Forum Settings
Forums

I'm so annoyed that people can change their user name

New
Aug 13, 2018 8:10 PM

Oct 2013
I know it has been implemented for a few years now, but it has really kill the sense of individuality on mal imo, just like the real world, your name is important to each individual, it is what is use to identify each one of us.

Just imagine if we were able to just change our name when we feel like, that will cause a lot of confusion and make identifying each one of us almost imposssible, that is what has happen at mal.

I remember asking a user a simple question on his profile, and days gone by and he did not respond, I was wondering why until I realise that the user was someone I argue a lot with in the past and we are not at good term, I look ay my friend list and most persons I do not recognize, what is worst is that most users dont keep their profile pic or forum pic, which is not a problem, the problem is the name change.

I have people commenting on my profile that I have not spoken to in years and they make sure in advance to give me a little back story about themself so I can remember them, but they would not have needed to do all that if they had just stick with their username.

Now I am on mal forums and it feels like I don't recognize most people because the majority has change their name and dp, if everyone had stick to their username I bet I would have remember each individual user even if 10 years had past without even visiting mal.

This was a big mistake by mal, they should have made it very difficult for persons to change their name. What do you guyd think?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 13, 2018 8:15 PM

Jul 2013
i can't believe people have free will

how dare they?!

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Aug 13, 2018 8:24 PM

Oct 2010
You can change your name irl too if you really want to.
Aug 13, 2018 8:29 PM

Aug 2009
The same shit gets boring after a while.

Aug 13, 2018 8:30 PM

Sep 2007
You should change your name to insolentfool.

Aug 13, 2018 8:31 PM

Apr 2017
@devilly agrees as he hates people with multiple usernames
mal's raccoon

boop !
‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ hell yeah !
from the distant
year of

the
are after me !
Aug 13, 2018 9:08 PM
Jul 2018
Hey, I stick on this username for three years and I was kicking ass on CD and AD that time. How dare you.
Aug 13, 2018 9:08 PM

Oct 2013
Usagi said:

Yes but it is not a normsl thing to do.

Fuchsia said:
i can't believe people have free will

how dare they?!

It has nothing to do with that, its just that individuality is mostly kill now, we might as well turn this site into 4chan and be anonymous.

Next month you can change your username and dp, and I would never know that I had spoken to you a month ago. That is the point I'm making.

I would like to be able to can distinguish my friends from my enemy, is that too hard to understand?
Aug 13, 2018 9:28 PM
Jul 2018
nah man you got it backwards
it actually makes it better than other sites
bc unlike mal crunchyroll doesn't allow you to change your username
and thus my username is still the cringey one i came up w/ when i was 12 years old
ergo no i would say changing your username, and only limiting it to once a month at that, not like u can do it more frequently, is actually a useful feature
Aug 13, 2018 9:33 PM

Jul 2012
I've had the same sig for like 4 years if that helps.

It does get rid of that veteran feeling if everyone is always fresh I guess.

MAL should have a this user was previously option though that would be cool.
MiraniaAug 13, 2018 9:40 PM
Aug 13, 2018 9:56 PM

Aug 2014
keragamming said:
Next month you can change your username and dp, and I would never know that I had spoken to you a month ago. That is the point I'm making.

I totally get your point, and it sometimes bugs me too when people change their online identity...but I wanted to point out that if you talked to someone on here, there's usually a record of it, so you can go back to that record and at least see some things. Examples include private messages, the Conversation link in profile comments, and going through the comments on your own profile.
Aug 13, 2018 10:11 PM

Jan 2009
Names and pictures may change, but IDs will always stay the same.
Aug 13, 2018 10:17 PM

Jan 2017
@deg lol thought of you when I saw this. Hey - at least I finally remember your new name now! (you'll probably change it like tomorrow since I said that, huh?) ;)

Aug 13, 2018 10:26 PM
Jul 2018
J_LEE_C said:
@deg lol thought of you when I saw this. Hey - at least I finally remember your new name now! (you'll probably change it like tomorrow since I said that, huh?) ;)
I doubt j0x will change his username because of trivial thing like this.
Aug 13, 2018 11:04 PM

Jun 2015
I think it's perfectly okay to change your username on here. They're still the same person. If you want to know who they are or if you know them, there's digital footprints like what someone said as comments, private PM, etc.

