Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 13, 2018 3:08 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
It's nice to be back. I enjoyed the first season quite a bit. I think this shorter format will work better for the series though.

I'm fine with Hotaru's new look, it's basically the same with a few minor details. I think they wanted this to look a bit more like the manga. I do however, miss the quality animation we had from the first season.

I think next week will be better, they just had to get the ball rolling.
Jan 13, 2018 3:15 PM

Mar 2014
Hime-sama said:
What i dont like is the duration.. really 12 minutes now. that is gay. ill watch it still but not happy.

It's worse when you realize that it's more like 9 minutes if you don't count the OP and ED songs.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jan 13, 2018 3:56 PM

May 2015
I didn't expect to see this return in a 12-minute format, but actually, maybe it'll work out better that way for this kind of show.

Enjoyable first episode.

Jan 13, 2018 4:37 PM
Aug 2011
Unfortunately Dagashi Kashi humor is focused on reaction faces and exaggerated gestures. It just don't work with animation quality we are served in this episode. I love manga, but anime was just boring, there is not enough movement to make it funny. I'm afraid, that unless it is made by Shaft or other studio, that understands importance of movement and gestures during conversation, and puts a lot of money in animating overblown face expressions, Dagashi Kashi anime simply won't be good.
Jan 13, 2018 5:08 PM

Nov 2017
Hmmmm,was looking forward to this,and,tbth,I wasn't that disappointed.
Yes,eps are shorter
Yes,Animation style is slightly different
But(and that's a big Butt),it still has the same sense of fun,and Hotaro is such a babe it doesn't matter to me,as long as she's back,and as manic as ever :)
Jan 13, 2018 5:24 PM

Nov 2015
The good: I laughed a lot, especially with the pepperoncino part of the episode. So, since that's really why i like this show, I'll definitely be watching.

The less-than-good: (1) I can't say I love the new character designs, and the OP and ED are just okay, (2) will Saya just go ahead and confess to Kokonotsu already?! And yeah that tease in the episode did get to me. So anyway that's obviously nbd but I like Saya and definitely ship her.

I'm glad this show is back and I'm glad it got me laughing. I'm very happy.
Jan 13, 2018 5:40 PM
Jul 2018
Not a fan of the new art style nor the shorter length.
Jan 13, 2018 5:57 PM
Sep 2017
Not sure why they had to shorten the episodes.. but I’ll take what I can get. animation was a bit off than what I was expecting, but it’s still Dagashi Kashi.
Jan 13, 2018 6:01 PM

Apr 2013
OMG I miss this show so much. The best girl Hotaru!

10/10

Jan 13, 2018 6:28 PM

May 2015
Man, the episode went fast... a shame this is only 12 minutes.
Jan 13, 2018 8:07 PM

Jan 2008
I hope this spawns up more doujinshis. This series has some good ones.

So much Hotaru plot in the opening. Hopefully we get more of her food innuendos.

The design change isn't major bit its pretty noticeable.
Jan 13, 2018 8:09 PM

Dec 2012
Now that I know what kind of show this is, I will probably enjoy it more than the first season. The fact that it's only 12 minutes also helps.
Jan 13, 2018 8:59 PM

Jan 2011
this is fine, Dagashi Kashi is better off being shorter so it doesn't over stay it's welcome
got some chuckles just seeing the gang back together totally forgot his dad is a youtuber lol

i'd be lying if i wasn't still bummed about the art style changed but it isn't outright terrible

at least we can all agree this will bring us some more doujins so that's a plus ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jan 13, 2018 10:41 PM

Aug 2015
already enjoying it less than the first season. Kinda glad its 12 min episode though, dont think i could sit through 24min of that
Jan 13, 2018 11:05 PM

May 2017
I'm glad it's only 12mins, previous season made me dozed off a lot in its episodes being 24 mins but I don't like the slight changes in designs, Saya's hair clips aren't that big, Hotaru's eyes beautiful rinnegan ain't noticeable anymore and her hair is less detailed smfh
Jan 14, 2018 1:17 AM

Oct 2008
t'was great to see Hotaru back on this S2 BUT! why did they make it 12 minutes per episode!? and not only just that...why is the character art quality instantly diminished!?!?
4/5.

Jan 14, 2018 1:42 AM
Jul 2018
I'll be fine with the 12 minutes as long as is well executed, I really, really liked the first season but the first time I tried watching I couldn't get into it, the second time I liked it but sometimes it felt like the anime was trying to make it to the end of the episode.
Jan 14, 2018 1:50 AM

Nov 2009
12-minute episodes really suit this show much better than 24 minutes, you don't get bored too much when it's shorter.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 14, 2018 2:29 AM

Jan 2013
As someone who loves instant noodles, I am quite shocked I never heard of the tricks they showed here!

I was eating them noodles all wrong my entire life O_O!!
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Jan 14, 2018 4:58 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Bestest girl of 2016 makes her reappearance in 2018. She's as wacky, crazy and sweet obsessed as ever and has the proportions that every red blooded male dreams about.

