Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 9, 2018 6:46 PM

Oct 2015
Is it cause of the CGI bear?
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 9, 2018 6:50 PM
Aug 2016
Relax wtf loool it just came out give it time it was a good first episode
Apr 9, 2018 6:51 PM

Oct 2015
shiroyashaebk said:

there's worse shows that have higher score on their first eps /shrug
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Apr 9, 2018 6:57 PM
Nov 2017
calm down man, do you know that houseki no kuni started with a 6.90 and ended with an 8.50 and besides rating doesn't matter just enjoy the show

Apr 9, 2018 7:02 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Honestly, it is the CGI bear. Looking at the episode poll and how there's only ~33% 5/5s, most people's current rating is noticeably low. And everyone's only major complaint is the bear XD

7.39's a good start though, and as others have stated, this current rating means nothing about its final score.
Apr 9, 2018 7:04 PM
Sep 2016
I dont really know why its does not deserve to be above 8 as a score, I think it's because there is not much people that is convened about the story. I would hate that they starts to make negative reviews without seeing nor half of the series, in truth it doesnt matter for me but they should read what they write and try to be constructive.
Apr 9, 2018 7:37 PM
Jan 2016
Probably because some people do not like it as much as you. Simple, really.
Apr 9, 2018 7:44 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
ColdNobility said:
A friend of mine who read this series said it wasn't as "brutal" as the manga was so maybe a portion of the votes are manga readers with expectations that are too high?
I think almost every manga reader expected this anime to censor the gore. It's nothing surprising, really.
Apr 9, 2018 7:55 PM
May 2015
the animation as a whole, bear is only a part of it
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2018 8:06 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Why does everyone get all uppity about people who jump the gun with their ratings? They're obviously not the people here for the long haul.
Apr 9, 2018 8:16 PM

Oct 2015
I hope it increases soon XD this is gonna affect my FAL score hihi and it seems like Piano no Mori isn't doing to well as I hoped it would too
Apr 9, 2018 8:37 PM
Apr 2017
GoldenDevilGamer said:
ColdNobility said:
A friend of mine who read this series said it wasn't as "brutal" as the manga was so maybe a portion of the votes are manga readers with expectations that are too high?
I think almost every manga reader expected this anime to censor the gore. It's nothing surprising, really.

Yeah it wasnt as brutal as the manga. And yes, it isnt surprising but the anime is still good.
Apr 9, 2018 8:38 PM

Dec 2017
Because it sucks bruh.
Apr 9, 2018 8:41 PM

Jun 2014
Scarlett_ryuken said:
shiroyashaebk said:

there's worse shows that have higher score on their first eps /shrug
And?

Youve seen enough anime to not let things like this bother you.
Apr 9, 2018 9:00 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
MutexFate said:
Because it sucks bruh.
Never knew that people are able to judge the quality of an entire series just from one episode XD
Apr 9, 2018 9:08 PM
Aug 2017
Honestly, most of the discussion threads were about the CG bear, which definitely influenced the show’s rating. I do think it deserves better, but just wait 3 more months. Scores doesn’t really matter in the beginning.
Apr 9, 2018 9:19 PM
Sep 2016
sAME WAY PEOPLE SAY
GoldenDevilGamer said:
MutexFate said:
Because it sucks bruh.
Never knew that people are able to judge the quality of an entire series just from one episode XD

IKR...people saying it's good from the first ep XD
1.1.Six
Apr 9, 2018 9:23 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
JudoJD said:
sAME WAY PEOPLE SAY
GoldenDevilGamer said:

IKR...people saying it's good from the first ep XD
Well, it makes more sense for a manga reader, who knows how things will play out and how the writing style of the series changes, to make an assumption than a non-manga reader who's basing all of their opinions simply off of the first episode.
Apr 9, 2018 9:53 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah CGI bear might be the case here :( But its only based on 1st episode though and there are lot of episode left
Apr 9, 2018 10:04 PM

Jan 2015
remember how youjo senki started? and where its now? relax, a good anime will always get higher
Apr 10, 2018 4:02 AM
Sep 2017
GoldenDevilGamer said:
MutexFate said:
Because it sucks bruh.