I changed my name back in 2015 or 2016 to Cosmos because it sounded more original and me compared to my old one. I like the rights to changing my username. But I wouldn't change my username for anything else tbh since i'm synonymous with my username now. Can't really be mad since it's their choice to change their username, not yours.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 13, 2018 11:07 PM

Dec 2016
What if you had to intentionally misspell your user name because someone else already took it and you couldn't fight them to the death over it? What about those people? Asking for a friend btw. <_<
Aug 13, 2018 11:18 PM

Aug 2014
I'm not too fond of people changing names either, but I'm still glad it exists. Some people made accounts when they were a lot younger and made questionable choices with their names.
Aug 13, 2018 11:30 PM

Apr 2015
keragamming said:
I know it has been implemented for a few years now, but it has really kill the sense of individuality on mal imo, just like the real world, your name is important to each individual, it is what is use to identify each one of us.

Just imagine if we were able to just change our name when we feel like, that will cause a lot of confusion and make identifying each one of us almost imposssible, that is what has happen at mal.

I remember asking a user a simple question on his profile, and days gone by and he did not respond, I was wondering why until I realise that the user was someone I argue a lot with in the past and we are not at good term, I look ay my friend list and most persons I do not recognize, what is worst is that most users dont keep their profile pic or forum pic, which is not a problem, the problem is the name change.

I have people commenting on my profile that I have not spoken to in years and they make sure in advance to give me a little back story about themself so I can remember them, but they would not have needed to do all that if they had just stick with their username.

Now I am on mal forums and it feels like I don't recognize most people because the majority has change their name and dp, if everyone had stick to their username I bet I would have remember each individual user even if 10 years had past without even visiting mal.

This was a big mistake by mal, they should have made it very difficult for persons to change their name. What do you guyd think?

"I hate how people can change their username so for this reason alone, I think everyone shouldn't be able to change their username"

is how I read your thread.

Aug 13, 2018 11:32 PM
Jul 2018
Yes I agree it's annoying but a lot of people don't take the internet all that seriously to think of the "repercussions" of changing their name. They do as they please. It's the internet. That's all. If MAL were to prevent name changes or were to be stricter on the matter, there would probably be a rise in multiple accounts; possibly causing more confusion. Maybe
Aug 13, 2018 11:36 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah it does get confusing at times. But people should be able to change their "online identity" and all that shit. That's the perk of having online anonymity.

It must have confused the shit out of you then when Fate fans changed their names with Priest on it when UBW was airing.
Aug 13, 2018 11:52 PM

Apr 2016
What in the shit did i just read.

Ardanaz said:
I'm not too fond of people changing names either, but I'm still glad it exists. Some people made accounts when they were a lot younger and made questionable choices with their names.

I dont know what youre talking about.
Aug 14, 2018 12:11 AM

Aug 2014
Swagernator said:
What in the shit did i just read.

Ardanaz said:

I dont know what youre talking about.

You have a lot of swager though :>
Could always change your name to Kitchenator
Aug 14, 2018 12:31 AM

Jan 2014
Eh don't see no point in being bothered by it. Maybe someone wants to grab a nice name that's available or interests them. Good thing it's a feature cuz I'd rather not kept my old cringe name and having to create another account to get another name smh.