I wasn't too bothered about the new art and I think 12 minutes is a perfect length. I actually have an Asian delicacy shop in my town that carries Japanese stuff and I surprise the owner with my requests sometimes. Thanks to Kokonotsu and Hotary for that one.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 14, 2018 5:10 AM

Nov 2014
New season, new studio, same characters that still looks slightly stoned. I actually don't mind the shorter episode lengths, it's not like they had a story anyway.

I don't particlarly like the new artstyle, quite a downgrade imo. Hotaru's eyes were a very essential part of her slightly unhinged craziness, which has sadly been lost.
BurningSpiritJan 14, 2018 5:21 AM
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 14, 2018 5:27 AM
Sep 2012
PolarCyrus97 said:
TBS does it again probably with delayed anime. Happened last year with Seiren. it took 2 days after airing to get subs from CR.

Even worse, CR legal subs are not licensed in the U.S.
Jan 14, 2018 5:29 AM

Feb 2016
Not as good as the first season
Jan 14, 2018 9:10 AM

Mar 2013
Aversa said:
Hotaru is back with low blood pressure it seems.
Anyway she had some interesting dagashi ones again.
Was it just me or are the episodes much shorter than the first season?

The quality of the animation is smaller too. What a pity...

Jan 14, 2018 9:42 AM

Nov 2014
Our favorite candy trivia anime is back! I can't believe this got a second season, but here it is. Dagashi Kashi S2 is by a new studio and director. The designs are tweaked, though not shockingly different from the previous season; the essence is still there. Thankfully, the voice actors and music are the same—phew! Both continue to bring life and personality to the characters, perhaps not quite as effectively here. Some of the fun got drowned out early on by a flood of exposition. This first episode was bumpy and somewhat rushed for me, but not unwatchable. About a 4/5.
Jan 14, 2018 12:39 PM

Dec 2014
I feel like the 12 minutes episodes suit this series better.
Jan 14, 2018 2:21 PM

Aug 2012
Second season looks more like a downgrade...
Jan 14, 2018 4:24 PM

Feb 2012
Awww short episodes this season! But hey, didn't think this would see a second season in the first place so I guess I gotta be grateful! Time to take notes and head to my local Asian market!
Jan 14, 2018 7:12 PM

Dec 2014
the new op seemed nice ...I kinda miss kokonotsu father....lol his funny gags
Jan 15, 2018 3:36 AM

Jan 2011
I see they still have the cross eyes.
Jan 15, 2018 11:57 PM

Aug 2013
Really dont like the short format. I enjoyed first season because I was expecting it to be short format from the get-go, but they surprised me by making the episodes 24 mins. They just took a handful of chapters, adapted 24 mins worth, and separated each one with eye catches. Plus with the first season, the full length episodes allowed them to add anime original material and really give the characters more personality.

I dont mind the art style now that I've seen it. It does match the manga a bit more, and isnt really a drastic change at all. Even less of a change than Oregairu S1 and S2, and that wasnt a big change either.

Though another thing they did similar to Oregairu which is a negative this time, is that (so far), they seemed to tweak the voice acting a bit. Everyone knows how in S1 Hachiman was a bit more expressive and had lots of inner monologues, and in S2 he didnt talk much and his voice was all mumbly, despite being the same actor, because thats the direction the studio wanted to take.

Kind of seems to be the same case here. Kokonatsu seemed to be a bit less talkative and expressive than he was in S1, and almost more dismissive/gloomy. Saya was less expressive and her voice sounded a bit deeper too; I actually had to check and see if the seiyuus were the same.

With Hotaru, seemed like they downsized her chest a bit, but the trade off is that they're a bit more animated. I guess that's a fair trade since they didnt get that much smaller.
Jan 16, 2018 12:24 AM

Jun 2013
12 mins damn why?!
Jan 16, 2018 10:54 AM

Mar 2011
It's good to see Hotaru and Saya back.
I don't really mind the shorter episodes to be honest. Like others have already mentioned, it seems to fit the series.
Jan 16, 2018 12:02 PM

May 2016
This was this show I was anticipating the most this season and of course they cut the run time in half fml.
Jan 17, 2018 7:17 PM

Jun 2012
Why the episode is short length?

I've lost the sense how to enjoy this show, looks like I need to rewatch season 1 again.
Jan 19, 2018 9:00 PM

Jan 2015
Whoops, such duration. Means that everything to talk about is none other than Dagashi's history behind it and NO breaking time for it.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jan 20, 2018 9:36 PM

Mar 2009
Nice to have candy girl back.
Jan 21, 2018 7:46 AM

Apr 2011
That was very bleh. Disappointing, this was one of the shows I was looking forward to this season. The designs were off and the comedy doesn't work nearly as well. What a shame.
Jan 21, 2018 10:25 AM

May 2017
Going for the more savory Dagashi this episode. Main thing I noticed was that the ED/credits were nowhere near as good. Then again, the Alice in Wonderland credits from season 1 was epic.

Jury's still out on this one. Seems average 1st ep. Hopefully I'll all be eating my words, like delicious Dagashi, by the end of the season.