• MC single-handedly breaking WWI-style trench line. If you're going for Black Lagoon level of realism, at least bother to include some dual-wielding chicks.
  • We see MC fighting in Japan-Russian war and shouting "I'm immortal Sugimoto". Two seconds later random drunk dumps exposition of the same fucking events. To the guy who fucking lived through this events. And how the fuck a random drunk would know this anyway?
  • Then random drunk just casually tells MC a story about gold? Why? The? Fuck? Would he tell this story to this man?
  • Playing pokemon with tatooed prisoners is an incredibly dumb means of coding.
  • So the army's plan to get gold was to "transport" prisoners somewhere. What does this even mean? How is "transporting" achieve anything? If the plan was to let the prisoners escape and see where they go, how come the entire convoy got murdered?
  • Dead friend in a flashback says "once the war ends, relationships between Japan and the US will get worse". How exactly a foot soldier can predict that?
  • Turns out random drunk didn't even mean to tell the gold story, because apparently it's a secret. Why? The? Fuck? He opened his mouth in a first place?

This wasn't even an episode, it was 10 minutes. I lost brain cells watching this.
Apr 10, 2018 4:16 AM

Dec 2015
Still watching episode 1. Doesn't look that interesting - so far.
And there are other better showas with lower score. Everything between 7.00 and 8.00 is fine.

Need to see how the story develops and what other chars might join the main group to see if it is worth watching later. At the beginning (have only watched 2/3 of the 1st episodes) this feels like treasure hunting and being "seinen" not because of a deep plot but because of lots of blood and stuff like that.

Which means personally I probably would not score it higher than 8 and 7 as MAL average score seems fine to me. (I have other shows where the MAL mean score is 2 or more different from my own score.)
Apr 10, 2018 4:17 AM

Apr 2018
What do you say? the bear was beautiful!!

Apr 10, 2018 5:09 AM
Feb 2018
AbuelitaDeBatman said:
What do you say? the bear was beautiful!!

Best joke ever, dude =V
Apr 10, 2018 6:29 AM
Jun 2017
Well its just the first episode so dont expect that it will have as high as it is. Just let the series aired it episode and who knows many might appreciate it...

Anyways i like the first episode as a whole, its plot is interesting... lets see what will happened on this one...

*the only comment im reading is all about the CGI/animation of bear. Well for me its fine, i mean its nearly a realistic one. Hahaha...
Apr 10, 2018 6:39 AM
Mar 2018
RedScarf314 said:
GoldenDevilGamer said:

• MC single-handedly breaking WWI-style trench line. If you're going for Black Lagoon level of realism, at least bother to include some dual-wielding chicks.
  • We see MC fighting in Japan-Russian war and shouting "I'm immortal Sugimoto". Two seconds later random drunk dumps exposition of the same fucking events. To the guy who fucking lived through this events. And how the fuck a random drunk would know this anyway?
  • Then random drunk just casually tells MC a story about gold? Why? The? Fuck? Would he tell this story to this man?
  • Playing pokemon with tatooed prisoners is an incredibly dumb means of coding.
  • So the army's plan to get gold was to "transport" prisoners somewhere. What does this even mean? How is "transporting" achieve anything? If the plan was to let the prisoners escape and see where they go, how come the entire convoy got murdered?
  • Dead friend in a flashback says "once the war ends, relationships between Japan and the US will get worse". How exactly a foot soldier can predict that?
  • Turns out random drunk didn't even mean to tell the gold story, because apparently it's a secret. Why? The? Fuck? He opened his mouth in a first place?

This wasn't even an episode, it was 10 minutes. I lost brain cells watching this.