Aug 14, 2018 12:58 AM

Jan 2018
I don't know what you did to get enemies around here but if they want to change name, go ahead. I read your name as in monkeygaming, op.
Aug 14, 2018 1:00 AM

Apr 2017
hey man if i couldn't change my name i'd still be "koolkai123" and that'd be bad for everybody
mal's raccoon

boop !
‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ hell yeah !
from the distant
year of

the
are after me !
Aug 14, 2018 1:01 AM

Sep 2017
I used to change my user a lot cause I couldn't decide which one fit the best. After getting the one I currently have though I feel no need to change it anymore, I like it a lot. I feel like changing your user is a nice feature because sometimes you just want something new.
Aug 14, 2018 1:16 AM
Jul 2018
you can only change it once a month or change it to a canon username like once a year i think
that's not bad
also there are people who don't like their usernames
Aug 14, 2018 1:22 AM

Sep 2011
Well, it's true that once they've changed their username, if you're not close to that user, you'll most likely not be able to recognize him/her and it gets kinda annoying. And I admit that I kept changing usernames before(CharbbyLoves, Sa-chan_, forgot the other usernames that I've used) but this time I'll finally be able to stick with this username forever.
TennoujiAug 14, 2018 1:26 AM

Aug 14, 2018 4:34 AM

Feb 2014
your taste changes so it only makes sense to give us the chance to change names
more sites need this option.. still waiting for lastfm to add this feature
Aug 14, 2018 5:11 AM

Aug 2012
In most cases, people change their name to cope with their developing personality. People change, and so they feel the urge to display that using their username and display picture. The argument that you don't remember them really doesn't hold up, since it obstructs the choice the other person can do. You're not obliged to tell people what to do.

Usagi said:

Depends on the country. Some countries don't allow changes in name unless it went through court approval. They are troublesome and unless your name is something like Willy Wonka, alot of courts won't really take your case with much interest.
YarubAug 14, 2018 5:14 AM
Aug 14, 2018 5:14 AM

Oct 2015
you can't stop change, if people wanna change then let them change. who's gonna stop them?

ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇꜱ
ꜱᴇᴛ ʙʏ ᴍᴀᴢᴇ <3!

Aug 14, 2018 6:18 AM

Jul 2015
I like that you can change your username. Sometimes it gets confusing, but most people just put their old usernames on their profile

If only Snapchat had the same feature........ sigh
Aug 14, 2018 6:19 AM

May 2016
Yeah! fuck all of them motherfuckers who change their username. Fuck 'em all.
Bitch-ass snakes that they are
~ Nas, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Formerly known as:
~ Gokuvich, The "OG Bulgarian"~
Aug 14, 2018 6:19 AM
Jul 2018
Dimethylanime said:
lmao i got a friend whos sc user is like fuckin minecraftlover22swag or some shit and the only reason why hes not giving it up is cuz hes close to like 1000 with someone
Aug 14, 2018 6:24 AM

Jul 2015
complice said:
Dimethylanime said:
lmao i got a friend whos sc user is like fuckin minecraftlover22swag or some shit and the only reason why hes not giving it up is cuz hes close to like 1000 with someone

SAME. I made mine when I was younger and my username is literally the dumbest thing I have ever concocted. So whenever hot boys ask for my Snapchat they’ll be immediately turned off. Woe is me.

in short: let ppl change their usernames, it’s for the greater good
Aug 14, 2018 6:26 AM

Apr 2014
there are people with many nicknames and depending where you are in the world your legal name might not be that much more important than a false one
Aug 14, 2018 6:28 AM

Feb 2015
Onii-chan said:
J_LEE_C said:

actually took me like 2 weeks to finally realize that j0x = isekai
Aug 14, 2018 6:31 AM

Dec 2015
But the ability to choose what your online identity should be is also a part of individuality? The fuck are you on?

xx0:44 ─🔘────────────── 04:44x
xxxxxxxxx ❚❚ xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aug 14, 2018 6:52 AM

Oct 2013
_Ako_ said:
Onii-chan said:

Oh, I thought he had retired, this is what I thought with a lot of users, but apparently they all have just change their name and we discuss together a lot and I don't even realise it.

Like I get the point some people are saying that people can do what they want, the thing is Mal at first didn't allow it, I think they should not allow unless its some rare case, where the person has a ridiculous username. People are too spoiled these days.

