already is conservatives anyway.

There's a whole lot of left-leaning people, like myself, who didn't like that "trailer" one bit.

They could have done better.
Aug 26, 2018 8:31 AM

Jun 2016
As a 4chan using right wing libertarian I say yes. I never knew anime was restricted only to people with certain political ideologies.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 26, 2018 9:40 AM

Jul 2015
The only space for conservatives is hell.

Aug 26, 2018 9:54 AM

Sep 2017
both sides need to stop being annoying snowflakes and demanding their shitty values to be in anime.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Aug 26, 2018 9:58 AM
Jul 2018
I know plenty of conservatives and/or right leaning libertarians who watch anime. And we get along fine, we just don't talk politics. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 26, 2018 10:51 AM

Jan 2017
GamerDLM said:
Anime is such a huge spectrum that there should be something for everyone regardless of political beliefs. Granted since this is a conversation including Bobsamurai my only exposure to him are his videos of him trying to morally high ground a bunch of features in anime that he hates without any evidence of why they should be limited or removed other than "they make me feel bad/uncomfortable/etc."

So if his position is that of conservatives in the anime community then I think it's less that the industry should cater to them and more that they are actively trying to stay out of the community because they want to change anime to cater to them. Which I think is wrong because the "such and such is killing anime" community is easily the most toxic aspect and he's definitely a part of it. Like even in this case who cares if Crunchyroll is making a series that doesn't directly pander to him, there's literally thousands of other series with dozens releasing each season.

Couldn't have said it better myself
Aug 26, 2018 10:52 AM
Mar 2011
based on mal people like me are the hige Minoity of the fan base
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 26, 2018 11:02 AM

Jul 2015
I judge people based on content of their character, not skin colour and I watch anime, so...

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 5 hours ago

20 by luckyrune »»
1 minute ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 30 minutes ago

8 by Daviljoe193 »»
1 minute ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 2 hours ago

3 by Timeline_man »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

42 by Kenzolo-folk »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 22

36 by bucciest »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.