1. it's shame that i can't explain this with other than plot armor
2. you are assuming that they just meet that day, it's hinted that they've meet several times on the same spot while the MC keep searching for golds as for how the drunk know about the story: rumors
3. i see you never drink alcohol until you are drunk
4. as long as it worked
5. you are just assuming that the whole prison guards, army and government are working together to solve the mystery behind the ainu murder for the gold because they are not, main reason is that the fact that the amount of gold told to the prisoner and the amount of real gold hidden is massively different. as for how they got murdered, prison is not always filled with guy who steal from shop and get arrested, especially not on abashiri prison
6. perhaps rumors again but i am not sure
7. he was drunk
Apr 10, 2018 7:20 AM

Feb 2011
It's just the starting score, it happen all the time, even with animes later called AOTS.

It's a good thing the score is that low, it means many are having low expectations, it can only get better.

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Apr 10, 2018 7:21 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
RedScarf314 said:
MC single-handedly breaking WWI-style trench line. If you're going for Black Lagoon level of realism, at least bother to include some dual-wielding chicks.
Since when was this supposed to be a series focusing on the realism of war? Hell, that's the only battlefield action scene in the entire series. But keep in mind that Golden Kamuy is supposed to be over-the-top. Though, the anime did mess up, with having the soldiers just standing around. In the manga, you just get panels of Sugimoto taking down enemies one-by-one. He does the same in the anime, but you get a bunch of soldiers that don't shoot Sugimoto when they have a chance.

RedScarf314 said:
We see MC fighting in Japan-Russian war and shouting "I'm immortal Sugimoto". Two seconds later random drunk dumps exposition of the same fucking events. To the guy who fucking lived through this events. And how the fuck a random drunk would know this anyway?
The drunk says Sugimoto's events to Sugimoto, but it's done in a way where it makes sense. The drunk describes what he knows about him, then asks whether they're true or now. Also, a lot of people know about Sugimoto since he was infamous on the battlefield. As Sugimoto said before, he probably would've gotten a medal if it weren't for his aggressive behavior towards his superior officer. And besides, this isn't the first time the drunk has met Sugimoto

RedScarf314 said:
Then random drunk just casually tells MC a story about gold? Why? The? Fuck? Would he tell this story to this man?
He said that he found Sugimoto interesting at the moment. The story was said to keep the gu entertained. That being said, he was drunk and drunk people make dumb choices.

RedScarf314 said:
Playing pokemon with tattooed prisoners is an incredibly dumb means of coding.
Care to elaborate. Calling it dumb doesn't make it dumb. The series has already explained how the tattoos work. It was first described that it was a method to ensure that none of the prisoners can betray each other and they all must work together. But later, Asirpa mentioned that the way the tattoes were carved shows that these prisoners were meant to be skinned, which means that tattoos weren't meant to have people cooperate, but to lessen the people who know about the gold.

RedScarf314 said:
So the army's plan to get gold was to "transport" prisoners somewhere. What does this even mean? How is "transporting" achieve anything? If the plan was to let the prisoners escape and see where they go, how come the entire convoy got murdered?
Not sure if the anime mentioned this, but the governmental officials forced the prison to give up the prisoners. Which means that the prison they were originally in, was not governmentally-owned. They were transporting the prisoners to a governmentally-owned prison.

RedScarf314 said:
Dead friend in a flashback says "once the war ends, relationships between Japan and the US will get worse". How exactly a foot soldier can predict that?
Are people not allowed to make assumptions. He just said whatever was in his mind. And besides, he ended up being wrong. US and Japan's relation wasn't all that affected (or not for long) since they ended up being allies during WWI. It was WWII that ruined the relationship between the two countries.

RedScarf314 said:
Turns out random drunk didn't even mean to tell the gold story, because apparently it's a secret. Why? The? Fuck? He opened his mouth in a first place?
The answer's in your point. The dude was drunk, and drunk people make stupid mistakes.

If you try to nitpick this hard, then you can find "flaws" in every series. And the things you've listed weren't even flaws; they're easily refutable.
Apr 10, 2018 10:59 AM
Feb 2017
7.5 is an average rate..dont rate it based on your opinion..you guys that love this series too much might think it need 8 and above and not everyone like this series..so stop complaint..
Apr 10, 2018 11:50 AM

Jul 2010
GoldenDevilGamer said:
MutexFate said:
Because it sucks bruh.