Lunafleurette said:
But the ability to choose what your online identity should be is also a part of individuality? The fuck are you on?

And if you change it, you restart it, basically having a new identity.
Aug 14, 2018 6:53 AM

Apr 2016
keragamming said:
And if you change it often, you restart it, basically having a new identity.

Its 2018 people change their identities like socks.
Aug 14, 2018 6:55 AM

Dec 2015
keragamming said:
_Ako_ said:

Oh, I thought he had retired, this is what I thought with a lot of users, but apparently they all have just change their name and we discuss together a lot and I don't even realise it.

Like I get the point some people are saying that people can do what they want, the thing is Mal at first didn't allow it, I think they should not allow unless its some rare case, where the person has a ridiculous username. People are too spoiled these days.

Lunafleurette said:

Implying all it takes to change an identity is a name rofl

Get over it, it's 2018.

xx0:44 ─🔘────────────── 04:44x
xxxxxxxxx ❚❚ xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Aug 14, 2018 7:13 AM

Jan 2015
sounds like senseless whining to me

ur opinion = shit
Aug 14, 2018 7:14 AM

Jan 2015
Lunafleurette said:
keragamming said:

Implying all it takes to change an identity is a name rofl

Get over it, it's 2018.

LOL well some.ppl these days are stuck on what makes their identity with categorical rep like gender and sexuality, does ir really surprise u that it could be names too

ur opinion = shit
Aug 14, 2018 7:28 AM

Feb 2010
Yeah well it happens. I changed my name in the past a few times. You just gotta be aware that losing or weaking some of your relationships on MAL is part of it. Like I have some people with whom I chat with regularly but I have no idea who they actually are because they changed their name a million times. Those won't be very personal conversations even if I might have known the guy for years already. But whatever, not my issue, I still have enough people who I do remember.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 14, 2018 7:55 AM

Dec 2016
I'm glad the option exists because it's useful for people like me who gets bored of monotony very easily; I've changed my username a lot of times since I've joined.

It's also useful for people who didn't give much of a shit at the time of joining and could have chosen a very laughable username.

Also it's not really that hard to identify a user who has changed his name and his profile and forum pictures atst, in fact I'd say it's not hard at all, since you can still recognise someone with the statistics (days, mean score, amount of completed, etc) and favorites, info that relatively remains the same.... and info like profile comments, private messages, forum replies, and joining date, info that suffers no change with usernames changes.

Anyway, who cares? why should it matter? It's just the internet, not the real world where your name does really matter and there are relevant consequences of changing it in societal/family/bureaucracy terms...
Aug 14, 2018 8:13 AM
Jul 2018
I find the name changing feature mad sexy, fam.
Aug 14, 2018 9:00 AM
Aug 2016
I feel like what actually bothers you isn't that people can change their names, is that you can't recognize someone because they have another name, and if you talked with them and then they didn't keep in touch with you, after years you won't be able to recognize them.
That's why is good to delete people from your list if they don't intend to keep in touch with you. That's what I do.
Aug 14, 2018 9:06 AM

Oct 2014
I'm sure it's an inconvenience, but so is registering with a username that you end up despising years down the road. Choose your evil.
Aug 14, 2018 9:07 AM

Mar 2015
Well you do have to wait a month before changing it, so nobody goes around changing it every minute; that'd be bizarre.

Aug 14, 2018 12:17 PM

Jan 2009
J_LEE_C said:

nah i will stick with this username for a long long time

the j0x username is conflicting with the jox user here
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Are you going to apologize?

LenRea - Mar 25

27 by cody »»
7 minutes ago

» Who is the most perverted person you irl ?

Thy-Veseveia - 23 minutes ago

0 by Thy-Veseveia »»
23 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

24 by DreamWindow »»
29 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

41 by Merve2Love »»
1 hour ago

» Over the years, I began to be repulsed by pork, is there any explanation for this?

Absurdo_N - Mar 26

27 by Rhaelynne »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.