Still, nice that we have a bit more of sugar tits Hotaru.
Current Events Thread Topics...
Not even once.
Jan 22, 2018 7:23 PM

Aug 2008
Hime-sama said:
What i dont like is the duration.. really 12 minutes now. that is gay. ill watch it still but not happy.
Nahh, you're gay.
Jan 22, 2018 8:00 PM

Sep 2008
destructo22 said:
Hime-sama said:
Nahh, you're gay.

How about this.. you think its a great time duration, and i think its not its an opinion. do not call me anything its rude plus we arent here to do drama. we are here what we like or dislike. if you got a problem leave.
Delivery (^_^) set by Nate

Jan 23, 2018 2:41 AM

Jan 2014
So, just watched the first two episodes. The change in art style, which is in fact most notable in the backgrounds, actually doesn't bother me that much. The characters are clearly recognisable and it works.

What really bothers me though is the voice acting. Even though the Seiyu are all the same, they seem to be really struggling, especially Saya's.

Also, this:
OhTaKuSo said:
But the animation is a huge downgrade compared to season 1

From the moment Hotarou appears in the OP, you notice her boobs moving, neither in a realistic manner, nor as they did in season one. Instead they bump up and down like a faulty car suspension or a solid brick tied with a few rubber bands. It tuns out the whole animation is like this: clunky.

This, in combination with the voice acting, and yes, the change of art style as well, makes this season miss that inherent sexiness the first one had. In season one, you could feel the heat of summer, and whenever Hotarou was stuffing some dagashi you could feel Kokonotsu's uneasiness. Now, a typhoon feels like a Scottish drizzle, and Hotarou's soaked blouse is little more than a piece of laundry.
ibraheem234 said:
...I kinda miss kokonotsu father....lol his funny gags
Anise_Punter said:
I hope the dad character isn't gone the whole season, that guy is a laugh riot.

It seems like the chapter about You at Tamai-chan's place isn't going to be adapted, otherwise they would have shown him running there. That's a real shame, that chapter was legendary.

Other than that, the episodes story-wise and script-wise seem to be much closer to the manga, and Pop Pop Boat is perhaps my favourite chapter/dagashi from the series. It's really cute, and just so Japanese to give kids a toy to play with in bath that needs fire, pressure and boiling water.

I also like how season two so far seems to push canonical Kokonotsu x Hotarou even to such an extend that it rectifies season one's Saya bias a bit.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Jan 23, 2018 5:19 AM

Aug 2008
Hime-sama said:
destructo22 said:
Nahh, you're gay.

How about this.. you think its a great time duration, and i think its not its an opinion. do not call me anything its rude plus we arent here to do drama. we are here what we like or dislike. if you got a problem leave.
I just have a problem that someone still uses the word "gay" in a negative connotation.
Jan 23, 2018 7:17 AM

Jan 2013
Look who's back xD
I think that 12min episode format is much better, at least in this season.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jan 23, 2018 8:26 AM

Sep 2008
destructo22 said:
Hime-sama said:

I just have a problem that someone still uses the word "gay" in a negative connotation.

Okay then say that alright, i am sorry for saying that word. i changed it. i didnt meant any negative way just was upset of the time.
Delivery (^_^) set by Nate

Jan 25, 2018 9:32 AM

Nov 2011
They were not to make me such a dirty trick, because they have halved the duration of the episodes? As if that was not enough Hotaru was already crazy, now with these narrative times so tight has become a cyclone. The design style is identical to the past, but I noticed a slight difference in the drawings. Not bad, the opening and the ending.
Jan 29, 2018 10:34 PM
Oct 2013
I do love the fact everyone are still their usual selves (watched the dubbed episode just now). I wonder, by the ending visuals, if Hotaru might be after Kokonotsu's heart.

But my BIG QUESTION is what was the point of the opening scene that didn't affect the rest of the episode? Why was the shop rundown? Did Yo just say "Forget this" and ditch his son? I feel like there will be an actual "plot" this time around instead of random jokes
Jan 30, 2018 3:42 AM
May 2015
I prefer old Hotaru. Her color hair is better than new one. I am ok with new eyes color
Feb 2, 2018 10:29 AM

Feb 2013
Ah! Back again with this awesome show. Can't wait for more.
Apr 8, 2018 8:38 AM

Oct 2016
Did anyone else's copy have a message scroll along the bottom in Japanese around the 2:30-2:40 mark, when they see that You has left? It wasn't translated.

INB4 piracy, I'm streaming from AnimeLab.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dagashi Kashi 2 Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2018

43 by Meritas »»
Feb 4, 3:32 AM

Poll: » Dagashi Kashi 2 Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2018

40 by Meritas »»
Feb 4, 2:52 AM

» after the anime

Kutana_0P - Apr 1, 2023

7 by KitsuFrost »»
Jan 20, 12:25 PM

Poll: » Dagashi Kashi 2 Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2018

49 by Meritas »»
Jan 10, 1:14 AM

Poll: » Dagashi Kashi 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2018

98 by Muow »»
Aug 7, 2023 5:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.