It's what people usually do, Megalo Box for example is a masterpiece already.
Apr 10, 2018 11:54 AM

Nov 2016
It was a solid start,but nothing ground breaking.This is one of these series where the score is slowly going to rise as the progresses. Stay patient.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 10, 2018 12:14 PM

Jan 2017
I have a feeling this score will rise. This is one of my favorite shows of the season so far.

Apr 10, 2018 12:23 PM
Mar 2018
Scarlett_ryuken said:
Is it cause of the CGI bear?

this is MAl, dont take ratings seriously.
Apr 10, 2018 12:53 PM
Nov 2016
This is natural, good shows tend to have low ratings from the start.
Apr 10, 2018 1:23 PM

Apr 2016
Because ppl are retarded and complain about a CGI bear
Apr 10, 2018 1:56 PM
May 2016
If the vote is so "low" because of the bear's CG then people really must learn to distinguish the technical quality from the quality of the story, we must begin to open our eyes on this thing, if they really are "spectators of anime" otherwise they can go back to look at something else. However I agree with what was written above, do not take seriously the vote of MAL, because in life because of these votes made by children I lost so many masterpieces
Apr 10, 2018 2:57 PM
Dec 2015
CGI Bears and Wolves aside, there is still several reasons not to be happy about this adaptation.

-lack of gore (I mean that was obvious, but it's nonetheless disappointing, gore being an essential part of manga's appeal)
-panel-by-panel adaptation - Studio is not taking any risks and playing it safe. It's at least not as atrocious as, let's say, Junji Ito Collection, but it's a sign of poor direction, taking the easiest way.
-it's generally really mediocre. visuals aren't as great as in manga, and despite the animation being pretty average (that reflects how the standards in anime are low more than anything else), it just feels not good enough compared to the manga.

Manga is just way better, why go for the mediocre version when you can enjoy an amazing one instead.
Apr 10, 2018 11:56 PM

Apr 2016
I could add to the criticism that the voice acting wasn't good: I was wondering if Asirpa's seyuu was reading her text at some point. The tone is wrong.
As for the drunkard, he didn't speak like a drunkard either, which is also wrong.

You add that to the feel of the visuals and some plot directions and you could understand the show didn't impress much on those aspects. It felt cheap somehow.

I love the premise though and the score will rise up probably thanks to the story but not thanks to the production value : from the first episode we can probably already discard this last possibility.
Apr 11, 2018 2:03 AM
Dec 2007
The production values of the show are just too low for the episode to be considered good. A first episode is supposed to be the one that draws the audience to the series and this one has bad voice acting, bad animation, ugly CGI, horrendous art direction, mediocre overall direction and is rushed like a mid-season filler episode. I saw it after the new LOGH's second episode and it seemed like both shows were released fifteen years appart (there are seriously shows from the early 2000's that have better production values than this...). I know the studio's budget must be ridiculousy small, but how do you expect people to continue following a show, however good the characters and story is, when the production values are that bad ?

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 11, 2018 2:21 AM

Mar 2017
I gave it a 4/10 and dropped it. I know many people will disagree with that, but it just didn't impress me at all and doesn suit my taste. Big reasons for me were:

- not very good visuals (including awful CGI)
- I don't like the main character (angry badasses are boring)
- the story was actually okay, but didn't really hook me.
- I don't remember the soundtrack, so it must have been forgettable.
Apr 11, 2018 2:41 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Yes, the CGI of the bear/wolf was bad, but in my opinion the important, the most important is the development. To me the first episode it was for 8!!!
Apr 11, 2018 3:59 AM
Feb 2018
Frankly, because the first episode was... Honestly, not all that great. It's definitely not out and out awful, or bad, but it doesn't have anything that's impressing me just yet, art and sound is middle of the road, the intense pace made parts feel rushed, and the bits that are interesting now need to be fleshed out in the next few episodes.

The bad CGI bear (and fire, IMO looked even more jank) is just the candle on top of the cake.

And to those saying "distinguish quality of story from the technical quality", you do realize Anime is inherently visual, right? The two are supposed to go hand in hand. You don't get to ignore one for the benefit of the other, otherwise there's no point in translating it from the manga, which already embodies the story. (Junji Ito Collection being a prime example of hot garbage visuals taking a dump on a classic.)
ChubmouseApr 11, 2018 4:03 AM
Apr 11, 2018 6:13 AM
Mar 2018
cptlee39 said:
I gave it a 4/10 and dropped it. I know many people will disagree with that, but it just didn't impress me at all and doesn suit my taste. Big reasons for me were:

- not very good visuals (including awful CGI)
- the story was actually okay, but didn't really hook me.
- I don't remember the soundtrack, so it must have been forgettable.

sugimoto is not always angry badass, personally i think you should watch the 2nd episode
sugimoto personality gap between when fighting and eating will left you speechless
the author originally make this manga as ainu cooking manga with great detail on the ainu's culture, so there's not that much fighting at early tbh, except if the studio trying to butcher the culture part and make this action series
Apr 11, 2018 3:49 PM

Apr 2009
Well i want to watch this gold rush of an anime but i decided not to bcoz it's in my forte
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

Apr 11, 2018 6:47 PM

Jun 2012
Just keep in mind that if the setting is the wilderness and more animals show up, we will have more of that horrendous CGI bear.
Apr 11, 2018 8:55 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
cptlee39 said:
Wait until Sugimoto eats something XD
In all honesty, Sugimoto's much more sillier and fun than you would expect him to be. He's only truly angry/serious when fighting.
Apr 11, 2018 10:40 PM

Apr 2016
Don't take ratings on MAL seriously. They're anime on this website that get far to high ratings for no reason. They're anime that suffer in raitings due to the existence of another anime. People are are usually inconsistent with the way they rate. For me, everything above a 7.5 probably means that the general consensus of the anime is positive and can be good as anything with a higher rating.
Apr 12, 2018 1:22 AM

Jun 2014
Ratings in MAL are garbage. Form your own opinions. I find reading reviews a much reliable indicator of quality than the MAL score. Find people with like minded interests and avoid the sheep flocking from one big shiny toy to another.

Big, popular hyped properties get big scores from people who have no critical filter and rate everything they like a 10.

Sequels are greatly inflated because all the people who disliked something from the start obviously don't watch the sequel. I call it the Gintama Effect and you can see it this season with Shokugeki no Soma. MAL should pool all seasons under the same entry to avoid this.

Recency Bias. New stuff looks shiny and cool (when they have the budget of course) and anime looks more dated than live action from the same era. So annimated gems from the 70' s and 80's get slaughtered in the ratings "because the animation looks old". LOL. Imagine if film critics used that logic for the likes of Casablanca, Seven Samurais or The Godfather.

Apr 12, 2018 3:13 PM

May 2009
I guess anime only were offended by terrible cgi and mediocre animation and artstyle. Not unexpected after watching first episode.
Seriously, imagine these scenes, how awful they will look if all animals will be cgi.

Apr 12, 2018 4:13 PM

Apr 2011
Papi- said:
Because ppl are retarded and complain about a CGI bear

Basically sums this up.

Also, in many of the cases, MAL ratings are the total opposite of the quality of an anime. People are too fanatic and rate their favorite crappy cliche shows with full scores even if the first episode of that sequel is just a summary of the previous seasons.

On the other hand, some shows with fantastic storytelling and spectacular atmosphere tend to stuck with the mediocre ratings because of a totally unimportant CGI bear.

For me, this is easily the best premiere episode of the season - though I haven't watched the Steins Gate 0 yet.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2018

91 by XxEMOxKONATAxX »»
Apr 15, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2018

292 by Nilton_Junio »»
Apr 13, 10:47 AM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

41 by elviskocho1023 »»
Mar 24, 1:53 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 11 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Aug 8, 2018

24 by Karva1 »»
Mar 16, 9:24 PM

Poll: » Golden Kamuy Episode 9 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Aug 8, 2018

17 by Karva1 »»
Mar 16, 3:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.